PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Possibilities

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Preseason-Possibilities/022a8b81-579e-4a0d-a5c9-f433e9ae5635

Head Coach Josh McDaniels preaches the benefits of competition. Starting with Sunday's preseason opener, players will have their chance to shine.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels has expressed a desire for competition across the roster since arriving in Denver. An offseason of stockpiling talent and several weeks of training camp position battles have only served as reminders of McDaniels' commitment to that goal.

On Friday, the second-year head coach made it clear that stance hasn't changed.

A reporter asked McDaniels which position competitions he'd be paying the closest attention to in Sunday's preseason opener in Cincinnati.

McDaniels' reply? All of them, of course.

"I think our team knows that we're serious about playing the best guys on offense, on defense or in the kicking game," McDaniels said. "If they don't, I'm not sure where they've been the last two or three months."

For a team built around competition, the four preseason contests will offer all players a chance to earn their roles. Whether it's jockeying for first-team reps or just fighting to make the squad, the Broncos know that in the coming weeks they'll have valuable opportunities to impress coaches, starting Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium.

"This is what we've been training for," Robert Ayers said this week. "This is a big game for us. It's a big time."

At this point in training camp, many players are appreciative of the chance to play against some fresh competition after spending several hours a day drilling against teammates.

It's also a chance to get better in an environment much different than the hot afternoons spent on the Dove Valley practice field.

On Friday, McDaniels said he's expecting the Broncos to make a few mistakes in the preseason opener. That's why he said it's important not to get too upset if things don't go perfectly the first time out, but he's just hoping his team plays fast and puts itself in position to improve with each preseason contest.

"My goal always is to try to get better," Brandon Stokley said. "Even though it's the preseason, I'm trying to improve every day out here -- during practice and especially the games. You want to feel good about yourself heading into that first game."

One competition sure to catch McDaniels' attention on Sunday is at running back.

Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and LenDale White have not practiced this week due to injury, leaving opportunities for less experienced running backs against the Bengals. None of the running backs are expected to be sidelined long-term, so Sunday looms as an important chance to shine.

On Friday, McDaniels lauded the group for their progress while handling more practice reps than expected. Whether it's Lance Ball, Bruce Hall, Toney Baker or newly acquired Justin Fargas in the backfield on Sunday, they'll be competing for their spot on the 53-man roster.

"You just have to step up right now," said Ball, who has been taking the first running back rep during most 11-on-11 periods this week. "The guy that's playing well is going to play."

That's the attitude McDaniels has embraced during his Broncos tenure. Every snap is another chance to make an impact. Each drive is another opportunity for a player to show they're better than the guy ahead of them on the depth chart.

For the 80 Broncos currently on the roster, there's a lot of time in four games to show that.

That's an exciting thought for the head coach.

"I think there are a lot of battles that are still to be fought and still to be won," McDaniels said. "We're really excited about the competition we have at a lot of places."