PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Orton looks like real deal

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15775208

"i'm throwing the ball better than i ever have."

Walk into the Broncos' merchandise store at the team's Dove Valley headquarters, and it is easy to get confused.

The store screams "quarterback controversy," what with rack after rack of No. 15 Tim Tebow jerseys, in every size, color and style. You can find a No. 8, but you'll have to search for it.

Even in his own team's home store, Kyle Orton is the forgotten man.

There is a different message, though, coming from the other building at Dove Valley — the main building where the coaches' offices and the player locker room are located. Inside that facility, no one is forgetting Orton, who is having perhaps the most impressive camp of any Broncos player.

Through two weeks of camp, this much is clear:

Orton is the starting quarterback and unquestioned leader of the Broncos' offense.

"I'm feeling great," Orton said. "This is still the best that I've felt, and I'm throwing the ball better than I ever have and mentally just playing at a high level right now."

In Orton's head, things are clearer. In the huddle, his voice is louder and more confident. And when the ball is snapped, it's almost as if he's a different player.

"The other day, he zipped one in in the red zone, and I think everyone turned around and was like, 'Is that Kyle's ball?' because it had so much zip on it," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "You can tell he's been working."

Consider it a combination of experience in coach Josh McDaniels' offense, improved health and maybe a good old-fashioned case of a flame — in the form of Tebow and Brady Quinn — lit under his derrière.

"I'm sure he's thinking, this is my job and I'm going out to prove to myself, to everyone, to my teammates what they have in me," veteran safety Brian Dawkins said. "I know he's proved it to us guys on the other side. He's putting the ball in some tight spaces, making the checks that need to be made, and that builds confidence from the other guys."

Orton never will have the mobility of Tebow — "His wheels don't take him very far," McDaniels joked about Orton this week. He won't throw as pure and pretty a deep spiral as Quinn, but Orton has shown through the first two weeks of camp an increased mastery of McDaniels' playbook. Orton, along with most of the veteran starters, expects to play between 20 and 25 plays in Sunday's preseason opener at Cincinnati.

In 2009, Orton's critics said he wouldn't throw the ball deep, that he locked on to Brandon Marshall too much and ran a conservative, bubble-screen-based offense. Still, he threw for 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns, both career highs.

Through this camp, Orton has hardly held back. His mistakes are down — despite working without his top three running backs and behind a mostly new offensive line — and he has particularly excelled in the two-minute drill.

It also helps that for the first time in nearly two years, Orton is playing on two healthy ankles.

"He's made a lot of big throws down the field. We've changed, certainly, a lot of things that we're doing and being a little bit more aggressive in some areas, and he's really done that well," McDaniels said. "There are a lot of good things that he's feeling, and I think that's why he has so much confidence right now."

BroncoNut
08-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm excited to Orton.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Good for Kyle. Hopefully our makeshift O-line can protect him in limited action tomorrow. The last thing we need is another injury. I have a feeling we'll run the ball a lot tomorrow to see what we've got with all the backup RBs getting carries. I'm not expecting much out of Orton in the 1st preseason game other than to not get injured and to not throw any left handed INTs. ;)

*Although I would love to see him lead the offense on a TD scoring drive before he leaves the field*!

SR
08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
We'll see how that all works out come opening day.

broncofaninfla
08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
A lot of buzz about Orton this camp. Mcd has a QB in his second year of his system with a new OL. If Mcd's way is the right way then Denver fans should be in for a treat. If not, he'll be running out of excuses.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
A lot of buzz about Orton this camp. Mcd has a QB in his second year of his system with a new OL. If Mcd's way is the right way then Denver fans should be in for a treat. If not, he'll be running out of excuses.

You need to remember, this article is the thoughts of Lindsay Jones, and comments from Broncos players. Nothing in article of what Coach McD said.

Northman
08-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Thats kind of what im thinking too. Im seeing a lot of teams with new players, schemes, etc. opening up their preseason games looking REALLY good with great chemistry. McD's players are in place, the system is in place so i expect to see our 1st stringers making plays and looking sharp out of the gate. Cant wait for Sunday!

Lonestar
08-14-2010, 11:23 AM
The bungals will be remember stokelys stake in the heart last year.

Let's just hope that we play well and get out of the game injury free.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rationalfan
08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm excited to Orton.

"orton," a verb, meaning to grow scuzzy-cool facial hair and develop a bad reputation despite putting up good stats.

can't wait to use this in casual conversation. going to be the coolest. seriously.

Jagsbch
08-14-2010, 01:15 PM
We'll see how that all works out come opening day.

David garrard looks like the real deal this time of the year too.:D

Orton has the potential to shine, but the offensiveline is going to make it very difficult for him to survive I fear.

BroncoWave
08-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I found this quote quite revealing:

"The other day, he zipped one in in the red zone, and I think everyone turned around and was like, 'Is that Kyle's ball?' because it had so much zip on it," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "You can tell he's been working."

I won't name any names but some on here have spent countless hours defending Orton's arm strength but this quote shows that a Broncos player was shocked to see Orton throw a ball with zip on it. Very interesting.

jhildebrand
08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Lets see how Orton looks in the first couple of series against Cinci. They have a pretty good D and it should be a good indicator of where he is at this early in the offseason.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Lets see how Orton looks in the first couple of series against Cinci. They have a pretty good D and it should be a good indicator of where he is at this early in the offseason.

How Orton looks in the first couple of series will also depend on how the OL, RB's, WR's, TE's, etc. look. It's a package deal.

BroncoWave
08-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't think we can base too much on this game. We will be missing our best lineman, out top 3 backs, and a couple of our WRs. Also, we looked pretty piss poor in our first exhibition game last year then went on to start 6-0.

Now I do expect Orton to play better in this game than in his first exhibition game last season but I won't get too excited if he plays great or too down if he plays poorly.

I am most interested in seeing if McD is still playing it safe with Orton or if we begin to take some chances down the field. If it's the ladder, I will feel alot better about him this season. If we are still playing it safe though I'll be a little worried.

Northman
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
How Orton looks in the first couple of series will also depend on how the OL, RB's, WR's, TE's, etc. look. It's a package deal.

Sure, but lets not make excuses either. Watching the Ravens game the other night Brayton was totally abusing Michael Oher yet Flacco still played exceptionally well. Other players need to step up but the QB also has to make the plays when other areas break down.

Jagsbch
08-14-2010, 01:40 PM

Exactly

Northman
08-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't think we can base too much on this game. We will be missing our best lineman, out top 3 backs, and a couple of our WRs. Also, we looked pretty piss poor in our first exhibition game last year then went on to start 6-0.

Now I do expect Orton to play better in this game than in his first exhibition game last season but I won't get too excited if he plays great or too down if he plays poorly.

I am most interested in seeing if McD is still playing it safe with Orton or if we begin to take some chances down the field. If it's the ladder, I will feel alot better about him this season. If we are still playing it safe though I'll be a little worried.

Unfortuantely, if McD is going to use the lack backs, etc as a crutch than it may be wise not too push the envelope and have Kyle take risks that he doesnt think he can make. Ive seen many on here state that we will be fine regardless of the injuries because its the "team" concept that works. If that truly is the case than everything else is pretty much irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. You make due with the players you have and if the system is the key than we should be fine. I expect a impressive performance considering what ive seen around the league with other teams who have faced scheme and personnel changes themselves.

broncophan
08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I would like to think the qb we have to open the season....would have earned the spot.....fine with me if Orton starts every game this year....that would mean a successful season.

LRtagger
08-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Unfortuantely, if McD is going to use the lack backs, etc as a crutch than it may be wise not too push the envelope and have Kyle take risks that he doesnt think he can make. Ive seen many on here state that we will be fine regardless of the injuries because its the "team" concept that works. If that truly is the case than everything else is pretty much irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. You make due with the players you have and if the system is the key than we should be fine. I expect a impressive performance considering what ive seen around the league with other teams who have faced scheme and personnel changes themselves.

McD won't use it as a crutch. I'm sure he will expect the backups to go out there and do their jobs.

But you may find some fans making excuses if we don't look great right out of the gate. And you may find some fans crying that the sky is falling.

If we look good or bad, everyone will just need to take a deep breath and realize its the preseason. Let's just hope, regardless of how we perform in the preseason, that we get everyone (except Doom) to Jacksonville for the opener.

broncophan
08-14-2010, 01:53 PM
McD won't use it as a crutch. I'm sure he will expect the backups to go out there and do their jobs.

But you may find some fans making excuses if we don't look great right out of the gate. And you may find some fans crying that the sky is falling.

If we look good or bad, everyone will just need to take a deep breath and realize its the preseason. Let's just hope, regardless of how we perform in the preseason, that we get everyone (except Doom) to Jacksonville for the opener.

Oh God.....we went through that crap with Plummer/Cutler....and look where that got us......nowhere........I don't think I could stand that again already......I know what you are saying though....

BroncoWave
08-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Oh God.....we went through that crap with Plummer/Cutler....and look where that got us......nowhere........I don't think I could stand that again already......I know what you are saying though....

If Orton struggles like Plummer did that season, the Jake/Jay wars of those days will likely pale in comparison to the mushroom cloud that will erupt on this board with Orton/Tebow debates.

broncophan
08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
If Orton struggles like Plummer did that season, the Jake/Jay wars of those days will likely pale in comparison to the mushroom cloud that will erupt on this board with Orton/Tebow debates.

yea.....I know.....:rolleyes:.....let's hope not.....

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15774962

His body is sore, his mind spinning with visions of a new playbook dancing in his head, but running back Justin Fargas couldn't be happier.

The veteran, who was on the practice field Wednesday for the first time with the Broncos, is hoping to get some work Sunday night in the team's preseason opener at Cincinnati.

"They're going to keep it pretty basic for me, things I can handle, but I'll continue to progress in the preseason," Fargas said Friday. "I do feel good, but it's different than just working out on your own. You have to get your body used to it. You've got some pain and soreness to work through, but you expect it."

With the Broncos not expected to take Knowshon Moreno (hamstring), Correll Buckhalter (neck/back) or LenDale White (left leg) on the trip because of injuries, they figure to start Lance Ball in the backfield.

Lately, Ball has gotten the most work with the starters, including some in Friday morning's practice. Fargas, as well as Bruce Hall, could be in the game fairly quickly.

Fargas, who had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee earlier this year and was released by the Raiders, worked out for several teams before signing with the Broncos. Fargas rushed for a career-best 1,009 yards for the Raiders in 2007, but the total dropped to 491 in 2009 as he split time with Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Fargas likely will play more on first- and second-down situations because pass protection responsibilities usually are the most difficult part of a new offense for a running back to learn.

"But he's working hard at it," Mc- Daniels said. "We'll see how far he can push it between now and Sunday, and we'll play him accordingly."

Dress rehearsal.

The Broncos practiced at Invesco Field on Friday morning, in large part to indoctrinate new players about pregame duties, including where on the field each position group does pregame warm-ups and how the team gathers in the bench area.

The team also used the coach-to- player communication devices.

"Something you do once every camp," McDaniels said. "Talk about what we're gonna do at halftime, pregame, in the locker room, how we're gonna set up the benches. It's more of an organizational thing."

Still waiting.

McDaniels said the status of some injured players will be evaluated this morning before final decisions are made about who makes the trip.

But if players such as safety Brian Dawkins (right ankle) aren't healthy enough to play in the game, they won't travel. Dawkins, who has practiced sparingly in recent days, was planning on making the trip but did not practice Friday.

Footnotes.

Defensive lineman Ben Garland, a graduate of the Air Force Academy, was not at practice but is expected to make the trip. As part of his military obligations, Garland has to work one day a week — usually on Friday. . . . Tight end Marquez Branson, who suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury earlier this week, returned to practice with his ankle heavily taped.