PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton maintains his focus

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/15556/kyle-orton-maintains-his-focus

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A funny thing happened after the Denver Broncos brought two quarterbacks to town this offseason.

Kyle Orton -- the man the Broncos were clearly looking to, at least, challenge with the moves -- has flourished. Orton had a terrific offseason session and has followed it up with a fine training camp so far.

“I think it’s my best offseason of my career,” Orton said. ‘Hopefully, I follow it up with my best season of my career. I feel really good about it.”

Orton could be forgiven if he was dour this camp. After all, it’s not about him. All eyes are on rookie Tim Tebow. Denver made a huge statement by trading three draft picks to move up and take the former Florida star at No. 25. Denver clearly thinks Tebow is the quarterback of the future and if he isn’t, it won't be known until after Denver gives Tebow the keys to the offense.

A month before drafting Tebow, Denver traded for Brady Quinn. The team made it clear Orton was still the starter for 2010.

However, it’s never a great sign for the incumbent when two players are brought in during the offseason. Still, Orton has done all the right things. He signed his restricted free-agent tender fairly early and joined his teammates for the offseason. Orton, who is set to be a free agent in 2001, has not pouted. He has just gone out and done his job.

“That’s how I’ve always done it.” said Orton, who was a part of the package that Denver got from Chicago in the Jay Cutler deal. “I don’t care what else is going on. I’m just here to do my job and lead this team.”

Lonestar
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
IIRC in another thread he commented on never being able to compete for a QB job till this past year.

IN CHI he was more or less told that the job was Rex's and he was not going to get it unless Rex was injured..

Sounds to me like he is embracing the run and with a years head start it will be tough to unseat him.

Is he a great QB who the hell knows guess we will see if he can have a career year and get a great contract somewhere for next year and beyond.

Unless Quinn and Tebow fall flat on their faces it does not sound like it will be in DEN.

I wish him the best because if he does have a career year then we will have a good season.

I'm hoping that everyone can jump on this bandwagon in-spite of their past feelings.

topscribe
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
IIRC in another thread he commented on never being able to compete for a QB job till this past year.

IN CHI he was more or less told that the job was Rex's and he was not going to get it unless Rex was injured..

Sounds to me like he is embracing the run and with a years head start it will be tough to unseat him.

Is he a great QB who the hell knows guess we will see if he can have a career year and get a great contract somewhere for next year and beyond.

Unless Quinn and Tebow fall flat on their faces it does not sound like it will be in DEN.

I wish him the best because if he does have a career year then we will have a good season.

I'm hoping that everyone can jump on this bandwagon in-spite of their past feelings.

I kept maintaining that Orton has played a good half of his non-rookie career
with a high ankle sprain. I never guessed it was worse than that, that he
played on at least one more like 3/4 of that time and with high sprains to both
ankles the last half of last year.

The more I learn about Orton, the more impressed I become . . .

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I kept maintaining that Orton has played a good half of his non-rookie career
with a high ankle sprain. I never guessed it was worse than that, that he
played on at least one more like 3/4 of that time and with high sprains to both
ankles the last half of last year.

The more I learn about Orton, the more impressed I become . . .

-----

You say impressed, I say concerned.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
From another article I just posted:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ential-broncos

# Orton has quietly been a star in camp. He had a strong offseason and is, by far, the most accurate of three quarterbacks. While the future is Tebow’s in Denver, Orton is going to do everything he can to make 2010 special before he hits the free-agency market in 2011.

Lonestar
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
You say impressed, I say concerned.

just another ray of sunshine

NorCalBronco7
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
just another ray of sunshine

Are Ortons injuries not a concern? Im sure anybody can make UV rays out of it, but I find it hard to do.

Lonestar
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Are Ortons injuries not a concern? Im sure anybody can make UV rays out of it, but I find it hard to do.

not any more than any one else's.

He has had a few years behind abysmal Olines, fix that problem which it seems like they are trying to do with the "beef and nasty" and that becomes a thing of the past.

Is it so hard to think that just maybe IF given the time to absorb the playbook, (everyone not just KO) that it may be a damned good year for the TEAM.

that he just may be a fine QB just been in bad situations. notice I did nto say the next coming of Manning just a fine QB that has not been allowed to blossom.

NorCalBronco7
08-11-2010, 11:13 PM

He has had a few years behind abysmal Olines, fix that problem which it seems like they are trying to do with the "beef and nasty" and that becomes a thing of the past.

Is it so hard to think that just maybe IF given the time to absorb the playbook, (everyone not just KO) that it may be a damned good year for the TEAM.

that he just may be a fine QB just been in bad situations. notice I did nto say the next coming of Manning just a fine QB that has not been allowed to blossom.

Im not so sure pass protection is why Orton cant stay healthy. It helps, but some players get more injured than others. Orton has been plaqued with injuries almost every year. Hes soft.

Orton will be much better prepared this year, but I dont think his stats will reflect it because of the loss of Marshall. The running game will be much improved though and take pressure off Orton.

Northman
08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Lets hope he can stay focused. Caught some clips of the training camp on NFL Network and he had a knack of throwing the ball to the defenders.

Northman
08-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Hes soft.

Absolutely.

Softskull
08-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Strangely, I expect Orton to be the highlight of this years offense. If he remains healthy, however doubtful that may be, he should have a good year.

Lonestar
08-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Im not so sure pass protection is why Orton cant stay healthy. It helps, but some players get more injured than others. Orton has been plaqued with injuries almost every year. Hes soft.

Orton will be much better prepared this year, but I dont think his stats will reflect it because of the loss of Marshall. The running game will be much improved though and take pressure off Orton.

so negative you are.

I'm just guessing you have never been behind the OLINE.

When you are violently being thrown to the ground by guys that are 40-80 pounds heavier than you are and when one hits you high and another hits you low tendons tend to strain in some cases Break.

IIRC the first time it happened he had his ankle rolled up from behind by one of his own men while trying to sneak the ball.

just maybe you should walk a mile in his mocs before proclaiming him soft. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lonestar
08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Strangely, I expect Orton to be the highlight of this years offense. If he remains healthy, however doubtful that may be, he should have a good year.

I see him having a career year IF that OLINE can protect him. Not saying that I want him back as our starter in 11 but we maybe at that point IF Tebow does not progress like he should this year.

NorCalBronco7
08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
so negative you are.

I'm just guessing you have never been behind the OLINE.

When you are violently being thrown to the ground by guys that are 40-80 pounds heavier than you are and when one hits you high and another hits you low tendons tend to strain in some cases Break.

IIRC the first time it happened he had his ankle rolled up from behind by one of his own men while trying to sneak the ball.

just maybe you should walk a mile in his mocs before proclaiming him soft. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OH is that what Qbs endure???? Thanks for the insightful (lol) info on a Qbs situation. I had no idea it was that hard....

It doesnt take a genius, or being a Qb to understand Orton is not the tuffest player on the field. Other Qbs gets sacked much more than Orton and dont repeatedly get injured, year in year out. Hes plaqued with them, much, much more than the average Qb. Rationalize it however you like, but not every Qb gets hurt every god damn year. Hes soft.

Shazam!
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I dont think the issue of bringing in other QBs (besides Tebow's fame) is an issue.

Denver desperately needed a backup QB not only to push Orton but especially after Simms proved to be far from even mediocre.

Every team except maybe 2 or 3 teams grabs a QB of the future, especially when one of TT's talent is available? Nothing wrong with that.

It's a business and Orton knows that. If this all pushes him to play at a higher level, God bless.

topscribe
08-12-2010, 12:39 AM

Why does it have to be either/or? Yes, I am concerned about Orton's injuries,
and I hope he can stay injury-free this next year. At the same time, I am
impressed with his sheer toughness and the fact that he was able to rate even
in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs while playing with those flat tires.

If he can perform as he did under those situations - with being in an unfamiliar
system with a new playbook and a new supporting cast thrown in - I am
excited to see what he can do with all those inhibiting factors removed . . .

-----

topscribe
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
OH is that what Qbs endure???? Thanks for the insightful (lol) info on a Qbs situation. I had no idea it was that hard....

It doesnt take a genius, or being a Qb to understand Orton is not the tuffest player on the field. Other Qbs gets sacked much more than Orton and dont repeatedly get injured, year in year out. Hes plaqued with them, much, much more than the average Qb. Rationalize it however you like, but not every Qb gets hurt every god damn year. Hes soft.

Im not being negative, unlike your dumbass, condesending post (talk about ironic) until now. Ok thanks.

No, he may have a point. When one cannot show empathy, that is a definite
sign that one has never been there, done that. I have. Therefore, I can
appreciate Orton's fortitude and toughness and his performance in his situation.

Otherwise, however, there is no need for the hate and vitriol you show in
your post. There is no reason why we should not be able to disagree without
that hate . . .

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Why does it have to be either/or? Yes, I am concerned about Orton's injuries,
and I hope he can stay injury-free this next year. At the same time, I am
impressed with his sheer toughness and the fact that he was able to rate even
in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs while playing with those flat tires.

If he can perform as he did under those situations - with being in an unfamiliar
system with a new playbook and a new supporting cast thrown in - I am
excited to see what he can do with all those inhibiting factors removed . . .

-----

Im with you. I hope hes stay healthy for us to have a chance at the playoffs. But I think more than likely he will get injured at some point in the season because he is injury prone. Hopefully not though....

Orton will be really prepared for this season. I also think he will be playing with a lot of confidence. Chemisty will be a major issue with the young Wrs and I hope they gel.

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2010, 01:05 AM
No, he may have a point. When one cannot show empathy, that is a definite
sign that one has never been there, done that. I have. Therefore, I can
appreciate Orton's fortitude and toughness and his performance in his situation.

Otherwise, however, there is no need for the hate and vitriol you show in
your post. There is no reason why we should not be able to disagree without
that hate . . .

-----

How can Orton always get injured and be considered tough? Orton not getting hurt in the first place is tougher than playing with those injuries. Hes always injured. Most would call him injury prone. Thats hardly tough.

Empathy??? WTF does that have to do with Orton being tough. Please, dont make a life lesson out of a simple football conversation.

topscribe
08-12-2010, 01:21 AM
How can Orton always get injured and be considered tough? Orton not getting hurt in the first place is tougher than playing with those injuries. Hes always injured. Most would call him injury prone. Thats hardly tough.

Empathy??? WTF does that have to do with Orton being tough. Please, dont make a life lesson out of a simple football conversation.

Empathy has everything to do with this because there seem many who lack it
in this case. Since I have been injured on the field, I can empathize more than
one who has not. Therefore, I feel I have a greater grip on "toughness" in this
case than many.

Having said that, I am saying that Orton can be considered tough as nails, IMO,
because - not once, but twice - he played with injuries that have put many
people on crutches, and he kept playing.

But I know this has been hard on you, NorCal. Just take a few deep breaths
and relax. It will pass. ;)

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Empathy has everything to do with this because there seem many who lack it
in this case. Since I have been injured on the field, I can empathize more than
one who has not. Therefore, I feel I have a greater grip on "toughness" in this
case than many.

Having said that, I am saying that Orton can be considered tough as nails, IMO,
because - not once, but twice - he played with injuries that have put many
people on crutches, and he kept playing.

But I know this has been hard on you, NorCal. Just take a few deep breaths
and relax. It will pass. ;)

-----

Tough as nails........Yeah ok. :lol:

The dude gets injured every ten seconds and hes "tough". Thats great.

Top, the only thing hard is your thick skull. Believing Ortons a badass because his ankles tweaked and his fingers banged up, then you forgot who Ronnie Lott or Jack Youngblood are. They're "tough as nails". Not Orton. Hes brittle.

topscribe
08-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Tough as nails........Yeah ok. :lol:

The dude gets injured every ten seconds and hes "tough". Thats great.

Top, the only thing hard is your thick skull. Believing Ortons a badass because his ankles tweaked and his fingers banged up, then you forgot who Ronnie Lott or Jack Youngblood are. They're "tough as nails". Not Orton. Hes brittle.

I believe you and I are talking about two different things. I don't define "tough"
by the size of a dude's biceps. I don't know how "brittle" Orton is. That is not
"toughness" in my book. "Toughness" is his ability and willingness to play through
injuries so serious that their type has put people on crutches. Orton played in
pain, and he kept playing . . . and playing . . . and playing. For 1˝ years, he
played on a high ankle sprain - and for ˝ a year, he played on two high ankle
sprains.

BTW, regarding past players, I remember Frank Tripucka. Yes, and I remember
Bart Starr. I entered the contest in 1959 to name the new team that would
become the Denver Broncos. Do you remember that?

Now, what would you like to know? :coffee:

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2010, 02:31 AM
I believe you and I are talking about two different things. I don't define "tough"
by the size of a dude's biceps. I don't know how "brittle" Orton is. That is not
"toughness" in my book. "Toughness" is his ability and willingness to play through
injuries so serious that their type has put people on crutches. Orton played in
pain, and he kept playing . . . and playing . . . and playing. For 1˝ years, he
played on a high ankle sprain - and for ˝ a year, he played on two high ankle
sprains.

BTW, regarding past players, I remember Frank Tripucka. Yes, and I remember
Bart Starr. I entered the contest in 1959 to name the new team that would
become the Denver Broncos. Do you remember that?

Now, what would you like to know? :coffee:

-----

Im sure you hold a wealth of pro football knowledge. :salute: I admire that, really. The history of the game has intrigued me ever since I was a kid.

I suppose because you can drop names like Tripucka and Starr, your view of Ortons injury situation has more credibility. It does. I just dont see the toughness. Hes tough when he plays injured, but hes not tough enough not to get injured. Your probably do this :confused: So lets agree to disagree. I dont hate the guy, I just dont really like him. Reminds me of Griese.

What would I like to know? Your first football game , when and where? Also was Jim Brown the best RB you've ever seen? Old timers give me that all the time, and by looking over nfl films, I kinda agree. And why are you up so late, shouldnt your bed time be around 8 :laugh: joking.

Lonestar
08-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Can you believe that Orton does not have toughness to stay un scathed while being the ONE guy on the TEAM that the defense targets.

:laugh:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
08-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Im sure you hold a wealth of pro football knowledge. :salute: I admire that, really. The history of the game has intrigued me ever since I was a kid.

I suppose because you can drop names like Tripucka and Starr, your view of Ortons injury situation has more credibility. It does. I just dont see the toughness. Hes tough when he plays injured, but hes not tough enough not to get injured. Your probably do this :confused: So lets agree to disagree. I dont hate the guy, I just dont really like him. Reminds me of Griese.

What would I like to know? Your first football game , when and where? Also was Jim Brown the best RB you've ever seen? Old timers give me that all the time, and by looking over nfl films, I kinda agree. And why are you up so late, shouldnt your bed time be around 8 :laugh: joking.

No, I understand, and we essentially agree, I think. Orton's toughness in
playing through injuries can be admired, but his possibly being injury-prone is
cause for concern. Right?

My first football game playing was in high school. It was a very small high
school, with 21 in my entire graduating class in Grover, Colo., a little hamlet
with a population of about 125 (if you count the horse) about seven miles
away from the Wyoming boarder and 14 from Nebraska, to give you an idea
of its location.

My uncle, BTW, built the high school building they still use out there now as
Pawnee H.S., as I understand (have completely lost touch). I'm sure it is still
tiny, and I would still love to live back out there.

Anyway, all our games were on a dirt field. We knew nothing of playing on
grass. Teams were composed of eight men, not eleven. We didn't have
enough boys for eleven men in those schools out there. (Wikepedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football)has a little
writeup on eight-man football if you're interested.) I played for them in my
freshman and sophomore years. (9th grade was H.S. out there.)

We moved into Greeley, Colo., during my junior year, and there I joined the
eleven-man team and learned what it was like to play on grass. We had what
I believe was the best team in the state, but nearly the entire senior class on
the team was busted for drinking and was tossed off the team. (I wasn't
involved, being only a junior and not "in" with the seniors.) So one of the best
teams in the state became the worst in the conference.

Anyway, I went on to the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) in Greeley
(Vincent Jackson's alma mater) in 1964 - it was still Colorado State College
then and would remain so until I was nearly graduated. BTW, my grandmother
graduated with that school in 1900, when it was Colorado Teachers College,
with a class of seven, IIRC, and years later my uncle - the one who eventually
built Grover High - was the 7th ranked wrestler in the nation with the same
school.

Me? I rode the bench in college. I wasn't very good on that level.

Okay, I've bored you enough with that.

The best RB? Jim Brown was the best pure rusher, IMO. Walter Payton was
the best RB. I believe, however, Terrell Davis would present a strong argument
there - although I don't know how much my orange blood enters into that
opinion. But, going back to Jim Brown, he would be a superstar today, IMO.

Johnny Unitas was the best QB I have ever seen, although I have to qualify
that with noting that I watched him through a boy's eyes. But few have ever
taken command of a team as he could.

Okay, this thread is about Kyle Orton. :focus:

Here is my opinion on him. If he can finally stay healthy, he can vault himself
right to the cusp (maybe not in) the elite - the "best of the rest," if you will.
He is cerebral, accurate, strong-armed, has a quick release, has good field
vision, is great at checking down. But all this relies on staying healthy. And
all this is admittedly my own opinion. This year, he will either justify it or make
a liar out of me.

We'll see . . .

-----

Northman
08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I played Qb and know full well what tough is and what soft is. Orton is soft. Period.

Lonestar
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Well north I guess that says it all.

Which NFL TEAM was that on? Just for comparison sake that is.

I guess we can close the thread now.

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2010, 01:12 PM
No, I understand, and we essentially agree, I think. Orton's toughness in
playing through injuries can be admired, but his possibly being injury-prone is
cause for concern. Right?

My first football game playing was in high school. It was a very small high
school, with 21 in my entire graduating class in Grover, Colo., a little hamlet
with a population of about 125 (if you count the horse) about seven miles
away from the Wyoming boarder and 14 from Nebraska, to give you an idea
of its location.

My uncle, BTW, built the high school building they still use out there now as
Pawnee H.S., as I understand (have completely lost touch). I'm sure it is still
tiny, and I would still love to live back out there.

Anyway, all our games were on a dirt field. We knew nothing of playing on
grass. Teams were composed of eight men, not eleven. We didn't have
enough boys for eleven men in those schools out there. (Wikepedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football)has a little
writeup on eight-man football if you're interested.) I played for them in my
freshman and sophomore years. (9th grade was H.S. out there.)

We moved into Greeley, Colo., during my junior year, and there I joined the
eleven-man team and learned what it was like to play on grass. We had what
I believe was the best team in the state, but nearly the entire senior class on
the team was busted for drinking and was tossed off the team. (I wasn't
involved, being only a junior and not "in" with the seniors.) So one of the best
teams in the state became the worst in the conference.

Anyway, I went on to the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) in Greeley
(Vincent Jackson's alma mater) in 1964 - it was still Colorado State College
then and would remain so until I was nearly graduated. BTW, my grandmother
graduated with that school in 1900, when it was Colorado Teachers College,
with a class of seven, IIRC, and years later my uncle - the one who eventually
built Grover High - was the 7th ranked wrestler in the nation with the same
school.

Me? I rode the bench in college. I wasn't very good on that level.

Okay, I've bored you enough with that.

The best RB? Jim Brown was the best pure rusher, IMO. Walter Payton was
the best RB. I believe, however, Terrell Davis would present a strong argument
there - although I don't know how much my orange blood enters into that
opinion. But, going back to Jim Brown, he would be a superstar today, IMO.

Johnny Unitas was the best QB I have ever seen, although I have to qualify
that with noting that I watched him through a boy's eyes. But few have ever
taken command of a team as he could.

Okay, this thread is about Kyle Orton. :focus:

Here is my opinion on him. If he can finally stay healthy, he can vault himself
right to the cusp (maybe not in) the elite - the "best of the rest," if you will.
He is cerebral, accurate, strong-armed, has a quick release, has good field
vision, is great at checking down. But all this relies on staying healthy. And
all this is admittedly my own opinion. This year, he will either justify it or make
a liar out of me.

We'll see . . .

-----

Right.

Thank you for your write up. You have a lot of history in Co. I have a lot of respect for that. My father is from Denver and I still have many, many family members in Pueblo(sp) and colorado springs. Its beautiful up there. Ive been wanting to go back, but Ive stuck that on the back burner for a while.

I cant imagine playing football on straight dirt. That's pretty raw. I grew up in a small town as well, and the first graduating class was around 10. So I understand the struggle you had not fielding a whole team. It took two years before Foresthill High could even compete...

:salute:

Orton is average. Nothing more, nothing less. He is intelligent and can manage an offense pretty well. Check downs is what he preffers. He has minimal ability throwing mid-deep. Hes safe with the ball, almost at times to a fault. He may be considered a leader by teamates, but the intensity he shows on the field is simply not there (the pats game last year was an exception, I just wish he brought that attitude every week). Lastly and most importantly, Ortons boring as hell to watch.

Overall though, looking at his situation and how the Broncos obtained him, Im pretty happy. I think we got great vaule in the Cutler trade when Orton was thrown in. I think he has another average year and our record with refect not what Ortons does, but what our defense does.

tomjonesrocks
08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Until he proves he can get the ball accurately more than 15 yards down the field or improvise when the play breaks down (instead of folding like a lawn chair when the *slightest* bit of pressure comes his way) I don't see why there's any reason to get excited.

Seems like a decent guy and teammate, but he's a steady backup for someone and that's it.

claymore
08-12-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.headacresfarm.com/images/ichabod1.gif

slim
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
That goat needs some underpants.

Lonestar
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Well as it stands eight now this up coming season rides on his shoulders.

I for one hope he has a contract year so he can move on to a TEAM whose fans may appriecate him.

Northman
08-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Appreciating a player and being realistic about his talent level are two different things. For every person that has said he isnt all that still say he is a good guy and team player.

topscribe
08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
That goat needs some underpants.

Wrong. Clay wants it ready at all times.

-----

slim
08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Wrong. Clay wants it ready at all times.

-----

I think a g-string might pique clay's interest.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-qbaccord

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—When the Denver Broncos’ practice at Invesco Field was over, thousands of fans who had been incessantly chanting Tim Tebow’s name pushed toward the railings to beg for his autograph.

They clicked photos of the hideous haircut that linebacker Wesley Woodyard had buzzed into his head that afternoon in a rookie ritual, the friar-like images, like everything Tebow, going viral on the Internet.

Female fans fawned over Brady Quinn, the ruggedly handsome quarterback who arrived in Denver just ahead of Tebow’s selection in the first round of the NFL draft this spring.

Kyle Orton? He slipped out a side exit almost unnoticed.

Nothing new there—at the team’s headquarters in suburban Denver, the boisterous cheers from Tebowmaniacs begin the second the former Florida star steps out onto the football field to start stretching. They don’t end until he’s done meeting and greeting his fixated fans, which, during two-a-days, can be just before darkness descends upon Dove Valley.

Usually drawing quite the crowd himself is Quinn, the former first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

Orton, meanwhile, doesn’t rate a single display jersey at the satellite trailer the Broncos team store is operating inside the parking lot at the club headquarters, where dozens of Tebow jerseys—already the top seller in the NFL — are going fast.

Many days, Orton can slip past the media horde hanging on Tebow’s every word and head right into the locker room without breaking stride, nobody bothering the starting quarterback for his thoughts.

This for an incumbent who is so far ahead of the others in both understanding and execution of Josh McDaniels’ intricate offense that the real intrigue has been relegated to this: Who will serve as Orton’s backup in 2010?

Even if the more-experienced Quinn gets that nod, Tebow figures to see plenty of action in special packages such as the Wildcat formation or in the red zone, cameo appearances that will have to satisfy the Tebowmaniacs while Orton quietly leads the Broncos offense.

Almost nowhere else in the NFL is the starting quarterback so stealthy, solitary or secluded as Orton is in Denver, where he signed a one-year, $2.621 million tender as a restricted free agent this offseason because the Broncos weren’t willing to give him a long-term deal despite his 29-19 record as a starter in Chicago and Denver.

So, where’s the love for Kyle Orton?

“I don’t need love,” Orton insisted. “I just need wins.”

Orton doesn’t seem the least bit fazed by the hoopla surrounding Tebow or the lack of devotion he’s getting from the fans or the front office.

“I come out here every day and try to get the team and the offense to where we can win games. That’s really my main focus,” Orton told The Associated Press.

For those actually paying attention, Orton has been worth noticing during training camp. His comfort level and accuracy of his throws are way ahead of Tebow and Quinn. His teammates look at him as their unquestioned leader, with co-captain Champ Bailey declaring, “He’s my guy.”

McDaniels’ too.

Ever since bringing in Quinn and Tebow, McDaniels has insisted Orton is still the starter—but that he’d have to fend off his rivals in training camp.

While Tebow blows away the competition in post-practice wind sprints, Orton’s doing the same at quarterback, even if Broncos fans aren’t paying close attention.

“He’s not under the radar on our team, I know that,” McDaniels said. “He’s started off extremely well. He’s accurate. There’s nothing in our scheme that he can’t execute. He gets us in the right play 99 out of 100 or 100 out of 100 times and the ball’s going to the right place.”

It’s not just a mental leap but a physical one.

Orton is more mobile in the pocket and is stepping into throws with the good mechanics and proper footwork that eluded him almost all last season.

“Physically, I’m healthy finally,” Orton said. “When I came over from Chicago I was still battling my right ankle and never really got that right. Then we got into the season and I did my left ankle and I was playing on two flat tires, basically. That’s no fun. I’m just happy I’m feeling good for the first time. When you’re a quarterback and you’re not playing with your feet it’s a tough situation. You’re using a lot of arm and poor mechanics and all that stuff.”

This summer, his passes are precise, as are his reads.

“Everybody plays through injuries and a quarterback is no different,” Orton said. “Hopefully, I can get through this season on two good wheels and move around and throw the ball well.”

Despite his ankle injuries, Orton had the best statistical season of his career last year. But the Broncos collapsed after a 6-0 start and instead of the long-term deal he coveted, Orton got Quinn and Tebow.

Embracing the opportunity to once again prove his worth, Orton has only solidified his grip on the job.

“Being healthy and technically sound, that’s a really good combination for a quarterback to have,” McDaniels said. “And he knows where to go, too. So, there’s a lot of good things. I think that’s why he’s got so much confidence right now. I think our players have a lot of confidence also, and I think it’s helping our entire offense.”

LRtagger
08-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I find it ironic that Broncos fans think this team has no chance at succeeding behind Orton, yet think the Raiders are now a contender since they picked up Jason Campbell.

I also don't understand how a player can not be tough because they have experienced injuries throughout their career. You can't "will" yourself into not getting injured. He came back onto the field last year on a bad ankle sprain when he probably shouldnt have because Simms sucked ass and the team needed him in the game. Guys like LT who dress, yet refuse to play when their team needs them are soft.

There are tough players all around the league that are banged up and injured for a majority of every season, but play anyways. And there are soft players all around the league who are lucky to avoid injury.

If a 300lb lineman falls on your ankle, you are going to more than likely get a sprain. It doesn't matter how tough you are. You cant say "Hey, I'm a tough player. I'm going to not sprain my ankle." "Hey guys, I'm tough. I'm going to throw my hand full speed at this metal facemask, but I wont break my finger because I'm a toughy"

dogfish
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I find it ironic that Broncos fans think this team has no chance at succeeding behind Orton, yet think the Raiders are now a contender since they picked up Jason Campbell.

I also don't understand how a player can not be tough because they have experienced injuries throughout their career. You can't "will" yourself into not getting injured. He came back onto the field last year on a bad ankle sprain when he probably shouldnt have because Simms sucked ass and the team needed him in the game. Guys like LT who dress, yet refuse to play when their team needs them are soft.

There are tough players all around the league that are banged up and injured for a majority of every season, but play anyways. And there are soft players all around the league who are lucky to avoid injury.

If a 300lb lineman falls on your ankle, you are going to more than likely get a sprain. It doesn't matter how tough you are. You cant say "Hey, I'm a tough player. I'm going to not sprain my ankle." "Hey guys, I'm tough. I'm going to throw my hand full speed at this metal facemask, but I wont break my finger because I'm a toughy"

clearly, some people have no clue that toughness and durability are completely separate quntities. . . .

:confused:

LRtagger
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
No question Orton is not a durable QB...but to question his toughness is absurd.

Magnificent Seven
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Orton would be in danger zone if he didn't run. I usually trust with mobile-quarterback like Elway. I will feel more comfortable with Tebow. He might be like Elway, Young, and Cunningham.

LRtagger
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
iPYF2p-cGx8