PDA

View Full Version : Cornish Meat Pasties

Dreadnought
08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
My wife tried a new recipe for a dish that has recipes going back to at least the 11th Century - the Cornish Meat Pastie. I gather they are popluar in Upper Peninsula Michigan, but anyways, Holy crap were they good - good enough that the three of us had to divvy up the spare one she had made. Really simple basic fare

Take a piece of pie shell, put in meat (beef, pork, lamb, mixed, whatever you want) mixed with potatos, onions, boullion, carrots, turnips if you want. Fold it over, crimp the edge, bake, eat. You can eat them cold, and my daughter was lobbying to have these for school lunches. Reading on them I guess you can even make them with meat on one side, pie filling on the other for dessert. If you look them up on line you'll find any number of actual recipes. Michiganders eat them with ketchup, but ketchup is gross, so I skipped that part

http://s2.grouprecipes.com/images/recipes/200/137971686.jpg

PS - apparently, you are supposed to toss away the crusts to feed the ghosts and spirits and therefore prevent mine collapses.

claymore
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
That looks good. Man Im hungry.

Dreadnought
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
That looks good. Man Im hungry.

You are always hungry Clay. See, if you had baked some pasties last night you could have one now at your desk. Its like a primitive hot-pocket, only with real food in it.

claymore
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
You are always hungry Clay. See, if you had baked some pasties last night you could have one now at your desk. Its like a primitive hot-pocket, only with real food in it.

I made this.... without the eggs.

*** edit embedded video disabled!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlDIQ6GkU0

YzlDIQ6GkU0

KCL
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I love trying new recipes...I have a lot of cookbooks..some old ones that were my mom's and I have several sites I get recipes off of.

Those do sound/look good Dread.

frauschieze
08-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I always think of pasties as Irish fare. Just a few hours away, there are businesses that make them from recipes passed down from generation to generation. Great stuff, good with gravy too. :drool:

underrated29
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
arent pasties the little white circle things girls put on their nips when getting into a pool or something?

I think this hot pocket like food should undergo a name change. However, I would like to put both in my mouth.

frauschieze
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
arent pasties the little white circle things girls put on their nips when getting into a pool or something?

I think this hot pocket like food should undergo a name change. However, I would like to put both in my mouth.

You are correct, but they are pronounced differently. The nip covers are paste-ies and the food is past-ies.

BigDaddyBronco
08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
You are correct, but they are pronounced differently. The nip covers are paste-ies and the food is past-ies.
I think paste-ies are a hate crime.

NightTrainLayne
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I always think of pasties as Irish fare. Just a few hours away, there are businesses that make them from recipes passed down from generation to generation. Great stuff, good with gravy too. :drool:

There's a place right down the road that does "fried pies", which are kind of a Southern take on these. They are quite simply amazing.

Some folks simply call them meat pies if they contain any kind of meat vs. more of a dessert pie filling.

I'm hungry now too.

KCL
08-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Fried pies sound good....esp peach.

Dreadnought
08-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Fried pies sound good....esp peach.

I have been Jonesing for peach pie for I dunno how long. It is a new obsession. I have never had a homemade one. A buddy of mine was supposed to give me a sack o' peaches yesterday for pie and they were rotten :mad:

As talented a cook as my wife is for some reason she is intimidated by peach pie. I have no idea why; thats why i thought with a sack of free peaches she'd give it a whirl

NightTrainLayne
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I have been Jonesing for peach pie for I dunno how long. It is a new obsession. I have never had a homemade one. A buddy of mine was supposed to give me a sack o' peaches yesterday for pie and they were rotten :mad:

As talented a cook as my wife is for some reason she is intimidated by peach pie. I have no idea why; thats why i thought with a sack of free peaches she'd give it a whirl

My Dad made a homemade peach cobbler a few weeks ago (he is a pie and cobbler expert). .. I think peaches make a better cobbler than pie, but it's hard to beat peaches just about any way you make 'em.

muse
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I could go on forever about Cornish Pasties :lol: they're kind of standard lunchy things here. They were originally invented for tin miners - as tin's pretty bloody poisonous, they'd eat the filling and discard the pastry which they touched with their mucky hands. As rightly said above, some variations included meat in one end and fruit in the other. Bear in mind that the Cornish are well known for being a little weird (descended from the Welsh) and inbred (regional stereotypes, lol). Anyway, a "proper" Cornish pasty should contain just meat, potato and maybe turnips; if you stick onions, carrot, swede etc. in them they're no longer Cornish, they're actually Devon pasties. Don't call a Cornishman a Devonian or vice-versa. It will not end well for you.

I know you didn't ask for a food history lesson, but, well...I know shit loads about the pasty :lol:

frauschieze
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I could go on forever about Cornish Pasties :lol: they're kind of standard lunchy things here. They were originally invented for tin miners - as tin's pretty bloody poisonous, they'd eat the filling and discard the pastry which they touched with their mucky hands. As rightly said above, some variations included meat in one end and fruit in the other. Bear in mind that the Cornish are well known for being a little weird (descended from the Welsh) and inbred (regional stereotypes, lol). Anyway, a "proper" Cornish pasty should contain just meat, potato and maybe turnips; if you stick onions, carrot, swede etc. in them they're no longer Cornish, they're actually Devon pasties. Don't call a Cornishman a Devonian or vice-versa. It will not end well for you.

I know you didn't ask for a food history lesson, but, well...I know shit loads about the pasty :lol:

Swede? As in people from Sweden? I didn't know you guys were cannibals over there. :shocked:

muse
08-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Swede? As in people from Sweden? I didn't know you guys were cannibals over there. :shocked:

...where did you think Swedish meatballs came from? :lol:

Sparkie
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I know somebody who's from Cornwall. he knows how to make those pasties - the proper ones. not the mass-produced tiddly pasties with puff pastry and a mediocre filling that shops sell over here wrapped in plastic for food on the go.. no, the homemade pasties my Cornish friend made were seriously about a foot long. :nod: and the pastry was thinner than the commercial kind - not as thin as filo but almost as crisp. Muse is spot-on about the meat and potato filling. :salute:

Jaws
01-16-2011, 04:14 AM
We have a Welsh version of this too. Only difference- it includes live meat!

turftoad
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

Wait a sec. I'm confused. :confused: I thought both were food. :D

frauschieze
01-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Wait a sec. I'm confused. :confused: I thought both were food. :D

Nope. What's under the former is food. ;)

turftoad
01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Nope. What's under the former is food. ;)

Well yeah, to hell with the paste-ies. :beer:

GEM
01-17-2011, 01:11 AM
...where did you think Swedish meatballs came from? :lol:

Swedish meatballs are the ******* best. Love em.

Swiss steak is pretty good too. :lol:

ShooterJM
11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
My grandma (Finnish) used to make those all the time when I was little. Haven't had one since my family moved from Michigan. Need to dig out the recipe now.