PDA

View Full Version : Broncos VS Bengals Preview/Review

Jagsbch
08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Now who is not looking forward to watching what the Broncos secondary can do againt the Bengals passing offense?

Especially after the hellacious display they put on last night, not to mention last season.

Carson Palmer threw two interceptions that game. His brother threw two last night.:D

It was not until my main man former Jaguars WR Matt Jones came out on the field late in the game, that the offense even managed to get passed the 50. Matt was also responsible for getting them past the Cowboys 30 in that very drive.

I am thinking Perish Cox will certainly have an awesome game, not to mention the rest of the secondary.

Last season in his debut as Head Coach, the then Rookie Josh McDaniels, to the surprise and delight of the Broncos faithful, he started out the season by beating the Bengals.

He was 9th new head coach to debut as a winner for the Broncos. As a matter of fact Broncos are 9-0 as far as debuting their new head coaches go.

Who does not remember Brandon Stokley grabbing the deflected pass and racing 87-yards into the end zone for a touchdown in the final seconds in week one of last season?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wj5HtJidMZ8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wj5HtJidMZ8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"I've never seen anything like that," Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said. "I've played football since I was 7 or 8, and I've not seen that."

No one had. According to NFL.com it was the longest game-winning play from scrimmage in the final minute of the fourth quarter in NFL history.

"I've seen some things in football, but never anything quite like this," Broncos running back Correll Buckhalter said.

"The funniest, weirdest, craziest ending I've ever experienced in football," Cedric Benson said.

The win clearly came as quiet a shock not only for Bengals fans but Broncos fans as well. Having emerged on the backlash of a legend Shanahan being dismissed, the fans where far from being quick to embrace McDaniels, the same was true for some players as well. :tsk:

But McDaniels would not be daunted, the rookie head coach managed to rack up 5 more wins sending the winning streak to six, but during week 7 he lost the best offensive tackle tandem in the league during the Ravens game.

Between the domino effect of the injuries piling up as a result, along with the transitions the offense and defense where making midseason in the defenses transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4, tot he offense transitioning into a power scheme from the zone blocking scheme, McDaniels would only go on to win 2 more games the rest of the season.

Now McDaniels hopes to recapture the magic of his 6-0 start against the very team he built it on.

But he has the daunting task of doing it without his Tackle Tandem, without his star LB, without his starting RB, and who knows if the two rookies stand out WR's will even play given the injuries that struck them Saturday Night?

The team despite the daunting loss of two of the three most vital position players on the team (DE/OLB) and OT), the players are resolved to step up to the occasion.

The defense will hold its own with a beefed up defensive line that has been appearantly impenetrable against the run. While the No. 3 passing defense from last season has added a couple of rookies that look to make a significant impact this season.

The offensiveline however with two rookie starters this season while missing their premier LT is going to be the biggest question mark heading intot he Bengals game.

Bengals defense was ranked 4th last seawson, and considering how they held Dallas to no offensive TD's last night, they will be a force for this offense to reckon with.

I can only presume that McDaniels will go deep early and often to keep the pressure off of the line as the safeties could be forced to stay honest.

I suppose this is why McDaniels was so pass happy Saturday night at INVESCO. Yet in a real game situation their would have been just as many sacks as there were completions...:shocked:

Ten Questions?

Will either of our Rookie WR's be able to play?

Can the offense keep the sacks to under 10?

Will Tebow be forced to run more as a result of the O-line woes?

Will Correll Buckhalter be ready?

Which one of our young RB's will stand out: Lance Ball Bruce Hall, or Toney Baker?

Can the team avoid the plague of injuries the rest of this week as well as the game?

Will Robert Ayers make us forget about Elvis leaving the building until the playoffs?

How many Ints will this secondary get?

Will Matt Jones stand out head and shoulders above Cinco and TO again?

Can Eddie Royal emerge as the second coming of Wes Welker in this league from the slot?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81291590_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81292b1c_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81292f1d_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d8129398a_gallery_600.jpg

nbenallo33
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
it has to be mor exciting then that game we watched lastnight.. :drool:

Jagsbch
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Just to be watching Football again, man that was surreal to me.

I can't say enough about Matt Jones. I think he is the most underrated receiver in the league. Seeing him finally playing again was a treat for me. The red flag, pick six, TO milking the camera at the end, I got to say I enjoyed the second half of that game.

Football is back, I mean we actually have a bonified preview of a game thread. I am stoked. As a matter of fact I am heading to the beach to play for the rest of the day I am so stoked.:salute:

SOCALORADO.
08-09-2010, 10:05 AM
The game plan should be fairly simple.
Get to Carson.
That leaky CIN O-line is the way to success.

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Matt Jones looked good but remeber he he was playing against scrubs and base defenses.

topscribe
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
it has to be mor exciting then that game we watched lastnight.. :drool:

I turned off the TV about midway through the 3rd quarter . . . :bored: . :sleeping:

-----

CoachChaz
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Ochocinco, TO, Bryant, Shipley, Gresham.

Tell Mr. Jones to enjoy the pre-season while he can

T.K.O.
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
i finally got my T.V.
set up where i get all the broncos games....then i remembered i have to go out of town next weekend:mad:
but it's my daughters 21st Bday so it's more important to see her than a preseason game....lucky for me it's not the start of reg season.....then i would have a very difficult decision to make:laugh:

broncophan
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
a buddy of mine has tickets and asked me to go......but I have to get up the next morning at 5:00 for work......Cincy is a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from here.....so I had to pass........I hated to say no.......but I was there last year to see the Stokely catch......if it was a regular season game, I would have prob. taken a vacation day and went....

GO BRONCOS.....

Northman
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Cant wait for Sunday!

Jagsbch
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
BRONCOS OPEN PRESEASON ON THE ROAD FOR 13th CONSECUTIVE YEAR (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kicking-Off-in-Cincinnati/8345a79e-d02b-4434-bd8c-4049ea4b44b3)

Sunday’s game in Cincinnati marks the 13th consecutive season that Denver will open its preseason away from home. That streak is the longest in club history with the previous longest occurring from 1992-96 when the Broncos played five preseason openers in a row away from home.

During the last 12 years to begin the preseason, Denver has played 10 road games in addition to competing in the 1999 American Bowl in Sydney, Australia, and the 2004 Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio.

Denver’s last home preseason opener was in 1997 when it defeated Buffalo 31-10 at Mile High Stadium. The Broncos have played 18 of 20 preseason openers away from home since 1990.

BRONCOS AT BENGALS - Points of Interest

The Broncos travel to Cincinnati and return to the site where they opened the 2009 regular season with a dramatic 12-7 win, propelled by the longest game-winning touchdown (87 yds.) from scrimmage in the fourth quarter of a game in NFL history...

QB Kyle Orton and WR Brandon Stokley hooked up on the play which gave Josh McDaniels a win in his NFL regular-season head coaching debut. McDaniels guided Denver to a 6-0 record to begin the 2009 season, a start that tied for the third best by a rookie NFL head coach since 1930...

As they begin their sixth decade of professional football in 2010, the Broncos are one of just four teams to record three 90 win decades since 1960 and the only organization to do so in each of the last three decades...

During the Pat Bowlen era (1984-Pres.), the Broncos have won more regular- season games (251) and overall games (266) than any AFC team (second most in NFL)... Denver had five players selected to the 2010 Pro Bowl with that total tying for its most since 2001 (T-7th overall in club annals)...

Denver’s offseason acquisitions include free-agent defensive linemen Justin Bannan, Jarvis Green and Jamal Williams as well as QB Brady Quinn (acquired from Cleveland via trade)...

Returning starter QB Kyle Orton tied John Elway (1997) for the most games with a 90 passer rating (10) in a season in franchise history in 2009, with that total tying for fifth in the league... Orton’s 3,802 passing yards tied for sixth in club annals...

WR Jabar Gaffney recorded the second-most receiving yards (213) in a single game in franchise history (most by a WR) in the season finale vs. Kansas City and finished the year with a career-high 732 receiving yards...

RB Knowshon Moreno became the 14th player in the NFL since 1970 to lead league rookies in rushing yards (947), yards from scrimmage (1,160) and total touchdowns (9)... Moreno, who led league rookies with six 80-yard rushing games, is the fifth Bronco to lead NFL rookies in rushing...

RB Correll Buckhalter ranked sixth in the NFL in yards per rush (5.4) and set career highs in rushing yards (642) and receptions (31)...

OL Ryan Clady, named to the Pro Bowl (starter) for the first time, became the 11th tackle in league annals to earn a Pro Bowl selection by his second professional season... Clady was named to the inaugural USA Football/NFLPA “All-Fundamentals” Team as the youngest member (23) to receive the honor...

LB Elvis Dumervil earned his first career Pro Bowl selection (starter), becoming the first player in Broncos history to lead the league in sacks with a franchise-record 17... Eleven of Dumervil’s 17 sacks came on third down, tying for the most in a single season in the NFL since at least 1991...

LB D.J. Williams, a Pro Bowl alternate, led Denver with 122 tackles (100 solo) that ranked 11th in the NFL... Since 2007, Williams is sixth in the league in tackles per game (8.3)...

Six Broncos posted at least 50 defensive tackles... CB Champ Bailey was named to his ninth Pro Bowl to tie Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Haynes for the most Pro Bowls at cornerback in NFL history... Bailey has totaled the most interceptions (46) in the NFL among cornerbacks since entering the league in 1999 and has the seventhmost interceptions (28) by a Bronco in team annals...

S Brian Dawkins was named a Pro Bowl starter in his first season with Denver and tied former Broncos S Steve Atwater for the third-most Pro Bowl selections (8) by a safety in NFL history...

Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer has coached units in the NFL that have totaled 15 blocked kicks and nine return touchdowns in eight seasons as a special teams coach... WR

Eddie Royal is the ninth player in team history to post at least 1,000 combined yards in each of his first two pro seasons (team-high 1,302 yards in 2009)... Royal is one of two players in the NFL (Chargers RB Darren Sproles) to total at least 1,400 yards from scrimmage (1,435) and 1,400 kick return yards (1,696) since 2008...

K Matt Prater ended the 2009 season with a field goal in nine consecutive games to set a career high and made 19 of his final 20 attempts... Prater tied for third in the league for the season and in Broncos annals with 30 field goals while tying for second in the NFL in touchbacks on kickoffs (28)...

S Darcel McBath led the club with 11 special-teams tackles in 2009 as one of just four rookies to lead their team in that category.

JaxBroncoGirl
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Matt Jones looked good but remeber he he was playing against scrubs and base defenses.

Well, I wish Matt Jones does well. He did not have a chance in Jacksonville because of the lack of coaching and teamwork ethics, (Jaguars have a problem with teamwork) and because he was a rookie needing to grow up, so I hope he can do great things with this team, Not against the Broncos of course, I just think he deserves a chance, he and Sel Rio in Jacksonville did not hit it off so well, I think it was Matt's (country Arkansas) laid back approach that did not sit well with Sel Rio (the king of egos), and Sel Rios lack of patience. Good for Matt, I know when he was with out a team he was training hard with Fred Taylor down South Florida. He sure is a long fellow (tall).

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, I wish Matt Jones does well. He did not have a chance in Jacksonville because of the lack of coaching and teamwork ethics, (Jaguars have a problem with teamwork) and because he was a rookie needing to grow up, so I hope he can do great things with this team, Not against the Broncos of course, I just think he deserves a chance, he and Sel Rio in Jacksonville did not hit it off so well, I think it was Matt's (country Arkansas) laid back approach that did not sit well with Sel Rio (the king of egos), and Sel Rios lack of patience. Good for Matt, I know when he was with out a team he was training hard with Fred Taylor down South Florida. He sure is a long fellow (tall).

you sure being busted for snorting coke in the back of of his buddy's car had nothing to do with his falling out in Jax? you seemed to have glossed over that one..
BTW - what's with the "Sel" Rio thingy? is it the Jags fan version of "daft" or "mikey" -- sorry forum insde joke with one of our fine brethren.

JaxBroncoGirl
08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
you sure being busted for snorting coke in the back of of his buddy's car had nothing to do with his falling out in Jax? you seemed to have glossed over that one..
BTW - what's with the "Sel" Rio thingy? is it the Jags fan version of "daft" or "mikey" -- sorry forum insde joke with one of our fine brethren.

Trust me, that is why I wrote in my comment he was young. (Coke) thing. I did not gloss over that, Sel Rio really did not like his laid back approach before the Coke Thing. Sel Rio is Del Rio. You have not seen the games where Sel Rio or the Hollywood Shades dude is on the sidelines looking everywhere but the field when the Jaguars play badly. It is a known fact in Jacksonville, he is not a fan favorite if you are a fan that is great, I never have been, I feel that Sel Rio is a sell out. Just 2 weeks after claiming he loves Jacksonville and cannot wait to be the head coach, he was interviewing with LSU, his home town. Sel Rio and company has cut every decent player we have had, we have been rebuilding for what 4 years now. He is not a fan favorite, he may be a players coach but he is not into the community. I think Sel Rio has been beaten down by the FO. We tend to draft in division 2 instead of big studs (not a bad thing), we just do not have the national presence. Anyway, I hope that I have not offended you, that was not my intention, I just hope the Matt has grown up and really wants to play football instead of having grams of drugs.

ps. you people can be brutal at times, go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!