PDA

View Full Version : Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15708312

Early in Saturday evening's public practice at Invesco Field, Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton dropped back to pass on third-and-4 from his 28.

Second-year linebacker Robert Ayers steamed around left tackle D'Anthony Batiste, reached Orton and pulled up. If he'd had a lawn chair, he would have had time to set it up, have a seat and possibly pour himself a beverage.

Ignoring this unexpected spectator, Orton found Jabar Gaffney on a crossing pattern in front of safety Renaldo Hill for a first down. The crowd of more than 20,000 cheered.

A few moments before, on a goal-line series from the 1 1/2-yard line, the Broncos tried each of their available backs, running behind tight ends lined up as fullbacks. On five running plays to Lance Ball (two), Bruce Hall (two) and Toney Baker (one), none of them sniffed the goal line. Each time I looked at the fallen back to figure out which one it was, Ayers seemed to be standing over him.

When I mentioned to coach Josh McDaniels afterward that it looked as if the former first-round draft pick from Tennessee would have had a couple of sacks if they were permitted, he nodded.

"And he dominated the entire goal-line period," McDan- iels said. "He's a totally different player. We're proud of him, because we told him at the beginning of the offseason it's time for him to take a step from being a rookie to being the type of player we thought he could be.

"He had a great offseason program, and he started training camp well. We keep telling him, 'You started it well, now we've got to finish it. We've got to go into the season playing the same way.' But he's doing the physical things that we thought he could do and really dominating the edge."

Ayers already had been penciled in as the likely starter at outside linebacker opposite Elvis Dumervil, but when last year's NFL sack leader went down with a potentially season-ending injury to a pectoral muscle, Ayers' development became a critical component of the Broncos' defense.

"No matter what I do, I'm not going to be able to replace Elvis," Ayers said when practice was over. "He's a great player, a great leader. And no one can come and replace a great player and a great leader.

"All I'm going to try to do is help this team win and try to make him proud.

"I talked to him and I told him, 'I'm going to do everything I can to make you proud, and the rest of the team is going to do the same thing.' "

On a team in search of playmakers on both sides of the ball, the most encouraging aspect of Saturday night's stadium practice was the play of Ayers on defense and rookie Demaryius Thomas on offense, even if Thomas had to limp off after coming down awkwardly on his left foot following one of two touchdown catches.

But while the quest for offensive playmakers has been going on at least since Brandon Marshall was traded, the attempt to compensate for the loss of Dumervil has just begun.

A big season from Ayers, who was mostly a disappointment as a rookie, would go a long way toward helping fill the hole Dumervil's injury leaves.

"This time a year ago, I wasn't even practicing," Ayers said. "I was still trying to work out my contract. So it's good to be here and start from the beginning with everybody else and build from the first day on. It's a big difference. I'm not a rookie anymore. I feel more comfortable being a pro."

As for holding down the action-edge position Dumervil left open, Ayers considers it his.

"My mind-set after the season, when OTAs (organized team activities) started, I set a goal that I was going to be the starter and I never looked back," he said.

"I've always felt like I was the starter ever since the end of last season. That's not a goal of mine anymore. I know I'm the starter. Even when Elvis was here, I knew I was a starter and I just tried to build and keep getting better. I definitely want to establish myself as a great player. I want to be amongst the elite."

Practice, of course, is only practice. As McDaniels pointed out, Ayers needs to follow through on his strong start. So think of Saturday's showcase as a preview of coming attractions. Before the season is over, the Broncos hope to see him standing over a lot of offensive players.

nevcraw
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
we need him to be all Mayock said he would be, only 1 year early..

Lonestar
08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
sounds good to me .

I saw him several times last year right there in the QB area just as Doom was getting the sack. had doom not been a fraction of a second faster Ayers would have gotten it.

It sounds like we have another keeper in fact because he can also really play OLB in more than ONE dimension maybe even better than Doom overall.

dogfish
08-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro. . . in practice.

rcsodak
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro. . . in practice.

negative nanny

:D

nevcraw
08-08-2010, 11:26 PM
i have no keen eye for this but he looked alright to me last year too.. an impoved front 3 will make a huge dfference..

TimTebow15MVP
08-09-2010, 02:42 AM
rob ayers leads the league in sacks this year. next year we get the two league leaders in sacks the last two years on the field at the same time. woot

Lonestar
08-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Will someone tell me what having the sack leader last year did for us.

Maybe I missed something, but in the last few games they were running our butts into the ground.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TimTebow15MVP
08-09-2010, 04:32 AM
dooms is one dementional, ayers is not. he actually will pancake an offensive linemen, dooms is just a sack master. when we finally get both of them on the field it will be scary, the DL is whats gonna stuff the run this year. thats where it all starts.

LordTrychon
08-09-2010, 08:14 AM

Maybe I missed something, but in the last few games they were running our butts into the ground.

It gave us a better shot than not having the sack leader.

:confused:

(I also would have accepted - we had more sacks than if we didn't have the sack leader, it caused more pressure on the opposing QB, it gave our defense an advantage that they wouldn't have without him, etc.)

Skinny
08-09-2010, 09:46 AM
dooms is one dementional, ayers is not. he actually will pancake an offensive linemen, dooms is just a sack master. when we finally get both of them on the field it will be scary, the DL is whats gonna stuff the run this year. thats where it all starts.Disagree. Ayers was'nt a pass rusher in college and he's done nothing to date to be considered one now. He's as one dimensional as Doom is until he proves otherwise.

Skinny
08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Gave us a legitimate pass rush.

Yw.

Lonestar
08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Gave us a legitimate pass rush.

Yw.

That won how many games?

IMHO all it did was cost us a ton of money to resign him.

BroncoWave
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
JR's always gotta have a whipping boy. First Shanny, then Jay, then Marshall. Now that they are all gone it's Dumervil. You never cease to amuse me JR.

CoachChaz
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Watch the games from last year again. It's a legit statement to say Ayers seemed to be one step slow on a ton of plays. If he improves that one step this year with a stronger DL, I think he'll be just fine. If he gets 8-10 sacks and can actually tackle a RB...it's a bonus.

underrated29
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
That won how many games?

Really JR?

I think you have gone off the deep end.

Nomad
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
At the rate the BRONCOS are going, I'll be happy to see Ayers not on the injury report! He'll have plenty of time to prove himself this year!!

G_Money
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Wasn't Moss doing this a couple of years ago?

Ayers was a one-year wonder in college with a coachability problem and a questionable work ethic. I want to see a lot more from him than an early, no-pads practice before I'd call him legit.

That said, we're gonna NEED him to be legit. Fingers crossed. And yeah, staying healthy is the first order of business this year.

~G

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
How many games did having the sack leader win us? I don't know how many did it lose us?

broncobryce
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
From what I understand, the pads were on.

Skinny
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
That won how many games?

Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums8 games. Elvis played a vital role in all our wins.

You are going to have pay someone big money to play that role if you want it played at a high level. Investing it in a player like Elvis who is a proven pass rusher which is what that role requires, was a wise choice (overpaid in opinion or not). The injury is unfortunate but it happens, that's football.

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
8 games. Elvis played a vital role in all our wins.

You are going to have pay someone big money to play that role if you want it played at a high level. Investing it in a player like Elvis who is a proven pass rusher which is what that role requires, was a wise choice (overpaid in opinion or not). The injury is unfortunate but it happens, that's football.

Nail meet hammer.

LordTrychon
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
That won how many games?

How many games did having Orton win us? DJ? Champ? Dawkins? Clady? McDaniels?

I guess there's no point in being a Broncos fan at all... because that only ever got me 8 wins last season.

NorCalBronco7
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I cant think of another player on D who needs to step up more than Ayers. I hope these reports translate onto the field, where it counts. Great to hear hes a force both against the run/pass.

As Ayers goes this season, our pass rush goes.

Mike
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I cant think of another player on D who needs to step up more than Ayers. I hope these reports translate onto the field, where it counts. Great to hear hes a force both against the run/pass.

As Ayers goes this season, our pass rush goes.

As the dline goes, so our LBs go. If our dline can occupy the oline, I think our LBs will be serviceable without Doom.

Lonestar
08-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Watch the games from last year again. It's a legit statement to say Ayers seemed to be one step slow on a ton of plays. If he improves that one step this year with a stronger DL, I think he'll be just fine. If he gets 8-10 sacks and can actually tackle a RB...it's a bonus.

Glad to see someone else that noticed and can be objective about this.

I really belive that he would have gotten the QB 4-5 time had doom not been there a split second before.

BroncoWave
08-09-2010, 02:21 PM

I really belive that he would have gotten the QB 4-5 time had doom not been there a split second before.

Well 4 or 5 is quite short of the 17 times Dumervil got there. So you are finally admitting that losing Dumervil will hurt our defense. I knew you'd come around! :D

Northman
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
JR's always gotta have a whipping boy. First Shanny, then Jay, then Marshall. Now that they are all gone it's Dumervil. You never cease to amuse me JR.

It will be interesting to see who will be left after all of Shanny's guys are gone although Doom will be with us quite a while so i guess we will have at least 3 more years of JR's constant whining.

LordTrychon
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM

I don't think anyone's made the assertion that Ayers couldn't have maybe cleaned up on a few of Dumervil's sacks last year.

I do think people have an issue with the idea that having productive players doesn't help our team be productive.

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think anyone's made the assertion that Ayers couldn't have maybe cleaned up on a few of Dumervil's sacks last year.

I do think people have an issue with the idea that having productive players doesn't help our team be productive.

Pretty much.

Lonestar
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
As the dline goes, so our LBs go. If our dline can occupy the oline, I think our LBs will be serviceable without Doom.

Not sure why no one gets this concept but a few of us.

If the NT,DEs can generate some push unlike last year the OLB can create hurries which lead to picks and turnovers as well as sacks.

If the QB can't step up into the pocket (like Orton last year) because it is collapsing on him the job of the blitzers is easier.

With doom on the field everyone knows where he is and thus where the pressure is coming from.

Without doom it can come from anywhere. Anny of the back 8 can come and still leave 7 in coverage.

This confusion is what makes the blitz effective. Confuses the protection of the Oline.

When it ONLY comes from their rightside it is easier to pick up.

Basic D for a 3-4. Never let them know who is coming when.

Since doom rarely if ever dropped back in coverage well a lot easier to plan for.

BroncoWave
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Not sure why no one gets this concept but a few of us.

If the NT,DEs can generate some push unlike last year the OLB can create hurries which lead to picks and turnovers as well as sacks.

If the QB can't step up into the pocket (like Orton last year) because it is collapsing on him the job of the blitzers is easier.

With doom on the field everyone knows where he is and thus where the pressure is coming from.

Without doom it can come from anywhere. Anny of the back 8 can come and still leave 7 in coverage.

This confusion is what makes the blitz effective. Confuses the protection of the Oline.

When it ONLY comes from their rightside it is easier to pick up.

Basic D for a 3-4. Never let them know who is coming when.

Since doom rarely if ever dropped back in coverage well a lot easier to plan for.

Yeah, so easy to plan for he LED THE NFL in sacks! :lol:

You have gone off the deep end JR.

NightTrainLayne
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
It will be interesting to see who will be left after all of Shanny's guys are gone although Doom will be with us quite a while so i guess we will have at least 3 more years of JR's constant whining.

I think you'd have to say that Dumervil is now one of McD's/Xanders' guys since McD/Xanders was here when he got the big contract.

LordTrychon
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM

I kept thinking to myself... God... I wish they would stop neutralizing his pass rush... He's not leading the league by enough yet...

:laugh:

You know WHY they mix up where the blitz comes from? WHY it's important for the Dline to make it easier on the LBs?

SO they can get to the QB! :laugh: It's that thing that Dumervil keeps getting marginalized for leading the league in last year.

Nobody is saying that we can't/won't have people step up and spread around his production... we're saying that a player who leads the league in sacks will be missed.

Northman
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I think you'd have to say that Dumervil is now one of McD's/Xanders' guys since McD/Xanders was here when he got the big contract.

Depends who you talk too. :lol:

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Is this only NFL message board where I guy who leads his team and League in sacks is criticized? :confused:

Not only that, but is also the only place where a team leader gets criticized for other players not stepping up to produce more sacks?

LordTrychon
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Is this only NFL message board where I guy who leads his team and League in sacks is criticized? :confused:

Not only that, but is also the only place where a team leader gets criticized for other players not stepping up to produce more sacks?

You forgot to mention after being injured.*

broncobryce
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I thought last year Nolan gameplanned to get Doom one on one because he knew Doom would win most of the time. I think Ayers can win a lot of one on ones this year. Someone will have to.

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM

If Shanahan was still here, Denver would still be running the 4-3, Doom would be playing DE and could possibly have had 15-20 sacks for us last season, and Shanahan would have let him walk to free agency, or cut him, like he's done with every other above average - great pass rusher Denver's had since he's been here.

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
If Shanahan was still here, Denver would still be running the 4-3, Doom would be playing DE and could possibly have had 15-20 sacks for us last season, and Shanahan would have let him walk to free agency, or cut him, like he's done with every other above average - great pass rusher Denver's had since he's been here.

shanny made a mistake by letting go of pryce too early..
the other "every other" 2 players had over inflated sense of self worth and ended being way overpayed and under delivering with there next teams. You think the steelers would have paid them based on one year of average production?
Shanny did the right thing by letting these guys walk but did fail miserably in finding production replacements.

Lonestar
08-09-2010, 06:10 PM

No just ahead of the pack like I was with mike.

Sorry Y'all do not get it. But soon you will.

While he is a great player he is not the end all that Y'all seem to think he is.

Eventually the DCs will take him out of the loop UNLESS we are able to develop the rest of the D.

But you an afew others relish in having the almost worst D in the NFL as long as you have doom leading the league.

Not sure why that is so important to you.

I'd rather have the best or top 5 D overall and have the sacks spread all over the front 7 and a few from the rest of the DBs.
That my friend is called balance and un predictablility and is a lot harded to plan against.

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM

By "objective" you mean looking at the world through a pinhole?

you can have a monster player on D and still have balanced team.
not sure how one rules out the other.. but i guess I'm not very objective in my open thinking.. I should prefer to not have some who sacks the QB consitantly cuz that would make the team better.. and that's a bad thing.?.?...

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
shanny made a mistake by letting go of pryce too early..
the other "every other" 2 players had over inflated sense of self worth and ended being way overpayed and under delivering with there next teams. You think the steelers would have paid them based on one year of average production?
Shanny did the right thing by letting these guys walk but did fail miserably in finding production replacements.

Shanahan lost both Berry, and Hayward, because he was too stupid to see their potential early on, in which both of them showed, and sign them to contract extensions like he should have. Instead, he played hardball with them, lost them to free agency, and ultimately lost his job because he couldn't find pass rushers to help his defense out and his team. Very very poor GM'ing by Shanahan and the front office when talking about both of those players.

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Shanahan lost both Berry, and Hayward, because he was too stupid to see their potential early on, in which both of them showed, and sign them to contract extensions like he should have. .

he should have signed them to monster contracts for one year's worth of decent work? the only think stupid is this argument.

later..

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
he should have signed them to monster contracts for one year's worth of decent work? the only think stupid is this argument.

later..

LMAO Young players who show potential and have maybe 1 mediocre to good season get signed to monster contracts? You do know the difference between a contract extension, and a contract re-signing don't you?

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
LMAO Young players who show potential and have maybe 1 mediocre to good season get signed to monster contracts? You do know the difference between a contract extension, and a contract re-signing don't you?

yes (a lot of players young and old are overpayed in the NFL) and yes i know the difference... what is your point? ur argument is as silly as your avatar of a SBTB dude..

Hayward was a FA. he would have been re-signed to a new contract but shanny decided not overpay for an average player.. look at his career in jacksonville if you need a reminder..

Berry was a FA. he would have been re-signed to a new contract but shanny decided not overpay for journeyman who had one good season.. he had one more good season before going to the middle of the pack..

Shanny did the right thing ---

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2010, 09:47 PM
yes (a lot of players young and old are overpayed in the NFL) and yes i know the difference... what is your point? ur argument is as silly as your avatar of a SBTB dude..

Hayward was a FA. he would have been re-signed to a new contract but shanny decided not overpay for an average player.. look at his career in jacksonville if you need a reminder..

Berry was a FA. he would have been re-signed to a new contract but shanny decided not overpay for journeyman who had one good season.. he had one more good season before going to the middle of the pack..

Shanny did the right thing ---

Terrible argument. Shanny is almost as stupid as your insinuation of not extending the contracts of young players, to gain another year or two to see how that player plays, and then decide if they are worth the contract.

Berry and Hayward both reached free agent status because their contract ran out. Congratulations on understanding that concept. Try understanding that if Shanahan extended them, we would have had them for another year or two to see if they were worth the "monster contract" they were seeking. Denver could have traded them, or even re-signed Berry, who's been arguably worth his contract. This was merely a small and minute example of the terrible boneheaded GM moves Shanahan made throughout his tenure in Denver, which ultimately got him fired with 1 playoff win in his final decade coaching with Denver.

Shanahan could have even signed them long term to a modest contract with bonuses if he extended them, but you're amazing logic will probably argue that a player cannot negotiate a new contract while they are still under their current one.

LMAO

nevcraw
08-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Terrible argument. Shanny is almost as stupid as your insinuation of not extending the contracts of young players, to gain another year or two to see how that player plays, and then decide if they are worth the contract.

Berry and Hayward both reached free agent status because their contract ran out. Congratulations on understanding that concept. Try understanding that if Shanahan extended them, we would have had them for another year or two to see if they were worth the "monster contract" they were seeking. Denver could have traded them, or even re-signed Berry, who's been arguably worth his contract. This was merely a small and minute example of the terrible boneheaded GM moves Shanahan made throughout his tenure in Denver, which ultimately got him fired with 1 playoff win in his final decade coaching with Denver.

Shanahan could have even signed them long term to a modest contract with bonuses if he extended them, but you're amazing logic will probably argue that a player cannot negotiate a new contract while they are still under their current one.

LMAO

I commented on what did happen and you are now bringing in hypotheticals to try to bolster ur weak attempt at slander of a HOF coach. You have no idea if they wanted extensions or to test the market. clearly they wanted to get paid..
everyone who was paying attention couldnt believe the fat contract Berry got from AZ. both cashed on 1 good season and for once Denver did not overpay for ok talent..
and now I am done here screech..

OrangeHoof
08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro

So THAT'S why the Broncos spent all that money to sign him!! Thank God he's a "legitimate pro". For first round money, I would have expected them to draft a legitimate pro but now that the Denver Post has figured this out, I'm so encouraged.

Maybe their next story will report that the governor is a "legitimate politician". Sheesh.