PDA

View Full Version : Orton healthy for first time in 2 years

Spiritguy
08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
For those of you that are pro and con Kyle Orton I found these few paragraphs written by Doc over at MHR very revealing. Here's to Kyle being healthy and having a great year!

Perhaps the real story of camp hasn't gotten hardly a word of press, which makes me happy to be able to get into it. Orton is in the best shape in years - I don't know if you caught it, but Kyle Orton finally admitted that his right ankle, the one that was injured in Chicago, mid-season, had never really healed. He was playing on it anyway, but it was bothering him the whole time, often badly. This led, in part, to his left ankle being hurt (This pattern is as common as heck, clinically. I wrote an article on why - find it here (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/21/729963/broncos-injuries-and-recov)).

This is the first time in those two years that he's felt good, the injuries are healed and Tuten worked him like a rented mule in the offseason, so he should be in great shape. He's also had a chance to throw with his receivers in the offseason.

Everyone at the practices comments on him: He's got the self-confidence, his performance is head and shoulders above Tebow or Quinn, his passing is very accurate and, as you might expect from the circumstances, he's a lot more mobile. There goes another complaint about the guy - dang him. Just when people were getting up a good head of steam to rag about him......lol. So, three injuries in two years, missed a total of three games. That's not a bad record - you'd like to see him put together 16 games, and that should be his goal this year. Starting out without damage and injury already tends to help - I hope that it helps him this year. It wouldn't surprise me if his accuracy improves somewhat this year - having two legs that actually work can really change the way that you throw the football.

I'll also admit something - I have to wonder a bit about the folks who have made declarative after declarative statements about Orton and what he can and can't do, what could and could not improve from him, and yet now, in realizing that he was playing injured both years and was never close to his own physical best (which kind of helps, really, when you're trying to throw a football under pressure), and I have to wonder if any of them ever sit back for a moment and consider the difference between surety and accuracy.

Probably not, but I do wonder. I also often appreciate how easily writing reminds you of your own fallibility. There's an old proverb that when the Divine wants to make one humble, He gives them the urge to write. It's been true for me, certainly.

whole article here (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/7/1611478/broncos-thoughts-and-musings-first)

UnderArmour
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Great! Now all we need is for Orton to line up at left tackle, OLB, RB, and WR and I think we're set.

Spiritguy
08-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Highly recommend reading the "clinical" article he wrote (link first paragraph). I learned a lot about how the body heals from injury. Also gained a new respect for the guys on the team and what they have to go through to be out there week in, week out.

Superchop 7
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, there is no doubt that Orton looks better.

G_Money
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Whether an injury-free Orton can be significantly better than partially-damaged Orton is a good question.

So is whether Orton can stay injury free to make the point even worth discussing. The article says "3 injuries in 2 years, only missed 3 games..." except that it then intimates the only reason he was mediocre those 2 years was because he was injured all the time.

Completely-Healthy Orton is better than Injured Orton. There's no question of that. But if Injured Orton takes years to heal from those injuries and is dragged down the entire time he is injured, that's a problem - especially if he's gonna play the whole time. And that has been the case thus far.

I think once again this year Orton will start off fine. And then he'll get injured, and he'll keep playing, and he'll go back in the tank as a mediocre guy. It's like watching Chris Chandler, The Early Years.

But until he gets hit, I look forward to a good start to Orton's season.

~G

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Whether an injury-free Orton can be significantly better than partially-damaged Orton is a good question.

So is whether Orton can stay injury free to make the point even worth discussing. The article says "3 injuries in 2 years, only missed 3 games..." except that it then intimates the only reason he was mediocre those 2 years was because he was injured all the time.

Completely-Healthy Orton is better than Injured Orton. There's no question of that. But if Injured Orton takes years to heal from those injuries and is dragged down the entire time he is injured, that's a problem - especially if he's gonna play the whole time. And that has been the case thus far.

I think once again this year Orton will start off fine. And then he'll get injured, and he'll keep playing, and he'll go back in the tank as a mediocre guy. It's like watching Chris Chandler, The Early Years.

But until he gets hit, I look forward to a good start to Orton's season.

~G

According to one observer of this year's training camp Orton is quicker in his decision making but his difficulties with the deep ball are still there.

T.K.O.
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
great ~! just what we needed,jinx our qb:laugh:
with all the injuries happening we don't want to talk about who has'nt been hurt for a while....j/k

Northman
08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
According to one observer of this year's training camp Orton is quicker in his decision making but his difficulties with the deep ball are still there.

Did they say exactly what it was about his deep ball that he is having difficulty with? Accuracy? or what?

TXBRONC
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Did they say exactly what it was about his deep ball that he is having difficulty with? Accuracy? or what?

The person I asked was GEM and I asked her if it was accuracy or strength that was the problem. She said from her observations it was combination of the two.

Dirk
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Pro Bowl for Orton in 2010!