PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Woodyard has single goal: Just get better

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Broncos' Woodyard has single goal: Just get better
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/07/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

When he gave it some thought, Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard decided 2010 was a new year so he had to be a different player.

"You have to be smart about how you approach things," Woodyard said. "That's something I didn't realize my rookie year a couple years ago. And after you talk to the coaches, some of the older guys, you realize you can't just come back every year the same person you were the year before. You have to try to be better. So, that's what I'm trying to do — be better than I was."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels routinely preaches the more-you-can-do mantra, and Woodyard is one of the team's players who lives it. He lines up at inside linebacker, sometimes plays safety, rushes, drops into coverage,
plays in most of the Broncos' specialty packages on defense and has a full plate of special-teams work.

Because of injuries in the Broncos' defense, there have been times this week when Woodyard has taken reps with the first-team defense, the second-team defense and then worked in a full allotment of special teams all in the same practice.

"Wherever the team could use it, hopefully that's where I'll be," said Woodyard, who made the Broncos' roster as an undrafted rookie in 2008 because of his speed and ability to do a variety of jobs. "I'm not going to be the guy that complains. I'm a competitor, and I always want to do what I can and want to be out there as much as I can."

"He deserves what he's getting right now," McDaniels said. "A great example for a lot of the younger players: not highly touted in terms of where he was drafted, but he's worked his way into a great role for our football team."

Woodyard had been working at D.J. Williams' inside linebacker spot in the Broncos' starting defense. Williams, who has had knee and shoulder surgery during his career, has practiced little this training camp.

With his experience in the Broncos' 4-3 look when Mike Shanahan was coach, Woodyard has also been a regular when the Broncos have switched to that look from their usual 3-4.

And though he is listed by the team at the same 222 pounds as last season, McDaniels has said Woodyard is "a little bigger than he's been."

"(McDaniels) expressed to me in the offseason that everybody has to prove their worth," Woodyard said. "And I'm just trying to show something wherever I'm at, learn there and figure out some way to help the team win games there."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Ready for duty, Coach

Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard was signed as an undrafted rookie following the 2008 draft. His versatility has kept him with the team.

Special-teams Forced Year Tackles tackles fumbles
2008 55 11 0
2009 44 9 1

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15700806

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
might be time to cut DJ loose as he seems to be hurt a lot.

Davii
08-07-2010, 04:46 PM
might be time to cut DJ loose as he seems to be hurt a lot.

I don't think i'd go that far.