PDA

View Full Version : Former Bronco Little finally gets his shot at Fame

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15700825

CANTON, Ohio — Even while holding out hope that none other than Vice President Joe Biden will formally unveil his bronze bust tonight, Floyd Little has been humbled.

The Broncos' first star and still the franchise's second-leading career rusher to Terrell Davis, Little will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame tonight, a staggering 35 years after taking his final carry.

Now that Little is following John Elway and Gary Zimmerman (who played seven of his 12 NFL seasons with the Minnesota Vikings) into football immortality as members of the Broncos, who should be next?

Little was asked to name his top three.

"That's pretty easy," Little said. "I played with Randy Gradishar. I think he certainly deserves to be here. Rich Jackson is another guy."

Most people who think of Jackson and the Broncos think of Tom Jackson, an outspoken personality as a player (for his day) and now an entertaining ESPN commentator. But to give an idea of how dominant Rich Jackson was as a defensive end from 1967-72, he had 43 sacks in his 67 games with the Broncos.

Elvis Dumervil has 43 sacks in 61 games with the Broncos and just got a $58.3 million contract.

"Rich was a real trend-setter," Little said. "He was a total athlete. He played quarterback, linebacker, defensive end. He trained Lyle Alzado how to become a great defender."

OK, so Gradishar, who twice has been a top 15 finalist for the Hall of Fame and is now in the senior candidate pool, and Rich Jackson are two. And the third?

"I also think that Shannon Sharpe is deserving, as well as Terrell Davis," Little said.

So that's four.

"I think Karl Mecklenburg is another guy that deserves to be here," Little said.

That's five. Little met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen here Thursday. Bowlen is a member of the Hall of Fame board. The primary point of their discussion, which Little alluded to in his answer here, is that far more

Hall-deserving Broncos players reside outside the Canton walls than inside.

"Pat's really hopeful that we will get a lot more Broncos in," Little said. "I think Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater are two of the greatest players. My best friend, Billy Thompson, I think he's been forgotten."

So that's eight former Broncos Little says should be in the Hall of Fame. Louis Wright?

"Without a doubt," Little said. "When you look at Ken Houston, and (Roger) Wehrli and (Larry) Wilson and all those guys that are in, Louie's career rivals theirs."

That's nine. For the next 24 hours, though, Little is the one and only. Little's high opinion of the other Broncos isn't completely biased. Many others share the same feelings about Thompson, Gradishar, Mecklenburg, Sharpe, et al.

A common reaction to Little's election, though, was not whether he was deserving, but why it took so long. Once Little wasn't elected in the 1980s, he seemed to fall into a two-decade hole of oblivion, yesterday's candidate.

It took a push from yesterday's players, fans and football writers to correct the injustice.

"He was the type of running back where, as a defense, you better not have any weaknesses because he was going to find that gap and he had enough speed to exploit it," said Dick LeBeau, sounding like the defensive coordinator that he is and Little's senior Hall of Fame partner in the Class of 2010. "So as a defense you knew you had to be completely coordinated and on your toes or Floyd was going to hurt you.

"He was definitely the man you had to contain when you played Denver."

Little starred at Syracuse in 1965 when Biden was attending law school there, and they later became friends.

"I asked him to help unveil my bust," Little said. "He hasn't responded yet."

About that bust. Little, who will be presented at the induction by his son, Marc, saw some of the initial sketches and didn't care for the shaved-head look he sports now — even if baldness looks good when bronzed. See the busts of Y.A. Tittle and Tom Landry.

"Nah. I wanted to capture a little bit of then and a little bit of now," Little said. "I don't want me being in there how I look today."

For so many other Broncos players who had distinguished careers, the problem isn't getting in after growing old. It's about not getting in.

See Little on the big screen.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Big day for Floyd Little

Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony today:

Place: Fawcett Stadium, Canton, Ohio.

Time, TV: 5 p.m., ESPN, NFL.

Class of 2010: Floyd Little, Broncos; Emmitt Smith, Cowboys; Jerry Rice, 49ers; John Randle, Vikings; Russ Grimm, Redskins; Dick LeBeau, Lions; Rickey Jackson, Saints.

Speeches: Presenters limited to four minutes; inductees are not to talk longer than nine minutes.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
This is GREAT

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/07/floyd-littles-no-44-on-broncos-helmets-tonight/4337/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter&utm_content=Twitter

Canton, Ohio _ Floyd Little got up from the breakfast table this morning to take a call from Broncos coach and Canton-native Josh McDaniels. Little couldn’t eat, anyway, as tonight he will be formally inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Even though it was 6:20 a.m. Denver time, McDaniels was thinking clearly enough to point out that Little was in Canton by way of Denver, and McDaniels was in Denver by way of Canton.

McDaniels told Little that the Broncos’ players would wear No. 44 decals on their helmets tonight when they scrimmage at Invesco Field at Mile High. Little’s speech will be played on the Invesco Field large screen following the scrimmage.

When Little comes back to formally receive his Hall of Fame ring for the weekend of the Sept. 26, and the game against the Indianapolis Colts, he will speak to the Broncos’ full squad at McDaniels’ invitation.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Well good for him. Let's hope there will be several other Broncos in in the next few years many of which deserve it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Great way to pay homage to Little.

KCL
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
It's a shame that some of these players get in so many years after they've quit playing.

broncophan
08-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Living here in Ohio.....I should have made plans to go up to the induction ceremony today.:(.......it is a beautiful day.......I will have to watch it on tv....

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/the-wait-is-over/

Broncos’ Vice President of Corporate Communications Jim Saccomano is in Canton, Ohio, this weekend as part of the team’s contingent for Floyd Little’s enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Throughout the weekend, Saccomano will be phoning in some thoughts and observations on Little’s big weekend.

Tonight, Floyd Little will see himself in bronze. He’ll come face-to-face with the bust of a much younger man, a symbol of all the years that went by before his recognition. His son Marc will present him, and nobody would be surprised if Little shed tears during his speech.

“Floyd’s in his 60s,” Saccomano said. “Many of the people that he played with, many of the coaches he played under are no longer with us. His mother has passed away. There will be a lot of emotion tonight I’m sure.”

Yesterday, Little participated in an equally emotional ritual at the Canton Civic Center. At a Hall of Fame luncheon, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell handed Marc Little an emblematic gold blazer on a center stage surrounded by all 300 members of the Hall, families, and friends like Jim Saccomano. Marc Little slipped the blazer onto his father, marking him a member of one of
the most exclusive fraternities in sports.

Little saved the speech for tonight. As Saccomano tells it, the Bronco legend embodied pure class, looking out 360 degrees from center stage and taking a bow to all four corners of the room.

“Floyd acted like Floyd acts. He took the stage elegantly,” Saccomano said.

The luncheon’s informal name is the Nitschke luncheon because of how much former Green Bay Packers linebacker Ray Nitschke used to love the event. A terror on the field but a warm man off of it, Nitschke used to work the room at the luncheon with so
much affection that his name attached itself to the event.

Saccomano compared the experience of entering the luncheon for the former players to that of a new bride walking down the aisle.

“The part where he’s walking in there, it had to be staggering,” he said. “This is the moment where it’s all about you. Seriously, how different from a young woman walking down the aisle for a wedding?

The Hall of Famers were all doling out hugs, kisses and handshakes to the newest members of their club in accordance with the happy occasion. The luncheon is an opportunity for all the members of the Hall to share what the membership means to them.

Another newly minted Hall of Famer, Pete Rozelle Radio-TV Award winner Chris Berman, spoke for 23 minutes. Saccomano said the speech wasn’t a minute too long.

“It was one of those, ‘I love pro football’ speeches,” Saccomano said. “He was long, but he was riveting. Anytime someone has a passion for what he does, I think you appreciate it more. It was terrific.”

Berman’s broadcasting partner, former Broncos linebacker Tom Jackson, was also at the event. Saccomano said Berman mentioned Jackson in his speech, hoping that one day Jackson would be standing at the same podium as a recipient of the Rozelle award.

Once Jackson and Saccomano made eye contact, the old friends rushed over to catch up with each other. Since 1973, Jackson has had an uninterrupted career in pro footall as either a player or an announcer

“We’ve known each other a long, long time,” Saccomano said. “Every time Tom and I see each other it’s literally a hug and a kiss. Tom’s had quite a career.”

Some other attendees with Broncos ties included announcer Jim Gray, a huge Little fan who has long lobbied for his induction, Tom Graham, father of Daniel Graham and Broncos alumni himself, Billy Thompson, a Broncos Ring of Fame member, and Fran Lynch, Little’s roommate throughout his professional career.

Little’s Broncos head coach Lou Saban’s grandchildren were also in attendance. Saban’s grandson now plays quarterback at Mullen High School under Dave Logan.

Each inductee had a following of family and friends in town to support them in addition to the town of Canton itself, which completely centers on the induction ceremony this time of year.

Canton held a parade today, and Saccomano said there were around 200,000 people attending. Here’s a little perspective. There are only about 80,000 people in canton and about 210,000 people in nearby Akron.

Close to 4,000 civic volunteers contribute to the event by helping shuttle people around the crowded town and work the logistics of the event.

It’s all for the stars like Little, who comprise around one percent of the population to play pro football, and who’s contributions inspired a nation of fans.

“It’s the league where nobody can make a play,” Saccomano said. “Nobody can cover the wide receiver, but nobody can beat the defensive back. Nobody can block the pass rusher, but you can’t get past the stud offensive tackle. Every guy is great. Every guy is a Hall of Famer.”

Bronco Bible
08-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is in ,now time to concentrate on the other Broncos that deserve this great honor. :beer: to the many people who kept his name in the minds of everyone:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 08:38 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15706937

CANTON, Ohio — On the day Floyd Little the football player was to receive assurance he would live forever, Floyd Douglas Little, the man born on the Fourth of July, picked at his breakfast.

It wasn't the food's fault.

"It feels just like a game," Little said. "I'm all full of adrenaline. A little nervous. Can't eat. Couldn't eat when I was a player, can't eat now. Let's get it on."

The Denver Broncos' first star with national appeal, Little had to wait 30 years after he was eligible for election to become the franchise's third player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday at Fawcett Stadium, the high school home field of Denver head coach Josh McDaniels.

"It's about time," Vice President Joe Biden said in a taped message.

Little then delivered not only the most powerful speech from a group of seven inductees that included Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith, but one Biden might study for future use.

After thanking the Lord, every member of his family, his coaches, many of his former teammates and the people who worked on getting him elected, Little concluded his 9 minute, 20 second speech with an uplifting message to underdogs everywhere.

"The road is always not so easy," Little said, looking at notes only once for transitional purposes. "I remember being a strong but angry young man in school. When I took my strength away, that became my weakness. After being kicked out of school, I reached an impasse in my life."

He said he had a vision from his late father, who said, as Little put it: "FLOYD! I have chosen you to take my place, to do what I could not do."

Little re-enrolled in school.

"I want to encourage you, every student, every athlete, every person who will hear my voice: Don't listen to the naysayers," Little said. "I had plenty of those. Don't listen to those who will judge you for your rough edges. Don't focus on your weakness so you won't become a victim. Find the goodness in you that says: Yes I can!"

Saving the Broncos

Halfway through his two-egg omelet Saturday morning, Little, the former Broncos running back great, got a call from McDaniels, who was kicking from inside his mother's womb when Little took his final handoff in 1975.

"He said, 'The next opportunity you have to come to Denver, I would like you to stand before our team and talk to our players,' " Little said of his conversation with McDaniels. "He said, 'I wasn't old enough to have seen you play, but I've researched you, and I know everything that you meant to us. All my players need to know who you are, and what you meant to this franchise."

The story goes that Little saved the Broncos franchise. A college sensation at Syracuse, Little became the Broncos' first, first-round draft pick to snub the National Football League and sign with Denver's struggling American Football League franchise. The excitement of Little's arrival, coupled with a nonprofit group that funded the expansion of Bears Stadium to what became Mile High Stadium in 1968, scuttled relocation plans and kept the team in Denver.

Little, 68 years old and 35 years since his final NFL carry, follows John Elway and Gary Zimmerman on the Broncos' list of Hall of Famers.

At breakfast, Little sat at the front of the far table in a cafeteria full of football greats. He was across from his son Marc, who presented Little to the Hall of Fame with a 3-minute, pretaped speech.

Along came Smith, the Dallas Cowboys running back great who looked as if he could have used a few more winks.

This wasn't Little's problem. He went to bed at 3 a.m. — he stayed up in his hotel room with his wife and daughters, talking about the exhilarating gold jacket presentation of the night and the enshrinement ahead — then got up at 6 a.m.

In the cafeteria, former Pittsburgh Steelers great Lynn Swann walked by to get some more coffee or juice when from behind he gave Little an impromptu shoulder massage.

"Hey, Lynn!" Little said, after turning to see who was working over his still strong shoulders.

"You know what the funny thing is," Little said, turning back to the table, "I've played with 75 percent of these guys."

Nearby was Hall of Fame receiver James Lofton, and the conversation in a cafeteria full of greats turned to Gordon Banks. An immortal in his own right, Banks was the best man at Lofton's wedding and now is the senior pastor of Little's church in Federal Way, Wash.

"Gordon Banks is a guy who never played in college and went on to have an eight-year professional career," Lofton said.

Banks could have picked up a few tips from Little's speech.

All the red-shirted Hall of Famers are supposed to autograph the footballs sitting at the back of the cafeteria, but by the time Little sauntered over, he was supposed to climb into a convertible and ride in the Hall of Fame parade.

"Oh, Flo-o-o-y-d!" everybody in the room teased. "Come on, Floyd!"

Little laughed and headed with his family to the start of the parade route.

Gold-jacket presentation

Many Hall of Famers have looked back at their special weekend and said the induction ceremony was anticlimactic compared with the Hall of Fame gold-jacket presentation the previous night.

As members of the new Hall class were waiting in a holding room for ESPN's Chris Berman to stop talking Friday, Little was filled with calm and peace. And a little feistiness.

Joining him among senior players elected was Dick LeBeau, the former Detroit Lions defensive back who is now the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator. LeBeau has taken on a protective, never-let-them-read-you persona that is typical of longtime NFL coaches. But Little poked away at LeBeau's guard.

"I tell Dick, when you get introduced, let me go up in your place," Little said. "They can't tell the difference, anyway, because we both wore No. 44."

LeBeau couldn't help smiling at Little's playfulness.

"He said, 'You know what? I think they might, Floyd,' " Little said. " 'I think they might know the difference.' "

Finally, Little and his son Marc were led away from the holding room to the bottom of a runway that led to a large, glittering stage. Harsh spotlights were strobed off the black, glossy surface. A large, formally dressed audience was fixated on Rickey Jackson, who was on stage getting his gold jacket.

Marc quickly choreographed how he was going to slip on the gold jacket for his dad.

"And just as we were getting ready to walk out," Marc said, "I whispered in his ear: 'Welcome to immortality.' "

Out in the audience, former Broncos linebacker Tom Jackson was telling a story about his first encounter with Little.

"I'm a rookie, and Floyd runs a play off tackle," Jackson said. "This is 1973. And I hit Floyd right on the knee. Feeling pretty good about myself. Here I'm a rookie, just got a nice lick in on Floyd Little."

Up stepped John Ralston, then the Broncos' coach. Jackson figured he was about to get his first compliment from the head coach.

"He puts his arm around me," Jackson said. "And very quietly, John Ralston explains to me, 'Son, that's a quickest way out of here. Hitting our franchise on the knee.' "

"The Franchise" then, Floyd Little is now a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Now, and for the rest of his life.

"I feel I can finally breathe," Little said after the ceremony. "This has been a long, emotional journey for me. But this was supposed to be my time. I'm just glad I was still here to experience it."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
Floyd Little's career

1966 The star tailback becomes a three-time All-American at Syracuse, finishing his college career with 2,704 yards rushing and 4,947 all-purpose yards, breaking school records set by Jim Brown and Ernie Davis.

1967 Becomes the first first-round draft pick signed by the Broncos after he's chosen sixth overall.

1968 After taking over the starting job in his second season, earns first AFL all-star selection. Leads the league in all-purpose yards for a second consecutive season.

1969 Tops the league with 5.0 yards per carry and is named an AFL all-star.

1971 A career year, best in the NFL in rushing yards (1,133) and attempts (284).

1973 Led the Broncos in rushing for a seventh straight season, still a team record.

1975 Finishes a nine-year career as the Broncos' leader in rushing yards, attempts and TDs and now ranks behind only Terrell Davis. ... His 12,173 all-purpose yards stood as a team record until Rod Smith broke the mark in 2006. . . . His 6,323 yards rushing ranked seventh all-time in the NFL at the time.

1970 Rushes for 901 yards on 209 carries, a 4.3 average, with three touchdowns.

1972 859 yards on 216 carries, a 4.0 average.

1974 312 yards on 117 carries, 2.7 average.

1984 One of four original Broncos Ring of Fame inductees.

Feb. 6 Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
NFL career rushing leaders in 1975

When he retired, Floyd Little ranked seventh on the NFL's career rushing list. Each of the players above him at the time has since been elected to the Hall of Fame.

Rk. Player Yards Years
1. Jim Brown 12,312 1957-65
2. Joe Perry 9,723 1948-63
3. Jim Taylor 8,597 1958-67
4. O.J. Simpson 8,123 1969-75
5. Leroy Kelly 7,274 1964-73
6. John H. Johnson 6,803 1954-66
7. Floyd Little 6,323 1967-75
8. Don Perkins 6,217 1961-68
9. Ken Willard 6,105 1965-74
10. Larry Csonka 5,900 1968-75

Note: Simpson retired in 1979 with 11,236 yards, Csonka in 1979 with 8,081 yards. Both are in the Hall of Fame.

Little's career stats

After his nine seasons as the Broncos' "franchise" player, Floyd Little finished ranked No. 1 on the team's all-time list for rushing yards, attempts and touchdowns:

Year Team G Att Yds TD Lng Avg.
1967 Denver 13 130 381 1 4 2.9
1968 Denver 11 158 584 3 55 3.7
1969 Denver 9 146 729 6 48 5.0
1970 Denver 14 209 901 3 80 4.3
1971 Denver 14 284 1,133 6 40 4.0
1972 Denver 14 216 859 9 55 4.0
1973 Denver 14 256 979 12 47 3.8
1974 Denver 14 117 312 1 22 2.7
1975 Denver 14 125 445 2 19 3.6
Career totals 117 1,641 6,323 43 80 3.9

Pro Bowls/AFL All-Star Game1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973

drewloc
08-08-2010, 01:12 PM
I finally got to watch the speech this morning. I can tell you that he is one of the best speakers I have ever seen. Even being in between Rice and Smith, Floyd had what I consider to be the best speech of them all. It was such a moving experience, that it almost brought me to tears. He is twice the man he is football player, and he was one hell of a ball player. Hats off to "The Franchise", it was well deserved, and he once again didn't disappoint.

broken12
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
great he's in! broncos should use their speech as a platform to get fellow teamates in though imo! atwater, sharpe, smith davis should be in atwater was as good as any other safety, meck was awesome, dont know how he's not even mentioned, randy g its a shame he not in also!

RedFalcon
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
His speech at the induction was just great, among all inductees. I really enjoyed it, and he looks like such a great character. It's great he's finally a Hall of Famer. Well deserved.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 02:53 PM
And - I think the following is GREAT

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ontent=Twitter

When Little comes back to formally receive his Hall of Fame ring for the weekend of the Sept. 26, and the game against the Indianapolis Colts, he will speak to the Broncos’ full squad at McDaniels’ invitation.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15707463

CANTON, Ohio — At 9 Saturday night, the Pro Football Hall of Fame was shut, still and silent as an intruder slipped through a side door and into the large, spherical room where soft lights focused on 253 bronze busts. On the west wall, there were seven bare stands. Six encircled the one that was the center of attention.

The inscription:

Floyd Little

Running Back

Denver Broncos 1967-75

At last, at long adventure's end, he has reached Canton.

Floyd Little, Hall of Famer.

Across the street at Fawcett Stadium 35 minutes later, in the rousing style of a traveling, tent evangelist, in a short, stirring speech — the finest of the evening — Floyd would conclude with: "I've given you the best I've got, and I'm a better person for it."

And the world is better because of Mr. Bronco — the player, the businessman, the person.

"I'm still standing," he started. An audience of 19,013, including about 300 orange-clad family, friends and followers of Little, roared approval.

Floyd was too strong to weep, although he would have been excused for flooding tears to wash away 30 years of sadness and bitterness because of rejection from the Hall.

His eyes gleamed in happiness.

"The timing was right," he said later. The Class of 2010 is great company for Little. In a speech 30 years in the thinking, Floyd said: "There are no words to describe the joy of experiencing this final sports chapter in my life. This is obviously the highest honor any football player can garner . . . I encourage you all to continue to dream for this moment."

John Elway, the only other Hall of Famer who spent his whole career in Denver, always will be the heart of the Broncos. Floyd Little always has been the soul.

On Friday, a 25-foot-high of photo of Floyd hung temporarily on the side of the stadium.

On Saturday, Floyd, 5-foot-10, stood on high inside the stadium.

Today, Floyd's bust, 2 feet high, will reside permanently in the hallowed Hall of Fame.

Floyd was feeling a mile high the entire weekend in Canton.

The sculptures of Little and Elway are separated by 13 feet — but the two are bonded as the only Hall of Fame players to spend their entire careers with the Broncos. When Floyd — born on the Fourth of July, 1942 — played high school ball, he couldn't dream of being in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There was no such thing. When he was a freshman at Syracuse University, in 1963, the Hall opened.

When Floyd played his second season with the Broncos, 1968, he couldn't dream of being in the Hall of Fame. Floyd was "fired" by coach Lou Saban on Nov. 24 after he fumbled, resulting in a go-ahead touchdown by Buffalo. But Floyd defied Saban, returned to the field, and scored the winning touchdown.

When Floyd rushed for a league-leading 1,133 yards in 1971, he finally could have Hall dreams. Millions of Coloradans and I were privileged to see the King of Orange run. Run Floyd Run. His final run was after a short catch for a 66-yard touchdown against the Eagles in '75.

When Floyd wasn't chosen by the media selection committee in his first year of eligibility, 1980, or any other year as a "contemporary" candidate, he could only dream of being in the Hall as a "senior" pick.

Floyd kept asking: "Why not me?"

Why not? When Floyd retired in 1975, he was seventh overall in NFL rushing yards. From 1967-75, only O.J. Simpson ran for more yards than Floyd's 6,323. . . . He averaged more yards per carry and game than most running backs in the Hall of Fame. . . . Floyd was a four-tool player — runner, pass receiver, blocker and returner. He twice was selected to the AFL All-Star Game and three times to the Pro Bowl.

And Floyd saved the franchise. He was the first first-round draft pick to sign with the Broncos. When the team was dangerously close to leaving Denver, Floyd not only starred on the field, but worked tirelessly on the election to transform the old baseball diamond into a new 75,000-seat football stadium. Mile High Stadium was The House Floyd Built.

When Floyd was passed over by the Hall's "senior" committee repeatedly, he stopped dreaming.

But a year ago, Floyd was within one vote of being nominated. And, finally, the day before Super Bowl XLIV (Little's number was 44), the Hall committee considered Floyd as a finalist. Thousands supported Floyd, but, in the end, his achievements and the effort of Jeff Legwold (then with the Rocky Mountain News, now with The Post, as the Denver rep on the election committee) were primarily responsible for his deserved honor.

Floyd had the patience of Job, the persistence of Gandhi, the performance of Sting, the passion of Atticus Finch, and he is one of a chosen few among the multitudes of pro football players.

The theme of his speech was: "Yes, I can."

Yes, he did.

And a 10-year-old boy in an orange 44 jersey left the stadium with his own dream of being in the Hall of Fame.

Floyd Little lived his dream Saturday night.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_15707456?source=commented-

CANTON, Ohio — Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith were the headliners of the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2010.

Floyd Little stole the show.

"Did I tell a story?" Little asked rhetorically. "Or was that a speech?"

For the past two weeks, Little told people he wasn't going to deliver a speech, he was going to tell a story. He told of an angry kid who overcame teachers who said he couldn't learn, coaches who said he couldn't play. His story — delivered between the speeches of Rice and Smith — gave hope to kids who may otherwise believe life isn't going their way.

"Over the top," said Darrell Green, the former Washington Redskins cornerback who was inducted in 2008. "His speech was great. Way over the top."

Little, who followed John Elway and Gary Zimmerman as Bronco players to have received the NFL's greatest individual honor, was enshrined Saturday, 35 years after he gained his last NFL yard.

He said he has never been a pastor or minister, but he's obviously heard a few speak.

"My son said somebody texted him that I hit it out of the park," Little said. "Marc kind of threw me off. I wasn't expecting that kind of introduction. I was kind of taken aback. I needed a few seconds to clear myself."

Little was talking about his son's three-minute prerecorded presentation, in which Marc spoke about how his father was an uncommon man. Marc Little spoke in soft tones.

Little boomed from the Fawcett Stadium pulpit.

"His speech had a lot of conviction," Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said. "I really appreciated it. I also really appreciate the Hall for exposing the greatness of Floyd. You had to kind of find that. I can't imagine what he would have been able to do on a good team."

In the end, it was a grassroots campaign driven by lifelong fan Tom Mackie, a pivotal tweak in the election process that made it easier for senior candidates to be remembered, the presentation of Denver Post reporter Jeff Legwold to the voting electorate, and the 44-man voting body that finally righted what long-serving Hall of Famers said was an injustice.

"I don't know that anybody who's gone into the Hall has dragged everything with him like Floyd did," Young said. "He kind of pulled the whole thing. That was great."

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/hall_of_fame/x145185650/HOF-2010-Floyd-Little-breathed-new-life-into-Broncos

America was a land of limited opportunities for a black man in the 1940s and ’50s. Growing up in the projects of Waterbury and New Haven, Conn., Floyd Little faced issues even more daunting than race.

“I lost my dad when I was 5,” Little said. “My mom had six kids on welfare, all of them a year apart.

“It was very challenging for us every month. Those were very tough times.”

From that harsh background, Little learned determination, ambition and a work ethic. He also discovered sports.

Little found his years of dodging bullies helped him become a state champion sprinter and an all-state running back on the Hillhouse (Conn.) High School football team.

Little excelled in life and football. He broke the Syracuse University rushing records of Jim Brown and Ernie Davis. The 5-foot-10, 196-pounder was a five-time Pro Bowler after becoming the first first-round pick to sign with the Denver Broncos.

He churned out 12,157 all-purpose yards from 1967-75 with his rushing, receiving and return skills. No one else in the NFL during that span was even close.

His greatest professional accomplishment was helping to transform a moribund Denver team headed out of town into a thriving NFL franchise. He earned a law degree and was a successful businessman for three decades after football.

Little’s ultimate reward, 35 years after he finished his gridiron career as the NFL’s seventh-leading rusher, is induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

“I’ve said for years that Floyd deserves to be in the Hall of Fame,” said Brown, Cleveland’s Hall of Fame back. “There’s no question in my mind that he’s one of the game’s greatest players. Just ask anyone who ever played with Floyd.

“They’ll tell you he was a pro’s pro and a true legend who probably did more for the team he played for, the Denver Broncos, than any single player did for his own team.”

“In my opinion, Floyd Little is the greatest Bronco of us all,” Denver Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway said.

RELUCTANT BRONCO

Little didn’t want to play in Denver or for the woeful Broncos. He was the first three-time college All-American since Southern Methodist’s Doak Walker in the 1940s. He was the first Syracuse back to run for 1,000 yards in a season.

In 1967, the bright lights of New York beckoned. A year after the AFL-NFL merger had burst the players’ bubble, performing for Sonny Werblin’s Jets and quarterback Joe Namath was Little’s chance to cash in on his East Coast fame.

“I’m still mad,” Little said. “I was offered a great deal with the Jets if I could’ve gotten past the Broncos. Denver had the sixth pick, New York the ninth. The Jets were going to give me the same deal they gave Joe Namath, $400,000.”

It didn’t happen. New Denver Head Coach and General Manager Lou Saban opted at the last minute for Little over offensive lineman Gene Upshaw.

“When I heard I was drafted, I about died,” Little said. “I said who are the Broncos? Where’s Denver? I was not pleased.

“Going to Syracuse was the best decision I ever made. And going to Denver, that was the second-best thing I did.”

A SLOW START

Little did not explode onto the pro football scene as he had at Bordentown Military Academy, where he never lost a game. Nor like he did at Syracuse, where he scored five touchdowns his first game against Kansas and Gayle Sayers.

Rather, he simmered. Behind a porous line, with no other weapons around him, Little ran 130 times for 381 yards and one touchdown in his rookie season. He was an instant threat on kick returns, though, leading the NFL in punt returns with a 16.9-yard average.

By his third season he rushed for 729 yards and led the NFL with an average of 5.0 yards per carry. The bowlegged, swivel-hipped Little averaged 930 yards his next four seasons. He was the first Bronco to go over 1,000 yards, when he led the NFL with 1,133 in 1971.

“You watched Floyd run and you didn’t think he was very fast, but you couldn’t catch him,” Steelers Hall of Fame defensive lineman Joe Greene said. “He didn’t give you the impression he was very elusive, but he made you miss. He didn’t look very strong, but he broke tackles.

“Floyd was at the top of his game when (Pittsburgh) came into the AFC.”

SUPPORTING CAST

His rushing numbers were good, but his team averaged four wins during his first five seasons and was at the bottom of most offensive categories.

“Floyd did not have the supporting cast that some of the other great backs had,” said Denver defensive lineman Richard Jackson, a member of Denver’s Ring of Fame. “I mean, all across the board. Not to belittle the offensive linemen, not to belittle the quarterbacks, not to belittle the team.

“He just didn’t.”

Browns Hall of Famer Leroy Kelly, who began as a return specialist in 1964, saw the same thing.

“He was similar to the way I ran,” Kelly said. “We weren’t big backs. He didn’t take big shots, and he was pretty shifty.

“I had Dick Schafrath, Gene Hickerson, Monte Clark, John Wooten blocking for me. When Jim Brown left, he was good enough to leave me his line.

“Floyd didn’t have that.”

NINE-TIME CAPTAIN

Little never had much to work with. He never played on a team with a Pro Bowler on the offensive line or at quarterback. He never played in a postseason game.

In fact, Little was not on a winning team until age 32, his seventh season.

“My first year we had 26 rookies,” Little said. “I captained the team every year for nine years. I don’t know anyone who captained every team they were on.”

“Losing is depressing, (like) a rainy day,” said Larry Csonka, Little’s running mate two years at Syracuse and a Pro Football Hall of Fame back with Miami. “But that’s not going to change you personally. Floyd knew that going into (Denver).

“He was a class guy, like Walter Payton. I don’t say that about many people. They were very alike. Very likable. Positive people.”

What Little did best was lead. Inspire. Challenge with words and his fists, if needed. If the Broncos lost, it wasn’t going to be because he didn’t try or care.

SHOWING PERSISTENCE

In Little’s second NFL season, his fumble set up a Buffalo field goal that gave the Bills the lead with less than two minutes left. Saban benched Little, but he went back into the game despite Saban’s objections, caught a long pass and Denver won in the final seconds, 34-32.

“Every defense was designed to stop Floyd Little,” said Billy Thompson, Denver’s director of alumni relations and former All-Pro defensive back. “He was doing everything back then. That’s what’s so different now. He was so versatile: He ran the ball, caught the ball, returned kicks and punts.

“He was always available to do whatever it took to win.”

Even in the summer of the NFL’s discontent.

“We went on strike in 1974,” Denver running back Otis Armstrong said of a league-wide 44-day training camp holdout. “Floyd was the captain. We went back to the local high school, George Washington, and trained every day.

“Guys wanted to go home, but he kept us all together.”

That togetherness produced a 7-6-1 record, the first time Denver had back-to-back winning seasons.

TOUGH, TENACIOUS

The team always came first with Little. It had to.

Forced to grow up faster than anyone should, he shined shoes on the village green in elementary school to aid his family. By high school, Little was running a convenience store.

“I had to fight to keep the change while going to the store to get food for my mom,” he said. “You learned to run fast and fight. I didn’t let them beat me up. I was pretty tough.”

Little’s tenacity came to light in his first high school football game. It forever changed the course of his life.

“We were playing Warren Harding from Bridgeport. We had three running backs in front of me,” Little said. “We were getting whipped, 21-0, before halftime. I asked my coach, Dan Casey, to put me in. He said, ‘What’s your name?’ I said Floyd Little. He said, ‘Floyd Little, sit your ass down.’

“I went back again ... and again. I said, ‘Coach, one play. What can it hurt? We’re losing.’ He finally says go in. ... I go 68 yards for a touchdown. I neglected to tell the quarterback I wasn’t supposed to carry the ball. First carry, touchdown. Fans are going crazy. Coach comes down and said, ‘Floyd, next time we get the ball I want you to go in.’

“So I go 78 yards, another touchdown. I wound up scoring four touchdowns and we beat them, 28-21. Nobody else ever had a chance again. I never looked back.”

MENTORS

Little’s father figures were Casey, Harold Morrison Smith of Bordentown Military Academy and Syracuse coach Ben Schwartzwalder.

“As a senior, I would have been ineligible. Coach Casey did everything he could to get me into a prep school, junior college, anything. He said ‘You’ve got too much talent to do nothing.’

“Then I met Dr. Harold Morrison Smith. He wanted to integrate Bordentown. It was an all-white school. He was looking for someone with maturity. They felt I was mature enough to handle people taking (racial) shots at me. He took a chance — God bless him.”

Bordentown went 16-0 against college freshmen teams with Little in the backfield. His running drew the attention of powerhouses Notre Dame and Army, two of 47 universities to offer him scholarships. But Syracuse won out because of an Ernie Davis visit, and when Davis died shortly thereafter, Little kept his word of becoming an Orangeman.

Little twice finished fifth in the Heisman voting and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983.

“It was the best decision I ever made,” Little has said 100 times since.

When a predraft article said Little wasn’t big enough or fast enough to play in the NFL, he used that as motivation.

“No one can determine what I can do,” he said. “Nobody puts limits on me, but me. I’m a three-time All-American. You telling me I can’t play?”

LAW SCHOOL

In the midst of his football career, Little decided he wanted to be a lawyer. Eyebrows were raised. Yet Little graduated 40th in a class of 144 from the University of Denver School of Law. Again and again, Little used his success to remind others of what they could accomplish if they tried their best.

“Someone else’s labels or opinions of you should not become your reality,” he said. “When people tell you what you can or can’t do and you believe it, then it becomes your reality. But I’m the only one to decide. You can measure height, size, speed, strength — but you can’t judge a person’s desire or heart.

“I hate being denied opportunity. Never say never, never say no.”

Little spread that message to others. In so doing, he “paid forward” the message of helping others espoused to him by Bordentown’s Smith.

Little won the National YMCA Brian Piccolo Award for humanitarian service, the NFL’s Byron “Whizzer” White Man of the Year Award and NFL Players Association Humanitarian Award in 1974. He chaired Colorado’s Easter Seals campaign, the United Negro College Fund drive, the Colorado Epilepsy Foundation, the Arthritis Foundation.

His personal credo was simple: “I choose not to be a common man, because it is my right to be uncommon if I can.”

“He was not pretentious. Floyd did what he said he would,” Thompson said. “He’s a guy you can rely on, a great friend to have. I can’t say enough about him. If I was in a foxhole, I want him with me.”

KCL
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Carol...ran across this and thought this would be good to post.

Floyd Little44.com (http://www.floydlittle44.com/)