PDA

View Full Version : Pats claim injured safety Barrett

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I had NO CLUE that players put on IR had to first clear waivers :shocked:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/06/pats-claim-injured-safety-barrett/4320/

Josh McDaniels announced Thursday afternoon that third-year safety Josh Barrett would be placed on the injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

Well, not so fast.

McDaniels’ former boss, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots claimed Barrett off waivers on Friday. Typically injured players go unclaimed.

Barrett was surely surprised by the move.

The Denver Post spoke to Barrett after practice Friday morning, and Barrett said he already had surgery scheduled for early next week at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic to repair his injured left shoulder.

Barrett was bothered by a shoulder injury through much of 2009 and then spent nearly all of his offseason here in Denver going through rehab at Dove Valley. He passed his physical and said his shoulder felt great as camp opened on Aug. 1. After only a couple of practices, though, the shoulder injury flared up again and he and the team decided season-ending surgery was the only answer.

Now, it seems, those decisions are on hold and will need to be re-made by the Patriots.

At least one member of the New England staff is familiar with Barrett. Scott O’Brien was the Broncos’ special teams coach in 2008, when the team drafted Barrett out of Arizona State.

Barrett’s main role in Denver in 2008 and 2009 was on special teams, particularly on the punt and kickoff coverage units.

Superchop 7
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
This is weird.

Sconnie Bronco
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM
slick

Lonestar
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Well they know talent in NE. I was hoping he would be our starter when Dawkins and the other guy moved on.

Looks like he made out on this deal. Going to a perenial contender.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

slim
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
His shoulders are trashed.

I doubt he ever makes an impact on any team.

Dirk
08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Good luck to him! :salute:

Damn you Belicheck! :mad:

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2010, 07:08 PM
How dumb was Denver, and the other 27 NFl teams or so, to not pick up Tom Brady a couple years ago when he went to the IR...

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 07:10 PM
How dumb was Denver, and the other 27 NFl teams or so, to not pick up Tom Brady a couple years ago when he went to the IR...

The rule only applies if you are put on IR in the preseason, Brady was put there in week 1.

Nomad
08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
The rule only applies if you are put on IR in the preseason, Brady was put there in week 1.

Must be something rarely done because I never heard of this rule!!

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 07:13 PM

I had never heard of it before today either. Andrew Mason posted earlier today that this almost never happens.

shank
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
wtf

topscribe
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Well . . . if McDaniels trusted Belichick before, I wonder if he does now. When
you are young, I guess many things you just have to learn the hard way . . .

-----

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Well . . . if McDaniels trusted Belichick before, I wonder if he does now. When
you are young, I guess many things you just have to learn the hard way . . .

-----

Assuming McD knew this rule (which I'm sure he did) I doubt he is dumb or naive enough to think Bellichick wouldn't take advantage of the rule if there were a player he wanted.

Not really sure how this would break any kind of trust though, unless there was some sort of gentlemen's agreement we don't know of not to do this sort of thing.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2010, 07:33 PM

I agree, and this to me is a STUPID rule - but no one ask me :D Anyhow, what do they think a team is accomplishing my putting someone on IR during training camp - they are NOT trying to hide that player :confused:

Tempus Fugit
08-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I agree, and this to me is a STUPID rule - but no one ask me :D Anyhow, what do they think a team is accomplishing my putting someone on IR during training camp - they are NOT trying to hide that player :confused:

It used to be used as a method of stashing players.

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM

It's actually not a bad rule when I think about it. That would be a good way of circumventing roster limit rules to stash players if not for this rule. By waiting until the regular season to IR someone they count against your roster limit and you can't circumvent that rule.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
It used to be used as a method of stashing players.

Stashing players during training camp????? Would you not want all of your players who can participate in training camp to do so, before cuts are made? I can see when the rosters need to be trimmed down, where this could result in stashing players, but not early on in training camp.

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Stashing players during training camp????? Would you not want all of your players who can participate in training camp to do so, before cuts are made? I can see when the rosters need to be trimmed down, where this could result in stashing players, but not early on in training camp.

It would basically act as an extended practice squad. Let's say you had more than 8 players you wanted on your PS, you could just put those extra players on IR before the deadline to cut your roster to 53, and that wouldn't count against your roster or PS limit. It would actually be a very smart way to stash young players. This rule prevents that though.

DenBronx
08-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Well...then does that mean someone can claim Doom if he is put on IR before week 1?

Doubt it.

I think there was something to Barrets contract that allowed the move. I doubt anyone would be able to claim Elvis if he was put on IR.

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Well...then does that mean someone can claim Doom if he is put on IR before week 1?

Doubt it.

I think there was something to Barrets contract that allowed the move. I doubt anyone would be able to claim Elvis if he was put on IR.

You're probably right, but I honestly don't know the answer to that.

Tempus Fugit
08-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Doubt it.

4 years of service time.........

I could pull the CBA for you, but these sites lay it out pretty well. I'll post some pertinent parts for people. The first is from last year, but the same rules apply, and the second link has the relevant CBA text:

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, from the beginning of the waiver system each year through the trading deadline (October 20, 2009), any veteran who has acquired four years of pension credit is not subject to the waiver system if the club desires to release him. After the trading deadline, such players are subject to the waiver system.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/football-101-official-rules-explained/154437-official-2009-nfl-waiver-system-explained.html

If a waived player is picked up by a team and then released again, he goes through the waiver wire process all over again.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/5/1016903/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2010, 09:00 PM
4 years of service time.........

I could pull the CBA for you, but these sites lay it out pretty well. I'll post some pertinent parts for people. The first is from last year, but the same rules apply, and the second link has the relevant CBA text:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/football-101-official-rules-explained/154437-official-2009-nfl-waiver-system-explained.html

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/5/1016903/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire

Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see where this applies to injured players.

Tempus Fugit
08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see where this applies to injured players.

He was waived.

The move was first reported by the Denver Post as Barrett was waived by the Denver Broncos in the midst of his third season with the team. According to the Denver Post, Barrett has shoulder surgery scheduled to repair his injured left shoulder early next week and was going to be placed on injured reserve. But he had to clear waivers before moving to IR.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/08/patriots_claim.html

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 09:09 PM
He was waived.

He was put on IR, which automatically put him on waivers. He wasn't just straight up waived though.

red98
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
He was put on IR, which automatically put him on waivers. He wasn't just straight up waived though.

Well he is a player subject to waivers.

He was actually "waived/injured" freeing up a roster spot. If he had cleared waivers he would have been placed on the "reserve/injured" list.

We could have put him directly on the "reserve/injured" list but then he would have counted toward the roster limit until after the first cut down.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks - I never knew that being put on injured reserved automatically meant that the player was automatically put on waivers - DANG Double whammy :tsk:

frauschieze
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
wtf

x2

I was really excited about Barrett. This season is setting up to blow.

broncophan
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
x2

I was really excited about Barrett. This season is setting up to blow.

I know it.......I didn't have much hope going into LAST season......and I was surprised with our 6-0 start....................but I REALLY don't like the way things are looking for this season.. even after only a week of camp....

Northman
08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
McD just got schooled by his mentor.

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Oh noes, he took a fringe player who wasn't going to play this year anyway. He really showed us!

jhildebrand
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't know. I can still clearly see both Barrett and Lowry taking some HORRIBLE angles.

I am not too worried about it.

Should NE try to practice squad someone, I hope we can return the favor if it is warranted.

DenBronx
08-06-2010, 10:54 PM

I think because he wasn't a seasoned vet he had to clear waivers FIRST before actually going on IR. Once your on IR i don't think it's possible for another team to sign you. So, I don't think Barret cleared the waiver wire first and was never placed on IR as a Bronco.

Tempus Fugit
08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I think because he wasn't a seasoned vet he had to clear waivers FIRST before actually going on IR. Once your on IR i don't think it's possible for another team to sign you. So, I don't think Barret cleared the waiver wire first and was never placed on IR as a Bronco.

Exactly

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Kinda sucks. I liked Barrett. Good luck in NE if he passes his physical... If he doesn't then the Pats will have to put him on the waived/IR list anyways so we'll be able to get him back I'd assume...

Bosco
08-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Do you seriously believe McD didn't know this could happen?

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Kinda sucks. I liked Barrett. Good luck in NE if he passes his physical... If he doesn't then the Pats will have to put him on the waived/IR list anyways so we'll be able to get him back I'd assume...

he is not going to pass his physical why do you think we were putting on IR.

If they waive him for IR like we did yes we can get him back.

Unless we wait ed to put him on IR in the final cut down he was subject to being waived injured.

Much the same way you have to waive someone to put them on your PS.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Do you seriously believe McD didn't know this could happen?

Just his quaint way of showing his disdain for Josh.

GEM
08-07-2010, 01:58 AM
They said on the radio tonight that there is a gentleman's rule between the teams that no one claims guys off injured reserve waivers. Most of the local and national guys had never heard of it happening because of this unspoken rule.

GEM
08-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Oh noes, he took a fringe player who wasn't going to play this year anyway. He really showed us!

I think the more important schooling was done by the studient...a WIN in his first year as a head coach.....Billy Boy probably hates the Broncos. :lol:

Timmy!
08-07-2010, 02:40 AM
So, in review:

BB is a douche, and Barrett has always pretty much sucked.

/thread

:D

Jagsbch
08-07-2010, 06:44 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/45/l_ee2e2b3f2df24702abf988d03d780485.jpg

Something smells fishy...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2010, 10:05 AM

In the article, it said that Barrett had surgery scheduled this coming week. If the surgery does take place, could NE put him on the PUP, rather than IR, which would mean he would not have to clear waivers? I can not see NE claiming him on waivers, and then take a chance they could lose him by putting him on IR.

Tempus Fugit
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
They said on the radio tonight that there is a gentleman's rule between the teams that no one claims guys off injured reserve waivers. Most of the local and national guys had never heard of it happening because of this unspoken rule.

It's rare that another team claims someone being waived/injured, but it does happen. Some believe it's wrong to claim these players from other teams, and some have no problem with it.

The Jaguars did this to a Browns player last year. Cleveland tried to waive/injured Don Carey, and the Jags claimed him.

GEM
08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
It's rare that another team claims someone being waived/injured, but it does happen. Some believe it's wrong to claim these players from other teams, and some have no problem with it.

The Jaguars did this to a Browns player last year. Cleveland tried to waive/injured Don Carey, and the Jags claimed him.

It will be interesting to watch this animosity build between Billy Boy and McD. I want to see if it stays friendly or if the gloves start coming off. Oh the drama of the NFL. :lol:

Tempus Fugit
08-07-2010, 11:28 AM
It will be interesting to watch this animosity build between Billy Boy and McD. I want to see if it stays friendly or if the gloves start coming off. Oh the drama of the NFL. :lol:

Unfortunately, even over here in New England, we're not getting the background on this story yet. Belichick has been effusive in his praise of McDaniels, and the teams have traded with one another yet, on the other hand, we've got this.

Shot across the bow, coincidence or something discussed and ok'd. I look forward to finding out which.

Jagsbch
08-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, even over here in New England, we're not getting the background on this story yet. Belichick has been effusive in his praise of McDaniels, and the teams have traded with one another yet, on the other hand, we've got this.

Shot across the bow, coincidence or something discussed and ok'd. I look forward to finding out which.

Demaryius Thomas was the result of a Patriots trade.

Denver traded a 5th round selection it acquired from New England back to New England for offensive lineman Russ Hochstein.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5443689

It is a normal occurrence each preseason in the NFL, and rarely are these waived/injured players claimed by other teams. In August 2009, the Jacksonville Jaguars claimed Don Carey, who was waived/injured by the Cleveland Browns. The Jaguars kept Carey on their 80-man roster until the 75-man cut-down date, at which time they moved him to injured reserve without having to first expose him to waivers.

In the case of Barrett, the Patriots are likely to follow the same procedure, provided that the team feels that he is not healthy enough to play this season.

To make room for Barrett, the Patriots released running back Thomas Clayton, a long shot to make the roster.

Barrett entered the league as a seventh-round draft choice of the Broncos and his primary contributions have come on special teams. As a rookie in Denver, he was coached by current Patriots special-teams coach Scott O'Brien.

Buff
08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I never understood the love affair with Barrett or Ryan Torain. Both guys were injured 95% of the time and neither guy seemed all that good when they were healthy.

But what do I know, New England obviously thinks enough of him to snatch him up.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I never understood the love affair with Barrett or Ryan Torain. Both guys were injured 95% of the time and neither guy seemed all that good when they were healthy.

But what do I know, New England obviously thinks enough of him to snatch him up.

IIRC barrett led the team in special team tackles ,if not was real high on the list.

was an up and coming Safety a replacement in the making.

as for RT I concur

ikillz0mbies
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
As good as Barrett is on special teams, I personally think we have someone better in David Bruton. Not really worried about this, just best of luck to Barrett.

Bosco
08-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Josh Barrett played in 14 games last year.

red98
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
In the article, it said that Barrett had surgery scheduled this coming week. If the surgery does take place, could NE put him on the PUP, rather than IR, which would mean he would not have to clear waivers? I can not see NE claiming him on waivers, and then take a chance they could lose him by putting him on IR.

No. You have to be on the PUP on the day training camp begins or never.

NE can put him on IR after the first roster cut down.

In the mean time he will occupy a roster spot.

red98
08-07-2010, 08:26 PM

I don't know, Torain did pretty good on all 6 or so of his carries.

As for Barrett, his old special teams coach thinks he's worth a training camp roster spot, so there's that I guess.:whoknows: