PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have a lot of youth in place

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Just look at all the young talent the Broncos have right now. Some of these guys may not be super stars, but we are slowly building a lot better team for the Culter era!

Average age: 24 years old

Offense
Jay Cutler QB 25
Andre Hall RB 25
Ryan Torain RB 21
Selvin Young RB 24
Peyton Hillis FB 22
Keary Colbert WR 26
Brandon Marshall WR 24
Marquay McDaniel WR 24
Eddie Royal WR 22
Tony Scheffler TE 25
Dylan Gandy G 26
Chris Kuper G 25
Kory Lichtensteiger OL 23
Ryan Clady OT 21
Ryan Harris OT 23
Erik Pears OT 26

Defense
Larry Birdine DE 24
Tim Crowder DE 23
Jarvis Moss DE 23
Steven Harris DT 23
Carlton Powell DT 22
Dewayne Robertson DT 26
Marcus Thomas DT 22
Elvis Dumervil DL 24
Jordan Beck LB 25
Spencer Larsen LB 24
D.J. Williams LB 25
Domonique Foxworth CB 25
Karl Paymah CB 25
Jack Williams CB 23
Hamza Abdullah S 24
Josh Barrett S 23
Roderick Rogers S 23
Matt Prater PK 23
Sam Paulescu P 24

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Its sexy isnt it.

A solid D, and A few top notch players, like a 1st and 2nd next year and the following year and boy oh boy we should be good for a long long time. Of course we need health and the law on our side, but its ok because i am already knocking on wood.

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
And I left some guys off the list... I just noticed... so we have a few more key contributors that you can add to the mix

Requiem / The Dagda
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
After years of being one of the older teams in the league due to fossil's on the roster, we've started a big youth movement -- granted, a lot of these guys won't pan out -- but we have a lot of quality young contributors already. Another full draft and hopefully a few off-season acquisitions it'll be even better. It's nice to have a younger team; and a younger team that's going to only get better through experience.

LRtagger
07-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Looks good. I cant wait to see how the roster looks after next season's draft.

NameUsedBefore
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Youth is great when it's sprinkled about the roster, but when it blankets the entire team you're basically asking for a trainwreck IMO.

The fact we are so young is pretty much why I'm bracing myself for the worst this coming season. I'm excited because young players are fun to watch, but at the same time I can't help but cringe at the thought of something like our defensive line which is laden with unproven players; being the unit whose weakness has been the most damaging of them all these past few years doesn't help either.

Slick
07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Youth is great when it's sprinkled about the roster, but when it blankets the entire team you're basically asking for a trainwreck IMO.

The fact we are so young is pretty much why I'm bracing myself for the worst this coming season. I'm excited because young players are fun to watch, but at the same time I can't help but cringe at the thought of something like our defensive line which is laden with unproven players; being the unit whose weakness has been the most damaging of them all these past few years doesn't help either.

I was thinking basically the same thing. More than likely, a lot of those guys will be starting. Special Teams might be breath holding time for us all, but hopefully the defense will be hungry, motivated, and look to avenge last years performance. I'm most confident about the offense.

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 05:11 PM

It's a lot easier to lose with a young team with potential who isn't really expected to contend for a super bowl than a team who is predicted to do well and then blow it leaving you and everyone else wonder what went wrong. This year we know we won't be great. If we are good it will be a shock and just a great surprise. If we do how we think we will, not very good, then it shouldn't be that bad of a season as long as the Broncos show potential and improvement.

elsid13
07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
The thing you need to add to the list is number of years in the league. Even though some of those guys are young they are entering thier 3rd or 4th year in the league.

Den21vsBal19
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I was thinking basically the same thing. More than likely, a lot of those guys will be starting. Special Teams might be breath holding time for us all, but hopefully the defense will be hungry, motivated, and look to avenge last years performance. I'm most confident about the offense.

Nothing new there, then ;)

Slick
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Nothing new there, then ;)

No doubt. Well with one exception, I never held my breath when Elam was lining up a FG inside 45 yards.

Den21vsBal19
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
No doubt. Well with one exception, I never held my breath when Elam was lining up a FG inside 45 yards.

This is true :sad::Cry:

fcspikeit
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM

He listed the youth on our team, not are starting roster :)

It's not as if all those guys will be on the field at the same time. If you look at our projected starting roster we have a nice mixture of both youth and experience

Sure a lot of guys look to be retiring after this year, But next year all our young guys will have that much more experience and they should be able to pick up where our veterans left off. It's how you build a dynasty, I like what I'm seeing :salute:

Lonestar
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
He listed the youth on our team, not are starting roster :)

It's not as if all those guys will be on the field at the same time. If you look at our projected starting roster we have a nice mixture of both youth and experience

Sure a lot of guys look to be retiring after this year, But next year all our young guys will have that much more experience and they should be able to pick up where our veterans left off. It's how you build a dynasty, I like what I'm seeing :salute:

But do not expect the moon like some will.. talent is nice something we have lacked at IMO for a few years.. now getting them all on the same page and on the same day will be the trick then building the confidence to win at all levels next..

I suspect 2009 will start our run.. 2008 will be all over the place great game bad game win some we should lose and lose some that we should win..

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm really like seeing Jack Williams... for some reason his smile reminds me of Darrent Williams. Everytime I see an interview with him you see him smile. Hopefully Jack can come in and do what I think he can do, despite his size.

lex
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm really like seeing Jack Williams... for some reason his smile reminds me of Darrent Williams. Everytime I see an interview with him you see him smile. Hopefully Jack can come in and do what I think he can do, despite his size.

Huh?

MOtorboat
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Huh?

I think his point was pretty clear.

Maybe, for once, just once, you don't have tocomment.

elsid13
07-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Maybe, for once, just once, you don't have to comment.

Your anger is wasted here my friend. I really do think you post some over at the mane, we get to be helluva lot meaner to each other

DenBronx
07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
But do not expect the moon like some will.. talent is nice something we have lacked at IMO for a few years.. now getting them all on the same page and on the same day will be the trick then building the confidence to win at all levels next..

I suspect 2009 will start our run.. 2008 will be all over the place great game bad game win some we should lose and lose some that we should win..

jrwiz, i thought that already happened the last couple of years. cant we go ahead and just start our run now?

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/rthombs/Norfolk20on20my20back2.jpg

slim
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Maybe, for once, just once, you don't have to comment.

C'mon bro, you know that's not possible.

Lonestar
07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
jrwiz, i thought that already happened the last couple of years. cant we go ahead and just start our run now?

I think it will start this year but being so young we will be very very inconsistent and with all the youth new scheme coaches and the schedule we probably will be 2-5 or 1-6 at the bye.. after that it should get much better .
If all the rookies make the squad this year that is 6-7 and with moss and Thomas from last year moss having his first full year, they are going to hit the rookie wall in about game 10-11.

That could be 20% of the team being rookies.. I see a better team than last year BUT still inconsistent..

Plus how many of last years rookies are going to have sophomore slumps..

2009 could be a legit year depending on how many folks we re-sign of those kids that are going to be FAs soon..

WARHORSE
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I think it will start this year but being so young we will be very very inconsistent and with all the youth new scheme coaches and the schedule we probably will be 2-5 or 1-6 at the bye.. after that it should get much better .
If all the rookies make the squad this year that is 6-7 and with moss and Thomas from last year moss having his first full year, they are going to hit the rookie wall in about game 10-11.

That could be 20% of the team being rookies.. I see a better team than last year BUT still inconsistent..

Plus how many of last years rookies are going to have sophomore slumps..

2009 could be a legit year depending on how many folks we re-sign of those kids that are going to be FAs soon..

Lol..............2-5 or 1-6 at the bye????

I got a sig for a month that says we will will be better than that!

If we dont have at least 3 wins after the first seven games, then you can change my sig to what you want for a month, and vice versa if we have 3 or more.............deal?

Optimism vs Pessimism?

Intelligence vs Intelligence?

Homerism vs No-merism?;)

Its a frindly bet.........

DenBronx
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
i think the worst we start out first 7 games is 3-4...at worst!

then after the bye our schedule looks to be alot easier than our first 7 games. but 1-6 is crazy! we might have been a average team last year at 7-9 but i think we have got a lot better and fixed alot of holes.

were in for a much better year than 7-9. I think we go 10-6 barring injury.

DEN @ OAK : WIN

2 Sep 14 SD @ DEN LOSS

3 Sep 21 NO @ DEN WIN

4 Sep 28 DEN @ KC LOSS

5 Oct 05 TB @ DEN WIN

6 Oct 12 JAC @ DEN LOSS

Oct 20 DEN @ NE LOSS

8 Bye

9 Nov 02 MIA @ DEN WIN

10 Nov 06 DEN @ CLE LOSS

11 Nov 16 DEN @ ATL WIN

12 Nov 23 OAK @ DEN WIN

13 Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ WIN

14 Dec 07 KC @ DEN WIN

15 Dec 14 DEN @ CAR WIN

16 Dec 21 BUF @ DEN WIN

17 Dec 28 DEN @ SD LOSS

BOSSHOGG30
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I will be impressed if we hit the .500 mark or better. I'm thinking 8-8 isn't out of the question, but that is probably our best bet.

Lonestar
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
i think the worst we start out first 7 games is 3-4...at worst!

then after the bye our schedule looks to be alot easier than our first 7 games. but 1-6 is crazy! we might have been a average team last year at 7-9 but i think we have got a lot better and fixed alot of holes.

were in for a much better year than 7-9. I think we go 10-6 barring injury.

DEN @ OAK : WIN

2 Sep 14 SD @ DEN LOSS

3 Sep 21 NO @ DEN WIN

4 Sep 28 DEN @ KC LOSS

5 Oct 05 TB @ DEN WIN

6 Oct 12 JAC @ DEN LOSS

Oct 20 DEN @ NE LOSS

8 Bye

9 Nov 02 MIA @ DEN WIN

10 Nov 06 DEN @ CLE LOSS

11 Nov 16 DEN @ ATL WIN

12 Nov 23 OAK @ DEN WIN

13 Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ WIN

14 Dec 07 KC @ DEN WIN

15 Dec 14 DEN @ CAR WIN

16 Dec 21 BUF @ DEN WIN

17 Dec 28 DEN @ SD LOSS

Hells bells we could go 16-0 if all the planets align and we have No injuries all of our players are what everyone thinks they are and if SAN, INDY, PIT, NE, KC and OAK all do not show to playing the games would face them with this year..

But now lets be realistic.. lets go through your suppositions a little slower.. I think we will have better talent at almost all spots that we had last year. that is to say might be the same person there but because of the upgrades around them they will be better.. We have addressed almost all of the weak spots we had and IF they all play like they could then we are better but in several spots still paper thin past the projected starters most of which except the OLINE are 2-3 year players.... all of them learning and different style of play with new coordinators and quirks..

DEN @ OAK : WIN First game of the year offense is always behind the D at this point especially with the OLINE still trying to get to know each other. We are playing IN OAK this is a loss if tit was at Home a maybe win. LOSS

2 Sep 14 SD @ DEN LOSS not a chance of a win unless they forfeit. LOSS

3 Sep 21 NO @ DEN WIN MSY was one game away from the SB two years ago I see them as being that team.. LOSS

4 Sep 28 DEN @ KC LOSS this is a toss up, but probably a loss just because it is in KC. LOSS

5 Oct 05 TB @ DEN WIN I think this is a loss two great young coaches with similar teams. Our best chance at a win before the bye. Win but a squeaker..

6 Oct 12 JAX @ DEN LOSS No doubt about this one either.. LOSS

Oct 20 DEN @ NE LOSS Does a big black bear crap in the woods. LOSS

8 Bye I agree.. We will need it to regroup after firing slowik for his incompetency in the first 6 weeks.

9 Nov 02 MIA @ DEN WIN should be a win but they are in the same boat we are hungry for a win with a new coach many will look past this game.. Win

10 Nov 06 DEN @ CLE LOSS YEP CLE is an up and comer Loss

11 Nov 16 DEN @ ATL WIN Win

12 Nov 23 OAK @ DEN WIN Win

13 Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ WIN good chance of a Loss

14 Dec 07 KC @ DEN WIN Win

15 Dec 14 DEN @ CAR WIN Do not have a real feel for CAR other than they have Stewart and we do not. Loss

16 Dec 21 BUF @ DEN WIN Buffalo should be a win but could be a loss because of playoff implications for BUF. Win

17 Dec 28 DEN @ SD LOSS I agree we are not yet at their personnel level. LOSS

1-6 maybe 2-5 at the bye
5-4 after the bye

either 7-9 or 8-8 for the year .

This team is to young to be consistent al year with their play.. they will be up one week and down the next..

This is all based at pre TC and preseason games and what I know about all the teams we are playing. AS WE SPEAK.. all of this is IMHO..

Kaylore
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
LOL @ JRWIZ

We're going 11-5, but I also picked us to lose to the Raiders on MNF, so I can't gripe with your loss there. Some of the other ones, like your justification for losing to the Saints at home, are just ridiculous.

underrated29
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
ok so jr is an agent

But..... We will not lose to KC- Even if it is in KC in December. They SUCK!! Big time, They had a great draft, but i think this year they will actually regress a little.

Lonestar
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
LOL @ JRWIZ

We're going 11-5, but I also picked us to lose to the Raiders on MNF, so I can't gripe with your loss there. Some of the other ones, like your justification for losing to the Saints at home, are just ridiculous.

As I said this is from what I see now.. before training camp and preseason although I do not think we can use the preseason games except for the second to last one for much of anything ..

We could be 10-6 real easliy..

But what most folks forget is we were just 4 last second heroic FGs away from being 3-13 last year.. Yes I know that we were also 2 away from being 9-7.. But most of those losses last year were not pretty.. and with out Elam around to save our asses we are gonna have to be a lot better offensively no more automatic FG's inside the 40 we are gonna have to be able to get TD's inside the red zone.. I'm just not convinced that this young team can do that YET.

The NO game could go either way but I think they have more potential of getting to the SB than does DEN.. We will see who called it better at the EOS.

Lonestar
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
ok so jr is an agent

But..... We will not lose to KC- Even if it is in KC in December. They SUCK!! Big time, They had a great draft, but i think this year they will actually regress a little.

We play them late in the year they have just as much chance if not more for their rookies to come on like gang busters.. that late in the year..

There #1 pick the past 5 years have been.

1 27 Larry Johnson RB
nobody
1 15 Derrick Johnson OLB
1 20 Tamba Hali DE
1 23 Dwayne Bowe WR
1 5 Glenn Dorsey DT Louisiana State
1 15 Branden Albert G Virginia
2 35 Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech
3 73 Jamaal Charles RB Texas
3 76 Brad Cottam TE Tennessee
3 82 DaJuan Morgan SAF

Lots of talent to go with TG.. They could surprise a lot of teams this year.. and they just might not but watch out for them in 2009..

omac
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
.. and with out Elam around to save our asses

Please, enough already of this Elam saving our asses; when you get yourself into very makeable FG range, you expect your kicker to make them. If your kicker consistently had to make 55+ yarders for you to win, then yes, he saved your ass, but when he does it in makeable FG range, he just does his job. And Elam did miss some very makeable ones early in some games. I think Elam is a great kicker, but a lot of other starting kickers in the NFL would've made those very makeable ones too.

lex
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Please, enough already of this Elam saving our asses; when you get yourself into very makeable FG range, you expect your kicker to make them. If your kicker consistently had to make 55+ yarders for you to win, then yes, he saved your ass, but when he does it in makeable FG range, he just does his job. And Elam did miss some very makeable ones early in some games. I think Elam is a great kicker, but a lot of other starting kickers in the NFL would've made those very makeable ones too.

I dont know. That game winner vs Buffalo was an all-time gem.

Requiem / The Dagda
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, and for all the good kicks Elam had, he'd pull a boner on the same amount. Leg wasn't kickin' like it really used to. Wasn't trusted in far distances much at all the past few years.

DenBronx
07-02-2008, 07:32 PM
i think last year we could have won 9 games if we hadnt had the all of those injuries. mix that in with the loss of al wilson, new changes and distracting legal issues for henry along with a horrid scheme for the defense and you still muster 7 wins. we also made stupid choices for free agents that really cost us and everyone knows walkers mental state throughout the whole year. jay battled diabetes and lost his touch as the year went on but still managed to do ok. 2 games we should have won was the packers and bears but then again you could make the case that elam could have missed those field goals. hindsight....

ive seen horrible teams make the playoffs the following year just by adding youth in the draft and key free agents. the free agents that i think will be key of success this year will of course be our linebackers, wr's and robertson. if robertson pays off i think our defense is already going to be that much better with thomas going into his 2nd year. my concern is niko and from reports thus far webster seems to be winning the job...not a good thing at all. im pretty impressed with our draft choices though...but like you said jrwiz, this is all pending training camp and preseason.

but i still dont see us doing any worse than last year. not by a long shot.

Lonestar
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
i think last year we could have won 9 games if we hadnt had the all of those injuries. mix that in with the loss of al wilson, new changes and distracting legal issues for henry along with a horrid scheme for the defense and you still muster 7 wins. we also made stupid choices for free agents that really cost us and everyone knows walkers mental state throughout the whole year. jay battled diabetes and lost his touch as the year went on but still managed to do ok. 2 games we should have won was the packers and bears but then again you could make the case that elam could have missed those field goals. hindsight....

ive seen horrible teams make the playoffs the following year just by adding youth in the draft and key free agents. the free agents that i think will be key of success this year will of course be our linebackers, wr's and robertson. if robertson pays off i think our defense is already going to be that much better with thomas going into his 2nd year. my concern is niko and from reports thus far webster seems to be winning the job...not a good thing at all. im pretty impressed with our draft choices though...but like you said jrwiz, this is all pending training camp and preseason.

but i still dont see us doing any worse than last year. not by a long shot.

so which teams are going to beat us by 38 points in a game.. For all the close games there were the real stinkers ..

Last years team was not a s good as alot of folks want to really believe. just like we were all fooled into believing the team that went 13-3 in 2005 was a few players away from going to the super bowl..

plugging alot of holes with 4th through 7 rounders are not going to be the salvation of this team.. Might get them a bit closer.. But realistically the only player drafted the has any hope of seeing meaningful playing time is clady and that is because we got no one else to fill the hole..

If all of the players drafted make this team this year that frankly just shows how far down this team was.. To top it off coupled with the draft choices form 2006-07 that just means we have 20+% of the team as near rookies.. Very few teams consistently win with those kinda numbers. Let alone go to the Superbowl..

IMO we will be hard pressed to break even this year with a decent chance of going the distance 2009-12. These kids need time in the saddle.. and time for SAN to self destruct.. Although they have a pretty good GM out tehre now so we may have to do it teh old fashion way beat them on the field..

I do not think any sane person on this or many other forums thinks that this team can go toe to toe with SAN and win consistently..

Lonestar
07-03-2008, 02:03 AM

Look I respect most of your posts.

But the fact is Elam has saved mikeys bacon for nigh on a decade now..

Ever since we lost that Superbowl OLINE and TD this team has been a shadow of its self.. poorti$$ was a brief respite. but we simply have not dominated any teams since..

No one has lived in fear of our running game especially not inside the red zone.. And that my friend is where the rubber hits the road..

All of the bull shit hype of being the best running team since mikey has come to town means NADA.. sure we Can run all day long between the 20's and then most of the time had to settle for a FG. Because he knew that inside the 40 Elam was money..

Well now we do not have that golden toe any more..

Perhaps he will be more inventive play calling wise.

Perhaps we now have the players to make it happen inside the 5.

But until we can dominate in the running game inside the red zone, it remains we are all resting on the hopes of a rookie FG kicker.

I personally do not think I'd place money on it happening..

Npba900
07-03-2008, 04:55 AM
LOL @ JRWIZ

We were also predicted to go 11-5 in 06 and 07 as well. Not that in 08 Denver can't go 11-5, however, I don't think its going to happen. It's better to go into the season with realistic aspirations rather than reaching, wishing and hoping.

Right now, Denver has too many un-knowns starting with O-Line, then the skill positions of RB and WR have not been answered. I just don't want to see Cutler getting crushed and destroyed (season ending injury) this year.

Then Denver's D-line can't put consistent pressure on the QB and the D can't stop the run consistently. So no! I don't believe going 11-5 is going to happen in 2008, if we do it great....but not very likely.

I predict 6-10 to 9-7 in 2008 and thats w/o injuries to key starters on both sides of the ball. I think 11-5 to 13-3 is possible in 2009.

Npba900
07-03-2008, 04:57 AM

Ever since we lost that Superbowl OLINE and TD this team has been a shadow of its self.. poorti$$ was a brief respite. but we simply have not dominated any teams since..

No one has lived in fear of our running game especially not inside the red zone.. And that my friend is where the rubber hits the road..

All of the bull shit hype of being the best running team since mikey has come to town means NADA.. sure we Can run all day long between the 20's and then most of the time had to settle for a FG. Because he knew that inside the 40 Elam was money..

But until we can dominate in the running game inside the red zone, it remains we are all resting on the hopes of a rookie FG kicker.

Thanks for being realistic!!

Traveler
07-03-2008, 07:36 AM
We were also predicted to go 11-5 in 06 and 07 as well. Not that in 08 Denver can't go 11-5, however, I don't think its going to happen. It's better to go into the season with realistic aspirations rather than reaching, wishing and hoping.

Right now, Denver has too many un-knowns starting with O-Line, then the skill positions of RB and WR have not been answered. I just don't want to see Cutler getting crushed and destroyed (season ending injury) this year.

Then Denver's D-line can't put consistent pressure on the QB and the D can't stop the run consistently. So no! I don't believe going 11-5 is going to happen in 2008, if we do it great....but not very likely.

I predict 6-10 to 9-7 in 2008 and thats w/o injuries to key starters on both sides of the ball. I think 11-5 to 13-3 is possible in 2009.

With all the youth now on the team, I personally look for the team to make it's biggest splash in 2010. My hope is that we've seen the last of street FA's and players past their prime having starting roles on this team.

We've been a mediocre team simply because we've had mediocre or below average players as starters, especially along the interiors of both lines.

Until we address our deficiencies at MLB, DT, S and RB, I still see us being a middle of the pack franchise.

omac
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks, I appreciate that. :cheers:

These are Denver's ranks in scoring from 1997 to 2007.

1997 #1, 1998 #2, 1999 #18, 2000 #2, 2001 #10, 2002 #7, 2003 #10, 2004 #9, 2005 #7, 2006 #17, 2007 #21

Only thrice during that period has Denver not been in the top 10 in scoring.

Next is Denver's rank in TDs from 1997 to 2007.

1997 #1, 1998 #2, 1999 #21, 2000 #2, 2001 #13, 2002 #6, 2003 #10, 2004 #10, 2005 #5, 2006 #18, 2007 #20

You'll notice that the rank in scoring is very congruent to the rank in TDs, meaning it's the TDs that determine our scoring rank, not the FGs, and for the most part of the decade, the Broncos have been scoring pretty well.

So, no, Elam has not been saving Mikey's bacon for nigh a decade now, and everyone can see that.

Well, you can compare teams in the modern era and most will not compare to that Broncos team. That Broncos team would probably be favorites over eventual superbowl champs like Tampa, St. Louis, Baltimore, New York, and probably even Indy. The only team that could match up well with them is NE.

But then again, that team was assembled in a different time. Teams, as a whole, were much stronger then. That team was from the era of GB, Dallas, SF. I believe the Broncos were even penalized in a draft because of how they acquired some players, or something like that.(?)

That Bronco team was the last great team from that era.

Actually, it was only as recent as 2005 when the Broncos were 3rd in the league in rushing TDs with 25, and I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that majority of those came from the red zone.

So again, no, it wasn't just Elam; far, far from it.

The Broncos have had excellence in rushing the ball and scoring for majority of the decade. Eventually, age and injuries catch up to players, and this was very, very evident in our OL last season, where 40% of our staring OL was out with injuries, and our usually dependent LT was playing way below his usual level.

Elam is a great kicker, but to say that he was saving Mikey's ass for the majority of the decade is just way off. Unless our ranking was based mostly on FGs as opposed to TDs, then no, Elam wasn't saving Mikey's ass.

We now have a lot of youth in our OL, as well as our whole team. This could become the next excellent Broncos line. I'm not convinced of Selvin Young as the back we need, but hopefully, he'll prove me wrong. If not, we will find another RB to be effective for us, just like our combination of not elite players like Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell combined for 20 or our 25 rushing TDs in 2005.

Cheers man, the future looks real good. :cheers:

Lonestar
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that. :cheers:

These are Denver's ranks in scoring from 1997 to 2007.

1997 #1, 1998 #2, 1999 #18, 2000 #2, 2001 #10, 2002 #7, 2003 #10, 2004 #9, 2005 #7, 2006 #17, 2007 #21

Only thrice during that period has Denver not been in the top 10 in scoring.

Next is Denver's rank in TDs from 1997 to 2007.

1997 #1, 1998 #2, 1999 #21, 2000 #2, 2001 #13, 2002 #6, 2003 #10, 2004 #10, 2005 #5, 2006 #18, 2007 #20

You'll notice that the rank in scoring is very congruent to the rank in TDs, meaning it's the TDs that determine our scoring rank, not the FGs, and for the most part of the decade, the Broncos have been scoring pretty well.

So, no, Elam has not been saving Mikey's bacon for nigh a decade now, and everyone can see that.

Well, you can compare teams in the modern era and most will not compare to that Broncos team. That Broncos team would probably be favorites over eventual superbowl champs like Tampa, St. Louis, Baltimore, New York, and probably even Indy. The only team that could match up well with them is NE.

But then again, that team was assembled in a different time. Teams, as a whole, were much stronger then. That team was from the era of GB, Dallas, SF. I believe the Broncos were even penalized in a draft because of how they acquired some players, or something like that.(?)

That Bronco team was the last great team from that era.

Actually, it was only as recent as 2005 when the Broncos were 3rd in the league in rushing TDs with 25, and I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that majority of those came from the red zone.

So again, no, it wasn't just Elam; far, far from it.

The Broncos have had excellence in rushing the ball and scoring for majority of the decade. Eventually, age and injuries catch up to players, and this was very, very evident in our OL last season, where 40% of our staring OL was out with injuries, and our usually dependent LT was playing way below his usual level.

Elam is a great kicker, but to say that he was saving Mikey's ass for the majority of the decade is just way off. Unless our ranking was based mostly on FGs as opposed to TDs, then no, Elam wasn't saving Mikey's ass.

We now have a lot of youth in our OL, as well as our whole team. This could become the next excellent Broncos line. I'm not convinced of Selvin Young as the back we need, but hopefully, he'll prove me wrong. If not, we will find another RB to be effective for us, just like our combination of not elite players like Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell combined for 20 or our 25 rushing TDs in 2005.

Cheers man, the future looks real good. :cheers:

Well we will have to agree to disagree about Elam cause I know how many close games he won for mikey and for the most part was worth the money he earned as compared to the MA and prices IMO.

His deficiency of not being able to kickoff and the necessity of having to carry another body just to do that hurt his stature..

High scoring IMO is not the critical issue here is it not being able to score deep in the red zone or the red zone in particular.. that is why Elam is the leader in scoring as a kicker the ability to be money inside the 40..

Got to run..

omac
07-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Elam was a great, money kicker, but it was Mikey who put his teams in a position to win. Losing a clutch kicker is not what will determine the season; it's whether or not our defense will continue to hemorrhage rushing yards and points, and how quickly our young OL will mesh as a unit.

We were effective in red zone rushing TDs as recently as 2005, not coincidentally, it's also the last time we had an experienced, healthy OL.

Our new OL looks pretty promising, though I doubt we have anyone who can replace Nalen's strength at center.

With our DL, I've read somewhere that Marcus Thomas has the talent to be very much like Warren Sapp. Now that sounds pretty good. :cheers: