PDA

View Full Version : Training Staff..Whats the deal?

Tebow4Ever
08-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I am just going on a whim here. It seems like injuries have really been an issue for the broncos these few last years. in '08 when we had the string of RB's go down. "Nagging" Injuries, and now we have Moreno, Buckhalter, and Doom is out today for what is possibly being called a "Stinger" to the upper chest/shoulder area. Is anyone else of the belief that maybe our trainers are not as prepared or whatever the proper word may be, as they should be? I was at training camp Sunday, and was talking with several others that agreed Denver seems to have injuries pretty frequently.

Now dont everyone go and throw me off the cliff for this, as I know teams around the NFL are having to deal with some major injuries early on in camp...

I just think we get our asses kicked more with injuries then we probably should. Thoughts?

Lonestar
08-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Football is a violent game. Things happen the muscles and tendons can only by built up and strech so far then they let go.

The groins of a few years ago thatwas obviously a weak point that seems to have been fixed.

Dooms stinger that happens when you pinch nerves,while doing an unatural act.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

underrated29
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
There is nothing the training staff can do to prevent the injuries, they are there to rehab them fast.

The players need to stretch and such. It is not greeks fault that doom pulled the pec, or knowshon pulled the hammy. The players know they should stretch and warm up and they know how to do it.

IMO it is just bad luck.

BroncoWave
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Denver was one of the most healthy teams in the NFL last year, so I really don't think you can blame the trainers for what's happening this year.

honz
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I can't believe we are the only team dealing with TC injuries.

Jagsbch
08-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Injury bug wide spread across the league not just Denver (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162405)

silkamilkamonico
08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I am just going on a whim here. It seems like injuries have really been an issue for the broncos these few last years. in '08 when we had the string of RB's go down.

Have you just been a fan since 2008? Injuries and a very questionable training staff, has plagued the Broncos since early 2000's.

We were so thin at WR one year that Rod Smith caught over 100 passes on 2 sprained ankles, starting along side Charlie Adams who barely made it through TC.

silkamilkamonico
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

LMAO Hardly. You think we have it bad, look at Philly.

BigDaddyBronco
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
They should quit lifting and go with yoga and pilates.

Jagsbch
08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXCTL7Q5XOp270GENWnVkfq_4rkcwAG l0ZT31SYhSvnty5xjQ&t=1&usg=__1N6yb4LyGroRHp-TRdyWxaeBwOI=http://www.powerbalanceperformance.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SiliconePowerBalanceBlack.jpg

Athletes swear it makes them stronger, leaner and faster.:D:D

honz
08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't believe how stupid some people think I am. It makes me feel bad.

Jagsbch
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Sarcasm is so hard relate on the www:D

BroncoWave
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I can't believe how stupid some people think I am. It makes me feel bad.

Honz, it's a shame that you didn't win "master baiter" in the BF awards. I think I am the only person who recognizes your particular genius!

G_Money
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
There is nothing the training staff can do to prevent the injuries, they are there to rehab them fast.

The players need to stretch and such. It is not greeks fault that doom pulled the pec, or knowshon pulled the hammy. The players know they should stretch and warm up and they know how to do it.

IMO it is just bad luck.

Um...it absolutely is Greek's fault. It's his job to have them ready through the offseason program so that they DON'T all get injured the second they step on a field. That's what happens when you are not properly warmed up, stretched out and in the proper condition, ALL of which are done under his supervision and direction.

Doom is a 50 million dollar investment. In no universe do you say, "Hey, 50 million dollar investment, I'm sure you know how to properly take care of yourself to avoid injury even though you didn't go to school for it like I did or have decades of experience at it like I do. Good luck and call me when you tear something." :tsk:

Bad luck will happen. A guy will step wrong and injure himself or another guy will fall into him (see: TD and Lepsis :mad:) but for pure injury that occurs without contact the rate should be VERY low. It's not.

So yes, some people on the training staff are not properly doing their jobs. Prehab was a verb created for a reason, and we're not that good at it. The fact that some other teams aren't either is no excuse.

We can and should be better. I don't know whether it's the drills we're running or the amount of stretching or the workout regimens we're mandating. I'd look at all of it. If we are THEN satisfied that "there's nothing we can do, they were all freak accidents" then so be it. I'd argue the point still, but at least the effort was made.

Hopefully the staff isn't shrugging their shoulders and saying, "hey, we're not the only ones." That's a good way to suck really fast.

~G

BroncoWave
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Um...it absolutely is Greek's fault. It's his job to have them ready through the offseason program so that they DON'T all get injured the second they step on a field. That's what happens when you are not properly warmed up, stretched out and in the proper condition, ALL of which are done under his supervision and direction.

Doom is a 50 million dollar investment. In no universe do you say, "Hey, 50 million dollar investment, I'm sure you know how to properly take care of yourself to avoid injury even though you didn't go to school for it like I did or have decades of experience at it like I do. Good luck and call me when you tear something." :tsk:

Bad luck will happen. A guy will step wrong and injure himself or another guy will fall into him (see: TD and Lepsis :mad:) but for pure injury that occurs without contact the rate should be VERY low. It's not.

So yes, some people on the training staff are not properly doing their jobs. Prehab was a verb created for a reason, and we're not that good at it. The fact that some other teams aren't either is no excuse.

We can and should be better. I don't know whether it's the drills we're running or the amount of stretching or the workout regimens we're mandating. I'd look at all of it. If we are THEN satisfied that "there's nothing we can do, they were all freak accidents" then so be it. I'd argue the point still, but at least the effort was made.

Hopefully the staff isn't shrugging their shoulders and saying, "hey, we're not the only ones." That's a good way to suck really fast.

~G

Dude, we've had 3 injuries in 4 days of camp, 2 of which will be healed by the time the season starts. It sucks that the major one had to happen to Doom, but that's not an indictment on our training staff.

Remember last season when we were one of the healthiest teams in the league? Guess not.

Shit happens, and every team has injuries in camp. Just bad luck that it had to happen to Doom.

BroncoWave
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Do you have any proof of this claim or are you just pulling it out of your ass? My guess is pulling it out of your ass. Unless you have some inside look at what our training staff does, you really have no place to say what they are doing wrong.

BORDERLINE
08-05-2010, 02:40 PM
That's what happens when you are not properly warmed up, stretched out and in the proper condition

~G

I agree with a good portion of your post....but it's also the players fault if he isn't warmed up...if your on the sidelines cooled off and all of assuden your number gets called, you better be ready ...i see players all the time on stationary bikes staying warm during games and practices...i'm not saying i want to see a tour de france on the sidelines but theres got to be ways of staying at 100% without wearing out

G_Money
08-05-2010, 03:06 PM
BTB,

I worked in the field for quite a number of years. I worked with trainers and physical therapists, and on world class athletes. I was friends and colleagues with several people who did the same.

I'm not whipping this opinion out of my ass. We're not protecting our assets the way we should. No, I have not been to camp this year to see what we are doing differently in the past, which is why I'm not proclaiming some change in methodology. But hamstring injuries are a product of training, and can become recurring very easily. Pec rips are hard to do - they aren't exactly sprained ankles. Both injuries tend to happen when someone is not properly prepared to perform (or overtrains).

Neither is something I would shrug about, as an earlier poster did. As fans, we can afford to do that. I'm hoping that our staff is focusing on the problem.

Borderline,

Yes, the athlete has to do what the training staff tells them to do, which includes staying warm and loose and not tightening up due to lack of preparedness. Some times it doesn't matter. When Moreno damaged his MCL last year, well, there's not a lot a trainer or an athlete can do about that. Hamstrings are a different matter, and yes both sides need to do their part.

~G