PDA

View Full Version : If my Penguins could do it so can our Broncos!

East Coast Fan
06-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Just got to thinking about how my Pittsburgh Penguins improved dramatically and went all the way to the Cup Finals after not being there since 1992, and how it "rekindled" my fondness for them and reminded me of those great teams in the early '90's. How nice it would be for our Broncos to do the same thing and "rekindle" that passionate feeling that I had for them in the late '90's, mid 80's and ESPECIALLY '77. I hope that they are on the right track and get "rebuilt" soon and start the climb to becoming a force again; if my Pens can do it so can the Broncs.

Just my offseason :2cents: :D

MOtorboat
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
You mean lose in the Super Bowl....again...:noidea::D

Go Broncos!

silkamilkamonico
06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
NFL is a lot more predictable than NHL.

But I have been trying to think of the last team to go from no playoffs to SuperBowl.

Medford Bronco
06-29-2008, 07:57 PM

But I have been trying to think of the last team to go from no playoffs to SuperBowl.

Panthers in 2003?

Scarface
06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
The Broncos will never be as boring as the NHL.

BOSSHOGG30
06-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Just got to thinking about how my Pittsburgh Penguins improved dramatically and went all the way to the Cup Finals after not being there since 1992, and how it "rekindled" my fondness for them and reminded me of those great teams in the early '90's. How nice it would be for our Broncos to do the same thing and "rekindle" that passionate feeling that I had for them in the late '90's, mid 80's and ESPECIALLY '77. I hope that they are on the right track and get "rebuilt" soon and start the climb to becoming a force again; if my Pens can do it so can the Broncs.

Just my offseason :2cents: :D

Don't want to be too negative, because I know you are only looking to provide hope... but unlike the Penguins who only have to place 5 skaters on the ice, football is different... you have to have 11... it's a little bit harder to build a championship football team... Plus the Penguins have been so bad the past 10 years they are stock piled with very high 1st round picks. (see the Chargers for a NFL comparison)... so basically the Penguins comparison more represents the Chargers if you ask me... not the Denver Broncos.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Completely different game, completely different scenarios for rebuilding.

LoyalSoldier
06-30-2008, 12:54 AM

Panthers 2003

Saints 2006 went from 3-13 to NFC Championship.

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Well, I have to say that watching them get pounded twice by the Chargers last season didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat... :lol:

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't want to be too negative, because I know you are only looking to provide hope... but unlike the Penguins who only have to place 5 skaters on the ice, football is different... you have to have 11... it's a little bit harder to build a championship football team... Plus the Penguins have been so bad the past 10 years they are stock piled with very high 1st round picks. (see the Chargers for a NFL comparison)... so basically the Penguins comparison more represents the Chargers if you ask me... not the Denver Broncos.

Yes, I'm only trying to provide hope and am not comparing them to the Penguins. Just saying that two teams that I care deeply about would do me nothing but good to see them return to their "glory days". The Pens have and their future looks pretty bright; not so sure about Denver except for some good young talent (and veteran talent). I guess that I've been watching a lot of the old games on DVD, and want to get that "feeling" about them now like I had years ago. Guess you can call it "Orange Crush" disease because those of us who were fans in the late 70's know what I mean by that "feeling". :D

underrated29
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
hockey is not boring in the least. Besides football there is no other sport thats nearly as exciting.

I see your point ecf. We just need those touchdowns that we didnt get last year. If we do we could easily pull a penguins type run. Down one minute right back in the mix the next.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Football is fun to watch on TV and live.... Hockey is much better live, can't really get into it on TV. The camera's never catch the good stuff. I think they are afraid to put it on TV because of the whole family enviroment thing.

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
We just need those touchdowns that we didnt get last year.

And stop the #@%# RUN!!!! :lol:

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 02:56 PM
We need Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin

Buff
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM

Sorry Silk, I don't buy that...

I'd argue the opposite... In fact, the NHL essentially just adopted the NFL's model a couple years ago to try to create more parity. Before that, there was no salary cap and teams like Detroit, Dallas, New Jersey and Colorado were constant fixtures in the conference finals...

They're slowly leveling the playing field, but still a few years off from true balance... Which is why you saw another Dallas vs. Detroit Conference finals...

The NFL is the model for parity and unpredictability...

underrated29
06-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Football is fun to watch on TV and live.... Hockey is much better live, can't really get into it on TV. The camera's never catch the good stuff. I think they are afraid to put it on TV because of the whole family enviroment thing.

You could be right about the family thing. I hate it when there is a fight going and the camera zooms in to watch the players go to the bench then go to the fight.

We want to see the freaking fights! The crowd loves it. The fans love it. And it gets your team a momentum swing if your guy wins. Dont show the freaking skaters going off on a line change.

But with the new rules, i thik hockey is becoming even more exciting as you can see the awesome skills some of these players have, who before couldnt really showcase them because of the slashing,hooking etc.

Sorry off topic.....ugh what was the topic again??

Go broncos.:confused:

pnbronco
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
I find hockey really exciting and I can't take my off a game while it's going either live or on TV. When I do I hate hearing "and he scoressss", just hate it. So I understand what you are saying ECF. You love both these teams and have hung in there while they have struggled. You hope that the Broncos are building a strong team again and can have a solid team like your Pens. We all do. (Just as a side note I was at the Charger game last year and when I heard the Avs scored more than the Broncos that day, it made a really miserable day just a little lower. :laugh:)

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 06:30 PM
So I understand what you are saying ECF. You love both these teams and have hung in there while they have struggled. You hope that the Broncos are building a strong team again and can have a solid team like your Pens. We all do. (Just as a side note I was at the Charger game last year and when I heard the Avs scored more than the Broncos that day, it made a really miserable day just a little lower. :laugh:)

Exactly; I watch the DVD's from the Magical season of 1977 and I get that "proud" feeling about the team and all of these Bronco memories come back to me. Then I think "how long will it be until I feel that way again" about this current team that as one football publication says "really doesn't seem to have a plan". Sure, we were in the AFC Championship game a few years back, but last year it just fell apart; watching the home game vs. the Chargers I sat there emotionless as we got our asses kicked what was it 46-3? The Penguins were THE worst team in hockey 3 years ago, but for some reason they gave me more hope and excitement than the Broncos do lately. I'm just hoping that we can build and at least show some signs of life this season. It'll take a few years but we can get back to a high level of consistent play again. It's not going to happen overnight, and we need to build the "foundation" and build upon that. I just wanna see 'em do good...

topscribe
06-30-2008, 08:08 PM

I don't think hockey is boring. :noidea:

-----

BroncoFanatic
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I miss the good old days when the NHL had a broadcast contract with E!SPN. Sunday afternoons you'd get 2 NFL games, and if you were lucky also 3 NHL games all on at the same time.

Channel flippin heaven! (Unless the Broncos are on, then no flippin ;) )