View Full Version : 13 Broncos miss morning practice

Lonestar
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
13 Broncos miss morning practice
By Shemar Woods
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/04/2010 09:56:41 AM MDT
UPDATED: 08/04/2010 12:35:20 PM MDT

In front of a small crowd, 13 Broncos did not practice this morning on Day 4 of full-squad workouts.

That number may be reduced to 12, according to coach Josh McDaniels, who said defensive linemen Jamal Williams is likely to practice with the team Thursday for the first time.

"He's getting closer," McDaniels said after this morning's practice. "And hopefully tomorrow might be D-Day for that. We're excited about and I think he is too. I don't want to put any guarantee on that, but it's definitely getting closer."

The better portion of the morning practice was dedicated to the two-minute drill and red-zone offense. Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn handled most of the reps, while Tim Tebow threw to teammates 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Orton's two-minute drill resulted in a field goal, while Quinn led a drive that ended in a punt. Tebow got his only two reps in a seven-on-seven red-zone session with the ball marked at the 15-yard line. He threw one ball out of bounds and had his other pass deflected.

"That's what camp is for, to get those mistakes out," Orton said. "You certainly don't want bad plays or turnovers or incomplete passes. But sometimes it's better to come up now so you can talk about it in the film room and come back and make the adjustment and hopefully don't make it again."

Multiple offensive miscues were caused by defensive backs Andre Goodman and Perrish Cox, who both recorded red-zone interceptions. Cox, a rookie from Oklahoma State, said he has been picking the brain of Champ Bailey and Goodman since arriving in Denver, and Cox applied what he learned to intercept two passes.

""Champ knows everything from the small things to the big things,"" Cox said. ""As far as technique-wise, as far as what to look for in this formation or that formation. I go to Champ for everything.""

An offensive line battle is brewing between D"Anthony Batiste and Tyler Polumbus at left tackle. Batiste received the majority of the reps with the first team today, although the the depth chart is not set.

"Nobody is guaranteed anything," McDaniels said. "We know that. We tell all our players that. You'll see that probably quite frequently during camp."

Veterans Bailey, Brian Dawkins and Brandon Stokley were given off the morning and are likely to participate in this evening's practice.

Wide receiver Kenny McKinley didn't practice after limping off the field during Tuesday's session.

Defensive lineman Chris Baker hasn't practiced since Sunday morning, when he walked off the field during sprints after suffering from heat exhaustion. Linebacker D.J. Williams, who has missed three full practices since Sunday morning, remains out with an undisclosed injury. Safety Josh Barrett is also out with an undisclosed injury.

Linebacker Joe Mays, acquired from the Eagles on Saturday, is recovering from an ankle injury.

As expected, running backs Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter were not on the field. Buckhalter, who sustained a back injury, is expected to return to practice as early as Monday, while Moreno is out indefinitely due to a hamstring injury. In Moreno and Buckhalter's absence, the offense ran a lot of single back formations with Bruce Hall in the backfield.

"I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity to get better an earn a spot on this team," Hall said. "I'm trying to find my niche right now. It's a steadily developing role."

This evening's practice is scheduled from 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Shemar Woods: 303-954-1609 or swoods@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15675591

DenBronx
08-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Really? That sucks because we're going to be on NFL network today with an exclusive look into our training camp. Would have liked to see more guys practicing.

LordTrychon
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it's good for Bailey to sit out some... gives some younger guys a chance... on both sides of the ball. :lol:

Wonder what's up with DJ.