PDA

View Full Version : The sleeper! Roderick Rogers

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.-- Second-year safety Roderick Rogers knows he has what it takes.

As a rookie, Rogers spent most of the season on the Broncos' practice squad, helping the team prepare for tough matchups and practicing day in and day out with the club.

Then came December 18th, 2007, when Rogers was signed to the active roster. After a week of practice, he got ready to play in his first game as a professional.

Rogers made his NFL debut under the bright lights of Monday Night Football in a game against division rival San Diego. Rogers played on special teams, and followed up that performance by contributing on special teams in the final game of the season, as well.

Rogers said being a part of the last two games of the 2007 season has helped him immensely in preparing for 2008.

"You get to learn that you can play with those guys," Rogers said. "I realize that I know the speed of the game now, I know what it's going to take, so I've got to go out there and do whatever I can to get better and prepare."

And that's exactly what he has been doing this offseason. Throughout OTAs, Rogers has practiced with fellow defensive backs, learning schemes from defensive coordinator Bob Slowik and trying to make a name for himself in a crowded secondary.

During the summer, the team brought in two veteran safeties -- Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree. Rogers said that is something he has used to his advantage. He knows they are part of his competition for a roster spot, but learning from veteran safeties like Manuel, McCree and John Lynch is something Rogers said is invaluable.

"Those guys, they've been there for a while, they know the ins and outs of the game," he said. "Any tips they can give you are always helpful."

Rogers said he has taken their advice to heart, watching the veterans during practice, learning new techniques and adapting them to his own style of play. Sometimes drills run smoothly, sometimes they don't. The offseason camps haven't been perfect, the second-year safety said, but that's the idea.

"Of course you're going to make mistakes, but that's what this camp is for -- you make your mistakes there, you learn from them and fall comes in and you've eliminated most of those mistakes."

So while this season's OTAs had a slightly different feel for Rogers -- knowing he has what it takes to make it in the NFL -- he said he won't lose the drive that got him to where he is in the first place.

"My mindset is I'm still a rookie coming in, and I've got to prove myself just like every guy has to prove himself," he said.

"You never lose that fight."

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Anyone high on Rogers?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I totally forgot about him. Had it not been for his injury he'd of been drafted in the mid-rounds easily. Let's hope he'll come in and contribute; I think he has starting potential.

MHCBill
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone high on Rogers?Yes... I am.

I only hope he gets a shot.

I hate keeping old guys around so you can't find out if the young guys can play.

Screw McCree and Manuel.

GEM
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Rogers Uses Badger Experience To Help Him Out
Free CBS4 Broncos Insiders text alerts -- text broncos to 66247
by Andrew Mason, DenverBroncos.com
DENVER (CBS4/DenverBroncos.com) ― Roderick Rogers had a choice after the draft -- to sign with the Denver Broncos or the Arizona Cardinals. But when the safety arrived at Dove Valley in May straight from the shores of Lake Monona near the University of Wisconsin, Rogers' choices evaporated.

When it came to jersey numbers, Rogers had to take No. 43. Almost every other number available for a defensive back was already claimed.

"I'm so happy to be out here, I'll take anything," he said. "There wasn't much of a choice, but 43 is what I've got to make do with."

When Rogers donned the jersey for the first time in May, he had to hustle to the field. He spent the first week of organized team activities buried in final exams at Wisconsin. By the time he was able to take the field, the Broncos were already three days into quarterback camp, forcing Rogers to make up for lost repetitions.

"I didn't get a playbook before I got here. I basically had to come in and learn everything on the run," he said. "I was lost the first day. I was basically playing backyard football, trying to do what I could do. But as the day went on, I get better at it."

Returning to practice was also crucial for Rogers, who sprained a medial collateral ligament during Wisconsin's Capital One Bowl win on New Year's Day. The injury might have kept his name from being called during draft weekend.

"I expected to be drafted, but things didn't work out the way I wanted them to," he said. "I can't really complain."

Rogers said that the Cardinals and Broncos expressed the most interest in signing him after the draft's conclusion, but a number of factors drew him to Denver, chief among them being similiarities between the Badgers' and Broncos' defensive schemes.

"I'm using a lot of what I learned up there (at Wisconsin)," Rogers said. "A lot of it has a different name, but it's the same thing."

But not everything is the same, and Rogers could be asked to fill in anywhere in the secondary. While his background is at safety, he also took part in cornerback drills during the team camp that concluded on June 7.

"The biggest thing I learned is to know what you're doing," Rogers said. "If you don't know what you're doing, you're not going to be able to make plays or play for the team. It's getting into the playbook every week and reading it every night -- whatever you've got to do to get mental reps and keep it in your mind."

And choosing to study is an option Rogers will always take -- since he knows it increases his chances of making Denver a permanent home.

"I just want to play as hard as I can just to stay," he said.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Roderick.Rogers.University.2.559995.html

Sounds like a good kid. I'm with Bill here, I'd rather our younger guys get the go. Then we can use draft picks on things of real need. There's a reason those older guys got cut from their last team.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Playing younger players is ideal if they've proven they're ready to play in the NFL. I think Rogers could be a fine safety, but to give him the job and want him to start just because he's younger is a really poor reason. McCree and Manuel are veterans and their presence should be welcomed. Unless Rogers proves he can play better than McCree (etc.), he doesn't deserve to play ahead of him. I'm all for getting younger players playing experience, but at the expense of veteran leadership, field savvy and overall playing abilities -- not in the least.

Safety is a position we'll more than likely have to upgrade with a high draft pick at the end of this season. Unless Barrett surprises (hopefully) -- our roster at the position is basically lined up with one-year rentals, and John Lynch -- who will retire after this season. Safety, depth and future starters at the position is quite possibly the biggest need facing this team. There's a reason we brought in quite a few players at the position; and that speaks a lot more than the preconcieved notion as to why those players were let go from their teams.

Neither of those veterans are bad players; and they've proven a lot more on the field than Rogers. As I said, Rogers needs to prove himself before he goes out there and gets the job. Same should be said for anyone at any position.

GEM
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Playing younger players is ideal if they've proven they're ready to play in the NFL. I think Rogers could be a fine safety, but to give him the job and want him to start just because he's younger is a really poor reason. McCree and Manuel are veterans and their presence should be welcomed. Unless Rogers proves he can play better than McCree (etc.), he doesn't deserve to play ahead of him. I'm all for getting younger players playing experience, but at the expense of veteran leadership, field savvy and overall playing abilities -- not in the least.

Safety is a position we'll more than likely have to upgrade with a high draft pick at the end of this season. Unless Barrett surprises (hopefully) -- our roster at the position is basically lined up with one-year rentals, and John Lynch -- who will retire after this season. Safety, depth and future starters at the position is quite possibly the biggest need facing this team. There's a reason we brought in quite a few players at the position; and that speaks a lot more than the preconcieved notion as to why those players were let go from their teams.

Neither of those veterans are bad players; and they've proven a lot more on the field than Rogers. As I said, Rogers needs to prove himself before he goes out there and gets the job. Same should be said for anyone at any position.

I think that was all a given. Us bringing them in had nothing to do with them being let go by their old teams. They weren't cutting it on the other teams. Isn't Weddle (2nd year player) in McCrees place? Of course they have to earn the spot, but if they can do that and have those vets on short term deals, I'm all for that rather than long term on the old guys and letting the younger guys go elsewhere. I wasn't exactly talking right here, right now.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I think that was all a given. Us bringing them in had nothing to do with them being let go by their old teams.

Us bringing them in had to do with the lack of quality players we had at the position. Obviously.

They weren't cutting it on the other teams. Isn't Weddle (2nd year player) in McCrees place?

To say a player like Marlon McCree wasn't cutting it in San Diego would just be a flat out lie. He's 31 years old (probably the main reason he was let go, perhaps salary as well), and it's obvious that when San Diego invested a myriad of draft picks into getting Weddle; that he'd be starting sooner than later. The decision to get rid of McCree isn't based on his lack of play, but a significant investment the team made in Weddle; which was a very, very highly debated one to begin with.

Of course they have to earn the spot, but if they can do that and have those vets on short term deals, I'm all for that rather than long term on the old guys and letting the younger guys go elsewhere.

Did you feel the same way when Rod Smith was playing like crap and we had younger wide receivers buried underneath him on the roster, but he got the nod because he had "been" there before? Just curious.

I wasn't exactly talking right here, right now.

Well, you agreed with Bill who if I remember said, "Screw McCree and Manuel." -- so I just put 2 and 2 together. *shrug*

I hope Rogers plays well, I hope he plays well enough to give us a safety who has good coverage skills at the FS position. I hope he can prove himself enough to ensure long-term stability at the position. Until he does so, the veterans are going to get precedence over him.

We wouldn't be in this pickle if Denver didn't undervalue drafting at the safety position; we've passed up good players for far too long -- and I'm confident that in 2009; we won't make the same mistakes we have since Shanahan's tenure in Denver regarding that position.

GEM
06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Us bringing them in had to do with the lack of quality players we had at the position. Obviously.

To say a player like Marlon McCree wasn't cutting it in San Diego would just be a flat out lie. He's 31 years old (probably the main reason he was let go, perhaps salary as well), and it's obvious that when San Diego invested a myriad of draft picks into getting Weddle; that he'd be starting sooner than later. The decision to get rid of McCree isn't based on his lack of play, but a significant investment the team made in Weddle; which was a very, very highly debated one to begin with.

Did you feel the same way when Rod Smith was playing like crap and we had younger wide receivers buried underneath him on the roster, but he got the nod because he had "been" there before? Just curious.

Well, you agreed with Bill who if I remember said, "Screw McCree and Manuel." -- so I just put 2 and 2 together. *shrug*

I hope Rogers plays well, I hope he plays well enough to give us a safety who has good coverage skills at the FS position. I hope he can prove himself enough to ensure long-term stability at the position. Until he does so, the veterans are going to get precedence over him.

We wouldn't be in this pickle if Denver didn't undervalue drafting at the safety position; we've passed up good players for far too long -- and I'm confident that in 2009; we won't make the same mistakes we have since Shanahan's tenure in Denver regarding that position.

Honestly....I hadn't followed it until Boss posted this. I then did a search on Mr. Rogers. ;) I was saying it based on my own readings. I was agreeing with Bill in regards to the younger guys getting a shot, not the older guys suck. Geez, I wasn't looking for a debate Chris, I was simply stating it would be nice if we could get the safety position younger. :tsk: If the kid can prove he can play, I'd much rather pay him than a 31 year old who was released from a different team. Is that so bad? :shrugs:

topscribe
06-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Rogers is one guy I really, really hope has some safety skills.

That dude is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!! :shocked:

-----

rcsodak
06-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes... I am.

I only hope he gets a shot.

I hate keeping old guys around so you can't find out if the young guys can play.

Screw McCree and Manuel.

Teams don't just keep "old guys around". They are brought in to challenge the younger players.

They'll be gone, once the team doesn't lose anything by cutting them.

Just like when the g.o.a.t. was brought in a couple years back. If he hadn't lost some of his skills, and had beaten out the younger players, he would have been on the roster. Since that wasn't the case, he was released.

No GM/HC, in their right mind, just keeps "old guys around so you can't find out if the young guys can play." That's utter ridiculousness. :tsk:

rcsodak
06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
rogers Is One Guy I Really, Really Hope Has Some Safety Skills.

That Dude Is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!! :shocked:

-----

Hey Top!!!! How Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast Is He?!?!?!?! :laugh:

topscribe
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Top!!!! How Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast Is He?!?!?!?! :laugh:

What is this, David Letterman? :confused:

-----

broncogirl7
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
It would be nice to see him rotated in on a couple of plays to give him some experience during a real game. Easier to see what kind of talent he can bring to the safety position. It would be great if Barret did well enough to fill Lynch's shoes since he's retiring and then have Rogers as a backup.

rcsodak
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
It would be nice to see him rotated in on a couple of plays to give him some experience during a real game. Easier to see what kind of talent he can bring to the safety position. It would be great if Barret did well enough to fill Lynch's shoes since he's retiring and then have Rogers as a backup.

Ugh.

I believe that's what training camp is for...... :tsk:

broncogirl7
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Ugh.

I believe that's what training camp is for...... :tsk:

Ugh...training camp is training camp. Seeing how he plays in a "real" game will give a broader picture of what he can really do in the trenches!
That's why we have pre-season games, to see what they can do outside of training camp....

Buff
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
You can tell the offseason has reached the bottom when the writers start churning out feel good pieces about players that won't be here in September... Rogers, Birdine, Mallard etc....

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
You can tell the offseason has reached the bottom when the writers start churning out feel good pieces about players that won't be here in September... Rogers, Birdine, Mallard etc....

You never know though.... Rogers was one of the top safeties in the Big Ten before his injury set him back his senior season. He is more a cover type than hitting type and that is something Denver needs. We have plenty of safeties that can hit, but lack the guys who stand out in coverage.

The defensive linemen will be tough... although we don't have a lot of stand out or proven talent it will be an uphill climb for Mallard and Birdine. Birdine is an interesting prospect because of his measurables and Mallard did ok last season, but I don't see how either make this team with Ekuban and Moss healthy again.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with mallard and winborn last year. I would like to see both make the roster again this year. ( out of skill not injury or signing and cutting like last year.)

rcsodak
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Ugh...training camp is training camp. Seeing how he plays in a "real" game will give a broader picture of what he can really do in the trenches!
That's why we have pre-season games, to see what they can do outside of training camp....

Ugh.

1. Preseason games are a PART of training camp
2. Only so many plays are available. If you keep letting noobs have all the plays, it takes away opportunities for the vets...and since these vets are going to be new to the system as well, a decision has to be made, relatively early on, as to who is going to get the bulk of them.

broncogirl7
07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd still like to see him in a game.