PDA

View Full Version : Is Moss pulling a Lazarus?

Dean
08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I know, I know this is only camp but Jarvis Moss seems to be raising from the dead.

http://den.scout.com/2/988624.html

Camp Quotes - Jarvis Moss 8/2/10

Jarvis Moss (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) By Broncos Update Staff (PR)

Posted Aug 3, 2010

Four-year vet Jarvis Moss met with the media following camp today to discuss playing with Elvis Dumervilo, his offseason cdonditioning and his desire to make a contribution to the team.

On how he prepared during in the offseason
“I just put in time – just worked and ran. You know, I worked real hard all offseason and it’s crazy, how winded you can still be out here during camp and stuff. You are just trying to give it your all. You know, I just put in the time. It’s important to me.”

On what has changed for him from last year
“You know, there was a lot of stuff on my plate last year –a lot of stuff that wasn’t just football and a lot of stuff that built up on me. But I just had to sit down and take a deep look at myself and realize that I am a football player and this is what I love to do. I really couldn’t tell you guys what I would be doing other than this, because I don’t know. I just had to check myself, this is what I love. This is what takes care of me and my family and stuff like that, so it’s serious now.”

On if he is looking for more playing time
“I want to play. Being a starter, that’s never been big on my list. Everybody would love to be, but I just want to contribute. I want to go ahead and start a legacy for myself and just live up to what people are expecting me to be. I know what I am capable of and I know what I expect to be.”

On if he is bigger than last season
“A little bit. I gained about six or seven pounds over the offseason and (I’m) just trying to carry it better. I have been carrying it for a few months now, so I can move like I was light.”

On if being bigger and stronger has helped him at his position
“Yeah, there’s still a lot of stuff technique wise that I’ve got to get right. as far as myself is concerned, if that’s what you are asking, but yeah I am stronger. I can feel that I am stronger.”

On how the competition is going at linebacker
“I don’t know. It’s a competition, and that’s what camp is always about. I don’t want to say anything to make it seem like I am a starter or, you know, that’s not even on my mind. I just want to help, and I want to get better and just do what the coaches are asking us to do out here and just gain their trust – whatever it takes.”

On how important the linebacker position opposite LB Elvis Dumervil is
“Yeah, it’s really huge. You know, a lot of spots are vital on this team and that’s one of the key spots. Opposite Elvis right now is (LB) Robert (Ayers), and he is coming along. I am confident he is going to be a great player and that’s just the type of team guy I am, Rob (Robert Ayers) is my friend and I am confident that he can get the job done, and I just want to convince the coaches that I am doing the same.”

On how he likes playing the linebacker position
“I love it. I realize this is what I should have been doing, for a long time. This is the most comfortable I have felt at it, especially after the OTAs. It’s kind of like I have been doing it for a few years now.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2010 BroncosUpdate.com and Scout.com.

Dean
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Here is another article along the same lines.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Jarvis.Moss.Broncos.2.1841091.html

If he can develop as a pass rusher opposite Elvis and the front three play solid, the defense could be exceptional this coming year.

T.K.O.
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
so his contract is coming to an end and he has'nt done squat....must be time to impress somebody:laugh:
but really i hope he can at least contribute....i am a little dissappointed he did'nt say "hell yeah i want to start....i was a first round pick and i owe the team and the fans alot more than ive produced !":salute:

honz
08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
If he could just become a disruptive situational pass rusher, I'd be happy. I don't have much hope of him becoming any more than that, but it's nice to hear (from him and his coaches/teammates) that he has been working hard and really putting his focus into football. You gotta respect that.

dogfish
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2533/notdeadyet.jpg (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/notdeadyet.jpg/)

"I'm not dead yet!!"

dogfish
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
if nothing else, that interview really has the sound of a man who's come to terms with his situation and understands what's on the line. . . he sounds at peace. . . maybe it's what he needed-- maybe having that highly-drafted player ahead of him will mitigate some of the expectations and let him just go out and play. . .

hopefully he does take that approach. . . and if he gives it everything he has and it doesn't happen, at least he can walk away knowing that he tried his best and it just wasn't meant to be. . .

honz
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Also, Moss > Hillis.

dogfish
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Also, Moss > Hillis.

just when i was starting to feel a little remorseful about that earlier slam, you gotta go and post this??

:whoknows:

Lonestar
08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Perhaps not another bust, let's hope he can live up to half his hype.
Kind of disappointed to hear him say starting is not the end all.

Think that attitude will get him cut.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Sconnie Bronco
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
so his contract is coming to an end and he has'nt done squat....must be time to impress somebody:laugh:
but really i hope he can at least contribute....i am a little dissappointed he did'nt say "hell yeah i want to start....i was a first round pick and i owe the team and the fans alot more than ive produced !":salute:

I agree but it can be kind of delicate. I still wish he would have been more assertive like youre saying.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Offseason-Rewards/1fe363c7-1d89-451e-bd61-b8b2677455ff

Jarvis Moss refocused on football this offseason, earning praise from his coaches and teammates. Now the linebacker hopes to parlay his improvement into a bigger onfield impact.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Jarvis Moss earned one of 10 front row spots in the players' parking lot at the Broncos' Dove Valley facility for being named one of the team's offseason champions.

For now, the prime parking space remains the major reward for his months of running, lifting and hard work since the close of last season.

But if Moss can continue that momentum as the 2010 season nears, he hopes he's just begun to reap the benefits.

Three days into training camp, the 6-foot-7, 257-pound linebacker continues to impress coaches and teammates with his transformation. Buoyed by a new attitude, Moss is poised to parlay his re-dedication to the sport into an increased impact on the team that drafted him with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

"I want to go ahead and start a legacy for myself and just live up to what people are expecting me to be," Moss said Monday. "I know what I am capable of and I know what I expect to be."

After three seasons in which he played a total of 25 games and recorded just 39 tackles, Moss understood some changes were in order before his fourth campaign. Looking back, it's easy for Moss to realize his approach needed adjusting all along.

For Moss, who turns 26 today, that meant prioritizing his life, focusing on football and working toward the form that made him a star at Florida.

The result of a tireless offseason has been the addition of a few pounds of muscle to his long frame and a renewed sense of purpose on the field.

"I just had to sit down and take a deep look at myself," Moss said, "and realize that I am a football player and this is what I love to do."

Many around Dove Valley have taken notice.

During June minicamp, Moss earned reps with the first-unit defense. In his second year as an outside linebacker in the Broncos' 3-4 scheme, he's shown flashes of the burst and playmaking that first impressed the Broncos during Florida's run to the 2007 NCAA National Championship.

That success has many wondering how a resurgent Moss could boost an already talented linebacking corps.

"He’s doing a lot of the little things right that takes some time to learn," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said, "so we are excited about what we’ve got with Jarvis this year."

That's a sentiment Moss can embrace. While some want to discuss his last three seasons, Moss remains focused on the present and future.

Regardless of the role the linebacker ultimately plays this season, teammates have said they are excited about Moss' new attitude.

In that way, the offseason champion vote and new parking spot just completed the transformation.

"What I see of Jarvis today is a guy who is dialed-in -- dedicated," Brian Dawkins said Tuesday. "He's pushing himself and asking questions left and right in the meeting room to make sure he's where he needs to be for our defense."

BACKING BAKER

As April's NFL Draft wound down, Toney Baker started doing his homework.

Several teams were interested in signing the former N.C. State running back if he wasn't selected. As his phone continued to ring, Baker weighed his options.

The 24-year-old admits it wasn't an easy choice. In the end, the best opportunity to play -- and a bit of nostalgia for the Broncos' run of success in the late 1990s -- won out.

"I didn’t see any power backs on the roster," Baker said of his reasons for accepting an invitation to compete in the Mile High City, "and I just thought that it would be a great place to play."

Baker's chances to impress have increased in recent days with injuries to Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter. He's had a chance to share reps with Kolby Smith, Lance Ball and Bruce Hall -- all of whom have joined the squad since November.

McDaniels said because of their common lack of experience in the system, he's looking at all four running backs as rookies. That amounts to a running back crash course that will be valuable to whichever backs ultimately make the 53-man roster.

"The good thing is they are getting a lot of reps and I think with every rep, hopefully, they are learning something and then we can get better each practice," McDaniels said.

Baker knows something about injuries. He missed nearly two full seasons in his Wolfpack career with a right knee injury before a healthy senior season.

While Baker empathizes with his teammates, the 5-foot-10, 225-pound bruiser hopes to carve out his niche by taking advantage of any extra reps that come his way.

"(I'm) just taking it as an opportunity to get better each and every day," Baker said. "We’re praying for (Buckhalter and Moreno) to come back soon, very soon, but we’ve just got to keep on trying to get better each day."

BroncoWave
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Perhaps not another bust, let's hope he can live up to half his hype.
Kind of disappointed to hear him say starting is not the end all.

Think that attitude will get him cut.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

You can just see the worst in everything! :lol:

LTC Pain
08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I like underdogs, especially like when an athlete who came with high expectations isn't being all he can be and turns the dedication, committment, wirh ethic part around. Jarvis seems to have done this and I wish him all the best this season. My guess is he will have some level of impact on the team that we haven't seen before.

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I still don't think he will have any impact on the team this year whatsoever.

He has started previous camps very well, and then quickly faded off before the end pf preseason. I expect the same from him this year too.

broncofaninfla
08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Last year at this time Tim Crowder was getting the same attention and postive feedback. By Week #1 he wasn't on the roster. I am cautiously optimistic about Moss but am pulling for him to finially earn the money he has been paid.

Grover
08-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I like underdogs too. They're fun to root for. Jammie Kirlew is an underdog - 7th round pick with a great attitude and work ethic. I'm pulling for him to make the team and I think he'd be a better "what we all hoped Jarvis Moss would become" than Jarvis himself.

I'm concerned that Jarvis Moss is an underachiever, not an underdog

arapaho2
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Last year at this time Tim Crowder was getting the same attention and postive feedback. By Week #1 he wasn't on the roster. I am cautiously optimistic about Moss but am pulling for him to finially earn the money he has been paid.

and then crowder went to the bucs and had a decent season for only starting 4 games....43 tckls..37 solo..3.5 sacks

underrated29
08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
and then crowder went to the bucs and had a decent season for only starting 4 games....43 tckls..37 solo..3.5 sacks

I was saying just how good crowder looked to me in TC last year. I was not happy when we cut him.

As for moss- I have noticed him a few times in TC this year. But not much. He did blow past the LT for a sack, totally owned his guy, but he was working against the 2nd or 3rd string LT- I didnt even know who the guy was. If it was clady or someone else---doubtful he would have gotten past.

Jarvis still struggles with disengaging from blocks. And his strength. He still gets worked pretty good by the FB or RB in pass pro. He has made some nice plays and even though he didnt get the tackle he did seal the edge on a would be big run-which resulted in a no gain.

I still say he makes the team. But because we have little depth, not because he is better than most.

broncofaninfla
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Good point :beer:

Dean
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
With Elvis going down, Jarvis will get every opportunity to show what he can do.

I am not sure whether this will end up as a fairy tale with Moss suddenly emerging or a nightmarish fail.:confused: