PDA

View Full Version : A new season, a new Quarterback battle

Retired_Member_001
06-27-2008, 12:53 PM
A new season, a new Quarterback battle

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z258/TheWookieeBronco/78274932.jpg?t=1214588783

What comes into your mind when you hear these words, “Quarterback controversies”. As Bronco fans, we probably think of the most recent epic battle between Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler. However, Quarterback battles linger over the whole of Football season. What NFL Season isn’t complete without a Quarterback controversy? The NFL Quarterback gets all the praise when the team are winning, and all the hate when they are losing. They don’t say that Quarterback is the hardest NFL Position for no reason. This then makes the pick of a starting Quarterback all the more important.

So, as the new NFL season arrives, let us examine some possible Quarterback controversies:

Rex Grossman V Kyle Orton - Chicago Bears: Rex Grossman was dumped as the Bears starting quarterback last season. He then won it back, and then lost it again. He is just not a good and safe option. Poor arm accuracy, poor confidence in the pocket and he lacks composure. This all equals to loads of incomplete passes and interceptions. He leaves us all wondering, Good Rex or Bad Wrecks? More often, it’s the latter. Then there is Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton had a season to show off his talents when he was a rookie. Rex Grossman went down injured, meaning Orton had to step up. Orton did fairly well as a rookie, however, that doesn’t guarantee anything now. I really do believe we will be seeing the Bears bring in a Quarterback through a trade. Chris Simms anybody?

Brady Quinn V Derek Anderson - Cleveland Browns: For a long time I said that Derek Anderson would develop into a good QB. EVERYONE, mocked me. Everyone said I was crazy. I took a lot of teasing, but it turned out that I was right. Derek Anderson had an amazing breakout year last season and was one of the better NFL Quarterbacks. BQ V DA will be the most heated Quarterback battle in the NFL. With Derek Anderson looking solid, but Brady Quinn being labelled a top notch prospect, the battle will be fierce. Brady Quinn had a few snaps at the end of last season. In those few snaps, Brady Quinn displayed such confidence and fire throwing in the pocket. It left everybody mesmerized. He really showed off his talents in the short time he had. Derek Anderson on the other hand, had an overall good year. Many will argue that this could have been a “one off” year. I believe that despite playing really well, Derek Anderson will be dumped by mid season. Unfortunately, this kills the Browns playoff hopes as the talented second year player, Brady Quinn, stumbles. It will be a bright future for the Browns and Brady Quinn though.

Matt Leinart V Kurt Warner - Arizona Cardinals: Some may not view this as a major Quarterback controversy. However, do not count out a few sparks between the two players. Last season, the Arizona Cardinals played MUCH MUCH better with Kurt Warner than Matt Leinart. Yes fine, you could say , “Well Leinart is young and inexperienced”. This is a very reasonable argument. Do not doubt for one second though, that if the Cardinals go down, Leinart’s head will not be called for. Major arm strength worries and injury problems worsen Leinart’s situation. I believe that Leinart will be injured before we can see the outcome of this one.

Whoever V Whoever - Miami Dolphins: This is easily the most open spot in all of the Quarterback controversies. Who will step up? John Beck? Chad Henne? Josh McCown? Those aren’t the kind of players you want playing Quarterback for your team. It will probably be a rotation of all 3, starting with McCown and ending with Henne. I honestly believe that the Dolphins should have taken a Quarterback with the 1st overall pick. Someone who they can rely on for 10+ years to be a good option at Quarterback. Even if John Beck turns out to be that guy, which he won’t, he’ll be 27 by the start of the new NFL season. I expect my 27 year old Quarterback to be playing the best football of his life, at that age. I do not expect him to be a second year player. Then there’s Chad Henne who was a bigger mistake than taking Ted Ginn Jr in the 1st last year. Sure, I have never watched him play in the NFL. It’s not illegal to have opinions on NFL prospects though, is it?

Donovan McNabb V Kevin Kolb - Philadelphia Eagles: I use to always think that McNabb was one of the best Quarterbacks in this league (before he gets injured). When will running Quarterbacks learn that their body is not built to withstand hits? There’s no point scrambling for 3 yards if it’s going to mean you miss 5 games. McNabb will get the job, play amazingly for 3 games, then have a drop off in one game, complain about how everyone hates Black Quarterbacks, get injured and then it will all be left to Kevin Kolb. I mean, you know it’s going to happen.

Joey Harrington V Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons: I honestly do not believe there will be much of a battle here. Joey Harrington will start out the season doing a decent job of keeping the Atlanta Falcons steady. Then, once the ship starts to sink, Matty “Ice” Ryan will take control and try to impress for the rest of the season. After the whole Vick situation, the Falcons are looking for a new Star Franchise Quarterback. He may not have the running ability, but Matty Ice will be a much better Quarterback. He’ll make better passes and not insist on running the ball on 3rd and 19.

Kellen Clemens V Chad Pennington - New York Jets: This will also be a pretty heated Quarterback controversy. Most bets would be on Kellen Clemens getting the starting job at the beginning of the season though. The New Jork Jets organization have continually repeated their will to have Clemens throwing the ball for the Jets in the 2008 Season. Despite this, I certainly would not rule out Chad Pennington making a comeback. Pennington has got a good mental attitude and will fight for his place. If Clemens messes up, Pennington will be right there to jump at the opportunity. My prediction, is that Clemens does a pretty average job of Quarterbacking, forcing the Jets to take a Quarterback in the 2009 Draft.

Aaron Rodgers V Brian Brohm - Green Bay Packers: I think it’s going to be the Denver situation in Green Bay. Once the legendary Quarterback leaves, the fans slam any new Quarterback who plays for them. I really would NOT like to be Aaron Rodgers or Brian Brohm right now. Traditionally, the most experienced Quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, will take the starting role. If things start to go a little pear shaped, do not rule out Brian Brohm being thrown in there. Obviously, when good teams have not so good Quarterbacks, the coach tends to go with the more experience for a year. Brian Brohm is a very good prospect though and could well have been a 1st round pick. It will be an interesting battle in Green Bay. No one really knows what will happen. Rodgers had been Favre’s understudy for so long. It will be interesting to see what he has learnt.

So there it is, a dummies guide to Quarterback Battles that may or may not happen in the 2008 NFL season. I think it is important for head coaches to find their guy and stick with him. All this rotating of the Quarterbacks, it just smashes the confidence of everyone. Find your guy, and place your confidence in him.

Of course, it would not be complete without some honourable mentions:

Baltimore - Troy Smith did a good job when he played last season. It was a sort of shock to me when they took Flacco. Still, you just KNOW the 1st round pick will eventually play.

San Francisco - Anyone with Alex Smith as their starting Quarterback is going to have some sort of controversy.

All we as fans can do, is wait and see.

BeefStew25
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
From Tubby:

Jay Cutler vs. Jake Plummer

tubby
06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
From Beef:

Wins don't matter as long as his butt looks good in football pants.

BeefStew25
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
From Beef:

Wins don't matter as long as his butt looks good in football pants.

From Tubby:

When a team loses, it is never because of a crappy defense.

Retired_Member_001
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
It's nice to know that my article gets such intelligent conversation...

:D ;)

dogfish
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
it doesn't matter who wins the job in chicago-- whoever it is, they're not going to have any weapons to work with, and neither of those guys has the talent to do anything without a better surrounding cast. . .

i don't think quinn can mount any kind of serious challenge to anderson. . . .

i don't see philly as a controversy-- mcnabb plays if he's healthy, end of story. . .

Retired_Member_001
07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
it doesn't matter who wins the job in chicago-- whoever it is, they're not going to have any weapons to work with, and neither of those guys has the talent to do anything without a better surrounding cast. . .

i don't think quinn can mount any kind of serious challenge to anderson. . . .

i don't see philly as a controversy-- mcnabb plays if he's healthy, end of story. . .

As I said though, everyone blames the Quarterback. If Chicago does poorly, the fans will be calling for the Quarterbacks head, that's just Football. If you're not cut out for that sort of pressure then you shouldn't be a Quarterback.

As for Quinn, I do believe he will mount a serious challenge. Unless Anderson comes out putting up Pro Bowl numbers, the guy who was drafted to be the star will get his chance. It's only natural. I think at some point down the line, Anderson will be used as Trade Bait to grab them a good player. Quinn will get his chance.

There's alot of pressure in Philly. As I said in the article, McNabb follows a pattern.

McNabb will get the job, play amazingly for 3 games, then have a drop off in one game, complain about how everyone hates Black Quarterbacks, get injured and then it will all be left to Kevin Kolb. I mean, you know it’s going to happen.

If McNabb follows this pattern, Kolb will take the starting job. You'll then see a controversy when McNabb is back healthy. If Kolb is holding it down but McNabb is back, what is going to happen?

omac
07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
If McNabb follows this pattern, Kolb will take the starting job. You'll then see a controversy when McNabb is back healthy. If Kolb is holding it down but McNabb is back, what is going to happen?

It's a different situation, but Jeff Garcia played great for the injured McNabb, then the next season, they release (trade?) him and he plays well for Tampa. That makes me think they'll revert to McNabb, even if Kolb plays well in his absence.

Retired_Member_001
07-05-2008, 04:48 PM
It's a different situation, but Jeff Garcia played great for the injured McNabb, then the next season, they release (trade?) him and he plays well for Tampa. That makes me think they'll revert to McNabb, even if Kolb plays well in his absence.

You forget one key factor.

Kolb is YOUNG and was DRAFTED by the Eagles. Garcia was old and was only kept as a backup. You don't spend a 2nd round pick on a guy unless you think he will develop.

omac
07-05-2008, 06:06 PM
You forget one key factor.

Kolb is YOUNG and was DRAFTED by the Eagles. Garcia was old and was only kept as a backup. You don't spend a 2nd round pick on a guy unless you think he will develop.

I didn't forget ... that's why I said it's a different situation, hehehe. :D

I think Philadelphia will eventually trade McNabb, maybe to the Bears. They can get a good defensive player, or a draft pick.

Retired_Member_001
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I didn't forget ... that's why I said it's a different situation, hehehe. :D

I think Philadelphia will eventually trade McNabb, maybe to the Bears. They can get a good defensive player, or a draft pick.

That's what I'm thinking too. McNabb has value, value that could be used to bring in a player/ draft pick that will have a bigger impact.