PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan bring in Cedric Benson!

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I know this won't go over well with most of the Broncos fans here, but I'm going to say it... BRING IN BENSON!
:D

Northman
06-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Yea, i dont see any reason too. He didnt do squat for Chicago. But, if he comes cheap throw him on the rest of the heap.

silkamilkamonico
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes. Bring in Benson! Denver could use another overrated washed up player that even his teammates don't like him, and is one strike away from ana NFL suspension and has incredibly horrible character.

CoachChaz
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Why not...one day one of these retreads will pan out

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
25 years old... 1st round talent on a bad team, bad QB, bad o-line.... Put him in Denver, with Culter... great change of pace back to match with Selvin Young. Heck, he and Marshall can go to alchohol counseling classes together and Benson can show Marshall how to use the built-in breathalyzer in his car.

Retired_Member_001
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Why don't we bring in Tatum Bell whilst we're at it?

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/AquariuStace/Bears/benson.jpg

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Because he fumbles too much and he isn't available. Beson actually is.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
People will knock him for his DUI, but it was his 1st incident and he was very commited to getting in shape this season. Cedric Benson measured 5'11/216 at the Bears' offseason weigh-in back in the end of May. He was reported to be running good and that his weight loss helped him gain some burst back that he showed in college. Yes, he went and got in trouble, but he doesn't have a history like some of the other players we've had and he is still young. He wouldn't be a risk at all because he will be dirt cheap. We are in the position to gamble at this position given that we have some depth. If Benson doesn't impress.. cut him... no big deal really. Why not give him a shot?

Retired_Member_001
06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Because he fumbles too much and he isn't available. Beson actually is.

I was joking. I as saying that Benson is as soft as Tatum Bell.

Anyone have the video when he had a clear path to the endzone and got tackled by thin air?

:laugh:

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Anyone have the video when he had a clear path to the endzone and got tackled by thin air?

No, but I've seen plenty of video with him running over people when healthy. He has to be better than Pittman, Sapp, Mike Bell, and maybe even Hall and Torian. I don't see how bringing him in would be a waste of time or even a problem. He should be cheap, he is talented, and given our system he should do pretty good. We don't have Grossman at QB. Teams can't just focus on our running game like they did in Chicago.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Benson's coaches video look (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvS6rZvaZTM)

Put him on the Broncos and he will be a lot better!

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
A look at how easy he goes down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNSf0alXII)

atwater27
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
2 big thumbs way the hell down:doh::2thumbsdown:

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Do we have any risk takers here? :cool::woot:

Poet
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Why? All Cedric Benson did was play awful on a team with possibly the best center in the NFL. Guess what he did a lot? Run straight....Benson blows........

Dreadnought
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Not me Boss, as much as I respect your judgement. Fool me once, etc etc. This guy is a pure stiff.

tubby
06-27-2008, 01:37 PM

The Bulldozer!?

I'd be down with that. :coffee:

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Not me Boss, as much as I respect your judgement. Fool me once, etc etc. This guy is a pure stiff.

That's cool... I knew most people wouldn't want him.. that's fine. I think he would do well in our system. I for one would bring him in because I don't see it as a risk and I think he is an upgrade. Bears oline really declined, their play was pretty bad. Most of the defenses he faced were 8 man fronts. Horrible QB play and receiver play didn't help. The Coaches video shows very well what Benson saw when he played. The one year the Bears o-line was good he out played Thomas Jones and did very good. Now everyone is sour on him. At 25 years old, i'm not ready to give up on him. We have players right now on this team with worst criminal records than Benson so that doesn't bother me, especially considering how much we could sign him for and the depth that we do have at runningback it wouldn't be a big deal if he does sour out.

Dreadnought
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
That's cool... I knew most people wouldn't want him.. that's fine. I think he would do well in our system. I for one would bring him in because I don't see it as a risk and I think he is an upgrade. Bears oline really declined, their play was pretty bad. Most of the defenses he faced were 8 man fronts. Horrible QB play and receiver play didn't help. The Coaches video shows very well what Benson saw when he played. The one year the Bears o-line was good he out played Thomas Jones and did very good. Now everyone is sour on him. At 25 years old, i'm not ready to give up on him. We have players right now on this team with worst criminal records than Benson so that doesn't bother me, especially considering how much we could sign him for and the depth that we do have at runningback it wouldn't be a big deal if he does sour out.

I understand what you're saying. I want this team to build some chemistry in the Post-Javon Walker/Travis Henry era. Benson is more of a risk simply because he has built up a pretty bad rep. Same reason I don't want Michael Pittman, but love the Keary Colbert signings. I don't want to even take the chance that this guy shows just enough to make the roster and then festers over on the bench.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I understand what you're saying. I want this team to build some chemistry in the Post-Javon Walker/Travis Henry era. Benson is more of a risk simply because he has built up a pretty bad rep. Same reason I don't want Michael Pittman, but love the Keary Colbert signings. I don't want to even take the chance that this guy shows just enough to make the roster and then festers over on the bench.

If we keep 5 backs it could look something like this....

Young, Torian, Benson
Hillis, Hall/Sapp
PS: Aldridge

If Benson does fester, then bring up Aldridge or put Hall back at the #3 spot. No big deal. The only person he would knock off is another iffy back... Pittman... and that is if Benson actually shows enough to make the roster.

dogfish
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM

yea, no more assclowns. . . .

although, it would be funny seeing undrafted andre hall beat him out. . . .

atwater27
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Forget about Benson's off the field stuff for a moment......
He just sucks.

silkamilkamonico
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
He just sucks.

Forget about the fact that he sucks.

His own teammates don't even like him.

Retired_Member_001
No, but I've seen plenty of video with him running over people when healthy. He has to be better than Pittman, Sapp, Mike Bell, and maybe even Hall and Torian. I don't see how bringing him in would be a waste of time or even a problem. He should be cheap, he is talented, and given our system he should do pretty good. We don't have Grossman at QB. Teams can't just focus on our running game like they did in Chicago.

Anyone can have highlight real. Even Tatum Bell had a highlight reel (remember when he gave Ray Ray a piggybacl ride?). You have to understand though, whether the good outweights the bad.

He will be cheap, but there is no point wasting time with him. As much as I really respect your opinions BOSS (and I REALLY do respect your opinions), I've got to say a big fat no to this idea.

BOSSHOGG30
He just sucks.

And so does Edgerrin James too right... It really hurts a runningback when you don't have a good offensive line. Go back and watch the coaches clip I provided on the 1st page. Benson had no help. Show me a back without either a solid O-line or passing attack to take the pressure off of him that is actually doing good? He would do a lot better with Cutler over Grossman and the Broncos upgraded O-line, Bobby Turner working with him, and Shanahan's run friendly system. Instant upgrade over Pittman and Mike Bell. He could easily challenge Andre Hall and Ryan Torian. And if we are really lucky he could be the answer to pair with Selvin Young's outside running abililty.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Forget about the fact that he sucks.

His own teammates don't even like him.

Do you know why his team mates don't like him?

There is some truth to this. Thomas Jones cold cocked Cedric Benson in the face because of comments Benson made about Jones to reporters during training camp. Cedric was very similar to Ricky Williams. He was very isolated from the team and didn't say much to anyone. He speaks his mind when asked a question and he apparently was too honest when he was asked about his relationship with Thomas Jones. Jones basically kicked his ass in practice. The defensive players on the team are the ones that didn't like Benson. They reportly tried to hurt him during practices. Everyone on the team like Thomas Jones and never gave Benson the time of day. It has been like this since Benson has been there.

silkamilkamonico
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM

There is some truth to this. Thomas Jones cold cocked Cedric Benson in the face because of comments Benson made about Jones to reporters during training camp. Cedric was very similar to Ricky Williams. He was very isolated from the team and didn't say much to anyone. He speaks his mind when asked a question and he apparently was too honest when he was asked about his relationship with Thomas Jones. Jones basically kicked his ass in practice. The defensive players on the team are the ones that didn't like Benson. They reportly tried to hurt him during practices. Everyone on the team like Thomas Jones and never gave Benson the time of day. It has been like this since Benson has been there.

Wow. Great guy.

Talking $#!= about his own teammate, probably because he wasn't given the starting job over him. That's the kind of locker room cancer I want on my team.

No wonder why his own teammates can't stand him.

If Shanahan signed him, he would have to virtually giftwrap the starting job for him, otherwise Bensen would go out on a verbal rampage on his own teammates.

That's the kind of guy that fumbles, and then yells at the C for not making a cleaner snap.

Bensen has never been a person of accountability, and those kind of people just aren't liked very well.

Sounds like a great guy.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Wow. Great guy.

Talking $#!= about his own teammate, probably because he wasn't given the starting job over him. That's the kind of locker room cancer I want on my team.

No wonder why his own teammates can't stand him.

If Shanahan signed him, he would have to virtually giftwrap the starting job for him, otherwise Bensen would go out on a verbal rampage on his own teammates.

That's the kind of guy that fumbles, and then yells at the C for not making a cleaner snap.

Bensen has never been a person of accountability, and those kind of people just aren't liked very well.

Sounds like a great guy.

Yeah, I'm sure that Thomas Jones wasn't mad at the Bears and Benson because he was pretty much a stud college back drafted to take over Thomas Jones spot and I'm sure Jones welcomed Benson with open arms.... Give me a break! Jones and the team mates close to Jones had it out for Benson from day one. Benson may have been stupid and said some things about how him and Jones weren't getting a long, but that isn't a reason for your team mates to turn on you and try to hurt you during practices. Team mates didn't turn on Cutler when he called out Brandon Marshall to the media... but would it have been ok if the defensive players close to Marshall to try to hurt Cutler during practices because he did so? NO!

GEM
06-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Boss had you asked this even a season ago, I think more people would have been on board. I think everyone is sick of the experiments gone wrong waiting to happen. I just think a lot of people are tired of the Shanahanagins. :shrugs:

lex
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Plus there was one time when he was either late getting out on the field for a game or left the field early (I dont remember which) and his own teammates turned him in. The guy sucks. If you want a guy who cant play and kills morale, Benson's your guy.

Dreadnought
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Boss had you asked this even a season ago, I think more people would have been on board. I think everyone is sick of the experiments gone wrong waiting to happen. I just think a lot of people are tired of the Shanahanagins. :shrugs:

That sums up my thinking perfectly.

Retired_Member_001
06-27-2008, 02:14 PM

Exactly. See Simeon Rice for further proof. Why sign someone who could possibly just bring DUI and attitude to the field. At least bring a little bit of game.

jrelway
06-27-2008, 02:16 PM
id take cedric benson, kevin jones, and even lamont jordan if they came CHEAP. Slip in one of these guys and let mike bell shimmy himself out of here.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
id take cedric benson, kevin jones, and even lamont jordan if they came CHEAP. Slip in one of these guys and let mike bell shimmy himself out of here.

It's just you and me my friend. :D:beer:

GEM
06-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I remember it used to drive me nuts around FA. A million threads on bring em all in. Haven't seen a whole lot of those this year.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I remember it used to drive me nuts around FA. A million threads on bring em all in. Haven't seen a whole lot of those this year.

I've tried to cut back a little bit :D

GEM
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I've tried to cut back a little bit :D

Thank you! :giggles: ;)

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Exactly. See Simeon Rice for further proof. Why sign someone who could possibly just bring DUI and attitude to the field. At least bring a little bit of game.

Simeon Rice was old... didn't want to practice because he felt he didn't need to and was coming torwards the end of his career. Benson practices hard, showed up this season in the best shape of his career, was reported to be running well, and is only 25 years old. He just hit a brick wall with his off-the-field issues.

topscribe
06-27-2008, 02:32 PM

That in itself doesn't mean anything. I have a video where Elway put his hands under the OG's butt. :whoknows:

-----

topscribe
06-27-2008, 02:36 PM

RB is the position with the most questions. In fact, it is probably the only
one where we have no idea at the moment. Bring him in cheap. If the
Broncos are lucky (and they have been before at RB), they have another
first-rounder on the roster. If not, give him a ticket home and a warm pat
on the butt.

What would it hurt? :noidea:

-----

sanluis
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Heck ya!!! He can replace the leadership void now that Henry is gone!!:D:lol:

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
From PFT:

BRONCOS BAG BENSON?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2008, 5:41 p.m. EDT
Earlier this afternoon, we mentioned the Cowboys and Bucs as two of the teams that could make a waiver claim on former Bears running back Cedric Benson.

But what about the Broncos? Coach Mike Shanahan is no stranger to second-hand players who are talented yet troubled. Sometimes, the gamble works out. More often than not, it doesn’t.

On the heels of the team’s decision to get rid of Travis Henry, there’s a potential need for Benson, notwithstanding the recent addition of Michael Pittman.

In our view, whether the Broncos kick the tires on Benson will provide a glimpse into Shanahan’s mindset as to whether he regards his position currently to be in jeopardy. If he makes a claim for Benson, then we’ll conclude that Shanny is the same-old Coach Kevlar, undeterred by the fact that his butt is on the hot seat in part for wasting so much of owner Pat Bowlen’s money. If Shanahan backs off from Benson, then we’ll conclude that Shanahan realizes that he could be in trouble.

topscribe
06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Heck ya!!! He can replace the leadership void now that Henry is gone!!:D:lol:

Fuuuunnnny, SanLuis, fuuuunnnny. :eviltongue:

(BTW, how come you haven't given us a new poem in smack lately?)

-----

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Funny post from Bears forum:

If Cedric Benson goes to the Broncos and runs for like 1500 yds because of that stupid zone blocking scheme I will be PISSED. What do the Broncos want to try and make the Bears look stupid. Hey look you just cut this guy and he ran for a million yards for us because every running back does in our system.

Luckily I don't think that will happen because the Broncos usually pick up smaller backs but I'll be so pissed if it does.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Like Benson or not....Two DWIs doesn't even put him in the Top 20 among criminal pieces of shit in the NFL. How sad is that!

Ziggy
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
He's proven to be an average RB at best. The fact that he got 2 DUI's within a 35 day span shows that he either has a serious lack of intelligence, or he's an alcoholic. His teammates disliked him, and that was before the off field problems. Bowlen has stated that the Broncos worked to make changes across the board this season, including the locker room. I normally advocate bringing in as much competition to camp as possible, but I hope Shanny avoids this one. The chemistry and comradery on the team was reported to be much improved during OTA's. Why risk losing that over an average RB that is one strike away from being gone?

sanluis
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Fuuuunnnny, SanLuis, fuuuunnnny. :eviltongue:

(BTW, how come you haven't given us a new poem in smack lately?)

-----

Thanks Tops!!

I have been waiting for some more ammo before I go back in the smack shack. People get a little cranky in there! :D

topscribe
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks Tops!!

I have been waiting for some more ammo before I go back in the smack shack. People get a little cranky in there! :D

Well, that is just tough, isn't it? People get their panties in a bunch.

Get in there and frustrate some people! That place is deader than a dry cowchip.

(Guess we'd better get back on topic. :D )

-----

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
He's proven to be an average RB at best. The fact that he got 2 DUI's within a 35 day span shows that he either has a serious lack of intelligence, or he's an alcoholic. His teammates disliked him, and that was before the off field problems. Bowlen has stated that the Broncos worked to make changes across the board this season, including the locker room. I normally advocate bringing in as much competition to camp as possible, but I hope Shanny avoids this one. The chemistry and comradery on the team was reported to be much improved during OTA's. Why risk losing that over an average RB that is one strike away from being gone?

Why would Benson be one strike away from being gone? He has one DUI... the other is facing court action because he has many witnesses that back his claim of police abuse. I highly doubt he gets anything from the boating incident. The other DUI is also iffy and he hasn't been convicted. There are many players with worse actions who haven't been suspended. Benson is a 1st time offender and he doesn't have a history of being a trouble maker.

sanluis
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
If Benson will play for the min. then maybe bring him in for camp. If he so much as thinks of drinking or anything else cut his ass! If he isn't the perfect teammate, cut his ass. It would be very risky to team chemistry if he turns out to be a locker room cancer. So the Coaches would have to be on ultra high alert.

Ziggy
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Why would Benson be one strike away from being gone? He has one DUI... the other is facing court action because he has many witnesses that back his claim of police abuse. I highly doubt he gets anything from the boating incident. The other DUI is also iffy and he hasn't been convicted. There are many players with worse actions who haven't been suspended. Benson is a 1st time offender and he doesn't have a history of being a trouble maker.

I guess I should have said 1 strike away from a suspension. Yes, he has 1 DUI and one pending. He failed a field sobriety test on the 2nd, but there is always a chance it won't stick. That makes me wonder even more why the Bears didn't want him around. Besides the fact that he's been a huge disappointment as the 4th pick in the draft, why would they cut him loose so soon? Locker room presence? Attitude? Performance? We may never know for sure. Either way, I hope he signs elsewhere.

hamrob
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I think he's worth a shot. Sign him for cheap and see what happens. Cut him if he doesn't look like a team guy during camp. Cut him if he doesn't show the talent that had him drafted in the top 5 of the NFL Draft. What does it hurt? Chemistry? I think not. If anything it produces more competition.

I might be alone on this one...but I don't see a superbowl running back on this roster right now. I could be wrong...I pray I am....but come on Torrian? And Young...come on...this guy is supposed to be a skat back at best. I hear people talk about his speed...but to me...it looks like he has a little jelly on the backside and runs about a 4.7. These guys are average at best.

Why not take a shot at someone who can be special given the right situation???

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Should we bring in Lawrence Phillips as well? Maybe we can find a way to get Rae Carruth on our roster too!

lex
06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I think he's worth a shot. Sign him for cheap and see what happens. Cut him if he doesn't look like a team guy during camp. Cut him if he doesn't show the talent that had him drafted in the top 5 of the NFL Draft. What does it hurt? Chemistry? I think not. If anything it produces more competition.

I might be alone on this one...but I don't see a superbowl running back on this roster right now. I could be wrong...I pray I am....but come on Torrian? And Young...come on...this guy is supposed to be a skat back at best. I hear people talk about his speed...but to me...it looks like he has a little jelly on the backside and runs about a 4.7. These guys are average at best.

Why not take a shot at someone who can be special given the right situation???

How does it hurt? Either your going to be a team that emphasizes character or youre not. For an organization to say character is important, it then becomes important for them to stick behind the guys they have (who have strong character) and not chase around every free agent with baggage...even if theyre cheap. For the organization to resist guys like this, it sets the tone at the top and in theory better keeps everyone pulling in the same direction. When you send mixed signals (ie when you say you emphasize character but take high risk players), everyone is less likely to be pulling in the same direction. And sometimes bad apples have a lingering affect.

claymore
06-27-2008, 03:57 PM
He comes in on a clean slate for me. IMHO he is less of a character risk than Marshall.

topscribe
06-27-2008, 03:58 PM
He comes in on a clean slate for me. IMHO he is less of a character risk than Marshall.

I haven't heard any allegations about him beating up a woman . . .

-----

Ziggy
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Should we bring in Lawrence Phillips as well? Maybe we can find a way to get Rae Carruth on our roster too!

Then we can trade for Ricky Williams, Pacman Jones, and Tank Johnson.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
lol, I called into ESPN radio and did a stamp it... I called and said that if Cedric Benson was given another chance he would prove to be a stud. Then the ESPN guy said, Sir, have you been drinking... I said, No sir, Benson was playing behind a bad o-line, he had a bad QB and passing game, and defenses stacked versus the run. If he goes to a team like Houston or Denver I think he will be a stud back and that I'm willing to stamp it... They pretty much laughed at me... Guess everyone has bad blood for Benson... Lol

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but what -- he's had two DUI's? Are we seriously going to play Judge and Jury and try and decide what's more harmful or shows less character?

A domestic dispute between a player and his girlfriend in which we don't know all the facts of, or the a situation where a certain player has twice been charged with a DUI; and making such a poor choice that endangers not only his life, but others as well?

It's a no brainer. You don't sign this guy at all.

First, character reasons. As Lex mentioned, it's been stated that one of the goals was to chip away at people who are locker room cancers and bad influences. Drafting players with high character are indicative of this as well. He also highlighted on the mixed messages portion of it which I agree with, I don't need to rehash it.

Secondly, what's Benson done in the NFL anyways besides prove that he can't carry the load and is oft-injured?

Pu-pu-pu-pass on Benson.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Glad we are comparing a guy with a DUI, to guys like Pacman Jones, Rae Carruth, Ricky Williams, and Lawerance Phillips. Guy gets in trouble once and he is an outcast... Yet guys like Brandon Marshall, Rod Smith, Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, and the other players on this team who screwed up are ok guys.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Maybe Albert Haynesworth as well, we need a player who can shove his cleats in the faces of others. You know, to keep everyone else in line. Any others we can hope for!?

topscribe
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Maybe Albert Haynesworth as well, we need a player who can shove his cleats in the faces of others. You know, to keep everyone else in line. Any others we can hope for!?

Well, if we're going to do all that, we need to sign Marcus Vick.

He can trample some arms for us.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Glad we are comparing a guy with a DUI, to guys like Pacman Jones, Rae Carruth, Ricky Williams, and Lawerance Phillips. Guy gets in trouble once and he is an outcast... Yet guys like Brandon Marshall, Rod Smith, Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, and the other players on this team who screwed up are ok guys.

You're not going to see me giving those players a free pass, but you won't also see me hoping for a player who hasn't done jackshit in the NFL but be injured, make poor decisions and get cut from his team because he never showed the character, promise and work ethic people thought he would. A signing of Benson would be the antithesis of what the theme of this past off-season was.

It doesn't make sense at all.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, if we're going to do all that, we need to sign Marcus Vick.

He can trample some arms for us.

-----

Yeah, that'd be good. Maybe we'll have Elvis Dumervil lay face down on the ground and have him stop his leg in again? I've been wanting to see a good camp fight. Let's do it.

Ziggy
06-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Show the the post where I said any of those guys were OK guys.

underrated29
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
bOSS I was with you about trading a late round pick for benson when we still had travis henry. However, I think henry is a much better back then benson. So if we were to bring one back in i would say why not travis. Of course that wont happen so my answer is no.

I wouldnt mind giving k. smith a shot though. Atleast from what i know he doesnt have any baggage, just injuries. When one plays for the crappy lions though injuries should be expected. Ask Boss bailey about that one.

For the moment i would compare torain and benson as similiar- only torain is younger, cheaper, and hasnt played poorly for anyone yet.

BOSSHOGG30
06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
bOSS I was with you about trading a late round pick for benson when we still had travis henry. However, I think henry is a much better back then benson. So if we were to bring one back in i would say why not travis. Of course that wont happen so my answer is no.

I wouldnt mind giving k. smith a shot though. Atleast from what i know he doesnt have any baggage, just injuries. When one plays for the crappy lions though injuries should be expected. Ask Boss bailey about that one.

For the moment i would compare torain and benson as similiar- only torain is younger, cheaper, and hasnt played poorly for anyone yet.

I think you mean Kevin Jones

lex
06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

1. His teammates hated him
2. He gets in trouble with the law twice for the same thing within a month
3. He sucks

Northman
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Jones and the team mates close to Jones had it out for Benson from day one.

Sorry dude, have to call you out on that one. Thomas Jones isnt the type of player to go out of his way to shun another one. Im a huge UVA fan and Jones was nothing but a outstanding teammate. To say that about him and the rest of the team is bogus, especially if you have nothing to back up those statements. Now, im all for giving the guy a shot but please dont start making up shit to try and make Benson look better. Thats just BS.

Simple Jaded
06-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't mind if Denver signed Benson, but it'll never happen.

Maybe they could wait til the Crypt Keeper cuts LaMont Jordan and sign him.

Kevin Jones may not be able to play til midseason......

BroncoNut
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Stay away from this one, my opinion. I don't know why, but it sounds cool

underrated29
06-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes i did mean kevinjones

whoever said lamont jordan has it roght though. I would LOVE to see jordan here. That man is a good runningback. I dont care how bad his back is- he would do very very well here.

To bad we couldnt have traded walker to davis for jordan, he would have gotten walker cheaper then he did too.

Ahh well, davis is a fool and broncos rule.

turftoad
06-27-2008, 06:58 PM
From PFT:

BRONCOS BAG BENSON?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2008, 5:41 p.m. EDT
Earlier this afternoon, we mentioned the Cowboys and Bucs as two of the teams that could make a waiver claim on former Bears running back Cedric Benson.

But what about the Broncos? Coach Mike Shanahan is no stranger to second-hand players who are talented yet troubled. Sometimes, the gamble works out. More often than not, it doesn’t.

On the heels of the team’s decision to get rid of Travis Henry, there’s a potential need for Benson, notwithstanding the recent addition of Michael Pittman.

In our view, whether the Broncos kick the tires on Benson will provide a glimpse into Shanahan’s mindset as to whether he regards his position currently to be in jeopardy. If he makes a claim for Benson, then we’ll conclude that Shanny is the same-old Coach Kevlar, undeterred by the fact that his butt is on the hot seat in part for wasting so much of owner Pat Bowlen’s money. If Shanahan backs off from Benson, then we’ll conclude that Shanahan realizes that he could be in trouble.

This BS article was written 3 weeks ago. If we, or anyone else for that matter was interested in him, he would be gone.
He'll probably get signed closer to training camp or if someone needs an injury repacement before the season.

There is no doubt that Benson has some talent however, he's never really shown it. What he has shown is his ability to be stupid and his ability to be dis liked by his own team mates.

Boss, sorry buddy, you're losing this one.

slim
06-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Boss, I understand where you're coming from...but you need to take Rod out of that sentence :tsk:

slim
06-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes i did mean kevinjones

whoever said lamont jordan has it roght though. I would LOVE to see jordan here. That man is a good runningback. I dont care how bad his back is- he would do very very well here.

To bad we couldnt have traded walker to davis for jordan, he would have gotten walker cheaper then he did too.

Ahh well, davis is a fool and broncos rule.

Lamont Jordan sucks out loud.

I agree with you about Kevin Jones though. He is a good player, injury prone to be sure, but a good player.

DenBronx
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM

exactly my thoughts. i like the direction that shanahan is taking on getting high character guys.

benson imo can do no more on the field then selvin young is going to be able to do next year and we already have pittman for short yardage. so i really dont even see the logic in getting another rb at this point. im more interested in seeing torain get some playing time.

good for discussion though boss on a slow offseason lately. i always enjoy your post.

Simple Jaded
06-27-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree with you about Kevin Jones though. He is a good player, injury prone to be sure, but a good player.

Well, he's no Ryan Torain, but then again, who is?......

WARHORSE
06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Boooooooooooo BENSON.

HOOORAY BEER!:beer:

Lonestar
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
What the heck I'll vote for Benson can;t be any worse than most of mikeys stiffs.. As long as he is on a short leash and we get concession in his contract about misconduct..

Could add some depth to this team maybe even some top talent..

Must be two against 50 or so.. I've got your back Boss not sure you want me on your team but..to late now..

WARHORSE
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Boooooooooooo BENSON.

HOOORAY BEER!:beer:

Repeat above.

jrelway
06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
bring in either kevin jones, benson, or lamont. let them rush for 1200-1500 yards in our system, then trade their asses for early draft picks. this is what we always do anyways aint it?

56crash
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
People will knock him for his DUI, but it was his 1st incident and he was very commited to getting in shape this season. Cedric Benson measured 5'11/216 at the Bears' offseason weigh-in back in the end of May. He was reported to be running good and that his weight loss helped him gain some burst back that he showed in college. Yes, he went and got in trouble, but he doesn't have a history like some of the other players we've had and he is still young. He wouldn't be a risk at all because he will be dirt cheap. We are in the position to gamble at this position given that we have some depth. If Benson doesn't impress.. cut him... no big deal really. Why not give him a shot?

so what your saying is he got fat and lazy and now that his ass was about to get tossed he tryed to actual care ...nope i DON'T THINK THAT IS WHAT COACH IS AFTER... no more turds

MOtorboat
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
What the heck I'll vote for Benson can;t be any worse than most of mikeys stiffs.. As long as he is on a short leash and we get concession in his contract about misconduct..

Could add some depth to this team maybe even some top talent..

Must be two against 50 or so.. I've got your back Boss not sure you want me on your team but..to late now..

I'm just curious how you can say Torain is a "stiff" when he hasn't even been on the field.

For that matter. None of our guys are stiffs.

Scarface
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Lets bring in a drunk a-hole. Just great.

Lonestar
06-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm just curious how you can say Torain is a "stiff" when he hasn't even been on the field.

For that matter. None of our guys are stiffs.

most of mikeys daft choices in the past were indeed stiffs. but you are correct he has not seen the light of game day yet..

MY post was more tongue in cheek than anything.. Sorry you did not catch it that way..

What the heck should have been your first clue.. :salute:

BroncoJoe
06-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Boss, I greatly respect your football acumen and scouting abilities.

However, sometimes you seem to go a bit overboard.

Northman
06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Quite honestly its not Benson's DUI's that really have me worried (for the most part). But its his calling out teamates and general chemistry with them. He just sounds like a bitter pill (ala Javon Walker) that if things start to not go his way he will create drama in the lockeroom and quite honestly we dont need anymore of that.

BOSSHOGG30
06-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Boss, I greatly respect your football acumen and scouting abilities.

However, sometimes you seem to go a bit overboard.

:D I do what I can... it is the off-season...someone has to spice it up a bit. :beer:

BOSSHOGG30
06-28-2008, 07:17 AM
This is a good thread to show how some people can get pretty mean with their own brother or fellow Bronco friend.

jrelway
06-28-2008, 09:24 AM

lamont jordan does not suck. the raiders suck. the raiders O line sucks. their qb's suck so opposing defenses didnt have to play the pass.. i bet if lamont were on the broncos, he'd out rush every one of our RB's..yes, even unproven ryan torain.

underrated29
06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
yes joradn is no flake. He tore it up in backup duty behind curtis martin on a crappy jets. With oakland before he got hurt i think he was putting up 100 yards games left and right. Their line still sucks and so do they, but jordan does well in a zbs. IN fact so does huggy bears kid.

Whats his name...........fargas, justin fargas is not the good of a rb. HE is wwaayyy overrated this year, esp for fantasy. But dont tell anyone that. It just means people will take him early over the other people i want.

Anyone out there remember what fargas's numbers were the last couple years before the '07 season? Not sure many do, a lot of people probably dont even remember him being there. He was, he sucked. He did a lot better when they moved to the zbs, but i just dont see that continueing this year.

jrelway
06-28-2008, 09:36 AM
yup..this is why al davis does not want lamont to come to the broncos..he knows what time it is. give the faders mike bell and michael pittman for lamont straight up..i wouldnt mind one bit.

nevcraw
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Najeh Davenport was released by the steelers. He's as good as the rest of the clowns mentioned in this thread if not better. Not so sure shanny will bring in anyone else though hopefully he feels very good about the group he has..

Northman
06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
This is a good thread to show how some people can get pretty mean with their own brother or fellow Bronco friend.

Its just tough love Boss. :beer::D

Sassy
06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Just say NO!

Bill Devaroe
06-28-2008, 08:25 PM
cerdc benson ids an abiloute stud. this guy can ballimo. He would be like terrel davis I think. With him and Stokley we could regain the nlf crown,

Cutler needs a big back like Mike Ball or Ced Benson to trow out of the backfield to.
He would be a star

Sassy
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Why bring in Cedric...we already have to deal with Brandon Marshall and possibly Pittman.

Northman
06-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Why bring in Cedric...we already have to deal with Brandon Marshall and possibly Pittman.

Possibly Pittman? Pittman hasnt been in trouble in over 4 years. :lol:

NameUsedBefore
06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Cedric Benson is a flop.

No reason for the Broncos to linger in the past looking at his college resume thinking there's still potential when other running backs on the Bears did just fine.

Jwalk - JayCutty6Goes - CasinoRoyal
06-29-2008, 12:48 AM
if he is going to ruin the chemistry that we have then i will pass. The only thing that worries me is the **His teammates never liking him for a fact** part. that worries me. So im going to say ill pass.

06-29-2008, 12:49 AM
And for the team that has brung in nothing but classy guys this off season i doubt were going to bring in a guy who cant get along with his team. Do we need another Walker or Griese?

DenverBronkHoes
06-29-2008, 01:13 AM
anyone with his talent coupled behind the Denver O-line will be somewhat successful. He's worth a small shot if he can come cheap and with incentives, like not getting into anymore trouble....

His toughness and character are the obvious issues... Some guys need a change of scenery before they figure it all out. Basically, Benson is in control of where he goes as a RB in the NFL.... Chicago's offense was nothing to rant about.... i know i remember seeing him knock guys on their faces and continue pumping the legs.....

interesting

Shanny is using up his "character issue" mulligans quickly these days....

BOSSHOGG30
06-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I would be shocked if our team is good this year. We have way too many holes to fill and we really do lack talent. The talent we do have all has question marks. I'm sorry guys and gals... it may be a long year this year.

omac
06-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I think the best thing that could happen to Benson is to make some team's practice squad. He would then be virtually risk free, as they could cut him if he has any more off field incidents. He can then prove himself and get a fresh start. He's still very young, so he could rebound from this.

ktrain
06-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Certainly would be no worse than pittman IMO (pittman has probably less talent, and a more checkered past, but more desire)

The question is could you bring him in on a vet minimum with no signing bonus??

BOSSHOGG30
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
If you guys don't want Benson... maybe you will be more accepting to my next character issue player.....

Adarius Bowman!

Northman
06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
If you guys don't want Benson... maybe you will be more accepting to my next character issue player.....

Adarius Bowman!

Who? :lol:

Simple Jaded
06-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Adarius Bowman!

Why not?

I'd rather entertain these ideas than pretend that the Broncos are all of a sudden above signing players with issues......

06-30-2008, 01:50 AM
So on a team that BossHogg thinks wil struggle this year he wants to add a guy with horrible character to a losing locker room. Yeah that makes sense.... And where exactly are the Broncos so weak at? Safety? I dont see all the holes Boss speaks of. I see alot of talent everywhere other than Safety..

Simple Jaded
06-30-2008, 01:52 AM
So on a team that BossHogg thinks wil struggle this year he wants to add a guy with horrible character to a losing locker room. Yeah that makes sense.... And where exactly are the Broncos so weak at? Safety? I dont see all the holes Boss speaks of. I see alot of talent everywhere other than Safety..

I see a lot of talent too, a lot of average talent......

06-30-2008, 02:51 AM
I see a lot of talent too, a lot of average talent......

I see a young stronger OL, I see a Franchise QB who can make all the throws, I see a deep WR core thats proven, I see 2 tight ends that can get the job done. I see a TON of potential on the DL and there all young. I see a very talented LB core in DJ ((proven)) And Niko who has been waiting for this moment his whole career. Boss Bailey who seems to be healthy again. I see were 5 deep at CB, So where exactly is all these holes???

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 08:15 AM
I see a young stronger OL, I see a Franchise QB who can make all the throws, I see a deep WR core thats proven, I see 2 tight ends that can get the job done. I see a TON of potential on the DL and there all young. I see a very talented LB core in DJ ((proven)) And Niko who has been waiting for this moment his whole career. Boss Bailey who seems to be healthy again. I see were 5 deep at CB, So where exactly is all these holes???

Safety, Linebacker, Running back, Wide receiver, defensive line.

Safety... Unproven talent and old man Lynch who loses another step every year.

Linebacker... unproven MLB manning the middle of our defense, and an injury prone SAM linebacker in Boss Bailey... behind these guys we have minimum depth at best.

Running back... All injury prone or coming off of surgery and unproven. Don't really have a go to guy at this position. We are hopeful that Pittman or Torain can be the short yardage back we are desperate for. Who knows what they can do especially Pittman who is way past the age mark that power backs start their decline.

Receiver... Marshall is our stud, but how many games will he play this year... Stokely and Royal are slot receivers... we don't have anyone scary at the #2 position. Maybe someone will surprise and step up... but regardless it is a question of if... not a good thing to have coming into a new season.

Defensive line... new system, lots of youth, and injury prone players. Robertson could go down any minute, who knows with his knee condition, and what do we have behind him that is ready to make a stand? DT is a real weak position right now. DE is better, but we have too many one dimensional players.

SOCALORADO.
06-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Safety, Linebacker, Running back, Wide receiver, defensive line.

Safety... Unproven talent and old man Lynch who loses another step every year.

Linebacker... unproven MLB manning the middle of our defense, and an injury prone SAM linebacker in Boss Bailey... behind these guys we have minimum depth at best.

Running back... All injury prone or coming off of surgery and unproven. Don't really have a go to guy at this position. We are hopeful that Pittman or Torain can be the short yardage back we are desperate for. Who knows what they can do especially Pittman who is way past the age mark that power backs start their decline.

Receiver... Marshall is our stud, but how many games will he play this year... Stokely and Royal are slot receivers... we don't have anyone scary at the #2 position. Maybe someone will surprise and step up... but regardless it is a question of if... not a good thing to have coming into a new season.

Defensive line... new system, lots of youth, and injury prone players. Robertson could go down any minute, who knows with his knee condition, and what do we have behind him that is ready to make a stand? DT is a real weak position right now. DE is better, but we have too many one dimensional players.

hey, dont be soo hard on Marlon McCree!
Jeez, give the guy a chance in DEN.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
hey, dont be soo hard on Marlon McCree!
Jeez, give the guy a chance in DEN.

McCree was an average safety with the Chargers and he had a dominate defensive line and very good linebackers to help the secondary look better than it really is. We have Champ and Bly and they still get burnt because we don't have the type of production the Chargers get out for their defensive front. I can't imagine McCree doing that well with the Broncos if he was only average with the Chargers.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Hopefully Taylor Mays is available at the 17 spot next year.

broncogirl7
06-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Shanahan is hopefully smarter than this and will not sign Cedric. He has a pattern of "bad" behavior and that's the last thing we need on the team.

Shanahan's words for T. Henry should fall right in line with Cedric.
“He's just too inconsistent as a person. When you're too inconsistent as a person, you usually aren't going to win championships,” Shanahan said during a spring workout later in the day.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Shanahan is hopefully smarter than this and will not sign Cedric. He has a pattern of "bad" behavior and that's the last thing we need on the team.

Shanahan's words for T. Henry should fall right in line with Cedric.
“He's just too inconsistent as a person. When you're too inconsistent as a person, you usually aren't going to win championships,” Shanahan said during a spring workout later in the day.

Benson has a pattern of "Bad" behavior?

He got a DUI coming home from his mother’s party... the other the police used unnecessary force in a false arrest, documented by numerous witnesses and this is pending in court. So for all we know he has one DUI. What other "bad" behavior stories do you have for us to back up this claim? Until this off-season, Benson has been on great behavior... he is a 1st time offender.

SOCALORADO.
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Hopefully Taylor Mays is available at the 17 spot next year.

Ooh! Taylor is damn good. Hopefully Barrett pans out, and DEN can get EITHER of the Safeties from USC. Kevin Ellison is a absolutely great SS, and will go no later than the 2nd round. He can also play FS as well. Ellisons the real big hitter, much like Atwater in hitting ability. Hes referred to as "Evil" Ellison in these parts.
Pair up either of them with Barrett (as long as he pans out), and suddenly DEN has a great secondary.

Lonestar
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Benson has a pattern of "Bad" behavior?

He got a DUI coming home from his mother’s party... the other the police used unnecessary force in a false arrest, documented by numerous witnesses and this is pending in court. So for all we know he has one DUI. What other "bad" behavior stories do you have for us to back up this claim? Until this off-season, Benson has been on great behavior... he is a 1st time offender.

If we could bring him in with a cap friendly contract and a good conduct clause in it he would up grade a what is IMO a lackluster group of RB, certainly would not be a downgrade..

He was a superb RB @ UT, a worthy top Draft choice. Did not go to the best of "teams" a change of scenery could be what he needs.. If he bombs cut his ass and not be hurt..

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
If we could bring him in with a cap friendly contract and a good conduct clause in it he would up grade a what is IMO a lackluster group of RB, certainly would not be a downgrade..

He was a superb RB @ UT, a worthy top Draft choice. Did not go to the best of "teams" a change of scenery could be what he needs.. If he bombs cut his ass and not be hurt..

Exactly... the risk versus reward is in our favor! :beer:

Arkansas Bronco
06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Its just tough love Boss. :beer::D

He better be glad this isnt the mane. If you call this tough you have no idea how wild it can get over there.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Ooh! Taylor is damn good. Hopefully Barrett pans out, and DEN can get EITHER of the Safeties from USC. Kevin Ellison is a absolutely great SS, and will go no later than the 2nd round. He can also play FS as well. Ellisons the real big hitter, much like Atwater in hitting ability. Hes referred to as "Evil" Ellison in these parts.
Pair up either of them with Barrett (as long as he pans out), and suddenly DEN has a great secondary.

We can't go wrong with the safety talent next year....

Taylor Mays, Myron Rolle, William Moore, Patrick Chung, Michael Hamlin, and one of my personal favorites... Anthony Scirrotto

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
He better be glad this isnt the mane. If you call this tough you have no idea how wild it can get over there.

Forums > Mane

Arkansas Bronco
06-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Forums > Mane

I like em both. :D

broncogirl7
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
He admitted his guilt of drinking and driving, but then said he didn't commit a crime. Come on Cedric. Three injury prone seasons would also be a concern.
If the Broncos decided to give him a chance, there would definately have to be a strict "behavior" clause with no second chances. Break it once and you are out. He should've learned his lessons with the Bears and should be expected to make NO further "bad judgement" calls. I am still happy with our running back situation and believe we need to be more optimistic about our current running backs.

Bears waive Benson following 2nd arrest
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
Jun 9, 8:09 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintLAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)—The Chicago Bears thought Cedric Benson would be their next great running back. He’ll instead go down as one of their biggest disappointments.

The Bears waived Benson on Monday after his second alcohol-related arrest in a month, ending a rocky three-season tenure in which he failed to live up to expectations after starring at Texas.

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions.”

The troubled running back, who didn’t participate in organized team activities Monday after telling the Chicago Tribune he would, issued an apology through sports attorney David Cornwell while maintaining his innocence.

“I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th,” Benson said in a statement. “Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment. Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology.”
The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane’s Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.
“When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team,” Angelo said. “Those who fail to understand the importance of ‘team’ will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

Benson’s rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

He was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Benson’s agent Eugene Parker did not return calls seeking comment, but his attorney, Sam Bassett in Austin, said Monday he was disappointed the Bears waived Benson so quickly. Although Bassett said he believes Benson to be innocent of DWI, “he knows he made a mistake going out drinking and driving.”

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner, but didn’t think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would “probably be in trouble with his team.”

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett, however, said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn’t speeding or driving recklessly.

Bassett also said Benson offered to provide police a blood sample for testing and believes video of the arrest will show his client did well in the field sobriety test, although he hasn’t seen it yet.

Texas law allows a driver to take a blood or breath test for alcohol content, Bassett said. When Benson offered to take a blood test, the arresting officer told him he’d have to take a breath test, which Benson refused, Bassett said.

Bassett said he has requested a copy of Benson’s arrest videotape and hoped to watch it with a representative of the NFL and or the Bears, as early as this week.

“They pulled the trigger early,” Bassett said of the Bears. “It’s a disappointment to me.”

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson hasn’t lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis—an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.
With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

“I’m not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent,” Forte said before Benson was waived. “I believe that I can come in and play.”

AP Sports Writer Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas, contributed to this report.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
He admitted his guilt of drinking and driving, but then said he didn't commit a crime. Come on Cedric. Three injury prone seasons would also be a concern.
If the Broncos decided to give him a chance, there would definately have to be a strict "behavior" clause with no second chances. Break it once and you are out. He should've learned his lessons with the Bears and should be expected to make NO further "bad judgement" calls. I am still happy with our running back situation and believe we need to be more optimistic about our current running backs.

Bears waive Benson following 2nd arrest
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
Jun 9, 8:09 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintLAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)—The Chicago Bears thought Cedric Benson would be their next great running back. He’ll instead go down as one of their biggest disappointments.

The Bears waived Benson on Monday after his second alcohol-related arrest in a month, ending a rocky three-season tenure in which he failed to live up to expectations after starring at Texas.

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions.”

The troubled running back, who didn’t participate in organized team activities Monday after telling the Chicago Tribune he would, issued an apology through sports attorney David Cornwell while maintaining his innocence.

“I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th,” Benson said in a statement. “Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment. Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology.”
The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane’s Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.
“When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team,” Angelo said. “Those who fail to understand the importance of ‘team’ will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

Benson’s rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

He was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Benson’s agent Eugene Parker did not return calls seeking comment, but his attorney, Sam Bassett in Austin, said Monday he was disappointed the Bears waived Benson so quickly. Although Bassett said he believes Benson to be innocent of DWI, “he knows he made a mistake going out drinking and driving.”

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner, but didn’t think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would “probably be in trouble with his team.”

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett, however, said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn’t speeding or driving recklessly.

Bassett also said Benson offered to provide police a blood sample for testing and believes video of the arrest will show his client did well in the field sobriety test, although he hasn’t seen it yet.

Texas law allows a driver to take a blood or breath test for alcohol content, Bassett said. When Benson offered to take a blood test, the arresting officer told him he’d have to take a breath test, which Benson refused, Bassett said.

Bassett said he has requested a copy of Benson’s arrest videotape and hoped to watch it with a representative of the NFL and or the Bears, as early as this week.

“They pulled the trigger early,” Bassett said of the Bears. “It’s a disappointment to me.”

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson hasn’t lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis—an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.
With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

“I’m not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent,” Forte said before Benson was waived. “I believe that I can come in and play.”

AP Sports Writer Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas, contributed to this report.

So like we said before... two arrests... both under investigation... The DWI -boating incident - will probably be thrown out because of witnesses and such, the DUI may also be thrown out because of technicality...Guilty or not, these are his only two mistakes... Not really a history of problems.

lex
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Exactly... the risk versus reward is in our favor! :beer:

What reward?

turftoad
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
So like we said before... two arrests... both under investigation... The DWI -boating incident - will probably be thrown out because of witnesses and such, the DUI may also be thrown out because of technicality...Guilty or not, these are his only two mistakes... Not really a history of problems.

I'm not even so mush worried about his arrests other than he'll probably be suspended by the league.
The part that bothers me is that he's a ME guy. He can't seem to get along with his own teammates. Whines, cries and is a distraction to his team.

We don't need that right now. We just got rid of a couple guys just like that.
There is no doubt he's a talent. But thats not all he would bring to Denver.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
A look at what Benson did in 2006.. because I think many people forget how he out performed Thomas Jones and gave the Bears offense a very good running back before the decline in 2007 when the O-line stunk, the QB play got even worse, and the wide receiver play was just horrible.....

After the 2005 season, the Bears considered making Benson the team's feature running back after Thomas Jones was unhappy with his current contract status. The team's plans went astray when Benson injured his shoulder after colliding with Brian Urlacher during a routine scrimmage. Although the injury was not serious, it placed Benson on the sidelines for a majority of the preseason.

Although Benson fully recovered from his injury, Lovie Smith selected Jones as the Bears' starter. Benson scored his first two touchdowns during week five of the 2006 NFL season, against the Buffalo Bills. In a game against the New England Patriots during week twelve of the 2006 Chicago Bears season, Benson collided with linebacker Junior Seau, causing Seau to fall down and fracture his forearm.

Days later, Benson challenged Lovie Smith’s coaching by remarking, "the NFL is not like high school or college, but the best players don't always get on the field." [10] The following week, Benson out rushed Jones and scored a vital touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings. He began to receive more carries as the weeks progressed, and managed to rush for over 100 yards against the Green Bay Packers.

Benson became the Bears' secondary running back again during the playoffs. In the 2006 NFC Championship Game against the New Orleans Saints, Benson scored a fourth quarter touchdown and totaled 60 yards. Though he was given a majority of the team's carries, his counterpart, Jones, amassed two touchdowns and 123 rushing yards.[11] In the team's following game, Super Bowl XLI, Benson sustained a knee injury in the first half, and missed the remainder of the game.

lex
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not even so mush worried about his arrests other than he'll probably be suspended by the league.
The part that bothers me is that he's a ME guy. He can't seem to get along with his own teammates. Whines, cries and is a distraction to his team.

We don't need that right now. We just got rid of a couple guys just like that.
There is no doubt he's a talent. But thats not all he would bring to Denver.

I realize he had a lot of yards in college but considering he played for Texas and in most games his OL outmanned the other team, his average per carry should have been higher than what it was, which was around 5.0. Thats basically a red flag that the guy doesnt have enough speed or at the very least, enough of a burst. Ive always wondered whether or not Chicago drafted him because Lovie is from Texas and liked him. Big mistake taking that dude as high as they did.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM

Lovie Smith named Benson as the Bears' starting running back after the team traded Thomas Jones to the New York Jets. Benson struggled throughout the preseason, but received enough support from his teammates and coaches to retain his starting position. (I thought his team mates didn't like him, funny how that changed after Thomas Jones left town)

NorthernLights
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I had Benson on my fantasy team last year and thought he was poised for a big year since Thomas was signed by the Jets and he was going to be the feature back. Basically, he was useless. He wouldn't hit the holes with any type of speed, he would go down on the first contact, and he wasn't a threat to catch the ball either.

B U S T in my humble opinion.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I realize he had a lot of yards in college but considering he played for Texas and in most games his OL outmanned the other team, his average per carry should have been higher than what it was, which was around 5.0. Thats basically a red flag that the guy doesnt have enough speed or at the very least, enough of a burst. Ive always wondered whether or not Chicago drafted him because Lovie is from Texas and liked him. Big mistake taking that dude as high as they did.

He ran a 4.51 forty at the combine... It was reported that he was running well this off-season and that he lost weight to build up more speed. He was down from 220-225 to 215

He has deceptive speed and is just as fast if not faster than Torain.

broncogirl7
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Benson hasn't lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry. No matter the excuses...bad O-line, quarterback, injuries, or whatever...we don't need it.

Buff
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM

All legal problems aside-- what I don't like about Benson (aside from injuries and lack of production in the NFL) are the rumors of teammates despising him and deliberately trying to hurt him in practice...

I think someone already posted it, but here's what Jay Glazer said:
“There was one guy on that team who those teammates never liked…Hell, one year they tried to hurt him to make sure Thomas Jones could be the starter…Guys would go right at him because there was a competition between him and Thomas…and the thought was to get the first round pick into the starting lineup and Thomas’ teammates didn’t want to see that happen.”

The last thing the Broncos need is to bring in another guy with a mediocre work ethic and controversy surrounding him. In previous years, the locker room may have been able to endure it. But not this year.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I had Benson on my fantasy team last year and thought he was poised for a big year since Thomas was signed by the Jets and he was going to be the feature back. Basically, he was useless. He wouldn't hit the holes with any type of speed, he would go down on the first contact, and he wasn't a threat to catch the ball either.

B U S T in my humble opinion.

You need to watch the video on page one... you are spreading lies... If you see the video he hit the holes hard.. there just wasn't any holes.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Lovie Smith named Benson as the Bears' starting running back after the team traded Thomas Jones to the New York Jets. Benson struggled throughout the preseason, but received enough support from his teammates and coaches to retain his starting position. (I thought his team mates didn't like him, funny how that changed after Thomas Jones left town)

Boss, I don't remember where the article is but a former Bear (that played with Benson) said his teammates hated him so bad that they tried to injure him during practice.
Not much love there.

You know I love ya man but boy, when you jump on a RB bandwagon you go all out. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Benson is garb. Gaaaaaaaarb.

BOSSHOGG30
All legal problems aside-- what I don't like about Benson (aside from injuries and lack of production in the NFL) are the rumors of teammates despising him and deliberately trying to hurt him in practice...

I think someone already posted it, but here's what Jay Glazer said:

The last thing the Broncos need is to bring in another guy with a mediocre work ethic and controversy surrounding him. In previous years, the locker room may have been able to endure it. But not this year.

Lol... Yeah ok... lose games you will see the great locker room that we have become a little unstable... win games it's a different story... I don't care what team you are... locker room enviroment changes greatly depending on how well the team is doing.

Also, I love how Benson is the guy that isn't liked by Chicago Bears defensive players when Thomas Jones was in town. Thomas Jones is the one who sucker punched Benson during practice. Urlacher was the one who tried to hurt Benson during a practice, yet Benson is the bad guy. Just because you don't like someone because they are different or they are drafted to take your job, doesn't give you the right to hurt that player or treat him as an outcast. Sorry guys, but Benson may have been wrong with his recent illegal drinking problems, but I don't see how the team thing is his fault. I just don't see how just because he didn't fit in with a bunch of thugs how that is a bad thing.

turftoad
Boss, I don't remember where the article is but a former Bear (that played with Benson) said his teammates hated him so bad that they tried to injure him during practice.
Not much love there.

You know I love ya man but boy, when you jump on a RB bandwagon you go all out. :D

For what it's worth, I found it.

I don't totally believe it either but there's got to be some kind of truth to it. I remember when it was happening.

HAYNES SOUNDS OFF ON CEDRIC
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2008, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Apparently, it takes a failed first-round pick of the Jerry Angelo era in Chicago to know one.

Michael Haynes, a flame-out of a first-rounder from 2003 at defensive end, has spoken out regarding running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in 2005.

”Cedric has always been lazy,” Haynes said. ”Cedric was lazy when he first got to Chicago, and I guarantee you he is lazy now. It’s the work ethic that a lot of teammates didn’t like. When I was there and things didn’t work out, I always showed up and I always worked hard. I tried really hard, and I never complained.

”He was cutting a lot of corners in the weight room, and guys notice that,” Haynes said. ”He was never cut, and that was one of those things that surprised a lot of people when he first got there. You expect someone to be cut up a little bit, but the fact that he wasn’t came to show you, at least us, that there was an issue here. Running backs, you’re supposed to be cut.”

Haynes also admits that he was the source of a story regarding Benson leaving Soldier Field at the start of a 2006 preseason game against the Chargers. Players believed that Benson was protected by his draft status, and by the money that went with it.

“That’s the way it was,” Haynes said. ”As an organization, I realized they had a lot of money invested in Ced, and they couldn’t get rid of him right away. You knew he wasn’t going to change. Everyone thought I was being too judgmental too early. I’m like, ‘Look, people don’t change. They are who they are.”’

Hayne was cut by the Bears in 2006, and is now out of football. Unclaimed on waivers, Benson might be, too.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Not much love there.

Yeah, I posted it... I was telling you the story on why and how this whole Chicago Bears don't like Benson...

Basically, the Thomas Jones didn't like Benson. They never had a good relationship... Thomas Jones sucker punched Benson during practice and had a lot of friends on the team that treated Benson with a less than friendly welcome upon arrival. The media asked Benson about his relationship with Thomas Jones and about the little incident and Benson said to the public how he felt about Thomas Jones... Well this didn't make Jones or his little possy happy and ever since then some of the defensive players, like Urlacher, Briggs, and some other guys tried to hurt him during practices.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I posted it... I was telling you the story on why and how this whole Chicago Bears don't like Benson...

Basically, the Thomas Jones didn't like Benson. They never had a good relationship... Thomas Jones sucker punched Benson during practice and had a lot of friends on the team that treated Benson with a less than friendly welcome upon arrival. The media asked Benson about his relationship with Thomas Jones and about the little incident and Benson said to the public how he felt about Thomas Jones... Well this didn't make Jones or his little possy happy and ever since then some of the defensive players, like Urlacher, Briggs, and some other guys tried to hurt him during practices.

I have a hard time excepting that it was ONLY the Thomas Jones thing that caused his OTHER teammates to dis like him.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a hard time excepting that it was ONLY the Thomas Jones thing that caused his OTHER teammates to dis like him.

And what is your theory on what Benson did exactly to get such a great welcome from Thomas Jones and a few individuals on the Bears defense?

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
For what it's worth, I found it.

I don't totally believe it either but there's got to be some kind of truth to it. I remember when it was happening.

HAYNES SOUNDS OFF ON CEDRIC
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2008, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Apparently, it takes a failed first-round pick of the Jerry Angelo era in Chicago to know one.

Michael Haynes, a flame-out of a first-rounder from 2003 at defensive end, has spoken out regarding running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in 2005.

”Cedric has always been lazy,” Haynes said. ”Cedric was lazy when he first got to Chicago, and I guarantee you he is lazy now. It’s the work ethic that a lot of teammates didn’t like. When I was there and things didn’t work out, I always showed up and I always worked hard. I tried really hard, and I never complained.

”He was cutting a lot of corners in the weight room, and guys notice that,” Haynes said. ”He was never cut, and that was one of those things that surprised a lot of people when he first got there. You expect someone to be cut up a little bit, but the fact that he wasn’t came to show you, at least us, that there was an issue here. Running backs, you’re supposed to be cut.”

Haynes also admits that he was the source of a story regarding Benson leaving Soldier Field at the start of a 2006 preseason game against the Chargers. Players believed that Benson was protected by his draft status, and by the money that went with it.

“That’s the way it was,” Haynes said. ”As an organization, I realized they had a lot of money invested in Ced, and they couldn’t get rid of him right away. You knew he wasn’t going to change. Everyone thought I was being too judgmental too early. I’m like, ‘Look, people don’t change. They are who they are.”’

Hayne was cut by the Bears in 2006, and is now out of football. Unclaimed on waivers, Benson might be, too.

This story is funny because you can find stories talking about how he came in this season the best shape of his career and that he lost weight and showed up to camp at 216 lbs and was running very well. You can also find storys about how his team mates supported him last season despite all the bad media attention regarding his inconsistant rushing out put. Goes to show you can't believe everything you read these days. I will tell you one thing... I can't find one picture of Benson that shows him looking anything other than a nice built running back. He looks no different from his college days and he was pretty cut then.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
And what is your theory on what Benson did exactly to get such a great welcome from Thomas Jones and a few individuals on the Bears defense?

I agree with you. There was a problem there. Maybe Benson didn't handle it very well. Maybe he just may have an attitude.
Why.... would defensive players not like him??

Buff
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Lol... Yeah ok... lose games you will see the great locker room that we have become a little unstable... win games it's a different story... I don't care what team you are... locker room enviroment changes greatly depending on how well the team is doing.

Also, I love how Benson is the guy that isn't liked by Chicago Bears defensive players when Thomas Jones was in town. Thomas Jones is the one who sucker punched Benson during practice. Urlacher was the one who tried to hurt Benson during a practice, yet Benson is the bad guy. Just because you don't like someone because they are different or they are drafted to take your job, doesn't give you the right to hurt that player or treat him as an outcast. Sorry guys, but Benson may have been wrong with his recent illegal drinking problems, but I don't see how the team thing is his fault. I just don't see how just because he didn't fit in with a bunch of thugs how that is a bad thing.

You're right that winning and losing can make all the difference in terms of locker room morale. However, the rumors about the Bears not liking Benson would have been before last year while they were winning alot of games... So, in theory, even a unified happy locker room didn't like him then... And while Urlacher is alot of things, I wouldn't really say he fits the bill of a "thug."

Granted, whether or not some of the the Bears players didn't like Benson shouldn't be a deal breaker on bringing him in-- But when you add everything up (marginal production + injury history + legal problems + character & work ethich question marks). Why take a chance? I don't see his upside outweighing out the negatives personally... But that's just my opinion.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
There is no upside Buff, that's the point.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 12:13 PM
You're right that winning and losing can make all the difference in terms of locker room morale. However, the rumors about the Bears not liking Benson would have been before last year while they were winning alot of games... So, in theory, even a unified happy locker room didn't like him then... And while Urlacher is alot of things, I wouldn't really say he fits the bill of a "thug."

Granted, whether or not some of the the Bears players didn't like Benson shouldn't be a deal breaker on bringing him in-- But when you add everything up (marginal production + injury history + legal problems + character & work ethich question marks). Why take a chance? I don't see his upside outweighing out the negatives personally... But that's just my opinion.

Lol, I'm telling you what happened people... The story I listed is not a fake! During the winning years... Thomas Jones did not get along with Benson... he punched him in the face.... Many of the defensive players were also against Benson because Thomas Jones had a little possy there from the years he was a Bear. It only grew worse when the media asked Benson about his little encounter with Jones and Benson pretty much let the entire world know that he and Jones don't like eachother. Well since that day, the defensive players were out to get Benson. They tried to hurt him in practices.

As for locker room moral... everyone thinks we are fine now, but wait till we start losing games... Don't be surprised if some names get called out...Coaches, players, it is bound to happen.

lex
06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
He ran a 4.51 forty at the combine... It was reported that he was running well this off-season and that he lost weight to build up more speed. He was down from 220-225 to 215

He has deceptive speed and is just as fast if not faster than Torain.

Its not really deceptive as much as its running a 4.51 in shorts but running a 4.8 when hitting the hole.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Its not really deceptive as much as its running a 4.51 in shorts but running a 4.8 when hitting the hole.

Watch the video posted on page 1 of this thread... If you think Benson isn't running hard or hitting the anti-holes the Bears provided you don't know how to watch football film.

Also... Maybe you read somewhere how a guy named Junior Seau fractured his arm and fell over because a guy named Cedric Benson ran him over. Benson must really be moving slow and lacking power to manage something like that.

DenBronx
06-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Watch the video posted on page 1 of this thread... If you think Benson isn't running hard or hitting the anti-holes the Bears provided you don't know how to watch football film.

Also... Maybe you read somewhere how a guy named Junior Seau fractured his arm and fell over because a guy named Cedric Benson ran him over. Benson must really be moving slow and lacking power to manage something like that.

how old is seau again? :coffee:

lex
06-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Lol, I'm telling you what happened people... The story I listed is not a fake! During the winning years... Thomas Jones did not get along with Benson... he punched him in the face.... Many of the defensive players were also against Benson because Thomas Jones had a little possy there from the years he was a Bear. It only grew worse when the media asked Benson about his little encounter with Jones and Benson pretty much let the entire world know that he and Jones don't like eachother. Well since that day, the defensive players were out to get Benson. They tried to hurt him in practices.

As for locker room moral... everyone thinks we are fine now, but wait till we start losing games... Don't be surprised if some names get called out...Coaches, players, it is bound to happen.

I live in Chicago so Ive seen plenty of Benson during his time with the Bears. And Ive also seen him put the blame at the feet of others when he didnt do well...and that was last year, with Jones no longer in the picture. Its probably worth considering that Benson gave people enough reasons to dislike him, with or without Thomas Jones.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 12:25 PM

It was up to Benson to get along with Thomas Jones. Not the other way around. Jones was the Vet. Benson was the Rook.

I still don't believe this was ALL the problem.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I live in Chicago so Ive seen plenty of Benson during his time with the Bears. And Ive also seen him put the blame at the feet of others when he didnt do well...and that was last year, with Jones no longer in the picture. Its probably worth considering that Benson gave people enough reasons to dislike him, with or without Thomas Jones.

Exactly.........

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Lex FTW.

lex
06-30-2008, 12:30 PM

. And I said previously, Ive seen several Bears games over the past couple of years and overall, the guy doesnt run hard. Its great that you found a highlight reel but Ive actually seen the other 99% of his runs that werent all that great.

Like I said, Ive seen pratically all of the Bears games (since theyre always on and also because they play early) and my over all impression is that he sucks...he sucks a lot.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 12:37 PM
how old is seau again? :coffee:

You laugh, but Seau is a good linebacker... he may not be at the level he once was, but this happened about a year or two ago, and Seau was still doing a very good job with the Patriots. He understands leverage and he knows how to take on bigger backs... But Benson got the best of him. It may not be as impressive as running over a guy like Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, but it is still impressive to say the least and goes to show that Benson is running hard and isn't the slouch some people make him out to be... I watched a lot of film on Benson.... College and pro.. I can truely say that I don't see him slacking much if at all on any of his runs. Sometimes you do wonder how he gets tripped up so easy, but I think it is because he is trying so hard to get power behind his runs that he loses some balance. For the most part Benson ran very hard and won most of his battles... Very hard to bring down with one tackler.

I really think too many people buy into hype and rumors that they don't form their own opinion. Watch the tape and make an honest opinion.... this is all I ask... if you still don't think he could be successful in Orange and Blue then that is your honest and pure opinion and I respect that. I've formed mine and i'm not afraid to back it up. My opinion is in no way affected by a few bad plays posted over and over again on Youtube or an exteam mate that may have called him out for a personal grudge or feelings.

The tape does not lie. I saw a very good back in 2006. I really do believe he out performed Thomas Jones in 2006. Both backs had a rough time even then because the o-line was average, the QB play was horrible, and defenses stacked the box. For both backs to do what they did in 2006 was something else. In 2007 it got worse for the Bears... the offensive line was no longer average it was below average, the QB play was worse than before, which is really bad, and the defense continued to stack the box. I don't see too many back in the NFL who can put up a good yard per carry number with this type of pressure. Depsite the poor production around him, the defenses stacking up versus the run, I see a lot of strong runs from Benson.

With this said, I understand his troubles. I understand he is a risk... but I see potential and a need the Broncos need to address sooner rather than later. I don't see how giving him a contract like Henry, with of course less money, would do any harm. Broncos could protect themselves shall he become trouble and just as easy release him. I don't see why there is so much hate for Cedric Benson. You don't know him personally so why so much hate?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Can the point be made that watching YouTube highlight clip does not constitute as "tape" and either do games on TV -- furthermore, since Lex is actually in Chicago, I'd say that his knowledge regarding Benson is much more substantative than yours. You're just picking and choosing your arguments just so they suit you.

lex
06-30-2008, 12:47 PM
You have no clue...I could go on and ask you if you had one of your buddies provide you coaches tape like you mentioned before in other threads, or ask you about Boyd and his troubles and compare it to Benson, but I'm not here to start a fight... As I stated before I respect everyones opinion, but please don't knock me for mine. We are all on the same team here. We only want was is best for the team we love.

LOL. It wasnt one coaches tape, it was several. Remember, I have a library?

turftoad
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Keep this on topic or I will close the thread.

topscribe
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
A look at how easy he goes down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNSf0alXII)

I'd like to see that kind of running in an orange & blue uniform . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see that kind of running in an orange & blue uniform . . .

-----

Keep in mind that a lot of those runs were in the pres-season; as advertised.

topscribe
06-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Keep in mind that a lot of those runs were in the pres-season; as advertised.

I understand. However, I was mainly referring to the running, not the runner.
I haven't seen that kind of authoritative running since TD.

If we could see that again, I don't care what the RB's last name would be. :nod:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Hopefully Torain will get back to his pre Lisfranc form and just obliterate people.

Denver27og
06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Cedric Benson is a BUM... ide rather have ricky williams... this is my first post... ive been just reading for a bunch of months... but i had to reply to this crazy stupid thread... this is the dumbest thread you have ever posted Boss.. and im talking about the good ol days from the freak too

topscribe
06-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Cedric Benson is a BUM... ide rather have ricky williams... this is my first post... ive been just reading for a bunch of months... but i had to reply to this crazy stupid thread... this is the dumbest thread you have ever posted Boss.. and im talking about the good ol days from the freak too

Although I can't agree with you, welcome to the board! :welcome:

-----

tubby
06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

What's the line on Benson being able to start his truck tonight?

Buff
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM

2:1 says his BAC is higher than .008

The over/under is .004

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM

about as good as Marshall's odds of slipping on a McDonald's bag a long night at another night club and cutting his other arm.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
For lex....

Kevin Jones is reportedly considering signing with the Bucs, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The marginalization of Earnest Graham continues. Jones hasn't been linked to Tampa before and they aren't one of the six known teams to witness a workout this offseason, but his style would certainly fit the team. Perhaps this is Jones being smart and seeing a situation where he could rehab his value. It's uncertain if they've offered a contract.
Source: NFL.com

With Graham, Bennett, Boyd, Dunn, and Williams... one has to wonder how well Cory Boyd is doing if the Bucs want to sign Kevin Jones too.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
CEDRIC TO TEXANS?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2008, 3:47 p.m.
There are rumors on the grapevine, courtesy of AOL’s FanHouse, that the Houston Texans might eventually take a chance on former Texas tailback Cedric Benson.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, was cut earlier this month by the Bears. Benson thereafter cleared waivers, and has drawn no interest on the open market.

As Stephanie Stradley of FanHouse points out, the team’s current depth chart at the position doesn’t inspire feelings of awe or wonder. (We still like what rookie Steve Slaton of WVU might be able to do in a one-cut, zone-blocking scheme, if he can get back to hitting the hole and turning on the jets.)

Still, Benson isn’t exactly an upgrade, given his performances during his NFL career. Absent proof that he has learned his lesson, and that he otherwise plans to lift weights and run hard and all that crap, it might be a risk not worth taking.

turftoad
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
CEDRIC TO TEXANS?
There are rumors on the grapevine, courtesy of AOL’s FanHouse, that the Houston Texans might eventually take a chance on former Texas tailback Cedric Benson.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, was cut earlier this month by the Bears. Benson thereafter cleared waivers, and has drawn no interest on the open market.

As Stephanie Stradley of FanHouse points out, the team’s current depth chart at the position doesn’t inspire feelings of awe or wonder. (We still like what rookie Steve Slaton of WVU might be able to do in a one-cut, zone-blocking scheme, if he can get back to hitting the hole and turning on the jets.)

Still, Benson isn’t exactly an upgrade, given his performances during his NFL career. Absent proof that he has learned his lesson, and that he otherwise plans to lift weights and run hard and all that crap, it might be a risk not worth taking.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Sounds to me like Benson needs to stay as far away from Texas as is humanly possible.

06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Dude the point is hes a HORRIBLE TEAMMATE. Why would we bring in a guy who is going to ruin the chemistry? Reminds me of Clarett fat ass in camp eating by himself. I would thik Bronco fans would be tired of bringing in horrible character guys. I guess not though.

06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Im not on him about his drinking issue. Almos every player in the NFL has had a DUI charge thrown at them. But the fact that none of his team ever liked him. Thats the icing on the cake for me.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
CEDRIC TO TEXANS?

Good move for the Texans... He will fit the zone blocking scheme very well. Kubiak is doing a good job turning that team around. You have to take chances every now and then and Benson has the talent to be a very good back and Kubiak realizes this.

DenBronx
06-30-2008, 08:46 PM
CEDRIC TO TEXANS?

good...didnt want him anyway.

what's next on the agenda? najeh davenport? :laugh:

Northman
06-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Im sort of holding out for Clarett. All he needs is a chance man. :beer:

i cant even say that with a straight face. :lol:

lex
06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
For lex....

Kevin Jones is reportedly considering signing with the Bucs, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The marginalization of Earnest Graham continues. Jones hasn't been linked to Tampa before and they aren't one of the six known teams to witness a workout this offseason, but his style would certainly fit the team. Perhaps this is Jones being smart and seeing a situation where he could rehab his value. It's uncertain if they've offered a contract.

With Graham, Bennett, Boyd, Dunn, and Williams... one has to wonder how well Cory Boyd is doing if the Bucs want to sign Kevin Jones too.

It would have still been better to draft Boyd in the 7th and not Torain in the 5th. You could also say that if Torain (or even Young) is so good, why bring in Pittman.

BTW, Id actually be interested in Kevin Jones as far as FAs are concerned. Youre thread probably would have been more appealing to the masses if you would have lobbied for him as well.

Denver27og
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
For lex....

Kevin Jones.... now thats someone that could actually help the team... NOT cedric benson

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Kevin Jones.... now thats someone that could actually help the team... NOT cedric benson

I don't think Kevin Jones fits our zone blocking scheme as well as Benson would, but that is a matter of opinion. Kevin Jones is a very good back though.

Denver27og
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't think Kevin Jones fits our zone blocking scheme as well as Benson would, but that is a matter of opinion. Kevin Jones is a very good back though.

I dont think Cedric Benson fits in any system... have u been watching his college highlights or something??? I dont know where you are getting your info on Benson... but he is a BUST!!!!!!!!! you shouldnt even be mentioning him on this site.. shame on you Boss... are you at least still hooking up the nice pics of the ladies like you used to??

Slick
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Maybe Najeh can come shit in a closet in Denver.

Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport achieved a small measure of infamy after he allegedly defecated in the laundry basket of a Barry University woman in her dorm room on April 1, 2002. In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service.[1] from Wiki

BANJOPICKER1
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Yea, i dont see any reason too. He didnt do squat for Chicago. But, if he comes cheap throw him on the rest of the heap.

Yea, Training camp fodder!:D
GOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!:salute:

BOSSHOGG30
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
With all the injury prone backs we have... looks like we might be able to get Benson after all........

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Texans aren't interested in Cedric Benson, despite some rumors to the contrary.

We haven't posted the rumors because they were just message board fodder, and Schefter says they are baseless. Schefter also reports the market for Benson is quite cool, and he thinks Benson won't get a job until a running back is hurt elsewhere in training camp.
Source: Rotoworld

turftoad
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
With all the injury prone backs we have... looks like we might be able to get Benson after all........

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Texans aren't interested in Cedric Benson, despite some rumors to the contrary.

We haven't posted the rumors because they were just message board fodder, and Schefter says they are baseless. Schefter also reports the market for Benson is quite cool, and he thinks Benson won't get a job until a running back is hurt elsewhere in training camp.
Source: Rotoworld

There are many reasons that things are quite cool in the Benson camp.

Npba900
07-03-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm all for taking a chance on Benson as well. Denver does not have a dependable RB going into the 08 season. Selvin Young, Hall, Bell, Torain, and Hillis are ALL either injury prone or unproven. Also, never underestimate the power of a change of scenery, organization, teammates, and offensive scheme. Only Torain and Hillis have the potential to be a force inside the 5, and they are both unproven! So why not bring in Benson if he price is right. Benson runs with power which is something the Broncos are missing in their running attack.

Sign Benson to a behavior and performance based contract and let the chips fall where they may. Benson knows coming to Denver would probably be his last chance to achieving NFL stardom and glory.

Playing for Denver is not the same as playing for Bears!......you can bet on that.