PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' rookie hazing all in good fun

Lonestar
08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Broncos' rookie hazing all in good fun
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/03/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Tim Tebow's heavy workload at Broncos training camp includes carrying veteran teammates' equipment after practice. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
Here's a little tip to the Broncos' 21 rookies: If you see Mario Haggan coming toward you with a devilish grin, do yourself a favor. Turn around and walk the other way.

If he has scissors in his hands, you probably should run.

Haggan wouldn't admit to being the team's unofficial barber, but if in a few days the rookies show up with some crazy new hairdos, it's a likely bet Haggan, a veteran linebacker, was at least partially responsible.

"You'll see it here in the next week or so, people with zigzags on their heads and stuff," Haggan said.

Ah, the lighter side of training camp.

Sure, it's a time for two-a-day practices and hours upon hours of meetings, but it's also a time for some good, old-fashione rookie hazing. At the Broncos' camp, that includes traditional duties for rookies such as carrying shoulder pads and helmets off the field and buying food for the veterans. It also includes ridiculous haircuts and comedy routines.
No one, not even Tim Tebow, is immune.

"It's going to be fun," rookie center J.D. Walton said. "You've got to do it, enjoy it and take it in stride."

But forget your impressions of "Animal House"-style hazing. The Broncos' veterans promise that all of their razzing of the young guys is in good fun.

"It's nothing that will harm a person. Nothing significant. Just a rookie duty," Elvis Dumervil said.

Dumervil's stance is that he doesn't ask a rookie to do anything he wasn't required to do in 2006.

"Coming in as a rookie, I didn't want to do certain things, you know, coming from being 'the man' in college. But you've got to humble yourself," Dumervil said. "Maybe Al Wilson humbled me a little. Made me go get doughnuts, stuff like that, that I wasn't used to. But at the end of the day, it's nothing."

As the Broncos' full-squad camp got underway Sunday, the veterans made sure the team's youngest players knew what was expected of them, ensuring there

Post Poll - Rookie hazing

Is there room for rookie hazing at Broncos training camp? Or is the idea outdated?

Let 'em do it: It's all in good fun and it's a nice welcome to the new players.
It's not hazing: It's respect. The rookies should show their deference to the vets.
Waste of time: You want expensive rookie players hauling pads around like mules?
Grow up: What is this, a fraternity? You're highly-paid professionals. Act like it.

will be no Dez Bryant situation at Dove Valley.
Bryant, a rookie wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and a first-round draft pick, made headlines last week when he refused to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads off the practice field, claiming he didn't know the tradition.

"Dez is my boy. I talked to him about it. He laughed about it," said Broncos rookie cornerback Perrish Cox, who played at Oklahoma State with Bryant. "I had teammates, friends calling me from school going, 'What's wrong with Dez?' Well, Dez is Dez. He's going to do what he do."

There has been no issue of in-subordination among the Broncos' rookies so far. Tebow snatched up starting quarterback Kyle Orton's pads on Day One of camp. Walton and rookie offensive lineman Paul Duncan left the field with their arms overloaded with pads and hands full of helmets.

"There is nothing out of hate or spite. It is just a little fun," Orton said. "I did it my rookie year. I am sure Brian Dawkins did it his rookie year. Brandon Stokley did it (11) years ago, so I don't think anyone is having issues with it."

For the Broncos, each position group has its own traditions to initate the rookies. Most involve the rookies bringing food for the veterans, especially on game days throughout the season. Many rookies across the NFL often are asked to pick up the tab for a fancy meal out, with the veterans running up a tab that would make most people cringe.

"My thing was that I spent a lot

Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno was the victim of a bad haircut in 2009. Haircuts may come this week for the rookies. (John Leyba, Denver Post file photo)
of money on rookie night. I could have bought a used car with the money I spent that night," said Haggan, who was a rookie with the Buffalo Bills in 2003. "But at the end of the night, I thanked God I was able to spend that money and wasn't out on the street, you know?"
The current crop of Denver rookies seems to get it, even if it means losing some hair in the process.

"You don't want to make a big scene," Cox said. "That's one of the things that goes on in the NFL, so why not do it? Whatever I got to do, I got to do."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15663517

BroncoWave
08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I posted this in the 2010 Training Camp thread.

Jagsbch
08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/TC8/TC8--nfl_medium_540_360.3_web_pm-_B2K8928.JPG
Jabar Gaffney jokes with Demaryius Thomas.

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/TC8/TC8--nfl_medium_540_360.3_web_pm-_B2K8989.JPG
Wesley Woodyard tries to break up a reception by Demaryius Thomas.