PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bronco related note in Lombardi's blog

vtroper
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
From former Bronco front office guy Mike Lombardi's blog:

When I first entered the coaching ranks, at UNLV way back in 1981, I was told something by a coach on the staff that still holds true today: “Recruiting is like shaving, if you don’t do it everyday, you look like a bum.” In the NFL, you can replace the word, recruiting, with the word personnel.

Player procurement is something you have to work on every SINGLE day. You have to strive to improve your team along with your knowledge every day. And some teams in the NFL always do a great job of adding to their roster, once the draft was over. Bill Walsh used to tell me all the time, “The best time to acquire players was in the fall”. Tinkering with the roster was his specialty and we were always thinking of ways to improve the team. He was proactive.

I really believe that after the draft you have to add TEN players to your team that can help the current team and next season’s team. Not just any ten, but ten that can help and this includes the practice squad. Too often, teams will settle for practice squad players that know the system, instead of practice squad players that have a future. The Giants were very active last fall, adding players like OG, Kevin Boothe, and DE Dave Tollefson to their team and it would not surprise me if those two players help the G-men this year. Finding two young linemen that can improve your team is a huge asset. The Giants have an outstanding pro department. And the Patriots are another example of a team that is always working the wire, working out players and looking to find the right talent and improve the roster.

Too often the personnel directors are college based in their evaluations relying on what the player did in college and how they “remember the player”. But players change and if you are not willing to admit they change, then this will handicap your Pro Department.

Last year in Denver, we never brought in one player that could help the current team win right away once training camp started-not even one to the practice squad. In fact, they have already released some of the players signed during the season as they were not even talented enough to bring to camp this year. I would gladly admit that I made mistakes in my pro evaluations, but since the GM in Denver at the time, never spoke to me for the entire 175 days I was there, it would be hard to pin these decisions on my evaluations. Denver relies on a service of pro scouting outside the building that is based on some older former college coaches who watch tape and write reports.

The team that wins the Super Bowl this year will be very proactive with their pro department and will work personnel every day. Every year, the league basically gives each team an extra fifth rounder, and two six and seventh rounds picks. Those picks are on other teams practice squads, on the waiver wire or on the street---they just need to be indentified by the Pro Department.

http://www.lombardionfootball.com/2008/06/working-wire.html

omac
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Interesting. Sundquist never saught his opinion, so why even hire him as a resource? It makes Sundquist sound bad, but then again, he could just be covering his butt?

He seems to imply he didn't like last year's draft, saying no one was brought in to contribute. Marcus Thomas did contribute big to the team. Before their injuries, Crowder and Moss were getting playing time, and at least Crowder played very solid, and even contributed to a score. I liked last season's draft, and so did a lot of guys who usually criticize the drafting habbits of the Broncos.

On players brought in, Graham and Stokley definitely contributed to the team.

Last year in Denver, we never brought in one player that could help the current team win right away once training camp started-not even one to the practice squad.

As I said, Thomas was a definite contributor despite being a rookie DT, and Stokley definitely scored TDs and made critical 3rd down catches for the Broncos.

Because of his statement, it sounds a whole lot like sour graping. It wasn't an objective one at all.

Krugan
06-26-2008, 07:18 PM
The people you are pointing out all came in before TRAINING CAMP.

He is saying the team didnt take any steps, after camps started. They stuck with what they had, and didnt force the issue.

omac
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM

He is saying the team didnt take any steps, after camps started. They stuck with what they had, and didnt force the issue.

Oh okay. Was Martinez part of the Broncos before training camp? He did contribute in the return game, even scoring a TD.

Inkana7
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Martinez was a PS player when Camp started.

hamrob
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Lombardi's comments say alot. First that Sunquist wasn't a fan of his...which means Shanny brought him in against Sunquist's wishes. Secondly, he pretty much states that Sunquist didn't know how to build a team. Thirdly, that Sunquist did nothing to improve the team after the draft which was evident with none of the practice squad players producing. Well, Sunquist is no longer with the team...so his comments seem to make sense.

Lonestar
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
All this tells me is Den has been rudderless for years in the personnel area..

If Ted was in charge which NO one really believes then shame on mikey or Pat for allowing this to happen .

If mikey is in charge which everyone knows it true then why bring someone in and not talk to the guy..

Now Ted is gone and mikey has no one else to blame..

If Ted was ineffective as this article leads everyone to believe why did it take 6 or 7 years to figure it out?

Sorry But IMHO this starts at almost the very top and in fact it started with the lifetime contract crap, so it did indeed start at the very top..

If no one is afraid of losing there job they get complacent and I believe that has showed in the past few years of play on the field..

the decline accelerated when Gary left.. IMO

Maybe he was the first one to abandon a sinking ship..

I was reminded Via PM that Alex Gibbs was the first to boogie on Mikey

nevcraw
06-27-2008, 06:42 PM
No sour grapes from Lombardi? maybe he wanted to be more than a consultant.. But he's right - The Broncos brought in no help once the season started. not too easy to do with street free agents, injured vets and most likely over valued trades.
The way I look at it Shanny learned from his mistakes and those he employed. Cut bait on the dead wood and used all of his draft picks to be build depth and create competition at the critical positions. He brought in UFA's with much better upsides than down and all on the cheap. If they don't work out as many do not, he can cut them without a hefty price.

slim
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM

If Ted was in charge which NO one really believes then shame on mikey or Pat for allowing this to happen .

If mikey is in charge which everyone knows it true then why bring someone in and not talk to the guy..

If Ted was ineffective as this article leads everyone to believe why did it take 6 or 7 years to figure it out?

Sorry But IMHO this starts at almost the very top and in fact it started with the lifetime contract crap, so it did indeed start at the very top..

If no one is afraid of losing there job they get complacent and I believe that has showed in the past few years of play on the field..

Not true...I think Ted had a plenty of say as to what went on.

Lonestar
06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Not true...I think Ted had a plenty of say as to what went on.

I believe that he did have a good repore with his fellow GM's in the NFL, but lacked the authority to make any deals without mikeys OK..

More of a point man that goes out and gets /fields feelers abut players form other GM's.. But had to clear it with mikeys before consummating and deal.. I also think mikey asked him to keep his ear to the ground for players and from time to time asked him to put out feelers about specific players.. not make any deal but ask the going price for them..

Have been trying to get Andrew or Ted to email me back to chat, I suspect that is not going to happen in the near future.. AM really interested to get the real lowdown on everything inside dove valley..

I know that many feel that TED is the major evil that has happened to this team over the past 7-8 years, but I flat refuse to believe he was given any more authority to make deals. that is so unlike mikey. If he allowed that then he would never have had a problem bringing in a real GM to help gather players..

BroncoJoe
06-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, Sunquist is no longer with the team...so his comments seem to make sense.

My thoughts exactly.

Buff
06-27-2008, 08:18 PM

You're right that the players he was referring to were brought in after training camp...

But I believe Lombardi was saying that they did force the issue. He went on to say,

In fact, they have already released some of the players signed during the season as they were not even talented enough to bring to camp this year.

So he's basically admitting that they were just bringing in guys off the streets that weren't necessarily scouted properly.

WARHORSE
06-27-2008, 08:51 PM

I dont think it took 6-7 years to figure it out. If anything, I think the Broncos respected alot of what Ted had to offer. He worked very hard here and moved up the ladder of his own accord. That will gain you respect, and a chance to grow in Denver. The Broncos organization believes in cultivating coaches for sure. Not that someone else cant be brought in, but they know that coaching is about learning as it is anything. Schemes, players, systems, front office personel, trainers, other coaches, etc.......all working towards a common goal.

Ted worked himself up, but in the end, imo, his pants got too big. A little on the arrogant side, I think he wanted to usurp Shanny in some areas. That is a no-no around here. Lol........you'll get the ax faster than Hoffa disappeared.

Seems to me we have a lot of great young talent on our team right now.
Who gets to take credit for that? Ted? Unlikely since it looks to me like his influence has gone downhill in the last couple of years, which isnt surprising since he and Shanahans relationship has soured.

I will say that considering what was in the 2005 draft available to us, in the first round, it was a coup to trade that pick. Not only did we pick up great players in Darrent, Fox and Paymah, but this in the end allowed us to get Jay Cutler. It also allowed us to get Javon Walker, who although he didnt pan out, he was the best available WR on the FA planet other than T.O., and Denver was right in trying to bring him here in order to try and win NOW.

Sinking ship?

Where?

We have a franchise QB under center.

I'll kiss sum butt if we dont have a better record this year than last.

This ship is sailing, and its not going anywhere anytime soon other than forward.:salute:

:coffee:

Lonestar
06-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I dont think it took 6-7 years to figure it out. If anything, I think the Broncos respected alot of what Ted had to offer. He worked very hard here and moved up the ladder of his own accord. That will gain you respect, and a chance to grow in Denver. The Broncos organization believes in cultivating coaches for sure. Not that someone else cant be brought in, but they know that coaching is about learning as it is anything. Schemes, players, systems, front office personel, trainers, other coaches, etc.......all working towards a common goal.

Ted worked himself up, but in the end, imo, his pants got too big. A little on the arrogant side, I think he wanted to usurp Shanny in some areas. That is a no-no around here. Lol........you'll get the ax faster than Hoffa disappeared.

Seems to me we have a lot of great young talent on our team right now.
Who gets to take credit for that? Ted? Unlikely since it looks to me like his influence has gone downhill in the last couple of years, which isnt surprising since he and Shanahans relationship has soured.

I will say that considering what was in the 2005 draft available to us, in the first round, it was a coup to trade that pick. Not only did we pick up great players in Darrent, Fox and Paymah, but this in the end allowed us to get Jay Cutler. It also allowed us to get Javon Walker, who although he didnt pan out, he was the best available WR on the FA planet other than T.O., and Denver was right in trying to bring him here in order to try and win NOW.

Sinking ship?

Where?

We have a franchise QB under center.

I'll kiss sum butt if we dont have a better record this year than last.

This ship is sailing, and its not going anywhere anytime soon other than forward.:salute:

Over the past few years 2006 and forward things have changed in dove valley.. I nor you know what caused that to change..

But the previous 4-6 years this team sucked at bringing top non head case talent.. their day one choices were as bad if not worse than any team in the NFL..

About the only decent acquisition over those years was Champ and he fell into our laps with poorti$$$$ (head case) demanding to be paid top money for RB..

Beyond that the cupboard was awfully bare on day one choices..
starter still with team
starter somewhere else
traded and non starter
gone from NFL football all together

Now I might be wrong and few of the players listed below but I think it pretty acurate..

2005 - Denver Broncos
Rd Sel # Player Position School
2 56 Darrent Williams CB
3 76 Karl Paymah DB
3 97 Domonique Foxworth
3 101 Maurice Clarett

2004 - Denver Broncos
1 17 D.J. Williams OLB
2 41 Tatum Bell RB
2 54 Darius Watts WR
3 85 Jeremy LeSueur

2003 - Denver Broncos
1 20 George Foster T
2 51 Terry Pierce

2002 - Denver Broncos
1 19 Ashley Lelie WR
2 51 Clinton Portis RB
3 96 Dorsett Davis

2001 - Denver Broncos
1 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB
2 51 Paul Toviessi DE
3 87 Reggie Hayward

2000 - Denver Broncos
1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB
2 40 Ian Gold LB
2 45 Kenoy Kennedy SAF
3 70 Chris Cole

In fact even prior to that we sucked.. throw out LB's and mikey is the worst.

1999 - Denver Broncos
1 31 Al Wilson MLB
2 58 Montae Reagor DE
2 61 Lennie Friedman C
3 67 Chris Watson CB
3 93 Travis McGriff

1998 - Denver Broncos
1 30 Marcus Nash WR
2 61 Eric Brown SS
3 91 Brian Griese

1996 - Denver Broncos
1 15 John Mobley OLB
2 44 Tory James DB
3 65 Detron Smith RB
3 78 Mark Campbell

1995 NONE

Now I know some homers love foxworth and Paymah and many thought that darrent was great but realistically folks before the end of his rookie season many were calling for foxworth to replace him. and after his death he status was elevated even more.. Now getting killed was a tragedy but he was not that great a CB.. and foxworth is a joke or he would have been the starter the next year. They thought so highly of him they traded for Bly..

Sorry I do not think that under mikey's regime we have done well in drafting for years..

mikeys last three drafts still look good on paper.. but many of the previous ones did also.. The vast majority of mikeys DAFTEES were gone by the end of their third Training Camp..

Time will tell on whether this franchise has turned the corner right now it is looking pretty good for the turn. But as long as mikey is in total charge of football operations their will be doubt in my mind about player decisions..

If Y'all want to think he walks on water more power to you..

You may have to pucker up about the better than last year record deal.. that means 8-8 and before the bye we very well could be 1-6 with all the youth on this team and changes in schemes AGAIN..

And yes all of the pieces to the puzzle may fall into place and we could very easily be 10-6 or better, but for the mean time I'll not hold my breath.