PDA

View Full Version : u29 camp report

underrated29
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
ok- so first off pola it was fun talking with ya. I am going to go to camp tomorrow morning too. But I prob wont be able to report till late later or the next day. I have a bachellor party to attend to. And dude from BC- i missed your name rguy17 or something- i will be there tomorrow morning- maybe I will bump into ya.

anyway for todays report...

I was primarily trying to focus on my boy JD walton, and the Qbs.

First thing first. EVERYONE LOOKED RUSTY! I also am a strict judge when evaluating and also throw away my bias when scouting these guys. As much as I possibly can. I will not say one looks good when he didnt just because I like him over another.

There was a lot of running plays. Lots of them. Partly I think because they FO wants/needs to get a good look at the RBs we have got since both our boys went down yesterday. Kolby smith seemed to be getting a lot of the first team work, but lance ball was in there on a fair share too. Toney baker made a few appearances but otherwise imo went rather unnoticed. He (baker) is a big boy though- he can def plow the road when he needs too.

I liked lance ball a lot though, someone said he looks like MJD and when I saw a RB out there I knew it was him right away without looking at his number. He is a short stout thick little man. Kolby smith is bigger than I remember...One thing that will hinder lance ball is his catching. He was not very impressive in pass catching. Something that our RBs should do a lot. Lance also got some work on ST as kickoff coverage.

JD Walton and the OL

- Lots of my focus went on JD...He was once again working with the #1 OL the entire practice. -polumbus, beadles, JD, kuper, Harris- In the beginning they were working 5 on 5 and then 7 on 7....When there was 3 ol and 3 dl JD was getting worked over pretty good by fields. Which sucks because JD is my big pimp this year. But he was getting owned pretty good. However, when they were running a full OL -11 vs 11. JD was stout. I noticed because he is shorter that he was getting hands to his face/neck area a lot. I happen to like this for 2 reasons. 1)- we will probably get some calls for illegal hands to the face and 2) JD plays better when he is mad and I know a few times that was not making him happy. JD- got called out once pretty rough by the OL coach but he came back and played better. He was communicating a bunch with kuper. A LOT!-- (kupesdad) from the OM said a few weeks ago that kuper was helping JD make the calls at the line and establish the block assignements. I am sure that is what they were going over. I like to see good communication on the OL.

as for the rest of them playing- Harris looked good. Kuper got absolutely OWNED like no ones business, possibly by Jarvis Moss of all people on one play. Get more on moss in a minute. But the rest of the time kuper was pretty solid. I could not see beadles well and polumbus at all. However, the #1 offense could barely get the handoff to the RB off the left side before getting hit...Beadles, polumbus--= bad. I am sure it was rust, but man not good.

As a whole unit the #1 OL was getting worked over repeatedly by the #1 defense. Especially in the run game. I was talking with montrose from OM before TC and he was telling me this is what he saw yesterday. I absolutely agree with him. Jarvis green and Justin Bannan were unmovable forces out there. Factor in the big man Jamal Williams and the DL should be Vastly improved over last year. I was highly impressed by them-all things considered and with what we are used to seeing on the DL. Still by no means are we a great DL, but I see improvement from just one practice. THe #1 defense smelled out numerous screen plays to the RB and crushed them. Orton had no chance to even make the throw. Of course the offense did get a few in there and a few good runs, but overall the DL and the LB were all over them. Which is typical anyway at the start of TC...The OL imo should be fine and come together, we really need clady though, it is either amazing how damn good he is, or just how damn bad polumbus sucks. Please let it be clady being the tebow of LTs.

QBs- In throwing drills with no defense, just patterns. Quinn was throwing really nice balls. Sharp crisp and accurate. He impressed me. Orton was looking good too and he was taking command of things, if he did not like the route or whatever he would talk it over with the WR. Tebow- is not going to supplant Orton ANYTIME soon. Make no mistake. Tebows short passes were wobbly, but the ones on target were perfect and accurate. The pass does not look pretty but we are not winning games by pretty looking spirals. We win them by completions and he was doing it. However, Tebow is still way behind as far as learning the offense in and out. His medium to long range passes were much better though. His spirals were tight too. I think when he actually puts some force on the ball it spirals nicely, when he is just throwing with some touch its a wobble. I am not concernd. His few dep passes were pretty nice completions. Tebow also throws the hardest ball, but quinn is not to far behind.
Orton- knew the offense and is getting things down pretty well. He sees the plays faster and is getting the open man. A few times I would call out who he would pass to before he would pass it and it went to who i said. So he is still locking on to his WR some, but also majority of the time they were open. So its a give and take, on one hand if I can see it then a DB probably could jump the route. However, on some of those the DB was beaten and the player wide open. So it would make sense to throw it there.

Quinn was better than tebow, worse than orton, none were really that impressive though. QUinn does not go through progressions fast enough in my mind yet, and tebow holds the ball waaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. Tebow had a lot of designed runs/QB draws. We will see a lot of him this year...One cool play was the Qbs had to throw the ball over the jumping coach to the player in the flats. I liked that drill. The QBs did well in it too. Tebow had some runs that would have gone for minimal gains had the D been able to hit him. But people cheered anyhow. He had a broken play with a farve like flip pass to toney baker- who made a nice outstretched juggling catch. While it shows tebows play making ability- it was close to a fumble and maybe best served to toss it out of bounds. He was getting pressured hard.

Random stuff i noticed
-Willis- caught my eye, the guy runs good routes and caught everything. He was also getting work on ST as a returner. After practice he was called over to work with tebow on running plays.
- Eric decker beat his guy deep on go routes a couple times. The balls were a tad to far or off, but he is getting verticle and doing a good job of it.
-branson- did not look good at all to me. Not buying the hype at all. False starts, slow, Richard Quinn worked with the #1s and looked good. Impressed me a bit.
-stokely worked with the #2 almost exclusively.
-Jarvis Moss- made a really nice play for a big loss, after that the LT and RT stoned him every other time. He got taken out big time by someone and took a chewing for it. not impressive. He still looks better than before, but not as good. I still think he makes the team though, our depth is not very good.
- Nick greisen- got chewed out big time, he did not have a good practice imo.
- Perrish Cox had a few KO returns where he was NOT touched!
-Tebow made a nice 25 yard completion down the sidelines to willis. The ball was underthrown big time. But willis made a great adjustment to stop and haul it in.
- DJ popped someone big time! Very loud very nice. He let the RB go, but game time it would have been like a Roy Williams re run. Maybe not that hard, but it was a good stuff on his part.
-DT is big and i like what i see. He stayed after practice to work on getting off the jam at the LOS with a coach for about 15 minutes. I stayed until I got kicked out and he was still going.
- Tebow worked with the offense and defense after practice running pass plays. NO DL just LB/dbs...he was doing ok, but working hard. Had 2 bck to back passes to no one, either he threw the wrong play or the WR ran the wrong routes....not really sure what happened there.

Think that is about it. Since there was a lot of run plays and I was looking at Qbs and C, I can not go into too much depth. I am hungry and have to get my stuff together for tomorrow. Ask away- for yoou at the BC or OM- you have to ask me at BF, cuz thats where i hang.

frauschieze
08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm glad you were sober when you wrote this. :D

EMB6903
08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I think Tebow's and Ortons lack of arm strength makes Quinns arm look like Elways out there. He looked good in all the 1-1 WR vs CB drills but whenever the 7-7's and live scrimmage was going on he looked horrible. Im not impressed with any of the QB's so far. But hey its the first week of live practice. I was amazed when looking at Thomas, I knew he was big but had no idea he was that in shape, definately bigger then Marshall.

Jagsbch
08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
As a whole unit the #1 OL was getting worked over repeatedly by the #1 defense. Especially in the run game. I was talking with montrose from OM before TC and he was telling me this is what he saw yesterday. I absolutely agree with him. Jarvis green and Justin Bannan were unmovable forces out there. Factor in the big man Jamal Williams and the DL should be Vastly improved over last year.

Thanks for taking the time to share this info. Especially your focus on the trenched. this kind of stuff you just don't get in the mainstream due to the fact everyone is interested in either the RB or QB.

If this defensiveline is so good that it is acting as a brick wall to the o-line, that this is exactly what the doctored ordered.

This is just what the three rookies needed. Talk about a mountain to climb.

I learned a long time ago the best way to move mountains is to put them under your feet.

This is the kind of competition that breeds a champion.

These rookies are not going back to their hotel rooms feeling good like they have accomplished something, they are going back and searching deep within themseelves for ways they can manage to hold their own out there, ways to rise above.

So tell me 29,

Did you noticing coaches showing the rookies how to perform jujitsu moves and the like out there technigue wise to help the rookies along. what kind of coaching did you notice them getting besides them going nuclear?

underrated29
08-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I think Tebow's and Ortons lack of arm strength makes Quinns arm look like Elways out there. He looked good in all the 1-1 WR vs CB drills but whenever the 7-7's and live scrimmage was going on he looked horrible. Im not impressed with any of the QB's so far. But hey its the first week of live practice. I was amazed when looking at Thomas, I knew he was big but had no idea he was that in shape, definately bigger then Marshall.

well- i dunno man. Tebow imo throws the hardest ball. His footballs have some real zip on them. He also throws the best deep ball. I do not think he lacks arm strength at all. Orton yeah, and Quinn imo just has a pretty solid ball. Good zip. Cutler like-no, but better than plummer, griese, or anyone after elway and before jay.

underrated29
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share this info. Especially your focus on the trenched. this kind of stuff you just don't get in the mainstream due to the fact everyone is interested in either the RB or QB.

If this defensiveline is so good that it is acting as a brick wall to the o-line, that this is exactly what the doctored ordered.

This is just what the three rookies needed. Talk about a mountain to climb.

I learned a long time ago the best way to move mountains is to put them under your feet.

This is the kind of competition that breeds a champion.

These rookies are not going back to their hotel rooms feeling good like they have accomplished something, they are going back and searching deep within themseelves for ways they can manage to hold their own out there, ways to rise above.

So tell me 29,

Did you noticing coaches showing the rookies how to perform jujitsu moves and the like out there technigue wise to help the rookies along. what kind of coaching did you notice them getting besides them going nuclear?

besides chewing out players. I did not notice it much. Not because they were not doing it but because I was watching football and talking to Pnbronco. So between our conversations and taking in what I saw. I couldnt focus on anything else...

However, one thing I did see was the OL coach -whoever that is now- told JD when they are in pre snap to get his but down and then explode up...Not out or up out of the stance, but UP. Like vertiaclly and he did a little body movement sorta like sitting in a chair and then thrusting up and pushing off with the arms....most likely for leverage.

JD- tried to do some cut blocks and diving at guys feet...He wiffed a bunch at those. Its ok, because when I evaluated Clady his first year, he did the exact same thing.

------------------------
Also spencer Larsen is going to beast i think this year at FB. he had some great runs for us. And as us fans know, he brings the pain. THere would have been some times where he popped some dudes, but would have plowed some dudes.

broncophan
08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks for taking the time to post this...

underrated29
08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
thanks for taking the time to post this...

its my pleasure. I actually enjoy doing this.

Getting to go on record and see how I do, right or wrong, I love it. Besides, I love me some TC reports, so it would not be cool of me to not at least share what i saw.

hotcarl
08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
thanks for the report, a few suggestions:

-make it legible next time, for us "old timers"
-slow down, find your voice, you dont have to spit it all out at once like a bowl of bad posole
-make tebow more prevalent in your reports
-tebow
-use iambic pentameter

thank you again and god bless you for your efforts

tia
-carl :welcome:

Bosco
08-03-2010, 02:05 AM
If you're out there again, I'd be very appreciative if you could diagram the defensive alignment in 11 on 11s. :D

Dirk
08-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks much U29! I appreciate the write up!

Tned
08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Also spencer Larsen is going to beast i think this year at FB. he had some great runs for us. And as us fans know, he brings the pain. THere would have been some times where he popped some dudes, but would have plowed some dudes.

Did Larsen run the ball any, or just lead block?

pnbronco
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Did Larsen run the ball any, or just lead block?

both and his runs were good

Tned
08-03-2010, 07:43 AM
both and his runs were good

Cool. I like having the option to run the FB, not just lead block with him.

Jagsbch
08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
However, one thing I did see was the OL coach -whoever that is now- told JD when they are in pre snap to get his but down and then explode up...Not out or up out of the stance, but UP. Like vertiaclly and he did a little body movement sorta like sitting in a chair and then thrusting up and pushing off with the arms....most likely for leverage.

JD- tried to do some cut blocks and diving at guys feet...He wiffed a bunch at those. Its ok, because when I evaluated Clady his first year, he did the exact same thing.

------------------------
Also spencer Larsen is going to beast i think this year at FB. he had some great runs for us. And as us fans know, he brings the pain. There would have been some times where he popped some dudes, but would have plowed some dudes.

Thanks on the heads up with what the coaches are doing in training camp to help take these guys to the next level. Good show mate~!!
Larsen is well read, I caught an interview with him on 'Elephants in the Room' I am looking forward to watching him kill it this season.

Traveler
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
wft?

BroncoNut
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Interesting report thanks. when you say a back does not catch well, could you be specific. Dropped passes? poor timing?

frenchfan
08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks u29... I do appreciate all those reports :salute:

It's nice you looked at Lines... People usually watch WR, QB or RB... But we all know football starts on the trenches...

So, what's your opinion about our 2 rookies on our OL?
I think they are far from being great, but do you think they do a good job and do we have a chance to build a great OL with them?

TIA :beer: