PDA

View Full Version : Bailey out to prove he’s one of the best

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_broncos_baileys_ambition-4105320

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Even at 32, perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey(notes) insists he's still among the best cornerbacks in the business.

Anything that Darrelle Revis(notes), Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) or Charles Woodson(notes) can do, the Denver Broncos standout contends he can do better — or at least just as well.

Heading into his 12th season, Bailey doesn't feel like he's lost even a hint of his superior speed or a trace of his first-rate cover skills.

All he needs is for some quarterbacks to doubt him and throw the ball his way more often.

"I still can run with the best of them," Bailey asserted. "Until I do bad, then I bump myself down."

And until that time, he will consider himself one of the gold standards at defensive back, the definition of a shutdown cornerback.

"Look at my track record," he said.

Bailey has amassed quite a resume since being drafted out of the University of Georgia in 1999, making three All-Pro squads, nine Pro Bowl teams and picking off 46 passes, a total second only to safety Darren Sharper(notes) (61) during that span.

And that's with quarterbacks frequently electing to challenge his counterpart on the other side of the field, which this season should again be Andre' Goodman(notes).

Although he's entering the final year of his contract — one that will pay him US$13 million — he maintains he's not motivated by his next big contract.

"I can't control that," he said.

Bailey said he didn't mind the Broncos putting their big bucks into linebacker Elvis Dumervil's(notes) bank account. Dumervil signed a five-year, $58.332 million extension last month, leading many fans to wonder if Bailey was next in line for a huge contract extension.

Given Bailey's age and price tag, the Broncos might decide to let him go in free agency after this year.

"It's not something I think about now," Bailey said. "I'm just concentrating on getting better."

When one of the best in the business wants to get even better, he pulls out footage of fellow cornerbacks around the league.

These days, his must-watch list includes defensive backs such as Revis, a holdout with the New York Jets, and Woodson of the Green Bay Packers. New to his video library is Philadelphia's Asante Samuel(notes).

"Samuel's style is a little different from mine, but the way he plays and makes plays, that's what I try to steal from him," Bailey explained. "(Revis), I started watching him more in the second half of the season. He's got the total package. That guy can play."

Of course, Bailey is the one all the impressionable defensive backs strive to emulate around the Broncos headquarters.

His apt pupil this season is Perrish Cox(notes), a fifth-round pick out of Oklahoma State and the cornerback who may just be his backup in 2010.

"Champ does it so smooth, makes it look so easy — until we go out there and try it," Cox said. "It's tougher than it looks."

There's a noticeable spring in Bailey's step this summer, a vigour that wasn't quite as apparent last summer. He said that's because he's not having to learn a new scheme again.

Sure, Don (Wink) Martindale is Denver's fifth defensive co-ordinator in as many seasons, but he's bringing the same principles to the field after serving as linebackers coach last year.

There will be no radical changes, such as in 2009, when defensive boss Mike Nolan ushered in the era of the 3-4 at Dove Valley. And a beefier defensive line should give Bailey more chances to do what he does best: pick off passes.

Martindale is hoping quarterbacks indeed decide to test Bailey.

"He's been here forever and made a lot of great plays," Martindale said. "I love it."

Bailey also arrives at camp healthy again, no lingering groin problems to hamper him like last summer.

"Now, I'm more confident," Bailey said. "More confident about what we're doing."

In the twilight of his career, he's finding an appreciation for two-a-days, no longer loathing them like he once did.

"I won't always be this positive," Bailey said, grinning. "But it's something I've tried to train myself to do, just because I know I've got to get through it to get where I want to go."

That's back to the playoffs, where the Broncos haven't been in four seasons.

The team started out 6-0 last year but finished 8-8 in coach Josh McDaniels' rookie season.

Bailey has played in just five playoff games in his career, and never reaching the Super Bowl gnaws at him.

"Get there and don't win is not good enough. Getting in the playoffs is not good enough," Bailey said. "Getting a ring is the only thing that's going to make me satisfied with my career in this league."

HORSEPOWER 56
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Champ is still a P-I-M-P.

EMB6903
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Lovin how hes still hungry to prove people wrong.

He has nothing to prove to any of us real fans though. Champ Bailey in 2006 eats Darrell Revis's 2009 season in the dust. Oh ya and he didnt have an elite pass rush to rely on either.

Shazam!
08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Champ is still the best player on the Broncos IMO because he's a top 5/one of/or THE best player at his position. I really hope they resign him next year so he can finish his career in Denver.

BroncoWave
08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't need to prove I'm one of the best!

Oh, you mean the player. He's ok too I guess! ;)

Bosco
08-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Lovin how hes still hungry to prove people wrong.

He has nothing to prove to any of us real fans though. Champ Bailey in 2006 eats Darrell Revis's 2009 season in the dust. Oh ya and he didnt have an elite pass rush to rely on either.

2005 and 2006 might be a couple of the best seasons any corner has ever played in the history of the league. Being a true shut down corner is great in itself, but 18 combined interceptions, 3 touchdowns and a shitload of tackles sets him apart.

Timmy!
08-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I hate Champ.

Sincerely,

Claymore

:D

Slick
08-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I know we've talked about this before, but I'd still love to see him playing center field instead of corner. He can do anything Rod Woodson did.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Definitely hope the re-sign Champ next season. Still no other CB I'd rather have in the NFL.