PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Stokley Is Possibly On The Roster Bubble This Training Camp

getlynched47
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I made this thread on Broncos Country. Thought I'd bring it over here to get your guys' thoughts on the subject as well:

Think about it for a second before flaming me.

There are 4 locks at wide receiver: Demaryius Thomas, Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, and Eric Decker

Those 4 will make the roster. Guaranteed.

Now, Josh McDaniels stated in his press conference last week that some players (cornerbacks, safeties, wide receivers, runningbacks) are fighting eachother for a roster spot as a Gunner on special teams and a reserve at their respective positions.

Brandon Stokley doesn't play special teams. Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney don't run down kicks either, but offer much more value in other ways (for example: Eddie Royal on kickoffs/punts and a starting receiver).

Therefore, the Broncos will possibly only keep 5 to 6 receivers this season, depending on which receivers outplay the other players as Gunners on special teams.

That means that the 5 and 6 spot will be a fight between Matthew Willis, Brandon Lloyd, Brandon Stokley, Kenny McKinley, and possibly Alric Arnett. The only player that doesn't play special teams in that list is Brandon Stokley. The rest of them can/do play on special teams.

In addition, I believe that if Matthew Willis continues to receive glowing reviews (he was excellent during OTA's and Josh McDaniels mentioned him as a player that impressed him all offseason, including on the first day of training camp), that spells the end for Stokley as well.

That is where my logic is coming from. I believe Brandon Stokley will be the surprise cut this training camp.

Regardless, Stokley is a top-flight professional and I wish him the best. Maybe I'm wrong, and I kind of hope I'm wrong because of how valuable his leadership is.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Thoughts? :salute:

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I have also been thinking this. He's a good guy and has been solid for us but it wouldn't shock me at all if he gets beat out by some of the young guys. If I had to bet money I'd say he barely makes the roster but I won't be shocked either way.

dogfish
08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
i would say this is closer to accepted fact than flamebait. . . .

love stokes, but he wasn't all that involved last year, and absolutely looks like a prime candidate to get caught in the numbers crunch. . .

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Stokley has more talent in the tips of his toes than anyone of those non "locked" Wrs. If hes not our our team this year I would be extremely surprised.

The only ones who can remotley compete with him are Lloyd, who blows, and McKinley, whos a 5th round nobody. Id put my money on Stokes.

BroncoBJ
08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
No flaming here. I've actually been thinking the same thing for a while. I can picture him being here until the very last batch of cuts in September. I really hope McKinley makes the team.

We have a very good group of young WR's and if Stokely doesn't get cut this year then next year is definatly the year. We might keep him for 1 more year but I really feel that he will get cut. Just got a hunch.

So I'm thinking those 4 locks of yours will make it. Plus McKinley. Plus Willis as the final guy. Lloyd is too much of a journeymen and I don't see him sticking around even though I do like him.

We'll see though. But I pretty much agree with you.

But damn, I'm excited for the teams future. Our offense is just about set for years to come. Got a nice young line. Young WR's. Young RB. Young QB who is suppose to be our future. And then our TE's that we have now are pretty young besides Graham. So its looking pretty legit.

Then next year its time to go all young on defense and start building our championship team. :rockon:

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Stokley has more talent in the tips of his toes than anyone of those non "locked" Wrs. If hes not our our team this year I would be extremely surprised.

The only ones who can remotley compete with him are Lloyd, who blows, and McKinley, whos a 5th round nobody. Id put my money on Stokes.

:lol: Ok so how much of training camp have you watched to come to this conclusion or are you just talking out of your ass?

Willis has gotten rave reviews from McD all summer and to bash McKinley because he was a 5th rounder is ridiculous. Good thing the Broncos don't have the same mindset as you or Rod Smith would have never made it, since he was just some undrafted nobody and all!

Skinny
08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I really hope McKinley has been eating his wheaties this off season. I'm pulling for him but he needs to step it up.

topscribe
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Stokes has been a football hero of mine.

Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I, too, will not be surprised to hear of his exit from the building . . .

-----

broncobryce
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Lloyd is also having a great camp so I hear. Stokes is as good as gone and so is Mckinley.

nevcraw
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
where it seems more than likely Stokes could be on the short end of a "business" decision -- I would be extremely pleased if they figured a way to get atleast another year out him. Several times during the season he will come up big and make the team whom he plays for look like genius's for keeping/picking him up..

nevcraw
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Lloyd is also having a great camp so I hear. Stokes is as good as gone and so is Mckinley.

It's day one dude.. :lol:

topscribe
08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

I wouldn't be so quick on McKinley. The reports I have gotten out of camp
amount to greased lightning: speed and quickness. He just might turn out to be
Darius Watts . . . with hands . . .

It's day one dude.. :lol:

Lloyd's name came up throughout all the OTAs and in rookie camp. The QBs
have been complimentary of him. I think that is what Bryce is referring to.

-----

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I like the depth we seem to have at WR this year. Should make for some great competition at camp. Will be very interesting to see who steps up and makes the team.

honz
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
If he gets cut, that just means we have some pretty good WR's beating him out. May the best man win. Everyone loves Stokley, but he is getting up there in years and has had injury issues the past couple years if I remember correctly.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 07:59 PM
:lol: Ok so how much of training camp have you watched to come to this conclusion or are you just talking out of your ass?

Willis has gotten rave reviews from McD all summer and to bash McKinley because he was a 5th rounder is ridiculous. Good thing the Broncos don't have the same mindset as you or Rod Smith would have never made it, since he was just some undrafted nobody and all!

NFL games are a little more important than TC dude.

Its years of watching Lloyd suck. Or did I miss a sick catch in OTA's?

And for McKinley, 5th rounders more than often dont work out. Hes shown nothing special thus far, so why trash a solid veteren for him? He needs to show us something......

Oh, Willis is getting rave reviews :elefant: So is Jarvis Moss. Id watch out for them both because their coach publically says they're doing good :lol:

Gimme a break...

broncobryce
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks top. I'm glad someone is paying attention.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

honz
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
FWIW, Lloyd outplayed Royal last year when he was on the field...

Probably shouldn't have said that, but this could be fun...who knows.

Lonestar
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I would think with his injury proclivites, being older and thus MORE expensive this would be the year to eat the rest of his signing bonus an uncapped year. PLUS IIRC this is his last year of his contract anyway if not the second to last.

He is as good a slot guy as there is but we have a bunch more just lik him that are nor versitile something Josh really likes.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Royal was playing the wrong postion.

Plus who better to back up Royal at slot than Stokes. It is Royals first year at that position.....

honz
08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Royal was playing the wrong postion.
How so? He was our #2 WR the last 2 years.

BTW, I like Royal a lot and hope he has a big year for us, but just stating what I saw on the field last year. Lloyd made several big plays in the 2 or 3 games where he saw significant time on the field.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 08:06 PM
NFL games are a little more important than TC dude.

Its years of watching Lloyd suck. Or did I miss a sick catch in OTA's?

And for McKinley, 5th rounders more than often dont work out. Hes shown nothing special thus far, so why trash a solid veteren for him? He needs to show us something......

Oh, Willis is getting rave reviews :elefant: So is Jarvis Moss. Id watch out for them both because their coach publically says they're doing good :lol:

Gimme a break...

When it comes to determining who makes the roster, TC is VERY important. Why even have it if it's just not important. And as far as NFL games, Stokley was invisible for most of last season.

If it's even a close competition and some of the young guys show some potential, why not give them a chance over Stokley who seems to be a bit past his prime?

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 08:10 PM
How so? He was our #2 WR the last 2 years.

He played the Y reciever last year. Hes now the Z....

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
When it comes to determining who makes the roster, TC is VERY important. Why even have it if it's just not important. And as far as NFL games, Stokley was invisible for most of last season.

If it's even a close competition and some of the young guys show some potential, why not give them a chance over Stokley who seems to be a bit past his prime?

years and years of game film > TC :coffee:

McKinley would have to infact show some potential. But he hasnt yet.

Id love it if he somehow sprouted up and became a decent player. But if he doesnt proven anything, why keep him instead of a very solid veteren?

getlynched47
08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
He played the Y reciever last year. Hes now the Z....

I'm not denying that Stokley is still an effective slot-option. I just question whether we can justify spending a roster spot on a guy with 19 catches last season and who doesn't play special teams.

As I said, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Jabar Gaffney, and Eddie Royal most likely will not be running down kickoffs and punts as Gunners. To have our 5th receiver (Stokley) also not run down kicks would be horrible.

But who knows. Maybe Stokley sticks and the Broncos make Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker run down kicks to compensate for Stokley.

honz
08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure he lined up out wide most of last season. He did move to the slot every now and then, but not much as far as I recall. Could be wrong though, I guess.

getlynched47
08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
why keep him instead of a very solid veteren?

He returns kickoffs and punts. He also plays Gunner.

AND with the chance to play, he could easily surpass Brandon Stokley's 19 catches in an entire season. Sadly, he only played in 8 games last season as the #5 or #6 receiver.

nevcraw
08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks top. I'm glad someone is paying attention.

what does paying attention have to do with it? more like ---atleast someone can read my mind.. when I say camp, i really mean offseason..

But whatever --- there have been many OTA/camp wonders to fade into nothing as the season takes hold.. let's see if lloyd is up for the challenge..

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
years and years of game film > TC :coffee:

McKinley would have to infact show some potential. But he hasnt yet.

Id love it if he somehow sprouted up and became a decent player. But if he doesnt proven anything, why keep him instead of a very solid veteren?

And the game film on Stokley showed all of 19 catches last year. Wow. Let's not act like he's some star who's a mortal lock to make the roster. He's a great guy and a great teammate but his play on the field is in the decline.

You didn't answer my question though, how much of the offseason have you watched to determine how well some of those younger guys have improved?

And if you knew how McD filled his roster, which you obviously don't, you'd know he likes his 5th and 6th WR's and CB's to also be able to play special teams. Stokely is our only WR competing for a spot who doesn't do that.

honz
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
There's lots of great game film of Shannon Sharpe too. Maybe he can take Scheffler's spot on the roster.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
There's lots of great game film of Shannon Sharpe too. Maybe he can take Scheffler's spot on the roster.

Good point, to say previous seasons have more weight on who makes the roster than how good they are NOW is a pretty stupid thing to say.

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I have also been thinking this. He's a good guy and has been solid for us but it wouldn't shock me at all if he gets beat out by some of the young guys. If I had to bet money I'd say he barely makes the roster but I won't be shocked either way.

Same here I've been thinking for a while now that Stokley is on the bubble and would not surprised if didn't make the team.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not denying that Stokley is still an effective slot-option. I just question whether we can justify spending a roster spot on a guy with 19 catches last season and who doesn't play special teams.

As I said, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Jabar Gaffney, and Eddie Royal most likely will not be running down kickoffs and punts as Gunners. To have our 5th receiver (Stokley) also not run down kicks would be horrible.

But who knows. Maybe Stokley sticks and the Broncos make Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker run down kicks to compensate for Stokley.

Let the rookies play ST.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Let the rookies play ST.

You really don't get how it works, do you?

If you're a 4th-6th WR and don't see the field much or at all on offense, you HAVE to be able to play special teams. If not, you are basically a waste of a roster spot.

Thomas and Decker will definitely NOT be playing special teams. They are being groomed to be starters.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 08:50 PM
He returns kickoffs and punts. He also plays Gunner.

AND with the chance to play, he could easily surpass Brandon Stokley's 19 catches in an entire season. Sadly, he only played in 8 games last season as the #5 or #6 receiver.

I hear you, I just think thats all he can contribute on is ST.

honz
08-01-2010, 08:54 PM

If you're a 4th-6th WR and don't see the field much or at all on offense, you HAVE to be able to play special teams. If not, you are basically a waste of a roster spot.

Thomas and Decker will definitely NOT be playing special teams. They are being groomed to be starters.
I'd say there is a good chance Decker plays on ST's for a little while...just depends on what spot he earns on the depth chart this year. I highly doubt Thomas ever covers a kickoff or punt, though.

broncobryce
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
what does paying attention have to do with it? more like ---atleast someone can read my mind.. when I say camp, i really mean offseason..

But whatever --- there have been many OTA/camp wonders to fade into nothing as the season takes hold.. let's see if lloyd is up for the challenge..

Yeah, we shall see.
But I suspect more than just Top knew what I meant, because it's been said by observers and the QB's and other players that Lloyd has been impressive. Doesn't really take reading my mind.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
And the game film on Stokley showed all of 19 catches last year. Wow. Let's not act like he's some star who's a mortal lock to make the roster. He's a great guy and a great teammate but his play on the field is in the decline.

You didn't answer my question though, how much of the offseason have you watched to determine how well some of those younger guys have improved?

And if you knew how McD filled his roster, which you obviously don't, you'd know he likes his 5th and 6th WR's and CB's to also be able to play special teams. Stokely is our only WR competing for a spot who doesn't do that.

Stokes only had 19 catches last year, but thats still more than Lloyd and McKinley combined. Stokes also had 4 TDs. Niether the other guys had one.

I know that McDaniels likes his 5th and 6th Wrs to play ST. I just dont think its a prerequisite.

Good point, to say previous seasons have more weight on who makes the roster than how good they are NOW is a pretty stupid thing to say.

No, whats stupid is someone saying somebodys good NOW because of OTAs and TC, when the last four years, they were garbage.

Your only as good as your record in the NFL. Players are only as good as their film. Thats how it will always go.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:20 PM

You dont know for a fact that either rookie will not play ST.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Stokes only had 19 catches last year, but thats still more than Lloyd and McKinley combined. Stokes also had 4 TDs. Niether the other guys had one.

I know that McDaniels likes his 5th and 6th Wrs to play ST. I just dont think its a prerequisite.

No, whats stupid is someone saying somebodys good NOW because of OTAs and TC, when the last four years, they were garbage.

Your only as good as your record in the NFL. Players are only as good as their film. Thats how it will always go.

McKinley and Willis have been in the NFL for 4 years? I wasn't aware.

But based on your logic, Jerry Rice should have been a lock to make the Broncos when he tried out for us at the end of his career. I mean, his tape was WAY better than some of the scrubs who beat him out.

Oh nevermind, Shanahan actually based it on how good the players were at THAT point in time instead of looking 4 years in the past..

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 09:23 PM
where it seems more than likely Stokes could be on the short end of a "business" decision -- I would be extremely pleased if they figured a way to get atleast another year out him. Several times during the season he will come up big and make the team whom he plays for look like genius's for keeping/picking him up..

I agree if we can get one more season out of Stokley I'm all for it but I just think he has an uphill battle on his hands to make the team.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I'd say there is a good chance Decker plays on ST's for a little while...just depends on what spot he earns on the depth chart this year. I highly doubt Thomas ever covers a kickoff or punt, though.

Decker could definitly be playing ST this year.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:41 PM
McKinley and Willis have been in the NFL for 4 years? I wasn't aware.

But based on your logic, Jerry Rice should have been a lock to make the Broncos when he tried out for us at the end of his career. I mean, his tape was WAY better than some of the scrubs who beat him out.

Oh nevermind, Shanahan actually based it on how good the players were at THAT point in time instead of looking 4 years in the past..

Serioulsy, are you dumb? Or do you think Im dumb, so your talking dumb?

I was talking about Lloyd. I thought you'd figure that out being a Broncos fan and all...

By looking at Jerrys last 3 years of game film, he wouldnt have been a lock. His last two years were just terrible.

You look at tape not just as a whole, but chronologically. You know, last year might be a little more important (and relevent) than 5 year ago. Sounds crazy I know.

Tempus Fugit
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM

By looking at Jerrys last 3 years of game film, he wouldnt have been a lock. His last two years were just terrible.

You look at tape not just as a whole, but chronologically. You know, last year might be a little more important (and relevent) than 5 year ago. Sounds crazy I know.

The last film on Stokely is of him only getting 19 catches in 2009. It's not as if he's aced out the competition based upon that film.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I agree if we can get one more season out of Stokley I'm all for it but I just think he has up hill battle on his hands to make the team.

I mean, Uphill battle?

Stokes was better last year than McKinley, Lloyd, and Willis combined.

Niether McKinley or Willis even caught pass. Zero receptions. And Lloyd was just well, dissapointing Lloyd (8 reps, 117 yrds). You guys can get all excited about the amazing things these guys do in OTAs and TC, but they havent produced at all on the field where it matters. Stokes is way ahead of these guys. In my mind its his job to lose, so unless somebody beats him out, Stokes stays.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
The last film on Stokely is of him only getting 19 catches in 2009. It's not as if he's aced out the competition based upon that film.

And 3 TDs.

Your right though, Stokes is no lock. But its his position to lose, and whats the argument for the other guys if its not stats, STs? Not in itself.

Stokes stats dont blow you away, but compared to McKinleys, Lloyds and Willis combined they do.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM

I was talking about Lloyd. I thought you'd figure that out being a Broncos fan and all...

Ok, Lloyd is one WR. There are plenty of other guys competing for those last few spots.

Plus, you just contradicted yourself. You are advocating for Stokley but also saying the most recent game tape matters the most. Well in his most recent tape, he was invisible last season with 19 catches. Take away the fluke Cincy play and he only had 240 yards last season. That hardly screams "lock to make the team" like you seem to think.

And before you give me that "that's still more catches than Willis and Mckinley combined" bullshit, you have to remember that they were both very young and inexperienced and hadn't gotten their chance to show what they can do yet. And that is exactly what training camp is for. If either of those guys outshine Stokley in camp, what good reason would Denver have to keep him?

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Stokes stats dont blow you away, but compared to McKinleys, Lloyds and Willis combined they do.

This is such a TERRIBLE argument. Other than Lloyd, none of the other guys really had a chance to prove themselves being stuck behind guys like Marshall, Royal, and Gaffney all season. Of course Stokley's stats were better since last season he probably was a bit better than them. That was last year though, this is now. Lots of things can change in a year and Stokley definitely isn't getting any better.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok, Lloyd is one WR. There are plenty of other guys competing for those last few spots.

Plus, you just contradicted yourself. You are advocating for Stokley but also saying the most recent game tape matters the most. Well in his most recent tape, he was invisible last season with 19 catches. Take away the fluke Cincy play and he only had 240 yards last season. That hardly screams "lock to make the team" like you seem to think.

And before you give me that "that's still more catches than Willis and Mckinley combined" bullshit, you have to remember that they were both very young and inexperienced and hadn't gotten their chance to show what they can do yet. And that is exactly what training camp is for. If either of those guys outshine Stokley in camp, what good reason would Denver have to keep him?

So you called my rebuttle out by calling it bullshit before I even said it (which I was), only to infact spew actual bullshit. Your good.

Willis and McKinley HAVE shown what they can do. They played in the NFL before. There not rookies. And they still have to prove themselves as legitmate WRs to beat Stokes, which hasnt happened. It can.

Maybe they made strides this offseason. Who knows. But until then, they're both nobodys in the NFL where as Stokes is a proven veteren. Hes ahead as of now.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 10:50 PM
All I've read about all offseason as far as the WR position is how much McKinley and Willis are improving and making strides and about how Royal is looking much better. Really haven't heard a peep about Stokley. I don't think he is nearly as far in the lead as you think he is. When you have players who are relatively equal but one is younger and cheaper, you ALWAYS go with that guy. Unless Stokley shows something special in camp, he could very well be done.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 10:50 PM
This is such a TERRIBLE argument. Other than Lloyd, none of the other guys really had a chance to prove themselves being stuck behind guys like Marshall, Royal, and Gaffney all season. Of course Stokley's stats were better since last season he probably was a bit better than them. That was last year though, this is now. Lots of things can change in a year and Stokley definitely isn't getting any better.

In order to have the oppurtunity to prove yourself on the field, you have to earn it. Willis and Mckinley never did that thus far.

Them not earning an opportunity to play is all on McKinley and Willis.

DenBronx
08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Brandon Stokley doesn't play special teams.

Regardless, Stokley is a top-flight professional and I wish him the best. Maybe I'm wrong, and I kind of hope I'm wrong because of how valuable his leadership is.

I didn't go through and read all the comments on this thread but Stokely does play on Special Teams. He is on the "hands unit" on onside kick formations.

Also, with all of these new young WR's we really need the leadership and coaching abilities from Stokely. Maybe he will fall on the depth chart but I don't see us cutting the slot machine this year.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 10:56 PM
All I've read about all offseason as far as the WR position is how much McKinley and Willis are improving and making strides and about how Royal is looking much better. Really haven't heard a peep about Stokley. I don't think he is nearly as far in the lead as you think he is. When you have players who are relatively equal but one is younger and cheaper, you ALWAYS go with that guy. Unless Stokley shows something special in camp, he could very well be done.

Jarvis Moss this offseason is looking like a badass too! HURRAY HURRAY :beer: OTA training camp reports rule!!! :elefant:

You got it backwards. Unless McKinley, Willis, or Lloyd show something special, they could very well be done in Denver. Again, Stokes job to lose!

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Jarvis Moss this offseason is looking like a badass too! HURRAY HURRAY :beer: OTA training camp reports rule!!! :elefant:

You got it backwards. Unless McKinley, Willis, or Lloyd show something special, they could very well be done in Denver. Again, Stokes job to lose!

When McD was asked who has stood out in TC, he only mentioned one guy: Willis. Didn't say anything about Moss. And this isn't just from McD. Every single report I have read has mentioned how awesome Willis has looked and how many great catches he has made. Really haven't heard anything about Stokley.

Tned
08-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Hard to say. When you have guys like champ covering kicks, it's hard to imagine that they won't throw rookie WR's on special teams.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM
When McD was asked who has stood out in TC, he only mentioned one guy: Willis. Didn't say anything about Moss. And this isn't just from McD. Every single report I have read has mentioned how awesome Willis has looked and how many great catches he has made. Really haven't heard anything about Stokley.

If you put a lot of faith in OTAs and TC reports, then I have the next best thing for you. Check him out. The OTA Smasher, Training Camp Legend, Jarvis Moss! :cheer2: WhoooHoooo!

http://coloradosportsdesk.com/wp/wp-content/broncos-training-camp-day-5-jarvis-moss-returns-to-camp.jpg

Dont let his retarted looks fool you, he had 3 sacks in OTAs against vetern tackle T. Polumbus, in one practice! Polumbus is 6'8!!! :fight:

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
The way you keep deflecting from the actual topic to Jarvis Moss shows that you know you're wrong. Try to stay on topic.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 11:27 PM
The way you keep deflecting from the actual topic to Jarvis Moss shows that you know you're wrong. Try to stay on topic.

Once you tell me how TC reports and OTA reports acctually mean something, then Ill stopped getting derai.... Ohhh THERE HE IS

http://www.2006dualchamps.com/images/Football/Domination.jpg

2011 THE YEAR OF JARVIS MOSS :elefant:

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I mean, Uphill battle?

Stokes was better last year than McKinley, Lloyd, and Willis combined.

Niether McKinley or Willis even caught pass. Zero receptions. And Lloyd was just well, dissapointing Lloyd (8 reps, 117 yrds). You guys can get all excited about the amazing things these guys do in OTAs and TC, but they havent produced at all on the field where it matters. Stokes is way ahead of these guys. In my mind its his job to lose, so unless somebody beats him out, Stokes stays.

Where have I said that I'm all excited over McKinley, Willis, or Lloyd?

Denver kept six receivers on the roster last season. I expect that's not going to change. Of that six Royal, Gaffney, and Lloyd are assured of roster spot. Thomas and Decker are assured a roster spot by virtue of where they were drafted. That leaves one opening and three receivers to fight for it. Stokley has accomplishment on his side but he is also up there in years and has had time staying healthy for the last 3 or 4 seasons. I've already said at least twice in this thread that I like Stokley wouldn't mind him being here for another year but atm I think it's going fighting to keep a spot on the roster.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Once you tell me how TC reports and OTA reports acctually mean something, then Ill stopped getting derai.... Ohhh THERE HE IS

http://www.2006dualchamps.com/images/Football/Domination.jpg

2011 THE YEAR OF JARVIS MOSS :elefant:

If it wasn't for training camp, guys like Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, and Shannon Sharpe would have never had NFL careers. I'm sure they all beat out guys who had more impressive "game tape" at some time in their careers.

Guys make rosters because of great training camps EVERY SINGLE YEAR. You act like this is some uncommon occurrence.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Where have I said that I'm all excited over McKinley, Willis, or Lloyd?

Denver kept six receivers on the roster last season. I expect that's not going to change. Of that six Royal, Gaffney, and Lloyd are assured of roster spot. Thomas and Decker are assured a roster spot by virtue of where they were drafted. That leaves one opening and three receivers to fight for it. Stokley has accomplishment on his side but he is also up there in years and has had time staying healthy for the last 3 or 4 seasons. I've already said at least twice in this thread that I like Stokley wouldn't mind him being here for another year but atm I think it's going fighting to keep a spot on the roster.

You said Stokes is facing an uphill battle. I was just saying its more like a leisurely stroll through a decadent flower garden. Thats all.

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2010, 11:48 PM
If it wasn't for training camp, guys like Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, and Shannon Sharpe would have never had NFL careers. I'm sure they all beat out guys who had more impressive "game tape" at some time in their careers.

Guys make rosters because of great training camps EVERY SINGLE YEAR. You act like this is some uncommon occurrence.

Reports. TC Reports. OTA reports. They dont matter. At all. Unless your.....The OTA Killer, Traing Camp Thriller, JARVIS MOSS!!!:beer:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/08/images/OT_251477_BORC_gators_9.jpg

WATCH OUT!!!

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 11:50 PM
You said Stokes is facing an uphill battle. I was just saying its more like a leisurely stroll through a decadent flower garden. Thats all.

You're entitled to feel that way but I don't see it as a leisurely stroll.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Reports. TC Reports. OTA reports. They dont matter. At all. Unless your.....The OTA Killer, Traing Camp Thriller, JARVIS MOSS!!!:beer:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/08/images/OT_251477_BORC_gators_9.jpg

WATCH OUT!!!

I give the examples you asked for and still all you can do is talk about Jarvis Moss.

I've only seen you post in 2 threads and you've come across as not knowing what you're talking about in either one. Have a nice day sir. :salute:

Elevation inc
08-02-2010, 01:42 AM
no flaming here im starting to think it will be Thomas, Gaffney, Royal, Lloyd, Decker for sure....that final spot will come down to stokes, willis, Mckinnely.....willis, Mckinnely offer special teams value.....but stokes is the kind of vet player MCD loves.....i could see a scenario where stokes stays, mckinnely gets cut and willis goes to PS.....that being said Mckinnely also was reported to have a great spring.....i really belive we are quite deep at Wr this year.....so no matter who gets that final spot.....we will be set at WR no matter.

Bosco
08-02-2010, 02:17 AM

I think you're going to be sadly disappointed. Stokley's competition for the Z receiver spot is Eddie Royal, Kenny McKinley and Matthew Willis. We obviously know he's not going to take Royal's spot while McKinley and Willis both offer youth and special teams ability that Stokley doesn't have.

Unless Stokley plays absolutely lights out or we see injuries in the receiving corp, he will almost certainly be wearing another uniform in 2010.

Poet
08-02-2010, 02:38 AM
First off, I wish they cut him last year.

Second off, I doubt he gets cut. I understand that a lot of guys are getting good reviews, but it's TC.

He's a veteran player with some juice left. He'll do all the little things right and most teams have 6-7 WR's on their team. I can't imagine him being cut for anything other than a cut and resign contract workout.

Dirk
08-02-2010, 05:35 AM
I wasn't planning on needing a new sig this year......but with Stokes possibly on his way out and the possibility of Tebow starting late in the year I may need one. (pokes at Shake) :D

Tned
08-02-2010, 07:16 AM
no flaming here im starting to think it will be Thomas, Gaffney, Royal, Lloyd, Decker for sure....that final spot will come down to stokes, willis, Mckinnely.....willis, Mckinnely offer special teams value.....but stokes is the kind of vet player MCD loves.....i could see a scenario where stokes stays, mckinnely gets cut and willis goes to PS.....that being said Mckinnely also was reported to have a great spring.....i really belive we are quite deep at Wr this year.....so no matter who gets that final spot.....we will be set at WR no matter.

You could be right, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lloyd gone when it all washes out.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 07:31 AM

I agree and I also the same top five which leaves one open spot.

Of the top five I would agree that Lloyd is the most vunerable to being cut.

Superchop 7
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I think Decker is a practice squad candidate.

I think Stokely is trade bait.

Willis was very impressive.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Welcome to Broncos Forums. :welcome:

I doubt Decker goes to the practice squad because where he was drafted.

If it looks like Stokley isn't going to make it maybe they do try and trade him, we'll see.

Elevation inc
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
You could be right, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lloyd gone when it all washes out.

eh doubtful he inked a 2 year extension before the season where as stokely is on his last year........mckinnely is a 5th rd pick and willis is legit PS material if needed....im pretty confident lloyd will be here this season.....

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Thomas
Gaffney
Royal
Decker
McKinley

Stokley gets cut, or else stays if Denver keeps 6 WR's.

Willis goes to practice squad if he doesn't get picked up by another team.

Lloyd, who cares.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Thomas
Gaffney
Royal
Decker
McKinley

Lloyd, who cares.

We went with six receivers last year so I think we'll go with six this year as well.

Lonestar
08-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Thomas
Gaffney
Royal
Decker
McKinley

Lloyd, who cares.

because of all the youth this year at WR we will go with 7 plus a PS guy.

Did not think Stokely would be around but apparently he found his mojo yesterday.

topscribe
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Thomas
Gaffney
Royal
Decker
McKinley

Lloyd, who cares.

What bothers me about that, Silk, is that the two most mentioned names so
far this year seem to be Lloyd and Willis.

Regrettably, I believe Stokley gets the axe, and the determining factor there
is Special Teams . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
What bothers me about that, Silk, is that the two most mentioned names so
far this year seem to be Lloyd and Willis.

Regrettably, I believe Stokley gets the axe, and the determining factor there
is Special Teams . . .

-----

I think it's the nature of camp, because they are the ones battling for spots they get the most attention. Last year Kenny McKinley was easily the best WR in camp, as well as the preseason games, and then once the season rolled around you didn't even hear from him.

Bosco
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

The only way Lloyd goes is if Demaryius Thomas absolutely lights it up. Otherwise they'll need him to help play the X receiver spot.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I think it's the nature of camp, because they are the ones battling for spots they get the most attention. Last year Kenny McKinley was easily the best WR in camp, as well as the preseason games, and then once the season rolled around you didn't even hear from him.

I don't remember McKinley getting that much love last year. :whoknows:

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't remember McKinley getting that much love last year. :whoknows:

He's the only WR I ever heard about in camp last year, and led 2 of our preseason games in yards and had the most catches of anyone on the rsoter.

claymore
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Todd Devoe was lights out too.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Todd Devoe was lights out too.

:lol: True.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
He's the only WR I ever heard about in camp last year, and led 2 of our preseason games in yards and had the most catches of anyone on the rsoter.

I don't remember hearing much about him in camp. In the preseason you know as well as I do that McKinley was going up against primarily 3rd and 4th units.

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't remember hearing much about him in camp. In the preseason you know as well as I do that McKinley was going up against primarily 3rd and 4th units.

I read those updates every day. The ones with the lame "Kyle Orton just beat Andre Goodman on a slant in the corner of the endzone to Kenny McKinley for a TD", that basically told us nothing. Other than the circus show Brandon Marshall was putting on, it was the only other repeatingly highlighted WR in the daily updates, with the ocassional Jabar Gaffney thrown in.

And I think it's irrelevant what units McKinley was going up against. Stokley was resting, Marshall was crying, Gaffeny wasn't yet entrenched as a player, and Royal was beginning to show his amazing disappearing act that would linger with him throughout the entire season.

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I read those updates every day. The ones with the lame "Kyle Orton just beat Andre Goodman on a slant in the corner of the endzone to Kenny McKinley for a TD", that basically told us nothing. Other than the circus show Brandon Marshall was putting on, it was the only other repeatingly highlighted WR in the daily updates, with the ocassional Jabar Gaffney thrown in.

And I think it's irrelevant what units McKinley was going up against. Stokley was resting, Marshall was crying, Gaffeny wasn't yet entrenched as a player, and Royal was beginning to show his amazing disappearing act that would linger with him throughout the entire season.

I'm let it go after this but I think it matters quite a bit because after the preseason he didn't play.

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm let it go after this but I think it matters quite a bit because after the preseason he didn't play.

That's my point exactly. Which is why I'm not buying all this Matt Willis hype. Exact same situation with Todd devoe, like Clay stated.

Buff
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm willing to bet the Colts would sign him pretty quickly if we let him go. But I agree that its not a foregone conclusion he'll be here.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I always got the impression... feeling... that McD and Stokely didn't have the most "ideal" relationship after Cutler was traded. I said it when I read something before and I agree with Silk here... I think Silk gets cut.

dogfish
08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm willing to bet the Colts would sign him pretty quickly if we let him go. But I agree that its not a foregone conclusion he'll be here.

they're totally stacked at receiver-- why would they want him back?

Slick
08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I always got the impression... feeling... that McD and Stokely didn't have the most "ideal" relationship after Cutler was traded. I said it when I read something before and I agree with Silk here... I think Silk gets cut.

I hope to hell Silk doesn't get cut. I will leave the forums.

dogfish
08-02-2010, 04:47 PM

if mcdaniels could cut posters, this whole place woulda got the axe a LOOOOOONG time ago!

:lol::lol:

arapaho2
08-02-2010, 04:56 PM

decker only goes to the practise squad if the broncos dont care about losing him.

devoe was impressive
nate jackson was impressive
k colbert was pre season impressive
watts was impresive
q morgan was impressive
D terrel was impressive
david kircus was a beast

what willis does in camp means nothing yet

Ravage!!!
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Ooops... that was supposed to be "I bet Stokes gets cut"...

Bosco
08-02-2010, 06:26 PM
I always got the impression... feeling... that McD and Stokely didn't have the most "ideal" relationship after Cutler was traded. That was Mike Leach that Stokley publicly defended, not Cutler. Cutler had very little backing from his teammates, and Marshall/Scheffler were the only ones willing to go public with their support.

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
LMAO If people could cut posters, i'm pretty sure I would be high on the priority cut list.

I also agree with Rav when he says he felt like Stokley and McDaniels weren't on the same page last year, or just the simple implication that something was missing between those two. I felt like Stokley just wasn;t in on any plans/packages for whatever reason. It felt like he was simply used as a fill in role.

dogfish
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
stokley was an afterthought last year. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
08-02-2010, 06:47 PM

Pretty much like anyone not named Marshall or Gaffney was an afterthought last year. Gaffney really only was highly utilized in week 17.

dogfish
08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
How's Stokley on the bubble screen?

:drinking:

-Claymore

TXBRONC
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM

-Claymore

He's probably better than Gaffney. :heh:

topscribe
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
decker only goes to the practise squad if the broncos dont care about losing him.

devoe was impressive
nate jackson was impressive
k colbert was pre season impressive
watts was impresive
q morgan was impressive
D terrel was impressive
david kircus was a beast

what willis does in camp means nothing yet

You're right, Rap. It's still a long time until the season starts.

Although I don't recall ever being impressed by David Terrel . . .

-----

LTC Pain
08-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Just my two cents. Thomas, Gaffney, Royal and Decker for sure. Mckinnely and Willis grab the last two WR spots. 2nd best guess, if the Broncos keep Lloyd or Stokely it pushes Willis to the practice squad.

frauschieze
08-02-2010, 08:47 PM

-Claymore

"Bubble screen" is profane. I'm petitioning Tned to add it to the language filter. :mad:

dogfish
08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
"Bubble screen" is profane. I'm petitioning Tned to add it to the language filter. :mad:

but it'll take clay months to figure out something to replace it in his repertoire!

rcsodak
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM

Who? :confused:

rcsodak
08-02-2010, 11:10 PM

I believe it's called "injured". :shocked:

dogfish
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I believe it's called "injured". :shocked:

nope. . . he appeared in all 16 games last year, at no point was he too injured to play. . . .

call him old, ineffective, or just plain underused, but he wasn't hurt. . .

Ravage!!!
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
nope. . . he appeared in all 16 games last year, at no point was he too injured to play. . . .

call him old, ineffective, or just plain underused, but he wasn't hurt. . .

Not welcomed, unliked, not-bowing low enough, but he wasn't hurt

Buff
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
they're totally stacked at receiver-- why would they want him back?

Intangibles, veteran depth and because his best friend Peyton pretty much calls the shots over there. Garcon and Collie look good, but I wouldn't say they're stacked with Gonzalez coming off injury.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Intangibles, veteran depth and because his best friend Peyton pretty much calls the shots over there. Garcon and Collie look good, but I wouldn't say they're stacked with Gonzalez coming off injury.

I think I would. Wayne, Gonzalez, Collie, Garcon, Clark... where would stokely fit?

I like Stokes a lot, and would hope he could go back to the Colts. I just see that happening.

dogfish
08-05-2010, 05:23 AM

i wanted to come back to this topic because i was at practice today, and demaryius thomas was on the kickoff coverage unit. . . if you stop and think about for a moment, we had champ bailey on the kick coverage teams last year-- if they'll put him out there, no rookie is too valuable, for damn sure. . .

drewloc
08-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone think it would be likely that we only keep 2 TEs instead of 3? That could open up a roster spot. With us running a lot of 4-5 WR sets, would this be a surprise?

Lonestar
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
i wanted to come back to this topic because i was at practice today, and demaryius thomas was on the kickoff coverage unit. . . if you stop and think about for a moment, we had champ bailey on the kick coverage teams last year-- if they'll put him out there, no rookie is too valuable, for damn sure. . .

Yet Josh commented that it may have been returning kicks on ST that may have lead to Royal being over used last year.

There is a balancing act.

I'm guessing that they will be held back somewhat to allow them to learn the OPB and to keep them fresher later in the year.

Bosco
08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Not welcomed, unliked, not-bowing low enough, but he wasn't hurt

IIRC wasn't he battling some kind of leg injury for most of the season?

Buff
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I think I would. Wayne, Gonzalez, Collie, Garcon, Clark... where would stokely fit?

I like Stokes a lot, and would hope he could go back to the Colts. I just see that happening.

Clark is a TE. One injury and they have a need at WR. Manning and stokes are best friends. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Ravage!!!
08-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Clark is a TE. One injury and they have a need at WR. Manning and stokes are best friends. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

I know Clark is a TE.. I'm just saying that the team is just stacked everywhere. They had injuries last year to Gonzalez, and seemed to be just fine... going to the Super Bowl and all. ;)

I see what you are saying. LIke you said, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens... but my guess is that it doesn't.

dogfish
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
dallas clark may as well be a wide receiver anyway, he's barely a tight end in anything more than name-- he probably lines up in the slot more frequently than tight to the formation. . . and look at a lot of the routes he runs-- you'll find way more vertical stuff and far fewer five-yard outs and curls than a typical TE, even in today's more wide-open offenses. . .

in any case, stokes does get a step closer to a roster spot with mckinley being placed on IR. . . i still think we go with royal, gaffney, lloyd, thomas, decker and willis at the end of the day, but the competition did get whittled down by one. . .

Bosco
08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Well with McKinley out, Stokley's chances of sticking just improved significantly.

TXBRONC
08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Well if have a look on your face anything like your avatar no one would be able to tell if you're surprised. :D

Seriously, I see your point, however now with McKinley on IR his chances sticking improved quite a bit.

BroncoWave
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Anyone still think Stokley makes the team? Lloyd looked great tonight and Willis is getting better every week.

Northman
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I didnt like his chances before. With his age and lack of looks, playing time i think McD will just go with the young bloods.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I didnt like his chances before. With his age and lack of looks, playing time i think McD will just go with the young bloods.

I don't think McD keeps him... but I don't think his looks have anything to do with it :beer:

Bosco
08-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Anyone still think Stokley makes the team? Lloyd looked great tonight and Willis is getting better every week.

Neither of them have the skillset to be Royal's backup though. That's limited to Stokley and McKinley (now on IR). Had McKinley not been injured I think Stokley is probably looking for a job, but now he almost has one by default.

BroncoWave
08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Neither of them have the skillset to be Royal's backup though. That's limited to Stokley and McKinley (now on IR). Had McKinley not been injured I think Stokley is probably looking for a job, but now he almost has one by default.

Disagree. The best players are going to make the team, even if that means that we are a bit thin at Royal's spot. Stokely has been completely invisible this preseason and not involved in the offense. You say no one on our roster has the skillset to be Royal's backup but our offense got along just fine tonight without Stokley after Royal went out.

I just don't see how you can justify keeping him over Willis or Lloyd the way they have looked in camp and the preseason.

Buff
08-30-2010, 12:04 AM

No chance. I don't see how you cut Willis, especially with Stokley's history of injuries and the fact that he is injured right now.

Too bad, the guy was really clutch on 3rd downs.

Bosco
08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Disagree. The best players are going to make the team, even if that means that we are a bit thin at Royal's spot. Stokely has been completely invisible this preseason and not involved in the offense. You say no one on our roster has the skillset to be Royal's backup but our offense got along just fine tonight without Stokley after Royal went out.

I just don't see how you can justify keeping him over Willis or Lloyd the way they have looked in camp and the preseason.

As Buff mentioned, Stokley has been hurt this preseason. I doubt that's going to matter though as the coaches know what they have in him.

While I agree with your premise, not all receiver positions are created equal, and in McDaniels offense they are more specialized than most. The only other guy besides Royal who has the quickness to run those quick short routes with excellence is Stokley, and his only real competition is on IR now.

You notice that once we took Royal out, most of the short passing routes went with him. Considering that position is basically 1B in the passing progression, you can't afford to not have a legit backup there if Royal were to go down for any amount of time.

Willis is a bit of a wild card to me. He's not really quick enough to be Royal's backup at the Z spot, and he's not really tall enough to play the X receiver role with Lloyd and Thomas, so that just leaves him in competition with Gaffney and Decker at the Y spot, and he's not going to beat out either of them. I do think it's possible that he sticks as a 7th receiver, but I wouldn't count on that.

Chances are, we go into game days with this.

X: Lloyd, Thomas
Z: Royal, Stokley
Y: Gaffney, Decker

Buff
08-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Willis is #2 on the depth chart ahead of Decker, and we know Decker isn't going anywhere... Nor has Decker performed well enough to surpass Willis. Plus Willis is listed as the #3 KR and PR.

I just don't see how Stokley stays over Willis who plays ST.

Bosco
08-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Willis is #2 on the depth chart ahead of Decker, and we know Decker isn't going anywhere... Nor has Decker performed well enough to surpass Willis. Plus Willis is listed as the #3 KR and PR.

I just don't see how Stokley stays over Willis who plays ST.

Willis and Stokley have different roles. They are not in direct competition with one another. It's also too late to really pull any tricks to keep Decker off the active roster either, so unless we keep 7 guys I don't see how Willis has a job here.

Buff
08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Willis and Stokley have different roles. They are not in direct competition with one another. It's also too late to really pull any tricks to keep Decker off the active roster either, so unless we keep 7 guys I don't see how Willis has a job here.

I think Willis has played his way into a job. Mort, Schlereth and others have also said they believe Stokley is the odd man out.

McD is likely to use the logic that both Jabar, Eddie and Willis can play slot in a pinch, and since the last WR spot will likely come down to Willis or Stokley, Willis gets the nod for his preseason performance and his versatility - plus he's younger and cheaper.

Bosco
08-30-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't think it will play out that way, but it's certainly not out of the question.

getlynched47
08-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Chances are, we go into game days with this.

X: Lloyd, Thomas
Z: Royal, Stokley
Y: Gaffney, Decker

One thing you forget is that Lloyd, Royal, Willis, Gaffney, and even Decker have seen playing time in the slot as well. The benefit is that any of those guys I mentioned also play on the outside, whereas Stokley does not/will not play on the outside.

He might have done it in 2008, but that was quickly shown to be a bad idea. If versatility is the mantra that McDaniels preaches, then Stokley does not fit in.

Buff
08-30-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't think it will play out that way, but it's certainly not out of the question.

I'd like to see both Stokley and Willis stay because they can both help this team... But I'd also like to see us keep Syd'quan Thompson on defense after his performance tonight, hold a spot for Doom in case he gets healthy for the playoffs, carry an extra RB because we're thin due to injury, etc. etc.

Tough decisions abound, but I think Stokley's injuries, age and the fact that he doesn't play special teams ultimately cost him his job.

topscribe
08-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I'd like to see both Stokley and Willis stay because they can both help this team... But I'd also like to see us keep Syd'quan Thompson on defense after his performance tonight, hold a spot for Doom in case he gets healthy for the playoffs, carry an extra RB because we're thin due to injury, etc. etc.

Tough decisions abound, but I think Stokley's injuries, age and the fact that he doesn't play special teams ultimately cost him his job.

Betcha Stokes gets put on PUP. That will buy them, I think, about five weeks,
won't it?--To see what they're going to do?

-----

Timmy!
08-30-2010, 02:42 AM
I've always been a fan of Stokes, but with the way Lloyd and Willis have played in the preseason, I just can't see how we keep him. If we do cut Stokes it will probably be today (Monday) so he can get on with another team. Just don't see how we keep 7 WR's, and Willis and Lloyd simply make this team due to performance. We keep Bebe, Gaff, Royal, Decker, Lloyd, Willis. Thanks for all the hard works and good luck Stokes.

Buff
08-30-2010, 03:01 AM

-----

Good point, that would explain why he hasn't been out there at all.

red98
08-30-2010, 07:43 AM

-----

He's not eligible for PUP.

spikerman
08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
He's not eligible for PUP.

I think he can still go on PUP he would just have to miss the first 6 games. I could be wrong about that though. I think if you put a player on PUP before camp starts they can come off it at any time.

Elevation inc
08-30-2010, 08:15 AM

i agree if we can cut a FA we just signed and had big plans for who started 2 games in ayodele becasue he didnt fit in for special teams we can certainly cut stokley.......i think MCD has some tough calls ahead that are gonna ruffle the fans a bit no matter who stays or goes......

red98
08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I think he can still go on PUP he would just have to miss the first 6 games. I could be wrong about that though. I think if you put a player on PUP before camp starts they can come off it at any time.

Right but he wasn't put on pup before training camp so he's not eligible for pup.

Mike
08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I think if McD was going to cut him, he would have done it early to give Stokes a chance to catch on with another team.

BroncoJoe
08-30-2010, 09:42 AM
McD will keep him around until the last minute. Cut him and then hire him as a coach.

topscribe
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Right but he wasn't put on pup before training camp so he's not eligible for pup.

Does anybody know the rules about this? I heard one set of announcers mention
it as they discussed Stokley - I don't know whether it was on KOA or FOX (I was
switching the sound back and forth while watching the game on TV), but I didn't
pay close enough attention to it . . .

-----

Tempus Fugit
08-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Does anybody know the rules about this? I heard one set of announcers mention
it as they discussed Stokley - I don't know whether it was on KOA or FOX (I was
switching the sound back and forth while watching the game on TV), but I didn't
pay close enough attention to it . . .

-----

If you take part in even one practice during training camp, you are not eligible for PUP.

Lonestar
08-30-2010, 11:02 AM
If he repoorted to TC and WAS use or took part at all he can not be PUP.

PUP is just for players that can't pass the incoming phyiscal and are declared pup before camp starts.

Lonestar
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
As old and injury prone as he is as well as not playing on ST. I think he is gone even though his exprience as one of the best ever slot players.

Unless they cut Quinn he will be a numbers casualty. Or they can IR him.to keep him around to help teach the kiddies. He still gets paid just can't play this year.

topscribe
08-30-2010, 11:19 AM

If you take part in even one practice during training camp, you are not eligible for PUP.

If he repoorted to TC and WAS use or took part at all he can not be PUP.

PUP is just for players that can't pass the incoming phyiscal and are declared pup before camp starts.

Okay, thanks. I was ignorant of those particular rules.

Under those circumstances, with those young bucks shining as they are, and
Fast Eddie and sometimes Decker doing their thing in the slot, I don't know
how they possibly keep Stokes around. He has been one of my favorite
players, but it is what it is . . .

-----

Lonestar
08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I like him for his veteran savvy and would love to keep him for that but no way he would clear waivers.

getlynched47
09-04-2010, 12:46 PM
As old and injury prone as he is as well as not playing on ST. I think he is gone even though his exprience as one of the best ever slot players.

Unless they cut Quinn he will be a numbers casualty. Or they can IR him.to keep him around to help teach the kiddies. He still gets paid just can't play this year.

That's a good idea. I would move Brandon Stokley to IR, just to keep him around for his veteran presence.

pnbronco
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
McD will keep him around until the last minute. Cut him and then hire him as a coach.

Fingers and toes crossed this ends up happening. He and McD get along so well and he's great friends with Orton. It's just won't be the same with him gone. I know that Brandon has to do what's best for him and his family, but would I ever love to see this happen.