PDA

View Full Version : 8/01/10 am Camp Report

pnbronco
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
All of you know how much I hate doing this, but since I care for so many of you here we go.

We were sitting right in front of Moreno when he went down, he grabbed that back of his thigh and could not stand up. Greek came over and they were talking then, one guy on each side helped him up. He hopped down the field and then they brought out the cart.

QB's......Tebow lovers were in full vocal's there today. Every time the man touched the ball there were cheers, even the really crappy throws. He showed me today that he is indeed a rookie. I could see sparks here and there, but he is slow at checking and it is only day one of camp. Had some real wobbles, threw down instead of out. There were also some nice passes and one long one to Willis that stretched and Willis made a wonderful pass. He did some Wildcat and it looked nice, but in all honestly if they were going full run and D could hit him they would of.

Quinn had some great passes. I remember seeing a particular beauty to Royal and again Willis shined more than once with Quinn. For someone learning the system I would say he is ahead of what Orton and Simms were at this time last year.

Orton was making decisions so much faster today, quicker than I had ever seen him make. He's checking off faster. Developing a nice rhythm with Gaff, Lloyd and Royal. Also he was working out on drills with Thomas and I was loving what I was seeing. I would never have guess that Thomas was a rookie, he is smooth out there and has IMO a natural ability that I have not seen in long time. Also Decker was not doing the drills close to me will Orton but his routes seem really sharp to me. He had some great cuts and is really engaged in doing the best that he can. I'm really glad that Thomas is in camp I could see a chemistry developing between him and Orton even on day one.

Alphonso Smith seemed to be more disruptive to me this year. He kept a couple of plays from developing on his side. Also Mario Haggan broke up a nice pass his way. Dawkins almost had a interception and I can't remember who threw it, but he did his normal self imposed push ups when he didn't come down with the ball. He's all energy out there and such a great mentor to the young ones about putting it all out there, even if it is practice.

Oh that was another thing. When they were doing RB, trench drills lots of loud hitting coming out of all that.

Moreno was looking so good before he went down. He was hitting the holes so much faster this year. There was a noticeable difference between him and Buck this year. Since he left early I got to see quite a bit of Bruce Hall, Lance Ball and Kolby Smith. Ball and Smith stood out more IMO and Ball the most, seemed to hit the holes faster and just more in rhythm.

The crowd was nuts.....so many people there. We left the house at 6:00 this am and I was glad we did. We could of gotten a spot to sit ok, but you could tell the parking lot was filling up fast. Not sure if I'm going this afternoon, but will share if I do.....pn

honz
08-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I love you.

frauschieze
08-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I love you.

I was going to post that.

Let's fight.

underrated29
08-01-2010, 03:32 PM
But I love her more. So you all can suck it!

P- I am going to try to go on either monday afternoon, tuesday and thursday am...(have a wedding that night)

Italianmobstr7
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
P thanks so much! Love to hear what's going on from someone who is there!

honz
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Polygamy may be the best compromise here, folks.

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I was going to post that.

Let's fight.

I love you Frau.

Btw PN thanks for the report.

pnbronco
08-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Let's clear something up...I love all of you or I would not write these things....I hate writing. I just know that so many of our great fans live out of state so I'll do the best I can. I don't play Madden so I don't know formations, but I'll describe things the best that I can. Also all opinions are my own.........:D

Northman
08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Let's clear something up...I love all of you or I would not write these things....I hate writing. I just know that so many of our great fans live out of state so I'll do the best I can. I don't play Madden so I don't know formations, but I'll describe things the best that I can. Also all opinions are my own.........:D

We appreciate your efforts PN. At least i do. :D

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Like Northman it is very much appreciated. I hear ya about writing, it not that I hate it but I'm not gifted at like Dogfish or Tned who are masters of bloviating. :couch:

frenchfan
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I love you.I do agree... Pn deserves a lot of bisous...

That's very nice to have inputs from camp... Especially when you don't have so much about football where I'm living...

Damn, that sucks about Moreno... I felt he could be great this year... I've read that Buck was injured too????
Is the jinks back again here????? :mad:

About the QB... I think that now that Orton has run the system for a year he will show better things... To me he's clearly #1... But good competition will be good... That will force everyone to be better... I won't complain about that... ;) LOL

Quinn has talent but didn't make the transition at the NFL level yet... But he has run a similar type of offense in college so he'll be more comfortable than Simms and far better back up... Then I think I'll have a better chance to show what he can do with someone like McD than he had with the Browns...

Tebow? Give him time... I think he has the tools to be an elite QB... I don't care about his mechanics... To me the most important qualities for a QB are the head and leadership... Now, I hope he'll show us he has a good arm too... LOL... I won't bet on him this year (except on some plays... but he won't run the Broncos now... too early IMO).

A great thanks to you PN... Keep posting this good stuff :salute:

:beer: :kiss:

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Damn, that sucks about Moreno... I felt he could be great this year... I've read that Buck was injured too????
Is the jinks back again here????? :mad:

The last report is that Moreno doesn't have a hamstring tear so I wouldn't give up just that his season is over.

I like Buckhalter but injuries have always been a problem from him.

frauschieze
08-01-2010, 04:41 PM
There is something special about that first person insight into camp. I'm not sure exactly what makes it that way, but I enjoy reading first person accounts of camp more than sportswriters any day.

The fact that you take the time to do something you don't enjoy just so we can feed off of it means so much, P. I cannot thank you enough.

Lonestar
08-01-2010, 04:48 PM
There is something special about that first person insight into camp. I'm not sure exactly what makes it that way, but I enjoy reading first person accounts of camp more than sportswriters any day.

The fact that you take the time to do something you don't enjoy just so we can feed off of it means so much, P. I cannot thank you enough.

Actually the way i see it is we are getting the straight scoop even if it is from a virgins eyes:laugh::laugh:

we know that she or any of our members (well most of them) are telling us the truth. She does not have an agenda like some others may. (well maybe eric decker)

frenchfan
08-01-2010, 04:59 PM
The last report is that Moreno doesn't have a hamstring tear so I wouldn't give up just that his season is over.

I like Buckhalter but injuries have always been a problem from him.Thanks

I hope we'll know more about those injuries soon... I hope Moreno's season is not over... Anyway, we'll have to deal with that... injuries are part of football... Some people will have a chance to show what they can do too... (and sometimes, on those situations, you find a Brady... LOL).

Yeah, I agree with about Buck Tx... Good player, but too injury prone... sadly...

frenchfan
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM

The fact that you take the time to do something you don't enjoy just so we can feed off of it means so much, P. I cannot thank you enough.Yeah... that's true...

Frau, I guess it's the passion effect... When a fan makes a report, he/she will do it with his/her heart... It's much more an insight than what we have with a pro reporter...
And you don't have to be a pro reporter to know football ;)...

MadMax
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Like frau said, thanks a lot for your report. I think hearing it from a fan, you pay attention to the same things us other fans want to hear, I appreciate it a lot. Reporters kind of have this jaded approach to covering camp "nothings important, there's no pads, blah blah".

WARHORSE
08-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Awesome Pola. Thank you very much!!!

Go B R O N C O S.

pnbronco
08-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Tned I will put the pm practice here. If you want to move it and start a new thread please do so. Just let me know what you want for the future.....

The weather was a challenge today. This morning is was hot, not TX hot but dang hot for CO. I hate when you sitting still and sweat is running down your head, buts that's what happened this am. So it clouds up this afternoon and I'm thinking yeah! That old be careful what you wish for, was so true today. So about 1/2 hour before practice it rained and not just a few drops. I didn't have a rain coat and had changed into a short sleeve shirt so I got soaked...again...but a it was a different type of soak, but at least it was cool..:rolleyes:

They started with special teams-punting- again this afternoon. The grass was still wet so they seem to pull back a little more that this am. I noticed Deckers was out there a lot. I also noticed Honeycutt was too. McKinley came in and out a lot, but the funny thing was he likes to put his gloves in bottom part of his face mask. When you first see him walking it's like something out the bar scene of Star Wars.

I'm not sure if it's because Clady isn't out there but there were several guys on the O line that kept getting my attention in just their size and presence. The first was Ryan Harris, when he is standing by himself, he is a big kid. The other was Stanley Daniels...this kid is big, I have no idea how well he's doing, but he seemed very active in the plays and he's big.....

Gem I found myself looking at calfs today.....Deckers are nice but Lloyd and Haggan caught my attention more than once today......;)

It was more relaxed this afternoon. Not so many people, cooler temps, but I'm wondering if maybe the players were a little too relaxed. The made several mistakes in off side, ran out of time and just not as focused as I saw this am. In fact when the practiced was over Coach called them over and talked to them, no yelling, but you could see he was not super happy with what they did tonight. BTW Colquitt kicked some beauties.

Man I hope Stoke stays healthy. Let's face it he is not a pup anymore but he was catching EVERYTHING tonight. Not just from Orton, but from all 3 QB's. He just makes it look so dang easy. I will say that Tebow left him hanging at the end and he came down hard and I was worried, but he popped up. Tebow also connected quite a few times with Deckers.

Graham caught some beauties this evening from Orton. Lloyd was the WR that really stuck out in my mind this afternoon. Willis, Gaff and Thomas all strong.

The other thing I noticed is the DL has gotten some nasty back. Bannan has something that you just can't ignore, his energy was scary from the sidelines. Plus McBean and Fields were playing really strong tonight. There was a running play, can't remember who was caring the ball but he ran into Jarvis Green and bounces off like a ping pong ball...it was that old welcome to the NFL. I can't say the same for the O Line right now, but I know it takes more time for them to get into that groove.

Tony Carter had a nice interception tonight. Champ is Champ and Goodman looking good. I did noticed Alphonso jaming up or whatever you call it again tonight. He seems to have a much better handle of what's going on.

Kyle was the same tonight. Much better at handling the whole thing. Quinn had some nice plays but slower in reading things overall. Tebow is a rookie and is in a learning curve. He had several runs and the crowds were so into him, but what they didn't realize is if this was a real game the D would have hit him hard and quick. Where I was sitting tonight you could see the long passes coming down towards me. I have to say I was surprised what tight spiral Orton had on many of his throws. The other thing I noticed is that when Orton and his WR had a miscommunication he would walk over to them and would talk it all out, I'm seeing a stronger leader from him this year.

The RB that stood out to me again tonight was Ball. He just seemed to hit those holes faster. The next one I noticed again was Kolby Smith.

Thank guys for all your kind words. The crowds were almost overwhelming this am, getting to old to sit 2" from the person next to you in the heat. I went back this afternoon because of all your kind words. Just know that I stay for auto's after practice and then usually have to eat, so if it's a late practice it will be after 10:00 before I post. I will try to go several times this week and will do the best I can with a report.....:D

frenchfan
08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Well... Next time you want to compete in a wet shirt contest, call me before PNie... I don't want to miss that ;) :laugh:

Thanks again for your good report...

I do agree about Stokley... The guy has hands and has experience... May be not as good as he was, but still a nice WR.

I think our DL can be really nasty...

So what's about the receivers... Do you think we'll miss BM according to what you've seen so far?

Well... I think Orton will surprise a lot of people this year... Competition doesn't bother him and he knows that he has only this year to show what he can do (to be traded or to have a good contract with Broncos).

Quinn has to learn things Browns didn't teach him... He wasted his time there... Now, he has a chance to make the transition to the NFL... IMO, he will be a good back up this year... I think he will push Orton but I don't think he will take the job.

Tebow is a rookie indeed... Don't expect too much from him this year... I like that we picked him because I think he has a great potential... I don't want us to "burn" him too early. And I expect McD to teach him the good way ;)
It's true he can be hurt when he runs... But that's part of what he is as a QB... Like #7... He has to prepare to take some hits...

Nice to hear that we still have some RB :)

:beer: & :kiss:

Dirk
08-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Thank you sooooo much for your posts PN. I enjoyed them last year and this year is the same.

BroncoJoe
08-02-2010, 09:59 AM
It's REALLY nice to read observations from a "non-professional". Thanks for letting us know what's happening from a true fan's perspective!

pnbronco
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Well... Next time you want to compete in a wet shirt contest, call me before PNie... I don't want to miss that ;) :laugh:

Thanks again for your good report...

I do agree about Stokley... The guy has hands and has experience... May be not as good as he was, but still a nice WR.

I think our DL can be really nasty...

So what's about the receivers... Do you think we'll miss BM according to what you've seen so far?

Well... I think Orton will surprise a lot of people this year... Competition doesn't bother him and he knows that he has only this year to show what he can do (to be traded or to have a good contract with Broncos).

Quinn has to learn things Browns didn't teach him... He wasted his time there... Now, he has a chance to make the transition to the NFL... IMO, he will be a good back up this year... I think he will push Orton but I don't think he will take the job.

Tebow is a rookie indeed... Don't expect too much from him this year... I like that we picked him because I think he has a great potential... I don't want us to "burn" him too early. And I expect McD to teach him the good way ;)
It's true he can be hurt when he runs... But that's part of what he is as a QB... Like #7... He has to prepare to take some hits...

Nice to hear that we still have some RB :)

:beer: & :kiss:

It's interesting that you asked about Marshall. What I have noticed on the 7 on 7 drills it that the ball is really being spread out. More than I've seen in years even with Cutler. Marshall is a great receiver and can dominate a field, but because of that our QB's had a tendency to lock on to him and not throw it to anyone else.

Thomas body type of very similar to Marshall. If I didn't know he was a rookie I would not have guessed it watching him. I can hear people around me going, oh that's a rookie in a surprised voice. If he can stay healthy I think he can turn into that hard to cover player, he even had a great play on Champ last night.

The other thing that I noticed is that there is something different about Gaffney, and it's a confidence thing. He's just more relaxed and hanging out with Orton and Stok during the warm ups and talking to all the WR's in between plays, but more focus when he's on the field. Last year when all the junk was going on about Marshall you could heal mumbles well Marshall would have caught that. I have not heard his name once out there this year.

The timing between Royal and Orton is looking much better to me this year too. Plus like I said before Willis keeps getting my attention and Lloyd did in a big way last night. Also I'm telling you Stok caught everything and I mean everything, bad throws included last night. Not just from Orton, but all 3 QB's, when he's healthy, he is a difference maker. I think he was hurt a lot last year. We all know what a soft spot I have for Stok so I'm sure I have my colored glasses on when I see him. The other thing I see from him is his ability to be a sounding board for Orton in feedback on a play, they talk a lot. He's also more like a player/coach with the young WR's and I can see him going over things with his hands when there was a miscommunication.

The nice thing about Tebow mania is he is taking the pressure off of Thomas to be in the spot light. I heard Thomas make a comment on the news last night how it's nice for him to be able to be able to just go out there and work and learn what he needs too. Tebow is a good kid and I think will learn what he has too. Everyone says he is such a hard worker and I believe them. He's just raw right now and has a lot to learn about the speed of the NFL. The one thing I have really noticed about this mania thing is the image people have in their mind for him. They cheered every time he got the ball, but had they looked at the play they would have seen how the D player kept pulling up, he would have been sacked for a loss over half the times he touched the ball, so patience is a good thing for the kid and his fans.

Superchop 7
08-02-2010, 10:18 AM
From an athletic standpoint Tebow is the best qb we have.

BUT, in the pocket he has no clue, looks horrible, he will get killed in a game.

It will take a while to get him coached up, but the future is looking better.

frenchfan
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
It's interesting that you asked about Marshall. What I have noticed on the 7 on 7 drills it that the ball is really being spread out. More than I've seen in years even with Cutler. Marshall is a great receiver and can dominate a field, but because of that our QB's had a tendency to lock on to him and not throw it to anyone else.

Thomas body type of very similar to Marshall. If I didn't know he was a rookie I would not have guessed it watching him. I can hear people around me going, oh that's a rookie in a surprised voice. If he can stay healthy I think he can turn into that hard to cover player, he even had a great play on Champ last night.

The other thing that I noticed is that there is something different about Gaffney, and it's a confidence thing. He's just more relaxed and hanging out with Orton and Stok during the warm ups and talking to all the WR's in between plays, but more focus when he's on the field. Last year when all the junk was going on about Marshall you could heal mumbles well Marshall would have caught that. I have not heard his name once out there this year.

The timing between Royal and Orton is looking much better to me this year too. Plus like I said before Willis keeps getting my attention and Lloyd did in a big way last night. Also I'm telling you Stok caught everything and I mean everything, bad throws included last night. Not just from Orton, but all 3 QB's, when he's healthy, he is a difference maker. I think he was hurt a lot last year. We all know what a soft spot I have for Stok so I'm sure I have my colored glasses on when I see him. The other thing I see from him is his ability to be a sounding board for Orton in feedback on a play, they talk a lot. He's also more like a player/coach with the young WR's and I can see him going over things with his hands when there was a miscommunication.

The nice thing about Tebow mania is he is taking the pressure off of Thomas to be in the spot light. I heard Thomas make a comment on the news last night how it's nice for him to be able to be able to just go out there and work and learn what he needs too. Tebow is a good kid and I think will learn what he has too. Everyone says he is such a hard worker and I believe them. He's just raw right now and has a lot to learn about the speed of the NFL. The one thing I have really noticed about this mania thing is the image people have in their mind for him. They cheered every time he got the ball, but had they looked at the play they would have seen how the D player kept pulling up, he would have been sacked for a loss over half the times he touched the ball, so patience is a good thing for the kid and his fans.Thanks Pnie...

Very interesting read... I liked BM the player but not too much the man... Too "TO" for me... He's gone... So we have to deal with that... You're right about spreading the ball... This will force Orton (or whoever would be the QB) to throw to everyone... So yeah... Opponent D wouldn't have to fear one player, but one system... We'll see how it will turn... But, having watched NE playing with no great WR and doing well at passing the ball, I think I can trust this system.

I too like Stokley... There is an intriguing thread where people think he could be cut... :eek: It seems competition will be tough at WR and at many other positions BTW...

Glad to know Thomas is doing the job... Hope he'll perform well...

Tebow... Well... I'm don't have Tebowmania or Tebowhatemania... I don't have a clue about college football... But, from what I know, he has potential... Hard worker, leadership, charism... The good news IMO is that he knows he has to work to make it at the NFL level... He has a good coach for a QB ;)... But he needs time IMO... He'll be #3 this year and learning his job... But I think next year will be different... Just my 2 cents though :D

Bisous.

Traveler
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
It's REALLY nice to read observations from a "non-professional". Thanks for letting us know what's happening from a true fan's perspective!

As a former HS player, I too like to read things from a pure fan prospective.

Having said that, it's easy to get caught up in the hype, so I caution everyone not to get too emotionally partial a certain player(s), only to see them get cut later in training camp. Then wonder how it happened when the observations from those attending TC seemed to convey otherwise (run on sentence or what?) :whoknows::2cents::ponder:.

Keep those great reports coming ladies and gentlemen! Much thanks to everyone providing reports!

Jagsbch
08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
From what I gathered here and there, Lance Ball has made the biggest impact so far, where does Toney Baker fit in from your perspective??

pnbronco
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
From what I gathered here and there, Lance Ball has made the biggest impact so far, where does Toney Baker fit in from your perspective??

There is a lot going on at once, so I don't see everything. Also I don't know any of these young RB's so that I'm not looking for him. I have not noticed Baker so far, but yesterday was day one. The person that would catch my eye more than once was Ball, it would be oh that was good and then I would see it was Ball. I will try to notice Baker more in the future.