PDA

View Full Version : It's playoffs or bust for Broncos' Champ Bailey

Lonestar
08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
It's playoffs or bust for Broncos' Champ Bailey
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

A 32-year-old Champ Bailey won't be smiling at the end of the season if the Broncos don't make the playoffs. (John Leyba, Denver Post file photo )

For some of the players pulling on their Broncos jerseys for the official start of training camp this morning, they will look at their football watches and see what time it is.

And the time is now.

"At this point, personally I've accomplished a lot of things," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "What's frustrating at this point in my career is here we go again to camp, we messed up last season, I can't go through another season like that where we're not in the playoffs. That's all I can ask for, just get in there, give me a chance, give us a chance to win it all.

"So when I get into camp on a day like (today), I'm always a little worried because I haven't played in a Super Bowl, and I know how much work it takes. You want to see how good we're going to be. You want to see if we're all going to do what it takes."
The Broncos haven't been to the playoffs since finishing 13-3 in 2005, then reaching the AFC championship game. For a team with some of its most accomplished players well into the 30-somethings — the team's defense could start as many as nine players at least 30 years old — the career clocks are ticking.

Especially after the historic fade down the stretch last season, when a 6-0 start dissolved into an 8-8 finish. However, Bailey and others say it's important to remember the Broncos were still 8-4 when the season headed into December and still had a playoff chance when they were crushed by the Chiefs in the season finale.

"We've got to have that urgency, to make sure everybody's feeling that, and that's kind of up to some of the older players," Bailey said. "That's the hardest part of it all, just keeping that urgency, doing all the little things from start to finish, just to get in, because once you're in, who knows? But to not get in and go home, it's almost like last place at that point."

"I've always been a guy who pushes for perfection anyway," Broncos safety Brian Dawkins said. "But over the last few years, you do realize the amount of time you have in front of you as a player is not what it was. I've already been blessed to play as long as I have. That sense of now does increase, of doing things now, just because of time."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels spent plenty of the team's resources in free agency and the draft to beef up the offensive and defensive lines. He has also spent a great deal of time in recent months on stopping the bleeding. After the Broncos lost their first game last season — in November to the Ravens — they had two four-game losing streaks over their final 10 games.

They need players who can rebound, recover and gather themselves as well as help others do the

ALL THINGS BRONCOS BLOG

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

same in the huddle and in the locker room.
"To me, it just looks like that's the kind of players they wanted to bring in, guys who know how to work, how to get back up if they get knocked down on a play or in a game," defensive lineman Justin Bannan said. "Look, there's pressure every day in this job; there's tons of people waiting to take your place. So, every day you might as well show up for work and get it done."

"I hate to lose anything; losing (stinks)," Bailey said. "But it's one thing to go out there and do everything you possibly can do, all the little things, all the big things and then you lose. You don't like it, but you know you did what you had to do. And it's another just to go home in the offseason and you didn't even get a chance in the playoffs, not one play. I don't want to do that for any more offseasons because every year, that's one less year I have to help us get it done."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Goin' camping

The Broncos officially open training camp today with their first full-squad workouts of the preseason. Some upcoming key dates:

Aug. 7: Practice, open to the public, at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Aug. 15: Preseason game, at Cincinnati, 5 p.m.

Aug. 21: Preseason game, vs. Detroit, 7 p.m.

Aug. 29: Preseason game, vs. Pittsburgh, 6 p.m.

Aug. 31: Roster cut to 75 players.

Sept. 2: Preseason game, at Minnesota, 6 p.m.

Sept. 4: Roster cut to 53 players.

Sept. 12: Regular-season opener, at Jacksonville, 11 a.m.

Camp facts

Admission: Practices at the team's headquarters are free and open to the public. Gates open one hour before practice.

Parking: Parking is located on the west side of the practice fields and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Seating: There will be no bleachers, but fans will be able to stand and view the practices from selected areas.

Autographs: Players will be designated by position group (WRs, DLs, DBs, etc.) to sign autographs for fans after each practice on the west end of the practice fields.

Prohibited items: Cellphone usage (including texting), lawn chairs, umbrellas and video cameras.

Permitted items: Cameras, soft-sided bags no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches, and small quantities of food and nonalcoholic beverages. Nonalcoholic beverages will be available for purchase.

Practice schedule

Date Morning Afternoon/evening
Today 8:45-10:30 a.m. 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Monday No practice 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 8:45-10:30 a.m. 5:30-7:30 p.m. *
Wed. 8:45-10:30 a.m.* 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Thursday No practice 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Friday 8:45-10:30 a.m. 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Saturday 8:45-10:30 a.m.* 6-8 p.m.**
Aug. 8 No practice 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 10 No practice 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 11 8:45-10:30 a.m. 5:30-7:30 p.m.