PDA

View Full Version : so whats up with mr. selvin young?

underrated29
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
ok beside the awesome save he had for us against the billies. How has he been in the game. I was out of town for a while and got back not to long before our game sunday.

the last thing i heard was that he was hard pressed to make the team. He kept falling down over his feet, and had trouble running up the middle. Then i see him in the game giving travis a breather and hear that mike bell is now a full back

can anyone bring me up to speed?

topscribe
09-14-2007, 12:14 PM
In the last two preseason games, Young provided ample evidence that he is
the fastest, quickest, best RB of the group, after Henry, of course. Shanny
made the comment that he made the others on the field appear as if they
were moving in "slow motion." That, however, was against mostly 2nd and 3rd
stringers.

Last week, however, he got some more chances, this time against starters.
He impressed, even beyond his display of quick thinking when he batted the
ball out of bounds. Perhaps his most impressive play was near the sidelines,
when he had the chance to run out of bounds. Instead, he veered into a LB
and DB and snot and blood was flying everywhere (well, figuratively). I could
actually hear the hit on the TV.

Selvin his going to be all right. :2thumbs:

-----

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
ok beside the awesome save he had for us against the billies. How has he been in the game. I was out of town for a while and got back not to long before our game sunday.

the last thing i heard was that he was hard pressed to make the team. He kept falling down over his feet, and had trouble running up the middle. Then i see him in the game giving travis a breather and hear that mike bell is now a full back

can anyone bring me up to speed?

I don't think he was very hard pressed to make the team he looked very good in preseason. He showed that he can run with power and speed in the preseason.

The Bills safety Whitner got a taste of the power the kid can run with. Selvin was in for Henry and he ran over Whitner. He's also showing he can catch the ball.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't think he was very hard pressed to make the team he looked very good in preseason. He showed that he can run with power and speed in the preseason.

The Bills safety Whitner got a taste of the power the kid can run with. Selvin was in for Henry and he ran over Whitner. He's also showing he can catch the ball.

yeah i just love how selvin blasted whitner and still stayed on his feet while donte flew out of bounds .. . . however i saw whitner get blasted a ton that game

also i think he should have got that one catch, it kind of reminded me of the Troy P int against the colts in the playoffs 2 years ago where he caught it and then on his attempt to get back up it popped out so technically it was a fumble but both were ruled incomplete

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
yeah i just love how selvin blasted whitner and still stayed on his feet while donte flew out of bounds .. . . however i saw whitner get blasted a ton that game

also i think he should have got that one catch, it kind of reminded me of the Troy P int against the colts in the playoffs 2 years ago where he caught it and then on his attempt to get back up it popped out so technically it was a fumble but both were ruled incomplete

Yeah now that you say that, Henry ran over him a few times during the game.

underrated29
09-14-2007, 02:06 PM
thanks guys, i only saw the first preseason game, and dont remember him. he must have tore it up in the next three.

so he has power and speed and can catch, huh. so is he like a LT, or more on the power side like a gore. from his body type i would see him as more of an LT (since you say he has some power.)

ok. this is good but do you guys think he is legit or just a workout worrier type who made some good plays? because honetly i am intrigued by him, but still know very little

topscribe
09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
thanks guys, i only saw the first preseason game, and dont remember him. he must have tore it up in the next three.

so he has power and speed and can catch, huh. so is he like a LT, or more on the power side like a gore. from his body type i would see him as more of an LT (since you say he has some power.)

ok. this is good but do you guys think he is legit or just a workout worrier type who made some good plays? because honetly i am intrigued by him, but still know very little
The kid has an immense upside. According to some authorities, had it not
been for his injuries and flunking out of school (even though he came back
and did fine), Young would have been a first-rounder. So we just possibly
might have stolen two de facto first-rounders: Thomas and Young.

What'ya think of that? :beer:

-----

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 02:35 PM

I guess that depends on what you mean by legit. Do you mean could he be a starter? If that's what you're getting at then I would say we haven't seen nearly enough of him to say wont as long Henry is healthy.

underrated29
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
well excellent top- thanks for the insight.

yeah tx more or less thats what i mean. I guess an easier way to say it would have been. is he just someone who can show the skills in practice and not translate to the field, or has a few big plays here and there, but never really grabbed hold and took control.

For instance, we were all at one time (most of us) really high on wesley duke. He made some great plays during game time, but never really panned out- although i think he blew out his knee.

or the browncos- it looked really good on paper, and the whole staff was high on them, (as was i, and still dont think it was a failed exp.) but now i think we have one original player left from them.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
well excellent top- thanks for the insight.

yeah tx more or less thats what i mean. I guess an easier way to say it would have been. is he just someone who can show the skills in practice and not translate to the field, or has a few big plays here and there, but never really grabbed hold and took control.

For instance, we were all at one time (most of us) really high on wesley duke. He made some great plays during game time, but never really panned out- although i think he blew out his knee.

or the browncos- it looked really good on paper, and the whole staff was high on them, (as was i, and still dont think it was a failed exp.) but now i think we have one original player left from them.

I liked what I saw from him this past Sunday.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately, I just have the feeling that Selvin is going to be another one of those Triandos Luke, B.J. Johnson, Corey Jackson 'feel good' stories that makes his presence known once, and then disappears. I hope he proves me wrong, and I'd really like Denver to have a nice complimentary back for the future, but I'm not exactly high on Young, and I do feel that a mid-round prospect next year would be nice to add into the rotation. Young was an oft-injured player at Texas, and he's already 24 years old as a rookie. He has years in him obviously, but I'd rather see a guy like Amir Pinnix in the backfield spelling Henry this next season, and not Selvin Young.

dogfish
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
he looks kinda-sorta beastly. . . not massively beastly necessarily, but the kid can play. . . i was hoping we'd draft him, and i'm not surprised that he took over the number two spot-- he's far quicker than mike bell and runs with more authority. . . upgrade. . . .

anyone else remember that a guy claiming to be travis henry's cousin started a thread on bmania early in camp, and said that travis had told him that selvin was the best of our backup runners?

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
he looks kinda-sorta beastly. . . not massively beastly necessarily, but the kid can play. . . i was hoping we'd draft him, and i'm not surprised that he took over the number two spot-- he's far quicker than mike bell and runs with more authority. . . upgrade. . . .

anyone else remember that a guy claiming to be travis henry's cousin started a thread on bmania early in camp, and said that travis had told him that selvin was the best of our backup runners?

I remember.

topscribe
09-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately, I just have the feeling that Selvin is going to be another one of those Triandos Luke, B.J. Johnson, Corey Jackson 'feel good' stories that makes his presence known once, and then disappears. I hope he proves me wrong, and I'd really like Denver to have a nice complimentary back for the future, but I'm not exactly high on Young, and I do feel that a mid-round prospect next year would be nice to add into the rotation. Young was an oft-injured player at Texas, and he's already 24 years old as a rookie. He has years in him obviously, but I'd rather see a guy like Amir Pinnix in the backfield spelling Henry this next season, and not Selvin Young.
Last week, when the kid was headed out of bounds, and he veered into
Whitner and put him on the ground, and I could hear the hit over the TV, I
became a believer. I already liked what I saw in him, but that was the
convincer.

Another factor about him that impresses me is his resiliency and his
perseverence. Rather than "oft-injured," he was primarily injured once with
a broken ankle. It was so severe he needed several pins to put it back
together. It appeared his football career was over. He became so depressed
he could no longer do his studies, so he flunked out of school.

Then he came out of it, attended a junior college to get his grades back up,
and came back to Texas, where he rejoined the football team and was
there to throw the block for the winning touchdown run for Young.

In short, the kid has character. I don't know about this guy you mentioned,
but I do know about Young . . . enough, anyway. He has power, is fast,
can block, can catch, and has a substantial amount of character.

I'll take that any day. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Last week, when the kid was headed out of bounds, and he veered into
Whitner and put him on the ground, and I could hear the hit over the TV, I
became a believer. I already liked what I saw in him, but that was the
convincer.

Another factor about him that impresses me is his resiliency and his
perseverence. Rather than "oft-injured," he was primarily injured once with
a broken ankle. It was so severe he needed several pins to put it back
together. It appeared his football career was over. He became so depressed
he could no longer do his studies, so he flunked out of school.

Then he came out of it, attended a junior college to get his grades back up,
and came back to Texas, where he rejoined the football team and was
there to throw the block for the winning touchdown run for Young.

In short, the kid has character. I don't know about this guy you mentioned,
but I do know about Young . . . enough, anyway. He has power, is fast,
can block, can catch, and has a substantial amount of character.

I'll take that any day. :coffee:

-----

I agree, so far I like what I've seen in him. Here's some more food for thought, on the game winning drive he had the presences of mind to just knock the ball out of bounds on that lateral by Jay instead trying to pick it up.

dogfish
09-15-2007, 09:50 AM

sorry man, i don't think you can compare him to traindos luke, for one very good reason-- shenanigans and co. have largely sucked at identifying talent at the WR position (though marshall looks like he may force us to revise our opinions there a bit), but their track record of finding RBs who can be productive in our system is pretty much above reproach. . . . guys like olandis gary and reuben droughns may have been "feel good" stories, but they sure weren't just attempted "sells" by the PR department-- they gave us excellent production given what we spent to acquire them. . .

TXBRONC
09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
sorry man, i don't think you can compare him to traindos luke, for one very good reason-- shenanigans and co. have largely sucked at identifying talent at the WR position (though marshall looks like he may force us to revise our opinions there a bit), but their track record of finding RBs who can be productive in our system is pretty much above reproach. . . . guys like olandis gary and reuben droughns may have been "feel good" stories, but they sure weren't just attempted "sells" by the PR department-- they gave us excellent production given what we spent to acquire them. . .

No kidding, with Shanahan's track record with running backs I don't think anyone can argue that he and Bobby Taylor don't know what they are doing.

underrated29
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
ok, i came, i saw, i liked!!

dude is a speedy little player isnt he. I really like our play where we line him up in single coverage agaisnt a linebacker and throw the 20 30 yard pass to him.

what i dont like is when we do that on 3rd and 2. but this kid does look pretty good and i think that play and some screens, and some draw plays can really get some big gains.

further scouting is requied, but outlook is good.

and yes dogfish, i also remember henry's cousin saying the same thing. and also saying henry likes to fish-

it would be cool to go fishing with those guys- or kupes dad