PDA

View Full Version : Beadles, Walton are the real ones to watch

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15650359

Memo to the nearly 3,000 fans who are expected to show up this morning for the Broncos' first training camp workout: You're going to be watching the wrong kids.

It's easy to become fixated on Tim Tebow, but for the better part of the upcoming season, the rookie quarterback figures to take no more than three to five snaps a game.

Demaryius Thomas, who is 6-feet-3 with a thick core, will look like a first-rounder, and he may even show flashes of first-round skill.

But it's going to be a while before he's ready to become a five-catch- a-game receiver. Almost all rookie receivers need time, particularly those coming off a broken foot and from a run-oriented college program.

The rookies who will have the greatest impact on the 2010 Broncos will be two hefty kids: Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton.

Thomas and Tebow are first-round picks, special players for the future. Beadles and Walton were drafted in the second and third rounds, respectively. They are players for the here and now.

As training camp commences, Beadles will get the first shot to start at left guard, Walton at center.

Can it be done?

"We'll be eager to see that," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "There have been plenty of good players who can contribute and play early on the offensive line as a rookie, and we may or may not have that right away, but I know that there are a lot of guys who will be competing for that."

McDaniels is ready to go forward with Beadles and Walton in part because he knows it can be done. He was New England's quarterbacks coach in 2005 when the Patriots started rookies Logan Mankins at left guard and Nick Kaczur at right tackle. The Patriots won a playoff game that year before Champ Bailey stepped in front of a Tom Brady pass in the end zone.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with the article. I've felt all summer that our offense has the potential to be worse rather than better this year, not just because of the loss of Marshall (because I think Thomas and Decker have the potential to make up for that production as will Eddie Royal if we get him involved), but because of a really young O-line with potentially 2 rookies starting.

Some folks think Hochstein will end up getting the start at C or G over one of the rooks, but I don't see him as an improvement, either. Last year in relief of Hamilton, he didn't exactly shine. Our rushing ypc went down and sacks went up after he came into the lineup.

This offense will live and die by the O-line this year because we no longer have a dynamic bubble screen WR who can make plays after a 3 yd catch like we had last year in Marshall. The O-line must protect Orton to allow the medium passing game to work and must blow open some holes in the running game, specifically on short yardage, or we'll be in the same conundrum we were the last 10 weeks of the season when opposing teams figured out our offense.

I love the rookies we selected for the O-line, but there is a huge potential to have some early growing pains with the O-line if we start 2 of those rookies on it. We'll see, I guess. Right now, I'm hoping for the best.

underrated29
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
While we will see growing pains. There is no way possible that our rooks can be anyworse than weigman and hammy/hochstein last year....Its just not possible.

Plus those guys were essentially rooks to each other and the system.

These TWO ROOKS are going to Solidify our OL esp. JD at C. The line is much improved with them playing.

BroncoWave
08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
While we will see growing pains. There is no way possible that our rooks can be anyworse than weigman and hammy/hochstein last year....Its just not possible.

Plus those guys were essentially rooks to each other and the system.

These TWO ROOKS are going to Solidify our OL esp. JD at C. The line is much improved with them playing.

After 07 everyone said it was not possible for our defense to get worse, then 08 happened. It's always possible to be worse, especially with rookies. I think both of these guys can perform well but it's still to be seen.

underrated29
08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
After 07 everyone said it was not possible for our defense to get worse, then 08 happened. It's always possible to be worse, especially with rookies. I think both of these guys can perform well but it's still to be seen.

Sure its possible, but we would have been better off putting in chris baker at LG.

nevcraw
08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Agreed Horse!
The Oline is by far the most concerning area on the team this year.. If Clady is not back and or up to par and Harris is slow to regain form with addition of the newbies - the offense will be in deep doodoo

Lonestar
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
as the OLINE goes so goes the season.

you win or lose plays at the LOS. Always have always will.

underrated29
08-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Tweet from montrose at OM---JD owned today at C...One play he was pushing ROn fields 4-5 yards back!

My *****.