PDA

View Full Version : Sirius NFL Radio at Broncos Camp -- UPDATE: Notes from the coverage to be posted here

threefolddead
08-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey just a reminder to everyone who has Sirius or XM that on Friday Aug, 6 they'll be at Broncos camp. 1pm Mountain time. They always have a bunch of good interviews with players and coaches!

SoCalImport
08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
That's awesome. Those services are not on offer here, so please, can someone post notes?

Tned
08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Bump as a reminder. Coverage starts in 70 minutes at 1pm Mountain - 3pm Eastern and runs until 5pm Mountain - 7pm Eastern.

Tned
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
If you don't have Sirius Radio or an online listening account, you can sign up for a free month of Sirius Radio streaming (via PC, not satellite radio). You do have to give them a credit card and cancel before the month is up, but if you want to catch this afternoons coverage, it might be worth the hassle.

http://www.sirius.com/siriusinternetradio

Tned
08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll post as much as I can. I've missed some of the coverage and will probably be in and out, but what I have heard so far.

In their opening comments, they focused on three people.

Tebow
Orton
D. Thomas

They said that Tebow has come a LONG way and looked good. Made a lot of improvements to his mechanics already.

They then went on to say that if anyone thinks that any of the QBs are going to supplant Orton, they are in for a surprise. They said compared to last training camp, Orton looked like a different QB. He was moving around in the pocket. Making throws into tight spots. Just playing lights out. They said he looked like he was completely comfortable and in complete control of the offense.

They then talked, or I should say raved, about Demarius (sp??) Thomas. They said that he was very big, looking more like a big TE than a WR, but was also fast and agile. Talked about how he went over the back of A. Smith and grabbed a ball off his helmet. They said he looks like he could be a major playmaker. They also said something along the lines about how most WR don't have an impact their first year, but how this kid could make an impact on offense this year.

They then interviewed Daniel Graham and Brandon Lloyd. I didn't hear all of it, but I did hear Graham talking up Orton big time. Both in terms of how the fans were down on him last year with all the underneath throws, but they have to understand that he made the offense work better than the other guy (not sure if he meant Cutler or Simms, since it was a different offense with Cutler and it was more productive -- that wasn't clear what he meant). Talked about how far he has come and that he looks like he's been in the offense for a couple years, rather than just his second year. A few other things, but basically he was just very complimentary of Orton.

Then, Graham and Lloyd both started raving about Demarius Thomas. Especially talking about his size, mentioning the same TE thing. They were asked if Thomas new how physically gifted he was, and they said probably not. I then had to take a call and missed all of it, but basically they were both raving about Thomas.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
This may be old news, but I haven't been able to follow much camp news this past week.

McDaniels has officially moved Royal to the slot, with Lloyd playing the X and Gaffney I guess playing the Y.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that when they were talking about Thomas, they were saying that the Broncos have a deep WR corp, better than most people think. Talked about Gaffney and Lloyd holding down the spots until Thomas and Decker are ready.

They said that they think Perrish Cox is going to make an impact.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
On Tebow:

Some indesciveness, he's a rookie.

Work ethic. Tighter footwork than at senior bowl.

Too much windup. He's a thrower rather than passer right now. Inconsistant.

Sometimes back foot hits the ground and boom, the ball is out and on target. Other times, hitch, hitch and wobbly ball. Unsure about coverage, route, etc. is probably the blame for bad throws.

Secondary:

They talked about how they think the secondary will be one of the strongest units on the team.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Andre Goodman:

New DC. Less confusion based, more man pressure than last year.

Talking about Demarius Thomas. Goodman says it was his best practice (today). He's a VERY strong guy. If he catches the ball, he's going to be tough to tackle.

honz
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
So it sounds like Thomas > Marshall and Tebow > Cutler? That's what I take from your reports.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Josh McDaniels Interview:

Talked up D. Thomas.

Going to use a variety of O-line schemes, zone, power, pulling guards.

Doesn't think Kuper injury is serious.

Injuries:

Think Buck and Moreno have injuries to keep them out a few weeks. Then, will it be smart to get them into Vikings preseason game. Probably just hold them out until week 1 at Jax.

Lendale White said all the right things and made a good impression on staff.

Not going to replace Elvis with anyone. Not ready to make an IR decision, because they don't know how long he will be out.

Haggan might go to the edge again now. They practiced the 4-3 yesterday and again today.

On Orton:

Kyle is running the offense at the highest level. There is nothing in the scheme they can't do with him. Almost always reads the safeties correctly.

On Tebow:

Worked on footwork and mechanics in offseason. His motion is better. Didn't ask to completely change it, just tweak it a bit.

As a young player, when you only get 3 or so reps in a period, you try and make them perfect, which can backfire. He is probably dealing with a little overload, which happens to a lot of rookies.

Orton is learning at his pace, but Quinn and Tebow are learning at a slower pace (I think he meant in terms of how much of the scheme/playbook is being implemented).

On Defensive Line:

Older players on the line, but young depth. Thinks they are more physical. Thinks they will have better gap discipline -- focusing on this during run game practice.

On Perish Cox:

Fortunate to get him when they did. Had him highly ranked. Talked about why he dropped (not a bad person, just made a couple mistakes). He won the conditioning run. Working hard. Competing hard. Keeping mouth shut and learning.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
So it sounds like Thomas > Marshall and Tebow > Cutler? That's what I take from your reports.

No. I'm not 100% sure if Graham was talking about Cutler or Simms. Just talking up Cutler.

They actually discussed the HUGE loss that moving Marshall would be. I just chose not to mention it to avoid the BS from the people that would go on about being butt hurt about Marshall being gone or whatever.

Ziggy
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Keep them coming Tned, it's much appreciated.

honz
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
No. I'm not 100% sure if Graham was talking about Cutler or Simms. Just talking up Cutler.

They actually discussed the HUGE loss that moving Marshall would be. I just chose not to mention it to avoid the BS from the people that would go on about being butt hurt about Marshall being gone or whatever.

Sorry, I'm just upset about not winning the Master Baiter award and am lashing out. Good job on the updates, kind sir.

Ziggy
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Cmon Tned. You know better than to take that bait from Honz.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Tim Tebow (missed the first couple minutes):

Tries to learn from the feedback from Ben (McDaniels) and Kyle on the field and film room, and then take it back to the practice field.

On goal line/specialty plays:

Right now it's getting the packages installed. A few draws, but mostly just learning the offense.

The footwork is one of the biggest things about learning the offense. Consistancy on the drops, especially play action. If you're lazy with feet, then will be lazy with upper body and will be inconsistant.

On his patience -- having to watch Kyle play at high level and not start for a while:

Kyle and Brady having great camps. Even when the others are up, he is getting mental reps. Seeing what Kyle did and thinking about why he did, to try and get better, even when they aren't his reps.

On him blowing away others on sprints:

How he was brought up and works "hard word beats talent and talent doesn't work hard". Wants no regrets, wants to know he left nothing on the table.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Sorry, I'm just upset about not winning the Master Baiter award and am lashing out. Good job on the updates, kind sir.

Cmon Tned. You know better than to take that bait from Honz.

Yea, not being even nominated as a "baiter", I don't always see it. Kind of like people don't always pick up on my sarcasm in person, I don't always pick up on the baiting or feux baiting, on the forums. :lol:

Maybe when I grow up, I'll be a master baiter and recognize bait when it's thrown out. ;)

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
The Sirius guys think that with all the new bodies that McDaniels has brought in that they are probably a year away from being able to compete.

They discussed about whether or not they could compete next year with Tebow. Jim Miller says he thinks Tebow will be starting by the end of the year (assuming they aren't heading to the playoffs).

Earlier they were saying that by game 8 or so that they think the young guys in general (Thomas, Decker, Cox, etc.) will start playing larger roles.

Tned
08-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Ross Tucker was saying that this is NOT a playoff football team. They were talking about it in terms of Brian Dawkins and whether or not that's what he signed up for -- in terms of the way the roster was blown up, which ensured they couldn't be a playoff contender and would take time to rebuild.

T.K.O.
08-06-2010, 04:01 PM

is'nt just knowing in your heart that you are a master baiter reward enough?:D

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

I am pretty sure that they were talking about Cutler. I timed my lunch for 2:00 central to catch most of this in the car. The reason I say this is because right after Graham talked about "the other guy that was here before", and fans getting upset about some of the decisions Orton made, then the guys asked while laughing, "well are the fans happy with interceptions? That other guy could be here throwing a bunch of interceptions."

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Brian Dawkins:

Still getting used to being a Broncos.

Josh lets the older vets take a day off here or there to stay fresh.

On Dumervil:

Any time you lose a guy like that it's a blow. They try and get him one on one with anyone, because Doom will win the battle most of the time and get to the QB. Losing him is a huge blow. No individual is going to replace Elvis. If there was someone, he would be too expensive to have him and Elvis (if another with same skill), so now it needs to be a group effort to pick up those sacks/pressures they are going to lose.

The secondaries will need to adjust to the lack of pressure. The guys that step in will play decent, but everyone eill need to step up their game. In the secondary, they will need to hold their coverage a little longer, to give the guys up front time to make a 2nd or 3rd move to hopefully get to the QB.

They won't sit back in zone coverage, secondary will be agressive with pressure in the secondary, that's Wink's (DC's) style.

On Orton and Tebow:

Kyle is putting balls in tight places this year in the second year, where last year he probably wouldn't even try the throw. Making throws between two diving defenders, making great throws.

Tebow is a young guy, it's going to take a while to get comfortable and understand the offense and what the defense is doing. It's going to take him a while, but what you will see with Tebow is he is a quick study and hard working guy.

On Tebow mania:

It was similar in Philly with TO. Talked about getting 26,000 at TC when TO came. He said if Dove Valley was bigger, it might be more impressive/similar to what he saw in Philly.

He doesn't think the mania and endorsement will impact Tebow, because talking to him, he is balanced/level headed/etc and he doesn't think it will effect him negatively, based on what he sees from Tebow.

What can the team achieve in 2010:

Fans don't know what's going on in meetings, and such. Fans see Moreno and others go down and are going to be worried. He knows that when a player goes down, it brings the team closer together and where they rely on each other more and everyone steps up.

On the new front seven and previous problems against run:

From what he's seen, he's speechless. The determination they have to stop the run is big. They want the guys in the secondary to cover, but the guys up front are intent to stop the run. Jamal Williams will be big up the middle.

On Thomas and Cox:

Cox has been doing it consistantly, doing it in OTA's. Some mistakes, but lots of flashes, big plays.

On Thomas, he needs to continue to go up against Champ is going to make him that much better, that much faster. Champ and Goodman then tell him how they stuffed him or how they blocked him off the route or how he gave away the ball position with his eyes.

Difference between Nolan and Martindale:

Wink as an undeniable energy. How juiced up he is about moving forward or what he sees the D can be. The way he pumps everyone up based on his visision, overcomes players doubts and gets them on board with his vision.

Schematically, if they do half of what he thinks they can do up front on first and second down, it's going to be fun.

Josh has an idea of how you can stop an offense, and Wink is on the same page. They both preach situational football, talking about how to handle different situations they will see.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I am pretty sure that they were talking about Cutler. I timed my lunch for 2:00 central to catch most of this in the car. The reason I say this is because right after Graham talked about "the other guy that was here before", and fans getting upset about some of the decisions Orton made, then the guys asked while laughing, "well are the fans happy with interceptions? That other guy could be here throwing a bunch of interceptions."

I know Ross Tucker (host) definately took it that way, based on the INT crack, it just didn't make sense in context, because nobody can make a valid case about last years offense running better than the previous years offense.

However, if I remember correctly, Graham and Cutler had their own cliques in the locker room and I seem to recall hard feelings (I know there was with Jeb, but I thought Graham as well). The context of his comment made more sense in regard to Simms, but I got the sense that since he was talking about the fans and their criticism of the underneath throws and stuff, that you are probably right. He seemed to be defending what would appear to be a drop off in QB performance and trying to say it wasn't, even if fans thought so. Hard to say.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Robert Ayers:

On Doom's injury:

It's going to be a big loss, he's not going to try and replace him, just keep working towards his own goals.

He's very comfortable, learning from lots of other guys. Learning how to be in attack mode for 60 minutes.

On difference in rushing passer in NCAA v. NFL:

Understanding the situation. Can tell what you're going to get from formation. Here OC's are tricky and you're thinking pass and they run, or vice versa. Running draws on 3rd and 10. Last year it killed him not understanding those things.

Playing both hand down and standing up, sometimes he has the option, sometimes based on scheme. Played hand down in college, but you can diagnose things better standing up.

He loves standing up over the TE, vs. going up against 300+ lb OL's. Likes being the bigger guy.

New guys bringing a lot of leadership. Lots of playoff and even SB experience in vets on DL. Learning a lot from them.

What happened second half of last year and run collapse:

Bigger stronger guys this year should help. The OLBs will set the edge and the big guys will stuff the run, hopefully.

Difference between Nolan and Martindale:

He's a good coach and believes in his philosophy. Knows how to dial it up and turn it down. Big on situational football -- thinking through what the other side is going to do in any given situation.

They didn't implement 4-3 work last two days because Doom went down, but instead it was part of the packages to be installed and just happened to come up when Doom went down.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Demaryus Thomas:

Feels like he is getting better -- reading defense, running routes -- as times goes on.

Weighs 228. Was 235 in college. Will stay between 225 and 228.

As a freshman, he looked up to Calvin Johnson. Learned from him, worked hard to be like him.

Whenever he gets on the line against Champ, that he tries to figure out what to do. Champ does so many different things, plays mind games, hard to beat.

Rookies just press, don't have the tricks like Champ. Cox is real fast. Has to get out of breaks real fast when going up against Cox.

Mother and grandmother (who he was living with) got convicted of crack cocaine. Had to move in with his aunt. He didn't want to be around any drugs (some other family members used drugs) and his aunt and uncle took him in and helped him stay on the right track. His uncle was a deacon, then preacher, and Thomas was an usher and it helped him stay on the right track.

Now that he's a pro-- LIke every rookie, he wants to be the best. Wants to help his team, do the best he can to win games. Maybe if he's lucky to be rookie of the year.

Coming from a triple option offense, he just wants to win.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Sorry about typos. Just typing up notes as I can, while listening and the wife has me doing some cleaning, but not taking the time to go back and check for typos before hitting submit.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Tucker and Miller on Thomas.

Saying that it's hard to make too much of one practice, but it's been a long time since they have seen a rookie wide receiver look so dominant. He's a TE body with WR speed.

They can't stop raving about him and are asking each guy they interview about him.

Tned
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Jim Miller on Orton. Feels that Orton has not reached his ceiling at QB.

Orton knows that he has no future in Denver. Even if Orton has a good year and the Broncos offer to sign him, it would be hard for Orton to sign with Denver knowing that it is only a matter of time before they are replaced. The future is Tebow.

Did they need Tebow:

Ross Tucker doesn't think McDaniels needed to draft him.

Miller said McDaniels liked his talent, his skills and thinks he could be a special player.

Orton wants a 5-7 year contract and no longer be considered a journeyman (phewwwwy to those that criticized me for calling him a journeyman).

BroncoWave
08-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Orton wants a 5-7 year contract and no longer be considered a journeyman (phewwwwy to those that criticized me for calling him a journeyman).

Just because he wants a 5-7 year contract doesn't mean he isn't a journeyman. Every player in the NFL would like a 5-7 year contract. He can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.

And this is no criticism of Orton, just stating that him wanting a 5-7 year contract doesn't mean he isn't a journeyman.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to type up all this Tned! :D

SOCALORADO.
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Josh McDaniels Interview:

Talked up D. Thomas.

Going to use a variety of O-line schemes, zone, power, pulling guards.

Doesn't think Kuper injury is serious.

Injuries:

Think Buck and Moreno have injuries to keep them out a few weeks. Then, will it be smart to get them into Vikings preseason game. Probably just hold them out until week 1 at Jax.

Lendale White said all the right things and made a good impression on staff.

Not going to replace Elvis with anyone. Not ready to make an IR decision, because they don't know how long he will be out.

Haggan might go to the edge again now. They practiced the 4-3 yesterday and again today.

On Orton:

Kyle is running the offense at the highest level. There is nothing in the scheme they can't do with him. Almost always reads the safeties correctly.

On Tebow:

Worked on footwork and mechanics in offseason. His motion is better. Didn't ask to completely change it, just tweak it a bit.

As a young player, when you only get 3 or so reps in a period, you try and make them perfect, which can backfire. He is probably dealing with a little overload, which happens to a lot of rookies.

Orton is learning at his pace, but Quinn and Tebow are learning at a slower pace (I think he meant in terms of how much of the scheme/playbook is being implemented).

On Defensive Line:

Older players on the line, but young depth. Thinks they are more physical. Thinks they will have better gap discipline -- focusing on this during run game practice.

On Perish Cox:

Fortunate to get him when they did. Had him highly ranked. Talked about why he dropped (not a bad person, just made a couple mistakes). He won the conditioning run. Working hard. Competing hard. Keeping mouth shut and learning.

"Keeping mouth shut and learning."

This and the Tebow comments are the best news i have heard all day!

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Just because he wants a 5-7 year contract doesn't mean he isn't a journeyman. Every player in the NFL would like a 5-7 year contract. He can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.

And this is no criticism of Orton, just stating that him wanting a 5-7 year contract doesn't mean he isn't a journeyman.

Jim Miller's point was that Orton wants to sign a long term contract and settle in with a team for the long term so that he will get out of that journeman role.

FWIW, I agree with you. I think there is an argument he isn't currently a journeyman, since only with two teams. But, the in and out of Chicago starting job thing, along with being a stop gap in Denver, has many looking at him as being in the Journeyman role.

honz
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Tucker and Miller on Thomas.

Saying that it's hard to make too much of one practice, but it's been a long time since they have seen a rookie wide receiver look so dominant. He's a TE body with WR speed.

They can't stop raving about him and are asking each guy they interview about him.
All this talk about Thomas beasting it up is giving me a slow roaster. Marshall was a great receiver, but I think Thomas could be that deep threat we haven't had in a while. Some of the highlights from college where he would turn on the jets and just run a way from people were incredibly impressive. Will that extra gear translate to the NFL? Hopefully.

LTC Pain
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks Tned

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Hochstein and Orton:

To Orton, what's it like to have you hands up Russ's butt?

Laughs, and then, "I heard I am only here because you guys couldn't get Tebow to come over for an interview".

This year is night and day compared to last year. Last year 95% of time was learning the offense. This year it's working on improving his play, because he knows the offense.

Feels healthy for the first time in 18 months. Played on two flat tires last year.

This year the communication on offense is much better. Last year they had good plays and good games, but they couldn't string plays together. This year the focus has been on being able to put 10 play drives together.

About D. Thomas:

Like all rookies he's made mistakes. a lot was made about his triple option offense, but he's come in picked everything up. LEarned the formations. Isn't having to ask a bunch of questions in the huddle. Good route runner. Big guy. A long way to go, but he's coming along good.

Russ Hochstein:

Doesn't understand all the talk about dumping the zone system (was asked about this). Some plays are zone plays, some are man, just like every other team around the league. They might have gotten a little bigger on O-line.

On young guys:

Remains to be seen if the rookies are ready, up to them, up to coaches. They have a lot to learn. The mental side is tough. They are learning fast, but there is still a ways.

Back to Orton, asked about Tebow -- does it undercut Orton:

Doesn't undercut him at all. Just focuses on playing his best, and getting ready to play on Sundays. Won't effect his leadership. Will play hard and let the chips fall where they may. Said he wasn't given a chance to compete in Chicago, here he believes he has the chance to compete.

On his contract status, not getting a long term deal from anyone:

Good question about not getting a long term deal from someone. Would love to know where he is going to live the next four or five years. The sad thing is the RFA's got forgotten -- it was the owners fault, and there were 200+ guys that paid the price (with him being one of them).

Back to Russ, asked to compare him to Brady:

Said that Orton has picked up the offense well, knows where the ball is going coming out of the huddle.

On mood of the locker room, with Doom going down:

They were devestated when they lost Brady. It was devestating to hear that Doom is lost. Can't replace his 17 sacks, but have to go on without him and everyone has to step up and do their best. Better that it happened in camp when there is time for others to step up.

Orton on Doom:

That's the NFL. PPl have to step up, both on defense and offense. If they have to score 35 to win, then they have to score 35.

Buck and Moreno should be back, and there are some young guys, but Buck and Moreno should be back, and they have Lendale down the road.

What do you hear about Clady:

Orton can't replace a probowl LT with another LT, Batiste has done well.

Russ says he will give the company line (coming from NE), we won't talk about injuries, and Clady will be back when he's ready.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
All this talk about Thomas beasting it up is giving me a slow roaster. Marshall was a great receiver, but I think Thomas could be that deep threat we haven't had in a while. Some of the highlights from college where he would turn on the jets and just run a way from people were incredibly impressive. Will that extra gear translate to the NFL? Hopefully.

Can our QB's take advantage of the speed. The training camp reports I have read have been mixed on how well are guys have been throwing deep.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Champ and Lynch:

Champ on Thomas

Not sure why Cox wasn't a first found pick. He plays behind Champ and he's trying to help him.

He's trying to give Thomas a hard time, but also help him learn -- has a lot to learn. He reminds him of Marshall.

Didn't catch all of this, but it seemed like they mostly talked nostalgia and the changes in the league regarding hitting, leading with the head and all the fines. They also talked about Champ passing the mantle and stating that Revus is the best CB in the league.

On Doom going down, he said Doom told him he tweaked his peck and then when Josh told them how serious it was, Champ almost cried. He says there are few guys in the league as talented as Doom. He's the real deal, and it hurts the team -- it sucks professionally and personally.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Should be getting down to the end, replaying Josh McDaniels interview. I missed a couple things earlier, will fill in those gaps here.

Passionate about QB position. Been fortunate to work with good football players. Tries to make points right away, if something is done on the field that was wrong.

On Cutler/Marshall moves.

It's not being hard headed, you have to have a way you believe in doing things. We have a philosiphy of having a group of guys in the locker room that are leaders. They will win different ways, different weeks. One week offense, one week defense.

Thomas is a good route runner, because he has small player traits in big body. Game is slowing down for him (compared to a few days ago).

Want athletic linemen that can do things in space. Want guys that can make space up the middle, but also get out on the edge.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
One note, both Jim Miller and Ross Tucker (the Sirius hosts) both played in NE when Josh was a coach and clearly are very pro McDaniels and NE. Not that it's a bad thing, but thought I should point it out, because some version of that came up multiple times in the four hour coverage.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:58 PM
There final assesment:

Jim Miller says that fans shouldn't be upset if the team takes a step back. They are likely an 8-8 type team. By week 9 (after the bye), the young guys should start producing and getting more involved.

Tned
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Now I have to do the stuff my wife wanted me to do when I left work earlier today, so she's a bit ticked off at me.

Sconnie Bronco
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Only if Orton can hit the cutoff man.

Tned
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Only if Orton can hit the cutoff man.

Ok, now that's pretty funny!!! :salute:

TXBRONC
08-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Agreed look at Jake Delhomme. He was with the Carolina Panthers for 7 years but I don't think he was considered anything more than journeyman quarterback.

titan
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for transcribing the interviews, Tned. I listened to most of the coverage and you did a good job of passing along the essence of what was said. I also got very little work done this afternoon :-)

I'm getting a better feel of where the broncos stand right now after listening to this. My early thoughts:

1. the defensive line additions will have a bigger impact than many fans realize. Sure the loss of Doom is a big one, but any defensive coordinator will tell you first you have to stop the run. Doom wasn't much help in run defense; the defensive line free agents will be.

2. That's not to minimize the loss of Doom, though. It's a biggie. Intelligent football analysts I trust, players, and coaches all say it's a big loss. Too bad we won't get to see (until november at least) what doom could have done behind a better defensive line.

3. This year's draft is better than last year's. Demaryius Thomas got lots of praise today. Tebow is a good gamble. I didn't even hear any mention of Eric Decker today but local reports say Decker has been even better than Thomas in camp (in different ways). Cox appears to be a 5th round steal. If the two rookie offensive linemen pan out, as early reports indicate they will, the broncos have received a much needed infusion of youth from this draft class.

What is going to make or break McDaniels eventually is his drafts, so the initial positive reports on this year's class is encouraging. Yes he blew some picks last year (including one of the worst trades in Bronco history trading a future #1 for a #2 to draft Alphonso Smith - Smith could be cut). But give the guy a break - some learning on the job is inevitable.

4. Don't give up on last year's picks just yet. Reports are that Ayers is looking much better, and Richard Quinn is too. I always liked the Knowshon pick and still think he'll do fine if he can stay healthy.

5. Orton is going to be better this year. He's healthy, he says he feels the best in 18 months, which hopefully will improve his mobility. His grasp of the offense is better this year, to go along with his throwing accuracy.

6. This year the team may very well fall short of the 8-8 record from last year, in part due to injuries (oline, doom, running backs), but I think as the nfl radio guys said the franchise is headed in the right direction.

carolene
08-06-2010, 11:51 PM
thank you for the updates i cant wait till sunday preseason starts

Tned
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM
thank you for the updates i cant wait till sunday preseason starts

Your welcome. I am anxious for the preseason, and then the regular season, to get started myself. :)

Tempus Fugit
08-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the effort, Tned. Much appreciated.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
now just perhaps the nay sayers will calm down and allow this TC to proceed without every little thing being projected as the end of the bronco world.

DenBronx
08-07-2010, 02:00 AM
now just perhaps the nay sayers will calm down and allow this TC to proceed without every little thing being projected as the end of the bronco world.

when the nfl sack leader goes down for 5 months what do you expect? :confused:

not exactlly the best start to a season.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm seeing this as a win for us now other players will have to step up and those that do not well we will know it won;t we.

Doom is gone for the year, just NOW will not be "waived injured" until the final cut down.

Tned
08-07-2010, 06:01 AM

Way to ONCE AGAIN enter a thread and focus on what YOU 'think' other posters are doing wrong. Geez man, doesn't trolling the board and telling everyone that doesn't agree with you that they are wrong get old after a while?

Even getting beyond how boorish this habit of your is, it is hillarious that you would go around calling others, naysayers, when you were the biggest negative nanny on here or Mania for years -- preaching doom and gloom in every offseason and preseason.

Is there a chance you are EVER going to stop telling all the posters that don't agree with you how wrong they are, and just start discussing the Broncos? :confused:

FOCUS ON THE THREAD TOPIC, NOT OTHER POSTERS!!!!!

Tned
08-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Champ said he almost cried when hearing the news and that many people don't realize he is one of the most talented pass rushers in the league. It was pretty unanimous that there will be virtually no way to replaced those sacks -- certainly no person, and they will all have to step up their game to try and pick up the slack. They talked about how it will effect the secondary. Instead of the pressure on the QB taking pressure off the secondary, now the secondary will need to cover longer to give the line time to get to the QB.

It was very clear that the players and HC feel that losing the midget, one-trick pony is a big blow to the team.

DenBronx
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Champ said he almost cried when hearing the news and that many people don't realize he is one of the most talented pass rushers in the league. It was pretty unanimous that there will be virtually no way to replaced those sacks -- certainly no person, and they will all have to step up their game to try and pick up the slack. They talked about how it will effect the secondary. Instead of the pressure on the QB taking pressure off the secondary, now the secondary will need to cover longer to give the line time to get to the QB.

It was very clear that the players and HC feel that losing the midget, one-trick pony is a big blow to the team.

I think we have to bring in someone. Best guess at this point is we will wait to see who gets cut from another team and in the mean time put Ayers/Moss to the test.

Dume doesn't seem like a one trick pony at all to me. He has stepped up his game every year and was on track to have another monster season. With pressure constantly on the QB our secondary is able to do some pretty nasty things to offenses.

If Bailey didn't shed a tear I'm sure a few of us did.

Lonestar
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Way to ONCE AGAIN enter a thread and focus on what YOU 'think' other posters are doing wrong. Geez man, doesn't trolling the board and telling everyone that doesn't agree with you that they are wrong get old after a while?

Even getting beyond how boorish this habit of your is, it is hillarious that you would go around calling others, naysayers, when you were the biggest negative nanny on here or Mania for years -- preaching doom and gloom in every offseason and preseason.

Is there a chance you are EVER going to stop telling all the posters that don't agree with you how wrong they are, and just start discussing the Broncos? :confused:

FOCUS ON THE THREAD TOPIC, NOT OTHER POSTERS!!!!!

looks like I did with this one before your rant. time to not worry about me but your own actions or preconceived notions.

I'm seeing this as a win for us now other players will have to step up and those that do not well we will know it won;t we.

Doom is gone for the year, just NOW will not be "waived injured" until the final cut down.

rcsodak
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM

He's no more a "journeyman" than Cutler, Schaub, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Brees, Favre, etc.

rcsodak
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Ironic you say that, tongue in cheek, and yet, it's truthful. NOWHERE did ANYBODY (even champ) say he was much help against the run.

One of the points that certain posters remind ya'll of, even though you roast them for saying as much.