PDA

View Full Version : Dog's Initial 2008 Power Rankings

dogfish
06-25-2008, 01:09 AM
everybody had such a blast with the last set of power rankings that were posted here, i figured some more would be fun. . .

okay, i actually put these together for the articles forum, before i realized that it was coach's job. . . :tsk: they took awhile to write, so i may as well post 'em somewhere. . . besides, nobody really enjoys this place without some perceived disrespect to bitch about, right?

:laugh:

so here goes. . . .

1. New England Patriots – The Patsies weren’t able to finish the job last year, but 18-1 is still good enough for the top spot in these rankings. Playing a relatively easy schedule helps. Losing Asante Samuel doesn’t help, but they’ve gotten by with average cornerback play in the past. Adding younger legs at the inside linebacker position should improve the defense.

2. Dallas Cowboys – This year’s team looks stronger than the squad that won a tough division last year. A productive offseason filled most of their obvious holes, particularly in the secondary. The number two wide receiver position is a question mark, but this offense has excellent balance with a top tight end and multiple weapons in the backfield.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars – One of the nastiest, most physical clubs in the league. David Garrard should be even better in his second full year as a starter, and Jerry Porter provides a legitimate weapon on the outside that previous Jag’s teams have lacked. An already impressive defense added a top coordinator and two talented edge rushers.

4. San Diego Chargers – The Bolts really put it together down the stretch after struggling mightily to open the season. San Diego’s starters are as talented as any in the league, but health is a bit of a concern with several important players rehabbing injuries from last year. With the departure of players like Michael Turner and Drayton Florence, their depth isn’t as impressive as it was the past few years.

5. New York Giants – They may have over-achieved a bit last year, but I can’t rank the defending champs any lower. Manning seemed to mature during the playoffs, and their offensive line is very solid. Plaxico Burreess should be even deadlier with a good set of wheels under him. Look for Steve Smith to take over the other starting spot sometime this season. The depth at running back is excellent. Strahan will be missed on defense, but they still have enough pass rush to cover mistakes by a weak secondary.

6. Indianapolis Colts – They’re still a legitimate title contender, but won’t have an easy time of it in a rugged division. Without Marvin Harrison, their offense wasn’t the well-oiled machine to which we’ve become accustomed, and Harrison looks like his career may be winding down. The team still has more than enough offensive talent to be dangerous, and the return of Dominic Rhodes should help take some pressure off of Joseph Addai, but the free-wheeling offensive circus has come back to Earth a bit. Their success on defense hinges on whether some undersized players can stay healthy.

7. Seattle Seahawks – A veteran quarterback and quality coaching staff should be enough to overcome some questions on offense. The receiving corps is pedestrian, but they have some young talent that they feel good about. Their committee of backs won’t scare anyone, but should be effective in a system that doesn’t ask too much of them. The defense is talented and aggressive. It doesn’t hurt that they could skip the first month and still win their division.

8. Pittsburgh Steelers – Roethlisberger proved last year that he’s more than just a game manager. Hines Ward is getting old, but Santonio Holmes is an emerging talent, and Limas Sweed gives them the big, physical receiver that Roethlisberger wanted. Rashard Mendenhall should be a fantastic complement to Willie Parker, even behind a questionable offensive line. The D-line is aging but still effective, and the Steelers continue to crank out tough linebackers.

9. Cleveland Browns – The offensive line has become a real strength, and they should allow Derek Anderson to continue to flourish. Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow have developed into the playmakers the team was hoping for when they spent high first round picks on them. Donte Stallworth should provide another deep threat. Cornerback still looks like a major weakness, but the defense will unquestionably be stronger up the middle with the addition of Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams and Beau Bell.

10. Minnesota Vikings – A productive offseason filled a lot of holes. The addition of Jared Allen and Madieu Williams should make the defense into an absolute monster. Their running game is as good as any in the league, and Bernard Berrian adds a nice deep threat to the offense. Quarterback is obviously a big question mark, but Tarvaris Jackson did show some flashes down the stretch last year, and Kelly Holcombe is a savvy vet. With this defense and ground game, the Vikes don’t necessarily need dynamic QB play to be dangerous.

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – The Bucs are quietly putting together a very talented young O-line. Jeff Garcia has always been effective in the West Coast offense, and Earnest Graham is a hardnosed runner. Their wide receiver corps is pedestrian at best, but Antonio Bryant and Dexter Jackson give them more raw ability than last year’s group. The defense is always tough. The Bucs are hardly a sure thing, but strong line play and good coaching can go a long way.

12. Philadelphia Eagles – Brian Westbrook and a quality coaching staff give the Eagles a chance. McNabb should be closer to his normal self a year removed from the torn ACL, although the team’s stubborn refusal to upgrade their wide receiver corps will once again keep him from producing at the level he could with some legit weapons out wide. They overpaid for Asante Samuel, but he does improve the coverage they need behind Jim Johnson’s blitzes. Desaun Jackson might provide a spark in the return game.

13. New Orleans Saints – The Saints have a lot of question marks, but they showed some signs of 2006’s exciting team during the second half of last year. The offensive line took a step back in ’07, and they need to replace center Jeff Faine if they’re going to shine this season. Deuce McCallister’s health is also a concern, but they do have some depth at running back. Reggie Bush should be more effective if he has a healthy McCallister to do the hard work. The receiver corps has some depth and diversity, even though they lack a difference-maker beyond Marques Colston. We’ll see if a number of defensive additions can shore up a woeful unit.

14. Green Bay Packers – Aaron Rodgers will never be Brett Favre, but he doesn’t necessarily have to be. He has a nice group of receivers to work with, and Ryan Grant really brought life to a dormant running game at the end of ’07. A strong pair of tackles will give Rodgers a nice comfort zone to work with, and he should have the playbook down pat by now. The defense is just tough and nasty, although the health of the line is a concern at the moment.

15. Carolina Panthers – This team is very difficult to gauge. If Jake Delhomme is healthy, they have a legitimate chance to contend in the NFC South. If he’s not, they’re roadkill, but preliminary reports are encouraging. We all know what Steve Smith can do if they can get him the ball, and Jonathon Stewart and Jeff Otah are two excellent building blocks for the revamping of their power running game. Deangelo Williams makes a nice complement to Stewart. The really need a lot more from Julius Peppers after a pathetic ’07, and Kris Jenkins won’t be easy to replace. But the secondary is solid, and adding Dan Connor to Jon Beason gives them a very promising young group of linebackers.

16. Buffalo Bills – A badly dinged-up squad showed a lot of heart last year, and they had a nice offseason. Marcus Stroud and Paul Poszluzny should shore up the run defense, and Leodis McKelvin adds a lot of raw ability in the secondary. Trent Edwards looks to have solid potential, and James Hardy brings some desparately needed size at wide receiver. The Bills have one of the best special teams units in the league. The team needs Jason Peters’ holdout and Marshawn Lynch’s legal problems to get resolved before the season starts.

dogfish
06-25-2008, 01:12 AM
17. Houston Texans – The defense as a whole lacks talent, but look for big things from Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye. Alex Gibbs should get more from an underwhelming line on the other side of the ball. The offense looked solid before injuries to Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub last year, although the lack of an impact running back will likely keep it from reaching its full potential.

18. Denver Broncos – Jay Cutler should continue to improve with another year under his belt and his diabetes apparently under control. The revamping of the offensive line began with Ryan Clady, and several new toys at wide receiver should more than replace the malcontent Javon Walker’s meager ’07 production. Running back is a question mark, but the team always seems to get adequate production from the position. They don’t have anyone there that scares defenses, though. Speaking of defense, theirs is still a big concern. The team hopes that Dewayne Robertson is healthy enough to improve the interior of the line, but otherwise they’re mostly relying on the growth of young players to improve a major weakness from last season. This unit still looks sketchy right up the middle.

19. Tennessee Titans -- The Titans are a physical team with a solid head coach, but they may struggle to replicate last year’s wild card berth. Their grinding running game lost both guards, and replacement Jake Scott is more of a finesse blocker. Alge Crumpler will be a nice addition if he’s healthy, but they failed to add the legitimate outside receiver they so badly need. They also lost firepower along the defensive line. The Titans won’t be a pushover from game to game, but the AFC South looks too tough for them to be a serious factor this year.

20. New York Jets – They brought in an awful lot of talent, but lack of consistent quarterback play or any kind of explosiveness on offense may still limit them. Clemens hasn’t looked like anything special, and the passing game is almost purely horizontal with Pennington in charge. Faneca will help in the running game, but they don’t have the stud back to be a top running team. The defense almost has to be better with the additions of Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston, but the cornerbacks are nothing special beyond Darrelle Revis. This unit will have to be day and night better than last year’s if they’re going to compensate for a pop gun offense.

21. Detroit Lions – Gosder Cherilus should provide some immediate help for a beleaguered O-line. Kevin Smith should be an upgrade from Tatum Bell, but they don’t have the power back they really need for the grind-it-out style Rod Marinelli wants to play. The receiving corps can be a real strength if they can protect the quarterback better. A group of hard workers will try to replace the uber-talented but lazy Shaun Rogers. The rest of the defense looks underwhelming, notwithstanding the addition of some aging Tampa Bay refugees. They could have a shot in a wide open division if the O-line holds up.

22. Arizona Cardinals – The talent of the wideouts is obvious and impressive, but the running game didn’t get the help it needed. The offensive line made some strides last year but is still subpar. Matt Leinart isn’t very secure in the starting quarterback position. Dominic Rogers-Cromartie brings a badly-needed dose of speed and athleticism to the secondary, and the team hopes that they found some pass rushers in the draft as well. This squad has enough talent to compete in the NFC West if things fall right, but they need to show more consistency than last year.

23. Washington Redskins – The Redskins did a nice job of filling one of their two major holes this offseason. The need for more size at wide receiver got some major attention with the drafting of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis should contribute in two-TE sets. Still, relying on rookie receivers is a notoriously sketchy proposition, and Jason Campbell will have a tough time improving if his receiver play isn’t better this year. They did basically nothing to improve a weak defensive line, and lost their brainiac defensive coordinator. Things really don’t look that great for them on that side of the ball. This team is probably a year or so away.

24. St. Louis Rams – There’s no way they can have as many injuries as last year, is there? If all of their offensive stars are healthy, they could even surprise in a weak division. Marc Bulger is still a very solid quarterback when the line can keep him on his feet, and Steven Jackson is a terror. They need more from Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael this year. Chris Long will help, but the defense still looks soft.

25. Cincinnati Bengals – This team has pretty much imploded over the past year or so. The offensive line is a shell of its former self, and none of their running backs seem capable of staying healthy besides Kenny Watson, who’s best suited as a change-of-pace back. Dangerous red zone target Chris Henry may be done in the NFL, and the whole Chad Johnson situation has been a fiasco. The defense is still crap. Justin Smith wasn’t a top pass rusher, but he was still one of their more consistent and hard-working guys—losing him won’t help. Keith Rivers is a solid addition, but it looks like too little, too late. Failing to get a quality defensive tackle hurts, bad. Unless everything falls into place just perfectly, the AFC North will be a two-horse race this year.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Anyone else feel like you’re watching Groundhog Day when talking about the Ravens? It looks like another year of the same old same old. Rugged defense, utterly pathetic offense. The only question is whether Troy Smith, Joe Flacco or Kyle Boller will be forcing balls to covered receivers and getting the snot sacked out of them. McGahee should be good for about 1,200 yards—at 3.6 per clip. The defense should be good for about five or six wins.

27. Oakland Raiders – Never has a team given out so many bad contracts in a single offseason. You’re in trouble when you regret not overpaying Jerry Porter, but they may not get anything at all out of Javon Walker (unless you count bad publicity). The defense regressed bigtime last year, and it doesn’t look like they added anyone who can stop the run. The running game should be solid again, but their weapons in the passing game are about as intimidating as the Canadian armed forces. They’d better hope that Jamarcus Russell and Darren McFadden are all that they’re billed to be.

28. Chicago Bears – They still have a lot of talent on defense, but we saw last year that they’re not good enough to win games when the offense is just putrid. The undersized Cover-2 personnel isn’t designed to stay on the field for forty minutes a game—first they get worn down and scored on, and then they get hurt. Expect more of the same this year, because their offense looks to be even worse. There just isn’t much at all to get excited about on that side of the ball, unless challenging for worst unit in the league is exciting. Without Devin Hester, this team wouldn’t win five games.

29. San Francisco 49ers – If anyone can get more production out of Alex Smith, Mike Martz is the guy to do it. If he doesn’t get Smith killed. Their line would be an embarrassment to a good college program, and the rest of the offense isn’t going anywhere until they get it fixed. The defense is just as weak in the trenches. One of the league’s worst organizations. They need to fire their entire front office along with Mike Nolan, and get someone in there who has some idea how to build a professional football team.

30. Kansas City Chiefs – The good news is that they had a fantastic draft. The bad news is that this year’s team looks laughable. Brandon Albert has awesome long-term potential, but expecting a rookie with two starts at left tackle to seriously improve a disastrous line is wishful thinking. A healthy Larry Johnson should be good for a few wins, but Dwayne Bowe is the only receiver they have that doesn’t belong in the CFL. Brodie Croyle is awful. Dorsey will help, but can he replace Jared Allen’s impact as a rookie? It seems unlikely. The secondary is a mess.

31. Miami Dolphins – Too bad Bill Parcells isn’t the coach. They actually put some solid pieces in place, and they shouldn’t be as abysmal as last year—but that’s not saying much at all. The receiver corps is a punchline, and they have no quarterback. Ronnie Brown is coming off a major injury, and Ricky Williams is a wildcard at best. The defense lost its leader, and just generally lacks quality NFL talent.

32. Atlanta Falcons – This team has more holes than an onion sack. Other than maybe linebackers, there isn’t a strong unit anywhere on the squad. Michael Turner was a nice pickup, but he’s going to have a very tough time going against eight man fronts all year. Roddy White is their only legitimate receiver. If they put Matt Ryan in he’s likely to get annihilated. Their defense is going to be softer than putty unless some serious unexpected talent emerges. It’ll take a miracle for them to be drafting lower than fifth next year. This franchise is a joke.

i know, i know-- you wanted the broncos at #1, or #3 at the lowest. . . i call it like i see it. . . *shrugs*

but luckily, even "professional" power rankings are completely arbitrary-- it's JMO, so don't get too bent out of shape about it. . . you're welcome to post your own with denver as high as you think they deserve to be. . .

let the griping begin. . . . :D

WARHORSE
06-25-2008, 03:07 AM
1.DENVER BRONCOS.
The Denver Broncos are number one on my league rankings. Its the only spot I rank. Cutler will have a tremendous third year, and the Broncos will boast the number one offense in the league. They'll spank NEngland, Indy, Jacksonville and Pittsburg to win the AFC Championship.........Then move on to the Lombardi by smoking the upstart Minnesota Vikings who will win the NFC with a tremendous defense and ball control offense.

Everyone else is in the rearview mirror.:coffee:

Lonestar
06-25-2008, 03:22 AM
1.DENVER BRONCOS.
The Denver Broncos are number one on my league rankings. Its the only spot I rank. Cutler will have a tremendous third year, and the Broncos will boast the number one offense in the league. They'll spank NEngland, Indy, Jacksonville and Pittsburg to win the AFC Championship.........Then move on to the Lombardi by smoking the upstart Minnesota Vikings who will win the NFC with a tremendous defense and ball control offense.

Think you need to cut back on the kona coffee..

Timmy!
06-25-2008, 04:20 AM
All in all, I agree about 90% Dog. Very good read. The only disagreements I have are (and these are all minor, as in 2-3 spots):

Giants to high, I'd have them around 7
Cleveland to high, I'd have them around 11
Minnesota to high, I'd have them around 12
Denver to low, I'd have them around 14.

Nice work man :salute:

DenBronx
06-25-2008, 04:41 AM
good work dog! the bucs, bills and panthers are pretty high. i had the broncos in the top 15 but overall i like it!

Nature Boy
06-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Seahawks, Browns, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs, Texans all ahead of the Broncos? Man you suck. You don't think the Broncos even if it's just on paper improved that much with all the changes? Serious, I'm not being a Homer here because if I were, I'll say we are in the top 5. But we are definitely not out of the top 12 for sure.

silkamilkamonico
06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
I do think Texans should be ahead of Denver. Their defense manhandled us last year with an entire backup secondary. They get their starters back, and their dline will only get better. Not to mention if Schaub can stay healthy he will be an upgrade at the QB position.

Denver got better on paper, but so did Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Houston. not unfathomable at all to see them ahead of Denver.

LRtagger
06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
good post dawg

jrelway
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
very nicely done.

WARHORSE
06-25-2008, 10:19 AM

No way.

Its the BEST.:shocked:

WARHORSE
06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I dont rank teams ahead of the Broncos.:coffee:

There are others for that.:tsk:

Theres only one team I ever rank number one.:cool:

BOSSHOGG30
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Very good... I would have the Redskins and Bears higher, but I can understand why some people might have them that low.

turftoad
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Seahawks, Browns, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs, Texans all ahead of the Broncos? Man you suck. You don't think the Broncos even if it's just on paper improved that much with all the changes? Serious, I'm not being a Homer here because if I were, I'll say we are in the top 5. But we are definitely not out of the top 12 for sure.

Seahawks, Browns, Vikes will probably win thier divisions.Panthers and Bucs will battle it out for thiers. Texans are an up and comer.

The Vikes will go far this year if they can get game management out of the QB position.

BroncoFanatic
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Or at least stop putting LSD in it :laugh:

Too high IMO:

Steelers - not too bad of a reach where you have them, but I just don't think they did much to improve
Bucs - I think locker room chemistry is a big issue here
Eagles - still lacking the big play maker. Samuel is overrated, and McNabb still can't throw accurately
Panthers - what did they do to rate so high? They stunk it up last year

Too low IMO:

Browns - I'd bump them up a few spots because of improved defense, not top 5 though
Broncos - somewhere around 8 - 10 is where I would put them. I do believe the defense will be significantly improved with new personnel and scheme
Vikings - beasts on both sides of the ball, though I agree QB is a weakness.

underrated29
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
NICELY DONE DOG!!

I do have to disagree about the 9'ers defense. I think it is going to be pretty darn good this year. Imo they are one of the sleeper defenses. Not top tier, mind you, but id would say maybe like 12. But who knows this is sfo- and well, they suck.

dogfish
06-25-2008, 11:20 AM
1.DENVER BRONCOS.

war, you're a good dude! i admire both your optimism and your consistency, even if i think you're a little nuts. . . . :laugh:

turftoad
06-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Too high IMO:

Steelers - not too bad of a reach where you have them, but I just don't think they did much to improve
Eagles - still lacking the big play maker. Samuel is overrated, and McNabb still can't throw accurately

Too low IMO:

Browns - I'd bump them up a few spots because of improved defense, not top 5 though
Broncos - somewhere around 8 - 10 is where I would put them. I do believe the defense will be significantly improved with new personnel and scheme

Panther will be much better this year.

First, Delhomme is back this year. When he went down they got terrible QB play. He's good when healthy and knows how to get the ball to Steve Smith.

Stewart and D.Williams will thier make running game very tough.

Their "D" always seems to be good.

They'll contend for their Div.

The rest of your list, I agree with.

dogfish
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Too high IMO:

Too low IMO:

i particularly appreciate this post because you gave both sides-- saying who's too highly rated isn't as useful without saying who else should be in those spots. . .

thanks for the comments everyone!

dogfish
06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Panther will be much better this year.

First, Delhomme is back this year. When he went down they got terrible QB play. He's good when healthy and knows how to get the ball to Steve Smith.

Stewart and D.Williams will thier make running game very tough.

Their "D" always seems to be good.

They'll contend for their Div.

The rest of your list, I agree with.

pretty much my thoughts as well-- if delhomme is healthy they're good enough to contend in the NFC. . . nobody is going to win many games with father time vinny testaverde as their QB!

Northman
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Redskins are too high, but everything else looks about right.

slim
06-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Looks about right. Well done, young man.

dogfish
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Redskins are too high, but everything else looks about right.

they were a playoff team last year, and they really haven't lost anybody. . . .

:confused:

Northman
06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
they were a playoff team last year, and they really haven't lost anybody. . . .

:confused:

They lost their coach and have to start from scratch. Im still not sold on Campbell being the Qb of the future with them either.

turftoad
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
They lost their coach and have to start from scratch. Im still not sold on Campbell being the Qb of the future with them either.

Agreed. That said, Campbell will be with his 6th OC in 6 years. He really hasn't had a real commfy knowledge of any offense yet.

Zorn comes in and will spread the ball around. They drafted a couple stud WR's but they'll take a year of two to develope. Skins will be average this year and better there after.
This makes Campbell a boom or bust prospect. We'll see.

lex
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
More important than the ranking is the analysis. Overall, it was well done.