PDA

View Full Version : Denver Trades RB JJ Arrington...

BroncoBJ
07-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Per Adam Schefter's twitter:

Denver and Philadelphia agreed to a trade: Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays.

Damn, Hella random I guess.

Lonestar
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Anyone know anything about Mays.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoBJ
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Anyone know anything about Mays.

I know he made a great catch in the world series. :lol: OH, different Mays. But I don't know much about him. Maybe Dream knows about him since hes from North Dakota State. :elefant:

Maybe just a camp body to help compete at the LB position. With the other RB's and returners we have, maybe Josh felt LB was a bigger need and we could part ways wit him.

Who knows. Just a random trade though. Caught me by surprise.

BroncoWave
07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
From what I can find he is an ILB who was a 6th round pick in 2008 and has had limited playing time for the eagles. Had 7 tackles in 11 games last season.

Lonestar
07-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Inside outside how big tall etc.

BroncoWave
07-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Inside outside how big tall etc.

My post above said ILB! :lol:

He's 5'11 246

Lonestar
07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry did not see that thanks. Reading on my blackberry screen.

Thanks for the info.

At that size does indeed look like an ILB.

broncobryce
07-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I like it. I had hopes for Arrington but the guy didn't even play in the league last year. Obviously he either was going to be cut or Josh is confident in the undrafted rook to step up. It's not like we are extremely deep at RB.

D1g1tal j1m
07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPSID=11850&story_id=15401)

A powerfully built linebacker known for his outstanding performances in the training room and bone-jarring hits on the playing field, Joe Mays has the ability to generate explosion on contact and has had good success dislodging the ball from ballcarriers during his three years as a starter.

The 2007 Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year has always been a tremendous hitter who turns heads with his "de-cleater" tackles. He has excellent quickness for his size and was the unquestioned defensive leader in the middle of the field. He has solid football instincts and is always around the action.

Mays was a standout linebacker at Hyde Park High School, where he was a two-time first- team All-Conference performer and a first team All-City selection for head coach Wesley Yates. He recorded 115 tackles his senior season, including 16 sacks and had a pair of interceptions. He also produced 110 tackles his junior campaign.

Mays enrolled at North Dakota State in 2003, spending the season with the scout team. He played in 11 games as a reserve inside linebacker and special-teamer in 2004. That season, he registered 45 tackles (28 solo) with three sacks and five stops for losses.

Mays earned first-team All-Great West Football Conference honors from the media and was chosen to Football Gazette's All-Region second-team in 2005. He took over middle linebacker chores, pacing the Bison with 83 tackles (48 solo). He added four sacks, 10.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and eight pressures. He also picked off three passes and caused two fumbles.

The North Dakota State middle linebacker was limited at midseason by a groin injury, but still tied for the team lead with 67 tackles (38 solo) in 2006. He was again named to the All-GWFC first-team, as he had two sacks, five stops for losses and a forced fumble. He also broke up three passes.

The Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year received All-American honors as a senior in 2007. He sat out the Southern Utah game with a hip strain, but still led the team with a career-high 90 tackles (45 solo), including 2.5 sacks and nine stops for minus-32 yards. He deflected six passes and gained 49 yards on two kickoff returns.

Mays started 31 of 43 games at North Dakota State, recording 285 total tackles and a school-record 159 solo hits. He had 11 sacks for minus-90 yards, 29.5 stops for losses of 131 yards and 12 quarterback pressures. He caused four fumbles, batted down 11 passes and intercepted three others for 29 yards in returns. He also gained 53 yards on three kickoff returns (17.7-yard average).

Career Notes: Mays' 159 solo tackles set the school career-record, topping the previous mark of 134 by safety Craig Dahl (2003-06) ... Led the team in tackles in from 2005-07 (tied in 2006), joining Sean Fredricks (1995-97) as the only players in school history to lead the Bison in tackles three times in a career.

High School: Attended Hyde Park (Chicago, Ill.) Career Academy High School, playing football for head coach Wesley Yates ... Two-time first-team All-Conference performer and a first team All-City selection ... Recorded 115 tackles his senior season, including 16 sacks and had a pair of interceptions ... Produced 110 tackles his junior campaign.

Positives: Lacks height, but has impressive upper-body muscle structure (sometimes gets too muscular), thick chest, broad shoulders, thick thighs and calves ... Best flowing down the line and making plays on the move ... Impact hitter on initial contact, showing good balance and adequate body control, sinking his weight properly to drive through the ballcarrier ... Gets his teammates lined up, but is better reading keys on run plays than when working in the zone ... Fires low off the snap and is combative with his hands in attempts to shed and split double teams ... Has a low center of gravity to get under the pads of a lead blocker to clog the rush lane ... Comes out of his stance and attacks the ballcarrier with good force and has the hand strength to dislodge the ball from the opponent ... Brings his hips and drives hard with his legs to impede the forward progress of a ballcarrier ... Good at stacking and controlling multiple blockers, which frees up his outside linebackers to make the play ... Stays on his feet well, fighting throughout when working in traffic ... Shows good leverage ability taking on offensive linemen ... Solid wrapup tackler who will generally bring his man down once he gets a piece of the opponent ... Reacts quickly and attacks runners when he sees the cutback lanes developing ... Not the greatest, but can get decent pass depth in the short area ... More of a bull rusher than a pass rusher, but has a good concept for taking angles that shorten his path to the quarterback ... Has better vision on running plays, as he has that explosive initial step shooting the gaps ... In pass coverage, he is capable of sticking to tight ends and slot backs -- not speed receivers -- as uses his hands to reroute.

Compares To: London Fletcher-Washington ... Similar in size, their playing strength is the most impressive common trait between these 'backers. Mays looks like he could relieve Charles Atlas from holding the world on his shoulders, but that physique has also led to change-of-direction issues, as he sometimes gets overmuscular, looking stiff in his movements, especially when chasing down plays on the outside. Even if used only as a two-down performer, he could bring nice value late in the draft.

D1g1tal j1m
07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.kffl.com/player/19627/NFL

Eagles | Joe Mays participated in rookie camp
Comment (0) Tweet! Share on Facebook

Wed, 26 May 2010 16:56:10 -0400

Philadelphia Eagles LB Joe Mays took part in the team's rookie camp and has been participating in their offseason workouts, reports Jeff McLane, of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The team is hoping the extra repetitions will entrench Mays as the backup to LB Stewart Bradley.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/19627/NFL#ixzz0vDrSAvlT

Tempus Fugit
07-30-2010, 09:26 PM
One less competitor for the 3rd down back role. Perhaps a precursor to a Westbrook signing?

D1g1tal j1m
07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Eagles had too many LBs and the Broncos has too many RBs, so it was a good swap for both teams. Eagles give up a backup MLB and special teamer and the Broncos give up a backup RB and returner coming off knee issues.

OrangeHoof
07-30-2010, 09:43 PM
What a Chinese fire drill the Eagles could have if they all could stay healthy. But these little scatbacks just have trouble staying on the field.

Traveler
07-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Any news on when Thomas might be signed?

dogfish
07-30-2010, 10:47 PM
works for me. . . i was never enthused about arrington anyway, thought it was dumb to keep going back to a dude who's never been special and wasn't healthy. . . i would guess this most likely means that they've seen enough to feel comfortable with toney baker, although kolby smith could still be a candidate for the third RB spot as well. . .

GGMoogly
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
As Arrington goes, so go...oh, wait...he's gone. Never mind .:coffee:

Bosco
07-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Didn't see that coming, but more competition at ILB is always a plus.

underrated29
07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I think like dog.

Baker or more likely kolby smith have shown they are legit enough. Probably both...

IMO- knowshon, bucky, baker, smith

additionally this tells me that we are either Not satisfied with haggan as our runstuffing ILB, or our backups there really blow......Lets not forget that we really wanted a LB from this draft, missed on mclain and none others fell to us. But Josh did say they wanted a LB. I do not expect this guy to amount to much but I am slightly concerned now about our ILB spot.

- on a side note i feel it sorry that JJ was soo happy and wanted to be here so bad. raved about josh and said after we cut him last year that he did not even look anywhere else because he wanted to play here...tough luck.

BroncoWave
07-30-2010, 11:17 PM
works for me. . . i was never enthused about arrington anyway, thought it was dumb to keep going back to a dude who's never been special and wasn't healthy. . . i would guess this most likely means that they've seen enough to feel comfortable with toney baker, although kolby smith could still be a candidate for the third RB spot as well. . .

Don't forget Bruce Hall! :D

I'm pulling for him because I got to watch play for the community college in my town and he was by far their best player.

shank
07-31-2010, 12:07 AM
didn't see this coming... josh spoke highly of jj just yesterday.

surprising, yet unsurprised.

p.s. larsen is an ILB, let him play the position!

dogfish
07-31-2010, 12:14 AM

don't get me started, i'll just wind up bitching about hillis. . .

but yea, i was hoping to see larsen play some ILB this year, his skillset is pretty well-suited to it. . .

getlynched47
07-31-2010, 12:48 AM
We traded an injured runningback coming off of microfracture surgery and a year out of the NFL for a mediocre linebacker.

Fair trade. Get over it.

This speaks volumes for the coaching staff's confidence in either Toney Baker, Bruce Hall, or Kolby Smith.................unless JJ Arrington sucked really badly during these past 3 days.

BroncoWave
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
We traded an injured runningback coming off of microfracture surgery and a year out of the NFL for a mediocre linebacker.

Fair trade. Get over it.

This speaks volumes for the coaching staff's confidence in either Toney Baker, Bruce Hall, or Kolby Smith.................unless JJ Arrington sucked really badly during these past 3 days.

Who was complaining?

Hoser
07-31-2010, 01:25 AM
I like the trade. We have no depth behind Haggan for the Ted LB spot. Larsen is now a full time FB and Woodyard is more of a 3rd down pass coverage LB. Haggan is nothing but a thumper against the run, and Mays is the exact same way.

5'11 246, highly instinctive, and often accused of being too muscular. Sounds like a run stopper to me :D

Here's a decent (albeit short) highlight film of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBTDYX09wM&feature=related

Hoser
07-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Nice little bit of info, Mays led the NFL in tackles during the 08 pre-season with 30 stops. Not bad.

sneakers
07-31-2010, 02:09 AM
Defensive problems solved.

Dean
07-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Championship! ;)

Dirk
07-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm good with it. Unfortunately, I think JJ is not going to be able to hold up. I wish the best for him.

Dirk
07-31-2010, 07:53 AM

Of course he did...he was wanting to trade him. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
07-31-2010, 07:55 AM
I like the trade. We have no depth behind Haggan for the Ted LB spot.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure we brought in Akin Ayodele for exactly that reason. Not just to "back up" Haggan, but to compete for the starting job. The guy has been playing TED for years in Dallas and then Miami. He's never missed a game in his career. Everyone is acting like Haggan has the starting job locked up because he was here last year and made the switch... I wouldn't be so sure.

If Ayers, Moss, Kirlew, or Reid (who's currently PUP'd) can't step up into the OLB spot and be ready to start game #1, then Haggan will end up right back in that spot with Ayodele starting inside and May potentially backing him up.

jhildebrand
07-31-2010, 09:54 AM
W

Or it speaks volumes about them bringing in B Westbrook as they said they might early in the off season.

Or it says more about the ILB situation than the RB situation.

silkamilkamonico
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty sure Mays is a special teams player only, and a damn good one at that.

TXBRONC
07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Mays is a special teams player only, and a damn good one at that.

That's probably about all we were going to get out Arrington as well.

LTC Pain
07-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I won't miss Arrington.

TXBRONC
07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
I won't miss Arrington.

I thought he might not make the team anyway. At least this way instead of just cutting him McDaniels got something in return. Good move imo.

TimTebow15MVP
07-31-2010, 12:20 PM
machine gun joe WILL play special teams and he WILL play inside line backer for the broncos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBTDYX09wM&list=QL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznF_3Z3TGM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBTDYX09wM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gwL69VhM4&feature=related

Northman
07-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Considering how much time JJ spends hurt we got a steal in this trade.

LTC Pain
07-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I thought he might not make the team anyway. At least this way instead of just cutting him McDaniels got something in return. Good move imo.

Agreed. The Broncos get depth at LB with Mays and have others (Royal/Cox/Smith) who can return punts and kickoffs. And I'm not concerned about depth at RB given who's on the roster.

dogfish
07-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure we brought in Akin Ayodele for exactly that reason. Not just to "back up" Haggan, but to compete for the starting job. The guy has been playing TED for years in Dallas and then Miami. He's never missed a game in his career. Everyone is acting like Haggan has the starting job locked up because he was here last year and made the switch... I wouldn't be so sure.

also, i'm pretty sure nick greisen played TED in baltimore. . . .

not that a little extra depth helps. . . this was just exchanging some spare parts, and neither guys is a lock to make the respective team's roster. . .

TXBRONC
07-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Considering how much time JJ spends hurt we got a steal in this trade.

It sure does look that way right now.

rcsodak
07-31-2010, 04:51 PM

surprising, yet unsurprised.

Maybe this will allow Larsen to play on the other side, where, imo, he's a better fit.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe this will allow Larsen to play on the other side, where, imo, he's a better fit.

I don't know what you mean by "other side", rc. Are you talking about of the other ILB spot (Jack), what DJ plays, or the other side of the ball as in FB? I don't see Larson supplanting DJ Williams any time soon.

Lonestar
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
machine gun joe WILL play special teams and he WILL play inside line backer for the broncos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBTDYX09wM&list=QL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznF_3Z3TGM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gwL69VhM4&feature=related

looks pretty impressive to me a good hitter and seems to wrap up pretty good although I have seen better at wrapping up he reminds me of Al Wilson a bit.

Grover
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a feeling this trade might just be a little bit about Darrell Reid not being healthy. Reid is a great special teams player, and Mays is set to replace Reid in that spot. Reports are that Reid will miss all of training camp so I think they brought in someone to knock heads and make tackles on the punt and kick coverage units.

Lonestar
07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a feeling this trade might just be a little bit about Darrell Reid not being healthy. Reid is a great special teams player, and Mays is set to replace Reid in that spot. Reports are that Reid will miss all of training camp so I think they brought in someone to knock heads and make tackles on the punt and kick coverage units.

IIRC they play completely different positions one is ILB and Reid is OLB.. but then I could be wrong I was thinking he was a DE before.

Tned
07-31-2010, 10:16 PM
IIRC they play completely different positions one is ILB and Reid is OLB.. but then I could be wrong I was thinking he was a DE before.

I think he means "same spot" in terms of special teams. While Reid rotated in on D, his biggest contribution was probably on special teams, both in Denver and when he was in Indy. Grover is suggesting that the hole Reid is leaving on our special teams unit might have prompted this trade.

nevcraw
08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
wonder if they wish now they kept him..

dogfish
08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
wonder if they wish now they kept him..

why would they? he can't run between the tackles-- wouldn't do a thing to help replace knowshon if he is seriously hurt. . .

underrated29
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
all this speculation is stupid. There is no way we could have predicted or known that both buck and knowshon would get dinged up on day 1....

You can not predict injuries. This is just silly.

TXBRONC
08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
all this speculation is stupid. There is no way we could have predicted or known that both buck and knowshon would get dinged up on day 1....

You can not predict injuries. This is just silly.

It's ironic but like you said it's not predicable. Hopefully the report you gave (I think it was you :confused:) in the Moreno about his injury not being tear hopefully means it's nothing serious.

jhildebrand
08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Meh! You cant predict things like this.

One of the things I like the most about McDaniels is he runs a real TC. I truly believed the late season issues with the Shanahan teams were the soft TC's. Without fail we would get out of TC ok but players would start dropping as soon as the season started.

I am definitely not happy to hear about these injuries by any means. But I like the tough camps for this reason.

JDL
08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
What was Arrington going to do anyway? Lay down some more when a LB came at him (that IS in fact what he is most famous for.) I am amazed we got anything for the guy really and everyone should be happy even if it is another warm camp body. Arrington only really was decent to catch a few passes out of the backfield, he was otherwise a below average RB and a mediocre KR (people seem to not understand his career numbers are on par with Chris Cole's former Broncos WR.) In fact, JJ's were inflated a great deal by 93 and 99 KRs... because his sample size is so small... he was so prone to run for less than 20yds on any given return, sure he had speed, but no moves, and generally not the courage it takes to be even an average KR like Droughns was. (Yup, Droughns was significantly higher.)

Point is we can find guys to do what JJ does... question is can we find someone with the stomach to pound it inside and get tough yards? The league is filled with no name guys that make it and there really isn't any excuse for at least finding an average guy that can hold the fort down.

BroncoNut
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Jags had some good things to say about Baker.

CoachChaz
08-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Mays is simply a special teams stud. Sure...his presence adds depth to the linebacker spot, but don't read too much into it. This move is more about getting a special teams beast than it is about unhappiness with Reid, Haggan or Larsen