PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Little: Looking back at a big Broncos career

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_15633248?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Ever wanted to ask sports personality a question? Now's your chance. They will answer readers' questions in The Denver Post's "Fan Mail" feature.

In this special installment, Broncos soon-to-be Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little talks about his favorite Mile High memories, meeting the legendary Ernie Davis, getting fired by Lou Saban and his brief career singing a commercial jingles for a local hot dog company.

Keep an eye out for the next installment or make a suggestion for the next participant by sending an email to fanmail@denverpost.com

Floyd, what is the greatest Floyd Little moment in a Denver Broncos uniform?
-- Clyde, Severance

Floyd Little: There are two great days I remember the most.

One day in 1972 they declared it "Floyd Little Day" at Mile High Stadium. They gave me a new car and all sorts of honors. They presented my family to the fans. They did it up right. Gov. John Love and Mayor (Bill) McNichols issued proclamations for me. It was a wonderful day.

The other day I most remember was the last game I played at Mile High Stadium (Dec. 14, 1975 vs. Philadelphia). That's the game I caught a screen pass and ran down the sidelines and scored on a (66-yard) screen pass. That was my last game in Denver, in front of the greatest fans in the world.

The fans carried me off the field. And I remember that two of the Eagles, (wide receiver) Harold Carmichael and (linebacker) Bill Berge came over to our sidelines after the game. They thanked me for all I had done for football. They told me that I would be missed and they wished me well. Think of that! Two players from another team coming over to say that to me? I will never forget that.

I would be most grateful if you might tender a short story of when you first met Ernie Davis. Thanks and congratulations.
--PDD

FL: The way I first met Ernie was different than in the movie "The Express." I'll tell you what really happened. I had just left West Point where I met Gen. Douglas MacArthur where I had done some workouts and physical tests and I broke all the records of Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard. I thought I was going to Army.

Anyway, I was back home (In New Haven, Conn.) with my mom and sisters and brother. There was a knock on the door and there in the doorway stood Ernie Davis and Ben Schwartzwalder, Syracuse's the head coach. They said they were there to see Floyd Little.

Oh my God! My sisters were overwhelmed. I mean, here is the Heisman Trophy winner at our door. Ernie says, 'Floyd, I have come to take you to dinner. So we go out to dinner at this restaurant near Yale. I ordered steak and lobster first time I had ever had it.

So Ernie and I went into the men's room and we were talking. He was trying to get me to go to Syracuse. We must have talked in the bathroom for a half-hour, me with my foot up against the urinal.

We talked and talked, and I promised him I would go to Syracuse because my steak and lobster were getting cold. So I promised Ernie, and then he died and I knew I had to go to Syracuse. Gen. MacArthur had said that I could be the first African-American general if I went to West Point. I might have been Colin Powell's superior. But my word is gold, and I went to Syracuse.

In my opinion, the players that played in your era of football are not recognized enough for all the contributions you guys made to the game and "paved the way" for this generation of football. What, if any, is your relationship with the current NFL Players Association and what does the players association do for retired players (such as yourself) who played in a different era when players were not making millions of dollars a year?
-- Douglas, Aurora

FL: I have been a member of the NFLPA since I retired and I have attended most of their conferences. I have to say they have not done as much as they could have or should have for the older players. The active players, when they are slicing up the pie, want to get more for themselves. They don't realize what we did for the league, or that they are going to be older themselves some day.

I do think that the new leadership has some new attitude under (executive director) DeMaurice Smith. I think his opinion is that all NFL players are one team with one voice. I hope that means we will increase benefits for those who are in need.

I think a lot of people took their pensions too early, so their pensions have been diminished quite a bit. But players from my era had so many issues. They took early retirement and they lack a good pension. I'd say 90 percent are divorced.

Look, it was totally different. I was a No. 1 draft choice and I got a $10,000 signing bonus. My salary was $23,000 and most of my teammates made under six grand a year. There is no comparison to what we were paid and what they are paid now.

Now we are in our 60s and we can't pay for our medications. Hopefully, there is a guy in place now that will help us get benefits.

Floyd, the first time I saw you play was one of your first preseason games at the old DU stadium, I think it was against the Vikings; I do remember the Broncos wining. (Aug. 18. 1967). You were the first credible draft choice that the Broncos had that year. Could you highlight the importance of your signing with the Broncos and what it meat to the AFL? And the second question, was there any nastier place to play, facilities-wise then the old DU stadium back in 1967?
-- Stephen, Wisconsin

FL: I was drafted the first year after the AFL and NFL agreed to a merger, so it was the common draft. But the Broncos were still struggling to keep their franchise, to create a winning team.

It's funny, because I remember that I had reached an agreement with the Jets and (owner) Sonny Werblin if they took me with the ninth pick of the first round. But the Broncos took me with the sixth pick. I could have played with Joe Namath and gone to the Super Bowl! But I'm glad how it turned out and I got to come to Denver and play.

The old stadium at DU wasn't the worst at all. The worst, by far, was the old War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo. That place had about a 30-gallon hot water tank, so that all of the coaches would take a hot shower first and there wasn't any left for the players.

So we couldn't take a real shower. It was too cold. I would just take a wet towel and wipe off the sweat and dirt and mud and get on the plane. I didn't shower until I got home to Denver. Compared to War Memorial, DU Stadium was A-plus.

Floyd, I didn't cry when I heard you were going to be inducted into the HOF, I was too darn happy, but I might when I watch the ceremony! Congratulations on your very deserved honor. In your nine-year career, you played on two winning teams. How did it feel for you when, two years after you retired, the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl? Did you feel like you missed out on something? Or did you feel that you laid the foundation for what came after?
--Denver Post reader

FL: When I retired with Charlie Johnson (in 1975), I always thought if we had come back for one more year we could have won.

But when they did make the Super Bowl (in 1977) I did feel left out. I felt they could have included me in some way, I wish that I would have been more of a part of that. I was the captain for nine seasons. But I feel that when I retired, we were moving in the direction that landed the Broncos in the first Super Bowl.

Mr. Little, I just finished reading the article in the July 26th publication of Sports Illustrated entitled "The Unexpected Hero." First, may I say I admire your tenacity as well as that of your No. 1 fan, Tom Mackie. Now for my question: Would you change anything over the course of your lifetime that brought you to this moment of your induction into the Hall of Fame?
-- Vikki Hanratty, Albuquerque

FL: That's a good question that no one really ever asks. For me, it's all about fate. There is a reason why Ernie Davis came to my door. There is a reason why reason whey Lou Saban drafted me, thinking he could build a team around me. Even if I had been drafted by the Jets and had gone on to win a Super Bowl, I'm still happy how things turned out. I went to Denver and fell in love with the city and the people. Now I'm going to the Hall of Fame as a Bronco.

Just one question for one of the Broncos royalty -- Floyd. Orange jerseys or Blue jerseys?
-- Robert Jones

FL: I like the blue jerseys better. Actually, I always liked the white jerseys. I just don't like the orange on me. I know, I know, I'm a (Syracuse) Orangeman, but I never liked all of that orange. I never wanted to stand out like that, and I think the orange makes you stand out. But my favorite Broncos uniform is the blue with the orange piping. I love those uniforms they are wearing now.

I was a 12-year-old kid sitting in the South Stands for the game where Lou Saban "fired" you (In 1968 vs. Buffalo). The play you made where you ran back onto the field and made a great catch to setup the winning field goal is one of my all time Bronco favorites. My question: If you had not made that catch, do you think Lou would have really "fired" you? (or traded you?)
-- Tim, Highlands Ranch

FL: I just can't imagine that he really would have fired me, but you never know (huge laugh)!

But I remember I was really adamant and making a lot of gestures on the sidelines. I told Lou to go to hell. After I made the catch, Lou called me over to the sideline and said, 'OK, I'm giving you one more week.' If I hadn't scored caught that pass, I'm not sure what would have happened. I guess Lou wanted to see the rage in me. All in all, that was a great day.

(Editor's note: The game in questioned occurred on Nov. 24, 1968 at Bears Stadium. Little fumbled the ball late in the game, leading to a Buffalo Bills go-ahead field goal.The fiery Saban admonished Little in front of the home Bears Stadium crowd, in essence, he fired Little. Undeterred, Little went back on the field and caught a long pass from Marlin Briscoe, setting up the Broncos' game-winning field goal)

Floyd, first, congratulations on a well-deserved and long overdue honor. My question: Back in that game against the Bills when Coach Saban "fired" you and you refused to stay out, and caught the pass that led to the winning score, did you ever get anything negative from Coach Saban afterward for pretty much ignoring his "termination"?
-- Fred, Prairie du Chien, Wisc.

FL: Oh no, we were fine. Lou and I were always very close. We used to get together and have meetings after every season. Lou said a lot of things to a lot of guys. He fired a lot of guys in the locker room.

Who was the meanest defensive player you ever went up against? Who do you think is the toughest defender of all-time?
-- Casey Martin, Telluride

FL: The meanest? I don't know who was the meanest, but I would have to say that of all the guys I played against, the Kansas City Chiefs' Willie Lanier was the toughest. Especially since he was assigned to shadow me all the time. He could hit you.

After our playing days, we became friends and he told me about their strategy. I used to line up on the extra-point and field-goal teams and Willie told me that one of the things the Chiefs tried to do was give me extra hits, thinking I would wear down late in the game. They figured if they kept me under 100 yards we weren't going to win.

But the meanest player. I guess (the Steelers') "Mean" Joe Green was mean, but not because of his name. He was probably the most physical player I've went up against. When I got into the Hall of Fame, Joe called me up and said, "I just want you to know that you were the best football player I went up against."

I heard a story once that you had to do odd jobs in the offseason during your days in the NFL. Is there any truth to that?
-- Joe, Greeley

FL: Oh yeah, we all had to work in the offseason. Nobody made enough money that we didn't have to work. I started out hauling beer for Coors. It was the start of their management-training program. I also went to law school and went to work for the Ford Motor Company, too.

Hey Floyd, as 34-year Broncos fan (Denver resident 1976-85), lifelong Syracuse fan and resident, what is your most memorable game at Archbold Stadium?
--Brad Clarry, Syracuse

FL: That's easy. It was the first game I ever played there. I was a sophomore and I was not expecting to start, I was on second-team offense and defense.

Anyway, the Kansas Jayhawks were there and everybody was there to see an All-American named Gale Sayers. Coach came into the locker room before the game and said that Jim Nance was going to play fullback and I would play halfback. He moved George "Billy" Hunter to defensive back to help us stop Sayers. Billy's now the executive director of the NBA Players Association.

Anyway, we beat the crap out of Kansas (38-6), Sayers didn't do much and I scored five touchdowns. I was never asked to play defense after that.

Floyd, do you remember your ads for Top-Dog Wieners?
-- Anita, Denver

FL: (Laughing) Oh my God, yes! (Singing) "Top-Dog Wieners are doggone good."

They wanted me to do something for Sigman Meats. They paid me very little, but it was a lot of fun. They took me up to the mountains and made these posters with me with a hot dog and my helmet on. There were billboards all over town.

When we did the commercials, they told me, "This is what we want you to say." I started singing it, and they liked it. So that's what happened. As a result, Day Chevrolet started me doing ads. (Singing) "Any day you can beat a Day deal, that will be the day!" They loved it. That brings back memories. Those were some great times.

On Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio, Floyd Little will become the third Broncos player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Little, a three-time All-America running back at Syracuse, was the Denver Broncos first round draft pick, sixth player selected overall, in the 1967 AFL-NFL Draft.

He was one of the most versatile players in the NFL. As a rookie he led the American Football League in punt returns with a 16.9 average on 16 returns. He scored the only touchdown on a punt return that season in the AFL courtesy of his 72-yard return against the New York Jets.

In 1971, he became the first 1,000-yard rusher in Denver Broncos history, winning the NFL rushing title that year, finishing with 1,133 yards on 284 carries. Little played for the Broncos from 1967-75. At the time of his retirement, he ranked seventh all-time rushing in NFL history.

titan
07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting. I'm the "Tim from Highlands Ranch" who asked the question about the game Lou Saban "fired" Floyd. Still remember that game as if it was yesterday.