PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the news feed on top of the Broncos Talk Forum?

Tned
06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
The news items are out of order (not the newest first), but that is just because I loaded it with test data.

It would update every 10 minutes with the latest Broncos headlines from about 7 different Broncos/NFL sites.

What do you guys think. Do you like having it in the BroncosTalk forum, or would you prefer it remains in its own news feed forum?

I saw this on another site and thought it was interesting, so figured I would duplicate it here and see what people think.

Let me know if you like it or don't like it, or have any suggestions related to ti.

Two things I know I need to do is to have it launch in a new window when you click on a link, and go straight to the news story, rather than Totalbroncos.com.

T

Kaylore
06-24-2008, 01:09 AM
I like

Nature Boy
06-24-2008, 02:12 AM
How about putting it at the bottom. It takes up too space on top and most people don't read it anyways. As soon as I saw it, I scrolled down and will continue to if it's that way.

Lonestar
06-24-2008, 02:28 AM
When I saw it it freaked me out had to go back and forth to the football forums and then bronco talk three times. before I figured out to scroll down somemore..

I 'd rather have it at the bottom if we keep it..

DenBronx
06-24-2008, 03:24 AM
How about putting it at the bottom. It takes up too space on top and most people don't read it anyways. As soon as I saw it, I scrolled down and will continue to if it's that way.

When I saw it it freaked me out had to go back and forth to the football forums and then bronco talk three times. before I figured out to scroll down somemore..

agreed with both of these guys. i really dont feel like scrolling before i can find a thread. i like he concept but maybe it needs to be in a differant area? tned, maybe try it at the bottom first and see how everyone likes it?

LoyalSoldier
06-24-2008, 03:40 AM
I like the idea, but needs better implementation. As it stands it takes the input from the mouse wheel which is highly annoying since I use that to browse a forum.

Midnight Blue
06-24-2008, 03:57 AM

Yeah, me too. Where it's currently placed, I think I'd find it annoying.

PatricktheDookie
06-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Bottom is probably best.

Skinny
06-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Top or bottom, either works for me.

Retired_Member_001
06-24-2008, 06:36 AM
I think this board is going to start getting cluttered at this rate. I think we should keep the nice and simple design and get rid of the Tag Cloud and the Feed thingy.

Thanks for the effort though Tned.

:salute:

SR
06-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Didn't even know it was there to be perfectly honest.

frauschieze
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
It's a neat feature but one that I think would be best housed in it's own forum, or the like. I think of the Broncos Talk forum as a place to find conversation, not news links. I think putting it at the bottom would make people forget it was there.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I love it as to where you put it, it doesn't matter to me.

MOtorboat
06-24-2008, 08:08 AM
I like it. And I don't mind it there either.

Thnikkaman
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
FWIW and from a Human Computer Interaction standpoint, you are straying away more and more from a clean simple interface. Do you know if it would be possible to make it a user enabled feature? Otherwise it should be put on its own page or scrapped.

Rick
06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
There is also times that I open the forum for broncos-talk and the news and forums are pushed way down the page with only the title at the top. This isn't all the time, or even very often but it does happen enough to me to make it annoying.

Personally to me how you had the news before, in it's own forum,was better.

Rick
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
http://buenavistatruevalue.com/images/screen.gif

A simply refresh fixes it but it does happen to me fairly often.

LRtagger
06-24-2008, 09:22 AM
not a fan

Tned-Mobile
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
FWIW and from a Human Computer Interaction standpoint, you are straying away more and more from a clean simple interface. Do you know if it would be possible to make it a user enabled feature? Otherwise it should be put on its own page or scrapped.

No, it couldn't be user selectable, but I just saw the concept when I was looking for something else (it was on a cricket fan forum) and decided to put it up and see what you guys think.

I also have it in it's own test forum on the main forum index. The forum is Called Test News Feed or something like that.

I could be left where it is, moved to the bottom, or only put in it's own forum. I am was working on the news feed to try and remove duplicates, when I came across this.

There is also times that I open the forum for broncos-talk and the news and forums are pushed way down the page with only the title at the top. This isn't all the time, or even very often but it does happen enough to me to make it annoying.

Personally to me how you had the news before, in it's own forum,was better.

http://buenavistatruevalue.com/images/screen.gif

Did this only start since I added the news last night? I have never seen this happen. Anyone else seen this?
A simply refresh fixes it but it does happen to me fairly often.

Thnikkaman
06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
No, it couldn't be user selectable, but I just saw the concept when I was looking for something else (it was on a cricket fan forum) and decided to put it up and see what you guys think.

I also have it in it's own test forum on the main forum index. The forum is Called Test News Feed or something like that.

I could be left where it is, moved to the bottom, or only put in it's own forum. I am was working on the news feed to try and remove duplicates, when I came across this.

I'm all for constantly improving the site. There just needs to be a line between scope creep and forum improvement. Maybe shrink it down a bit, it is taking up a ton of screen real-estate.

Traveler
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
pass.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with Thnikka.

BOSSHOGG30
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't mind it... but I don't like clicking links... Also, when I want to know what is going on around the league I like to read through MB's articles he post, this sort of takes away from what MB is doing for our site.

Rick
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Did this only start since I added the news last night? I have never seen this happen. Anyone else seen this?

Yes it only happens with the news feed for me, no other forum and has not happend before.

PatricktheDookie
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
All right - now that it's asking me to pay to view the articles being linked, I think the whole thing should be tossed out.

topscribe
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I like it where it is. Bottom would be okay, but I'm not for hiding it away in its
own forum. We already have that, except for the scrolling feature. Top or
bottom, but leave it in front.

IMHO.

-----

DenBronx
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I love it as to where you put it, it doesn't matter to me.

which probably explains why your still a charlie adams fan.

Nature Boy
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
All right - now that it's asking me to pay to view the articles being linked, I think the whole thing should be tossed out.

Pay? really? LOL.

Nature Boy
06-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I think this board is going to start getting cluttered at this rate. I think we should keep the nice and simple design and get rid of the Tag Cloud and the Feed thingy.

Thanks for the effort though Tned.

:salute:

Finally we both can agree on something. The tags are annoying and especially this feed thingy. To me it's just spam.

BroncoBJ
06-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of the feed thing. I read stuff that people post and MB's articles and stuff.
I don't really care too much for the feed thing though. :(

Tned
06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm all for constantly improving the site. There just needs to be a line between scope creep and forum improvement. Maybe shrink it down a bit, it is taking up a ton of screen real-estate.

I run fairly high res, so for me it wasn't too much. I tend to tweak, and then see what people like, and then go from there. For instance, prior to the merging of the Broncosfreaks folks into here, I had already created the High-Five system (some of my 'tweaking'), which wasn't well received by the ex-mania crowd, because we were used to the CP/Rep/MHS type system.

That's Scout.com aritlces. They require a subscription, but for people that have it subscriptions to them, they often have good articles.

I like it where it is. Bottom would be okay, but I'm not for hiding it away in its
own forum. We already have that, except for the scrolling feature. Top or
bottom, but leave it in front.

IMHO.

-----

I'm going to pull it for now (Tned hears a collective cheer fromt the crowds...), but when I get a chance I will see about adding it to the home page (vBadvanced sections). I think having news on the front page is important for people visiting for the first time, but don't like the way I am showing the newsfeed below the Broncosforums articles. So, when I get a chance, I will see about replacing the news section with a larger (taller) version of what I put on top of this page, but keep it below the Broncosforums writers' articles on the home page.

Thnikkaman
06-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I run fairly high res, so for me it wasn't too much. I tend to tweak, and then see what people like, and then go from there. For instance, prior to the merging of the Broncosfreaks folks into here, I had already created the High-Five system (some of my 'tweaking'), which wasn't well received by the ex-mania crowd, because we were used to the CP/Rep/MHS type system.

And we thank you for the rep system. And as far as res goes, a good rule of thumb is to assume that everyone is running at 1024x768.