PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Selected

Ziggy
06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
U.S. men's team announced, with high hopes of regaining gold

CHICAGO -- MVP Kobe Bryant will be heading to his first Olympics, and he'll have LeBron James and Dwyane Wade with him.

They will lead a U.S. Olympic basketball team that was announced Monday -- one that hopes to capture the gold medal in Beijing in August after a third-place showing in Athens four years ago. They'll have plenty of help.

Carmelo Anthony and Jason Kidd were among the 12 players placed on the squad. They were joined by Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Michael Redd and Deron Williams.

The team was selected without a tryout. It will have a minicamp this week in Las Vegas and reconvene there July 20-25 to train and play an exhibition against Canada before heading overseas.

The Americans open Olympic play against China on Aug. 10.

Although the Americans captured the gold at the Sydney Games in 2000, they no longer dominate international play as they once did. The talent gap has narrowed and many top NBA players have chosen to not play for the national team in recent years.

Now, the U.S. will field a team that appears loaded. Then again, the Americans went 5-3 in Athens and lost for the first time since NBA players started competing in 1992, even though they had James, Anthony, Wade and Tim Duncan. That group got routed by Puerto Rico before losing to Lithuania and Argentina, but this one is confident it will take the gold.

Bryant just won his first MVP and led the Los Angeles Lakers to the NBA Finals. James averaged 30.0 points -- just enough to beat Bryant for the scoring title.

Those two, along with Anthony, Kidd and Dwight Howard, started for a team that went unbeaten in the Olympic qualifying tournament last year.

Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire withdrew from Olympic consideration, apparently concerned about pushing his body too hard after knee surgery in 2005 and 2006. So did Detroit's Chauncey Billups, who would have had a tough time making the team, given the depth in the backcourt.

Wade cemented his spot after U.S. Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo watched him work out in Chicago recently. Wade has had chronic soreness in his left knee since undergoing surgery in 2007, and his season ended in March.

Wade started working out in Chicago in May, and James and Paul joined him to help sharpen his game. Colangelo paid a visit and left convinced the 6-foot-4 guard was healthy.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

This team is seriously talented, but the one thing that stands out for me is the lack of overall size. Only 3 big men on the roster, Howard, Bosh, and Boozer, and Bosh is a 'soft' big man. Still, we should recapture the gold this year.

BOSSHOGG30
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Jason Kidd?! wow, they must be desperate

turftoad
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM

They could be looking for an elder statesman for leadership.

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
He probably will not play much with Chris Paul and Deron Williams on the team. They are both better than Kidd. Maybe they needed some veteran leadership or something.

MOtorboat
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
This team is seriously talented, but the one thing that stands out for me is the lack of overall size. Only 3 big men on the roster, Howard, Bosh, and Boozer, and Bosh is a 'soft' big man. Still, we should recapture the gold this year.

Size seems to be a little less important in the international game, maybe that's the thinking behind that decision.

Think of the foreign big-men...most of them are pretty soft...Nowitski, Gasol...the exception is probably Yao.

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Size seems to be a little less important in the international game, maybe that's the thinking behind that decision.

Think of the foreign big-men...most of them are pretty soft...Nowitski, Gasol...the exception is probably Yao.
I wonder how well Yao is going to play with the injuries he has had recently. I'm sure the Chinese government is in love with him right now.

Slick
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
A decent looking team for the most part, but I agree with you Ziggy, pretty thin in the big man department. I hope they can stay out of foul trouble.

What does everyone think of Coach K? Right man for the job?

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
A decent looking team for the most part, but I agree with you Ziggy, pretty thin in the big man department. I hope they can stay out of foul trouble.

What does everyone think of Coach K? Right man for the job?
Yea, I think Coach K doesn't owe the pro players anything and he is coming from another mindset, so he doesn't need to worry about everyone getting their minutes or anything. Plus a large number of the players respect him such as Kobe (who would have gone to Duke if he didn't go pro), boozer who played for him, and Paul who played against him for a number of years.

I think in the Olympics it's more important to get a rah-rah, win one for the country type of guy, and it's easier to find that in a college coach than a pro coach.

Slick
06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Yea, I think Coach K doesn't owe the pro players anything and he is coming from another mindset, so he doesn't need to worry about everyone getting their minutes or anything. Plus a large number of the players respect him such as Kobe (who would have gone to Duke if he didn't go pro), boozer who played for him, and Paul who played against him for a number of years.

I think in the Olympics it's more important to get a rah-rah, win one for the country type of guy, and it's easier to find that in a college coach than a pro coach.

Well said. I've never been a Duke fan but I respect Coach K immensely. If he can get this team to play defense and be unselfish, we should be back to gold medals instead of a bronze.

Benetto
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
VEGAS is the training camp site? Vegas and pro athletes don't mix right...JMHO.

MOtorboat
06-23-2008, 12:29 PM
VEGAS is the training camp site? Vegas and pro athletes don't mix right...JMHO.

Has been the last few years or so, maybe more. Is this camp going on during the NBA Summer League? That's in Vegas, too, isn't it.

BroncoAV06
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I see no problem with size. Dwight is an absolute beast and can go off for 20 rebounds, Boozer is a double-double man, they might not have huge height but they are very solid bodies that are not easy to move. Bosh brings more scoring to the interior with his ability to float around and hit the mid range jumpers. With Prince you get defense and he showed that he can step up but with the players around him it looks like defense will be his focus. Overall I think the forwards are solid.

Lebron and Melo can get it done on offense, Wade the slasher, Redd and Kobe bring the outside threat, so it looks to have a good balance to the attack from the 2-3 spots, and Coach K does like to put Melo at the 4 at times.

As for the points I agree that Kidd brings the vetern leadership, he has fallen off but still have to like a double-double PG that can get a triple-double depending on playing time and will be able to feed the scorers. Paul push the tempo, get in the lane, and Williams even though he plays for the Jazz I have liked this kid and actually have stood up for him in debates, good size and play making ability.

Really overall the roster looks good, just have to gel and get a little chemistry going out of camp and I will be looking forward to the USA basketball. As we have seen they are going to have to want it and not think that they are going to win based on their names.

BOSSHOGG30
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
No Iggy?! or Andre Miller?! What a shame for all 76er fans around the world.... all 5 of us.

MOtorboat
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
No Iggy?! or Andre Miller?! What a shame for all 76er fans around the world.... all 5 of us.

:tsk:

BOSSHOGG30
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
:tsk:

Don't cry Mo.... I know it is a tough pill to swallow... I'm having a hard time believing it myself. :D

D1g1tal j1m
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I like everyone they picked except Melo. I would have preferred Caron Butler as a replacement. He is a warrior and tough defender who doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to score. He is a terrific rebounder from the SF position and has great energy plus went to UConn and singlehandedly put the team on his shoulders and into the tournament. But I guess he did had injury concerns throughout the season and probably wanted to rest this off-season.

D1g1tal j1m
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Homer bias.

Hope the Team brings home the Gold...

BroncoAV06
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Well on the flip side Melo was the USA player of the year last year and has performed very well on team USA. Who knows Coach K said he wants the team to buckle down and start the offense and break off the D, maybe that will be a good jump start for Melo?

honz
06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I like everyone they picked except Melo. I would have preferred Caron Butler as a replacement. He is a warrior and tough defender who doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to score. He is a terrific rebounder from the SF position and has great energy plus went to UConn and singlehandedly put the team on his shoulders and into the tournament. But I guess he did had injury concerns throughout the season and probably wanted to rest this off-season.
Melo absolutely dominated in the FIBA tournament last summer. No one can guard him one on one and he basically scored at will against everyone. I don't like Melo at all, but he will be a huge key to the success of Team USA this summer.

honz
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I wish that they would have brought one more big along for the ride and dropped either Prince or Wade, but they still assembled a VERY good squad. This is the best olympic team we have had in a while...probably since '96.

We will not be outmanned in any of the games this time around and the only question is whether this team can come together, play defense, and play as a team. Hopefully there is no 'getting blown out by the Carlos Arroyo led Peurto Rico team' this time around.

BOSSHOGG30
06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/iiguodala9/2841907_l.jpg

Why no love for IGGY! What a shame

honz
06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Shouldn't Iggy be working on that jump shot of his?

BOSSHOGG30
06-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Shouldn't Iggy be working on that jump shot of his?

No need... he just jumps over you and dunks it at his own will. :D

Ziggy
06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Howard incurred stress fracture during playoffs, should be fine for Olympics
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: June 28, 2008, 9:43 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Dwight Howard Suffers Sternum InjuryLAS VEGAS -- On their one and only day of mini-camp, Team USA was not whole.

Dwight Howard was forced to sit out practice Saturday due to a stress fracture of his sternum, an injury he sustained during the Orlando Magic's second round playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

"It's a six to eight week recovery time, and this is the sixth week," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski, who expects Howard to be fully healed by the time the team reconvenes for training camp July 21.

Still, the injury is worrisome for the Americans, who are planning to go to Beijing with just three big men -- Howard, Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer. If Howard were to aggravate the injury, that lack of front-line depth could become a major issue.

Howard said he sustained the injury when he collided simultaneously and was sandwiched between Jason Maxiell and Arron Afflalo of the Pistons. Doctors told him it is an injury typically incurred by hockey players.

"It hurts. I haven't been able to really do anything since the playoffs, but it'll be all right," Howard said. "I should be fine by the time we start training camp. That's what the doctor said. So there's no worries for me or the staff."

After holding a private team meeting Friday night, the Americans went through a light practice with little contact Saturday on the campus of UNLV, where they will play their only exhibition game on U.S. soil when they face Canada on July 25. They leave the next day for Asia, with exhibition games planned for Macao and Shanghai before they arrive in Beijing.

The Americans also have another injury to be concerned with -- Kobe Bryant's pinkie finger, which has a turn ligament and an avulsion fracture. He plans to have it surgically repaired after the team returns from China and said he does not expect it to keep him out of Lakers' training camp in October.

"It changes my release. Because it's taped, the way I release the ball is different -- it's choppier," Bryant said. "It hasn't gotten better, it stays the same. I don't feel pain or nothing like that, but if you hit it or jam it, it goes dead for a couple minutes."

Plans for an additional practice Sunday have been scrapped, and the team will instead fly to New York for a promotional tour and to unveil their uniforms. They will then have three weeks to rest before reporting back to Las Vegas for training camp. If any U.S. players are injured prior to the Olympics, they can be replaced on the roster up until Aug. 9 -- but only if the injury is verified by authorities from the International Olympic Committee and the USOC.

I still don't like carrying only one center. If Howard goes down, team USA becomes very weak in the middle.

Scarface
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM

I've never been a big fan of Melo's game. I don't care how many PPG he scored for Team USA in the past. He's just not a team first type player.

Broncospsycho77
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Based on some of the interviews that were on TV last night, this team looks determined. No golds in over 5 years... that's a big deal to the best basketball nation in the world. Hopefully we'll have the mindset; that's what we've been missing since the Jordan era. And though the international play no longer suits the American style of basketball, with huge guys in the post and cut-and-slash guards, Coach K is the right guy to lead this team.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
If we don't get Gold, there is somethin' wrong in Denmark.

BOSSHOGG30
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Team USA is going down!

Rodney Stuckey, Al Jefferson and Kevin Martin are among the young NBA stars expected to scrimmage against Team USA before the Olympics.

Others expected to participate include Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Al Horford and Jeff Green. Just like the team going to the Olympics, the scrimmage team is also short on big men.
Source: Detroit Free Press

Andre will show team USA why he should of been invited to the Olympic games!

BroncoAV06
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Chandler will be the first reserve for the games, good move.

Ziggy
06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Chandler will be the first reserve for the games, good move.

Glad to hear that they are at least thinking about the lack of depth at C. Agreed, good move.

BroncoAV06
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Team USA's roster for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

(Sources: usabasketball.com, ESPN.com)

Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets

Position: Forward
Birth Date: 05/29/84
Height: 6-8
Weight: 230

2007-08: 25.7 ppg, 7.4 rpg
Honors: 2-time All-Star
NBA seasons: 5
Team USA: 2004, 2006-08

Named to 2006-08 U.S. senior team program on March 5, 2006.

2008: Since the NBA season ended, he has had a DWI arrest and has heard his name come up in trade rumors. Where will his head be during the Olympic Games?

2007: Started and played in nine of the USA's 10 FIBA Americas Championship games, averaging a team-best 21.2 ppg and 5.2 rpg while shooting 61.3 percent (65-106) from the field. Shot 57.8 percent (26-45) from 3-point range.

2006: As tri-captain of the World Championship team, he led the U.S. to a bronze medal, averaging a team-high 19.9 ppg. Was later named USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year.

2004: Member of the U.S. squad that won the bronze medal at the Olympics in Athens, where he averaged 2.4 ppg and 1.6 rpg.

Carlos Boozer, Utah Jazz

Birth Date: 11/20/81
Height: 6-9
Weight: 258

2007-08: 21.1 ppg, 10.4 apg
Team USA: 2004, 2007-08

Added to U.S. senior team program on May 23, 2007.

2008: The only guy on the team, aside from Jason Kidd, who didn't play in the World Championship in Japan in 2006 or the Tournament of the Americas in 2007.

2004: Member of the U.S. Olympic squad which won the bronze medal in Athens; he averaged 7.6 ppg and 6.1 rpg.

Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors

Birth Date: 03/24/84
Height: 6-10
Weight: 230

2007-08: 22.3 ppg, 8.7 apg
Honors: 3-time All-Star
Team USA: 2006-08

2008: Wasn't happy with his lack of playing time in Japan. Will be relied upon more this time, however, since he's the backup center (and perhaps a better clutch-time option) behind Howard.

2007: Scored 13 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in 22 minutes of action for Team White in a 105-104 intrasquad loss to Team Blue on July 22 in Las Vegas.

Withdrew from training camp due to a foot injury.

2006: Member of the World Championship team that won bronze in Japan. He averaged 6.8 points and 4.0 rebounds, while shooting a team-high 65.4 percent from the field.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

Position: Guard
Birth Date: 08/23/78
Height: 6-6
Weight: 220

2007-08: 28.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg
Honors: 10-time All-Star
NBA seasons: 12

2008: Thankfully, he doesn't have an open trade request hanging over him as he did last summer. Will he stick to his role as defensive stopper, or will he try to win the gold all by himself if things get tight? That's a key question.

2007: Started in all 10 of the USA's FIBA Americas Championship games. Averaged 15.3 points and a team-leading 1.6 steals per game. Averaged 19.9 minutes a game, while shooting 54.8 percent (51-93) from the field overall, 45.9 percent (17-37) from 3-point, and 87.2 percent (34-39) from the foul line.

2006: Unable to participate due to offseason surgery on his right knee.

Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic

Position: Center
Birth Date: 12/08/85
Height: 6-11
Weight: 265

2007-08: 20.7 ppg, 14.2 rpg
NBA seasons: 4

2008: Will he get into foul trouble? Will be become the target of a Hack-A-Dwight strategy if he's on the floor late in a tight game? Will Coach K run more than 10 low-post offensive plays for him the entire Olympics? All major questions.

2007: Started in nine games and played in all 10 of the USA's FIBA Americas Championship games, averaging 10 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. Shot a team-best 81.4 percent (35-43) from the field.
In the gold-medal game against Argentina he recorded 20 points on 7-for-7 shooting from the field and 6-for-8 shooting from the foul line, also added five rebounds and four blocked shots in 18 minutes of action.

2006: Member of the World Championship team that won bronze in Japan. He averaged 7.3 points and 4.7 rebounds, while leading the team in blocked shots with 1.3 per game.

LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers

Birth Date: 12/30/84
Height: 6-8
Weight: 250

2007-08: 30.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg
Honors: 4-time All-Star

2008: If the goal is to become the best player in the world, a third bronze medal will not earn him that distinction. And if the U.S. fails to win, will he be on board for the 2012 Olympics in London?

2007: Started in all 10 of the USA's FIBA Americas Championship games, averaging 18.1 points and a team-leading 4.7 assists per game. Shot 76 percent (73-96) from the field overall, 62.2 percent (23-37) from 3-point range.

2006: Tri-captain of the World Championship team that won the bronze in Japan. He averaged 13.9 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.6 steals a game.

2004: Member of the U.S. Olympic squad in Athens that took home the bronze medal. He averaged 5.4 ppg.

Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks

Birth Date: 03/23/73
Height: 6-4
Weight: 210

2006-07: 10.8 ppg, 10.1 apg
Honors: 8-time All-Star
NBA seasons: 14
Team USA: 1999-2000, 2002-03, 2006-08

Added to senior team program on May 23, 2007.

2008: Told his teammates last year on the bus ride to the first practice: "I didn't re-up with my perfect record on the line to win anything other than gold." Is his game still crisp enough to keep his unbeaten record with the national team intact?

2007: A veteran of five USA Basketball teams, Kidd started in nine of the USA's 10 FIBA Americas Championship games, averaging 4.6 assists in 15.8 minutes per game.

2003: Helped lead the U.S. to the gold medal and a qualifying berth for the 2004 Olympics at the qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico. He averaged 3.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg and 5.0 apg as the team's starting point guard.

2002: Withdrew from World Championship training because of an injury.

2000: Tri-captain of the Olympic squad that won the gold medal, averaging 6.0 ppg and 5.3 rpg, along with team-highs of 4.4 apg and 1.1 spg.

Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets

Birth Date: 05/06/85
Height: 6-0
Weight: 175

2007-08: 21.1 ppg, 11.6 apg
Honors: 2006 Rookie of the Year
NBA seasons: 3

Named to the 2006-2008 senior team program on March 5, 2006.

2008: MVP runner-up will back up J-Kidd.

2007: Unable to participate due to left-foot surgery.

2006: Helped the U.S. to the bronze medal at the World Championship in Japan, where he averaged a team-leading 4.9 assists per game.

Tayshaun Prince, Detroit Pistons

Birth Date: 2/28/98
Height: 6-9
Weight: 215

2007-08: 13.2 ppg, 4.9 rpg
Honors: 4-time All-Defensive Second Team
NBA seasons: 6
Team USA: 2007-08

Added to the U.S. senior team program on May 23, 2007.

2008: He is on the team because of his versatility, especially on the defensive end. Still, barring a collapse by Dwyane Wade, he's more likely to be the 11th or 12th man than a key component.

2007: Player in nine of the USA's 10 FIBA Americas Championship games. Averaged 7.3 points and 5.1 rebounds in 17.8 minutes a game.

Michael Redd, Milwaukee Bucks

Birth Date: 8/24/79
Height: 6-6
Weight: 215

2007-08: 22.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Honors: 1-time All-Star
NBA seasons: 7

2008: Designated zone-buster, and possible sixth man if D-Wade struggles in that role. Represents exactly what the Americans were missing in '04 in Athens.

2006: Did not participate due to his getting married that summer.

Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat

Birth Date: 1/17/82
Height: 6-4
Weight: 216

2007-08: 24.6 ppg, 6.9 apg
Honors: 4-time All-Star, 2006 Finals MVP

2008: If he gets to the free-throw line and avoids turnovers, he's a key component. If he throws the ball all over the gym as he did last season in Miami, his only chance for redemption will come from the end of the bench. He's the only player who could realistically be either the sixth man or the 12th man.

2007: He attended the USA's 2007 training camp and the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship but was unable to participate in either after undergoing a pair of successful surgeries on May 15 to repair his dislocated left shoulder and his left patellar tendon.

2006: As team tri-captain, he helped lead the U.S. to a bronze medal at the World Championship. He was the team's second-leading scorer (19.3 ppg).

2004: Member of the U.S. Olympic team that won the bronze medal. He averaged 7.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg and 2.1 spg.

Deron Williams, Utah Jazz
Birth Date: 6/26/84
Height: 6-3
Weight: 205

2007-08: 18.8 ppg, 10.5 apg
Honors: 2006 All-Rookie First Team
NBA seasons:3

Added to the U.S. senior team program on May 23, 2007.

2008: There are no weaknesses to his game, but he's squeezed a bit on this roster. Can play either guard position, and could establish himself as a key rotation player.

2007: Played in all 10 of the USA's FIBA Americas Championship games, averaging 4.7 points and 4.6 assists per game.

Not sure weather to start an olympics thread by itself, so here is some stuff about there recent warm-up game against Turkey etc..

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USATurkey-080731