PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' top two picks next up for deals

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Broncos' top two picks next up for deals
Posted: 07/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, left, and coach Josh McDaniels chat during practice Wednesday. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )After missing the Broncos' initial rookie training camp session Wednesday, there's a chance first-round draft picks Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow will be signed in time for the 11 a.m. workout today. A look at the contract status of each player:

Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver, No. 22 overall:

Based on what Vikings wideout Percy Harvin received as the No. 22 pick in 2009, Thomas can expect to get a five-year contract worth about $13.3 million, with about $9.3 million guaranteed. The sides are close on a deal.

Tim Tebow, quarterback, No. 25 overall:

Based on contracts for Vontae Davis at No. 25 last year and Dez Bryant at No. 24 this year, Tebow can expect a five-year deal worth about $11.7 million ($8.1 million guaranteed).

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

i realize this is vague to say the least but it sounds like klis may know something we don't ?:confused::beer:

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Tebow's agent working with Broncos for contract
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 07/29/2010 07:58:26 AM MDT

Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton, who passed for 3,802 yards in 2009, looked like a happy camper Wednesday at Dove Valley. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Say it's just a whim, Tim.

It can't be so that the NFL's most marketable all-American boy is just another all-too-American, show-me-the-money athlete.

Tim Tebow is unofficially a contract holdout.

What's next, Wheaties becomes the Breakfast of Wall Street? The FDA bans hot dogs and apple pie? The Broncos put HealthOne sponsorship patches on their practice jerseys?

As a partial roster of Denver players put on their clean practice jerseys with the new Health-One patches for the start of rookie training camp Wednesday afternoon at the team's Dove Valley headquarters, Tebow's pristine image and unscrupulous reputation received its first minor smudge.

With his agent, Jimmy Sexton, quibbling with Broncos management over a couple of hundred thousand dollars here and there, Tebow was a no-show for the "soft opening" to Denver's training camp.

"We went through 60 pages this morning in an installation meeting, and those pages are filled with information," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "It's not that we aren't going to go back and review that. We will. I think that any opportunity to get in more, particularly a young player, whatever position it is; whether it is a quarterback or something else, I think it helps them."

Tebow was joined in his "unofficial" holdout by the Broncos' other first-round draft pick, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

OK, so enough with the mockery of a hardly controversial situation.

First-round holdouts in the early days of training camps have become as commonplace in the NFL as checkdown passes. By the time the Broncos finished their 75-minute practice session Wednesday, only two of 32 first-round draft picks had signed.

Officially, the Broncos don't start training camp until Sunday morning, when the full squad lines up for its first contact practice. No player becomes an official holdout until the church bells ring.

Until then, McDaniels has ordered his signed rookies, veterans coming off of offseason injuries and veteran quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn to participate in what amounts to camp rehearsal sessions Wednesday, today and Friday.

Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, fighting off July 13 neck surgery that fused four vertebrae together to repair a herniated disc, was far enough along in negotiations on five-year contracts for Thomas and Te-bow to present hope that each first-round pick will arrive at practice by week's end. Maybe even today.

If not, Orton and Quinn will have to run the rookie camp while the rookie Tebow sits out.

"I mean, what the heck?" Orton said, smiling.

To some, Orton's presence and Tebow's absence may seem more ironic

than amusing. Orton was hoping to get his a multiyear contract this offseason. Instead, he got Quinn and Tebow added to the roster. Classified as a restricted, rather than an unrestricted, free agent because of a labor dispute between team owners and the NFL Players Association, Orton settled for a one-year, $2.621 million salary that makes him one of the league's lowest-paid starting quarterbacks.

"We shot it around, and that's fine," Orton said of his own contract talks that went nowhere this offseason. "I'd love to have security. I'd love to have a deal. But I also know where we're at and I know I'm in camp right now. My side of talking about it is over with. My agent knows what I want. If we can get close, great. If not, I'm fine playing with what I'm making right now."

Tebow, who recently signed up to endorse Jockey products, and Thomas have a little more bargaining leverage. They are in town, but they will stay away from Broncos headquarters until their respective agents say they are satisfied with their new deals.

This is America, after all.