PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tim Tebow wants more than Dez Bryant

T.K.O.
07-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Report: Tim Tebow wants more than Dez Bryant
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2010 4:23 PM ET
The Dallas Cowboys selected Dez Bryant with the 24th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, and the Denver Broncos selected Tim Tebow 25th. Ordinarily, that would mean Tebow should get paid a little bit less than Bryant.

But Tebow apparently wants more money than Bryant, and that's why he wasn't there when the Broncos' rookies reported to training camp today.

Ed Werder of ESPN reported on NFL Live that the holdup on Tebow's contract is the request from agent Jimmy Sexton that a premium be paid to Tebow because he's a quarterback. Sexton wants Tebow to get a bigger signing bonus, higher base salaries and more money overall than Bryant is getting from the Cowboys.

Werder reported that Tebow and the Broncos are close to getting the deal done, but in the mean time, coach Josh McDaniels has called Tebow and expressed disappointment that Tebow didn't report with the rest of the rookies.

"You're missing time and you can't afford to miss it," McDaniels told Tebow, according to Werder. "You're not going to get these snaps back."

silkamilkamonico
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Be happy you got drafted in the first round, and sign the ******' contract rookie.

MadMax
07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if the real reason for this demand is Tebow or his agent wanting some compensation for all the jerseys he has been selling.

SR
07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
It's not Tebow, it's his agent. Before everyone starts badmouthing Tebow and calling him names/making accusations, realize the agent is negotiating the contract and he is out to make his client and himself as much money as possible.

T.K.O.
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
dude could make more money this year than bryant will get over the next 5,just by doing endorsements.
i think they are very close to a deal and his agent just wants to save face and show he can push a team a little.
tebow probably could'nt care less about a few hundred grand difference .
the big issue is any other qb with a heisman and 2 nat. championships (if not for the "mechanics" label)would have garnered 7 or 8X what tebow's getting. so his agent is holding out to get max for a 25th pick

Tned
07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
It's not Tebow, it's his agent. Before everyone starts badmouthing Tebow and calling him names/making accusations, realize the agent is negotiating the contract and he is out to make his client and himself as much money as possible.

I don't think Tebow should be bashed. It's a business for the players, just like it's a business for the NFL and teams. As with any deals, the parties have to come to agreement on a contract.

Having said that, I don't think we can say, it isn't Tebow, it's his agent. Tebow could say, "take the deal on the table" at any time, and the deal would be done.

BroncoWave
07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Misleading thread title much?

broncofaninfla
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
With all of the money in endorsments he stands to make I dont see the point in an excessive hold out just to get more than Dez. Tebow stands to make more than any rookie this year when you combine all of his cookies. I know Tebow wants to play and this is driven by his agent but the longer it drags out the less I'll respect team Tebow.

BroncoBJ
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Tim Tebow deserves more money then Bill Gates ever had. :elefant: But :lol: People act like hes a premaddonna now. It is a business but its mainly just the agent doing the talking. Hopefully he gets signed before tommorow morning. :salute:

Tned
07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Misleading thread title much?

Did I miss something? How so?

BroncoWave
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Did I miss something? How so?

I haven't seen anything saying Tebow wants more money than Dez. I've read that his agent is trying to get that but there is nothing saying that that is the reason there is a holdup in him getting signed.

FWIW though, it's not uncommon for a QB to make a little more than the guy picked right ahead of him.

Plus, until he actually misses a day of full team camp I'm not too worried.

Tned
07-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen anything saying Tebow wants more money than Dez. I've read that his agent is trying to get that but there is nothing saying that that is the reason there is a holdup in him getting signed.

FWIW though, it's not uncommon for a QB to make a little more than the guy picked right ahead of him.

Plus, until he actually misses a day of full team camp I'm not too worried.

Based on the report, the thread title was accurate. I you splitting hairs between the agent wanting more than Bryant and Tebow wanting more than Bryant? That's one and the same.

As I said in an earlier post, IMO, he shouldn't be criticized for it, but if the report is true, that's the hold up.

Jagsbch
07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Here is my take on the days event.

The franchise has the spot light on it right now, I think it is using it to its advantage by waiting till the actual start of training camp to sign Tebow.

Broncos Corporate Communication VP Jim Saccomano joined Elephants In The Room a local radio broadcast in Denver today.

He talked about how the team threw a luncheon for 70 members of the media whom where present in anticipation of Tebow signing today.

Jim also mentioned how this level of hype has not been seen at Mile High since John Elway was drafted and the first Super Bowl Win.

I am thinking the team wants to see the Lime light shine on Denver just a little more to get their moneys worth in Inking the rookie.

It is still early. NFL.com reported Thomas and Tebow won't be considered holdouts, however, unless they remain unsigned when the full squad reports for practice Sunday.

So until Sunday rolls around we can just relax and enjoy the media spectacle surrounding Tebow and the prestige that the media for the most part have given the Denver Broncos in their endeavor to sign the most decorated qb in college football history.

I think it is safe to say the Broncos know what they are doing. Tebow I am sure spent the day immersing himself in the playbook in-between his rigorous workouts. I am sure the 60 pages the coach went over pale in comparison to the amount of pages Tebow may have been soaking up while downloading McDaniels encyclopedia playbook.

Try not to get carried away with the spectacle of a PR machine in action. This is an event, and the team may wind up turning Tebows signing into a 2-3 day event, rest assured when it is all said and done Tebow will be in camp with the rest of the veterans when it actually starts in...

03 Days, 11 Hours, 42 Minutes, 38 Seconds.

oubronco
07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Why so much attention to the 3rd string QB i'm more anxious to get Thomas signed as he will be on the field playing

UnderArmour
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
NFL GMs around the league are screwing this one up big time. So far only 2 first round picks have signed and most teams are signing 2nd and 3rd round guys 2 or 3 days before camp opens. There is something big going on and the Broncos need to hurry and get their guys signed so that they don't get caught up in what looks to be at least 5 holdouts going deep into camp.

Northman
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Not entirely true SR. Although his agent is handling the business end of his contract it also means that Tebow puts his trust in his agent to get the best contract available which means if the agent isnt satisfied, neither is Tebow. If Tebow thought his agent was acting on his own accord Tim could simply dismiss the guy and go with someone else.

Lonestar
07-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I doubt that the TEAM is hyping this to get attention.

If they are then Josh certainly is not in charge.

Reading the playbook and being in a class room setting discussing it are two totally different issues.

I was told last year that playbooks were not allowed off the property and the plays being installed we're handed out daily.

Now maybe this has changed but I would doubt it.

He is missing class time as well as reptoire with the TEAM. Time to tell the agent get it don and into camp he works for you not the other way around.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

honz
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Meh, who cares. Lots of rookies still haven't signed. He will be there within the next day or two.

Tned
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I doubt that the TEAM is hyping this to get attention.

If they are then Josh certainly is not in charge.

Reading the playbook and being in a class room setting discussing it are two totally different issues.

I was told last year that playbooks were not allowed off the property and the plays being installed we're handed out daily.

Now maybe this has changed but I would doubt it.

He is missing class time as well as reptoire with the TEAM. Time to tell the agent get it don and into camp he works for you not the other way around.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I don't think there is any way to know that if this is being done for PR reasons that Josh isn't in charge. We just don't know enough about the internal workings at Dove valley or what the motivations are. I think you are one of the people that felt a major reason that Tebow was signed was for the publicity and sale of Jerseys and such.

Regardless, I agree with you that this isn't a PR stunt, but standard rookie negotiations.

As to the playbooks, what they said last year was not that they didn't allow playbooks off site, but instead the claim was that they didn't have playbooks. Instead, they handed out handouts during the OTA's and training camp as they installed new plays daily.

threefolddead
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
This just in! Only one first round pick is signed! And it was a miricale considering Dez Bryants agent is the same one that held Crabtree out forever last year. The skys not falling and Tebow is still an angel. Wew.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
This just in! Only one first round pick is signed! And it was a miricale considering Dez Bryants agent is the same one that held Crabtree out forever last year. The skys not falling and Tebow is still an angel. Wew.

3 have signed now. Devin McCourty singed in NE yesterday and Rolando McClain just signed in Oalkand.

nbenallo33
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
the title should read "Tebow's agent is gredy and wants more money"!

this is all about the agents not the players. Tebow flat out said he knows nothing about contracts thats why he has an agent

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 11:05 AM

BS! At the end of the day, it is Tebow's call!

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
BS! At the end of the day, it is Tebow's call!

You should read the post above yours. Players need agents for a reason. If Tebow really doesn't know anything about contracts, the Broncos could really give him a contract worse than he is capable of getting.

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm still confused as to why people think endorsement money has ANYTHING to do with player contracts, base salary, and signing bonuses? Just because you can make money holding up a Nike shoe, has NOTHING to do with what you get paid for your job.

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
You should read the post above yours. Players need agents for a reason. If Tebow really doesn't know anything about contracts, the Broncos could really give him a contract worse than he is capable of getting.

I read that quote. Perhaps, you should read mine again, ;)

Tebow is still in control of his own situation...agent or not.

At this point, by all accounts, they aren't far apart. In essence, they are pushing the envelope to see just how much more they can get, if anything. They are doing it at the possible detriment to Tebow.

Also, the theory that Tebow doesn't know contracts therefore he is clueless as to his own situation doesn't hold water. The fact is a lot of, probably the majority of rookie contracts, are close to standard! Even if they weren't, Tebow is being informed at every moment of any development. All it takes is him instructing his agent to finalize the deal.

Truthfully it is a little surprising to see him squabble for a little extra money NOW considering his promise to be in camp on time and after having watched him turn down endorsement deals.

GEM
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Either way you go about it, he's going to get a much higher contract than any NFL writer had him scoped to get, higher than most NFL scouts had him scoped to get and much higher than any other NFL team had him since most weren't looking for him to go until late 2nd to early 3rd. He was looking at Klaussen type money and jumped to first round money...and still wanting more. He has a voice and if he was as goody goody as we've been sold, he'd stop his agent from the talk and sign the contract.

This is just like Crabtree with his I was supposed to go here, so I want more money. I'm a QB, I should make more than a WR. Bullshit.

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM

this is all about the agents not the players. Tebow flat out said he knows nothing about contracts thats why he has an agent

You don't think the Agent reports back to the player and the player is completely ambiguous to the contract offers, what the agent is fighting for, the money involved, or the gains to be reached? Come one, let be real. Tebow is aware of whats on the table, whats being discussed/argued over, and how much money is involved. He was raised in a family that had money, and is probably getting sound financial advice from more people than just his agent.

Lets quit trying to make the players (All players) out to be the innocent lil victims and its purely the agents that are doing all this. The agents work for the players. Tebow has had enough experience being the media 'darling' to have a fix on people working for him. His father is sound in money/finances, and Tebow isn't left in the dark, sitting at home watching TV, with no ideas as to whats happening on/with his contract.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Either way you go about it, he's going to get a much higher contract than any NFL writer had him scoped to get, higher than most NFL scouts had him scoped to get and much higher than any other NFL team had him since most weren't looking for him to go until late 2nd to early 3rd. He was looking at Klaussen type money and jumped to first round money...and still wanting more. He has a voice and if he was as goody goody as we've been sold, he'd stop his agent from the talk and sign the contract.

Not a single bit of this matters one single bit. He was drafted where he was drafted and deserves fair compensation for it. What he was "supposed" to make before the draft matters not one bit.

This is just like Crabtree with his I was supposed to go here, so I want more money. I'm a QB, I should make more than a WR. Bullshit.

No, it's not bullshit. You should do some research on first round QB contracts. It's not uncommon at all for a QB to make more than the guy picked ahead of him.

And this isn't similar to Crabtree's situation at all, so I really don't see why you are mentioning it.

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
i have read that the contract talks are very close ( a few hundred grand) i'm sure they are just hammering out the particulars,such as injury clauses and playing time stuff....no big deal.
the point i attempted to make earlier is that i doubt tebow cares very much about the details of the financial aspect(meaning the reported few 100 grand ,not the whole value of the contract),but rightfully may want clauses that give him elevators in the event that he becomes the starter and plays well beyond expectations.otherwise we end up with another marshall or doom situation where a guy outplays his contract by a mile.
i realize a deal should be a deal....but it's a business;) and agents are paid well to protect their clients and get the best deal they can.

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Not entirely true SR. Although his agent is handling the business end of his contract it also means that Tebow puts his trust in his agent to get the best contract available which means if the agent isnt satisfied, neither is Tebow. If Tebow thought his agent was acting on his own accord Tim could simply dismiss the guy and go with someone else.

Agreed. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. In a situation like this, especially from Tebow, who's a class guy and turned down several million dollar contracts because "money wasn't as important as playing football", I would hope he would step in and say, "I don't need more money than a guy drafted in front of me".

Sign the ****** contract already rook.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
i have read that the contract talks are very close ( a few hundred grand) i'm sure they are just hammering out the particulars,such as injury clauses and playing time stuff....no big deal.
the point i attempted to make earlier is that i doubt tebow cares very much about the details of the financial aspect,but rightfully may want clauses that give him elevators in the event that he becomes the starter and plays well beyond expectations.otherwise we end up with another marshall or doom situation where a guy outplays his contract by a mile.
i realize a deal should be a deal....but it's a business;) and agents are paid well to protect their clients and get the best deal they can.

This is what people don't understand. So many are like "just sign your damn contract and play", but don't understand that there is so much more to a contract than just base salary. Contracts are way more complicated than that.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Sign the ****** contract already rook.

:lol: So easy to say when you don't know about all the complexities of an NFL contract. If it were as easy as "sign the contract already rook" then there would be more than 3 first rounders signed right now.

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 11:46 AM
:lol: So easy to say when you don't know about all the complexities of an NFL contract. If it were as easy as "sign the contract already rook" then there would be more than 3 first rounders signed right now.

What's so complicated about "wanting more money" than a guy drafted ahead of you?

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Not a single bit of this matters one single bit. He was drafted where he was drafted and deserves fair compensation for it. What he was "supposed" to make before the draft matters not one bit.

This is not directly at you, BTB.

Interesting.

When the Broncos collapsed last year all the McDaniels supporters pointed to and used the :"the projections said we wouldn't be good now anyway" as if that carried weight.

Now when it comes to Tebow those same silly projections are meaningless.

:lol:

Oh the dichotomy.

The reality is, if Tebow is looking for more than Dez, simply because he is a QB is asinine especially considering Tebow might not play this year and even if he does he probably wouldn't play as many snaps as Bryant. Furthermore, it sends a message that he thinks QB is more important than any other position on the team.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
What's so complicated about "wanting more money" than a guy drafted ahead of you?

The fact that you don't understand that there is much more to a contract than your base salary compared to the guys around you. Nothing in that report says that that is the sole reason for the holdup. It may be part of the reason but there are plenty of other things in contracts such as incentives, clauses and things like that. And for a unique player like Tebow, I would assume that incentives would be a potential snag given that it's pretty unknown how much and in what role he will play. If the 2 sides disagree on what his role and PT will be, it could be pretty hard to come to terms on incentives.

But go ahead and be ignorant and pretend that the entire holdup is because he wants more money than Dez.

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
The fact that you don't understand that there is much more to a contract than your base salary compared to the guys around you. Nothing in that report says that that is the sole reason for the holdup. It may be part of the reason but there are plenty of other things in contracts such as incentives, clauses and things like that. And for a unique player like Tebow, I would assume that incentives would be a potential snag given that it's pretty unknown how much and in what role he will play. If the 2 sides disagree on what his role and PT will be, it could be pretty hard to come to terms on incentives.

But go ahead and be ignorant and pretend that the entire holdup is because he wants more money than Dez.

How about the fact that you don't understand what "more" means. It's incredibly simple, actually. Also, did you have a thought on Tebow turning down millions because he wanted to focus on football, and then promising he would be there at rookie camp? Or would you like to continue to spin the phrase "more money" into not actually being "more", but just complex?

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah.. I agree that normally if a player hasn't signed.. I just wouldn't care because there are a lot of things to contracts. Some need hammering out if something in particular is important to a player, or to the team. Some people/teams have certain priorities that need negotiating.

In this case, its been reported that Tebow is holding out for more money than the player drafted ahead of him. Thats not the same thing as hammering out the small details.... perse.

QBs in general make more money than WRs. One slot difference, may not follow the same "slotting" as it would if it were two positions that would generally have the same pay-scale.

I see the Tebow side of this. We aren't talking about a HUGE delay, and I'm just not one that holds my breath for the 'rookie signings'...so maybe I just don't care as much. But this really just seems like a small deal to me. I didn't even want to draft Tebow to begin with, but I don't hold this against him.

I don't think a day, two days, three days, or a week..... is going to make the difference between him being ready, being an NFL QB, or not.

**QBs are more important positions to the team. Tebow doesn't have to think it, or say it. But the NFL makes rules that treat them differently, and the NFL pays them differently.**

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:56 AM
This is not directly at you, BTB.

Interesting.

When the Broncos collapsed last year all the McDaniels supporters pointed to and used the :"the projections said we wouldn't be good now anyway" as if that carried weight.

Now when it comes to Tebow those same silly projections are meaningless.

:lol:

Oh the dichotomy.

The reality is, if Tebow is looking for more than Dez, simply because he is a QB is asinine especially considering Tebow might not play this year and even if he does he probably wouldn't play as many snaps as Bryant. Furthermore, it sends a message that he thinks QB is more important than any other position on the team.

This post is so full of inaccuracies it's not even funny. First of all, comparing what we say about team expecations compared to this is flat out ridiculous. It's not even the same thing at all. When a coach leads a team to twice as many wins as were expected, that is to be commended.

I fail to see how that has anything to do with Tebow's draft position though. To argue he shouldn't try to get a good contract because he was picked way higher than projected is so unbelievably retarded it's not even funny.

As for saying he doesn't deserve more because he's a QB, that shows how uneducated you are about rookie contracts. It's not uncommon at ALL for QB's to get more money than a non-QB ahead of them.

For example, last year Josh Johnson got a bigger base salary that the 8 players ahead of him and a bigger signing bonus than the player picked ahead of him. This happens every year. To criticize Tebow because of your own lack of knowledge about how rookie contracts work is just ridiculous.

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 11:56 AM
5 minutes til day 2 of rook camp..........4.........3..........will tebow be there?
enquiring minds want to know:D

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
How about the fact that you don't understand what "more" means. It's incredibly simple, actually. Also, did you have a thought on Tebow turning down millions because he wanted to focus on football, and then promising he would be there at rookie camp? Or would you like to continue to spin the phrase "more money" into not actually being "more", but just complex?

Link to where he promised he would be at rookie camp please?

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
5 minutes til day 2 of rook camp..........4.........3..........will tebow be there?
enquiring minds want to know:D

I again know I"m holding my breath

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Link to where he promised he would be at rookie camp please?

I'll search for it....meanwhile, do yourself a favor and search for the definition of "more" and "money", and then add the two together.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Someone tell me if you see the pattern here:

9. Green Bay - DT, B.J. Raji, Boston College - Signed (5-years, $28.5M; $17.7M guaranteed)
10. San Francisco - WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech - Signed (6-years, $32M; $17M guaranteed)
11. Buffalo - DE, Aaron Maybin, Penn State - Signed (5-years, $24.6M: $14.24M guaranteed)
12. Denver - RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia - Signed (5-years, $23M max; $13.125M guaranteed)
13. Washington - DE, Brian Orakpo, Texas - Signed (5-years, $20M; $12.1M guaranteed)
14. New Orleans - CB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State - Signed (5-years, $19M; $11M guaranteed)
15. Houston - LB, Brian Cushing, USC - Signed (5-years, $18M; $10.435M guaranteed)
16. San Diego - LB, Larry English, Northern Illinois - Signed (5-years, $17.95M; $9.905M guaranteed)
17. Tampa Bay (fr. CLE/NYJ) - QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas State - Signed (5-years, $36M; $10.245M guaranteed)

1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed 5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)
2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Signed 6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)
3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed 6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)

9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)
11. Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo Signed 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6M guaranteed)
12. Ryan Clady OT Denver Signed 5 years, $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed)
13. Jonathan Stewart RB Carolina Signed 5 years, $20 million ($10.795M guaranteed)
14. Chris Williams OT Chicago Signed 5 years, $16 million ($10M guaranteed)
15. Branden Albert OG Kansas City Signed 5 years, $15.8 million ($9.2M guaranteed)
16. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Arizona Signed 5 years, $15.1 million ($9M guaranteed)
17. Gosder Cherilus OT Detroit Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.9M guaranteed)
18. Joe Flacco QB Baltimore Signed 5 years, $30 million ($8.75M guaranteed)

As you can see, QB's ALWAYS get more money than the guys picked ahead of them. To criticize Tebow for wanting what first round QBs ALWAYS get is just flat out ridiculous.

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I again know I"m holding my breath

http://thisisbandit.com/wp-content/uploads/george_bush_holding_breath.jpg

are'nt we all buddy.....are'nt we all?

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Someone tell me if you see the pattern here:

9. Green Bay - DT, B.J. Raji, Boston College - Signed (5-years, $28.5M; $17.7M guaranteed)
10. San Francisco - WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech - Signed (6-years, $32M; $17M guaranteed)
11. Buffalo - DE, Aaron Maybin, Penn State - Signed (5-years, $24.6M: $14.24M guaranteed)
12. Denver - RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia - Signed (5-years, $23M max; $13.125M guaranteed)
13. Washington - DE, Brian Orakpo, Texas - Signed (5-years, $20M; $12.1M guaranteed)
14. New Orleans - CB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State - Signed (5-years, $19M; $11M guaranteed)
15. Houston - LB, Brian Cushing, USC - Signed (5-years, $18M; $10.435M guaranteed)
16. San Diego - LB, Larry English, Northern Illinois - Signed (5-years, $17.95M; $9.905M guaranteed)
17. Tampa Bay (fr. CLE/NYJ) - QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas State - Signed (5-years, $36M; $10.245M guaranteed)

1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed 5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)
2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Signed 6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)
3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed 6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)

9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)
11. Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo Signed 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6M guaranteed)
12. Ryan Clady OT Denver Signed 5 years, $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed)
13. Jonathan Stewart RB Carolina Signed 5 years, $20 million ($10.795M guaranteed)
14. Chris Williams OT Chicago Signed 5 years, $16 million ($10M guaranteed)
15. Branden Albert OG Kansas City Signed 5 years, $15.8 million ($9.2M guaranteed)
16. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Arizona Signed 5 years, $15.1 million ($9M guaranteed)
17. Gosder Cherilus OT Detroit Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.9M guaranteed)
18. Joe Flacco QB Baltimore Signed 5 years, $30 million ($8.75M guaranteed)

As you can see, QB's ALWAYS get more money than the guys picked ahead of them. To criticize Tebow for wanting what first round QBs ALWAYS get is just flat out ridiculous.

So now you're saying he does in fact want more than Dez Bryant? That was quick...

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Shows where the guaranteed money is whats slotted in tune with the guy ahead of them...but the base salary is obviously the difference.

We don't know how much more guaranteed money Tebow is asking than Bryant, if any. That may be where the sticking point is, since its the guaranteed money that is usually slotted behind the person drafted ahead of you (although Freeman didn't).

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
So now you're saying he does in fact want more than Dez Bryant? That was quick...

I never argued that he didn't. Try to keep up please. I said that there is probably more to the holdup than simply money.

And if the only holdup is that the Broncos don't want to pay him more than Dez, then this is completely their fault it's not getting done. QB's always get more money and the Broncos know it.

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
This post is so full of inaccuracies it's not even funny. First of all, comparing what we say about team expecations compared to this is flat out ridiculous. It's not even the same thing at all. When a coach leads a team to twice as many wins as were expected, that is to be commended.

So preseason projections matter for the coach.
Preseason predraft positions DONT matter for a player.

Keep spinning. The fact is neither of them matter. What matters is what ACTUALLY happened. :lol:

I fail to see how that has anything to do with Tebow's draft position though. To argue he shouldn't try to get a good contract because he was picked way higher than projected is so unbelievably retarded it's not even funny.

Where did I say he shouldn't get what his slot deserves? :confused: The point of contention is the idea that he and his agent are angling for more than Bryant. MORE. Whats so friggin hard to understand about that?

Furthermore, as I and others have pointed out, this is all a bit surprising considering he turned down endorsement money which would be far more than the extra peanuts he is fighting for now. Then again there was the promise to be in camp on time. We all here how he is a man of his word...

As for saying he doesn't deserve more because he's a QB, that shows how uneducated you are about rookie contracts. It's not uncommon at ALL for QB's to get more money than a non-QB ahead of them.

As a person who is well versed in agency law and agency in general, I think it is safe to say I know plenty. I am not the one who tried pulling the Tebow is in the dark because he doesn't know contracts bull shit! Furthermore, I happen to know two of the very big NFL agents in this town and a couple of NHL ones as well. I have seen a basic rookie contract.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Shows where the guaranteed money is whats slotted in tune with the guy ahead of them...but the base salary is obviously the difference.

We don't know how much more guaranteed money Tebow is asking than Bryant, if any. That may be where the sticking point is, since its the guaranteed money that is usually slotted behind the person drafted ahead of you (although Freeman didn't).

Freeman and Ryan both got a bigger signing bonus than the guy ahead of them.

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
QB's always get more money and the Broncos know it.

Really? Always? :confused: Did Brady Quinn get more despite dropping? Did Rodgers? Did Leinart when he slipped?

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Freeman and Ryan both got a bigger signing bonus than the guy ahead of them.

Yeah, Ryan was a top 3 pick....

I still have a feeling it comes down to the guaranteed money. We aren't talking top 5, top 10, or even top 20 picks. So the guaranteed money SHOULD fall into slot. I don't know if this is the sticking point or not, but generally speaking, if a player is holding out for more money, its usually the guaranteed money.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Really? Always? :confused: Did Brady Quinn get more despite dropping? Did Rodgers? Did Leinart when he slipped?

I am having trouble finding the contract lists from 2007 and before. Still searching though.

claymore
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
I thought Tebow was above all this.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Still waiting on where Tebow PROMISED to be in for rookie camp. Probably because it's a lie and he never really said that. I'll be happy to see a link where I'm wrong though.

Nomad
07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I thought Tebow was above all this.

I could have sworn he said it was about the love of the game!! Maybe he wants to donate all his guaranteed money to his charities!! Or does he know this will be his only big payday in the NFL????:ponder:

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Posted July 28, 2010, 2:00 pm MT Contract talks ongoing between Broncos and Tebow, ThomasBy Mike Klis Comments (2)
Print
Share Topics
Brian Xanders, Demaryius Thomas, Jimmy Sexton, Percy Harvin, Tim Tebow, Todd France, Training Camp Tick … tick … tick.

The Broncos haven’t given up on getting deals done with first-round picks Tim Tebow and Demaryius Thomas before the team’s first rookie training camp workout that starts at 3 p.m. today, or about an half an hour from now.

Contract negotiations on a five-year deals are going on as you read. Tebow’s agent Jimmy Sexton, Thomas’ agent Todd France and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders are no doubt working on contracts for the two first-round picks.

For Tebow, the sides are likely working off the five-year, $10.25 million deal with a $7.345 million guarantee Miami cornerback Vontae Davis received as the No. 25 overall pick last year and the five-year, $11.8 million contract with an $8.3 million guarantee Dez Bryant received last week as this year’s No. 24 overall pick.

Put the numbers together and Tebow, the quarterback sensation who was the No. 25 overall pick this year, should have his contract come in at around $11.7 million, not including incentives, with a guarantee of about $8.1 million.

For Thomas, the benchmark is 2009’s No. 22 overall pick, Minnesota receiver Percy Harvin, who received a five-year, $14.28 million contract with $8.5 million guarantee. Thomas should expect a 10 percent increase from that, with a bonus that is at about $1 million greater than whatever Tebow receives.

Lonestar
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Still waiting on where Tebow PROMISED to be in for rookie camp. Probably because it's a lie and he never really said that. I'll be happy to see a link where I'm wrong though.

I had seen it also not sure of a link IIRC it was about teh same time he was declining endorsements saying all that was on his mind at that point was studying the play book and getting ready for TC. Maybe is was before the OTA's not sure.

But I saw him say endorsements can wait till later he would be at camp

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
I had seen it also not sure of a link IIRC it was about teh same time he was declining endorsements saying all that was on his mind at that point was studying the play book and getting ready for TC. Maybe is was before the OTA's not sure.

But I saw him say endorsements can wait till later he would be at camp

I think he said he would try his best to be in camp but I'm pretty sure he never explicitly promised that he would be there on time for ROOKIE camp at least. Remember there are still 2 days until actual camp.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I could have sworn he said it was about the love of the game!! Maybe he wants to donate all his guaranteed money to his charities!! Or does he know this will be his only big payday in the NFL????:ponder:

1.) Agents aren't in the habit of underselling their players. It's very bad for future business.

2.) The NFLPA frowns upon players that clearly take less money than they could have gotten, because that can impact salaries elsewhere. This is especially true in the case of draftees.

3.) "Love of the game" doesn't mean that you just cave in on salary.

4.) I'm reasonably sure that if you could get an extra, say, $300,000 on your next contract by holding out for a few days before signing, you'd hold off on putting pen to paper.

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Updated: July 28, 2010, 4:30 PM ETSources: Tebow, Broncos negotiatingEmail Print Comments88 By Ed Werder
ESPN
Archive
The Denver Broncos and representatives for quarterback Tim Tebow are working "feverishly" to complete contract negotiations, according to sources close to the discussions.

According to one source, progress has been made and the deal should happen in the next 24 to 48 hours.

AFC West blog
ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels called Tebow when the quarterback failed to sign in time for the official beginning of training camp, which began with a meeting Wednesday morning.

The full team doesn't take the field until Sunday but quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn are participating. McDaniels reminded Tebow that he is losing repetitions that he can never regain and needs them more than the veteran players against whom he will be competing.

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, who has signed and is in camp, was picked immediately before Tebow. While that has helped create contract parameters, Tebow's agent, Jimmy Sexton, is believed to be seeking the customary quarterback premium that would pay his client more than a player taken before him.

Tebow was the second quarterback drafted and is apparently seeking more guaranteed money in a signing bonus.

weazel
07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Report: Tim Tebow wants more than Dez Bryant
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2010 4:23 PM ET
The Dallas Cowboys selected Dez Bryant with the 24th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, and the Denver Broncos selected Tim Tebow 25th. Ordinarily, that would mean Tebow should get paid a little bit less than Bryant.

But Tebow apparently wants more money than Bryant, and that's why he wasn't there when the Broncos' rookies reported to training camp today.

Ed Werder of ESPN reported on NFL Live that the holdup on Tebow's contract is the request from agent Jimmy Sexton that a premium be paid to Tebow because he's a quarterback. Sexton wants Tebow to get a bigger signing bonus, higher base salaries and more money overall than Bryant is getting from the Cowboys.

Werder reported that Tebow and the Broncos are close to getting the deal done, but in the mean time, coach Josh McDaniels has called Tebow and expressed disappointment that Tebow didn't report with the rest of the rookies.

"You're missing time and you can't afford to miss it," McDaniels told Tebow, according to Werder. "You're not going to get these snaps back."

cut him :elefant:

Tned
07-29-2010, 12:26 PM

If Tebow wanted to be in camp and didn't want to squeeze every dollar out of the Broncos (which I think he has the right to do), then he could tell the agent, "take what's on the table, I'm ok with $12 million vs. $13 million" or whatever the difference is between the Broncos and Tebow's camp.

I just don't get the logic being used by those saying "it's the agent, not Tebow".

Nomad
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
1.) Agents aren't in the habit of underselling their players. It's very bad for future business.

2.) The NFLPA frowns upon players that clearly take less money than they could have gotten, because that can impact salaries elsewhere. This is especially true in the case of draftees.

3.) "Love of the game" doesn't mean that you just cave in on salary.

4.) I'm reasonably sure that if you could get an extra, say, $300,000 on your next contract by holding out for a few days before signing, you'd hold off on putting pen to paper.

It's all true of what you say, so now Tebow needs to quit the 'alter' boy imagine and reveal he is human and money controls everything. If Tebow was as genuine as he makes himself out to be he could control his agent and give two shits what the NFLPA thinks.

Lonestar
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I think he said he would try his best to be in camp but I'm pretty sure he never explicitly promised that he would be there on time for ROOKIE camp at least. Remember there are still 2 days until actual camp.

I read it as I'm going to be there because I love football and will do what it takes to become a NFL QB.

I did not see a distinction between TC and Rookie TC.

I suspect he did not think of it in that manner either.

GEM
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM

No, it's not bullshit. You should do some research on first round QB contracts. It's not uncommon at all for a QB to make more than the guy picked ahead of him.

And this isn't similar to Crabtree's situation at all, so I really don't see why you are mentioning it.

He was drafted behind Dez Bryant. He gets less. :shrugs:

Crabtree felt he should get higher because his draft projection is higher. Tebow feels he should get higher because he's a QB....a QB that is projected as being 2-3 years away from starting. Why should the Broncos front load a contract for a guy who could ride the pine for 2 years? Why should they go above and beyond what his actual draft spot allots him?

When the kid says....I don't care about all that, I just want to be in camp on time and play football. Actions are louder than words and his actions are showing that it's the opposite of the words that came out of his mouth. He has the ability to say...hey, I just signed a shitload worth of endorsements, the Broncos took a high risk chance on drafting me much higher than I should have gone, I'll be making more money than I expected and I want to play football. Mr. Agent please **** and sign me the deal so I can get into camp and get started with my career.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
He was drafted behind Dez Bryant. He gets less. :shrugs:

Crabtree felt he should get higher because his draft projection is higher. Tebow feels he should get higher because he's a QB....a QB that is projected as being 2-3 years away from starting. Why should the Broncos front load a contract for a guy who could ride the pine for 2 years? Why should they go above and beyond what his actual draft spot allots him?

Please reference post #44 to see why you are wrong.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
It's all true of what you say, so now Tebow needs to quit the 'alter' boy imagine and reveal he is human and money controls everything. If Tebow was as genuine as he makes himself out to be he could control his agent and give two shits what the NFLPA thinks.

Despite your apparent bigotry about his image, the reality is that his "image" and his contract are separate entities.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Despite your apparent bigotry about his image, the reality is that his "image" and his contract are separate entities.

Agreed. To say he should just take less money because of his "image" could not be more ridiculous. To be honest, I think some people are glad this is happening because they have just been waiting for the chance to pounce on something that he did that went against his "image".

Tned
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM

I am not in the camp bashing Tebow for not signing a contract yet, but I also don't see how people say it's just the agent. Tebow has every right to negotiate as hard as he can for his first, and potentially, only contract in the NFL. However, the final decision as to whether to agree to what the Broncos have on the table or play hardball, is Tebow's and only Tebow's.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I am not in the camp bashing Tebow for not signing a contract yet, but I also don't see how people say it's just the agent. Tebow has every right to negotiate as hard as he can for his first, and potentially, only contract in the NFL. However, the final decision as to whether to agree to what the Broncos have on the table or play hardball, is Tebow's and only Tebow's.

There is some truth in what you say, but the players usually aren't in negotiating the deal, so your argument is (unintentionally) misleading. The players do give the final "OK", but that's based upon what the agent is telling them. Ben Watson situations are extremely rare in the NFL, and for good reason.

Tned
07-29-2010, 12:53 PM
There is some truth in what you say, but the players usually aren't in negotiating the deal, so your argument is (unintentionally) misleading. The players do give the final "OK", but that's based upon what the agent is telling them. Ben Watson situations are extremely rare in the NFL, and for good reason.

Again, I believe Tebow has a 'right' and 'should' attempt to get the biggest contract that he can. However, I think those in the "it's all the agent" camp are playing fast and loose with the facts in an attempt to shield Tebow from any criticism.

To be clear, I don't think Tebow deserves criticism, but the fact is that we ALL know that Tebow will ultimately call the shot on whether to accept or reject a contract offer on the table. He will do so in large part based on the advice of his agent/attorney, but the agent doesn't call the shots, the player does.

GEM
07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Please reference post #44 to see why you are wrong.

:lol: You are going to put Tebow in the same ranks as Ryan and Flacco? :lol:

He was drafted later than all 3 that you listed. There is a huge difference in pay from pick #3, pick # 17 & pick #18. Just based on that he's going to get a lot less. 2 of the 3 are starters from the day they walked into camp. 1 is now starting a year in.

Your opinion is that I'm wrong. Until Tebow proves you right, it's just an opinion, just like mine is just an opinion. So settle it down there big shifter. ;)

GEM
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Agreed. To say he should just take less money because of his "image" could not be more ridiculous. To be honest, I think some people are glad this is happening because they have just been waiting for the chance to pounce on something that he did that went against his "image".

Maybe some have been waiting for something to happen, who knows. I know for me, I like the kid, I hope he succeeds because if he succeeds here, it means success for my team. I am not a part of a brigade of haters of Tebow. I think he should take the money on the table because of where he was drafted and the fact that he is not going to step in day one and play QB.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
:lol: You are going to put Tebow in the same ranks as Ryan and Flacco? :lol:

He was drafted later than all 3 that you listed. There is a huge difference in pay from pick #3, pick # 17 & pick #18. Just based on that he's going to get a lot less. 2 of the 3 are starters from the day they walked into camp. 1 is now starting a year in.

Your opinion is that I'm wrong. Until Tebow proves you right, it's just an opinion, just like mine is just an opinion. So settle it down there big shifter. ;)

This has nothing to do with how good Tebow is or how good I think he will be compared to other first round QB's.

The fact is, QB's picked in the first round always get a higher base salary than the guys ahead of them and usually get a bigger signing bonus too.

Josh Freeman wasn't the starter going into camp, he was thought of as just as big a project as Tebow actually and he was also drafted much higher than projected, so he is a perfect case to compare to Tebow. If you will notice, he got more money than the guy ahead of him. Kinda blows your theory.

GEM
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
This has nothing to do with how good Tebow is or how good I think he will be compared to other first round QB's.

The fact is, QB's picked in the first round always get a higher base salary than the guys ahead of them and usually get a bigger signing bonus too.

Josh Freeman wasn't the starter going into camp, he was thought of as just as big a project as Tebow actually and he was also drafted much higher than projected, so he is a perfect case to compare to Tebow. If you will notice, he got more money than the guy ahead of him. Kinda blows your theory.

Should get and what the Broncos are offering are 2 different things.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe some have been waiting for something to happen, who knows. I know for me, I like the kid, I hope he succeeds because if he succeeds here, it means success for my team. I am not a part of a brigade of haters of Tebow. I think he should take the money on the table because of where he was drafted and the fact that he is not going to step in day one and play QB.

When this is potentially his only contract in the NFL, he has a right to try to get as much money as he can. If you were negotiating a new contract for your job and thought they weren't giving you a fair contract, would you just suck it up and take it anyway for the good of the company? I think not.

GEM
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
When this is potentially his only contract in the NFL, he has a right to try to get as much money as he can. If you were negotiating a new contract for your job and thought they weren't giving you a fair contract, would you just suck it up and take it anyway for the good of the company? I think not.

If it's pennies on the dollar that I'm bitching about...yea I would. If the company took a chance on me that others did not, yea I would. I'm not money centric and I'm not in the greed boat. If it's fair market value and they aren't trying to completely stick it to me, I'm going to give a little bit.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Should get and what the Broncos are offering are 2 different things.

Which is why there is a delay. If the delay really is only because the Broncos don't want to pay him more than Dez, I have no problem with him trying to get more. QB's get more money, that's just how it is. It was like that long before Tebow and will be like that long after he is gone.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
If it's pennies on the dollar that I'm bitching about...yea I would. If the company took a chance on me that others did not, yea I would. I'm not money centric and I'm not in the greed boat. If it's fair market value and they aren't trying to completely stick it to me, I'm going to give a little bit.

Easy to say when you don't know all the details of Tebow's negotiations and when you haven't actually been faced with what he is facing.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Again, I believe Tebow has a 'right' and 'should' attempt to get the biggest contract that he can. However, I think those in the "it's all the agent" camp are playing fast and loose with the facts in an attempt to shield Tebow from any criticism.

To be clear, I don't think Tebow deserves criticism, but the fact is that we ALL know that Tebow will ultimately call the shot on whether to accept or reject a contract offer on the table. He will do so in large part based on the advice of his agent/attorney, but the agent doesn't call the shots, the player does.

But it is ALMOST all the agent. That's what your posts seem to be ignoring, even if you don't intend them to come across that way. Yes, a player can go against his agent. No, it doesn't happen often, at all. Yes, there's a damned good reason why it doesn't often happen. There's a reason the agents get their percentage, and it's not because the players think it's smart to ignore their advice.

GEM
07-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Which is why there is a delay. If the delay really is only because the Broncos don't want to pay him more than Dez, I have no problem with him trying to get more. QB's get more money, that's just how it is. It was like that long before Tebow and will be like that long after he is gone.

I never said it was Tebow exclusive. Tebow's the one I care about because he's on my team. I want him in camp. I want this stupid fighting over a few bucks done so that he can get in there and get on his way to taking Orton's job. If they aren't that far apart, like all the reports have said, give a little bit just to get the deal done. That is all I am saying.

Ravage!!!
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
But it is ALMOST all the agent. That's what your posts seem to be ignoring, even if you don't intend them to come across that way. Yes, a player can go against his agent. No, it doesn't happen often, at all. Yes, there's a damned good reason why it doesn't often happen. There's a reason the agents get their percentage, and it's not because the players think it's smart to ignore their advice.

You don't know this. This is guess work on your part.

The agent is selling the player on what THEY think they can get, and do, for the player. The player is listening to his employee, and then making a decision on whether or not to buy into what he is saying and go with him on it, or... to say "hold on, lets not push so much on that and lets give in on this... I'm happy with this." They can, and do, this. We see players fire their agents all the time.

The agent isn't just purely doing the negotiations without reporting into the player. The player isn't simply going to have a "I have no idea whats going on" with the negotiations. Hell, the Broncos wouldn't even allow that to happen. They aren't going to accept a "deal" unless they know the client (Tebow in this case) is on board.

So lets not fall into this, "The agent is the one, and not the player, that is always the problem." Thats junk. The agent is absolutely doing his best to get the most, and the player is doing his best to get the most. THe player is letting the agent do what he does best in getting what the Player wants. But the player absolutely can/has/will/should step in at any time, and say "this isn't missing time over".. or "I'm good with what they are offering." This happens ALL the time. Guys like Tebow aren't dumb. They've been around business a while now.

Mike
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Granted I don't know anything about anything....but I believe that agents can cloud a player's sense of value so-to-speak. While the player ultimately is responsible for the decision, I think what the agent tells the player plays a good-sized role in the decision.

I really don't care about the situation one way or the other. A deal will get done and I bet it gets done before Sunday. I especially think his negotiation has absolutely no reflection on his character or beliefs. The guy is trying to get the best deal he can. The sport takes it out on him, he should get what he can. Especially considering it could be the only contract he ever gets. You never know.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
You don't know this. This is guess work on your part.

Actually, I do know this. I could explain this to you in greater detail, but it would be a waste of time.

Tned
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Your taking it as an either or, which it isn't. Just like any other negotiation such as merger and acquisition, endorsement deal, lawsuit settlement, etc. The lawyer/agent is going to negotiate with the other party and periodically give his client the current deal along with what he thinks he can get. Then, it is the clients decision to say, "we're close enough" or "let's hold out, and try and hit your number".

You present it as if the agent is doing all of this on his own and at some point with simply call Tebow and say, "it's done, come sign the papers."

Tned
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Granted I don't know anything about anything....but I believe that agents can cloud a player's sense of value so-to-speak. While the player ultimately is responsible for the decision, I think what the agent tells the player plays a good-sized role in the decision.

I really don't care about the situation one way or the other. A deal will get done and I bet it gets done before Sunday. I especially think his negotiation has absolutely no reflection on his character or beliefs. The guy is trying to get the best deal he can. The sport takes it out on him, he should get what he can. Especially considering it could be the only contract he ever gets. You never know.

I agree with your second paragraph 110% (assuming that's possible), and mostly with your fist one. No doubt the agent is trying to convince the player to hold out for as much as possible, because it both earns the player more money and also potentially earns him future clients. However, it is still the client's (player) call and ultimately the player's decision to sign or hold out of camp.

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Your taking it as an either or, which it isn't. Just like any other negotiation such as merger and acquisition, endorsement deal, lawsuit settlement, etc. The lawyer/agent is going to negotiate with the other party and periodically give his client the current deal along with what he thinks he can get. Then, it is the clients decision to say, "we're close enough" or "let's hold out, and try and hit your number".

You present it as if the agent is doing all of this on his own and at some point with simply call Tebow and say, "it's done, come sign the papers."

I'm not taking it as an "either or" at all. I'm taking it as one who knows how these things work, having been involved with such situations in the past. Your position has been misleading, largely because you have the basics correct but fail to follow it through properly. I've assumed that was unintentional, and I continue to believe that.

Tned
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm not taking it as an "either or" at all. I'm taking it as one who knows how these things work, having been involved with such situations in the past. Your position has been misleading, largely because you have the basics correct but fail to follow it through properly. I've assumed that was unintentional, and I continue to believe that.

Wll just agree to disagree in terms of what role the client plays in deciding when to take a deal on the table. As we aren't in the room with Tebow and his agent, it is nearly 100% sepeculation anyway.

GEM
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Actually, I do know this. I could explain this to you in greater detail, but it would be a waste of time.

I don't mean to jump in...but that really is the worst line people use in debate.

I could, but: waste of time
over your head
etc...

If you are going to say you do, then waste your time and explain.

Northman
07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
This is hilarious. When Doom was negotiating his new contract he took a lot of heat for it and not his agent. Now, because its Tebow some are automatically assuming that the agent is being malicious in his contract negotiating. For the last few months all i have heard is how smart Tebow is and how he is surrounded by great people who know what they are doing but now that he is holding out its all on the agent? Please. lmao

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't mean to jump in...but that really is the worst line people use in debate.

I could, but: waste of time
over your head
etc...

If you are going to say you do, then waste your time and explain.

As I noted in a follow up to Tned, I've been involved in these situations. I know how they work from personal experience. You'll notice that my telling Tned of my involvement in such situations didn't make a difference in Tned's position.....

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 02:26 PM
This is hilarious. When Doom was negotiating his new contract he took a lot of heat for it and not his agent. Now, because its Tebow some are automatically assuming that the agent is being malicious in his contract negotiating. For the last few months all i have heard is how smart Tebow is and how he is surrounded by great people who know what they are doing but now that he is holding out its all on the agent? Please. lmao

I've not seen any such posts, and must have missed them. Could you please refer me to some?

GEM
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
As I noted in a follow up to Tned, I've been involved in these situations. I know how they work from personal experience. You'll notice that my telling Tned of my involvement in such situations didn't make a difference in Tned's position.....

So you have been an agent or a player?

Northman
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I've not seen any such posts, and must have missed them. Could you please refer me to some?

Post #84

.but I believe that agents can cloud a player's sense of value so-to-speak.

topscribe
07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
You know, it seems all eyes are on Tebow, but Thomas is the one I'm more
concerned about at this point. Thomas is the one the Broncos need this year . . .

-----

Mike
07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Post #84

I'm sorry, did I say anything about Doom when his salary was being negotiated? :confused:

GEM
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
You know, it seems all eyes are on Tebow, but Thomas is the one I'm more
concerned about at this point. Thomas is the one the Broncos need this year . . .

-----

And sadly, he hasn't even been mentioned. :(

Tempus Fugit
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
So you have been an agent or a player?

Check your PMs....

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
And sadly, he hasn't even been mentioned. :(

i posted a couple articles that said,the broncos were working on both deals and both were moving along well,as far as i can tell,both should be done deals by friday/sat of coarse this is speculation on my part but people closer to the org seem to think neither are very far apart on contracts:elefant:

T.K.O.
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Tebow, the 25th overall pick in the draft after winning two BCS national titles and the Heisman Trophy at Florida, said last month that he didn't want to miss a single practice. But he can't show up without his signature on a contract.

So, Tebow stayed away from camp while his agent, Jimmy Sexton, and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders continued exchanging numbers. A source told NFL Network's Scott Hanson that an agreement between the sides is "close," but that didn't prevent Tebow from missing Thursday morning's workout, too.
When the deal is finalized, Tebow is expected to receive about $12 million over five years.

Also missing Wednesday's workout was unsigned Demaryius Thomas, a Georgia Tech wide receiver selected 22nd overall. He and Tebow won't be considered holdouts unless they still aren't signed when the full squad reports for practice Sunday.

Quinn laughed when told of Orton's designs to put Tebow to work carrying his shoulder pads.

"I don't know if I'm going to be pulling any rookie pranks like that," Quinn said. "But it would be nice to get some coffee in the morning or something like that."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he wasn't worried that Tebow's absence would turn into a protracted holdout but noted that the rookie already has fallen behind the others.

"We went through 60 pages this morning in an installation meeting. Those pages are filled with information," McDaniels said. "It's not that we're not going to go back and review that, we will."

It's just that Tebow will have to do some playbook cramming to do along with his regular workload.

Although the quarterbacks are sure to garner most of the attention at camp over the next six weeks, the more intriguing competition probably will come at the other end of all those passes.

Veteran wide receivers Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal figure to have more opportunities with two-time Pro Bowl pick Brandon Marshall in Miami now, but 12-year veteran Brandon Stokley could find himself in a tough fight with Brandon Lloyd, Kenny McKinley and Matt Willis for a roster spot.

The Broncos needed big, athletic wide receivers after trading Marshall to the Dolphins and they took two in the draft: Thomas is 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds. Eric Decker is 6-3 and 218 pounds.

Decker's collegiate career at Minnesota was cut short last fall because of a ligament sprain in his left foot, and his workout Wednesday was his first with the Broncos.

"He looked good out there," Quinn said. "He's a big kid. He looks big out of pads, but looks even bigger in pads."

Decker signed a four-year contract worth more than $2.5 million Tuesday, fulfilling his goal of getting into camp on time. He said both Thomas and Tebow were bummed they weren't able to do the same.
"It's tough for both because they're competitors and they want to be here with their teammates," Decker said. "They'll be out here soon."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm still waiting for the quote from Tebow in which he PROMISED to be in rookie camp on time, or even full camp. I have googled and cannot find it.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 05:33 PM
This turned out to be much ado about nothing. He got the contract he wanted and deserved (with more money than Dez) and didn't miss any full TC time to get it done. Good for you Tim, glad to have you on board!

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 05:39 PM

Its the rule of thumb around here! :lol:

The preseason predictions going into last year mattered (because they made McDaniels look good going 8-8 when most had us pegged at 6)

The pre draft projections of Tebow doesn't matter! What matters is where he was drafted.

Cutler's agent was the devil because: look what else he has done

Now Tebow is just an innocent bystander his agent is just "doing his job"

The hypocrisy and double standard will always exist.

jhildebrand
07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
This turned out to be much ado about nothing. He got the contract he wanted and deserved (with more money than Dez) and didn't miss any full TC time to get it done. Good for you Tim, glad to have you on board!

Deserved how? :confused:

He hasn't taken a damn snap in the NFL.

BroncoWave
07-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Deserved how? :confused:

He hasn't taken a damn snap in the NFL.

I meant deserved as a relative term, as in compared to how previous first round QBs have been paid.

I agree that rookies make WAY too much and there should be a payscale but given how the system currently is, he deserves the contract he got.

Krugan
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Rookie Salary Caps!

jhildebrand
07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Im surprised this thread is still going. He signed his deal. Its done. He's a Bronco. Let's get on with it folks!