PDA

View Full Version : Cutler way ahead of Young and Leinart ....

omac
06-22-2008, 05:40 AM
This blog article at aol fanhouse isn't really about Cutler or the Broncos, but it's an objective assesment not from a die-hard Bronco fan, and it starts off like this ....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/20/the-cardinals-should-go-ahead-and-name-kurt-warner-the-starter/

As we get some distance from the 2006 draft, it seems like the best quarterback among those selected in the first round was the one taken last. The Broncos traded up to grab Jay Cutler with the 11th-overall selection, and through two seasons, he's progressed more than Vince Young (No. 3) and Matt Leinart (No. 10) combined.

It's nice to see even non-Bronco fanatics admit that Cutler has so far been the best QB drafted that season. :cheers:

NameUsedBefore
06-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm willing to bet even Cardinals and Titans fans know this. Jay Cutler simply looks like he's got it in comparison to those two.

Devilspawn
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM
And Young and Leinart got all the press before the draft because of the Rose Bowl. Vince Young is probably o a perfect team, hard defense workhorse that scraps for wins. Leinart needs an offensive line to see if he can make use of that duo he has. And only time will tell to see what Cutler can do once he's on a consistent team, which he hasn't been on since high school. His fans say it's bad luck. His critics say it's his trend.

SR
06-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Titans fans think Young is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't try and tell you otherwise because they might pull a piece out and try to convince you that way.

But, from an unbias point of view, we really didn't get to see what Leinart could do last year since he missed (I think) 11 games with that broken collar bone. Young is a hell of an ATHLETE, but he is a terrible QUARTERBACK.

IMO, Cutler has all of the skill and brains to be a great quarterback, it's just a matter of it all coming together.

Crush05
06-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again....

Jay has the potential to be better then Elway was!!!

It all depends on how he handles what is given to him and IMO I feel he will prosper.:salute:

silkamilkamonico
06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Cutler is a great centerpiece for Denver. Now if they could just get the rest of the team figured out.

Ziggy
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Titans fans think Young is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't try and tell you otherwise because they might pull a piece out and try to convince you that way.

But, from an unbias point of view, we really didn't get to see what Leinart could do last year since he missed (I think) 11 games with that broken collar bone. Young is a hell of an ATHLETE, but he is a terrible QUARTERBACK.

IMO, Cutler has all of the skill and brains to be a great quarterback, it's just a matter of it all coming together.

Leinart lost his starting job to Warner before the collar bone injury. When it happened, they were already splitting time. He had 2TD/5INT in 5 games, along with a 53.6 completion %. He was horrible, even without the injury.

SR
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Leinart lost his starting job to Warner before the collar bone injury. When it happened, they were already splitting time. He had 2TD/5INT in 5 games, along with a 53.6 completion %. He was horrible, even without the injury.

How is he supposed to get better if he's not playing and learning from his mistakes? That's why a coach like Weisenhunt is not good for a guy like Leinart. Leinart needs to be in there and take the hits, throw the picks, and make the mistakes so that he can learn from them. Weisenhunt is a "win, now" type of coach and he'll pull the plug on a QB as soon as he feels like his starter isn't giving the team a chance to win, whether or not it's on the QB or not. Leinart has all of the tools, minus being left handed, to be a great QB with one of the up-and-coming franchises in the NFL. He has the tools to be as good, but not better than, Cutler.

And just to make a point, there was a point last year when Cutler had more INTs than TDs.

ChampWJ
06-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a feeling Cutler is going to continue to rise above the other two more and more each year. He is the total package.

Ziggy
06-22-2008, 03:16 PM
How is he supposed to get better if he's not playing and learning from his mistakes? That's why a coach like Weisenhunt is not good for a guy like Leinart. Leinart needs to be in there and take the hits, throw the picks, and make the mistakes so that he can learn from them. Weisenhunt is a "win, now" type of coach and he'll pull the plug on a QB as soon as he feels like his starter isn't giving the team a chance to win, whether or not it's on the QB or not. Leinart has all of the tools, minus being left handed, to be a great QB with one of the up-and-coming franchises in the NFL. He has the tools to be as good, but not better than, Cutler.

And just to make a point, there was a point last year when Cutler had more INTs than TDs.

I don't know if he has the tools to be as good as Cutler, but you make a good point as far as him not gettting a chance to learn from his mistakes. Leinart can't make all the throws that Cutler can. He just doesn't have the same rocket arm, but he does show a nice touch at times. Personally, when it's all said and done I think Cutler will be well ahead of Leinart and Young. I think he'll be an elite QB, and the other 2 average. JMO

SR
06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't know if he has the tools to be as good as Cutler, but you make a good point as far as him not gettting a chance to learn from his mistakes. Leinart can't make all the throws that Cutler can. He just doesn't have the same rocket arm, but he does show a nice touch at times. Personally, when it's all said and done I think Cutler will be well ahead of Leinart and Young. I think he'll be an elite QB, and the other 2 average. JMO

Agreed. Leinart will never be elite in the sense that Cutler will (hopefully), but then again, look who Leinart plays for. The Cardinals have a deep history of acquiring awesome players and doing absolutely nothing with them. I really hope I'm wrong because second to Denver, the Cards are my other team. As far as VY goes...can't stand him or any other bumbling idiot like him.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 03:58 PM
And Young and Leinart got all the press before the draft because of the Rose Bowl. Vince Young is probably o a perfect team, hard defense workhorse that scraps for wins. Leinart needs an offensive line to see if he can make use of that duo he has. And only time will tell to see what Cutler can do once he's on a consistent team, which he hasn't been on since high school. His fans say it's bad luck. His critics say it's his trend.

Nice, neutral comment, which I appreciate.

I have read comments all over the league, however, and I really haven't run
across many critics of Cutler's. I think most people realize that Cutler's main
problem at Vanderbilt was . . . well, Vanderbilt.

I know some people still have a "wait and see" approach to Cutler. But he
had a tremendous year last year. I don't know how anyone could expect a
second-year QB to have a better one . . . and then to find out that he was
ill the last half of the season.

I think the writer of that blog has it right: Young and Leinarts are still
learning how to be NFL quarterbacks. Cutler is an NFL quarterback.

-----

omac
06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Agreed. Leinart will never be elite in the sense that Cutler will (hopefully), but then again, look who Leinart plays for. The Cardinals have a deep history of acquiring awesome players and doing absolutely nothing with them. I really hope I'm wrong because second to Denver, the Cards are my other team. As far as VY goes...can't stand him or any other bumbling idiot like him.

The thing with Leinart is, he kind of brought it on himself too. His commitment to his profession was questioned by Whisenhunt; he was not working hard studying the playbook ... he was out partying with Paris Hilton. Contrast that to Jay who's been hard at work studying every aspect of the Broncos playbook, and even trying to get time in before pre-season to establish rapport, not just with his receivers, but his linemen.

It's only after he'd lost his starting gig to Warner that he started to put in the hours and show his dedication. He could've done that at the start.

elsid13
06-22-2008, 04:25 PM
In many ways being on bad team at Vanderbilt was the best preparation for Cutler as NFL QB. He was forced to make quick decisions and learn how to handle breakdown of line without panicking. Plus he was able to understand that you don't always get 10 to 15 seconds in the pocket to make your reads.

Compare that to the college experience both Leinart and Young had. Those guys had so much talent on the o-line and that they weren't ready for the speed at the NFL or experience of broken plays.

SR
06-22-2008, 04:32 PM
The thing with Leinart is, he kind of brought it on himself too. His commitment to his profession was questioned by Whisenhunt; he was not working hard studying the playbook ... he was out partying with Paris Hilton. Contrast that to Jay who's been hard at work studying every aspect of the Broncos playbook, and even trying to get time in before pre-season to establish rapport, not just with his receivers, but his linemen.

It's only after he'd lost his starting gig to Warner that he started to put in the hours and show his dedication. He could've done that at the start.

Leinart learned from his off-field mistakes. He needs to be on the field to learn from his on-field mistakes. That's the point I'm trying to make.

omac
06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Leinart learned from his off-field mistakes. He needs to be on the field to learn from his on-field mistakes. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I agree with that, but he wasn't doing his best in his preparations to be on the field. It's like wanting to play, but not taking the time to fully study and absorb the playbook. When you do that, you don't give your coach much of a choice.

Instead of expecting to be the #1 because of his draft position, he should have the mindset of competing for the job, because Warner is very good. Forget this friendship/mentor thing, Warner won't step back and give him the spot on a silver platter; he should kick Warner's butt.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with that, but he wasn't doing his best in his preparations to be on the field. It's like wanting to play, but not taking the time to fully study and absorb the playbook. When you do that, you don't give your coach much of a choice.

Instead of expecting to be the #1 because of his draft position, he should have the mindset of competing for the job, because Warner is very good. Forget this friendship/mentor thing, Warner won't step back and give him the spot on a silver platter; he should kick Warner's butt.

That's kind of my mindset. If Leinart isn't willing to work hard in his off-field
preparations, his on-field performance is going to suffer. That's the bottom line.

-----

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 05:08 PM
That's kind of my mindset. If Leinart isn't willing to work hard in his off-field
preparations, his on-field performance is going to suffer. That's the bottom line.

-----

Go back to AZ you old fart..:laugh:

topscribe
06-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Go back to AZ you old fart..:laugh:

I don't want to. The Cardinals are here. :eviltongue:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I was excited about getting Leinart before the draft because of what he accomplished at USC; and I was a little weary of Cutler's JP Losman-like move up the draft boards; and I didn't know much about him since I only saw a few Vanderbilt games. Looking back, I'm sure glad we have Cutler now. :salute:

topscribe
06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
I was excited about getting Leinart before the draft because of what he accomplished at USC; and I was a little weary of Cutler's JP Losman-like move up the draft boards; and I didn't know much about him since I only saw a few Vanderbilt games. Looking back, I'm sure glad we have Cutler now. :salute:

Well, being right here in the middle of the PAC-10, I was aware of Leinart's
considerable accomplishments. I was also aware of the considerable talent
around him at the time. Leinart, IMO, will always be a system QB . . . a good
one, but a system QB, nonetheless. He will be very good at managing the
game for a good team.

I was never overly impressed with Young. To me, he is Michael Vick . . .
without his speed and his the criminal record.

I had Cutler pegged as a future superstar in the league before I ever
noticed the gleam in Shanny's eye for him. I remember, in his game against
Tennessee, saying, "Who the hell is that kid?" :eek: That is when I started to
research him.

I'll tell you, I had a knot in my stomach on draft day. I was so glad to see
Leinart go before the Broncos drafted. I knew at that moment Cutler was
ours to keep. :nixon:

-----

broncosfanscott
06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
It's funny looking at things now. I think Cutler got the least amount of attention before the draft and I am willing to bet that teams would've snatched him up immediatly had they seen what he has been able to do so far.

It is obvious that Cutler has the better arm and is quite mobile when he has to be which makes him better than Young. Second, he has beaten both Young and Leinart in head-to-head matchups which proves things even further. Also, the fact that he played last year with diabetes says a lot about him as a teammate and athlete.

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Leinart was a better college qb. Better qb rating....stats and wins. If/when he decides to be an NFL QB instead of a hollywood rockstar, he could very well be an excellent qb. Plus, listening to AZ players on sirius, some think Warner is their "MVP", and hope he continues to start.
As far as cutler being better than both, it's still up in the air. He's yet to have a winning record. I would think that would be a prerequisite before putting him in the Hall of Fame.

And as far as some saying he could be better than Elway? That's laughable. What has he done to prove that? Graduated from Vandy? lol Hell, I'd take Jake, if it'd mean more wins.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Leinart was a better college qb. Better qb rating....stats and wins. If/when he decides to be an NFL QB instead of a hollywood rockstar, he could very well be an excellent qb. Plus, listening to AZ players on sirius, some think Warner is their "MVP", and hope he continues to start.
As far as cutler being better than both, it's still up in the air. He's yet to have a winning record. I would think that would be a prerequisite before putting him in the Hall of Fame.

And as far as some saying he could be better than Elway? That's laughable. What has he done to prove that? Graduated from Vandy? lol Hell, I'd take Jake, if it'd mean more wins.

I don't get this deal about a "winning record," over and over and over again.
Ever hear of defense? When RBs were running around, through, and over
denver's offensive defense, again and again, how was it Cutler's responsibility
to go out and stop them? When Devin Hester was returning not one, but
two punts for TDs, how did that detract from Cutler's 302 yards and 2 TDs?

This went on all season. If Denver had a decent defense, if they were
better than 30th in stopping the run, then Cutler would have won more
games, and Cutler would have been a better quarterback. Does this make
any sense at all?

And Leinart was not a better college quarterback. Leinart played on a team
loaded with future pros in a relatively weak conference at the time. (I know.
I live in the middle of PAC-10 territory.) Cutler, on the other hand, played
for . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vanderbilt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in the SEC,
for pity's sake. I could not begin to imagine more opposite circumstances for
two quarterbacks. Leinart could not carry Cutler's jock.

Let's get over this Leinart-is-better-than-Cutler disease right now. He has
already blown the doors off both of those pretenders, Leinart and Young.

Cutler does not need to win games. Cutler has done his part, and I do not
have the slightest doubt that he will do even more this year. It is up to the
rest of the team to do theirs.

-----

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a feeling Cutler is going to continue to rise above the other two more and more each year. He is the total package.

Agreed! I think he has more potential and I don't know why, but whenever I replay my game tapes...he looks more and more like Elway. His potential excites me just like Elway did.

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't get this deal about a "winning record," over and over and over again.
Ever hear of defense? When RBs were running around, through, and over
denver's offensive defense, again and again, how was it Cutler's responsibility
to go out and stop them? When Devin Hester was returning not one, but
two punts for TDs, how did that detract from Cutler's 302 yards and 2 TDs?

This went on all season. If Denver had a decent defense, if they were
better than 30th in stopping the run, then Cutler would have won more
games, and Cutler would have been a better quarterback. Does this make
any sense at all?

And Leinart was not a better college quarterback. Leinart played on a team
loaded with future pros in a relatively weak conference at the time. (I know.
I live in the middle of PAC-10 territory.) Cutler, on the other hand, played
for . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vanderbilt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in the SEC,
for pity's sake. I could not begin to imagine more opposite circumstances for
two quarterbacs. Leinart could not carry Cutler's jock.

Let's get over this Leinart-is-better-than-Cutler disease right now. He has
already blown the doors off both of those pretenders, Leinart and Young.

Cutler does not need to win games. Cutler has done his part, and I do not
have the slightest doubt that he will do even more this year. It is up to the
rest of the team to do theirs.

-----

Damn, larry...mancrush, much? :eek:

Just because vandy plays in the sec doesn't make them a better team, even through they lost. Agreed?
Can you honestly say vandy would have been able to play with Pac10 teams and win?
Far be it for me to tout the SEC..I don't think they're any better than say the Big 12. Both conf's are lead by a couple of schools and the rest just beat each other up.
But to say that Leinart wasn't a better qb than cutler, in college, is wrong, imo. But unless somebody has a time machine, and both can switch places, this debate is moooooot.

As far as 'records' goes....look how elway led his teams to the playoffs, with mediocre players surrounding him. Didn't seem to keep him from winning games.
Now go take your blood pressure medicine..... :elefant:

topscribe
06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Damn, larry...mancrush, much? :eek:

Just because vandy plays in the sec doesn't make them a better team, even through they lost. Agreed?
Can you honestly say vandy would have been able to play with Pac10 teams and win?
Far be it for me to tout the SEC..I don't think they're any better than say the Big 12. Both conf's are lead by a couple of schools and the rest just beat each other up.
But to say that Leinart wasn't a better qb than cutler, in college, is wrong, imo. But unless somebody has a time machine, and both can switch places, this debate is moooooot.

As far as 'records' goes....look how elway led his teams to the playoffs, with mediocre players surrounding him. Didn't seem to keep him from winning games.
Now go take your blood pressure medicine..... :elefant:

Vanderbilt was not near the team as the top three or four in the PAC-10.
They weren't near the team of any of the others in the SEC. They didn't
hold a candle to USC or Texas. That is my point. Cutler carried his team.
But he couldn't carry all 22 players all the time.

Vanderbilt beat Tennessee. Vanderbilt did not belong in the same state as
Tennessee, let alone in the same conference. But Vandy beat Tennessee.
Had Cutler not been on the field, Tennessee would have mauled Vandy.

I can say Leinart was not as good as Cutler. Unequivocably. Categorically.
In my opinion. :D

Leinart had a better O-line. He had better RBs. He had better WRs. He had
better TEs. He had a better D-line. Better LBs. Better CBs. Better safeties.
Hell, he probably had better water boys.

And Leinart played in a conference inferior to the SEC. That means it was
easier for USC to win games than it was for Florida, Florida State, Tennesee,
Miami, and . . . Vanderbilt.

Let me repeat. Leinart played for USC. Young played for Texas. Those two
teams played for the National Championship. That is the kind of team each
played for. Cutler played for mighty Vanderbilt.

Who is going to win more games?

And Cutler has only proved that since coming to the pros. If Denver's
defense doesn't get any better, Cutler will still have a losing record, I'm
sorry. But Denver's defense has nothing to do with what kind of quarterback
Cutler is.

Oh BTW, you are aware that Elway never led his Stanford team to any
bowl games in all of his four years there, aren't you?

-----

omac
06-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Nice post, topscribe! :cheers:

And just to add to that, as deplete of talent as Vanderbilt was as compared to their SEC rivals, Jay Cutler still won the SEC Offensive Player of the year. That's against tough SEC defenses.

Heck, Cutler's Vanderbilt team gave Florida a tougher game than Ohio State (oops) did the following season in the national finals.

topscribe
06-23-2008, 02:27 AM
And while we're discussing wins and losses, here is a final thought:

As we know, Cutler finished the season at 7-9 and an 88.1 QB rating.

Here are what some pretty good QBs did in their second seasons:

Aikman: 7 wins, 9 losses, 66.6 QB rating.
Montana: 6 -10, 87.8
Bradshaw: 6 - 8, 59.7

Oh yes, I might mention that Young had a 71.1 QB rating last year, and
Leinart managed 61.9 in the games he played. Just saying . . .

And here's something our friend JayCutler4MVP provided for us:

http://files.filefront.com/Jay+Cutler+2007+Videowmv/;10669927;/fileinfo.html

-----

Retired_Member_001
06-23-2008, 04:48 AM
And while we're discussing wins and losses, here is a final thought:

As we know, Cutler finished the season at 7-9 and an 88.1 QB rating.

Here are what some pretty good QBs did in their second seasons:

Aikman: 7 wins, 9 losses, 66.6 QB rating.
Montana: 6 -10, 87.8
Bradshaw: 6 - 8, 59.7

Oh yes, I might mention that Young had a 71.1 QB rating last year, and
Leinart managed 61.9 in the games he played. Just saying . . .

And here's something our friend JayCutler4MVP provided for us:

http://files.filefront.com/Jay+Cutler+2007+Videowmv/;10669927;/fileinfo.html

-----

Leinart also had a better offense, whilst Young had a better team. Let us also no forget that during the season, Cutler lost 30lbs due to DIABETES. I think it's pretty safe to say that Cutler did amazingly for a second year quarterback who was behind a scrub offensive line and whilst losing so much weight.

scott.475
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Know what I remember about that draft year, leading up to draft day? Regarding QBs, almost all I remember hearing was how Leinart was "NFL ready", how he already played like and "NFL quarterback", blah, blah, blah. Laughable...if he was really that good, his place as a starter would already be assured and Warner would be assigned as backup, or he would have moved on to another team, with someone else assigned as Lenart's backup. Now, people are talking about how this needs to be Lenart's year to prove something or he will be sent packing...by a 37 year old QB.

Anyway, maybe Leinart's take is "Hey, I got a pretty good payday. Sitting on the bench isn't so bad as long as I am getting paid!"

At least in VY's and Jay's cases, they both seem to have the desire to want to play and win, and I just don't see that with Leinart.I can't blame Weisenhunt either, I would probably be starting Warner over Leinart as well.

BroncoWave
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Amen! It is NAUSEATING having to listen to Titans fans around here talk about how VY is the absolute shit and how he will be in the hall of fame one day. They are ridiculous.

Kaylore
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
My experience with Titan fans has been different. Jay played for Vandy, which is in Tennessee and many of them know that Fisher wanted Cutler first. They also have some good fans and think Jay is a good QB. They're not stupid. Some do indeed believe that admitting Cutler is good means Vince is bad (and we all know that's silly) but I got a much more rational group when I talk to them.

I do agree that Leinert isn't going anywhere. He's too immature, he isn't tough mentally, and he isn't gifted physically. I think Young could be pretty good with some decent receivers, though.

SR
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Cutler didn't play for the Vols.

Kaylore
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Cutler didn't play for the Vols.

I meant Vandy (vols, Vandy, blech!) It's a Monday. I'll fix it.:shocked:

SR
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I meant Vandy (vols, Vandy, blech!) It's a Monday. I'll fix it.:shocked:

I'm here for you brother.

WARHORSE
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
It's funny looking at things now. I think Cutler got the least amount of attention before the draft and I am willing to bet that teams would've snatched him up immediatly had they seen what he has been able to do so far.

It is obvious that Cutler has the better arm and is quite mobile when he has to be which makes him better than Young. Second, he has beaten both Young and Leinart in head-to-head matchups which proves things even further. Also, the fact that he played last year with diabetes says a lot about him as a teammate and athlete.

Mike Mayock couldnt stop pumping the Jay Cutler horn. He kept trying to tell everyone that he thought Cutler was the best QB in the draft. After watching him during the senior bowl practices, he came away with Cutlers autograph on his panties.

Looks like ole Mayock should save the panties. Give credit where credit is due............Mayock had Cutler pegged, especially after he watched the gametape of Jay at Vandy.

Good job Mike.:salute:

WARHORSE
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Know what I remember about that draft year, leading up to draft day? Regarding QBs, almost all I remember hearing was how Leinart was "NFL ready", how he already played like and "NFL quarterback", blah, blah, blah. Laughable...if he was really that good, his place as a starter would already be assured and Warner would be assigned as backup, or he would have moved on to another team, with someone else assigned as Lenart's backup. Now, people are talking about how this needs to be Lenart's year to prove something or he will be sent packing...by a 37 year old QB.

Anyway, maybe Leinart's take is "Hey, I got a pretty good payday. Sitting on the bench isn't so bad as long as I am getting paid!"

At least in VY's and Jay's cases, they both seem to have the desire to want to play and win, and I just don't see that with Leinart.I can't blame Weisenhunt either, I would probably be starting Warner over Leinart as well.

And this was a concern that was whispered by some early on. He did everything right. Said everything right. Was everything you wanted...........but some said, "I think hes too hollywood. He likes 'hanging with the stars' a little too much for my taste."

Man does it suck when one little glitch in the armour of these guys ends up being the chink that sinks your organization for a gazillion dolla's.

dogfish
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
my opinion of leinart is the same now as it was before the draft. . . the guy has little to no shot of having a quality NFL career. . . it doesn't matter what skills he does or doesn't have, he simply isn't durable enough. . . the guy had like three arm/shoulder operations before even getting to the league-- the only reason he lasted as long as he did was a line that rarely let him get hit in college. . . he's chad pennington all over again-- waste of a 1st round pick. . .

i still think vince will have a solid career when all's said and done. . . .

PatricktheDookie
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Chad pennington at least accomplished something in this league...

omac
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
my opinion of leinart is the same now as it was before the draft. . . the guy has little to no shot of having a quality NFL career. . . it doesn't matter what skills he does or doesn't have, he simply isn't durable enough. . . the guy had like three arm/shoulder operations before even getting to the league-- the only reason he lasted as long as he did was a line that rarely let him get hit in college. . . he's chad pennington all over again-- waste of a 1st round pick. . .

Vince Young has the fire to get better and is a leader. As it is, he's already better than a third or maybe half of the starting QBs in the league. I don't doubt that he will get much better. He could develop into a McNabb type QB, because he can tough it out, and usually rises to the occasion.

rcsodak
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Is this the same Vince Young that almost called it quits after year one!

And don't fall for his "I never said that" crap!

Typical Texass Shorthorn.....

Maybe he and Cedric can go cry together somewhere.....

...as long as Selvin isn't invited.

Retired_Member_001
06-24-2008, 06:41 AM

I agree with both of your opinions.

I think that Vince Young will not have an amazing fancy career, but he definitely knows how to win. Despite not having great stats for a rookie, Vince makes his teammates believe in him. He makes the coaches believe in him. Cutler's career will smash both of these guys career to peices. Diabetes or not Diabetes.

SR
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Vince Young is a great athlete. Anyone who denies that is a tard. That being said, he's an awful QB. He can't read defenses and he doesn't think fast enough to be able to unload the ball to the right place at the right time when he's being pressured. He's not going to have a very spectacular NFL career because his NFL career won't be very long because of his style of play. Unless he does what McNabb did and realize that running backs run the ball, not quarterbacks, and start throwing and making himself in to the type of pocket passer that excells in this league, he'll be out in a matter of a few years.

MOtorboat
06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Vince Young is a great athlete. Anyone who denies that is a tard. That being said, he's an awful QB. He can't read defenses and he doesn't think fast enough to be able to unload the ball to the right place at the right time when he's being pressured. He's not going to have a very spectacular NFL career because his NFL career won't be very long because of his style of play. Unless he does what McNabb did and realize that running backs run the ball, not quarterbacks, and start throwing and making himself in to the type of pocket passer that excells in this league, he'll be out in a matter of a few years.

McNabb's mechanics and play-reading skills were at a much higher level going into his third year than Vince Young's will ever be.

FWIW, and off topic, I think McNabb might have a big year.

SR
06-24-2008, 08:12 AM
McNabb's mechanics and play-reading skills were at a much higher level going into his third year than Vince Young's will ever be.

FWIW, and off topic, I think McNabb might have a big year.

Agreed. However, the only way VY will ever be able to progress like McNabb did from a run-first type to a pass-first/run if there are no other options, he will have to learn how to be a QB all over again and I don't think he's smart enough to do that. Also, he doesn't have a very strong arm and he's not very accurate.

Kaylore
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I was impressed with Young in the game against us. MNF is a big game because the nation is watching and both sides are geeked up to show off. I think he really played well and were it not for a receiver corps that is total garbage, he would have kept that came pretty close. I think he can pass from the pocket, despite what is being said here. He is not at all like Michael Vick.

If there's anything that will doom his career, it's the same thing that's going to doom Leinert's and that's that they're both not tough mentally. I remember after the national championship game Leinert whined and whined and whined. During the draft he whined about it being hard on him. STOP WHINING! After our game, Young stormed off the field all pouty complaining about his team. He also almost gave up at the end of his first season. I'm sorry, but those aren't attributes of leaders or even just starting QB's. You need to show toughness.

I wonder how many times Cutler whined about playing through untreated diabetes? Oh yeah. None.