PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News.com: Denver Will Go 13-3 in 2008

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I like this article a lot, and I hope its true! To be honest, I'd be happy with a wildcard round win. Hell, I'd be happy watching a preseason game at this point of the year!

Denver will go 13-3 in 2008
Filed under: BrandonMarshall BrandonStokley DanielGraham DarrellJackson DenverBroncos NFL
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 0
Jun 20, 2008 10:44 PM | [report abuse]
From Broncos Denver Broncos

Okay, at worst 12-4. I’m not kidding, allow me to state my case:

Offseason Losses:
Javon Walker – WR
Travis Henry - RB
Ian Gold – OLB
Matt Lepsis - LT
Chris Myers – C/G
Jason Elam – K

Key Pickups:
Dewayne Robertson – DT
Darrell Jackson - WR
Niko Koutouvides – MLB
Boss Bailey – OLB
Marlon McCree – SS
Casey Wiegmann – C/G
Keary Colbert – WR
Samie Parker – WR
Michael Pittman – HB
Dylan Gandy – G/T
Ryan Clady – LT*
Eddie Royal – WR/KR/PR*
Peyton Hillis – FB*
Ryan Torain – RB*
Carlton Powell – DT*
Spencer Larsen – MLB*
*-(Draft Pick)
**- Picks are in order based on what I see as their importance to the team. With the rookies below the free agents.

See that list? Maybe that makes my point, maybe it doesn’t. One thing you will come to learn about me is that I don’t like to make points, I like to over make them. Love leaving someone who felt like they had a point, forgetting what their point was in the first place.

In 2007 Denver played every AFC Playoff team, except for New England, including San Diego twice. They also played a Green Bay Packers team that went 13-3, the Bears, who had lost the Super Bowl the previous season (and barely missed the playoffs in ’07) and teams in Houston and Buffalo who were in the playoff hunt until the very end.

All said, of the 13 teams that Denver played in 2007, six made the playoffs and another two could have easily been there. Granted the Broncos only beat two of those six, but did give Green Bay a run for their money and there were moments of hope at Indianapolis and against Jacksonville. Speaking of Green Bay and I mentioned Chicago earlier, any fans in doubt that had we won those overtime coin tosses Denver would have finished the season 9-7 instead of 7-9?

So what’s in the cards for Denver this season? On paper Denver has the third weakest strength of schedule in the NFL, Oakland has the second and New England (go figure) has the easiest schedule. Despite going 7-9 last season, Denver did finish second in the AFC West. So they are going to play the other second place teams (Jacksonville and Cleveland) in the AFC as well as pulling the AFC East (New England, Miami, Buffalo and New York Jets) and the NFC South (Tampa, New Orleans, Carolina and Atlanta). Of course they’ll have Kansas City, San Diego and Oakland twice.

Not looking so bleak anymore is it?

Or are you still concerned? Many blame last season predominantly on lousy run defense, I focus on an incredibly unfortunate amount of injuries and lack of depth. Over the course of the season Denver lost: their best receiver, their two best offensive linemen, two of their best defensive ends, their starting running back, the backbone to their defense safety and cornerback, their pass catching tight end and their other two starting receivers at different points in the season. Granted some came back during the season, but hardly any were able to return to starting fashion before the end of the season. Brandon Stokley and Tony Scheffler being the exceptions, the best part about that laundry list of injuries is that all (except Javon Walker) will be back, healthy (crossing fingers) for 2008.

Add the list of healthy onto that exciting laundry list of offseason pickups and we’re not built like a 7-9 team. Matter of fact, that’s what I would call a 13-3 team, 12-4 if you want to be an (expletive). Jay Cutler, whom by now everyone knows, was playing with the worst type of diabetes for all of last season, now has the disease under control. Cutler has thrown for 300 yards in his career only twice. However, he’s coming into his third season in a Mike Shanahan offense: John Elway (twice), Steve Young and Jake Plummer all flourished in their third season in a Shanahan offense.

Selvin Young may not be the answer at running back, but he’s not going to hurt, the exact same thing can be said for Andre Hall, Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain and Anthony Aldridge. Though the thought of any of them running for 2,000 yards may be a little absurd, the idea of them combining for 2,500+ yards is not. Last season Denver ran for a combined 1,957 with a makeshift offensive line. This year, even if there are as many as three injuries to starters on the offensive line, Denver has the depth to replace them with someone equally as talented.

When Javon Walker went down last season, Denver was faced with a second year player in Brandon Marshall and the NFL’s best slot receiver in Brandon Stokley (who played out of his most productive position for the rest of the season). Then Stokley was lost for the last three games of the season. Taking 12 receivers into camp is nothing out of the ordinary for a Shanahan team and due to that practice Denver doesn’t look to topple off talent wise at receiver until they get down near the 5th or 6th member of the depth chart.

This couldn’t be said last season, Walker went down and Denver had no depth behind Stokley and Marshall, who combined for 1,960 yards in 2007. Do you not think that with Darrell Jackson, Sammie Parker, Eddie Royal and Keary Colbert the team might be able to do a bit more than that? Not to mention relieve some of the time Stokley spends on the field, possibly allowing for him to stay healthy the entire season?

In fact if I had one concern for the entire Denver Broncos offense, it would be the lack of depth at tight end. Already, before training camp, we can see what Denver would be faced with if they were to start the season. Daniel Graham, Nate Jackson and… Mike Leech (our long snapper) at tight end. Though the late word out of team camp is that Jackson’s looking great.

Now, what am I forgetting about? Fullback, remember Denver’s final pick in the draft? Peyton Hillis, yeah, he was blocking for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones last season. He was also catching passes, both of these abilities will help the Broncos offense punch it in while in the end zone. What a steal, of course still employed at fullback are Cecil Sapp and Mike Bell, though neither were terribly impressive last season, yet who can blame them?

In the NFL it’s a rule, everyone is equal, on paper someone may be better, but on any given Sunday any team can win. Teams that are predicted to do well can have a horrible season losing one player. If a team can stay healthy, the team usually has a season that carries deep into January.

EDIT: My favorite parts in YELLOW!

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Nice, positive read.......................................hope the author's right

Slick
06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Fun read. As much as I'd like to see Cutler air it out this year, I think the point about the running game and a hopefully healthy offensive line is most important. Let's eat up the clock and keep the defense off the field. We need to give our opponents the same treatment Jacksonville gave us last year.

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice, positive read.......................................hope the author's right

I really like the part about how if we won the coin toss vs. Green Bay or Chicago those would have been wins. I was screaming that all last year. Aint gonna be a need for overtimes this year when we start stomping people again!:salute::salute::salute:

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Fun read. As much as I'd like to see Cutler air it out this year, I think the point about the running game and a hopefully healthy offensive line is most important. Let's eat up the clock and keep the defense off the field. We need to give our opponents the same treatment Jacksonville gave us last year.

Or do like we did with Elway and score on our first 4 drives then eat up the clock with the RB. Screw ball control, I want to see scores like 36-3 like in the late 90's. At least Shannahan knew not to run the score up too much. Big, classy wins. That would be so cool.

Nature Boy
06-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm predicting 11-5 or better. Mainly because our O-Line is much improved and the defense is back to it's old scheme.

Lonestar
06-21-2008, 06:44 PM
ahahahahahah

not sure who that moron is but 13-3 not going to happen...

there are many holes in that story just a couple that leap out at you..

Peyton Hillis, yeah, he was blocking for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones last season. He was also catching passes, both of these abilities will help the Broncos offense punch it in while in the end zone.

if your in the end zone where are you going to punch it into..

Last season Denver ran for a combined 1,957 with a makeshift offensive line. This year, even if there are as many as three injuries to starters on the offensive line, Denver has the depth to replace them with someone equally as talented.

real good fiction writer but..

Slick
06-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Or do like we did with Elway and score on our first 4 drives then eat up the clock with the RB. Screw ball control, I want to see scores like 36-3 like in the late 90's. At least Shannahan knew not to run the score up too much. Big, classy wins. That would be so cool.

Yes it would...I could definitely get on board with that. I just worry about the defense. I like it when they're on the sidelines.

jrelway
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
this guys pretty much dead on about everything exept for our record being 13-3... he should of put 19-0.. :salute: this read made my day still.

PatricktheDookie
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
It's not an article - it's a blog entry. Big difference.

Ziggy
06-21-2008, 07:40 PM

That explains a lot.

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 09:15 PM

So an article with a bold prediction carries more weight than a blog? These things are just for fun, and I like to think we could go 13-3! :D

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 09:17 PM
ahahahahahah

not sure who that moron is but 13-3 not going to happen...

there are many holes in that story just a couple that leap out at you..

if your in the end zone where are you going to punch it into..

real good fiction writer but..

Its that damn Liberal Media Jrwiz! :D

SR
06-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Great read. Obviously the best article I have read about our beloved Broncos over the entire off season thus far.

claymore
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Great Article Shake, If I could write, thats what I would have said........

Dean
06-21-2008, 09:26 PM
A nice, "feel good" post.

Our schedule is weaker based upon last year's results. Now, if we only played last year's teams. ;)

I am happy with our aquisitions but a predicition of 13-3 is a bit much.

Watchthemiddle
06-21-2008, 09:27 PM
So this is the first of many blogs, articles, and what have you we will see in the upcoming months.

I hope it pans out.

topscribe
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
13-3. Well, I just put my novel down.

I've had enough fiction for the night . . . :coffee:

-----

NameUsedBefore
06-21-2008, 10:14 PM
For some reason I feel obliged to post this. Feel free to think up whatever fitting metaphors possible:

http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/Rene_Magritte/pipe.jpeg

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
What I like about the post is that it goes over how much we were bit by the injury bug last year. We usually don't have that kind of year. Hopefully we won't again.

13-3 may be a stretch... but it's not impossible. :salute:

MasterShake
06-21-2008, 11:36 PM
For some reason I feel obliged to post this. Feel free to think up whatever fitting metaphors possible:

http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/Rene_Magritte/pipe.jpeg

Ahhh. Flashbacks to art history: "This is not a pipe"

NameUsedBefore
06-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Ahhh. Flashbacks to art history: "This is not a pipe"

http://www.aeropause.com/archives/notapipe.jpg

omac
06-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Great post, MasterShake! :salute:

After last season, I wouldn't say 13-3, but I think 10-6 is very doable. We've done measures to fix 4 of our major problems last season: injuries (better depth), attitude (better character players), OL (Clady and the return of Nalen and Hamilton), and run defense (the acquisition of Robertson, and abandoning Bates' scheme).

The potentially easier schedule will also help us.

I don't think Cutler will play that much better because of the monitoring of his diabetes; he actually played pretty well despite that. He gutts it out, a trait he's had since college. He will play better because he's more experienced, and will most likely have a more consistent protection and running attack.

sneakers
06-22-2008, 12:20 AM
I think they are being a tad conservative predicting 13-3.....I would say 14-2 or 15-1, easily. :D

How the heck did the Patriots get the easiest schedule :confused: :lol:

Simple Jaded
06-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Good find.

The Sporting News annual that I read has the Chargers beating the Cowballs for the Championship.

They have the Broncos going 9-7 with Shanahan being a candidate for getting fired if they miss the playoffs.

Hopefully the OP is right.

Btw, Lmfao at the lack of depth at TE being the biggest concern on offense......

WARHORSE
06-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Of course this is true.

Denver will indeeeeeeed be going 13-3.

?

NOT!!!

19-0 baybee...........all da way jay!!

Hobe
06-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice read, but how can you write an article like this and not even mention the O & D line issues. I mean our first draft pick was an O-line man.

SmilinAssasSin27
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Good thread, but remember that the NFC North was supposed to suck in 2007. How'd we do against em. The year before we had the NFC West. We lost 3 of 4, right? You can never coun on teams sucking forever. Just ask the 99 Rams, last year's Giants and a few others...

SR
06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Because the strength of schedule no longer depends on your record from the previous season. They rotate different divisions for every other divisions to play. For example, last year we played the NFC North and AFC South along with our division.

broncobryce
06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
The writer definetely sounds like a homer, but being a homer myself I agree 100%. But, 13-3 will be tough because the Chargers are very good right now. If we could get DJ or Lynch to nail Tomlinson's ass to the turf then Sy-Phillis Rivers would be exposed as the loser he is. I think 11-5 is doable. I read somewhere we had like 150 games missed due to injury last year-the most ever under Shanahan. That in itself explains a lot.

frauschieze
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I think they are being a tad conservative predicting 13-3.....I would say 14-2 or 15-1, easily. :D

NE plays the 1-15 Dolphins, the 4-12 Jets and the 7-9 Bills twice. :hi:

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:42 AM
NE plays the 1-15 Dolphins, the 4-12 Jets and the 7-9 Bills twice. :hi:

I'd guess that all of them will be better this year.. so while it may look like the easiest schedule with the off seasons they have had it might not be quite that easy although I doubt that NE will have much to worry about them.. Just will not win by as large a margin.

Not the rest of there schedule I do not know that is one well run franchise from top to bottom.. Regardless of how you feel about the coach he do alot of things really well..

WARHORSE
06-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd guess that all of them will be better this year.. so while it may look like the easiest schedule with the off seasons they have had it might not be quite that easy although I doubt that NE will have much to worry about them.. Just will not win by as large a margin.

Not the rest of there schedule I do not know that is one well run franchise from top to bottom.. Regardless of how you feel about the coach he do alot of things really well..

Dolphins will be 2-15

Jets will be.......6-10?

Bills will be.........6-10?

You can pencil NE into the playoffs.

Simply because their division SUCKS.

Anything can happen there.

They just hope they dont run into the DENVER BRONCOS.

S'all I gotta sez...........

Crush05
06-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Great read.... I was thinking more along the lines of a 12-4 season. Then again I am just a die hard fan what do I know:confused:

shank
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
i think some incosistency and a gelling period will drop us from 13 wins, despite the easy schedule, but i still see us making the playoffs, and hopefully we don't have any blowouts this season.

i'm so not worried about TE depth (right now) unless the injury bug strikes again (knock on wood). stay healthy tony and nate.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
i think some incosistency and a gelling period will drop us from 13 wins, despite the easy schedule, but i still see us making the playoffs, and hopefully we don't have any blowouts this season.

i'm so not worried about TE depth (right now) unless the injury bug strikes again (knock on wood). stay healthy tony and nate.

That's kind of my thinking. The Broncos may well be a 12-4, 13-3 team by
the end of the season, but because of the jelling and experience factor, they
will have carved out a 10-6 overall record for the season.

Their saving grace will come at the hands of Jay Cutler who, in his third year,
will know what he's doing. I expect three or four come-from-behind fourth
quarter heroics from him this year.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I think that's a pretty enjoyable opinion piece. I think it's a given that this years roster is more talented than last years, and we do have a pretty favorable schedule. As some others have mentioned, we'll have to see how all these players gel together as a unit. I think the simplified (back to the way it was) defense is a lot better for who we have on this team; and we have a lot of younger players continuing to grow in their roles. We still have the same ole savvy veterans as well in Lynch, Bailey, Bly, etc. and even added some with guys like Boss, McCree and Robertson.

The offense is getting some stalwarts up front back, and we've added a lot of players to this side of the ball. The wide receiver position I think is going to be great this year for Jay's development and the overall progress of the team. Marshall, Jackson, Colbert, Royal, Stokley, Parker, etc. sounds a lot better than Marshall, Stokley, Martinez; who are pretty much our rollover from last season. We've added some other players too, and the growing into roles statement would apply for players like Kuper, Young, etc. as well.

This team got rid of the distractions, and it looks like they have an identity going forward. I don't think we'll hit 13 wins, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least get ten wins. It all comes down to chemistry though, and if that can't be built, I don't expect us to do much. Let's hope that it does.

shank
06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
This team got rid of the distractions, and it looks like they have an identity going forward. I don't think we'll hit 13 wins, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least get ten wins. It all comes down to chemistry though, and if that can't be built, I don't expect us to do much. Let's hope that it does.

from everything i've heard, the team is already cohesive in practices and are getting along well, we'll see if it works when the pads are on and against other teams.

i love that gold, walker, and henry are gone now and that the whole team knows exactly why. everyone in denver knows what the organization expects from them, and all the players seem to embrace it and love that that's how it is with those guys gone.

i feel safe saying that we won't be questioning the team's heart this season, even if they struggle to gel early.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
from everything i've heard, the team is already cohesive in practices and are getting along well, we'll see if it works when the pads are on and against other teams.

i love that gold, walker, and henry are gone now and that the whole team knows exactly why. everyone in denver knows what the organization expects from them, and all the players seem to embrace it and love that that's how it is with those guys gone.

i feel safe saying that we won't be questioning the team's heart this season, even if they struggle to gel early.

I'm really excited about this season, it is cliche, but I remember thinking back in 2006, when Jay and the 2006 guys grow a few years, they'll be dominant. I think if we can stay healthy *knock on wood* we'll be in the top five in offense. I see no reason for us not to be if all the gears are clicking.

Amen on those three being gone (despite me always being a Javon fan, FSU reasons) -- I remember when Denver was doing bad last year, and a certain unnamed player always kept saying negative crap, it was undoubtedly Ian Gold. I don't know if there's a happier person that he's off the team than I am. I remember arguing with MUG (who I respect a great deal) over him constantly. I knew that both Warren and Gold be shown the door this past year, it was just a matter of when; and I'm glad I was right on both.

I still can't believe that we brought Ian back. We drafted one of the best WILL's to come out in recent memory (at the time, in regards to DJ) and then put him at SAM for two years than MIKE and had him rot when he could have been a very, very good WLB. After all the pissing Ian did on Denver after he left, I'm surprised we took him back. I'm a pretty big arm-chair QB; and IMHO -- bringing back Ian was one of the worst decisions this team had made since I've been a diehard fan for the past 10-12 years. It set back the progression of DJ; and ultimately, you had a guy who was undersized, overpursued and missed tackles. When you're roaming open space; that's the last kind of player you want at WILL. You want those guys who can make the sure tackles. Ian was just an absolute piece. No wonder he's not signed (to my knowledge) anywhere. Oh yeah, how's being your own agent working out Ian? Whatta *****.

Super kudos on the whole loving the game thing. I love the players we drafted and for the most part, we have a solid group of football players. Humble, lunch pail types who'd play the game even if it were for free. (Might be stretching it, but you get the idea.)

I'm excited for 2008. Bring it on.

shank
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
yeah, i would guess the 'unnamed source' that every article had who was calling out coaching and the other players had to be gold. he never said anything negative publicly, but now gets referred to along side javon; shanny and co must have known he was the one badmouthing everyone cause he really made a point of saying that he got rid of people who didn't want to work hard or who didn't act like they wanted to be here.

and i gotta at least put myself ina tie with you for who's happiest about his departure

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 02:22 PM
IIRC I was one of those folks that said 2008 would be our strong year, while everyone was saying for sure 2007 was the Superbowl year, after Jay was drafted in 2006..

Now I;m going to say after all the changes and youth on this squad that prediction will be moved back to 2009-10..

There is just to much youth and changes here to be 13-3 or as many predict 10-6

We are playing the following games:
@OAK
SAN
NO
@KC
TPA
JAX
@NE
all before the BYE week

MIA
@CLE
@ATL
OAK
@NYJ
KC
@CAR
BUF
@SAN

We could very well be 1-6 at the bye, best case 3-4
After the bye worst case 3-6 best case 4-5

So as it stands worst case 4-12 best case 7-9 unless this team goes from jello to soft set concrete in the preseason..

Yes we had addressed 5-6 positions with draft choices and some FA's but are they real fixes or at best temps manning the spots.. I do not think anyone can realistically say based on OTA's that all the problems are fixed in one year..

nevcraw
06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
That's kind of my thinking. The Broncos may well be a 12-4, 13-3 team by
the end of the season, but because of the jelling and experience factor, they
will have carved out a 10-6 overall record for the season.

Their saving grace will come at the hands of Jay Cutler who, in his third year,
will know what he's doing. I expect three or four come-from-behind fourth
quarter heroics from him this year.

-----

that is why I felt and feel that that the broncs should have overpaid and kept Elam on the team for this year. A few games will no doubtly come down to a clutch kick. Not convinced at all of mental fortitude of any young kicker.. Elam's salary would have been easy to swallow considering his leg alone would probably attribute 2-4 more wins.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 02:55 PM
IIRC I was one of those folks that said 2008 would be our strong year, while everyone was saying for sure 2007 was the Superbowl year, after Jay was drafted in 2006..

Now I;m going to say after all the changes and youth on this squad that prediction will be moved back to 2009-10..

There is just to much youth and changes here to be 13-3 or as many predict 10-6

We are playing the following games:
@OAK
SAN
NO
@KC
TPA
JAX
@NE
all before the BYE week

MIA
@CLE
@ATL
OAK
@NYJ
KC
@CAR
BUF
@SAN

We could very well be 1-6 at the bye, best case 3-4
After the bye worst case 3-6 best case 4-5

So as it stands worst case 4-12 best case 7-9 unless this team goes from jello to soft set concrete in the preseason..

Yes we had addressed 5-6 positions with draft choices and some FA's but are they real fixes or at best temps manning the spots.. I do not think anyone can realistically say based on OTA's that all the problems are fixed in one year..

On the other hand, the Broncos could go undefeated after by bye. That's
a gaggle of pretty ordinary teams there. The only one that scares me,
really, is at the Jets because the Broncos often seem to struggle on the
east coast.

(Well, at SD doesn't shape up to be a good trip, either, but the chances are
the Broncos may be playing for a playoff spot, whereas SD may have the
season wrapped up by then and be playing a largely meaningless game.
That's just a possibilty, though. Realistically, even though the games will
be closer, I expect SD to sweep us again. :mad:)

It's before the bye that I worry about, with SD, NO, Jax, and NE on the
schedule, and the Broncos at the same time trying to jell. Methinks it would
have been better to have those juggernauts after the bye, but that is not
the way it is.

So I see 3-4 before the bye and 7-2 after for a 10-6 season.

IMHO.

-----

omac
06-22-2008, 04:26 PM
As long as the Broncos defense can at least be decent as they were pre-Bates, I have no reservations of them having a 10-6 record.

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 04:39 PM
As long as the Broncos defense can at least be decent as they were pre-Bates, I have no reservations of them having a 10-6 record.

Oh you mean the bend over and I'll break it off coyer defense.. That allowed the team to keep the ball all day?

No thanks He was fired for a reason.. unable to stop sustained drives

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Denver will go 13-3 on Madden 2009.

However, in real life, they are pretty much screwed.

topscribe
06-22-2008, 05:00 PM

:pound:

I hope not, Wook . . .

-----

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Ok, pardon my humour.

I see us getting a winning record this season. Maybe 9-7. I definitely don't think we will go 13-3 though. I mean to have a record like that, the lines on both sides of the ball will need to play well from Game 1. We also then need our running back, wide receiver,safety and even linebacker situations to work out. There's alot of ifs in all those areas. In fact the only positions that we have no questions marks are Defensive End, Quarterback and Cornernback.

Nothing ever goes ALL your way. We just have to hope that the team works hard enough for most of the things to go our way.

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
:pound:

I hope not, Wook . . .

-----

:laugh:

I guess sometimes you just need abit of luck. Abit of luck in games, abit of luck with the players you signed and so on.

We just have to wait and see.

omac
06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh you mean the bend over and I'll break it off coyer defense.. That allowed the team to keep the ball all day?

No thanks He was fired for a reason.. unable to stop sustained drives

Well it was way better than Bates' floormatt rushing defense any day. :cheers:

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Well it was way better than Bates' floormatt rushing defense any day. :cheers:

Had he had the whales he needed and the rest of the team bought into it it might have been a different season..

He had a proven method time tested that it worked.. Just did not in DEN.. I wish him well..

BTW where did Andrew Mason go?

MOtorboat
06-22-2008, 05:12 PM

www.carolinapanthers.com

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Had he had the whales he needed and the rest of the team bought into it it might have been a different season..

He had a proven method time tested that it worked.. Just did not in DEN.. I wish him well..

Exactly.

He didn't have the tools needed for the system to work. How can you blame the guy for that? If you don't give an engineer the right tools to fix a car, he won't be able to do it. It's likewise for your defensive coordinator.

As for Andrew Mason, he was fired because of Salary Cuts.

shank
06-22-2008, 05:17 PM
If you don't give an engineer the right tools to fix a car, he won't be able to do it.

i usually take my car to a mechanic ;)

omac
06-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Well, he tried to get players that could fit his system, but that didn't work out, and neither did the current ones in the roster. That's the possitive part about the defense now; they're trying to use the players they do have to the best of their abilities, so that could hopefully have a better effect. I'm pretty positive that it will be better than last season. :cheers:

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:20 PM
i usually take my car to a mechanic ;)

Yeah well then you're taking it to the wrong person.

:dizzy:

shank
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
bate's had a scheme that needed certain players. i don't fault shanny for bringing him in, i don't fault bate's for not getting all the players he needed in 1 offseason.

i won't even say i was happy to see him 'resign' because i thought another season to get the guys he needed would have made huge improvements as well, shanny just wasn't willing to grant him that. i wish him luck, and it kinda sucks that it didn't work out.

like you said, omac, i just hope slow tailors the defense to our player's strengths and does what he can to put every player in a situation to succeed. reduce the opportunity of player error.

shank
06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah well then you're taking it to the wrong person.

:dizzy:

is it a mistype? or am i missing some british lingo? :laugh:

omac
06-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Exactly.

He didn't have the tools needed for the system to work. How can you blame the guy for that? If you don't give an engineer the right tools to fix a car, he won't be able to do it. It's likewise for your defensive coordinator.

As for Andrew Mason, he was fired because of Salary Cuts.

You blame the guy because he should be able to asses what his players can and can't do, and trying to make the best defense with the talent that he does have.

You can try to build a Colts type offense, but unless you have a Peyton-like QB, it just won't work.

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
is it a mistype? or am i missing some british lingo? :laugh:

Nah man.

I made a typo.

Retired_Member_001
06-22-2008, 05:30 PM
You blame the guy because he should be able to asses what his players can and can't do, and trying to make the best defense with the talent that he does have.

You can try to build a Colts type offense, but unless you have a Peyton-like QB, it just won't work.

Eventually we went back to a different style of defense, did we not? Bates and Shanahan wanted to give the system time to see if it would work. It usually takes time to adapt to something new. When our guys didn't adapt, they changed it.

omac
06-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Eventually we went back to a different style of defense, did we not? Bates and Shanahan wanted to give the system time to see if it would work. It usually takes time to adapt to something new. When our guys didn't adapt, they changed it.

Yes, we did.

That's one aspect some coaches have and others don't; getting the players to buy into something. Getting them to believe they would get good at it, despite initial problems. At the start before pre-season, the players sounded pretty excited about the change in defense, but when they couldn't be decent against a basic thing like stopping the run, they lost confidence in it.

Makes me think of Harbaugh, Baltimore's new head coach. At the start, his players were very resistant to the way he ran things, but it seems that now, most have bought into his style of coaching.

broncosfanscott
06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Nice article.....was a good read.

While I would love for that to happen and end up going 13-3 I just don't see it at this point unless I see improvement on our flaws last year. Hopefully our injures will stop so that our team can work together at the same time for the whole season. If that can happen I see us improving from last season. If not in record at least more competitive.

Lack of depth at TE?....yeah right :rolleyes:

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Agreed, deano, and glad there are still some non-mush minds left on here.

If anybody thinks the afc east is going to be a cakewalk, they're going to be sadly mistaken, imo. ALL of those teams will be improved...from on-field additions, to coaching additions.

And the same can be said of the NFC South. Get Jake back and healthy, and Carolina is dangerous. NO had a bad year; and Brees is going to have some more weapons to throw too *a certain NYG tightend also?*.

Jax and Cleveland? That is another tough couple of games. Don't fool yourselves.

And anybody here that actually thinks that denver is going to sweep KC or OAK better hope beyond hope that denver gets some good breaks.

I'm still looking at this season as a retooling year.....without the big expectations.

Denver could play twice as good as they did last year, and yet still have the same or close-to-it record when all is said and done.

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 10:51 PM

Some of those games weren't by large margins, though, jr....

I can see NE losing some divisional games this year. I don't think they'll be near as good this year. The NYGiants showed how to beat them.

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Dolphins will be 2-15

Jets will be.......6-10?

Bills will be.........6-10?

You can pencil NE into the playoffs.

Simply because their division SUCKS.

Anything can happen there.

They just hope they dont run into the DENVER BRONCOS.

S'all I gotta sez...........

Dolphins lost 6 games last year by a td or less. I think they'll win some of them this year.
Jets' qb situation was in turmoil last year, plus they lost their running game. They'll be better.
The Bills' qb situation was Also in turmoil last year. It'll be better this year. The only question, is whether Lynch will be on the team or in jail! :lol:

Granted, that division isn't the NFCE. But all three teams have one team in their sights, and they're GOING to improve. It's just a matter of when. :coffee:

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 11:08 PM
www.carolinapanthers.com
Andrew wanted to follow another QB named Jake.

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Dolphins lost 6 games last year by a td or less. I think they'll win some of them this year.
Jets' qb situation was in turmoil last year, plus they lost their running game. They'll be better.
The Bills' qb situation was Also in turmoil last year. It'll be better this year. The only question, is whether Lynch will be on the team or in jail! :lol:

Granted, that division isn't the NFCE. But all three teams have one team in their sights, and they're GOING to improve. It's just a matter of when. :coffee:

All of these teams while they look like cupcakes from last years W-L records we will be playing them in the latter part of the year..

MIA they will have had a half season to get up and running and the team was not all that bad last year in spite of there record.
@CLE a playoff contender
@ATL who knows what will show up here
OAK should be the only easy win in this group unless jwalk is finally back in the line up..
@NYJ could be a great turn around with a really good defense..
KC same shape as we were last year although without a QB of Jay stature
@CAR a contender
BUF With playoff spots on the line if lynch is back in BUF and they stabilize the QB spot this is not a gimme.
@SAN a sure loss unless they totally melt down..

remember folks most of these teams are rebuilding just like DEN is.. by this time in the year they may have healed themselves more than we have..

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day. But Shanny couldn't allow another season like that. Believe you me, he is feeling the heat. I think he realizes his once "only a few players away" team is not as close as he once thought, and is trying to get back to that point. Meaning no more chance taking.
Plus, when you hear your best players grumbling about the scheme/called plays, I imagine it's time to listen to them.

Shanny is growing up before our eyes, imho (sorry jr), and I think these next two years are going to be his time in the sun.

He's got a plan, now lets see it unfold.

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I see a 13-3 season and the playoffs this year. I think we are going to see a surprisingly great season with all the new and old talent. I am sooo excited. Just think, next week is July and that means pre-season is only a little over a month away!!!!

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, Rome wasn't built in a day. But Shanny couldn't allow another season like that. Believe you me, he is feeling the heat. I think he realizes his once "only a few players away" team is not as close as he once thought, and is trying to get back to that point. Meaning no more chance taking.
Plus, when you hear your best players grumbling about the scheme/called plays, I imagine it's time to listen to them.

Shanny is growing up before our eyes, imho (sorry jr), and I think these next two years are going to be his time in the sun.

He's got a plan, now lets see it unfold.

I hope so, My only gripe with the guy is his past failures on DAFT day.. well not just then but his personnel decisions for quite a few years sucked hind teat..

The past 3 years seemed to have turned that around.. Lets hope and pray we are just one or two starters away from a long run at dominating the AFC West starting in 2009

We were so devastated by a couple of starter loses. the past two years.. we had no depth to replace after loss two.. Now it seems like we might have some starters back in place and a back up or two.. But I do not think they will get up to speed till 2009 to be a meaningful team in the playoffs.

People confuse my dislike of his GM duties for hating him.. Considering the skells he has saddled himself with over the past 10 years I'm surprised he has not committed Hara-kiri or Seppuku for the purists....

rcsodak
06-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I hope so, My only gripe with the guy is his past failures on DAFT day.. well not just then but his personnel decisions for quite a few years sucked hind teat..

The past 3 years seemed to have turned that around.. Lets hope and pray we are just one or two starters away from a long run at dominating the AFC West starting in 2009

We were so devastated by a couple of starter loses. the past two years.. we had no depth to replace after loss two.. Now it seems like we might have some starters back in place and a back up or two.. But I do not think they will get up to speed till 2009 to be a meaningful team in the playoffs.

People confuse my dislike of his GM duties for hating him.. Considering the skells he has saddled himself with over the past 10 years I'm surprised he has not committed Hara-kiri or Seppuku for the purists....

Well, this year will be telling for ALOT of GM's/coaches....

...what with the 80man rosters, injuries will be more devastating to starters. We'll soon see how good personnel people are around the league.

omac
06-23-2008, 12:12 AM
All of these teams while they look like cupcakes from last years W-L records we will be playing them in the latter part of the year..

MIA they will have had a half season to get up and running and the team was not all that bad last year in spite of there record.
@CLE a playoff contender
OAK should be the only easy win in this group unless jwalk is finally back in the line up..
@CAR a contender
BUF With playoff spots on the line if lynch is back in BUF and they stabilize the QB spot this is not a gimme.

remember folks most of these teams are rebuilding just like DEN is.. by this time in the year they may have healed themselves more than we have..

Miami has too many question marks in the QB and WR spots. Atlanta should be happy if Ryan can finish the season without getting too beat up. The Jets also continue to have questions in the QB department, plus Thomas Jones wasn't very impressive last season.

I think KC will actually be tougher this season, with upgrades to their OL and DL. Will Croyle finally play with poise to fully utilize his talents? Who knows?

Cleveland, Carolina, and SD are better teams. Buffalo is about our equal. The Raiders will find a way to self destruct ..... maybe Kiffin will be forced to play McFadden more than he wants to. :cheers:

cpr940
06-23-2008, 07:52 AM
I like this article a lot, and I hope its true! To be honest, I'd be happy with a wildcard round win. Hell, I'd be happy watching a preseason game at this point of the year!

Nice enthusiasm, but it assumes that no one else on the schedule got better.

Hoepfully Denver will be healthier, and that will make the biggest diffeence.

But Oakland got better, and KC got younger, but faster.

I think that if the o-line can grind, and Young really is a good as he was as Texas, then double digit wins are possible. Anytime you control the clock, you can win games. Especially since Marshall and Scheffler are two legit targets downfield that keep defenses honest.

But until Denver can bring serious pressure on the QB without gambling with blitzes, they are going to struggle defensively against certain teams. The defensive secondary simply cannot be expected to cover all receivers every play (it's damn near impossible, even for the great ones), and the LB corps is weaker than it was 3 seasons ago when they won the AFC West.

Too many question marks for me to think that Denver will surpass San Diego, unless some major injury occurs to the Chargers.

Retired_Member_001
06-23-2008, 09:07 AM

I think that if the o-line can grind, and Young really is a good as he was as Texas, then double digit wins are possible. Anytime you control the clock, you can win games. Especially since Marshall and Scheffler are two legit targets downfield that keep defenses honest.

But until Denver can bring serious pressure on the QB without gambling with blitzes, they are going to struggle defensively against certain teams. The defensive secondary simply cannot be expected to cover all receivers every play (it's damn near impossible, even for the great ones), and the LB corps is weaker than it was 3 seasons ago when they won the AFC West.

Too many question marks for me to think that Denver will surpass San Diego, unless some major injury occurs to the Chargers.

We don't need to surpass the Chargers. We just need to make the playoffs.

As for the Defensive Line, I think we've got the pass rushers in place. Dumervil and Moss are both quality pass rushers. You never know if someone else will step up or not. I think the main question on the defensive line is whether the Defensive Tackle position will work out. It all lies on Robertson in my opinion. If he can stay healthy and be at least half decent, I think the defensive line will be in buisness.

MasterShake
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM

I know, I know. I'm a Bronco fan but I also know the reality of things. Its just something about the feel of this year. Every year when a large group of sports writers expect us to do good, we stink it up or get blown out in the playoffs. This year, we are under the radar. I remember having a home playoff game in 2005 against a certain defending Superbowl champion when no one gave us a chance, and that was the best game since SuperBowl 33 IMO. I want another year like that. A mostly no-name team with some grizled veterans that are hungry and will pull the youngin's up. My brain says 9-7, but my gut says 11-5, and my bleeding orange heart says 13-3. And my crazy cousin Rob says 19-0. Bottom line-its the off season and its the best time of the year to put your foot in your mouth about your favorite team.

Cugel
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
At this point in the season, everybody's 13-3 and Super-Bowl bound! :laugh:

That's the POINT of the off-season! Everybody's "improved." Everybody's "looking like a winner!" Even Miami and Kansas City. The Lions are sure to make the playoffs this season, and the Atlanta Falcons have their new QB of the future! With a great draft, "they're ready to roll, baby roll!" :coffee:

If it makes you happy to read this stuff, great! Personally, I'll wait and see come September whether the Broncos are really as good as we hope or whether it's going to take another year. My bet right now is "another year" but I could be unduly pessimistic based on last year's disappointment.

Inkana7
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm a massive optimist, but I'm saying 8-8 for this team with a ceiling of 11-5. Last year left me underwhelmed, but at the same time, I feel good about this year. And Mike Shanahan ALWAYS has a great season when the pressures on.

MasterShake
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
At this point in the season, everybody's 13-3 and Super-Bowl bound! :laugh:

That's the POINT of the off-season! Everybody's "improved." Everybody's "looking like a winner!" Even Miami and Kansas City. The Lions are sure to make the playoffs this season, and the Atlanta Falcons have their new QB of the future! With a great draft, "they're ready to roll, baby roll!" :coffee:

If it makes you happy to read this stuff, great! Personally, I'll wait and see come September whether the Broncos are really as good as we hope or whether it's going to take another year. My bet right now is "another year" but I could be unduly pessimistic based on last year's disappointment.

Fair enough. I'm not going to try to change your mind.....Say, do you want to come by my house this weekend? I have some orange and blue kool aid that I think you may just like....:D

Thnikkaman
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
For all you glass-half-empty guys (Jrwiz and the like). I think you are missing the point of this article. Its got me pumped up for late August early September. I feel way better about this team now than I did when we beat the Vikes in a meaningless game last December. The bronx could very well go 7-9 or 8-8, but I sure as hell am not going to believe it until we get that 7th loss.

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
For all you glass-half-empty guys (Jrwiz and the like). I think you are missing the point of this article. Its got me pumped up for late August early September. I feel way better about this team now than I did when we beat the Vikes in a meaningless game last December. The bronx could very well go 7-9 or 8-8, but I sure as hell am not going to believe it until we get that 7th loss.

I too am more pumped up after last seasons debacle, with the changes made in the off season.

Does that make me feel this team that very well could have been 3-13 last year had it not been for a HOF kicker that is no longer on the team, will go to 13-3 like some hope for.. NO way..

They have improved in a lot of areas ON PAPER.. We got rid of our top producing KICKER over the past almost two decades, the top WR from the year before (2006), a top rated RB that was ballyhooed by almost everyone just this time last year. Not to mention completely changing the LB corp again this year..

A new OC DC, AGAIN..

The only three players that had banner years last year an all world CB, a third year QB and A WR that will not be able to catch a ball until TC because of a stupid stunt. Instead of keeping up with this game the past couple of months he is going to be coming in cooler than he did last year..

I see alot of potential for this team but alot of things are going to have to fall into place real quick for it to be more than a 8-8 season IMHO..

cpr940
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM

I don't think a wild card will come out of the West. I look at the South and North again. It's win the division or go home.

omac
06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I too am more pumped up after last seasons debacle, with the changes made in the off season.

Does that make me feel this team that very well could have been 3-13 last year had it not been for a HOF kicker that is no longer on the team, will go to 13-3 like some hope for.. NO way..

They have improved in a lot of areas ON PAPER.. We got rid of our top producing KICKER over the past almost two decades, the top WR from the year before (2006), a top rated RB that was ballyhooed by almost everyone just this time last year. Not to mention completely changing the LB corp again this year..

A new OC DC, AGAIN..

The only three players that had banner years last year an all world CB, a third year QB and A WR that will not be able to catch a ball until TC because of a stupid stunt. Instead of keeping up with this game the past couple of months he is going to be coming in cooler than he did last year..

I see alot of potential for this team but alot of things are going to have to fall into place real quick for it to be more than a 8-8 season IMHO..

Grrrrr! .... those are actually good points. :D

On a high note, add Dumerville to the list of banner year players, and Graham, Stokley, and Scheffler were solid throughout when they weren't injured. I also think Champ got burned more than usual, but that probably had more to do with him helping out against the run. And though Bly gets burned for gambling, he plays with a lot of heart; I remember the game he played well and he couldn't even lift one arm.

On the Elam note, Matt Prater has said he hasn't missed a kick during the live portions of practices. It isn't game conditions, but hopefully, we have our kicker. :cheers:

dekers
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I see Denver going 9-7 or 10-6, but not 13-3. I believe with one or two more solid drafts Denver will be 13-3. As far as this season goes , lets Just make it to the playoffs. Anything can happen then.

Retired_Member_001
06-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I don't think a wild card will come out of the West. I look at the South and North again. It's win the division or go home.

I just don't think we can suprass the Chargers yet. All we have to do is hope that one of the playoff bound teams from the other divisions messes up. It always happens. Someone always does much worse than anyone expected them too. Some team always does much better than everyone expected them too. We just need to step up when we get our chance.

topscribe
06-24-2008, 11:09 AM
I just don't think we can suprass the Chargers yet. All we have to do is hope that one of the playoff bound teams from the other divisions messes up. It always happens. Someone always does much worse than anyone expected them too. Some team always does much better than everyone expected them too. We just need to step up when we get our chance.

The main thing I'm looking for against the Chargers is, will the Broncos give
them a game? Win or lose, will they look respectable on the field? If so, then
we will have seen significant progress. I'm really looking forward to two games
in particular: Dallas in the preseason and the first game against SD. Those, I
believe, will speak volumes, as they say.

-----

Lonestar
06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
The main thing I'm looking for against the Chargers is, will the Broncos give
them a game? Win or lose, will they look respectable on the field? If so, then
we will have seen significant progress. I'm really looking forward to two games
in particular: Dallas in the preseason and the first game against SD. Those, I
believe, will speak volumes, as they say.

-----

I do not think you can glean much of anything out of preseason games except the next to last one.. where most of the starters play most of the game.. the rest are total wastes IMO.. Just a few chances for a couple of players to make the team as backups....

Unless the team dominates or wins with backups on the field looking respectable is not an option..

Nothing IMHO worse than a respectable loss..

Retired_Member_001
06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I do not think you can glean much of anything out of preseason games except the next to last one.. where most of the starters play most of the game.. the rest are total wastes IMO.. Just a few chances for a couple of players to make the team as backups....

Unless the team dominates or wins with backups on the field looking respectable is not an option..

Nothing IMHO worse than a respectable loss..

I think the first pre-season game last year put doubts in our minds about the Defensive Line. Everyone thought we would have a good line, but that game put doubts in everbodies mind. Everyone said, " Ah well, it's only pre-season". At the end of the pre-season though, there were some bigger doubts going around.

I definitely believe the pre-season can reveal a little.

tubby
06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Some good news is we are going back to Coyer's defense. In his 3 years here, we had a top 10 scoring D every year. That gives me some hope.

:defense:

Lonestar
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Some good news is we are going back to Coyer's defense. In his 3 years here, we had a top 10 scoring D every year. That gives me some hope.

:defense:

Bend, but don't break, blitz because we have no pass rush..

I can hardly wait.

Den21vsBal19
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM

I can hardly wait.
Hopefully having Doom at end will make a difference (we need a fingers crossed smiley)

Otherwise, we're screwed

tubby
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM

I can hardly wait.

We have different personnel upfront now. Maybe we can get a rush?

Those top 10 scoring defenses would have been GREAT with a pass rush.

Lonestar
06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
We have different personnel upfront now. Maybe we can get a rush?

Those top 10 scoring defenses would have been GREAT with a pass rush.

We has some decent DL guys during coyers time here also, but since he was an Ex LB he placed NO emphasis on anything but the SS annd LB blitz.

nevcraw
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I do see a turn around this year. Not going predict a record but the gut says Cutler has become the bonified leader on offense, and with this giant leap in confidence he will keep the team in every game. The defense will go back to stopping the run as in years past whcih will increase turnovers.

If they are going to more than just turn it around they will have to show giant improvement in the following areas..
Red zone scoring: does young master bates have some rinkles to throw in there? will Scheff become dominant Will any running back or FB become the guy that can punch it with 4 yards to go?
Field position: Lot is counting Royal and the ST to improve in this area. Starting every drive at the 12-15 yd. line will not get it done.
QB pressure on 3rd. down: I am convinced they will improve the run stopping, but just like the Plummer years when they could stop the run, can they get off the field on 3rd down? Will the the slew of young DE's keep the QB from throwing for a 20 yarder on 3rd and long??
It sure will be fun to watch! I am excited about the new unheralded talent like Hillis, Royal, Torrain, etc.. 1 month and 1 day to training camp..

MasterShake
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I do see a turn around this year. Not going predict a record but the gut says Cutler has become the bonified leader on offense, and with this giant leap in confidence he will keep the team in every game. The defense will go back to stopping the run as in years past whcih will increase turnovers.

If they are going to more than just turn it around they will have to show giant improvement in the following areas..
Red zone scoring: does young master bates have some rinkles to throw in there? will Scheff become dominant Will any running back or FB become the guy that can punch it with 4 yards to go?
Field position: Lot is counting Royal and the ST to improve in this area. Starting every drive at the 12-15 yd. line will not get it done.
QB pressure on 3rd. down: I am convinced they will improve the run stopping, but just like the Plummer years when they could stop the run, can they get off the field on 3rd down? Will the the slew of young DE's keep the QB from throwing for a 20 yarder on 3rd and long??
It sure will be fun to watch! I am excited about the new unheralded talent like Hillis, Royal, Torrain, etc.. 1 month and 1 day to training camp..

You just wanted to say "Master Bates"....:D

Bill Devaroe
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM

WE JUST NEED tHAT D LINE TO COME TOGETHAR AND WE WILL BE LOOKIN SWEET. JARVIS MOSS NEEDS TO PAY OF BIGHTIME!!!

Timmy!
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
IMO,

Low: 7-9
High: 12-4.

You can put me on record for 10-6.

slim
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Hells Ya The Broncs Should Be 13-3 Easy. As Long As That Fool On Teh Dl Reconize.

slim
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
WE JUST NEED tHAT D LINE TO COME TOGETHAR AND WE WILL BE LOOKIN SWEET. JARVIS MOSS NEEDS TO PAY OF BIGHTIME!!!

I don't know if you realize this, but your capslock seems to be stuck.

shank
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM

why are you yelling?

BCJ
06-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Sometimes, you have a great dream. You sleep an hour longer because it is soooo good that you dont want to wake up to reality. And when you stop hitting the snooze button, you roll out of bed and immediatley start to write what you were dreaming about. You work on it for hours to make it as much of it believable just like the dream. Game winning kicks, unity on the team, Cutler leading the AFC in every catagory, etc. is now translated from thoughts to paper to share with everyone in the internet world. You will call this "How the Broncos are going 13 and 3". You dont put any other team stock that they got better in the offseason. Nope! Everyone , infact, got worse! Trips to New England and San Diego are tough trips and if those are the two out of three losses, so be it! Give me the other 6 games on the road and 8 at home and we will only lose one of those games! YES! We are back from mediocracy. I know we are 7 and 9, but my dream had the defense plugging every hole, offense scoring TDs in the redzone, our inexperienced kicker winning games, etc. Before, you even try to refute this claim, let me hop back in bed so I can go back to LA LA land where we go 13 and 3 in 2008. ZZZZZZZZ

Thnikkaman
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Sometimes, you have a great dream. You sleep an hour longer because it is soooo good that you dont want to wake up to reality. And when you stop hitting the snooze button, you roll out of bed and immediatley start to write what you were dreaming about. You work on it for hours to make it as much of it believable just like the dream. Game winning kicks, unity on the team, Cutler leading the AFC in every catagory, etc. is now translated from thoughts to paper to share with everyone in the internet world. You will call this "How the Broncos are going 13 and 3". You dont put any other team stock that they got better in the offseason. Nope! Everyone , infact, got worse! Trips to New England and San Diego are tough trips and if those are the two out of three losses, so be it! Give me the other 6 games on the road and 8 at home and we will only lose one of those games! YES! We are back from mediocracy. I know we are 7 and 9, but my dream had the defense plugging every hole, offense scoring TDs in the redzone, our inexperienced kicker winning games, etc. Before, you even try to refute this claim, let me hop back in bed so I can go back to LA LA land where we go 13 and 3 in 2008. ZZZZZZZZ

Your post and your sig are contradictions of one another.

BCJ
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Your post and your sig are contradictions of one another.

You mean I root for my team to win, but realize BEFORE the season even starts that I think it is a pipe dream that we go 13 and 3? Do you mean that I would rather win a game over a better draft pick but than I think we are not going 13 and 3 based on the opinion I want a better draft pick? Try explaining this one instead of a complete moronic one liner. So, if I dont think we are going 13 and 3, I am giving up on my Broncos? I deserve better than that. Dont offer me any of your purple kool aid. If this team goes 13 and 3, it is more than what was blogged.

Bizzarro
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think 13-3 is in the books with our personell changes, but I would at least hope for a shot at the playoffs with maybe 10 wins if we can.

Just a lot of questions in my mind about our starting line up on both sides of the ball.

shank
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think 13-3 is in the books with our personell changes, but I would at least hope for a shot at the playoffs with maybe 10 wins if we can.

Just a lot of questions in my mind about our starting line up on both sides of the ball.

are you still talking backwards? if so, then i completely disagree.

Lonestar
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
:bump:

does anyone still feel this is a 13-3 teams?

honz
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM

No, but I think 10-6 and even 11-5 are very reasonable expectations. I suspect we will be in playoff hunt at the end of the season and i would guess right now that we indeed make the playoffs.

red98
08-26-2008, 11:08 PM

NO! I feel this is a 14-2 team!!!

But then, I am eternally optimistic...

Timmy!
08-26-2008, 11:45 PM
I feel better about the Broncos now then I did in June.....

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I feel better about the Broncos too compared to before camp. That said I still think this defense needs to be overhauled like the offense has. I had predicted 8-8 for the season but will up that to 9-7 or maybe 10-6.

red98
08-27-2008, 12:09 AM
I feel better about the Broncos too compared to before camp. That said I still think this defense needs to be overhauled like the offense has. I had predicted 8-8 for the season but will up that to 9-7 or maybe 10-6.

Shanny says we are making the playoffs!

So, come on, come on, commit to that 10-6, you can do it.... :D:

Superchop 7
08-27-2008, 12:17 AM
If they spread the field......

We can beat anybody.

This team is loaded.

And the o-line is solid.

weazel
08-27-2008, 12:51 AM
13-3 ?????

I am going to try and be positive, I see maybe 9-7

weazel
08-27-2008, 12:52 AM
If they spread the field......

We can beat anybody.

This team is loaded.

And the o-line is solid.

too bad the other team gets to have the ball as well.

red98
08-27-2008, 12:58 AM
too bad the other team gets to have the ball as well.

Stupid other teams :tsk:

Dreadnought
08-27-2008, 05:34 AM
I see 10-6, 11-5 as well. We end up in the top 5 for Yards per game, and middle of the road defensively; better than last year, but not quite good enough to get deep into the Playoffs. The 08 Broncos will be a nasty team to play, because they really will be able to beat any team in the NFL when the offense is clicking - and we'll totally flub a game or two we have no business losing.

I think in some ways we'll be a bit like the 2000 team; different style maybe, and similar end results.

JONtheBRONCO
08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I feel very good about our Broncos after pre-season.

Mike
08-27-2008, 08:56 AM

@CLE a playoff contender
@CAR a contender

Have you guys been watching these teams play in the preseason?

KC looks like a #1 draft contender
Oakland looks not much better...plus they have instability between the coach and owner
Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, and Miami won't be able to keep up with our offense
I have only seen the Browns play one game (last week)...they looked dreadful...not even close to a playoff contender

I know that it is hard to judge anything by the preseason...but...eh. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver split with Oakland...they will sweep KC...get swept by SD...good chance to beat TB, Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, Miami, Cleveland...probably lose to NE and Jax...toss up against the Jets and Saints. No doubt they will lose a game or two they should win...but overall I think a lot of teams they will face will struggle to keep up with Denver's offense.

I think Denver could finish anywhere from 9-7 and 12-4. Most likely they will finish 10-6...11-5 though.

MasterShake
08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
11 wins gets us the division IMO. Anything can happen.

Watchthemiddle
08-27-2008, 11:00 AM
11 wins gets us the division IMO. Anything can happen.

I think in order for us to make the playoffs, we have to win the West. I don't see us being able to go in as a WC. The wild card teams that I see in the running is Cleveland, Jax, Ten, Houston, San Diego and maybe the Jets.

Kaylore
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
If we can get on one of those turnover streaks, we can really make some noise this year. I think another year of letting the young talent on both sides of the ball develop and then next year in the draft we can get some real playmakers at safety and linebacker to begin to fill the holes. We're closer than people think.

WARHORSE
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
13-3?

No.

19-0?

Yeah baby.

I dont predict Broncos losses........ever.

That being said, I believe this offensive line has the makings for some really dominant football. Theyre just now getting it together, and yet theyre mauling some people in the run game. When youre doing that, the pass protection is almost unneccessary.........but we got that covered too. Clady is quick enough and smooth enough to stop anyone. And the Broncos linemen are hitting two, sometimes three defenders on specific run plays.

This, on top of Cutlers growth in the check-down, and the skilled players that we have there for catch the ball, will make for some dominating drives against opposing defenses. Heart killing drives. Defense breaking drives. Drives that frustrate and eat clock. Drives that keep opposing offenses off the field.

That, coupled with the ability to stop the run on defense, and you have a very potent team. Teams have to throw at Champ and the boys all day, and probably have to dink and dunk it all the way down the field.......hard to do when you start from the 20 or worse all the time.

Im not overly enthusiastic...........but................19-0.:coffee:

Laugh.

I dont care.:coffee:

underrated29
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Jax and San are shoe ins for the playoffs. We could make a wild card. There is no way possible for us to finish less than 10-6. With our schedule and such I just can not comprehend how we dont go 11-5. *things stay the same, that is, like no edell shepards*

We need a MLB Bad- We need a pass rush Bad, and a Saftey badly. HOwever the guys we have now and our new/old scheme should keep us in contention.

Simple Jaded
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Larry Coyer was fired because of the lack of talent on the defensive line, same for Bates (Even Rhodes?)......something tells me that Slowik will be hard-pressed to avoid the same fate.

This team will not be 13-3 this year unless they have fixed the defensive line, smoke and mirrors will more than likely just get Slowik Scapegoated in the end. In which case, Shanahan may have to coach the defense himself (As if he's not already) in 09 because he may not be able to convince another DC to take the job.

A meddling HC, a scapegoating GM and pathetic talent on the D-line, no DC worth his salt wants that job.

The Broncos need to fix the D-line, and unless that's magically happened they're a 10-6 team with 8-8/7-9 talent and a weak schedule......

rcsodak
08-27-2008, 11:48 AM

As for the Defensive Line, I think we've got the pass rushers in place. Dumervil and Moss are both quality pass rushers. You never know if someone else will step up or not. I think the main question on the defensive line is whether the Defensive Tackle position will work out. It all lies on Robertson in my opinion. If he can stay healthy and be at least half decent, I think the defensive line will be in buisness.

Sorry, wook, but how can you say Moss is a "quality pass rusher(s)"? He was hurt most of last year...and thus far, hasn't improved to where he's pushing Engleburthumperdink!

With D'ville hurt, it's going to put more pressure on Moss....can he step up?
And Crowder isn't any better, imho....as I predicted when he was drafted. I'm not one of his jock riders.

It's up to EE making the team, and playing up to his #1 draft status, until the young'ens can overtake him....Robertson needs to stay healthy, and Thomas needs to continue improving, before this team makes the playoffs.

Thnikkaman
08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, wook, but how can you say Moss is a "quality pass rusher(s)"? He was hurt most of last year...and thus far, hasn't improved to where he's pushing Engleburthumperdink!

With D'ville hurt, it's going to put more pressure on Moss....can he step up?
And Crowder isn't any better, imho....as I predicted when he was drafted. I'm not one of his jock riders.

It's up to EE making the team, and playing up to his #1 draft status, until the young'ens can overtake him....Robertson needs to stay healthy, and Thomas needs to continue improving, before this team makes the playoffs.

Call me a homer, but I seriously hope both you and Link are eating a big piece of Crow in December.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Call me a homer, but I seriously hope both you and Link are eating a big piece of Crow in December.

RC dissed Tim Crowder, that makes me sad.

Simple Jaded
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
The only established threat Denver has at DE is Dumervil, and he's not even a starter, he's a pass rush specialist. He's a starter in name only because the position has been neglected for so long.

Engleberger is a role player, Ekuban is an over the hill role player coming off an achilles injury and Moss/Crowder/Carrington have a long way to go.

DT isn't much better, but at least Robertson and Thomas should be pretty solid, the rest are scrubs with the possible exception of Peterson.

McKinley, Harris and Clemons are barely worth talking about at this point......Harris and Clemons are young enough to develop if they can, but McKinley is a Never-was.

The Broncos need to put every effort humanly possible into developing Moss and Crowder, they are pivotal, imo......

underrated29
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
They will be.

We will make the playoffs this year. No doubt!

Even though we dont get a lot of pressure off of our 4 man front. Slow likes to blitz the shit out of people and we shall see a lot of that. There will be a lot of pressure this year from our blitzes. We just need to make sure that we dont give up the big play on our blitz. But i believe that we have the corners to ensure just that.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Larry Coyer was fired because of the lack of talent on the defensive line, same for Bates (Even Rhodes?)......something tells me that Slowik will be hard-pressed to avoid the same fate.

This team will not be 13-3 this year unless they have fixed the defensive line, smoke and mirrors will more than likely just get Slowik Scapegoated in the end. In which case, Shanahan may have to coach the defense himself (As if he's not already) in 09 because he may not be able to convince another DC to take the job.

A meddling HC, a scapegoating GM and pathetic talent on the D-line, no DC worth his salt wants that job.

The Broncos need to fix the D-line, and unless that's magically happened they're a 10-6 team with 8-8/7-9 talent and a weak schedule......

I suspect your right on the mark with this assessment.

The only hope this team has of making the playoffs it a complete collapse of SAN. As there is just to much quality other teams in the AFC. IMO

Your correct about getting a quality DC to come in here and turning the D around. mikey has the rep as a pariah right now.. He has ran through 3-4 quality guys and either ran them off or flat fired them when they did not cow-tow to the mastermind.. the latest being Bates..

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 12:26 PM
They will be.

Even though we dont get a lot of pressure off of our 4 man front. Slow likes to blitz the shit out of people and we shall see a lot of that. There will be a lot of pressure this year from our blitzes. We just need to make sure that we dont give up the big play on our blitz. But i believe that we have the corners to ensure just that.

you live and die by the blitz if you run into a great QB he is going to eat you alive.. once th LB is out of their area of responsibility and the way we play off the WR they will hit the underneath stuff until the cows come home..

Sorry but DL pressure is paramount to having a successful Defense as it is on offense you win and lose games on the LOS..

While we have started down the road to fixing the DL something that needed to happen via the draft 5-6 years ago mikey in his infinite wisdom kept brining in scrubs and over the hill players via FA..

We have some hope with Roberson and Thomas but they are not going to play 100% of the snaps this year and when they go out it is weak at best.... Perhaps this is why Powell is on PUP they have hopes he can be that guy in OCT. We still do not have a run stopping DE. and the pass rushing one is still developing..

MLB is as we speak a joke and not sure the Sam is fixed.. on top of that Safety IMO is weaker than it was last year..

Playoffs probably not going to happen without all of the suns, moons and stars lining up just right.. IN other words we have to have a lot of help Instead of being in control of our own destiny like NE, IND, JAX, SAN, PIT and then HOU, TEN seem to have.

jhns
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I suspect your right on the mark with this assessment.

The only hope this team has of making the playoffs it a complete collapse of SAN. As there is just to much quality other teams in the AFC. IMO

Your correct about getting a quality DC to come in here and turning the D around. mikey has the rep as a pariah right now.. He has ran through 3-4 quality guys and either ran them off or flat fired them when they did not cow-tow to the mastermind.. the latest being Bates..

So you saw improvement under Bates and think we should still be using his defense?

Do you really want Bates to still be our coordinator? How about Coyer?

If the answer is yes, I can't imagine why. If the answer is no, why are you trying to use it against Shanny?

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
So you saw improvement under Bates and think we should still be using his defense?

Do you really want Bates to still be our coordinator? How about Coyer?

If the answer is yes, I can't imagine why. If the answer is no, why are you trying to use it against Shanny?

Did I like the Bates hiring, sure I did he worked magic in MIA but then he had talent to work with.. When he got to DEN the cupboard was bare and to a degree still is.. still need another qualtiy DT to spell thomas and Roberston. Have one decent pass rushing DE but can't stop the run to save his soul. MLB is weak at best with Niko playing there and pathetic with i can't tackle
webster. Safety ahahahaha. We have two DT's a part time DE, a LB and 1.5 CB's..

Coyer was brilliant in designing schemes when he had a week to do so.. But could not make a change during halftime or on the fly..
Ray rodes was a brilliant Defensive guru.. but mikey ran him off also.
Can't remember the other DC name off the top of my head.. was with the SB teams..

If you are going to hire someone then you allow him to do his job.. You do not meddle in his area.. delegate responsibility and hold them accountable.

Lead or get the hell out of the way and allow someone else to do so..

I think everyone here knows that mikey has to have the final say in every thing and until he allows folks to do there jobs we will be an average team.. IMO

Mikey has placed all the marbles in one bag and that is Jay.. we all know that until Manning had a decent defense he won alot of division titles but always lost the titles.. Same goes for PIT, and NE you have to have balance..

Offense wins games defense wins titles..

Simple Jaded
08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
It's the GM's fault that Coyer had a bunch of stiffs on the d-line, we will never know what could have been if Coyer had been given what other DC's are.

The Broncos have annually had the worst d-line roster top to bottom, or close to it, for years......that's Shanahan's fault and nobody else.

Coyer had to blitz the second the team got off the bus, it made a second year QB look like Joe Montana in the playoffs.

Small wonder that Pryce complained about the way he was used in Denver, but I don't think Coyer had much of a choice considering the rest of the lineman he had......

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
It's the GM's fault that Coyer had a bunch of stiffs on the d-line, we will never know what could have been if Coyer had been given what other DC's are.

The Broncos have annually had the worst d-line roster top to bottom, or close to it, for years......that's Shanahan's fault and nobody else.

Coyer had to blitz the second the team got off the bus, it made a second year QB look like Joe Montana in the playoffs.

Small wonder that Pryce complained about the way he was used in Denver, but I don't think Coyer had much of a choice considering the rest of the lineman he had......

actually they had a couple of decent DE berry and Hayward but they let them get away.. who allowed that to happen mikey in his indecision of re signing them before they hit FA..

Frankly all the ills of this team fall into Mikey lap as a GM, VP football ops or what ever the hell he is.. It is his way or the highway..

Mastermind with an EGO nothing IMO worse..

topscribe
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
If we can get on one of those turnover streaks, we can really make some noise this year. I think another year of letting the young talent on both sides of the ball develop and then next year in the draft we can get some real playmakers at safety and linebacker to begin to fill the holes. We're closer than people think.

I agree with you regarding how close the Broncos are. I don't believe they're
13-3 close, but they are close.

While I would not mind a stud MLB joining the Broncos next year, I believe we
have a pretty good group there now. It is one of the positions where there is
real depth.

Depth is a problem, however, among some other positions on the team, at
least according to how the seconds and thirds performed against Dallas
and Green Bay. This upcoming game against the Cardinals will reveal much
in that area.

But the Broncos will need to stay healthy at safety and on the DL, as well
as RB, to achieve Shanny's playoff goals. And I see nothing behind Cutler,
so if he goes down, we can start speculating about that stud MLB because
we will be in the position to draft one, if you get my drift.

-----

LordTrychon
08-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Was I the only one who saw something in an article a few months back about Coyer leaving the team for family related reasons, and not actually being fired?

I'm too lazy to do the research myself... so go ahead and flame me for it. :laugh:

Simple Jaded
08-27-2008, 12:58 PM
actually they had a couple of decent DE berry and Hayward but they let them get away.. who allowed that to happen mikey in his indecision of re signing them before they hit FA..

Frankly all the ills of this team fall into Mikey lap as a GM, VP football ops or what ever the hell he is.. It is his way or the highway..

That proves the point, Shanahan has neglected the d-line for too long.

Berry and Hayward were not elite players, they were above average and were definitely overpaid by their new teams, but when you are as incompetent at finding DE's as Shanahan obviously is, you have to consider overpaying to keep from having to replace the ones you did find.

When a blind squirrel finds an acorn he should do what he can to keep it......

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 01:06 PM
That proves the point, Shanahan has neglected the d-line for too long.

Berry and Hayward were not elite players, they were above average and were definitely overpaid by their new teams, but when you are as incompetent at finding DE's as Shanahan obviously is, you have to consider overpaying to keep from having to replace the ones you did find.

When a blind squirrel finds an acorn he should do what he can to keep it......

had either of these two been resigned before their final year they most likely would have been alot cheaper.. But NO we had to see what they could do in their final year and shazam they got HUGE contracts..

our only DL picks on day one during mikeys regime are
3 96 Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State
2 51 Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
3 87 Reggie Hayward DE Iowa State
2 58 Montae Reagor DE Texas Tech
1 28 Trevor Pryce DT Clemson
3 78 Mark Campbell DT Florida

only price and Hayward were worth a crap out of the pitiful bunch

Mikey has never placed a priority on DL NEVER it has always been a LB based defense and while we have always till last year had great LBs they have not ever been earth shattering..

every playoff games we have played since the superbowls the defense was toasted..

rcsodak
08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
They will be.

I remember what happened the last time they "blitz(ed) the shit out of people", in the AFCC against Pitt. You can have the best secondary, but without pressure, AS PROVEN IN LAST YEAR'S SUPERBOWL, you'll still get eaten alive with the dink-dunks and/or bombs. Simple truth....sadly.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Was I the only one who saw something in an article a few months back about Coyer leaving the team for family related reasons, and not actually being fired?

I'm too lazy to do the research myself... so go ahead and flame me for it. :laugh:

Get off your ass and get to work.

No room for idlers around here.

-----

rcsodak
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM

Still will argue about those two, jr.....

.....proof's in the pudding, my friend. *wink*

LordTrychon
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Get off your ass and get to work.

No room for idlers around here.

-----

Wait...

Do you mean get to work as in... work harder at my posting?

Or get to work as in I shouldn't be posting while I work? (hence the lack of research time) :confused:

(two days of work left... two days of work left...)

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I remember what happened the last time they "blitz(ed) the shit out of people", in the AFCC against Pitt. You can have the best secondary, but without pressure, AS PROVEN IN LAST YEAR'S SUPERBOWL, you'll still get eaten alive with the dink-dunks and/or bombs. Simple truth....sadly.

If the Broncos do not mount at least a decent pass rush from the defensive
line, there will be no postseason for them.

Bottom line.

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Bottom line.

-----

on this we agree.. DL OL you win and lose on the LOS..

rcsodak
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Bottom line.

-----

succinctly put, top

topscribe
08-27-2008, 01:29 PM
on this we agree.. DL OL you win and lose on the LOS..

Exactly. The Broncos don't necessarily have to emulate the NYG performance
in the Super Bowl. They just have to have an average pass rush from their
line, which they do not yet. And that worries me as the season approaches.

And the blitz bells and whistles, ala 2005, are not going to work this year. We
do not have Coyer's genius with us anymore.

-----

rcsodak
08-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Wow...a puff piece written by a team's fan....

...whodathunkit!?! :laugh:

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Exactly. The Broncos don't necessarily have to emulate the NYG performance
in the Super Bowl. They just have to have an average pass rush from their
line, which they do not yet. And that worries me as the season approaches.

And the blitz bells and whistles, ala 2005, are not going to work this year. We
do not have Coyer's genius with us anymore.

-----

But there is no reason we can't not have a great DL one that allows the LB's to make plays and occasionally throw a blitz in to kill the QB.. Destroy timing..

Right now I'm not even sure the LB can even make a decent blitz that is how pathetic the LB core is...

NYG DL per their web site

OSI UMENYIORA DE 42TACKLES 13 sacks
Originally a 2nd round (56th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2003.
RENALDO WYNN DE
Originally a 1st round (21st pick overall) draft choice by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1997…Signed as a free agent by the Washington Redskins on March 28, 2002…Released by Washington on Sept. 2, 2007…Signed by New Orleans Saints on Sept. 10, 2007…Signed by the Giants on June 2, 2008.

JUSTIN TUCK DE 63TACKLES 10 sacks
Originally a 3rd round (74th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2005.

DAVE TOLLEFSON DE 3TACKLES 0 sacks
Originally a 7th round (253rd pick overall) draft choice by the Green Bay Packers in 2006…Waived by the Packers on Sept. 2, 2006…Signed to the Packers’ practice squad on Sept. 4, 2006…Signed by the Oakland Raiders on Jan. 23, 2007…Waived by the Raiders on Sept. 1, 2007…Signed to the Raiders’ practice squad on Sept. 3, 2007…Signed by the Giants on Oct. 2, 2007.

FRED ROBBINS DT 42TACKLES 5.5 sacks
Originally a 2nd round (55th pick overall) draft choice by the Minnesota Vikings in 2000…Signed by the Giants as an unrestricted free agent on March 8, 2004.

OGEMDI NWAGBUO DT
NA

ALEX MORROW DE
NA

RODNEY LEISLE DT
Originally a 5th round (139th pick overall) draft choice by the New Orleans Saints in 2004…Waived by the Saints on Sept. 2, 2007...Signed by the Giants as a free agent on January 9, 2008.

MATHIAS KIWANUKA DE 44TACKLES 4.5 sacks
Originally a 1st round (32nd pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2006.

WALLACE GILBERRY DE
NA

BARRY COFIELD DT
Originally a 4th round (124th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2006.

JEREMY CLARK DT
NA

JAY ALFORD DT
Originally a 3rd round (81st pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2007

As you can see they made a priority of drafting decent players in the 3-4 rounds..

topscribe
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
But there is no reason we can't not have a great DL one that allows the LB's to make plays and occasionally throw a blitz in to kill the QB.. Destroy timing..

Right now I'm not even sure the LB can even make a decent blitz that is how pathetic the LB core is...

NYG DL per their web site

OSI UMENYIORA DE 42TACKLES 13 sacks
Originally a 2nd round (56th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2003.
RENALDO WYNN DE
Originally a 1st round (21st pick overall) draft choice by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1997…Signed as a free agent by the Washington Redskins on March 28, 2002…Released by Washington on Sept. 2, 2007…Signed by New Orleans Saints on Sept. 10, 2007…Signed by the Giants on June 2, 2008.

JUSTIN TUCK DE 63TACKLES 10 sacks
Originally a 3rd round (74th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2005.

DAVE TOLLEFSON DE 3TACKLES 0 sacks
Originally a 7th round (253rd pick overall) draft choice by the Green Bay Packers in 2006…Waived by the Packers on Sept. 2, 2006…Signed to the Packers’ practice squad on Sept. 4, 2006…Signed by the Oakland Raiders on Jan. 23, 2007…Waived by the Raiders on Sept. 1, 2007…Signed to the Raiders’ practice squad on Sept. 3, 2007…Signed by the Giants on Oct. 2, 2007.

FRED ROBBINS DT 42TACKLES 5.5 sacks
Originally a 2nd round (55th pick overall) draft choice by the Minnesota Vikings in 2000…Signed by the Giants as an unrestricted free agent on March 8, 2004.

OGEMDI NWAGBUO DT
NA

ALEX MORROW DE
NA

RODNEY LEISLE DT
Originally a 5th round (139th pick overall) draft choice by the New Orleans Saints in 2004…Waived by the Saints on Sept. 2, 2007...Signed by the Giants as a free agent on January 9, 2008.

MATHIAS KIWANUKA DE 44TACKLES 4.5 sacks
Originally a 1st round (32nd pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2006.

WALLACE GILBERRY DE
NA

BARRY COFIELD DT
Originally a 4th round (124th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2006.

JEREMY CLARK DT
NA

JAY ALFORD DT
Originally a 3rd round (81st pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2007

As you can see they made a priority of drafting decent players in the 3-4 rounds..

Actually, I like our LBs, JR. I expect D.J. to put in a Pro Bowl year, and
Boss is better than most think, IMO. Moreover, they showed surprising
depth with the way Winborn and Woodyard filled in.

MLB is a concern, of course, but it should be competent.

The depth at DT and DE are what have me really concerned, especially
with Ekuban's struggles with his health. I believe Ekuban is key to that line
this year. It really stinks that Powell was hurt because it seems there is a
sheer dropoff at DT behind Robertson and Thomas.

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Actually, I like our LBs, JR. I expect D.J. to put in a Pro Bowl year, and
Boss is better than most think, IMO. Moreover, they showed surprising
depth with the way Winborn and Woodyard filled in.

MLB is a concern, of course, but it should be competent.

The depth at DT and DE are what have me really concerned, especially
with Ekuban's struggles with his health. I believe Ekuban is key to that line
this year. It really stinks that Powell was hurt because it seems there is a
sheer dropoff at DT behind Robertson and Thomas.

-----

I like Woodyard and Winborn but they are raw.. I hope the maroons in the FO do not cut Woodyard..

Boss has shown me nothing and being hurt is not helping him as we speak.. the MLB webster is a joke period. I;d rather him Niko there at least learning the position IF he is in place he will make the tackle.. I do not have any faith that webster will..

Yes DJ could have an all pro year.. but alot of that depends on a decent DL and other LB to help out somewhat and Right now I do not see that happening..

I do not see any huge improvement over last years OTHER than they seem to like the DC this year..

OMorange&blue
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
DT play is MUCH better.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
DT play is MUCH better.

lets see from none to better.. I can agree with that..

It was so bad last year mickey the mope would be an improvement..

Timmy!
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
The last 3 pages are like pulling teeth.....

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I like Woodyard and Winborn but they are raw.. I hope the maroons in the FO do not cut Woodyard..

Boss has shown me nothing and being hurt is not helping him as we speak.. the MLB webster is a joke period. I;d rather him Niko there at least learning the position IF he is in place he will make the tackle.. I do not have any faith that webster will..

Yes DJ could have an all pro year.. but alot of that depends on a decent DL and other LB to help out somewhat and Right now I do not see that happening..

I do not see any huge improvement over last years OTHER than they seem to like the DC this year..

:shocked: C'mon, Jim. You don't see improvement over last year? D.J.
playing out of his natural position, Webster at SAM, out of his natural
position, and Ian "El Matador" Gold at WILL? You've got to be kidding.

And DT is decent, i.e., the starters. Problem is, the starters need a blow
once in a while, and that is what those behind them do: blow.

But I don't think Woodyard is going anywhere, unless they really play the
idiot and try to sneak him onto PS. As you know, other teams know what
the Broncos have, and they are going to be very aware of Woodyard. But
if they lose him . . . boy, will I be pissed. :mad:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I thought Ian Gold was awesome.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought Ian Gold was awesome.

That doesn't seem a popular opinion, seeing as he's gone . . .

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
:shocked: C'mon, Jim. You don't see improvement over last year? D.J.
playing out of his natural position, Webster at SAM, out of his natural
position, and Ian "El Matador" Gold at WILL? You've got to be kidding.

And DT is decent, i.e., the starters. Problem is, the starters need a blow
once in a while, and that is what those behind them do: blow.

But I don't think Woodyard is going anywhere, unless they really play the
idiot and try to sneak him onto PS. As you know, other teams know what
the Broncos have, and they are going to be very aware of Woodyard. But
if they lose him . . . boy, will I be pissed. :mad:

-----

DJ was at MLB last year and a "rookie" there but he could tackle not so this year..

at Will I think he will be so much better than the matador was. All we have done so far is moved the matdor from will and installed a new one at Mike.

SAM with Boss I'm not impressed.. If and when he comes back perhaps Winborn could play it better certainly faster than Boss.

DT after Robertson and Thomas as you state blows..

The LBs as we speak is better at Will but worse at the other positions IMO..

That said if they are bogged down by OG blocking them because the DL can't handle them then are we really better?

We got a lot of getting to know each other IMO and until that happens this D is gonna be somewhat better but not P/O caliber..

As much as I like Woodyard at LB I think I'd like to see him back at his natural position Safety.. He is fast enough and can cover and hits like a Abraham's Tank

Requiem / The Dagda
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
That doesn't seem a popular opinion, seeing as he's gone . . .

-----

I was kidding.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
DJ was at MLB last year and a "rookie" there but he could tackle not so this year..

at Will I think he will be so much better than the matador was. All we have done so far is moved the matdor from will and installed a new one at Mike.

SAM with Boss I'm not impressed.. If and when he comes back perhaps Winborn could play it better certainly faster than Boss.

DT after Robertson and Thomas as you state blows..

The LBs as we speak is better at Will but worse at the other positions IMO..

That said if they are bogged down by OG blocking them because the DL can't handle them then are we really better?

We got a lot of getting to know each other IMO and until that happens this D is gonna be somewhat better but not P/O caliber..

As much as I like Woodyard at LB I think I'd like to see him back at his natural position Safety.. He is fast enough and can cover and hits like a Abraham's Tank

SAM is worse with Boss/Winborn than it was with Webster, JR? You're not
making sense. And no, Winborn is not faster than Boss. Boss rivals D.J. in
speed.

-----

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I was kidding.

Glad to hear that. :D

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
SAM is worse with Boss/Winborn than it was with Webster, JR? You're not
making sense. And no, Winborn is not faster than Boss. Boss rivals D.J. in
speed.

-----

I think you have these two reversed Boss/Winborn speed wise.. Winborn is fast not as fast as DJ or Woodyard but fast.

Perhaps Windborn will become better that webster was but it is not his natural position WILL is.. He is a better athlete no doubt but right now he is making mistakes because he is learning it..

I like him not at all excited about Boss being there and we all know the minute he can play he will be back there.. Because of the contract he got if for no other reason.. Y'all know that mikey never makes mistakes in personnel matters..

topscribe
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I think you have these two reversed Boss/Winborn speed wise.. Winborn is fast not as fast as DJ or Woodyard but fast.

Perhaps Windborn will become better that webster was but it is not his natural position WILL is.. He is a better athlete no doubt but right now he is making mistakes because he is learning it..

I like him not at all excited about Boss being there and we all know the minute he can play he will be back there.. Because of the contract he got if for no other reason.. Y'all know that mikey never makes mistakes in personnel matters..

Yes, Winborn is fast. But Boss' trademark is his speed, JR. In fact, Coachscout (http://www.couchscout.com/dnvr.htm)
has Boss as the Broncos' fastest LB, with a 4.44 40 time, as opposed to
4.49 for Woodyard and 4.52 for D.J., and Winborn at 4.50. (Webster, BTW,
is 4.58). That is one fast unit, across the line. And Boss' speed is documented
by the likes of NFL Total Access (http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=142620) and Scout.com (http://det.scout.com/2/551639.html), who had Boss under 4.4.
Trust me, Boss is fast.

-----

honz
08-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't see how people are already writing off Boss. He played 2 plays so far in the preseason and everyone seemed to be saying good things about him during camp. There is no doubt that he has the physical tools to be a very good LB and I am excited to see him when he comes back. I think he will end up being a very good pickup for us.

BCJ
08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
What we have here is a blogger who is also a member of one of our broncos websites. I do see that are losses from last year are, for the most part, actual gains. Just give me 9 and 7 and at least one win vs the Chargers and I know we are going in the right direction.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Yes, Winborn is fast. But Boss' trademark is his speed, JR. In fact, Coachscout (http://www.couchscout.com/dnvr.htm)
has Boss as the Broncos' fastest LB, with a 4.44 40 time, as opposed to
4.49 for Woodyard and 4.52 for D.J., and Winborn at 4.50. (Webster, BTW,
is 4.58). That is one fast unit, across the line. And Boss' speed is documented
by the likes of NFL Total Access (http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=142620) and Scout.com (http://det.scout.com/2/551639.html), who had Boss under 4.4.
Trust me, Boss is fast.

-----

I suspect this was all pre knee and ankle injuries..

Lets hope he is still fast .. that said I have not seen enough of him to be impressed at SAM..

Lets hope I'm wrong..

topscribe
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I suspect this was all pre knee and ankle injuries..

Lets hope he is still fast .. that said I have not seen enough of him to be impressed at SAM..

Lets hope I'm wrong..

Actually, one of these articles I cited said he was running that speed after
his knee surgeries. An ankle sprain, once it is healed, shouldn't make much
difference. However, a severe high ankle sprain could be anywhere from a
few weeks to holding him back to some degree for the whole season. So
we'll have to see.

But Boss' strength is pass coverage, which, of course, is important at SAM.

I think we'll be all right there, with either Boss or Winborn. IMHO.

-----

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Sometimes a severe high ankle sprain is worse than a break. The ligaments get stretched and torn and take a while to heel. I am hoping he is ready for week one but he might not be 100% until the bye week or after. Its a shame he has a major case of the injury bug.

Lonestar
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Sometimes a severe high ankle sprain is worse than a break. The ligaments get stretched and torn and take a while to heel. I am hoping he is ready for week one but he might not be 100% until the bye week or after. Its a shame he has a major case of the injury bug.

my daughter took nearly a year after one in VB as a sophomore in HS to get back to normal.. a good 3 months to be where it was not hurting even with a heavy duty brace and tape job.. And hers was not a major strain. She has had a lot of the low ones but the high strain was tough..

Nomad
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
JR, who's going to run the prediction threads for each game and this years overall team record? I guess the adopt a bronco will start next week. And no, I'm not nominating myself, I forgot who did it last year.

SarahKay
08-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Good article. :salute:

MasterShake
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM

Yes, I was surprised no one posted it before I did! :salute:

topscribe
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM

my daughter took nearly a year after one in VB as a sophomore in HS to get back to normal.. a good 3 months to be where it was not hurting even with a heavy duty brace and tape job.. And hers was not a major strain. She has had a lot of the low ones but the high strain was tough..

Yes, and that's what I'm afraid of. But I'm encouraged at how Winborn has played, as are you, JR.

-----

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I liked Winborn since he came on last year at the end. Unfortunately he wasn't a great SAM so he didn't make the starting line up but the guy is a solid player.

He is smart too. Another Vanderbilt grad who choose to go to school there for the academics. He was highly recruited to other prominent SEC schools but knew he would get the best education.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I liked Winborn since he came on last year at the end. Unfortunately he wasn't a great SAM so he didn't make the starting line up but the guy is a solid player.

He is smart too. Another Vanderbilt grad who choose to go to school there for the academics. He was highly recruited to other prominent SEC schools but knew he would get the best education.

Winborn probably never will be a superlative starter, but the Broncos are
lucky to have him as a backup, IMO. (Now watch him get cut.)

-----

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Winborn probably never will be a superlative starter, but the Broncos are
lucky to have him as a backup, IMO. (Now watch him get cut.)

-----

No way he gets cut. Just look at the lack of depth at LB. The team can use a journey man LB who plays smart and plays special teams he has value.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 10:20 PM
No way he gets cut. Just look at the lack of depth at LB. The team can use a journey man LB who plays smart and plays special teams he has value.

Actually, LB has good depth. But Winborn is one of the reasons. Niko and Woodyard are the others.

-----

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I disagree LB has horrible depth. Actually the whole D has bad depth except for CB.

topscribe
08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I disagree LB has horrible depth. Actually the whole D has bad depth except for CB.

Who do you think is bad as backup? You already agreed on Winborn. Do you
like Woodyard? It is true that we have two backup LBs at MLB, but they are
two very good backups. Beck and Green have done decent jobs, when Green
was healthy (although I think they're gone). You know, you can't have all
stars at backup positions. You have pretty good players there, at best. And
I think they're pretty good players.

Regarding the rest of the defense, I have to agree. If one of our starting
safeties OR starting DTs goes down, we are in trouble.

-----

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Well Jordan Beck has been average at best. Louis Green is coming off a scary concussion and who knows where he stands. Woodyard has made plays but has barely moved up the depth chart. I don't want starts thats not my point. But I think Winborn is one of the better depth players if not the best behind Niko and after that the talent plummets. So his job is safe.

Just my opinion though!

slim
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM

Holy Hell.......nice to see around.

NightTrainLayne
08-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Holy Hell.......nice to see around.

Just when you begin to question whether or not she really exists. . .whether or not it was just a vision. . .a dream. . .she comes back and makes a post or two just to resolve any doubt.

cpr940
09-11-2008, 12:37 PM

I'm quoting myself, because with Merriman out and Jamal Williams knee acting up, I think that Denver now can win the division.

Plus, when I wrote that in June, who knew that Royal would only debut with the best stats of ANY WR for week one?

San Diego is still the better team, and division leader, until Denver beats them. And I think that will happen this Sunday.

Still not jazzed about the lack of pressure, or the LB corps. But the offense looks way more efficient than it has in recent years.

Thnikkaman
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm quoting myself, because with Merriman out and Jamal Williams knee acting up, I think that Denver now can win the division.

Plus, when I wrote that in June, who knew that Royal would only debut with the best stats of ANY WR for week one?

San Diego is still the better team, and division leader, until Denver beats them. And I think that will happen this Sunday.

Still not jazzed about the lack of pressure, or the LB corps. But the offense looks way more efficient than it has in recent years.

I think that lack of pressure is due to the fact that Oakland was calling a run play 80% of the time. Tell me that there is one team that is going to give up no more than 100 yards to a team who calls a rushing play that often.

lex
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM

We need to score points and move the ball...and if that means being pass heavy in order to amass a lead, then so be it.

gobroncsnv
09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
An offense that can score us some points will help out our pass rush. Make the other guy stay one-dimensional. Get ahead, stay ahead, beat 'em til they like it.

shank
09-11-2008, 10:38 PM
An offense that can score us some points will help out our pass rush. Make the other guy stay one-dimensional. Get ahead, stay ahead, beat 'em til they like it.

like others have said (elsewhere) that is what used to make us so effective. we would come out and score easily on the first drive or 3 and teams would have to abandon their running game in the 1st half. if we can do that, we're golden.

WARHORSE
09-12-2008, 11:01 AM

I disagree.

We are the better team, and the division leader. :D

After sunday, that will still be true, as I see us putting a spanking on the Chiggers that theyve had coming ever since Phillip 'I rent my forehead out to NASA' Rivers was taunting Cutler.

No excuses about Williams, Merriman, LT, Cromartie or anyone......cause when we played last year, we had a TON of injuries already.

So they need to just put the pacifier in their mouths, and take this beating with their tails tucked between their legs..............:coffee:

BeefStew25
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
War:

:salute:

CromartieWillOwnU
09-12-2008, 03:44 PM

:lol:

SarahKay
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Great article. I predicted we'd go 13-3 or 12-4 at least. Hope I'm right! :beer:

CromartieWillOwnU
09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Great article. I predicted we'd go 13-3 or 12-4 at least. Hope I'm right! :beer:

:icon_eek::pound:

topscribe
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
:icon_eek::pound:

You think you might be able to prove me wrong and show you can say something intelligent?

Otherwise, the smack forum is that way ----------->

-----

Northman
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM

I dont think we will be quite that good. But there is something to be said about thumping the pathetic raiders in their home stadium. I mean, we could of choked at home against a very average Panthers team. :lol:

Slick
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
We need to score points and move the ball...and if that means being pass heavy in order to amass a lead, then so be it.

I made that statement before I saw Royal play. It's only been one game, but a healthy, more experienced and confident Cutler could do just that. I really don't care how we win.

CromartieWillOwnU
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
You think you might be able to prove me wrong and show you can say something intelligent?

Otherwise, the smack forum is that way ----------->

-----

You won't go 13-3 12-4 because you have to face the chargers twice that 2 losses. You'll get a loss playing new orleans or tampa bay (maybe even both). That's 3. You won't beat the jets or the bills. that's 5. and you'll likely lose to Carolina (not as easy as it looks) and the browns.that's 7. 9-7

Northman
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
You won't go 13-3 12-4 because you have to face the chargers twice that 2 losses. You'll get a loss playing new orleans or tampa bay (maybe even both). That's 3. You won't beat the jets or the bills. that's 5. and you'll likely lose to Carolina (not as easy as it looks) and the browns.that's 7. 9-7

And your smoking far too much crack. No shocker there though.

topscribe
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM

That's better . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2008, 05:15 PM

Now - let's have your prediction on exactly what SD will do this year.

omac
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Nice picks ... and I bet you chose the Panthers to beat the Chargers, right? Yeah, that's what I thought. :cool:

WARHORSE
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
War:

:salute:

:salute::salute:Aye Aye capn!:salute::salute:

lol...........

Lonestar
09-12-2008, 08:13 PM
You won't go 13-3 12-4 because you have to face the chargers twice that 2 losses. You'll get a loss playing new Orleans or tampa bay (maybe even both). That's 3. You won't beat the jets or the bills. that's 5. and you'll likely lose to Carolina (not as easy as it looks) and the browns.that's 7. 9-7

I think your closer to the actual, than the 13-3 crowd.. I had thought 7-9 might have to amend it to 9-7 if our rookie OT do not crack or the DL starts to show up..

WARHORSE
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Two losses? Dont think so.

We already have..........oh, uh........none...........which is one less than you have already, and that to the lowly Panters.

Your problem? They ran the ball on you at will.

And if you think they did a good job of it on sunday, wait until this week.

Now, since you took the time to come visit this week to talk a little smack..............please make sure you come back like a real man and face us after we break Cutlers foot off in your rear ends.:coffee:

:D

BRONCOS OR DIE.:salute:

Benetto
09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
We'll get 10 or more wins. Guaranteed. :coffee:

Hoshdude7
09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
i just hope we make the playoffs

lex
09-12-2008, 09:28 PM

I hope we're better than that. Im not just saying that to be smug either. The main reason for making the switch to Cutler 2 years ago was due to a realization that Plummer wasnt going to take us where we wanted to go, which is super bowls, not merely the playoffs. I realize you have to make the playoffs first. Theres no denying that. But to simply be content with the playoffs is to ignore what occurred two seasons ago. Theres a difference between being a playoff teams and a team that has a chance in the playoffs. I want us to be the latter. The former isnt good enough.

CromartieWillOwnU
09-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Your profile pic looks like predator vs alien

BCJ
09-13-2008, 02:50 AM
I had us at 9 and 7 and no better than 10 wins. One game over the pathetic Faiders isnt changing my mind yet. Beat the Chargers and maybe we get to 11 wins which is playoffs.

hamrob
09-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Man, they're jumping on the bandwagon from everywhere! Look, I've been saying all offseason...that I think we can compete this year...but how about, we beat the Bolts and Saints first before we start talking about going 13-3?

WARHORSE
09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I had us at 9 and 7 and no better than 10 wins. One game over the pathetic Faiders isnt changing my mind yet. Beat the Chargers and maybe we get to 11 wins which is playoffs.

I had us at 19-0.

One game aint changin my mind either.:coffee:

omac
09-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I think fans are very hesitant to believe just how good our offense was mainly because of what happened last season. I caught myself doing that when I thought the game would be close.

Truth is, this is not the same Bronco team that was that bad on defense and better than decent on offense; our D isn't that great, but it won't hemhorage points like last season either. Our passing offense has looked spectacular, along with the protection ... very different from last season.

On the other side, the Chargers don't look as dominant this season as they were last season. Sure, people can say they started out slow last year too, but losing Merriman is a very big thing. As much as LT downplays his turf-toe injury, it is there; and as a year goes by, LT treads gets more and more worn out through the workload. Gates has injuries. Their OL has injuries. Other parts of their D has injuries.

The longer you play at a high level, and the more you reach the playoffs ... that's more games than other teams play, and that wears you out. It happened to the Broncos after '05, where suddenly, players started to look old ... get a bunch of lingering injuries .....

For most of the Bronco veterans, at the very least on offense, that AFCCG was their window closing. The Chargers identity is with LT, but LT's window is also starting to close, with all the carries he has every season. With the aggressive drafting SD has, I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a potential future replacement for LT next season.

A few years ago, the Broncos were the dominant team, then their window closed; SD still has an open window, but sooner than you think, it could be closing. The current Broncos window is still just opening.

As this young Broncos group gets better, SD is slowly getting worse. It's just the cycle. NE and Indy are finally starting to show their age, after going through a really long run of dominance.

This could be the year the Broncos start beating SD comfortably, just as SD did with us. We'll see soon enough.

Benetto
09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
10 or more wins...:coffee:

WARHORSE
09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
10 or more wins...:coffee:

More.:salute:

ApaOps5
09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
I predicted 8-8 before the season started. After Monday it went up to 9-7. But I am leaning towards 10-6 and tomorrows result may very well dictate if that goes up.

omac
09-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I predicted 8-8 before the season started. After Monday it went up to 9-7. But I am leaning towards 10-6 and tomorrows result may very well dictate if that goes up.

Using that progression, by game 6, you'll have us at 16-0 ... j/k. :D

DenBronx
09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
well...i think 10-6 gets an afc team into the playoffs this year. the browns, jag, bolts are all 0-2 and several others look rusty. its very possible we win the division but the playoffs are only 8 wins away!!!