PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey/Kyle Orton interviews on 87.7 fm

titan
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton were interviewed by Les Shapiro and "jo jo" in the last 45 minutes on the new sports station in town (87.7 fm). Here's a summary:

champ bailey:

What do you think about losing brandon marshall?

We are losing a special player. No one on our roster
can do what he's done But we have a few guys i know can produce for us

How do you feel playing for a new defensive coordinator?

This is my 10th coordinator in 12 years.
Regardless of its an in house hire or totally new the system always changes.
Every coach wants to put his own stamp on things.
I feel good about what Wink is going to do for us.

How about the new signings in the dline?

Everything starts up front If we don't have
a good game, it's because of the guys up front
it's important to have good quality guys to
push the pocket. we have good backups as well

Will the defense have to carry this team with all the youth on offense?

No, though i do approach every season like defense has to carry team.
I know with Kyle Orton and the weapons we do have we can do
great things on offense

In regards to Dez Bryant, what would you think if a rookie refused to carry your pads?

I'd be pissed. If there's a guy that cocky you
are pissed but at the same time it makes you
watch that guy. If this guy is that cocky he
better produce. It's a little disrespectful but
you get over it. As a rookie you've got to respect the vets.

When I was a rookie I had to carry helmets, pads, bringing breakfast.
Vets wanted to mess with you. I respected the
vets so I did it. I expect our rookies to do it. It's part
of the game.

Do you set goals?

I used to have alot of personal goals, i focus more
on team goals now. I've achieved alot in my career but
what have I done as a team? Nothing (no championships) My whole
focus is what can the team do

cornerbacks can play a long time - how much longer for you?

I do have to work harder to play 16 games now. Until that
day that I feel I can't play cornerback for 16 games I'll be
there. Cornerback is the most competitive position on the
field. I'm not ready to move to safety. Playing 18 games
might cut my career short.

========

Kyle Orton interview

How do you feel about reporting with the rookies?

It's not too bad. The first few days is just conditioning.

How about losing brandon marshall?

That's the nfl - guys move on. We can't replace 100 catch 1000 yard guy with 1 guy. A number of our guys will have to step up.

How about the rookie wide recievers - how do they look?

I was able to throw with D Thomas in a few practices - he's big, fast, very powerful and he can really catch the ball. I want to get him the ball in space and see what he does.

Decker has good hands and really speaks the language of the game .. He'll
pick things up quick.

Are you feeling underappreciated?

No. Nice to get the offseason out of the way with all the drama - you media guys like that . I think I'm going to have my best season this year. Our offense has alot of confidence coming out of the spring and we hope to continue that going into camp.

are you more comfortable with the system?

No question I am. Any time you can run the same plays over and over again
the more confident you get, the more the play callers can call the plays
you really like.

How about the offensive line? You may be starting 2 rookies?

You always have to stay healthy up front. We have 3 guys
that really anchor that line in clady, harris, and kuper so we'll be ok.

How is knowshon looking?

He had a really good spring. It's tough to come in and be
a player the 1st year. He did some good things for us last
year but I expect an even better year from knowshon this year.

You have 2 new backups at quarterback. How do they look?

Brady can thrown the ball very well. He's a big guy and a good athlete

Tim has a long way to go but does alot of special things on the football field.

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
see that Champ is already thinking about extending his career at Safety.

T.K.O.
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

caught that right away myself......when he does make the switch i hope it's with the broncos:salute:

dogfish
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM

that was the one thing that stuck out to me as well. . . i've said for a couple years now that i think he's an ideal candidate to make the switch to free safety at some point. . . we saw how rod woodson thrived there, and i've always felt that champ resembled woodson in a lot of ways. . .

as long as he can play as well at corner as he did last year it doesn't make sense, but within the next few years that inevitable slide almost has to start pretty soon, much as i hate to say it. . . you just don't see guys running well enough to really play the position at a high level in their mid-30's. . . you can only make up for so much lost speed no matter how smart or instinctive you are, and most of the league's older corners are guys who've stuck around too long and only have jobs because teams need so much depth there. . . i don't want to see champ be a guy like surtain or madison, who tack three-five shitty years onto the end of their career. . . be smart-- make the move to a less challenging position where you can still give a team good years, instead of going out like a bum, hanging on until you can't cover even the league's weakest receivers and you're forced into retirement. . .

gobroncsnv
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Champ could succeed at safety where Deion wouldn't have... you have to be able to tackle, not dodge...

titan
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I thought what was interesting about the interviews:

Champ's reaction to Dez Bryant's refusal to play the part of the obedient rookie, and Orton's description of Demaryus Thomas. I watched alot of Thomas in college and I think he can be just as good if not better than Dez, without the attitude. Orton in particular said Demaryus "can really catch the ball" where the knock on Thomas was supposed to be his hands.

threefolddead
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Dumervil was on Sirius Blitz today but I only caught the tail end of the interview. He said he had to step up as a leader of the team and be better in pass and run coverage. They asked if he was sad dough boy was out of Oakland and he just laughed. Anyone catch the whole thing?

Dean
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
that was the one thing that stuck out to me as well. . . i've said for a couple years now that i think he's an ideal candidate to make the switch to free safety at some point. . . we saw how rod woodson thrived there, and i've always felt that champ resembled woodson in a lot of ways. . .

as long as he can play as well at corner as he did last year it doesn't make sense, but within the next few years that inevitable slide almost has to start pretty soon, much as i hate to say it. . . you just don't see guys running well enough to really play the position at a high level in their mid-30's. . . you can only make up for so much lost speed no matter how smart or instinctive you are, and most of the league's older corners are guys who've stuck around too long and only have jobs because teams need so much depth there. . . i don't want to see champ be a guy like surtain or madison, who tack three-five shitty years onto the end of their career. . . be smart-- make the move to a less challenging position where you can still give a team good years, instead of going out like a bum, hanging on until you can't cover even the league's weakest receivers and you're forced into retirement. . .

iunderstand what you are saying but Champ started out a few steps faster. Champ's combine 40 time of 4.28 is faster than nearly anyone else's. He can slip and still be fast enough to play corner. True, his day will come but he is still a very fast mid-30's.

claymore
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I wish Orton could switch to safety too. I lo0ve that guy.

Dean
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
:confused: :D

topscribe
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm going to spam this thread just one time to remind everybody there's also a
video and multimedia thread stickied in this forum. Stuff you don't want to miss is
continually being posted in there . . .

-----

dogfish
08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
iunderstand what you are saying but Champ started out a few steps faster. Champ's combine 40 time of 4.28 is faster than nearly anyone else's. He can slip and still be fast enough to play corner. True, his day will come but he is still a very fast mid-30's.

he sure looked pretty quick tonight, didn't he?

:D