PDA

View Full Version : If Tebow does not make it camp on time will you judge him?

nevcraw
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Given what we have learned or heard about the man that is thought to be Tim Tebow - would you look at him diffently if he is not in camp on time?
I don't know how to do a poll - so you will just have to talk it out..
__________________________________________________ ______________
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#5523
Unless a deal is struck within the next 24 hours or so, Tim Tebow will miss his first day with his fellow rookies at Denver Broncos training camp. Will this pressure force the player who was drafted with intangibles in mind to cave? Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post examined the many nuances of the situation on Tuesday.

On the one hand, Tebow was drafted in the slot right behind the only first-rounder to have inked his rookie deal so far, Dez Bryant. In that sense, the framework for a deal could be easier to negotiate. On the other hand, there's an idea that Tebow should hold out along with the other rookies in order to get as much as possible. In weighing these two sides, Kiszla writes that unless all that we know about Tebow has been just an act, a long holdout would go against the young QB's character.

The fact that Tebow -- unlike the majority of his first-round draftee brethren -- isn't expected to be a starter as a rookie does soften the blow of a holdout, as he'll have more time to learn as the season rolls along.

nevcraw
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_15609114

No matter which way Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow steps in his new signature sneakers, he's going to be called a heel.

Whether the quarterback reports to NFL training camp with Denver rookies or holds out for more money, Tebow seems destined to make folks mad.

It's an All-American dilemma for the All-American guy:

Should the most buzz-worthy Bronco since John Elway fail to report when rookies are due Wednesday, then might fans wonder if the "Promise" adorning Tebow's shoes means only that his feet stink the same as every greedy pro athlete?

Or does Tebow show up for work on time and risk the ire of fellow first-round draft picks fighting to get paid in the NFL's current hostile labor environment?

In a situation in which Tebow has been embraced as the one, shining hope for the future on a Denver franchise that is remarkably devoid of stars or personality, the quarterback from Florida should hold all the leverage in contract negotiations with the Broncos.

Making all the money you can is as American as apple pie, fireworks on the Fourth of July and Donald Trump's comb-over.

But here is betting Tebow cannot bring himself to stay away from practice for more than a day without breaking out in a rash.

I would put it at no worse than 50-50 that Tebow will be in uniform and ready to go the first time rookies take the field.

If a knucklehead the likes of receiver Dez Bryant can come to terms on a five-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys, how bad would it make Tebow appear to dig in his heels and quibble about money?

But here's the rub.

The true brotherhood in the NFL is among the men who give their blood, sweat and tears to the game. If Tebow wants to be considered a hero among his peers, before he considers agreeing to a contract, it would behoove him to demonstrate loyalty to fellow rookies rather than devout Broncomaniacs.

With the increasing likelihood of a lockout looming in 2011, the union charges collusion that has made contract negotiations difficult for rookies, while the owners insist the griping is so much posturing.

As the proud owner of the new No. 1-selling NFL jersey, Tebow would be well advised to stand and fight with young players who figure to gain or lose the most in the next collective bargaining agreement.

It's not as if Tebow will morph into JaMarcus Russell if the Broncos rookie misses a week or two of training camp. Let's be honest. At this point in Tebow's career, the primary reason for him to be at Dove Valley has more to do with marketing than football. He's more likely to suffer a dead arm from signing autographs than throwing passes.

Why? The only way Tebow starts at quarterback in 2010 is if coach Josh McDaniels wakes up in London on Halloween and decides there's a better chance of him playing guitar on a Beatles reunion tour than there is of the Broncos qualifying for the playoffs.

And it's not as if Tebow requires 1,000 reps under a blistering summer sun to be effective as a situational player in the wild horse formation. He could score on third-and-goal from the 2-yard line in his sleep.

The bottom line? It might be smarter for Tebow to hold out.

But this is a quarterback the Broncos drafted for his heart, and if Tebow listens to his heart, he will leave money on the table, sign on the dotted line and buckle up his chin strap.

Either way, Tebow can't possiblywin on all fronts, as much as he might sincerely want to make everybody happy.

Hey, if it's impossible for Captain America to be perfect, what hope is there for mere mortals like the rest of us?

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

TXBRONC
07-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't because it's not fair to assume that would be anything in his control.

topscribe
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Not really. That part of it is primarily his agent's call. What concerns me is what
Tebow will miss if he is not in camp every single day. He is still raw - very raw,
from what I glean from reports. He's not going to have that much of an impact
this year, anyway, IMO. So it's going to hurt him more than it is the Broncos . . .

-----

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
But I believe that Tebow is a player and knows he will ultimatly make more in endorsements than for playing.

Sign the contract get to camp,learn as much as you can and play when they say your ready.
If he is not in camp he sets himself back. Only hurts the TEAM. Does not sound like the TEBOW guy I have heard about.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
No... I won't judge him. Its stupid to show up for camp without being under contract. Thats business, and thats smart.

Also.. he'll make more money with endorsements, but he's going to make that money regardless if he's at camp the first couple days or not, so expecting him simply to sign any contract just to get on the field isn't realistic.

Being a TEAM player doesn't mean throwing away money and not handling your BUSINESS correctly. Thats what big-boys in big-boy business do. They separate the business from the rest.

BroncoWave
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
No... I won't judge him. Its stupid to show up for camp without being under contract. Thats business, and thats smart.

Also.. he'll make more money with endorsements, but he's going to make that money regardless if he's at camp the first couple days or not, so expecting him simply to sign any contract just to get on the field isn't realistic.

Being a TEAM player doesn't mean throwing away money and not handling your BUSINESS correctly. Thats what big-boys in big-boy business do. They separate the business from the rest.

League rules prohibit you going to camp without a contract, so it doesn't matter if he wants to or not.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15606947

Tebow watch.

The Broncos have three unsigned rookies, who happen to be their three-highest draft picks — receiver Demaryius Thomas (first round, No. 22 overall), Tim Tebow (first round, No. 25 overall) and offensive lineman Zane Beadles (second round, No. 45 overall).

Several second-round picks agreed to deals Monday, and the Broncos should have Beadles locked up with a four- year deal today.

Then the Broncos will focus on getting Tebow into camp on time. The two sides are negotiating a five-year contract that figures to be worth about $12 million with roughly $8 million guaranteed.

There is a chance Tebow's deal could be done hours before the first rookie practice Wednesday afternoon. It would be a surprise if negotiations last past Sunday morning,

Ravage!!!
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
League rules prohibit you going to camp without a contract, so it doesn't matter if he wants to or not.

YOu can sign an injury waiver while contracts are being drawn up, thats what I was referring to. Its something that a couple of players have used lately, but most don't. I personally don't think its smart to sign an injury "waiver" (really, you are signing a short term insurance policy in case you get injured before the contract is sign that would pay for your insurance) before your contract is signed and done.

Northman
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Not really. (to the original question)

Elevation inc
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Nope Picks 1-23 havent even signed yet, hell pick 1 aint even signed so its next to impossible to judge the pay scale for agents and teams......Dez was a complete miracle considering his agent was the one who held out crabtree last year.....if Tebow isnt in camp on time it wont be his fault...the NFL is still a buisness for the most part......

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM

I had fogot to add this to my post. Thanks for doing it.

As for not getting every dime he can.

What is the difference between 12 mil and 12.3 mil.

After taxes about a 100K

Let's hope he tells his agent to get it done screw the few bucks he might lose. His self worth and image is more important.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2010, 10:46 AM

I think this is a correct statement

Tned
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Given what we have learned or heard about the man that is thought to be Tim Tebow - would you look at him diffently if he is not in camp on time?
I don't know how to do a poll - so you will just have to talk it out..

Contract negotiations are a two way street. I'm not going to condemn Tebow or the Broncos if they can't get the deal done by the start of camp. I hope they do, so he has every chance to contribute this season, but it won't change my opinion on him one bit.

The one exception would be if he wants Sam Bradford/Matthew Stafford money and is being unreasonable and winds up in an extended hold out.

underrated29
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I had fogot to add this to my post. Thanks for doing it.

As for not getting every dime he can.

What is the difference between 12 mil and 12.3 mil.

After taxes about a 100K

Let's hope he tells his agent to get it done screw the few bucks he might lose. His self worth and image is more important.

Knowing tebow, I doubt that is the issue. It is probably the incentives and escalators and PR stuff- so he can still be the shiny example.

LTC Pain
07-27-2010, 11:12 AM
From what I've read, it seems tha most athletes leave contract negotiations completely up to their agents. I wonder if any players actually lean on their agents to get a deal done? Particularly those that want to be in camp on time.

Jagsbch
07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't go to camp, Tebow

Denver Broncos training camp begins tomorrow and Tim Tebow might not be there. Unless he can sign a deal between now and Wednesday, he shouldn't go to camp either.

In what might be an early attack in the owners trying to break the weakest union in sports, only one NFL first rounder has been signed; Dez Bryant. The NFLPA has accused the owners of collusion the last summer before the collective bargaining agreement is renewed. Caught in the crossfire are this year's first rounders, who want to use last year's draft pick salaries, while the owners force a slotting system that would cut rookie salaries.

In the case of Tebow, he cannot go to camp tomorrow if he is unsigned. Not only does he become a scab, he could become the invisible man in terms of NFL apparel and merchandise. By practicing for free, the NFLPA could remove Tebow's jerseys and likeness from video and fantasy games. The MLBPA did this to baseball players who crossed the picket lines in 1995 and trained with replacement players. (Imagine playing Madden with Broncos' QB Jim Jebow.)

I would think with Tebow's politically conservative leanings that he would not sympathize with labor over management. But this isn't UAW and General Motors. Tebow practicing without a contract may win him points with the Broncos management, but it screws over the other first round picks. ("If Tebow can come to camp, you can too.") He is also risking losing a source of income from royalties...

Very intersting article. (http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2010/7/27/1590105/dont-go-to-camp-tebow#add-comment)

GEM
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Every year the 1st rounders are pressed this close to camp. This isn't something new caused by the CBA.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
It wouldn't make sense to me if I judged him.

Negotiations are left in the hands of the agent, so if anybody should be judged (and I'm not saying they should) it should probably be the agent.

I had no idea that picks #1-#22 weren't signed yet. I never remember that being the case this close to TC in the NFL. I'm guessing it's because of the looming CBA?

edit - ^ never-mind. My question was answered before I asked.

nevcraw
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't go to camp, Tebow

Denver Broncos training camp begins tomorrow and Tim Tebow might not be there. Unless he can sign a deal between now and Wednesday, he shouldn't go to camp either.

In what might be an early attack in the owners trying to break the weakest union in sports, only one NFL first rounder has been signed; Dez Bryant. The NFLPA has accused the owners of collusion the last summer before the collective bargaining agreement is renewed. Caught in the crossfire are this year's first rounders, who want to use last year's draft pick salaries, while the owners force a slotting system that would cut rookie salaries.

In the case of Tebow, he cannot go to camp tomorrow if he is unsigned. Not only does he become a scab, he could become the invisible man in terms of NFL apparel and merchandise. By practicing for free, the NFLPA could remove Tebow's jerseys and likeness from video and fantasy games. The MLBPA did this to baseball players who crossed the picket lines in 1995 and trained with replacement players. (Imagine playing Madden with Broncos' QB Jim Jebow.)

I would think with Tebow's politically conservative leanings that he would not sympathize with labor over management. But this isn't UAW and General Motors. Tebow practicing without a contract may win him points with the Broncos management, but it screws over the other first round picks. ("If Tebow can come to camp, you can too.") He is also risking losing a source of income from royalties...

Very intersting article. (http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2010/7/27/1590105/dont-go-to-camp-tebow#add-comment)

Since when did a blogo blurb become an article??

Not a judgement on you Jags - it is on subject - so thank you for including it..

BroncoWave
07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Every year the 1st rounders are pressed this close to camp. This isn't something new caused by the CBA.

I don't think there has ever been a year where only one first rounder has been signed this late in the summer. You can correct me if I'm wrong but there are usually more guys than this signed by the time camp starts.

dogfish
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
it's beyond ridiculous to expect tebow to be signed when only one first rounder out of 32 has so far. . . . it's shitty to put undue pressure on him compared to all the rest of them just because he's a good guy. . .

where's the thread about whether d. thomas will report on time?

broncophan
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
yea.....I am more conserned about Thomas not being in camp.....he will be more important to the broncos offense this year.....imo...

topscribe
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
yea.....I am more conserned about Thomas not being in camp.....he will be more important to the broncos offense this year.....imo...

Absolutely. I don't see Tebow making much of an impact this year. He's just too
raw. But the Broncos really need a deep threat, and Thomas represents that. In
fact, unless McKinley and/or Lloyd really break out (probably unlikely at this
point), it largely depends on Thomas, as I see it, anyway (I may be all wet).

-----

broncophan
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Tebow signs contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................with Jockey.........
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/7/27/1590369/tim-tebow-signs-contract-with

nevcraw
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
it's beyond ridiculous to expect tebow to be signed when only one first rounder out of 32 has so far. . . . it's shitty to put undue pressure on him compared to all the rest of them just because he's a good guy. . .

where's the thread about whether d. thomas will report on time?

I sincerly hope my broncos forum thread does not put any added pressure on Tim Tebow..

and we all know D thomas will not be at camp on time - but feel free to start that one if you like - my thread starting quota is filled. ;)

dogfish
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I sincerly hope my broncos forum thread does not put any added pressure on Tim Tebow..

and we all know D thomas will not be at camp on time - but feel free to start that one if you like - my thread starting quota is filled. ;)

nah, i really meant the article more than your thread-- more people probably read the post than here. . . .

BORDERLINE
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Nope Picks 1-23 havent even signed yet, hell pick 1 aint even signed so its next to impossible to judge the pay scale for agents and teams......Dez was a complete miracle considering his agent was the one who held out crabtree last year.....if Tebow isnt in camp on time it wont be his fault...the NFL is still a buisness for the most part......

agreed!!!......your one injury away from losing your carrer...get the most you can so you and your family will be secure..that being said i hope he is signed by tonight so he can be there wednesday...*broncos, make it happen*

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Knowing tebow, I doubt that is the issue. It is probably the incentives and escalators and PR stuff- so he can still be the shiny example.

thought that about someone else a few years ago and it would up a 300K difference over 4-5 years BFD. Talk about a dumb move.

get the kid into camp and let him learn while the pads are on.. Only then we can make some intelligent decisions.

Babe
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't know if I would judge him at this time. Wait 6 games and see if he can hold his own. He's a Bronco now and that means alot.

((BTW - I had to re-register and everything just to come back.)))))

:cool:

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't go to camp, Tebow

Very interesting article. (http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2010/7/27/1590105/dont-go-to-camp-tebow#add-comment)

They would not let him in camp as it would be a violation of the CBA which is still in effect till next march.

After that well it could be a free for all.

Babe
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, I have to research all the players. I've been away. They changed my membership time to 2010 and I've been here since 2001. Go figure

Broncos come play the Cardinals down here in bum (*&^ eqypt on 12-12-10.
Sure will get a ticket to that one. I will not boycott a Bronco game played in Arizona......:beer:

BroncoWave
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
thought that about someone else a few years ago and it would up a 300K difference over 4-5 years BFD. Talk about a dumb move.

Yes, because all contracts are exactly the same!

Tned-Mobile
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, I have to research all the players. I've been away. They changed my membership time to 2010 and I've been here since 2001. Go figure

Broncos come play the Cardinals down here in bum (*&^ eqypt on 12-12-10.
Sure will get a ticket to that one. I will not boycott a Bronco game played in Arizona......:beer:
I think your confusing us with another forum, as we've only been around since 2007. That aside, welcome to BroncosForums!!!!

pnbronco
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't because it's not fair to assume that would be anything in his control.

Worth saying again IMO. So no I would not look at him different, it's the business side of football.

Jagsbch
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
They would not let him in camp as it would be a violation of the CBA which is still in effect till next march.

After that well it could be a free for all.

Tebow needs to put some fire under his agents but to just get a deal done on time and how.

I mean why would Tebow even care about 25th selection money when in his heart, I believe he is looking for top 10 money, and the sooner he gets on the field the faster he will collect it IMO.

As it stands Tebow is signing one endorsement deal after another as a result of being drafted in the first round.

I think it is in his best interest to take it to the wire and sign on the dotted line and be at work on time.

The money he makes in future endorsements alone ought to more than make up for what ever percentage his agent may loose by not taking this haggle fest into training camp.

With all the pending endorsement deals, and team player image at stake, it would be an epic fail IMO, if Tebow is not in Training Camp on time.

Tebow will not allow his agent or money to stand in the way of his passion, persona and dream. I expect nothing less than to see Tebow in training camp on time.

This is not the stigma Tebow needs to have hanging like an albatross wrapped around his neck this season.

Ravage!!!
07-27-2010, 04:01 PM

get the kid into camp and let him learn while the pads are on.. Only then we can make some intelligent decisions.

Yeah... I think we would all hate to waste our time, that whole week, to secure a measly 300 k

Ravage!!!
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Tebow needs to put some fire under his agents but to just get a deal done on time and how.

I mean why would Tebow even care about 25th selection money when in his heart, I believe he is looking for top 10 money, and the sooner he gets on the field the faster he will collect it IMO.

As it stands Tebow is signing one endorsement deal after another as a result of being drafted in the first round.

I think it is in his best interest to take it to the wire and sign on the dotted line and be at work on time.

The money he makes in future endorsements alone ought to more than make up for what ever percentage his agent may loose by not taking this haggle fest into training camp.

With all the pending endorsement deals, and team player image at stake, it would be an epic fail IMO, if Tebow is not in Training Camp on time.

Tebow will not allow his agent or money to stand in the way of his passion, persona and dream. I expect nothing less than to see Tebow in training camp on time.

This is not the stigma Tebow needs to have hanging like an albatross wrapped around his neck this season.

No one remembers, nor cares, if you were a few days late signing your rookie contract. Doesn't matter if you are good, or if you are bad, it just doesn't matter. THe endorsements Tebow is signing has everything to do with the Florida fan-base... and those will still be there whether he signs tomorrow, or next week.

Those endorsements aren't looked upon as income to "make up" for anything. they are income to add ON to a person's income. It doesn't make a difference how much money you make, you STILL know and appreciate the difference of a few hundred thousand dollars. Thats a lot of money, whether you make 50k a year, or 5 million.

So I don't think Tebow needs to simply "rush and sign" the dotted line. At least, not to the degree you are suggesting. ITs not like he's holding out. Its not like he's refusing to sign a deal. Its purely a matter of the negotiations that happens with every player. This is a business.

Jagsbch
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I remember, I care. It has a certian stigma to it, where players and fans alike can take the opportunity to make your persona to being about nothing but the bottomline rather than the game.

I think being on time makes a difference in the locker room. With the CBA being renigotiated what does holding out even matter in the big picture.

A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS IS A GREAT INVESTMENT IN YOUR PERSONNA, ESPECIALLY IF IT CAN HELP BUY LOYALTY AND ROYALTY CHECKS WORTH MILLIONS.

Ravage!!!
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
The locker room, of all places, understands what the signing of contracts is all about. They won't hold that against anyone.

Again, the royalty checks will come in if he signs now or next week. Won't change a SINGLE DIME to his pocket. None... zero.

So far, there isn't a single thing to judge him harshly on if he isn't in on day 1. This is coming from a guy that didn't want to draft Tebow at ALL. I'm pretty confident his image is safe, either way.

dogfish
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
No one remembers, nor cares, if you were a few days late signing your rookie contract. Doesn't matter if you are good, or if you are bad, it just doesn't matter. THe endorsements Tebow is signing has everything to do with the Florida fan-base... and those will still be there whether he signs tomorrow, or next week.

Those endorsements aren't looked upon as income to "make up" for anything. they are income to add ON to a person's income. It doesn't make a difference how much money you make, you STILL know and appreciate the difference of a few hundred thousand dollars. Thats a lot of money, whether you make 50k a year, or 5 million.

So I don't think Tebow needs to simply "rush and sign" the dotted line. At least, not to the degree you are suggesting. ITs not like he's holding out. Its not like he's refusing to sign a deal. Its purely a matter of the negotiations that happens with every player. This is a business.

seriously. . . this yearly rookie signing coverage is the most manufactured drama in the history of media. . . such a joke. . .

they're all going through the exact same process, both 1st round picks and teams-- all of 'em. . . it really shouldn't even be called a holdout, IMO. . . just a bit of token resistance because you never take the first deal they give you. . . in the end, every one of those kids is going to be signed, and you're absolutely correct, NO ONE aside from jags guy is going to remember three months later-- unless you pull a jamarcus russell and kstage an honest-to-god holdout that lasts well into or beyond training camp. . .

ideally i'd love to have all our guys in on time, but it's not all that realistic. . . missing a few practices isn't going to stunt anyone's career anyway. . . and tebow's "image" is all about what he does on the field-- anyone who thinks otherwise is laughably deluded. . .

does his christianity and high character make him easier to root for, and bring him additional fans? positively-- but if wasn't tebow on the field, he'd be just another nice college kid. . . a token holdout may cause a ripple of grumbling among the holiest of his faithful legions, but certainly not more than that. . .

the only reason people are interested in talking about it now is that there's really nothing else to talk about until camp starts. . . it's a ridiculous little dance with zero importance in the bigger scheme of things, and it could be mostly done away with if they just implemented a formal, mandatory slotting system for paying draft picks. . .

Lonestar
07-27-2010, 05:55 PM
seriously. . . this yearly rookie signing coverage is the most manufactured drama in the history of media. . . such a joke. . .

they're all going through the exact same process, both 1st round picks and teams-- all of 'em. . . it really shouldn't even be called a holdout, IMO. . . just a bit of token resistance because you never take the first deal they give you. . . in the end, every one of those kids is going to be signed, and you're absolutely correct, NO ONE aside from jags guy is going to remember three months later-- unless you pull a jamarcus russell and kstage an honest-to-god holdout that lasts well into or beyond training camp. . .

ideally i'd love to have all our guys in on time, but it's not all that realistic. . . missing a few practices isn't going to stunt anyone's career anyway. . . and tebow's "image" is all about what he does on the field-- anyone who thinks otherwise is laughably deluded. . .

does his christianity and high character make him easier to root for, and bring him additional fans? positively-- but if wasn't tebow on the field, he'd be just another nice college kid. . . a token holdout may cause a ripple of grumbling among the holiest of his faithful legions, but certainly not more than that. . .

the only reason people are interested in talking about it now is that there's really nothing else to talk about until camp starts. . . it's a ridiculous little dance with zero importance in the bigger scheme of things, and it could be mostly done away with if they just implemented a formal, mandatory slotting system for paying draft picks. . .

look for this to be in the next CBA..

Way to many vets making a lot less than most of the 1-3rd rounder guys that have never strapped on a NFL jock. The VEts will give this point up in a heart beat IF they think they are going to get a bigger chunk of the pie.

dogfish
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
look for this to be in the next CBA..

Way to many vets making a lot less than most of the 1-3rd rounder guys that have never strapped on a NFL jock. The VEts will give this point up in a heart beat IF they think they are going to get a bigger chunk of the pie.

i don't know if they'll get it done or not, and i'm not going to hijack this particular thread with that discussion, but i sure hope they do. . . it would be highly beneficial in a number of ways. . . should be one of the main planks of the new CBA, as far as i'm concerned. . .

dogfish
07-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Sunday is the real target for Tebow's deal
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 10:05 PM ET

Amid signs of progress between the Broncos and quarterback Tim Tebow, we've developed the impression from tapping into our grapevine that, even though the team's rookies report on Wednesday, the two sides are focusing on getting a deal done by Sunday, when the full squad begins to practice.

Multiple league sources have explained to us that the rookie reporting deadline means nothing to anyone but head coaches, who like to use the separate reporting date to squeeze the first-year players into showing up early.

The front offices and the agents believe that the only date that matters is the full-squad reporting date. In Tebow's case, that's the target.

That said, it's possible that the deal can be negotiated before then, if the team and the player are motivated to make it happen. In Tebow's case, the crux of the negotiations likely will focus on the escalators based on playing time. Put simply, the sooner he becomes the starter, the more money he'll make.

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormil l.htm

BroncoBJ
07-28-2010, 01:51 AM
I would burn my Tebow jersey if that were to happen. :fight:

sneakers
07-28-2010, 02:19 AM
If he doesn't come to camp with 50 well fed orphins in tow, his image will be tarnished in my eyes.

NorthernLights
07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
This just in.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/28/report-tim-tebow-wants-more-than-dez-bryant/

Edit: Just saw this posted in the other thread. Will remove the story but leave the link.

nevcraw
07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
If he doesn't come to camp with 50 well fed orphins in tow, his image will be tarnished in my eyes.

fair enough.

oubronco
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I will not judge Tebow until he actually takes the field and plays football

TimTebow15MVP
07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
why would anybody view him differant aslong as he comes in and works 3x as hard he will be alright. but the deal shoulda been done.