PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville paper: Dawkins still a force in Denver

titan
07-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Gene Frenette: Former Raines star Brian Dawkins still a force in Denver

Anticipation keeps building for the Jaguars’ home opener in seven weeks, much of it because fans want to see if a certain hometown hero wearing a Denver Broncos jersey has any impact on the game.

Just don’t forget about the other Jacksonville native in blue and orange that may well have a bigger say in the outcome than Denver’s rookie quarterback. In all the Tim Tebow hysteria, it’s easy to forget the city’s greatest active NFL player deserves every bit of applause for what he’s accomplished over 14 seasons.

That other Bronco is safety Brian Dawkins, a Raines High product that continues to play like someone 10 years younger than his real age (36). In his first season in Denver, he and NFL sack leader Elvis Dumervil were one of the few bright spots on a defense that floundered down the stretch. The Broncos lost eight of their last 10 games, but Dawkins still earned his eighth Pro Bowl honor, more than any safety in NFL history except Ken Houston, John Lynch and Steve Atwater.

Many fans on Sept. 12 will be eyeballing Tebow no matter what role he has in his NFL debut. But don’t be surprised if Dawkins, whose physical presence has made him arguably the league’s most feared safety in the last decade, catches your eye even more.

Few players bring a more ferocious element to the game than Dawkins, the undisputed defensive leader on the Philadelphia Eagles for the better part of 13 seasons.

“[Former Eagles’ receiver] Irving Fryar told me if I took care of my body early in my career, it’ll take care of you later,” said Dawkins. “I’m able to run and get where I need to in a hurry. I can still do it with the best of them. I’m making sure my body is ready every year to give everything for my teammates.”

Dawkins’ reputation as a team player makes him perfectly comfortable with Tebow mania. He knows the adored Florida Gator will get much of the attention, especially if Tebow’s role is expanded beyond a Wildcat quarterback.

“I understand why he’s gotten so much hoopla, why fans are so enamored to see him,” said Dawkins. “He went to Florida and he’s always fresh on their minds. One of the first things he did was introduce himself to me and ask questions that could help him be a better pro. He’s a humble individual, which is always a plus.

“I wouldn’t limit Tebow to just short-yardage situations. If [coach] Josh McDaniels has confidence in him in other situations, you best believe he’s going to get [Tebow] on the field.”

Just don’t forget about Jacksonville’s other action hero. This guy donated $100,000 to Raines for a weight room, was named Father of the Year by the American Diabetes Association, and once was named the Eagles’ Man of the Year.

Dawkins, an X-Men comic book collector, has been a football and community Superman in his own right.

Now that he’s on Tebow’s team, just don’t forget to give him his proper due.

link:
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400565/gene-frenette/2010-07-24/gene-frenette-former-raines-high-star-brian-dawkins

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
surprised to see that atwater had more probowls but is not in the HOF.

Guess it has been long enough ago that I had forgotten those numbers I will never forgot the assassin. Half of one of the greatest Safety duos in the NFL history.

dogfish
07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
if tim has half the career dawk's had, we'll end up being very happy. . .