PDA

View Full Version : Alridge Looking To Contribute This Season

Ziggy
06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
From Denverbroncos.com

Quick Six

Anthony Alridge is a change of pace back looking to contribute this season.

By Jake Grilley
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.-- He is listed as Anthony Alridge on the Denver Broncos’ roster but friends and family often call the rookie running back out of the University of Houston by a much more fitting nickname, “Quick.”

“Quick” is short for “Quick-Six,” a name given to Alridge by his college teammates for his ability to separate from defenders and speed through the open field.

At 5-feet-9-inches, 185 pounds, Alridge knows the Broncos didn’t add him to the team for his ability to pound the tacklers on third-and-1 but rather to compliment the other backs on Denver's roster and as his nickname implies, provide big play potential.

"I think I’m more of a speed back," Alridge said. "I think I can hit the edges. Counter plays, catching the ball out of the backfield. I think that is my part on this team. I am just going to try and do my part."

Alridge proved his speed at the NFL combine this spring, placing third among running backs and fourth overall with a 4.36 40-yard dash.

Alridge used his speed to make plays during his tenure with the Cougars.

Originally recruited to play wide receiver, Alridge finished his career at the University of Houston as one of the school's most accomplished rushers. He ranked sixth in school history with 2,595 rushing yards on 363 carries for a 7.1-yard rushing average. As a senior he posted the second highest single season rushing performance in school history (1,597 yds., 6.2 avg., 14 TDs) along with 42 receptions (428 yds., 5 TDs). During his junior year Alridge averaged a first down with each carry, his 10.1 yard average was the highest in the NCAA since 1945. Alridge’s 4,438 career all-purpose yards ranks him fourth in Cougars history.

Even with his impressive college resume' Alridge knows that as a rookie in the NFL there is so much to learn and so many people to learn from.

"Really nothing has surprised me," Alridge said. "I knew everybody was going to be fast on the defense. I knew everyone was going to float to the ball. I’m just trying to soak it all in because of all the plays and the long terminology. The blocking schemes are a whole lot different than college. It is a little challenging but it is fun all at the same time."

The veteran running backs have helped Alridge's pro transition by showing him the ropes.

"They are teaching me everything I know," Alridge said. "Selvin Young has taken me under his wing, been a big brother type. Michael Pittman is doing the same thing. I am just learning as much as I can and trying to soak it all in."

Alridge said that with all the unfamiliarity that comes with joining a professional football team, new city, new teammates, new coaches it is nice to see a familiar face.

Broncos defensive lineman Jarvis Moss and Alridge are both from the same hometown of Denton, Texas.

"I am always with him so it isn’t anything new; it’s fun," Alridge said.

While the running backs and Moss have helped Alridge adjust to his life as an NFL player, one Bronco, Samie Parker wanted Alridge to see if he could live up to his "Quick-Six" nickname.

"Word on the street was he was the fastest on the team," Parker said. "We had to figure that out, because I knew I was the fastest."

Parker and Alridge held a footrace on the last day of team camp, and although Parker won, Alridge lived up to his name and still disputes the results.

"Who’s the fastest on the team? It’s me," Alridge said. "The rookie free agent. Anthony Alridge. Houston, Texas."

And even though Parker might hold the title as fastest Bronco for now he will have no problem calling Alridge "Quick".

"I mean the guy is fast," Paker said. "As fast as advertised."

shank
06-20-2008, 02:54 PM
parker smoked him, i was a bit disappointed.

it's crazy to hear about selvin taking a leadership role in his 2nd year. i heard him talk about doing it in interviews, and it's really cool. rooting for him (and alridge, but if we want speed at returner, we have royal and parker... not sure if alridge has very good odds working for him).

LRtagger
06-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm excited to get to watch him play this offseason. Good luck to him in making the team.

BroncoFanatic
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM

it's crazy to hear about selvin taking a leadership role in his 2nd year. i heard him talk about doing it in interviews, and it's really cool. rooting for him (and alridge, but if we want speed at returner, we have royal and parker... not sure if alridge has very good odds working for him).

Does Parker do return work?

If it's one or the other, I'd rather keep Alridge. If he can't hold a roster spot on a crappy KC WR corps, I can't imagine he'll do much good here. We'll see...

shank
06-20-2008, 03:00 PM

If it's one or the other, I'd rather keep Alridge. If he can't hold a roster spot on a crappy KC WR corps, I can't imagine he'll do much good here. We'll see...

yeah he does returns. most people thought that was our primary reason for bringing him in before drafting eddie. i was just saying, if we want speed (unfortunately one of the only things alridge offers) then sammie smoked him in the footrace :(

but you can't argue with alridge's production, i just don't think his game transfers to the NFL. i hope he impresses in camp, i wish him luck making the team.

BroncoJoe
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM

They haven't exactly had a great QB throwing them the ball either...

Is Parker the one with the dropsies?

shank
06-20-2008, 03:09 PM

i'm not sure, but i know d-jax and colbert have gotten that rep over the last seasons.

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Parker is super fast too! lol... coming 2nd to parker in a foot race isn't the worst thing in the world. The team said that Aldridge is probably the 2nd fastest guy on the team.

BroncoFanatic
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM

I grant you the QB point, but when their best WR was a rookie last year, you'd think a half decent WR could get a spot :noidea:

If Parker impresses and earns a roster spot here, hey I'll cheer him on.

I expect Alridge will probably end up on the PS, unless he knocks off Martinez for return duties. Either way, I hate the offseason and can't wait for it to end :D

BroncoJoe
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Either way, I hate the offseason and can't wait for it to end :D

Exactly. To make things worse, the cable company is upgrading their lines all week, so I don't have digital cable. Can't get the NFLN until next week.

BroncoFanatic
06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Exactly. To make things worse, the cable company is upgrading their lines all week, so I don't have digital cable. Can't get the NFLN until next week.

I hope they get you back online by Tues for the Inside Look At The Denver Broncos :shocked:

Ziggy
06-20-2008, 03:24 PM
If these 2 are the fastest on the team, then Champ has lost a step. He ran a 4.28 at the combine in 1999.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Champ's how old now? He probably has lost a step.

LordTrychon
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah.... Champ's as good as done.

:laugh:

(Good article, btw)

Ziggy
06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Champ's how old now? He probably has lost a step.

He turns 30 in 2 days. He doesn't look any slower in pads than he used to.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at? He's not the fastest person on the team?

Ziggy
06-20-2008, 03:55 PM
From Denverbroncos.com

"Who’s the fastest on the team? It’s me," Alridge said. "The rookie free agent. Anthony Alridge. Houston, Texas."

And even though Parker might hold the title as fastest Bronco for now he will have no problem calling Alridge "Quick".

"I mean the guy is fast," Paker said. "As fast as advertised."

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at? He's not the fastest person on the team?

Yes, according to the article, Parker is the fastest Bronco. I had thought it was Champ. Guess I was mistaken.

lex
06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, according to the article, Parker is the fastest Bronco. I had thought it was Champ. Guess I was mistaken.

Parker ran track in college and is younger than Champ so it shouldnt be a surprise.

dogfish
06-20-2008, 04:14 PM

were you there, or was it posted somewhere?

shank
06-20-2008, 04:30 PM
were you there, or was it posted somewhere?

it was on the broncos website, i think the video "broncos building chemistry" or something like that.

it shows the end of the race and parker is like running sideways, looking back at alridge playfully...

and i don't think champ has every considered himself the fastest. i think he has lost a step, but his instincts, agility, and anticipation make him appear as fast as ever.

i remember when roc alexander was here, everyone touted him as the fastest player on the team.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Shaw, I still owe you those pictures, but bringing up Roc Alexander makes me very hesitant to give them away. :(

shank
06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Shaw, I still owe you those pictures, but bringing up Roc Alexander makes me very hesitant to give them away. :(

all i said is that he was fast :yo:

G_Money
06-20-2008, 04:54 PM

That's a bit of an overstatement. Parker got a better start, Alridge was faster once they started moving, and Parker held him off at the end.

Not a lot of guys are gonna catch Alridge in the open field, though. Once he starts moving he's gone. We just need to see if he has a role with the team, and if his hands get better. Can't be putting him in the game to catch the ball in the flat if he doesn't actually catch it. Speed doesn't help if you don't have the ball when you start downfield.

Sometime this year, though, I want to see every super-fast guy on the field at the same time. Just for fun. :cool:

~G

Inkana7
06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
They touted Hixon as the fastest guy on the team last year.

TXBRONC
06-20-2008, 07:38 PM

I would guess Selvin finds kinship with Alridge because they were both undrafted.

omac
06-20-2008, 10:06 PM
That's a bit of an overstatement. Parker got a better start, Alridge was faster once they started moving, and Parker held him off at the end.

Not a lot of guys are gonna catch Alridge in the open field, though. Once he starts moving he's gone. We just need to see if he has a role with the team, and if his hands get better. Can't be putting him in the game to catch the ball in the flat if he doesn't actually catch it. Speed doesn't help if you don't have the ball when you start downfield.

Sometime this year, though, I want to see every super-fast guy on the field at the same time. Just for fun. :cool:

~G

That would indeed be cool. :cheers: