PDA

View Full Version : Mike Shanahan talks about his Broncos

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Good video where Shanahan talks about the state of the 2008 Broncos...very good watch.

Click here to see Shanahan's interview (http://cbs4denver.com/sports/mike.shanahan.broncos.2.751550.html)

DENVER (CBS4) ― Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan held his annual golf tournament on June 9 at the Omni-Interlocken Golf Course. Broncos players, coaches and staff participated in the event and Shanahan took some time to sit down with CBS4's Vic Lombardi.

Shanahan said he liked the way his team performed in camp last week so much, he canceled mini-camp in early July. He's also not worried about Brandon Marshall's injury since the wide receiver is well ahead of schedule and he feels that position is the least of his concerns.

"Well I think we've got more depth there than we've ever had since I've been here," Shanahan said. "You know, we've got guys that people don't know because they haven't played … we've got another four or five guys that have a legitimate chance to compete for that fifth, sixth position, and we haven't had that, so it's some interesting competition."

On the topic of former Broncos running back Travis Henry, Shanahan said there were many things that just added up and he had to release him.

"You know, I always stick up for players and even if they do make some mistakes, but sooner or later if you're not a guy I can count on, then I'm not going to be behind you," he said.

Running back Selvin Young has said he wants a 2,000-yard season. Shanahan said that may be a lofty goal, but he likes players who believe in themselves.

"There are not a lot of guys that have averaged over five yards a carry as a rookie with over 100 catches," he said. "He's got to stay healthy. He does have a lot of ability; he's got great hands coming out of the backfield and I'm just hoping he gets better and better."

As far as the defense goes, Shanahan said the team will be going back to the scheme they used before it was switched last season.

"Bob Slowik will be running that scheme; very different than what we did a year ago. We were ranked 31st in the National Football League," he said about the team's run defense. "If you can't stop the run, you know, you're not going to win even if you do get to the playoffs. And we'll be much improved in that area."

Shanahan has moved D.J. Williams back to outside linebacker after a stint playing inside; a position he had never played before last year. Shanahan said Williams was just average at the inside position and will have a much better chance to compete at outside linebacker.

"D.J. did what we wanted him to do last year and even though he had a good year, I'm looking forward to him having a great year," he said. "I think he can have it at the (outside) linebacker position."

John Lynch believes that some people have lost faith in him and he wants to prove the critics wrong. Shanahan said Lynch is a consummate pro and he's looking forward to him winning the starting safety job.

"I don't know if he is, but he's got the mindset that, hey, 'I'm going to show everybody that not only am I a first (and) second-down player, but I'm a third-down player and you're going to have to drag me off the field because I'm going to prove in preseason that I belong there,'" he said. "Everybody is always rooting for John Lynch."

Shanahan has the most wins in pro football history in a three-year period with 46 from 1996 to 1998 and he's the only head coach with seven post-season wins in a two-year period. He's also only one of six head coaches to win back-to-back Super Bowls.

LRtagger
06-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Shanahan said he liked the way his team performed in camp last week so much, he canceled mini-camp in early July.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Especially considering the year we had last season and the fact that nearly half the team and coaching staff is new. I figure we could use as much time on the field as a team as humanly possible before the season starts. :confused:

silkamilkamonico
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
This doesn't make much sense to me. Especially considering the year we had last season and the fact that nearly half the team and coaching staff is new. I figure we could use as much time on the field as a team as humanly possible before the season starts. :confused:

Agreed. I'm not going to critique Shanahan, but its just curious. I would think with a very young team and a bunch of young/inexperienced players that will be counted on for impact he would want as many mini camps as he could.

lex
06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Its not that Im not pulling for John Lynch but at the same time, Id really like to see him supplanted as the starter because that would mean someone else has stepped up...which would be really helpful going forward.

slim
06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
"Well I think we've got more depth there than we've ever had since I've been here," Shanahan said. "You know, we've got guys that people don't know because they haven't played … we've got another four or five guys that have a legitimate chance to compete for that fifth, sixth position, and we haven't had that, so it's some interesting competition."

He says this every year during the offseason. Then when the season starts we have trouble finding three decent WR, let alone 5 or 6. I hope he is finally right about this, but I'm not holding my breath

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
USC and Florida State have our future FS and SS... We just have to be patient.

silkamilkamonico
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM

I hope not. The day this organization spends a first round pick on a S, is the day this organization starts taking 2 steps backward, and 1 step forward.

slim
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I hope not. The day this organization spends a first round pick on a S, is the day this organization starts taking 2 steps backward, and 1 step forward.

Yeah, drafting Atwater was a huge mistake.

silkamilkamonico
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, drafting Atwater was a huge mistake.

Right, because it's not like the game has actually evolved in 20 years.

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Right, because it's not like the game has actually evolved in 20 years.

Just right off the top of my head.........

Ed Reed?
Troy Polamalu?
Sean Taylor?
LaRon Landry?
Michel Griffin?
Reggie Nelson?
Donte Whitner?

And you need to see Taylor Mays from USC... dude is one of the best I've seen in a long time!

lex
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM

If we're going to be patient, it would make sense to wait for Major Wright.

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
If we're going to be patient, it would make sense to wait for Major Wright.

Why so we can see more of this?

Major Wright almost tackle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRJczt7YZF4)

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Taylor Mays is a rare breed....He's built in the mold of former USC safeties like Ronnie Lott and Troy Polamalu. Rarely do you find players of his size that have the ability to accelerate and reach top speed as quickly as he does. He is very similar to Sean Taylor and has that very scary all-around ability.

shank
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Just right off the top of my head.........

Ed Reed?
Troy Polamalu?
Sean Taylor?
LaRon Landry?
Michel Griffin?
Reggie Nelson?
Donte Whitner?

And you need to see Taylor Mays from USC... dude is one of the best I've seen in a long time!

high five x5. first round safety is probably the safest pick you can make imo, especially with a guy as clearly talented and a physical beast as taylor mays.

BroncoJoe
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
As long as one of them is still around at the bottom of the first round since we're winning the Superbowl this year.

BOSSHOGG30
06-20-2008, 02:43 PM
As long as one of them is still around at the bottom of the first round since we're winning the Superbowl this year.

Lol, that's the problem with Taylor Mays... he won't be three at the bottom of the 1st round... at least not if the Draft were today. He is probably a top 10 pick right now. We would have to trade up for him or really suck this year. The great thing about the 2009 draft is it is loaded with good safeties... Myron Rolle might come out early too and this kid is super talented as well.

omac
06-20-2008, 09:45 PM

I think this time, we're trying to get out of preseason with the least amount of injuries before the regular season even starts. Maybe he feels he overworked his players last preseason.

TXBRONC
06-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I think this time, we're trying to get out of preseason with the least amount of injuries before the regular season even starts. Maybe he feels he overworked his players last preseason.

I guess that's possible, but at the same time I don't think they put on the pads during minicamp.

omac
06-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I guess that's possible, but at the same time I don't think they put on the pads during minicamp.

LOL, you're right. :D

WARHORSE
06-21-2008, 01:32 AM
I like whats being said about the rookies.

I hope Royal can do in pads what hes doing in shorts.

Wes Welker gave the league something to think about last year when it comes to slot receivers.

He was pretty much the entire offense for the Patsyriots during the superbowl.