PDA

View Full Version : Best Broncos RB since 2003?

Apollo
07-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Open question, who has been the Broncos best RB post Clinton Portis?

BroncoWave
07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Mike Anderson was probably the best. Tatum Bell became my favorite of the entire period though the way he came back after being out of the league and was basically the only player to show up in that week 17 debacle against the Chargers in 08.

Dreadnought
07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Mike Anderson was probably the best. Tatum Bell became my favorite of the entire period though the way he came back after being out of the league and was basically the only player to show up in that week 17 debacle against the Chargers in 08.

I might reverse the order, but I basically agree. I always had a soft spot for Tatum, and he played his ass off for us at the end of 2007. He got a bum rep for fumbling which is not born out by the stats

Slick
07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I really liked Mike Anderson. I would love to have another running back just like him. I don't like little guys unless they run like Felix Jones.

Dreadnought
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I really liked Mike Anderson. I would love to have another running back just like him. I don't like little guys unless they run like Felix Jones.

Quentin Griffin, perhaps? :lol:

atwater27
07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Mike Anderson, Peyton Hillis

nevcraw
07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought Rueben Droughons did a very nice job as well - but Mike Anderson played more.

underrated29
07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Knowshon-hands down.

Before him I liked reuben droughns a lot...He was who I thought the broncos were going to start, when Q griffin was around..

I never liked tatum bell, EXCEPT for the last year with us where as you guys said, he ran his ass off!! I have never seen him run that hard, but it is sad that he did not get atleast a crack at the job after he figured out how to run a guy down or through an arm tackle.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Knowshon-hands down.

Really? 3.8 ypc? We had a lot of guys who blew that average away.

underrated29
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM

We did. we also had a better team, a better qb, and a better OL, and a healthy OL, and a better healthy OL that was playing the ZBS, something they were designed to play, not the power scheme.

I think this coming year it will be different.

Knowshon is just way to good...He really is, freaking good.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
We did. we also had a better team, a better qb, and a better OL, and a healthy OL, and a better healthy OL that was playing the ZBS, something they were designed to play, not the power scheme.

I don't doubt he will get better, but he has a long way to go to prove the best Broncos running back since Portis. I am rooting for him.

underrated29
07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't doubt he will get better, but he has a long way to go to prove the best Broncos running back since Portis. I am rooting for him.

I know you are...But I see what hes got and I know its better than what our past backs brought to the table...Knowshon just needs a lil help is all. and imo this year he will do it....Season might start out a tad slow, but watch him bust it baby.

NightTrainLayne
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM

If you're going to go by stats, I think you'll have a hard time justifying Hillis as #2 as you did above.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
If you're going to go by stats, I think you'll have a hard time justifying Hillis as #2 as you did above.

oh, you don't want me to pull out stats....

In Peyton's only chance to shine, he posted 5 ypc, 12.8 yards per catch, and scored a phenomenal one touchdown every eleven times he touched the rock. But I know, he's just a dumb slow fullback. Just like the dumb slow fullback Mike Anderson, who, when actually fed the ball, was a one man wrecking crew.

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM

so josh basically made this team worse?

underrated29
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM

no.

Mike Anderson- had plummer, solid ol, rod, lelie?, quitterson, sharpe?

Droughns- plummer, solid OL, Rod, Lelie, solid OL

both had mike shanahan calling plays, scripting plays and going for the long ball, or a qb that would go for the long ball.

Slick
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM

All the yards in the world don't matter if we don't score touchdowns. We failed to do that during the last few years of Shanahan and it carried over into last year as well. I don't think we got worse, but we sure didn't get any better n year one under McDaniels.

broncofaninfla
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd go with Mike Anderson since 2003. No way would I even consider a vote for noshow. Anderson, both Bells, Droughns, Buck and Hillis were far better for Denver than what Moreno has shown to date as a Bronco. Moreno has a chance to be the best since 2003, Mcd has shown he loves feeding him the ball despite the results and in his second year in the system with a revamped line, things are in place for him to shown he isn't another Peter Warrick.

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 12:11 PM
no.

Mike Anderson- had plummer, solid ol, rod, lelie?, quitterson, sharpe?

Droughns- plummer, solid OL, Rod, Lelie, solid OL

both had mike shanahan calling plays, scripting plays and going for the long ball, or a qb that would go for the long ball.

but the contention is josh threw away every one that was bad, changed shannys offense...brought in his players and coaches...and so if those shanny teams were better as you said...its not out of line to say josh made this team worse? at least last season

my vote would be for big mike

BroncoWave
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
but the contention is josh threw away every one that was bad, changed shannys offense...brought in his players and coaches...and so if those shanny teams were better as you said...its not out of line to say josh made this team worse? at least last season

No, we weren't worse. 8-8 is the same record Mike finished with. The only difference that 8-8 culminated from the team Mike build for years and years. Josh got his 8-8 without having his system fully implemented and without having all of the players needed to fit that scheme. Show you just how good a coach he is to have achieved that record given the circumstances.

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
No, we weren't worse. 8-8 is the same record Mike finished with. The only difference that 8-8 culminated from the team Mike build for years and years. Josh got his 8-8 without having his system fully implemented and without having all of the players needed to fit that scheme. Show you just how good a coach he is to have achieved that record given the circumstances.

basicaly the point was offense

we were 8-8 in 08 because of the terrible defense....just like the reasoning for the 0-4 in the last games of 09

the offense including a run game with 6 starting rbs on IR was still better in 08 tthan 09

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM

You forgot to add the complexity of the 09 schedule over the cream puff one in 08.

Your just being to LOGICAL once again.

GOod post.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

underrated29
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Im not saying Josh made the team worse, but the offense, last year....was obviously worse in Every fashion. Then what shanny had put on the field. But the team no, the offense last year, yes.

But I have faith in our guys, mainly the OL and Knowshon that this year things will be much much different-in a lot of bigger and better ways!

nbenallo33
07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
i think im gonna go with portis he was explosive and fun to watch!

camdisco24
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Back to the original question...
I see the most potential in Knowshon as well. I'm expecting big things from him this season with a (hopefully) improved OL. I'm not saying he'll match Portis, but I think he could get pretty darn close.

He's got the skills, now if he can just unleash that burst we're all waiting to see....

dogfish
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
i'm gonna go with. . . . nobody?

RedFalcon
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't think we had a good RB after Portis got deported in Washington. None of the RBs we had managed to stay on top. Anderson, Droughns, T. Bell had one good season, and than nothing.
As for Moreno, this gotta be his year, or else...

SmilinAssasSin27
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Travis Henry was the best RB we have had since CP. Unfortunately he is a complete douche. By default, Mike Anderson gets the kudos.

Slick
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
i'm gonna go with. . . . nobody?

somebody is better than nobody. . . wuss.

:photo:

NittanyBuff24
07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Mike Anderson has been the best, Moreno has the talent to be very good, dont think he has the speed to break long runs, but still can be a very effective runner as well as receiver!

NittanyBuff24
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Dont know that I buy that one he tanked down the stretch just like some other Bronco teams after starting 6-0, monumental collapse no matter how you slice it. I would also argue that the dink and dunk offense benefited greatly from Shanahans former player Mr. Marshall. I am anxious to see who is going to pick up that slack.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM

the questions was Best Broncos RB since 2003?

nobody seems to fit well, that or take the rushing leader each year because they were all different and add it to the list.

the fact is we have not had a decent CONSISTENT runner since either TD or poorti$$

Slick
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
the questions was Best Broncos RB since 2003?

nobody seems to fit well, that or take the rushing leader each year because they were all different and add it to the list.

the fact is we have not had a decent CONSISTENT runner since either TD or poorti$$

nobody has been great with any consistency but someone had to be the best. . .

i am busting dogfish's peaches because i thought his answer was a cop out. . .

and i am stealing his posting style. . .

BORDERLINE
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Mike Anderson =Peyton Hllis..but since hillis was only around for like 4 games....M.Anderson gets the edge..i liked both tough

HORSEPOWER 56
07-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Maurice Clarett.

What? Why is everyone looking at me like that? :doh: I thought you said "worst" since Portis...

Honestly, I'd have to go with Mike Bell (best combo of power/speed since TD). At least he was the guy I wanted to see succeed the most. The guy was always money inside the 5 (loved to watch him go airborne). It's a shame he ended up in Shanny's doghouse and then out of Denver (which he even admitted later was his fault). I rooted for him in New Orleans last year and was happy to see him do well.

Traveler
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Mike Anderson hands down with Reuben a close second.

I will admit I had such high hopes that Tatum Bell could pick up where Portis left off.

claymore
07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I would say Droughns brought the most value. Every one else after portis was mediocre at best.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Mike Anderson hands down with Reuben a close second.

I will admit I had such high hopes that Tatum Bell could pick up where Portis left off.

every one did and got real invested in him only to be disappointed in him.

I liked MA for what he represented, being an Ex Marine and going to school. But was not impressed with mikey trying to make him something that he was not.

Perhaps he was a better runner after being a "FB" but is suspect not.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Travis Henry was the best RB we have had since CP. Unfortunately he is a complete douche. By default, Mike Anderson gets the kudos.

Hell Yeah Travis Henry. The man's a beast. On the field and in the bedroom.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Hell Yeah Travis Henry. The man's a beast. On the field and in the bedroom.
might have been more back seats than bedrooms :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hamrob
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Droughns, TMobile-Tator, Duby-Anderson and Hillis in that order.

Hopefully Moreno can show something. The problem with Moreno is...he's not big and he's not fast.

BroncoWave
07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Droughns, TMobile-Tator, Duby-Anderson and Hillis in that order.

Hopefully Moreno can show something. The problem with Moreno is...he's not big and he's not fast.

Droughns really? He had one good year for the Broncos. Mike Anderson's stats in Denver dwarf his. Tatum bell too for that matter.

NightTrainLayne
07-26-2010, 08:35 PM

In Peyton's only chance to shine, he posted 5 ypc, 12.8 yards per catch, and scored a phenomenal one touchdown every eleven times he touched the rock. But I know, he's just a dumb slow fullback. Just like the dumb slow fullback Mike Anderson, who, when actually fed the ball, was a one man wrecking crew.

Sorry, but the whopping 397 yards of CAREER rushing takes him out of the conversation.

I love Hillis. I posted in 2008 that I wanted his jersey because he was the type of hard-nosed player that I would cheer for even if he's playing for someone else. .. and I will. But it's impossible to put him on a list of best RB's, even for the Broncos since 2003.

BroncoWave
07-26-2010, 08:38 PM

Please pull out the stats. 81 career attempts is NOT enough of a sample size to determine how good of a RB he is. If he keeps up that 4.9 ypc over a full season you will have a point.

Traveler
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
... but was not impressed with mikey trying to make him something that he was not.

Please don't get me started on this. Shanahan & company ruined more than a couple of players trying to make them into something ill suited for their talents.

dogfish
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM

shouldn't you be underwater or something?

:lol:

it's a fair point. . .

the answer is mike anderson. . . that's purely opinion-- i really don't think there's any possible logical case to be made for any of the "candidates". . . MA had one season as the part time lead dog after portis left, and he put up a very workmanlike 1,014 rushing yards. . . droughns at least did have a 1,200+ yard campaign, but it's beyond my ability to describe droughns as "the best" anything. . . no offense to the guy, he played hard. . .

our backfield has pretty much been a revolving door of interchangeable parts since we shipped clinton. . . how do you really, honestly pick a "best" from a bunch of guys who weren't really that much different in terms of production, especially when none of them held the job long enough to really provide a sufficient sample size??

:noidea:

come to a conclusion based on the so-called evidence of your eyes-- or pick a name out of a hat. . . i have to admit i'm mostly goping with anderson based on what he did BEFORE we traded portis, but without that you truly are looking at a six of one type of situation. . . actually, i guess the fact that MA's 12 rushing TDs in '05 was the highest total of any of our backs during the specified time period could also be used to support the argument that he was the best, but i still think it's a pretty weak case. . . definitely not one i'd go to war over. . .

i still want knowshon to be the guy, of course. . . i liked him in college, and i do think he has more than he showed us last year. . . i won't lie, i was disappointed with him. . . people will point to the blocking issues, and i don' think they're wrong, but. . . i still wanted more from him. . . his production wasn't awful given the circumstances, but i really never saw the acceleration that he showed in college, or even the few plays he had in our first preseason game. . .

he's not fast, but he has plenty of burst, and fantastic balance, but he really didn't show either of 'em last year. . . i'm aware that it's difficult when you get met in the backfield (he did, plenty of times), but even when he did have creases he looked tentative. . .

i don't know if the knee continued to bother him or if it was just the speed of the game, but he didn't look much like the back i was expecting. . . i hope the combination of the off-time, plus hopefully a full, healthy TC and pre-season, and even more hopefully the addition of some bigger bodies in the trenches will allow him to show his stuff this year. . . we'll see. . . it'll be a monster letdown if he's not the clear and definitive answer to this question by the end of next season-- even a RB can get one mulligan, and he certainly was way too productive to be looked at as any type of bust, but you'd love to see a guy drafted 12th overall to be noticeably better than some of the stiffs shanahan and turner dug up and managed to get production out of. . .

i don't think he has much of any chance of ever topping what portis did in two seasons here, but that's not all on knowshon by any means. . . i just don't see any non-superstar back in this system ever beating what CP was able to do in our ZBS. . . dude was pure lethal, even when everybody knew we were gonna run the ball and he was the focus of our offense. . .

both years, dude averaged freakin' 5.5 YPC, and did it with close to 300 carries. . . that's some SERIOUSLY rarified air right there. . . if we'd kept portis, he might have been talked about with the all-time greats. . . given that he still put up respectable numbers behind a VASTLY inferior OL in washington, and is on the doorstep of 10,000 career yards now, think how much more he could have done-- there's no reason to believe he couldn't have had two or three more seasons like those first two, maybe even a few more-- shanahan wouldn't have run the wheels off a smaller back as quickly as gibbs did, CP's carries went from about 280/year to about 345/year after the trade. . . at least until he got hurt. . .

i've been thrilled to watch champ's magic over the years, and would do that trade again every time, but i can't help but wonder sometimes. . . guy was on an utterly blistering pace here, he fit that scheme to perfection. . .

and we were watching TD before that??

yea, come on, man. . . you really want me to describe tatum bell or selvin young as our "best" back since then?

fug dat, i refuse!

:lol:

i'm stickin' with "nobody" until someone gives me at least 1,400 yards and 10-12 TDs. . . .

Elevation inc
07-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Its easy Mike anderson based on his 2005 season...Rebuen Droughns did well...and that was stupid to get rid of him also.....both bell's brought dynamic to this team....sadly both had attitude issues as well.....i was stoked tatum came back and dominated in that 2007 debacle....We never should have released him, he would have been just what we needed to spell bucky and knowshon with big play threat last year instead of f'in lamont jordan....

if i had to rank the top 5 since portis it would be as follows.....keeping in mind we had such a revolving door its hard to go off a body of work with these guys.....lol

Anderson
Droughns
Mike Bell
Tatum Bell
Knowshon

That being said i think knowshon is about to be the best RB in denver since Portis...he is that good.....people really dont understand rookie Rb's at all......i will leave it at that