PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' training camp attitude rests on new optimism

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15596367

When the Broncos gather for training camp this week, it will be the 13th consecutive year that defensive tackle Jamal Williams has stepped into the summer sun with a football season stretched out in front of him. It will be the 13th consecutive year the same feeling has washed over him.

"It's the start," Williams said. "When we all hit that field the first time, we're 0-0, fresh start, baby. A new year. What's done is done, the past is past, you know, it's all about the future.

"That doesn't mean you like two-a-days, nobody likes two-a-days, but everything is all there for you. You just need some things to go right, work hard and keep the faith."

In a business where criticism comes from all sides, eternal hope always springs from training camp.

Every team arrives believing things can be different, that what went bad the year before can be repaired, that the good can be repeated.

"Definitely," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "You have to do the work, but I think the good teams keep that good feeling going, that attitude, that feeling you can still get a lot of things done.

"When something bad happens, good teams bounce back, they fix it, they understand it, they put it behind them and move on. They deal with it. We didn't always do that last year. We didn't deal with it all the time."

Many of the Broncos have talked about being a better team than the one that finished 8-8 last season after a 6-0 start. They have touted their veteran leadership, and coach Josh McDaniels said he believes the roster's younger players, such as running back Knowshon Moreno, can have a bigger impact this year.

But beneath all that, the Broncos spent much of the offseason trying to calculate all of the reasons their 6-0 feel-good start turned into a 2-8 limp down the stretch.

McDaniels tweaked some of the team's offseason program, doing things like catering the team's conditioning workouts more to specific positions rather than having all of the players do the same things. But there also was some discussion about the other side of the coin.

"It's the National Football League; you can't expect that at some point you're not going to lose," McDaniels said. "And we just didn't handle that well (last season). You have that 'Oh, God, what's wrong?' aspect to it on the outside, but in here we have to find a way to respond to the things that a loss brings. Maintaining things to string wins together is important, but so is how you respond when you don't win, so one loss doesn't become two, two becomes three and so on. We've given that a lot of thought."

McDaniels points to the Broncos' travails last season to make the point. The Broncos were 6-0 when they arrived in Baltimore the first week of November.

The 30-7 loss to a Ravens team that pounded the ball on offense was their first of the season. That started a four- game losing streak before they won back-to-back games against the Giants and Chiefs.

They were 8-4 when they arrived at Indianapolis for a Dec. 13 game against the Colts. The Broncos didn't overcome 21 first-half points by the Colts in what became a 28-16 loss.

That loss also became the first of a four-game losing streak to close out the season.

"I wasn't here, but I think they want people who show up and work, good or bad on Sunday, show up on Monday and get after it," defensive lineman Justin Bannan said. "You can't get down if you're going to get it done. You show up, work and get it done."

Lonestar
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
WOnder if Champ will report in shape this year, wonder if that got everyones attention?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
WOnder if Champ will report in shape this year, wonder if that got everyones attention?

Unless I missed it, I have not heard that Champ was not in shape any year when training camp started.

Lonestar
07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Unless I missed it, I have not heard that Champ was not in shape any year when training camp started.

last year he could not pass Joshes entrance level tests and was put in the end zone with a few others getting into shape to pass it before he was allowed to practice with the rest of the squad.

underrated29
07-25-2010, 02:18 PM

JR is correct...But really- do you honestly believe jr that champ will not be in shape this year, after last years incident?

Lonestar
07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
JR is correct...But really- do you honestly believe jr that champ will not be in shape this year, after last years incident?

not at all I think last year he was surprised it would be that tough and was a bit unprepared.

I suspect that lots of others learned from that and will be ready this year because of it.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2010, 02:30 PM
The following article on MHR states that Champ was on the PUP list - was he there because he was not in shape?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8/1/972322/2009-denver-broncos-training-camp

Of course, the big news of the day, and there seemed to be a lot of it, was the return of Champ Bailey, Renaldo Hill and Marcus Thomas from the PUP list.

underrated29
07-25-2010, 02:53 PM
The following article on MHR states that Champ was on the PUP list - was he there because he was not in shape?

Of course, the big news of the day, and there seemed to be a lot of it, was the return of Champ Bailey, Renaldo Hill and Marcus Thomas from the PUP list.

It could have been a rumor that we all bought into??

But fwiw and how I remember it....Champ had failed joshs physical fitness test, specifically running the drills and finishing within the allotted time.......something about endurance and speed. They had 35 minutes.......or something....whatever...

Point is, champ was not at early TC because he had not passed the phys fit test....Maybe they put him on pup in order to keep an extra guy at tc while champ was out????dunno

But once again, i really think what JR was claiming is the case...( I tend not to forget things related to the broncos) (yes, that makes me a big loser, but i luv it.;))

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2010, 03:05 PM
It could have been a rumor that we all bought into??

But fwiw and how I remember it....Champ had failed joshs physical fitness test, specifically running the drills and finishing within the allotted time.......something about endurance and speed. They had 35 minutes.......or something....whatever...

Point is, champ was not at early TC because he had not passed the phys fit test....Maybe they put him on pup in order to keep an extra guy at tc while champ was out????dunno

But once again, i really think what JR was claiming is the case...( I tend not to forget things related to the broncos) (yes, that makes me a big loser, but i luv it.;))

I was not disputing that Champ was out of shape - just had not heard it. Also, possibly the shape Champ was in when he reported, would have been the same as he was under the previous regime, and which had been totally acceptable.

underrated29
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I was not disputing that Champ was out of shape - just had not heard it. Also, possibly the shape Champ was in when he reported, would have been the same as he was under the previous regime, and which had been totally acceptable.

I know.

That is why I was trying to be more descriptive- to jog that memmory.

Elevation inc
07-26-2010, 12:42 AM

all 3 were PUP'd for failing there conditioning test......they werent allowed to practice untill they passed it.....

Tned
07-26-2010, 07:20 AM

As Elevation said, they were put on the PUP for failing the test. Essentially, it was just a wind sprint, or a series of sprints.

Going by memory, they had to sprint 100 yards three times in a set period of time. The time varied based on the position. So, an offensive lineman had more time to complete the three sprints than a DB did. Of the 80 something guys on the roster at the start of camp, only those three failed to complete the sprints.

As to your previous regime question, I believe the answer would have to be yes, Champ and the other two could very well have shown up under the previous regime and practiced without a problem, because they didn't have a sprint test that had to be passed before practicing. Under the old regime, they would likely have had to be injured or recovering from an injury to not practice and be placed on the PUP.

Again, it's important to note that something like 85 or 88 guys passed the sprint test.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 10:24 PM
As Elevation said, they were put on the PUP for failing the test. Essentially, it was just a wind sprint, or a series of sprints.

Going by memory, they had to sprint 100 yards three times in a set period of time. The time varied based on the position. So, an offensive lineman had more time to complete the three sprints than a DB did. Of the 80 something guys on the roster at the start of camp, only those three failed to complete the sprints.

As to your previous regime question, I believe the answer would have to be yes, Champ and the other two could very well have shown up under the previous regime and practiced without a problem, because they didn't have a sprint test that had to be passed before practicing. Under the old regime, they would likely have had to be injured or recovering from an injury to not practice and be placed on the PUP.

Again, it's important to note that something like 85 or 88 guys passed the sprint test.

correcto

Except for IIRC you can only take 80 to TC.

but then I could be wrong..