PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT, EVERYONE READ: Some Forum Issues that Need to be Addressed

Tned
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
There are a number of issues that need to be addressed. I am listing them all here and will have a link at the bottom to a thread where you can discuss any of these points if you would like.

First:

The tag system is being abused and one of two things will happen very soon. I will either disable offenders ability to post tags, but creating custom code that deletes any tags by those members every x minutes, OR I will just disable the system all together.

I have asked people to only post appropriate tags. Not to use it to to slam people or make other points, and to keep the tags appropriate for the home page, which means limited or no tags on Lounge threads. Here is a selection of tags I am in the process of cleaning up:

clay has a huge wang, wtf?, beef is ghey, lose, avatard, thongs, please no judging, dental floss, kaylore being silly, wanna play hide n go poop, lex getting owned, im with stupid, chiefs suck, generig tag, boobs, dc is a closet bronco fan.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND YOU ARE ABOUT TO CAUSE THE ENTIRE TAG SYSTEM TO BE DISABLED.

I consider it extremely unfair of the members creating tags like above to force me to review and manually delete (or create auto-delete code for certain users) their tags that are abusing the system.

Second:

Some of the polls in the Lounge are getting out of hand. Please read or re-read the sticky in the lounge that describes what is and isn't ok to post, and that states it isn't an "anything goes" forum. We loosened up the modding and rules in there, but that doesn't mean that posters, and especially thread starters, no longer need to retain some semblance of good taste in their posts and polls.

Please help me out by reigning in some of the crude, nonsensical stuff. I know it is the off season and there isn't much going on and polls/threads like that have a snowball effect, where one person creates one and then there is a game of one upmanship, but it is time to pull the plug on those threads.

Third:

Sexual content outside the lounge. Again, please read the sticky in the lounge (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9221). You will see that the following was one of the reasons for creating the lounge:

Also, one of the goals of this forum is to give those that want it, more freedom, but also to keep the other forums even cleaner, more G/PG rated than they currently are. Keep the risque stuff in the Red Light District, don't take it out into the regular forums.

One of the reasons for having the lounge was so that when people wanted to talk about midget sex or cup sizes (or worse), they had a place to do it. Comments like that in welcome threads doesn't create the impression we want people to see day one of joining Broncosforums.com. Not everyone enjoys that type of humor, which is why we have an 'opt-in' forum.

Many of these type comments are borderline and not 'technically' against the rules, but again the reason I created the Lounge was so that we could have the best of both worlds. The Lounge is a place you can make sexual and more off color comments with a fair amount of freedom, BUT the compromise was that we clean up the non-Lounge forums. Lately, we have been dragging more and more of Lounge worthy comments into the general forum.

Thanks in advance for help in addressing these situations.

T

DenverBronkHoes
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
out of hand?

lol

Tned
06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
out of hand?

lol

Thanks for the quality response. Gotta love well thought out input. :confused:

BroncoJoe
06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
I didn't even know we could create tags. I thought it was automatic.

Thanks for all you do, Tned.

Tned
06-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I didn't even know we could create tags. I thought it was automatic.

Thanks for all you do, Tned.

When you create a new thread, at the bottom is a new field called tags. You can enter up to five tags that describe your thread. People other than the thread starter can click edit to the right of where the tags are listed at the bottom of a thread, and they can enter up to two tags for that thread.

tubby
06-19-2008, 07:14 PM
First - I would be pleased to see the tag system disabled completely

Second - Dish out vacations.

Third - Well said.

:2cents:

Tned
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Out of curiousity, why?

haroldthebarrel
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
personally i think visible tags (to get hits) are incredible ugly and annoying.

if you want tags to get hits, just put it in the html code. but thats me.

Buff
06-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not a fan of the tags... My reasoning is that I don't really need someone else to give me keywords to pick the threads I'm going to read. I generally know what posts I want to read already, and I think it's a bit of overkill given the search feature...

Duly noted on the rest though.

dogfish
06-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Third - Well said.

can't say that i've used it a ton or anything, but i think it's kind of a cool feature. . . otherwise, what he said!

BroncoBJ
06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
:lol: @ Midget sex. The stuff people talk about on this site baffles me. But I'll clean up my act and polls and what not in the lounge for you Tned. :salute: I just get bored sometimes and feel like talking about whatever.

And I actually like the Tags. Its pretty cool to go to the top of the page and click on something and see all the threads with that as tags. I like it better then I thought it would be. Its a pretty easy thing to use. Hopefully people stop getting out of hand with it. :salute:

But Thanks for everything you do Tned. I hope everything gets better. :)

Slick
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I have yet to create a tag or even use the feature. I'm sure I will at some point. Sorry you had to even make this type of announcement Tned.

BroncoJoe
06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought about tagging this thread, but decided otherwise...

:heh:

Dreadnought
06-19-2008, 08:26 PM

Third - Well said.

I'm with Tubby here. I don't see the use for the tags.

I try not to get explicit in language even in the Lounge, for the simple reason that I sometimes (often) forget where I am, so my own rule of thumb (not always adhered to 100%) is to only post in language that could appear anywhere. I'm more comfortable that way anyway.

I am almost impossible to offend personally, so I don't mean that as a criticism of any other poster. Its just how I post.

Rick
06-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I see them as being a decently useful feature, but pretty hard to moderate and frankly a bit on the ugly side.

So I am not standing on one side or the other.

if they were to go away I would not cry about it.

claymore
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not a fan of the tags... My reasoning is that I don't really need someone else to give me keywords to pick the threads I'm going to read. I generally know what posts I want to read already, and I think it's a bit of overkill given the search feature...

Duly noted on the rest though.
Yeah I think tags are worthless. Like Meta data for humans, but we already know what we want to read.

And sorry about the clay has a huge wang tag............... My bad

And, I havent started a nasty thread for a while, I was drunk the other night, and might of then, but I dont remember it, and there for it doesnt count.

Thanks Tned, your a Stud.

Hobe
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
There is a rule of thumb in an Internet chat room/list/environment; if it can be abused, it will be abused. Whether they think they are being funny or just needling someone.

The tag cloud has been around for a long time, used almost exclusively by search engine crawlers. However, they were far to prone to abuse and manipulation and are falling out of use with the growth of the Google model. Pulling the cloud to the forefront just lets anybody and everybody mess with it (see above). Other then a fad, what practical use are they? Tned, didn’t waste much of your time or the Mods dealing with tag problems. Its not worth it.

Tag, your it!

frauschieze
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not a fan of the tag cloud personally. Do what you gotta do, Tned. :salute:

elsid13
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I think the tag club makes the board look cheap, and I don't really see any use for them expect to make fun of things.

claymore
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Tned.......... Make me head Mod and all these problems would go a way......... People fear me.

elsid13
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Tned.......... Make me head Mod and all these problems would go a way......... People fear me.

Delusion of grandeur , you must be drinking gin tonight. :D

Rick
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I think from most sentiments here TNed that it is very appreciated that you want to add new features for us users to have here on the boards, we really do appreciate it, but this is one we could probably live without.

claymore
06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Delusion of grandeur , you must be drinking gin tonight. :DYour a wise man.......... :D

girler
06-19-2008, 09:54 PM

I fear you.

Watchthemiddle
06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I could take em or leave em.

I have used the tags for a few threads, but won't miss them if they were taken away.

Tned, you just do what you need to do to make YOUR life and the Mods lives easier.

BeefStew25
06-19-2008, 10:00 PM
If you keep them, Tned, any thread War starts will be tagged by me with 'Postive Thinking'.

Tned
06-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I think from most sentiments here TNed that it is very appreciated that you want to add new features for us users to have here on the boards, we really do appreciate it, but this is one we could probably live without.

That might be, but I tend to like to get a little larger sampling. If it seems that is the feeling after we have it up for another week or so, then I have no problem pulling the plug, as it is just one more thing to moderate/administer.

BeefStew25
06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
That might be, but I tend to like to get a little larger sampling. If it seems that is the feeling after we have it up for another week or so, then I have no problem pulling the plug, as it is just one more thing to moderate/administer.

You could recruit a Tag Nazi. The only problem is that is can't be a former Freak, as we are mostly all too immature.

BroncoBJ
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
You could recruit a Tag Nazi. The only problem is that is can't be a former Freak, as we are mostly all too immature.

Yea, I've yet to see a Freak member who is mature actually. :eek:

girler
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Hey, I'm 21. :tsk:

frauschieze
06-19-2008, 10:30 PM

:eviltongue::eviltongue::eviltongue::eviltongue:

BroncoBJ
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think the tags from the lounge show up on the tag cloud.
Because I've looked at stuff like "Drunk, rum, smoking, etc........"

And none of those show up on the cloud. Unless you removed them from the cloud yourself.
But I think the lounge is seperate from the rest of the forum so I don't think its a big deal.

I think at least... But I don't think they show up on the tag cloud. :salute:

Tned
06-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't think the tags from the lounge show up on the tag cloud.
Because I've looked at stuff like "Drunk, rum, smoking, etc........"

And none of those show up on the cloud. Unless you removed them from the cloud yourself.
But I think the lounge is seperate from the rest of the forum so I don't think its a big deal.

I think at least... But I don't think they show up on the tag cloud. :salute:

THey might not, I would have to check. I do remember something about the cloud being generated based on what a regular member/or guest would see, meaning no "private" type forums, of which the Lounge kind of is being opt-in.

However, quite a few of the tags I had to delete were out of the lounge. Some in smack, so in poltics and stuff.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
out of hand?

lol

If the Administrator says its a problem you would well advised to take it seriously.

BroncoBJ
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
THey might not, I would have to check. I do remember something about the cloud being generated based on what a regular member/or guest would see, meaning no "private" type forums, of which the Lounge kind of is being opt-in.

However, quite a few of the tags I had to delete were out of the lounge. Some in smack, so in poltics and stuff.

Yea, I just looked at the tags in the 1st page of the lounge now and didn't see any of the tags on the tag cloud So I don't think it matters I guess. Not sure though.

I hope it all works out though. :salute:
The Tags are cool IMO but I could live without them like most people. But I'd rather have them then not have them.

Retired_Member_001
06-20-2008, 05:04 AM
The tag system at the top looks abit ugly in my opinion. I don't know why, it just throws off the nice and simple design of the board.

Is there anyway for me to get it off my screen?

Tned
06-20-2008, 06:33 AM
The tag system at the top looks abit ugly in my opinion. I don't know why, it just throws off the nice and simple design of the board.

Is there anyway for me to get it off my screen?

No way to remove on a user/user basis, but in a few days, but over the weekend or sometime next week I will move it from the top, to the bottom of the page.

Then, another week or so after that, we can decide whether we want the tag system or want it removed. I like to give things we trial a little time for people to get used to before making a decision.

broncogirl7
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I like the idea of moving it to the bottom of the page. Tags are useful when used appropriately, especially for visitors to the board or if you want to do a quick search for "Jay Cutler" threads.

atwater27
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I made the tags pre-adolescent smack and trollspeak . They were short, descriptive, and more importantly, accurate. What better term could better describe any post from coltsowndonks?

BroncoFanatic
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
IMO the Tag cloud is an eye sore. I don't mind the tags on the thread titles, but I wouldn't miss them if ended up unconscious on some Vegas street corner :heh:

BroncoBJ
06-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Tned..... is it possible to have a section up top called "Tag Cloud" or something like that.
So you can just click on it and see all the tags?
UP where the User CP, Members photos, FAQ, etc... is at?

That could work so it wouldn't get in peoples ways and what not. :salute:

nj10
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I could live without the tags...

BroncoBJ
06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I could live without the tags...

I'm pretty sure everyone could. :lol:
I could live without a lot of things. :salute:

nj10
06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you for taking that at its most literal meaning...:rolleyes:

BroncoBJ
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Thank you for taking that at its most literal meaning...:rolleyes:

No problem man. :salute:

Devilspawn
06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I think it's pretty useless. A great search engine specific to your query will do just fine.

For example, I clicked on the diabetes tag and got five threads. When I searched for diabetes, 51 threads came up. And if I wanted specific posts, a tag doesn't give you that option. It gives you the thole thread whee you have to do some fishing around.

And this search engine is much better and easier than the one at Mania. It drops down, you type your word, specify either a specific post or thread, and you're good.

I don't get why tags are so popular when a search engine is the mother of all tags.

Rick
06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Or if nothing else throw the tags into one of the blocks on the home page if it can, I am sure it probably can but just not sure how it would look all crammed.

That way it is just on the home page, and a user can actually collapse a block if they want.

*edit* never mind, looks like you have that set up allready lol, just looked :)

On that note then not sure i would even worry about tags in the actual forums, if people want to search trough them let them do it off home :)

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:32 PM
There are a number of issues that need to be addressed. I am listing them all here and will have a link at the bottom to a thread where you can discuss any of these points if you would like.

First:

The tag system is being abused and one of two things will happen very soon. I will either disable offenders ability to post tags, but creating custom code that deletes any tags by those members every x minutes, OR I will just disable the system all together.

I have asked people to only post appropriate tags. Not to use it to to slam people or make other points, and to keep the tags appropriate for the home page, which means limited or no tags on Lounge threads. Here is a selection of tags I am in the process of cleaning up:

clay has a huge wang, wtf?, beef is ghey, lose, avatard, thongs, please no judging, dental floss, kaylore being silly, wanna play hide n go poop, lex getting owned, im with stupid, chiefs suck, generig tag, boobs, dc is a closet bronco fan.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND YOU ARE ABOUT TO CAUSE THE ENTIRE TAG SYSTEM TO BE DISABLED.

I consider it extremely unfair of the members creating tags like above to force me to review and manually delete (or create auto-delete code for certain users) their tags that are abusing the system.

Second:

Some of the polls in the Lounge are getting out of hand. Please read or re-read the sticky in the lounge that describes what is and isn't ok to post, and that states it isn't an "anything goes" forum. We loosened up the modding and rules in there, but that doesn't mean that posters, and especially thread starters, no longer need to retain some semblance of good taste in their posts and polls.

Please help me out by reigning in some of the crude, nonsensical stuff. I know it is the off season and there isn't much going on and polls/threads like that have a snowball effect, where one person creates one and then there is a game of one upmanship, but it is time to pull the plug on those threads.

Third:

Sexual content outside the lounge. Again, please read the sticky in the lounge (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9221). You will see that the following was one of the reasons for creating the lounge:

One of the reasons for having the lounge was so that when people wanted to talk about midget sex or cup sizes (or worse), they had a place to do it. Comments like that in welcome threads doesn't create the impression we want people to see day one of joining Broncosforums.com. Not everyone enjoys that type of humor, which is why we have an 'opt-in' forum.

Many of these type comments are borderline and not 'technically' against the rules, but again the reason I created the Lounge was so that we could have the best of both worlds. The Lounge is a place you can make sexual and more off color comments with a fair amount of freedom, BUT the compromise was that we clean up the non-Lounge forums. Lately, we have been dragging more and more of Lounge worthy comments into the general forum.

T

You are trying to duplicate Broncos Country with a free for all environment, won't work.
All of these bulletins are unnecessary, make a set of rules and stick to them.
The rules are the rules no ifs ands or buts.
I know you need active members but allowing nonsense to compensate for the lack of activity is counterproductive........:2cents:

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 08:37 PM
You are trying to duplicate Broncos Country with a free for all environment, won't work.
I know you need active members but allowing nonsense to compensate for the lack of activity is counterproductive........:2cents:

WTH????:confused:

BC is not a free for all.

This place is way more lenient.

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:43 PM
WTH????:confused:

BC is not a free for all.

This place is way more lenient.

Who said Broncos Country is a free for all?

Not me......

MOtorboat
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I mean, I usually reserve judgment, but Raiders fans really are idiots aren't they.

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 08:45 PM
You are trying to duplicate Broncos Country with a free for all environment,

Uh, YOU DID :rolleyes:

slim
06-20-2008, 08:46 PM

What?

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
I mean, I usually reserve judgment, but Raiders fans really are idiots aren't they.

Typical response, I have a lot of friends that post here and on BC, they feel different than you about me.......

slim
06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical response, I have a lot of friends that post here and on BC, they feel different than you about me.......

So your friends like you? That's cool. I don't often find people that are respected by their friends.

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Dude, even your best friends would wonder what the hell you'd been smoking after your last post.

I mean I QUOTED YOUR POST!!! And you had no idea what you had said.

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Dude, even your best friends would wonder what the hell you'd been smoking after your last post.

I mean I QUOTED YOUR POST!!! And you had no idea what you had said.

Reading comprehension is not your friend.

girler
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Here, you can have your money back. FTIW. :2cents:

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Reading comprehension is not your friend.

Seriously, go back and read what you wrote.

If that wasn't the message you were trying to get across, then you need help with your writing.

This is what you wrote.

The comprehension to this is that you said Tned is trying to duplicate the free for all eviron of Broncos Country.

It's so easy to comprehend, even a first grader will get it.

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I love how you guys attack me with no valid points......

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 08:59 PM

If that wasn't the message you were trying to get across, then you need help with your writing.

This is what you wrote.

The comprehension to this is that you said Tned is trying to duplicate the free for all eviron of Broncos Country.

OMG this is comical... :laugh:

RE-READ THE POST A BIT SLOWER AND PUT SOME THOUGHT INTO IT

slim

This is what you wrote.

Huh?

Kapaibro

WHAT????????????

You wrote this

Why in the hell would you write that?

I wondered what the hell you were saying and then you denied all knowledge of it, and then YOU ATTACKED me and my reading comprehension.

Pray tell, what the hell did you mean but the above quote?

Explain.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Please - back to topic.

LordTrychon
06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
WHAT????????????

You wrote this

Why in the hell would you write that?

I wondered what the hell you were saying and then you denied all knowledge of it, and thgen YOU ATTACKED me and my reading comprehension.

Pray tell, what the hell did you mean but the above quote?

Explain.

Put a 'but' in front of the 'with' and I think you'll get what he intended to imply.

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Put a 'but' in front of the 'with' and I think you'll get what he intended to imply.

Well hell, if I have to read his mind, why the heck do we have the internet, or a damned keyboard on the computer?

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not here to argue with imbeciles. My point was made.
Have a good night everyone......

slim
06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm not here to argue with imbeciles. My point was made.
Have a good night everyone......

Of course not, if you were you would be on a rayturds board.

Now, what can I do for you?

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 09:10 PM
You know, you guys (the ones who left BC) really show your true colors over here. That says a lot about this board and the members.....

slim
06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
You know, you guys (the ones who left BC) really show your true colors over here. That says a lot about this board and the members.....

What?

What is BC?

girler
06-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Mr. 11 posts is pretty knowledgeable about everybody here. I wonder if he's been stalking us??? :eek:

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
What?

What is BC?

Bronco's Country aka Broncomania aka the Free for Al environ!

girler
06-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Bronco's Country aka Broncomania aka the Free for Al environ!

Oh I thought it was that one comic about cavemen.

Tned
06-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Tned..... is it possible to have a section up top called "Tag Cloud" or something like that.
So you can just click on it and see all the tags?
UP where the User CP, Members photos, FAQ, etc... is at?

That could work so it wouldn't get in peoples ways and what not. :salute:

Yes, I could, or could just leave it under the search button as it is now. I'll either move it to the bottom tomorrow, or remove it from all but the homepage for now, and then make a final decision on tags in general down the road.

As to RF76's comments. I think what he was saying was we were trying to recreate a message board like Broncos Country, but with a free for all environment, rather than the strict rules they have. His point is that it won't work, or something to that effect.

slim
06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I have no idea what is going on in this thread but I would suggest y'all get back on topic.

Now, tags suck and so do raider fans.

Do I have any objections?

girler
06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, I could, or could just leave it under the search button as it is now. I'll either move it to the bottom tomorrow, or remove it from all but the homepage for now, and then make a final decision on tags in general down the road.

As to RF76's comments. I think what he was saying was we were trying to recreate a message board like Broncos Country, but with a free for all environment, rather than the strict rules they have. His point is that it won't work, or something to that effect.

I think both you and your forum are awesome, T!

And that guy can still have his :2cents: back. :tsk:

slim
06-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I think both you and your forum are awesome, T!

And that guy can still have his :2cents: back. :tsk:

T is the best. If he wasn't married...well, I can't say here. But......

Tned
06-20-2008, 09:18 PM
T is the best. If he wasn't married...well, I can't say here. But......

Would you do my taxes :lol:

MOtorboat
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Would you do my taxes :lol:

Look, Tned, just because he is an accountant, doesn't really mean that you want him doing your taxes.

Just saying...

girler
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Look, Tned, just because he is an accountant, doesn't really mean that you want him doing your taxes.

Just saying...

I'm going to be quoting Ghostbusters in my head all night now. :coffee:

MOtorboat
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm going to be quoting Ghostbusters in my head all night now. :coffee:

That's from Ghostbusters?

Raiderfan76
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Now, tags suck and so do raider fans.

And constant comments like this is the sole reason this message board will never be diverse.........

Kapaibro
06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Back on topic.

The tags.... borderline useless. If you must have them, please put them at the bottom.

The Lounge behaviour outside of the lounge does concern me, and other who have stopped posting here.

It does seem that people are pushing and pushing on the line of the rules, and deliberately circumventing filters etc.

slim
06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
And constant comments like this is the sole reason this message board will never be diverse.........

Thanks, beef.

MOtorboat
06-20-2008, 09:25 PM

Then, please, by all means, run along back to wherever it is you came from.

girler
06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
That's from Ghostbusters?

Who does your taxes, eh?

MOtorboat
06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Who does your taxes, eh?

Plead the Fifth.

Tned
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Ok, I have moved the tag cloud to the bottom of the page for now, and we will give it a couple weeks and see how it goes. If after that time, most find them useless, then we will remove them, for it will be one less thing to admin.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok, I have moved the tag cloud to the bottom of the page for now, and we will give it a couple weeks and see how it goes. If after that time, most find them useless, then we will remove them, for it will be one less thing to admin.

Thanks - :salute: Much better there

BroncoBJ
06-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Nice to see my buddy RF76 on this site and posting. :salute:

Raiderfan76
06-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Nice to see my buddy RF76 on this site and posting. :salute:

You're in the minority :lol:

:beer:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Tned,

I like the tag cloud WAY better at the bottom!

Thank you :D

I also would bet that people will find the tags more helpful during the season... I can already guess that they'd be helpful when attempting to start a new thread, and things like that.

Retired_Member_001
06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
No way to remove on a user/user basis, but in a few days, but over the weekend or sometime next week I will move it from the top, to the bottom of the page.

Then, another week or so after that, we can decide whether we want the tag system or want it removed. I like to give things we trial a little time for people to get used to before making a decision.

Much better.

I'm still not a fan of it, but it's better at the bottom.

Thanks alot.

Tned
06-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Much better.

I'm still not a fan of it, but it's better at the bottom.

Thanks alot.

Will give it a time and make a final decision on them.

Nice avvy.

Tned
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I am getting seriously friggin pissed at tags like this:

mo owns lex, mo rides the short bus

dogfish
06-21-2008, 02:12 PM

give 'em a little vacation to think it over, they'll treat you with a little more respect when they get back. . . :heh:

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
give 'em a little vacation to think it over, they'll treat you with a little more respect when they get back. . . :heh:

Yeah... this sort of thing should probably be dealt with less leniency than a regular personal insult...

But that's for you guys to decide. Mainly I had a question... you are the one that keeps bringing this all up... is it something that is not moderated by the moderators? Or is this just because it's your new toy?

Tned
06-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah... this sort of thing should probably be dealt with less leniency than a regular personal insult...

But that's for you guys to decide. Mainly I had a question... you are the one that keeps bringing this all up... is it something that is not moderated by the moderators? Or is this just because it's your new toy?

It is being brought up because it is a global issue. I could PM 5 people today, and 10 people tomorrow, etc., but that shouldn't be necessary. The escalation in the lounge, the borderline language outside the lounge and the innapropriate tags are a global issue, and I want to make sure everyone is clear on what is and isn't ok, before any punishment is handed out.

Unlike many message boards, I assume that I am dealing with adults and that first and foremost, the members should police themselves for the most part and the mods should primarily be dealing with the 'heat of the moment' stuff and people who aren't here long term, but instead show up to cause trouble and get reactions from people.

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
It is being brought up because it is a global issue. I could PM 5 people today, and 10 people tomorrow, etc., but that shouldn't be necessary. The escalation in the lounge, the borderline language outside the lounge and the innapropriate tags are a global issue, and I want to make sure everyone is clear on what is and isn't ok, before any punishment is handed out.

Unlike many message boards, I assume that I am dealing with adults and that first and foremost, the members should police themselves for the most part and the mods should primarily be dealing with the 'heat of the moment' stuff and people who aren't here long term, but instead show up to cause trouble and get reactions from people.

So to answer the question, yes the moderators can moderate tags?

:laugh:

It's amazing the number of 'adults' I've run across that just love to cause trouble or get reactions. In the end, I think they're the minority... they just make bigger splashes.

Devilspawn
06-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Who the hell is mo?

Tned
06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
So to answer the question, yes the moderators can moderate tags?

:laugh:

It's amazing the number of 'adults' I've run across that just love to cause trouble or get reactions. In the end, I think they're the minority... they just make bigger splashes.

Moderators cannot see who created tags, I have to do that. Moderators can't fully delete tags, I have to do that. I think that they can edit tags on a thread by thread basis, however, since I need to see who is blowing off my direction on this matter, I have asked the mods to leave me to deal with tags at this point.

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Moderators cannot see who created tags, I have to do that. Moderators can't fully delete tags, I have to do that. I think that they can edit tags on a thread by thread basis, however, since I need to see who is blowing off my direction on this matter, I have asked the mods to leave me to deal with tags at this point.

Ah... that sucks, Tned... anyway to allow the mods to see who tagged stuff?

If not, I say that's one more argument against them. No reason to put more on you than we have to... :salute:

Tned
06-21-2008, 03:39 PM

If not, I say that's one more argument against them. No reason to put more on you than we have to... :salute:

Not that I can tell, it has required custom code, not easily implemented into the mod control panel.

Dreadnought
06-21-2008, 03:41 PM

I agree - big pain in the wazoo with no payoff. Whats not to like?

Retired_Member_001
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice avvy.

Thanks alot :beer:.

I am sorry but you will NEVER be able to control everything that goes into the Tag cloud. People know that the tags will be seen. Even if you delete these tags every 5 minutes, posters will continue to abuse the system because they know it gets their stupid message across.

Tned
06-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks alot :beer:.

I am sorry but you will NEVER be able to control everything that goes into the Tag cloud. People know that the tags will be seen. Even if you delete these tags every 5 minutes, posters will continue to abuse the system because they know it gets their stupid message across.

It's no different than following rules in the open forum. If we are going to assume that nobody will follow the rules of the tag systme, therefore we must remove the system, then wouldn't it follow that nobody will follow the rules of the message board, so therefore we must remove it? Where does it stop?

Day1BroncoFan
06-21-2008, 05:50 PM
There will always be those whom will push the limits. It is human nature.

I didn't even know about tags until I read this thread. I can live without them or with them.

BroncoBJ
06-21-2008, 05:59 PM
It's no different than following rules in the open forum. If we are going to assume that nobody will follow the rules of the tag systme, therefore we must remove the system, then wouldn't it follow that nobody will follow the rules of the message board, so therefore we must remove it? Where does it stop?

Yea but people like this msg board so they follow the rules. But people don't like the tag cloud thing so they try to abuse it so they will get thier way and the tag cloud will be removed. They figure thier getting under your skin that way. So I suggest you just ban the people who abuse it and keep the tags.

Don't let the people who abuse it get thier way by creating silly tags.

I'd like to see the tags stay. You're too nice sometimes Tned and people try to take advantage of you. :(

Reidman
06-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Ummm...

I'm new here..

What's the tag system..?:noidea:

Tned
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Yea but people like this msg board so they follow the rules. But people don't like the tag cloud thing so they try to abuse it so they will get thier way and the tag cloud will be removed. They figure thier getting under your skin that way. So I suggest you just ban the people who abuse it and keep the tags.

Don't let the people who abuse it get thier way by creating silly tags.

I'd like to see the tags stay. You're too nice sometimes Tned and people try to take advantage of you. :(

Yep, and I am stubborn enough, that while my primary goal with this message board is to always have it represent the wishes of the community at hole, I just get friggin pissed when people screw with me by blowing off the rules in place.

The tag system is here for at least a few weeks on a trial system, just like the High Five system and MHS before it. Many people were adamantly opposed to those as well, and if I had ONLY listened to the vocal opponents, we would have neither.

Once we have all had a chance to see how we feel about it, then a decision will be made whether to keep it permanently or turn it off.

In the mean time, people have to respect the rules.

Tned
06-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Ummm...

I'm new here..

http://broncosforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=19

LordTrychon
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Ummm...

I'm new here..

*tags Reid*

You're it.

*runs away*

BroncoBJ
06-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Yep, and I am stubborn enough, that while my primary goal with this message board is to always have it represent the wishes of the community at hole, I just get friggin pissed when people screw with me by blowing off the rules in place.

The tag system is here for at least a few weeks on a trial system, just like the High Five system and MHS before it. Many people were adamantly opposed to those as well, and if I had ONLY listened to the vocal opponents, we would have neither.

Once we have all had a chance to see how we feel about it, then a decision will be made whether to keep it permanently or turn it off.

Yea, :( ... Well I like the way you run things around here. :salute:
Hopefully people can start respecting the rules more and know what to say and what not to say. I know it must take a lot of patience. Because I would get pissed deleting tags all the time because people cant follow the rules.

Good luck :salute:

Slick
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM

I appreciate your stubbornness. I think JC4MVP said it pretty well. Maybe some posters ways of not liking the tag system is to abuse it instead of just posting their thoughts on it.

I hate the fact that you have to spend time cleaning them up. You are still the Head Honcho even though you've chosen to let the inmates run the asylum so to speak. I like it when you can spend time posting instead of administrating. You bring a lot to the table as a poster. (Yes, I have a man crush on Tned.):shocked: Maybe you can get someone else to help you with those types of admin duties?

I thought I read where you said it would take special coding to let the mods help out with the tags. A vice admin?

BroncoBJ
06-21-2008, 08:55 PM
(Yes, I have a man crush on Tned.)

:fight: :fight:

Tned
06-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I appreciate your stubbornness. I think JC4MVP said it pretty well. Maybe some posters ways of not liking the tag system is to abuse it instead of just posting their thoughts on it.

I hate the fact that you have to spend time cleaning them up. You are still the Head Honcho even though you've chosen to let the inmates run the asylum so to speak. I like it when you can spend time posting instead of administrating. You bring a lot to the table as a poster. (Yes, I have a man crush on Tned.):shocked: Maybe you can get someone else to help you with those types of admin duties?

I thought I read where you said it would take special coding to let the mods help out with the tags. A vice admin?

Actually, Den21 pointed out what an idiot I was (He didn't say it that way ;)). Actually, any moderator can view who created a tag by clicking "edit tags" and therefore deal with posters on a case by case basis. It's a tool-tip/mouse hover thing that I hadn't noticed, so I now will be able to get help in dealing with tag abusers (that just sounds wrong).

Slick
06-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Actually, Den21 pointed out what an idiot I was (He didn't say it that way ;)). Actually, any moderator can view who created a tag by clicking "edit tags" and therefore deal with posters on a case by case basis. It's a tool-tip/mouse hover thing that I hadn't noticed, so I now will be able to get help in dealing with tag abusers (that just sounds wrong).

Den always has a gentlemanly way of putting things.

Hopefully the maturity level will rise a bit after your announcement. As much as the human nature makes us want to test the limits, we all know how good we have it here on this board and I'd hate to see us lose the basis for what you founded BF in the first place. I've yet to see a better message board.

dogfish
06-21-2008, 11:22 PM

sorry for sounding like a broken record, but just ban their asses-- that's where it'll stop. . . if they can't show some basic respect to you of all people, show 'em the door. . . .

BroncoBJ
06-21-2008, 11:29 PM
sorry for sounding like a broken record, but just ban their asses-- that's where it'll stop. . . if they can't show some basic respect to you of all people, show 'em the door. . . .

I agree.

Give them what they deserve. :salute:

Tned
06-22-2008, 12:05 AM

I understand and in general your right, but in this case we have some otherwise good folks pushing the limits of a new toy.

girler
06-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I understand and in general your right, but in this case we have some otherwise good folks pushing the limits of a new toy.

You're a dad, aren't you? :lol:

Tned
06-22-2008, 12:29 AM
You're a dad, aren't you? :lol:

Only to two Poodles. Don't ask for details, but their mom was one hot pup...

LordTrychon
06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Only to two Poodles. Don't ask for details, but their mom was one hot pup...

You can say this and get away with it.

I say I'm in Casper, WY.... and I'm the butt of every Sheep joke there is known to man.

:tsk:

:lol:

Tned
06-22-2008, 01:01 AM

I say I'm in Casper, WY.... and I'm the butt of every Sheep joke there is known to man.

Well, when you live in a state that only has something like two cities over 20,000 people, you have to figure you are in line for some jokes ;)

LordTrychon
06-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, when you live in a state that only has something like two cities over 20,000 people, you have to figure you are in line for some jokes ;)

We have 3 or 4 damnit! :tsk:

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 02:27 AM

I had lived in DEN for most of my life and was shocked a few years back when I drove through Cheyenne on I-80 and there was like three or four exits for the city..

Hell I think Midland has more than that.. TX can you help me out on how many for sure..

Kapaibro
06-22-2008, 02:35 AM

Try being a New Zealander. :rolleyes:

But heck I just tell people there's a reason NZ lamb is so damned tender! :laugh:

Reidman
06-22-2008, 05:37 AM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=19

LMAO at the fact that people will find a way to abuse a tool to help find threads...:lol:

Sorry Tned, I know it's probably a serious issue...

BroncoJoe
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
<< A bit off topic >>

T - when I click on "New Posts" and read through a thread, then hit the new posts link again, the thread is still highlighted as having new posts, even though there isn't any new posts.

Sorry to post in here, but wanted to let you know, and couldn't find the right thread.

Edit: It seems to be working now.

Tned
06-22-2008, 01:46 PM
<< A bit off topic >>

T - when I click on "New Posts" and read through a thread, then hit the new posts link again, the thread is still highlighted as having new posts, even though there isn't any new posts.

Sorry to post in here, but wanted to let you know, and couldn't find the right thread.

Edit: It seems to be working now.

It has to do with the way vBulletin uses cookies and timeouts to determine new threads. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it gets confused, especially if you are accessing it from two computers in relatively short time frame (10 minutes or so).

There is a better way to handle new posts, but the one time I switched over to it late at night, the people on at the time didn't like it. There is an option to track in the vBulletin DB what you have and haven't read and don't use cookies. However, one problem with this method (the alternative method) is after you read or reply to a thread, it doesn't just stay on the 'new posts' list unhighlighted like we now have, but it dissapears all together.

Thnikkaman
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM

First:

Second:

Third:

T

I know that I am am guilty of making one of those tags, and I thought that the tag would be a good fit for that thread, and all threads that are funny and stupid. But I digress that you didn't feel the same way about it.

I am on the fence about the tag system. It is a trend in web 2.0 that is interesting, but doesn't really have a place on a forum IMO. Its great for a blog where there isn't already a structure for categorizing posts. And this forum already has a good search system. Right now, if it was put to a vote, I would be for getting rid of the tag system.

tubby
06-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey, what happened to House Wigger?

Thnikkaman
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey, what happened to House Wigger?

It will come back. That is just my HD tribute.

Nature Boy
06-24-2008, 04:43 AM
I don't even use the tags. Does anyone else? Sometimes extra stuff is just too much, becomes clutter.

BroncoBJ
06-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I don't like the Tags at the bottom of the page too much. I guess cause I'm too lazy to go down there and read them :lol:

Is there a way to have it at the top and have it under a "show/hide" menu.

Where If I click to " hide tags" then it will just evaperate and then if I click to show it, it will pop back up?

Don't know if you could do that. That be a neat thing to try.
Hopefully people start using tags more nowadays :salute:

Az Snake
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I can't believe that I read this whole thread !

Thanks Tned ?

dogfish
06-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I can't believe that I read this whole thread !

Thanks Tned ?

i can't believe you never post outside of P + R anymore. . . . :tsk:

Dreadnought
06-26-2008, 08:20 PM

AZ is on a mission Dogfish. We all have our calling, and he has his.

girler
06-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Well I never post IN P&R so it makes up for it. Probably also why I never see AZ.