PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Broncos: Top 10 Players Who Need to Step Up

T.K.O.
07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
2010 Broncos: Top 10 Players Who Need to Step Up

http://broncotalk.net/2010/07/15866/broncos-blog/top-ten/2010-broncos-top-10-players-who-need-to-step-up/
Posted Tue Jul 13th by Mr.East
If the Broncos are to succeed this upcoming season many of their players are going to have to turn it up to eleven.

A PSA for everyone before we begin.

No! Not Tim Tebow! Just stop it!

Back to your regular scheduled broadcasting.

10. Ronald Fields & Jamal Williams

They may be two different players but they should rotate and play like one. Ronald Fields had a pretty good season last year, but he wore down in the stretch due to the lack of rotation at the nose tackle position. If the Bronco’s defensive line is going to hold up, these boys are going to have to hold their end of the bargain.

9. Darcel McBath

Sadly enough, Brian Dawkins won’t be around forever. The Broncos will need the young Darcel McBath to fill his size 116 tackle shoes. This year the Broncos brass will find a way to put McBath in some plays, and he will have to make the most of it. Before his unfortunately forearm injury McBath was having a decent season, as far as rookies who back up hall of fame safeties go. McBath’s best game was the same that ended his season, the Indianapolis Colts game. Game footage found here.

If you watch the first touchdown you’ll notice Dawkins and the secondary getting beat on the touchdown by a worthy Dallas Clark (You’ll also notice Elvis Dumervil looking clueless in coverage). As you continue to watch the first part of the clip you’ll see that Dawkins and Wesley Woodyard take turns on being burned by Clark (Woodyard really blew the coverage on the 3rd touchdown).

Finally, in the first part of the second half, Peyton Manning throws an interception to McBath, whose timing and coverage is perfect (McBath in the game due to Dawkins getting banged up). What the video clip does not show is McBath laying the smack down to Dallas Clark on a third and long. McBath managed to hit Clark so hard that he lost control of the ball on a critical third down. Unfortunately McBath would leave, and Woodyard would yet again blow the coverage on the goal line and let Clark go in wide open.

8. Mario Haggan

It was a surprise to many that Mario Haggan survived the 2009 roster massacre. It was even more surprising that Haggan became the starter at the right outside linebacker position. Now going into the second year in the McDaniels era, Haggan is primed to be the start at the inside linebacker position, replacing the long forgotten Andra Davis. This prospect is a little scary for me, but knowing the surprising nature of Mario Haggan I will wait to hold judgement. What I do know is that D.J. Williams can’t do it all by himself.

7. Demaryius Thomas

Josh McDaniels said that he hopes to have a lot of “number one” wide receivers this season. While that sounds nice and all, the rest of us are hoping that the first overall pick of Denver’s draft can shine in that spot. Now, I don’t expect Thomas to immediately rise the the number spot (thanks to the Lions I have nightmares about rookie wide receivers). What I do expect though is to see flashes of greatness. I want to see plays like Brandon Marshall made against the Seahawks his rookie year.

6. Eddie Royal

Eddie Royal didn’t have a disappointing sophomore season. I wouldn’t call a punt return and a kick return on Monday Night Football in the heart of San Diego disappointing. However, I would call nagging injuries, a new offense, and a severe case of over targeting Marshall unfortunate. Now that the offense is more clear and his body is healthy Royal should produce. Eddie needs this year just as much as the Bronco’s need him to have it.

5. Robert Ayers

Come on Rob, Denver already has one Jarvis Moss on team, and the sad part is that he’s beating you out. Mike Mayock once said in three years that Robert Ayers will be the best defensive player of the 2009 draft. The population of Denver is waiting for those words to reign true. If Ayers can put it together this season Denver’s linebacking corps would be solid. Without a good right outside linebacker to set the edge Denver’s defense will be quite susceptible.

4. Knowshon Moreno

It is apparent that Kyle Orton can’t do it all by himself, so this year Knowshon needs to give him some help. The bar was set quite high for Moreno last season, not even 1,160 combined yards and 9 touchdowns could clear it. Knowshon showed some flashes of brilliance last year that excited the cult of Orange and Blue. However, he would often fumble or fall over his feet which had us rushing to drink the kool-aid. Moreno attributed some of his rookie blunders to over thinking and lack of preparation for a full NFL season. This season Moreno will have to rush for over at least 1,000 yards to deem the season as a success.

3. J.D. Walton

It’s fair to say that J.D. Walton is the Center of attention. Nearly everyone is expecting him to start on day one. I don’t think this is too tall of an order for Walton, seeing how light Denver’s roster is Center-wise. What I do think is that if Denver wants to be successful offensively, it all starts up front. Despite the fact that he made the Pro-Bowl a season earlier, Casey Weigmann’s play really fell off. Some people say it was becomes of the shift in the system, but I don’t think it was much to ask for him not to false start at least once a game. Walton should put some more youth on the line and keep them intact at the season wears on.

2. Andre Goodman

The man across from Champ Bailey. Andre Goodman has some good plays and some not so good plays last season. For this aging corner to see another season as a Bronco he will have to play much better than he did last year. There are plently of young corners vying to take his job, so Goodman has a lot to worry about.It doesn’t matter that Goodman was one of McDaniels’ first free agent signings. Not a draft has gone by where McDaniels hasn’t taken a corner. Denver cannot stand another season with another corner getting burnt on important plays.

1. Kyle Orton

Obvious, but true. Denver can not will not succeed behind an ineffective Kyle Orton. Unfortunately for Orton, he has little room for failure. Every “expert” in the sports world expects Kyle Orton to fail in 2010. Given the nature of quarterbacks, they’re being over dramatic. This will be Orton’s second season in McDaniel’s complex offensive system. A season under his belt should make him more comfortable and confident, and if my memory serves me correct, his last season was far from abysmal.

Now I’m not here to start up an Orton “lovefest”, the guy has a giant tick sheet of negatives that go beyond arm strength. The truth is, he is the starter and he found great success at times last year in a new complex system. Another truth is the leash will is very short for Orton. Every move he will make will be under giant scrutiny. He’ll feel the pain of Jake Plummer as he hears the Tebow and Quinn chants. Kyle will try as hard as he can to make every right move throughout the season.

Everyone knows that Orton has an expiration date, but just when will the milk spoil?

NorCalBronco7
07-24-2010, 06:56 PM
1: Ayers

2: Orton

3: Royal

4: Moreno

5: Thomas

:salute:

Lonestar
07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
nice talking points.. Good job

Bosco
07-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Meh.

TXBRONC
07-24-2010, 08:09 PM
1: Ayers

2: Orton

3: Royal

4: Moreno

5: Thomas

:salute:

I agree with your top five but I think I would have Ayers and Orton be 1a and 1b and doesn't matter what order you have them in. Orton obviously because he is more than likely starting quarterback when the season begins. Ayers because need some other than Dumervil who can rush the passer and it would be nice tandem of outside rushers that offensive coordinators have to worry about.

Dreadnought
07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I agree with your top five but I think I would have Ayers and Orton be 1a and 1b and doesn't matter what order you have them in. Orton obviously because he is more than likely starting quarterback when the season begins. Ayers because need some other than Dumervil who can rush the passer and it would be nice tandem of outside rushers that offensive coordinators have to worry about.

As far as players go...

1. Moreno

1A and 1B. Moreno

2. Everybody else exc. Tim Tebow - from whom I expect nothing in 2010. I think we know Orton's ceiling. Doesn't mean he isn't a valuable guy on the roster, but he is who he is. I have faith that Royal is just fine, or will be in a well thought out offense. We'll see. Jabar Gaffney needs to perform, but he is who he is as well; and uninspiring if solid pro. Its not like anyone is counting on Pro Bowl type production from the guy.

The big question for me to be answered is if Knowshon Moreno is as good as he was advertised prior to 2009, or is he in fact the listless stiff that we watched in November and December of 2009?

broncobryce
07-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Moreno and Ayers need to step up for sure. If the line can hold a block I expect Moreno to get about 1300 yards this season. The line is young and banged up though, so we shall see. As for Ayers, I don't see how he doesn't have a better year off of just playing time alone. I thought he was close last season, just missing on some sacks.

TXBRONC
07-24-2010, 08:48 PM
As far as players go...

1. Moreno

1A and 1B. Moreno

2. Everybody else exc. Tim Tebow - from whom I expect nothing in 2010. I think we know Orton's ceiling. Doesn't mean he isn't a valuable guy on the roster, but he is who he is. I have faith that Royal is just fine, or will be in a well thought out offense. We'll see. Jabar Gaffney needs to perform, but he is who he is as well; and uninspiring if solid pro. Its not like anyone is counting on Pro Bowl type production from the guy.

The big question for me to be answered is if Knowshon Moreno is as good as he was advertised prior to 2009, or is he in fact the listless stiff that we watched in November and December of 2009?

Fair enough.

I would still say Ayers should be in there somewhere. Dumervil is a terrific pass rusher but someone has someone else has to step up and since Ayers was drafted in part because of his pass rushing skills I think it's important for him start delivering on his vast potential.

dogfish
07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
1. eddie royal
2. robert ayers
3. alphonso smith
4. knowshon moreno
5. kyle orton
6. JD walton
7. demaryius thomas
8. zane beadles
9. mario haggan
10. britton colquitt

TXBRONC
07-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Moreno and Ayers need to step up for sure. If the line can hold a block I expect Moreno to get about 1300 yards this season. The line is young and banged up though, so we shall see. As for Ayers, I don't see how he doesn't have a better year off of just playing time alone. I thought he was close last season, just missing on some sacks.

I'm hopeful that Moreno will have better year because of what we saw from him last year. Ayers imho is a little more of mystery because he didn't see the field as much as Moreno did.

hamrob
07-24-2010, 11:17 PM
This season comes down to the Defense.

1. Dline
2. Ayers
3. Haggen
4. Dawkins

To put it simply...if the defense plays well...we're the 6-0 team from last year. If they don't...well you know what will happen.

Allow Orton to play from ahead...he'll be fine. Require him to play from behind...we won't like the result!

underrated29
07-24-2010, 11:28 PM
1-jamal williams
2- elvis--yes elvis.
3- Orton
4- jd
5- whoever is LG
6- clady
7- royal
8- ayers
9- moreno
10- haggan

BroncoWave
07-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Kinda ridiculous to put any rookie on the list. How can you say they should "step up" when they haven't even shown what they can do yet?