PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Dumervil still carries underdog mentality

TXBRONC
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
The title seems a little miss leading because the article starts off talking about Dumervil's new contract. But the main point is that even with money he's still says he play with a chip on his shoulder (my words not Dumervil's).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15589623?_requestid=4547321

Broncos' Dumervil still carries underdog mentality
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/24/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

For all his new money that includes an NFL-record guarantee among pass rushers, Elvis Dumervil still will be the Broncos' lowest-paid starting outside linebacker this season.

Dumervil led the league with 17 sacks last season and will make $3.168 million this season. Robert Ayers had zero sacks last year and will draw $5.12 million in 2010.

Not that Dumervil will have trouble playing catch-up. He will make $14 million in 2011, $14 million in 2012 and $12 million in 2013, all of which is guaranteed against injury. The turning point in the agreement came late Wednesday, when Broncos general manager Brian Xanders told Dumervil's agent, Gary Wichard, the team would guarantee the $12 million in 2013 against injury.

That brought Dumervil's total guarantee to $43.168 million, eclipsing the $42 million the Chicago Bears gave Julius Peppers in March for tops among NFL pass rushers.

"It was a great day for Elvis and a great day for the Broncos. I think that he is deserving of it, and he's deserving of it because he's been a very, very talented and important player, and what he did last year really was the cherry on top," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He has also been a really good presence and leader in the locker room for us off the field, and with the way he handled himself through this negotiation.

"Elvis and Chris (Kuper), both to their credit, they were here for our camps, did all those things, helped us improve in the offseason. They had to endure some waiting and some patience," McDan-iels said.

"I think it's a model for anybody. I don't think we need a lot of players to be examples for other players. They just did a great job of really having some patience and doing their part, handling themselves with maturity. I wouldn't expect anything different from anyone in the locker room."

Now that Dumervil has all that loot coming his way, the first expectation should be that his sack totals will go down.

As much as the switch last season from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker provided Dumervil with an element of pass-blitz surprise, his production last year and riches in the next six years will remove the chances opponents will underestimate him.

Dumervil counters by suggesting it would be a mistake to underestimate his lifelong attachment to his role as undersized underdog.

"It's going to be tough, but a lot of teams passed on me before the Broncos selected me with the 126th pick," Dumervil said. "I'm wanting to show these other teams what they missed out on. I'm obsessed with that. I feel bitter about those decisions.

"Now I want to prove to other teams that the Broncos were right in wanting to reward me by extending me. I'm just getting started. I don't play the game for money. It's nice to know I don't have to have to worry about taking care of my family, but I love the game."

For all the scouting, film study and secretive nature in the NFL evaluation process, dominant talent can be found almost by accident. Dumervil led the NCAA with 20 sacks and 10 forced fumbles in his senior season at Louisville.

He was still there in the fourth round when the Broncos nabbed him.

Ayers had a career-best four sacks his junior season at Tennessee, three as a senior. He was drafted in the first round.

Note to NFL war-room czars: When you are on the clock, how about taking one last look at the stat page before making that next pick?

Still, Dumervil figures to become marked by opposing protection schemes this season. He will be marked first by the left or right tackle, then by the tight end. And if not the tight end, then a nearby guard or running back.

All those blockers could mean Dumervil will occasionally need someone else — a teammate taking on fewer blockers — to reach the quarterback.

"We have guys all over," Dumervil said. "You have Robert Ayers, who I think had a tremendous offseason. And Jarvis Moss had a real good offseason as well. And I think we have a really smart coaching staff. I'm sure I'm not going to be just at one point. I'm sure I'm going to be moved around.

"If my sack totals are down and other guys make plays, that's what it's all about. It's not about the numbers all the time. It's about how effective I can be in terms of freeing someone up."

Lindsay H. Jones contributed to this story.

Northman
07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Yea, he's stated a number of times that his play and intensity wont change and im so glad we have him locked up.