PDA

View Full Version : Why Oh Why

aberdien
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Why must I suck so badly at Woodshop? In there I pretty much feel like an ant would feel if it were in woodshop (what?)

But I get all nervous and what not and I have no idea why when I get into the class. I feel so retarded everyday in there because I probably lack a common sense? I dunno.

Anyways, what easy classes do/did you suck at in school?

dogfish
09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
i wouldn't sweat it too much. . . woodshop skills aren't exactly a big requirement for living a good life-- i think you'll make it without them. . . .

hopefully, you weren't leaning towards a career in carpentry?

aberdien
09-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Haha no not really.

I guess the main reason I don't enjoy the class is because the teacher makes me feel dumb when I don't know what exactly to do or i'm skeptical about using a saw because I don't want to screw anything up.

dogfish
09-13-2007, 09:58 PM
don't let him make you feel dumb-- not to bag on teaching, a very honorable and necessary profession, but you don't exactly have to be at the very tip-top of the evolutionary ladder to teach woodshop. . . . :laugh:

MasterShake
09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
The only thing I ever made in woodshop was a mess. Yet somehow I grew up to be a responsible adult with a cartoon milkshake for an avatar.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Haha no not really.

I guess the main reason I don't enjoy the class is because the teacher makes me feel dumb when I don't know what exactly to do or i'm skeptical about using a saw because I don't want to screw anything up.

Do you think you could find some tips on google?

Day1BroncoFan
09-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Haha no not really.

Sounds like maybe some of the blame is the teacher in this case.

Maybe you could go to the teacher after school and ask him/her to help you.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-14-2007, 12:27 AM
The only thing I ever made in woodshop was a mess. Yet somehow I grew up to be a responsible adult with a cartoon milkshake for an avatar.

if i were you aber it sounds like i would put a lot of effort into woodshop:laugh:

jk mastershake, i agree though its woodshop, all you have to do is try and you'll pass kinda like art classes just give it your best

GEM
09-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I took a stupid woodshop class in jr high...figured it was an easy a.....it was.

6 mos out of my life and all my mom has to show for it is a stupid piece of wood in the shape of a key with some hooks on it. My mom still has that stupid thing hanging next to the garage. :laugh:

Dr Velcro
09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Why must I suck so badly at Woodshop? In there I pretty much feel like an ant would feel if it were in woodshop (what?)

But I get all nervous and what not and I have no idea why when I get into the class. I feel so retarded everyday in there because I probably lack a common sense? I dunno.

Anyways, what easy classes do/did you suck at in school?

Since I can wood sculpt...I could help you out, lol.
I know how to refinish furniture too!

I was good in art, English...but my problems were in math.

Not just basic math...but trig.

Trig...

Eweeeee

BigBroncLove
09-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I love woodworking. It's to bad you don't like it, it sure isn't for everyone, but I get a lot of satisfaction working and shaping wood until you have something beautiful. It is dangerous though, so I can understand being hesitent about it.

I will tell ou one class I sucked at that was easy, and that was Home Ec. (is that how you spell it?). I kicked butt at the cooking portion of it, and for a few years after it, I knew all the different forks, knives, spoons, and how to properly set a table for elegent functions, but when it got to the sewing part, I was terrible!

We had to sew a pillow together for the last part of the sewign part of the class and mine ended up looking like this mis-shapen cloud looking thing with some of the stuffing inside coming out. It was a mess..... but I got credit for trying lol. The year after that, they stopped having Home ec classes altogether. It's to bad to, because it was a ton of fun even though I sucked at sewing....

dogfish
09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I love woodworking. It's to bad you don't like it, it sure isn't for everyone, but I get a lot of satisfaction working and shaping wood until you have something beautiful. It is dangerous though, so I can understand being hesitent about it.

I will tell ou one class I sucked at that was easy, and that was Home Ec. (is that how you spell it?). I kicked butt at the cooking portion of it, and for a few years after it, I knew all the different forks, knives, spoons, and how to properly set a table for elegent functions, but when it got to the sewing part, I was terrible!

We had to sew a pillow together for the last part of the sewign part of the class and mine ended up looking like this mis-shapen cloud looking thing with some of the stuffing inside coming out. It was a mess..... but I got credit for trying lol. The year after that, they stopped having Home ec classes altogether. It's to bad to, because it was a ton of fun even though I sucked at sewing....

that's funny. . . i'm pretty good at domestic stuff (for a dude, anyways)-- i'm a damn good cook-- but the sewing part of home ec killed me too. . . i had to have my mom do my projects for me so i didn't fail. . . . :lol: :laugh:

SmithOverTO
09-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I know how you feel. My dad convinced me to take a welding class way back when and I nearly killed eight people. :first:

\

Skywalker
09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
I had to take woodshop in middle school for 7th and 8th grade...I made a clock each time.

Our teacher was crazy...he shouldn't have been teaching woodshop because of all the noise...sometimes he'd jump under the desks and act like it was a war. I'm guessing he was in the Vietnam war...