PDA

View Full Version : CLADY-Season to Speak for Itself

WARHORSE
06-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Ryan Clady-Starting LT Denver Broncos

So far, the advertising has been truthful. No. 1 draft choice Ryan Clady has been impressive during the Broncos' offseason mini-camps.
How impressive?
"I'd like to reserve comment," Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison said. "I'm still waiting on him to see what he does."
He would like to reserve comment. All right, everybody, on cue: Duh! This is the Broncos' offensive line we're talking about. Those guys reserve more comments than tee times. For the most part, they speak only when they're spoken to. Right. By their wives, maybe.
So, Tom Nalen, what do you think of . . . Tom? Tom?
Ben Hamilton, what about the rookie?
"Whatever Ryan says. He speaks for me."
For the record, Clady isn't big on sound bites, either. Nice kid, real nice, but softspoken. In other words, a perfect match for the Broncos' offensive line.
"He's the type of guy who handles himself just like offensive linemen normally handle themselves," Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said. "Very quiet, very composed, doesn't say a whole lot. He's a guy who'll be accepted right away."
The first true test on the field will have to wait for training camp in July, when the pads come on. For now, Clady is focusing on fitting in, learning the playbook and being accepted by his teammates. And how do you do that? By talking more softly than you walk.
"You can't be opening your mouth too much as a rookie," Clady said. "The vets get on you a little faster if you do that."
In other words, since Clady isn't about to say it himself, he gets it. He isn't just a premier prospect whose quickness and agility belie his nearly 320 pounds. He knows the drill. He came equipped with size, speed and savvy, the likes of which you don't always see in a rookie.
According to the NFL's sacred scriptures, there's an initiation process that every rookie must endure. He has to check his attitude at the door. He has to do a lot of listening and very little talking. He has to sing his college fight song at training camp. He has to carry the veterans' helmets off the practice field.
Not that Clady will have to do any of that stuff. No, he'll have to do even more. He is, after all, joining the offensive line, the most tightly knit unit on the Broncos. And he was, after all, the 12th pick in the draft, a far cry from the other projected starters, none of whom went higher than the fourth round.
"When you're No. 12, the microscope is on you," Broncos right guard Montrae Holland said.
The microscope is on you, all right. And the dinner tabs. Clady can count on picking up a few of those this season. That, too, is part of the rite of initiation, particularly when you're about to pocket $11 million before playing a down in the NFL.
That's the number, give or take a Mercedes or two, that Clady figures to receive as a signing bonus. To put that figure in perspective, consider this: It's almost as much as the $12 million-plus that Nalen, a five-time Pro Bowler and certain Ring of Famer, has received in bonus money in his career.
And so it is that Clady's favorite words this season figure to be "Yes, sir" and "Check, please."
"Tommy (Nalen) surely will make him pay for a big dinner," Shanahan said. "I guarantee you it's going to cost him."
"I told him not to worry about it, that we'll take care of his money," Holland said. "I'm going to have to get with Tom and see what we've got in store for him. The kid is going to get it in the end, let's put it like that."
That's down the road, but his earliest experiences at Dove Valley have been all good. The veterans getting on a rookie's case and treating him like one of their own is a sure sign they like him. Oh, and one more thing. It's a dead giveaway that the kid can play.
"He sure looks the part," Broncos free safety John Lynch said. "I know we haven't put pads on, but he looks like a guy who could go to 10 Pro Bowls. He's got very good feet. That jumps out at you right away. And he's strong. I know from personal experience that, once he gets his hands on you, he's a strong guy."
Lynch isn't alone in his appraisal. Several veterans, on the record and off, have let it be known how impressed they are with Clady. One said he believes Clady can be a future all-pro. Sure, it's too early to be talking that kind of talk. Then again, sometimes you know right away with rookies.
Sometimes you can sense if they're comfortable on the field, where the pace is faster than anything they've experienced in college. And, by the same token, you can sense if they're overwhelmed, too.
Even first-rounders can fall into the latter category. Two cases in point: Ted Gregory, the Broncos' first-rounder in 1988, and Marcus Nash, the No. 1 in 1998. It was a matter of weeks, not months, when the veterans began wondering whether they could handle the physical challenge of life in the NFL. Sure enough, neither made the grade.
Clady, though, has shown every sign that he can be a special player, one capable of anchoring the left side of the line for the next decade.
"You never know, until they get in there and you actually see them practice, how they handle things mentally and physically," Shanahan said. "But he's done everything we've asked him to do and then some."
Said Holland: "I think the Broncos have a lot of good years ahead of them with him in there. He's 300-and-some pounds and he's moving like a guy 280 or 275. You get a kid like that who can learn to pick up the offense, you've got yourself a winner."
This much we already know: Playing in Denver will give Clady every chance to make it big. Having played at Boise State, he likes the low-key life. Every time he looks at the mountains, he's thankful he didn't get drafted by a major-market team.
"Definitely, it's a good match for me," Clady said. "It fits my personality, real mellow. It's a little slower than L.A. or New York." And it has cheaper restaurants, too. That's a good thing when you have several overgrown men to feed.

I think we hit the jackpot.:beer:

But I'll wait till the pads are on........:coffee:

NameUsedBefore
06-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I'm really interested in seeing how Clady turns out, especially in parallel to Foster.

MHCBill
06-19-2008, 06:01 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be better than Foster.

Fan in Exile
06-19-2008, 06:55 AM

That's not going out on a limb.:D

omac
06-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Great article, WARHORSE! :salute:

I couldn't stop myself from smiling while reading it. :cheers:

omac
06-19-2008, 07:13 AM
On another note, anyone have news on how Chris Williams is doing with the Bears? Our pick was either Clady or Williams.

Ziggy
06-19-2008, 07:48 AM
On another note, anyone have news on how Chris Williams is doing with the Bears? Our pick was either Clady or Williams.

Actually, if Clady was off the board, the Broncos were going to take Stewart according to inside reports after the draft. I campaigned for Williams prior to the draft, but I'm just thrilled that we adressed the O-line. I hope that Clady turns out to be the real deal in the long run. Can't wait to see him play against that Dallas D in training camp and preseason.:D

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Did we sign any of our rookies yet? What is taking so long?

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Did we sign any of our rookies yet? What is taking so long?

Boss this is nothing unusual. For the most part Denver doesn't get the majority of its picks signed until the week leading up to camp.

Also I think we have signed at least one of picks but I don't remember which one it was.

MHCBill
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Josh Barrett is signed...

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Josh Barrett is signed...

no he isn't

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 09:47 AM
no he isn't

Yes he is.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8084

Broncos Sign Barrett

Josh Barrett is the first of nine rookies to sign with the Broncos.

By Adam Zinser
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Thursday signed rookie safety Josh Barrett.

As per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Broncos selected Barrett with their first of two seventh round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft, making him the 220th player taken overall. The Arizona State product started 21 games during his final two seasons with the Sun Devils.

As a junior, he led ASU with 82 tackles and three interceptions as a 13-game starter, along with earning honorable mention all-conference honors. During his senior campaign in 2007, Barrett posted a career-high seven pass breakups while seeing time in 11 games with eight starts. He finished his career at ASU with 47 career games and 27 starts, 174 total tackles, 17 pass breakups, six interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

Barrett is the first of the Broncos nine draft picks to sign.

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes he is.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8084

Broncos Sign Barrett

Josh Barrett is the first of nine rookies to sign with the Broncos.

By Adam Zinser
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Thursday signed rookie safety Josh Barrett.

As per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Broncos selected Barrett with their first of two seventh round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft, making him the 220th player taken overall. The Arizona State product started 21 games during his final two seasons with the Sun Devils.

As a junior, he led ASU with 82 tackles and three interceptions as a 13-game starter, along with earning honorable mention all-conference honors. During his senior campaign in 2007, Barrett posted a career-high seven pass breakups while seeing time in 11 games with eight starts. He finished his career at ASU with 47 career games and 27 starts, 174 total tackles, 17 pass breakups, six interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

Barrett is the first of the Broncos nine draft picks to sign.

No he isn't

The NFL did not approve the Broncos' recent signing of rookie S Josh Barrett.

The Broncos announced the signing last week. The sides should go back to the bargaining table and still hammer out a deal well before training camp.
Source: Hashmarks Blog

NightTrainLayne
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM
No he isn't

The NFL did not approve the Broncos' recent signing of rookie S Josh Barrett.

The Broncos announced the signing last week. The sides should go back to the bargaining table and still hammer out a deal well before training camp.
Source: Hashmarks Blog

Didn't approve it? What was wrong with it?

MHCBill
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
He's not technically signed, but for all purposes... he is.

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Didn't approve it? What was wrong with it?

The NFL didn't like the way the contract was worded and they won't approve it, so the Broncos have to start over or improve it.

NightTrainLayne
06-19-2008, 10:23 AM
The NFL didn't like the way the contract was worded and they won't approve it, so the Broncos have to start over or improve it.

Weird, you'd think the contract for a 7th round draft pick would be the run-of-the-mill stock contract.

DenBronx
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
i thought at least a couple guys signed already. hopefully we can get this wrapped up in the next week or so.

clady does look like a beast though. nice to know he isnt a loud mouth either.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
i thought at least a couple guys signed already. hopefully we can get this wrapped up in the next week or so.

clady does look like a beast though. nice to know he isnt a loud mouth either.

This is common for Denver. They usually don't get the most of rookies inked until just before camp.

broncohead
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I like how some articles say 320 and some say 309... Which is it?

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I like how some articles say 320 and some say 309... Which is it?

309 at start of game.... 320 at end of game when blood and sweat soak up in his jersey.

shank
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
309 at start of game.... 320 at end of game when blood and sweat soak up in his jersey.

that doesn't make any sense. you're not adding anything external. maybe other people's blood and sweat... :whoknows:

i think he was 317 or something when he got to workouts, he may have dropped to 309 during workouts.

LordTrychon
06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
that doesn't make any sense. you're not adding anything external. maybe other people's blood and sweat... :whoknows:

i think he was 317 or something when he got to workouts, he may have dropped to 309 during workouts.

I think that's what he was implying. ;)

dogfish
06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
"The kid is going to get it in the end, let's put it like that."

actually montrae, some of us would prefer if you DIDN'T put it like that. . . . :huh:

Actually, if Clady was off the board, the Broncos were going to take Stewart according to inside reports after the draft. I campaigned for Williams prior to the draft, but I'm just thrilled that we adressed the O-line. I hope that Clady turns out to be the real deal in the long run. Can't wait to see him play against that Dallas D in training camp and preseason.:D

veeeeeeery interesting! i didn't see that. . . do you have a link to any of those reports? i'd love to read them. . . .

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 12:57 PM

I think his draft profile had him listed at 309 lbs and since being in Denver they have had listed at 317 lbs.

Lonestar
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Way to make a huge commitment.. :salute:

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Clady reminds me of Kwame Harris

dogfish
06-19-2008, 01:05 PM
boss. . . . :tsk:

shank
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM

this better be a reverse jinx-job in action.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Kwame Harris. . . lol.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Many people complain about Foster but Harris was worse and supposedly he the best offensive tackle in his draft class.

BeefStew25
06-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Boss,

Negatively is not very progressive of you.

Ziggy
06-19-2008, 01:33 PM
veeeeeeery interesting! i didn't see that. . . do you have a link to any of those reports? i'd love to read them. . . .

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/broncos/archives/2008/04/a_draft_review.html

A: Had Clady not been available -- there were scenarios leading up to the draft when Baltimore and Cincinnati both were looking at tackles in the opening round with picks before the Broncos -- Stewart would have certainly been considered and likely the pick when the Broncos' turn arrived.

Shanahan went as far as to speak to Stewart's doctor Friday, the night before the draft, to go over Stewart's recovery from surgery in early March to repair a turf toe condition. And they got a good enough report they likely would have selected Stewart with the pick had Clady already been off the board.

dogfish
06-19-2008, 01:37 PM
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1893/44rf52tyl3.gif

dogfish
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM

A: Had Clady not been available -- there were scenarios leading up to the draft when Baltimore and Cincinnati both were looking at tackles in the opening round with picks before the Broncos -- Stewart would have certainly been considered and likely the pick when the Broncos' turn arrived.

Shanahan went as far as to speak to Stewart's doctor Friday, the night before the draft, to go over Stewart's recovery from surgery in early March to repair a turf toe condition. And they got a good enough report they likely would have selected Stewart with the pick had Clady already been off the board.

cool, thanks!

yet another indication that the legend of shanahan never taking a 1st round back will probably be broken some day. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Harris let up twice as many sacks as Foster did in the same number of games. Foster actually was better than the league average, Harris was one of the worst.

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM

And I thought my fiancé was a tease

LordTrychon
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
cool, thanks!

yet another indication that the legend of shanahan never taking a 1st round back will probably be broken some day. . . .

Well, he's skipped out on it lately for

a) Franchise QB

b) Franchise LT

Franchise RB just seems to follow nicely, doesn't it? *drool*

dogfish
06-19-2008, 01:44 PM

a) Franchise QB

b) Franchise LT

yes, yes it does. . . .

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm all for Brandon Jacobs in 2009 if shanahan doesn't want to draft a good back.

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/mane83triple/Clady.jpg

Ziggy
06-19-2008, 02:12 PM

a) Franchise QB

b) Franchise LT

Yes, supposedly Mulroney was the pick in 2006 had they not drafted Jay Cutler. He's turned out to be average so far, despite running behind a very good offensive line and the best passing attack in the NFL. With Jay and Brandon, we may have gotten 2 of the top 5 players in the 2006 draft.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM

I remember Shanahan saying that Stewart was one his top five.

If remember correctly it the top five were Clady (obviously), Williams, Albert, and Stewart and Mendenhall. Now as far as what the order was after Clady I don't know.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, supposedly Mulroney was the pick in 2006 had they not drafted Jay Cutler. He's turned out to be average so far, despite running behind a very good offensive line and the best passing attack in the NFL. With Jay and Brandon, we may have gotten 2 of the top 5 players in the 2006 draft.

New England doesn't emphasize running the ball though. They just air it out. In a run first system, Maroney would be doing great.

Ziggy
06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
New England doesn't emphasize running the ball though. They just air it out. In a run first system, Maroney would be doing great.

That's one opinion. Another is that if you can't average more than 4.4 yards per carry with a team that has a very good offensive line, a great passing game, and one that almost never sees 8 or 9 in the box against it, you're an average back. Any defense that plays against New England has to defend the pass first. That's a RB's dream. Even in limited carries, his average YPC should be better than 4.4.

Lonestar
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
That's one opinion. Another is that if you can't average more than 4.4 yards per carry with a team that has a very good offensive line, a great passing game, and one that almost never sees 8 or 9 in the box against it, you're an average back. Any defense that plays against New England has to defend the pass first. That's a RB's dream. Even in limited carries, his average YPC should be better than 4.4.

but they pass out the kazoo..

586 attempts last year vs 451 runs he only played in 13 games and did indeed average 4.5 on 185 runs 49 first downs Zero Fumbles
he was the workhorse..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/patriots/

Whereas in 2005 we had 465 passes 542 runs..and averaged 4.7
2007 515 passes and 429 runs 4.6

Ziggy
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
but they pass out the kazoo..

586 attempts last year vs 451 runs he only played in 13 games and did indeed average 4.5 on 185 runs 49 first downs Zero Fumbles
he was the workhorse..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/patriots/

Whereas in 2005 we had 465 passes 542 runs..and averaged 4.7
2007 515 passes and 429 runs 4.6

I was using his career average of 4.4. In 2006 the Pats were fairly balanced, with 499 rushes/527 passes. His YPC was 4.3 In 2007 they were more of a pass first team, with 451 rushes/586 passes. His numbers went up to 4.5 YPC that season. Even though he was sharing the load in 2006, he had only 10 less carries for the season.

omac
06-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Yeah, me too. Way before the draft, I was hoping that we'd get a good DT, but I later realized that the available ones would be gone too early, or too much of a reach for our position. Since we couldn't get an elite DT, an elite OT was great.

I also thought Williams would be the better fit, but now I think Denver made the right choice. :cheers:

weazel
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
As long as Clady works out, I dont care. Just dont want to see another major bust

rcsodak
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm thankful they didn't get Williams. I heard more bad than good on him. Plus, wasn't he on the Oline when Cutler was running for his life??? Thought so.

I think the right guy got drafted.

rcsodak
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I remember Shanahan saying that Stewart was one his top five.

If remember correctly it the top five were Clady (obviously), Williams, Albert, and Stewart and Mendenhall. Now as far as what the order was after Clady I don't know.
Well, remember, Tx....

...that's the info that is being "fed" to us.

Nobody but Shanny really knows who the choices were.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, remember, Tx....

...that's the info that is being "fed" to us.

Nobody but Shanny really knows who the choices were.

The comment I heard came after the draft, by the time it was made it would have no impact on the draft.

rcsodak
06-20-2008, 06:22 AM
The comment I heard came after the draft, by the time it was made it would have no impact on the draft.

ok...:confused:

Not sure what that has to do with anything....

I'm just saying that NONE of us know who he had in his sights.....

Agree?;) I mean, we ARE talking Shannahan.