PDA

View Full Version : Nfl.com's Top 10 Mobile QB's in NFL History

BOSSHOGG30
06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Top 10 mobile quarterbacks in NFL history (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8089c108&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Donovan McNabb
McNabb went from being booed on draft day to using his strong arm and nimble feet to lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl in 24 years.

Doug Flutie
Often criticized for being small in stature, the crafty and motivated Flutie came up big when his team needed a play.

Jim Zorn
Further proof that milk does a body good, Zorn drank his and then helped lead the expansion Seahawks to respectability with his mobility.

Dan Marino
Not at all known for being fleet of foot and known more for what he could do with his arm, Marino makes this NFL's Top 10 list for another reason.

Roger Staubach
After winning the Heisman Trophy while at the Naval Academy, Staubach went on to a decorated career with the Cowboys.

Michael Vick
Vick's when-in-doubt-run philosophy netted a 1,000-yard rushing season in 2006, becoming the first quarterback to do so.

Randall Cunningham
During his heyday with the Eagles, Cunningham was as much of a threat to pass as he was to improvise on the run.

Steve Young
Young ran out of the shadow of 49ers legend Joe Montana and created his own legacy as one of the game's most dangerous quarterbacks.

Fran Tarkenton
Aside from being one of the NFL's best passers, Tarkenton attracted widespread attention as an exciting scrambler.

I think they are missing someone from their list! What were they thinking!

Nature Boy
06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I guess John Elway is automatically the best so it wasn't necessary to mention his name.

Fan in Exile
06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I remember this coming up for discussion when the show first aired, and I believe that the biggest problem that they had was that there wasn't any kind of criteria for what was a mobile QB. I think it's foolish that they don't have Elway there.

The play that he made in the super bowl rushing for a TD is iconic. If he's not in the top ten the list doesn't make any sense to me.

NameUsedBefore
06-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Dan Marino?

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Dan Marino?

I saw the show when it aired. He was actually towards the top... their argument was that he was really shifty in the pocket. OOOOOH...... :rolleyes:

They needed to define 'mobile' before they ranked QBs.

Maybe this would make sense if it was the most 'elusive QBs of all time'... Afterall, Elway WAS the most sacked QB of all time.

But Mobile? He belongs in the top few.

weazel
06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Im not surprised that Elway is not on there, Broncos players never get put on any lists.

BUT what the hell is Marino doing on there??????

I stopped reading when I seen his name, sorry.

Vick and Cunningham should be 1 and 2 (either way), but I will never know because I wil lnever read the rest of this rubbish

MOtorboat
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Dan ******* Marino makes this list, and not Elway.

LOL...

Yup, media outlets have no clue what they are talking about....

topscribe
06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
"Marino makes this NFL's Top 10 list for another reason"

What would that be? That he is the brother-in-law to one of the evaluators?

And Elway's name is not there? They must not have anybody on staff older
than 18 because they never heard Lawrence Taylor talk about trying to run
Elway down.

I did.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Unfortunate John isn't on the list, but I don't disagree with Marino being on the list. He wasn't going to scramble, but his feet and pocket presence were pretty dope. OTOH, how did Randall C. not make this list? Jeez.

topscribe
06-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I think the problem is, why is Marino there and not Elway?

Why is Marino there and not Montana?

Why is Marino rated above Tarkenton, above Young, as a mobile QB?

Why do those idiots who wrote that even have jobs?

-----

TXBRONC
06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
I remember seeing this top ten list a few months back and its only one I really felt that NFL Net was wrong.

jrelway
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
:eek:marino makes the list but elway doesnt. WOW

topscribe
06-18-2008, 09:32 PM
"McNabb went from being booed on draft day to using his strong arm and nimble
feet to lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl in 24 years."

Elway used his strong arm and nimble feet to lead the Broncos to FIVE Super Bowls.

-----

NameUsedBefore
06-18-2008, 09:43 PM

I think the other choices define "mobile" quite well. The list is full of QBs known for being excellent runners and then bam, you have Dan Marino who has like 50-yards of rushing total for his career. I don't know how you can put all these players on there, but not include Elway. That just doesn't make any sense.

TXBRONC
06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I saw the show when it aired. He was actually towards the top... their argument was that he was really shifty in the pocket. OOOOOH...... :rolleyes:

Maybe this would make sense if it was the most 'elusive QBs of all time'... Afterall, Elway WAS the most sacked QB of all time.

But Mobile? He belongs in the top few.

They did define what they meant by mobile. How they defined as a quarterback who could evade the rush and not just the ability to run. That's how they justified Marino being in the top ten. However, I think that's a weak argument for including Marino and excluding Elway.

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
They did define what they meant by mobile. How they defined as a quarterback who could evade the rush and not just the ability to run. That's how they justified Marino being in the top ten. However, I think that's weak a argument for including Marino and excluding Elway.

Well, but Marino was really the only one that was 'that kind' of mobile.

They even make excuses for putting him on there in their summary.

*shrug*

TXBRONC
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM

*shrug*

Exactly.

For heaven's sake they put Bobby Douglas in their top ten. The only thing he could do was run the ball he sure as hell couldn't throw it to save his life.

Lonestar
06-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I can see at least two on that list that should not be the Dan Marino who defined non mobile. and vick while a great running back certainly was never a QB..

TXBRONC
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I can see at least two on that list that should not be the Dan Marino who defined non mobile. and vick while a great running back certainly was never a QB..

While Vick wasn't a passer he was still light years ahead of Bobby Douglas.

topscribe
06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Exactly.

For heaven's sake they put Bobby Douglas in their top ten. The only thing he could do was run the ball he sure as hell couldn't throw it to save his life.

Where's Bradlee Van Pelt, anyway?

-----

topscribe
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM

*shrug*

"Kind of" mobile? If you consider the Capitol Life building in downtown Denver "kind of" mobile.

-----

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 11:05 PM

-----

One of my favorite plays of all time was when Plummer lined up at wide out and BVP took the snap and ran it in.

Oh man was that funny as hell. The looks on the faces of the chiefs... Priceless. :laugh:

TXBRONC
06-18-2008, 11:05 PM

-----

I guess he wasn't in there because he never started.

topscribe
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I guess he wasn't in there because he never started.

Well then, if he never threw a pass as a starter, he did better than Bobby Douglas, didn't he?

-----

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
"Kind of" mobile? If you consider the Capitol Life building in downtown Denver "kind of" mobile.

-----

You moved my quotes.

I said "That kind" as in... they were using a different definition for mobile than the rest of the english speaking world.

You said "kind of" as in somewhat or partially qualifying. To be fair, I think it would be very hard to sack the Capitol Life building. That's what they were going for.

;)

topscribe
One of my favorite plays of all time was when Plummer lined up at wide out and BVP took the snap and ran it in.

Oh man was that funny as hell. The looks on the faces of the chiefs... Priceless. :laugh:

Somebody ought to put that on YouTube. :laugh:

-----

TXBRONC
Well then, if he never threw a pass as a starter, he did better than Bobby Douglas, didn't he?

-----

Barely. :laugh:

Lonestar
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM

-----

his completion percentage was..
Rating was probably higher also..

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Somebody ought to put that on YouTube. :laugh:

-----

:laugh:

I just finished searching for it.

Anybody got that one?

scott.475
06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Having Marino on the list disqualifies the entire thing, I don't care how convoluted the reasoning they used to justify it. Less than 100 rushing yards in his entire career! Maybe they included running away from the line of scrimmage, because when I looked at his stats, he has more games with negative yards than positive yards. Maybe he is the QB with the most yards running away from the LOS, which would make him a certain kind of mobile, I guess, but certainly nothing to celebrate!

shank
06-18-2008, 11:45 PM
all these lists are retarded. every interviewee disagrees with every player and their position on every episode. elway was #2 for clutch quarterbacks! that's the easiest freaking pick ever to make, and they messed it up!

i stopped watching after that, because they are wrong very very often.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't doubt it if they did it on purpose in order to stir debate.

Northman
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
The fact that Marino makes this list is just plain embarrassing.

Slick
06-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I looked at some stats on nfl.com

The only justification I can come up with for having Marino on the list and not John is sacks compared to pass attempts.

John: 7250 Pass Attempts-sacked 516 times
Dan : 8358 Pass Attempts-sacked 270 times

Hobe
06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Dan Marino on a mobile QB list is a joke! He lost a whole season because he took one step side ways and tore out his Achilles.:rofl:

BOSSHOGG30
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
They must of missed all the Raider versus Broncos games because how many times did Elway beat the Raiders single handly by wearing their defense down by running them into the ground by the 4th Quarter?

Maybe they missed the Elway helicopter run for a 1st down when the man was well in his late 30's.

Maybe they don't remember all the bootleg runs that Elway executed to profection

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
In 'The Fumble' game, #7 made a play which to me still defines the concept of a mobile quarterback.........

Early in the third, Cleveland had just scored to narrow the lead to 21-10. Elway took a snap, rolling out to his right virtually runs into the Browns pass rush. Reversing direction, he rolled to the left, virtually running into one of his linemen (Keith Bishop?) before recovering his balance and firing a trademark Elway laser to Mark Jackson who romped home with a trail of defenders in his wake for an 80 yard score................a mobile quarterback at his best :rockon:

BroncoJoe
06-19-2008, 04:58 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Elway-1.jpg

BroncoJoe
06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
They must of missed all the Raider versus Broncos games because how many times did Elway beat the Raiders single handly by wearing their defense down by running them into the ground by the 4th Quarter?

Maybe they missed the Elway helicopter run for a 1st down when the man was well in his late 30's.

Maybe they don't remember all the bootleg runs that Elway executed to profection

What game was it where a LB came untouched straight up the middle? Elway ducked at the last moment (looked like he was going to be killed) then threw a rocket 50 yards. Might have even been a TD, but I can't remember exactly.

BroncoJoe
06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Later in the play - he did escape this...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_xmQ5kV2el90/RbJLMxNfMmI/AAAAAAAAAAM/IGJ-bZActYw/s1600/Elway.jpg

Skinny
06-19-2008, 05:21 PM
What game was it where a LB came untouched straight up the middle? Elway ducked at the last moment (looked like he was going to be killed) then threw a rocket 50 yards. Might have even been a TD, but I can't remember exactly.I faintly remember that play. It was a strike to Shannon i beleive and it was an away game. We had white jerseys on and i want to say @ Seattle, when they were in the AFC West. Not 100% though.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 05:45 PM
What game was it where a LB came untouched straight up the middle? Elway ducked at the last moment (looked like he was going to be killed) then threw a rocket 50 yards. Might have even been a TD, but I can't remember exactly.

I remember alot of plays like that, however my most resent memory of play like with Elway at quarterback back was 1995 in Seattle. Elway ducked the rush and threw a perfect strike to none other than Sharpe. It may actually been more than 50 yards.

TXBRONC
06-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I faintly remember that play. It was a strike to Shannon i beleive and it was an away game. We had white jerseys on and i want to say @ Seattle, when they were in the AFC West. Not 100% though.

That's the one I remember.:beer:

broncobryce
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah I was really pissed he wasn't on there too. I am glad you guys noticed. Marino WAS NOT mobile. He was a pocket guy, sidestep the rush, but not mobile. Is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady mobile? No, they move in the pocket well. John Elway was the MVP of the NFL in like 87 or 88, because he made plays with his feet. It's also laughable they have Doug Flutie on there, although he is mobile, how the **** do you think of him and not Elway!!!

G_Money
06-20-2008, 12:09 AM
This is a little old, but there's a couple of key lines in it.

JOHN ELWAY

NFL Highlights:
• Set the NFL career record for most wins as a starting quarterback with 148
• Tied the NFL record for most seasons with 3,000 or more yards passing with 12
• Oldest player to score a touchdown in a Super Bowl at the age of 37 (Super Bowl XXXII)
• Denver Broncos' all-time passing leader in yardage with 51,475 yards and touchdown passes with 300
• Played in six AFC championship games
• Played in five Super Bowls, winning two
• Selected to play in the Pro Bowl nine times
• Set the record for most rushing attempts by a quarterback with 687
• Finished career second behind Dan Marino in passing yards (51,475), attempts (7,250), completions (4,123) and total offense (54,882)
• At the time of his retirement, he held or was tied for 53 regular season Bronco records.
• The only player to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 200 yards in the same year for seven straight seasons (1985-91)
• Named NFL Most Valuable Player in 1987
• Named AFC Player of the Year in 1993
• Set an NFL record with 47 fourth quarter comebacks
• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2004)

How do you forget the greatest QB-who-could-also-run of all-time? The only argument I'll hear to that is Steve Young. Cunningham had better legs but was a worse QB, Vick was barely a QB at all, and Doug Flutie COULD have been the greatest scrambling QB if the NFL had let him play in his prime...but they didn't, so he isn't.

If the list is for QB with the best legs, then John's "only" top-5. If it's for greatest mobile QB (and not the QB with the greatest mobility), then John's #1.

It's the freakin' NFL Network - they own every piece of archival footage in existence. You think maybe they should watch some before coming out with stupid lists that put Marino ahead of Elway at the thing that kept Elway ALIVE long enough to go to 5 Super Bowls behind that crappy line?

~G

Bronco Bible
06-20-2008, 05:55 PM

I think it was Seattle:D

topscribe
06-20-2008, 05:58 PM
In 'The Fumble' game, #7 made a play which to me still defines the concept of a mobile quarterback.........

Early in the third, Cleveland had just scored to narrow the lead to 21-10. Elway took a snap, rolling out to his right virtually runs into the Browns pass rush. Reversing direction, he rolled to the left, virtually running into one of his linemen (Keith Bishop?) before recovering his balance and firing a trademark Elway laser to Mark Jackson who romped home with a trail of defenders in his wake for an 80 yard score................a mobile quarterback at his best :rockon:

That almost perfectly matches the description Tom Jackson once jokingly
gave of a typical Elway play:

"Elway takes the snap and looks downfield. Nobody's open. He runs all the
way to the left sideline. Nobody's open. He runs to the right sideline.
Nobody's open. He runs back to the left sideline and throws the ball 80 yards."

:lol:

-----

Den21vsBal19
06-20-2008, 06:03 PM
That almost perfectly matches the description Tom Jackson once jokingly
gave of a typical Elway play:

"Elway takes the snap and looks downfield. Nobody's open. He runs all the
way to the left sideline. Nobody's open. He runs to the right sideline.
Nobody's open. He runs back to the left sideline and throws the ball 80 yards."

:lol:

-----
What do you mean 'jokingly' ? :laugh:

I've still got the UK highlights of that game on VHS somewhere :eek:, and despite the fumble, that is the first play that springs to mind when that game's brought up......

broncosfanscott
06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Elway not on the list.......not surprised Broncos are forgotten. This is another reason I don't really like lists and stuff because it is based on the opinion of who does the list.